View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Workout 10/05/12:

by , October 5th, 2012 at 02:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

4 x 100 FR on 1:20 with snorkel
    10 x 50 on 1:00
    - odds kick
    - evens stroke - strong DPS

1 x 300 pull with buoy
    - 100 each Fr/Bk/Fr

12 x 25 on (dodge lane traffic)
    - odds underwater work
    - evens FAST stroke

1 x 200 with snorkel loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2300 yds/45 min)
    --------------------------

More or less a recovery day today that got me over the 200 mile mark for GTD. Time to run some last minute errands, then off to the Men's Retreat this weekend in NH - might try to hop in the lake there during our free time tomorrow afternoon. Always nice to get away and put into practice that quote from the Faith Lane box to the left:

"I need some time with God and a mental vacation." TobyMac
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 10/04/12: morning(?) and noon

by , October 4th, 2012 at 06:09 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, not really a double, but I tired.

With rain and overcast skies still looming (remember, it is my vacation week), Greg and I canceled our plans for an OW adventure. Since my morning was quiet anyways, I decided to head up to Woodford State Park to check out the lake there, which is about 15 minutes from home. Here are some pictures, although fog was the primary sight instead of the brilliant colors that are hanging from the trees.

Road to the lake

Noted.

Feeling a little creeped out about now ...

So, now I pop on the suit that I had in the car and venture into the water. I setup the GPS on my phone and started into the water. Burr! Water temp was about 66, with air temp in the upper 60's. Not really a problem as I have been in colder water before, so I took some time to wade in and get "comfortable." Still couldn't see much of anything when I started swimming into the mist. After about ten strokes I realized two things - I could not really tell where I was, and the water there is clear. At this point, I made an executive decision - get the heck out!

All I could think about the clip AZTimm left on a blog post earlier in the summer. Oh well, a lesson learned here - best to actually be able to see 50 yards in front of you when trying out a new place to swim.
    -------------------------------

Anyway, I girded up my loins and got to the Rec for a swim at lunchtime.

2 x 500 FR on 7:30 with snorkel
    4 x 100 Kick on 1:50

1 x 50 ez
    8 x 50 on :50
    - Quarter's Strong
    - 1-4 Fr (hold 34's), 5-8 Bk (hold 38's)

200 loosen and out with snorkel
    -------------------
    (Solo/Rec/2650 yds/45 min)

Still using that snorkel. I went 6:45 on the first, then 6:52 on the second, and worked on keeping spl around 12-13. Dropped the interval on the kicking down from 2:00 and was able to get 10-15 seconds rest on each. Then worked on those Quarter's Strong to make the 12.5yd sections AFAP.

Off to my coworkers retirement party tonight, then plan to hop in for a swim tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Open Water
  3. Workout 10/02/12: evening

by , October 2nd, 2012 at 10:53 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I was still not feeling altogether enthusiastic about swimming tonight, but I was encouraged when I saw Matt and GregJS's cars in the parking lot of the Rec Center. While waiting for the age-groupers to hop out I suggested that IM set I didn't get to do yesterday, and they both were crazy enough to try it with me as the main set.

w/u: 200 FR/200 Bk/200 IM drill

5 x 200 done as 50 Stroke Hard + 150 DPS free, IM order rounds 1-4, then 200 IM for time on the last one. - I did ...
    - Fly (50 yds) plus Free on 3:00
    - Back (75 yds) plus Free on 3:00
    - Breast (50 yds - got smoked) plus Free on 3:10
    - Free (50 yds) plus, well, it's all free on 3:10
    - FAST 200 IM: went 2:31
    (I came in around 2:40-5 for the first four)

4 x 50 FR Active Recovery (:45, :50, :55, :60)
    4 x 100 Kick on 2:15 (IM order)
    1 x 50 loosen those arms up for ...

4 x 50 on 1:00
    - Hypoxic work down (breathe 4/5/6/7), FAST back to the start
    - I used the snorkel on 2-4

10 Deep Water bobs into
    4 x 25 on :35
    - odds = 12.5 Race pace, 12.5 cruise
    - evens = 12.5 cruise, 12.5 Race pace
    (I did Bk odds and Fr evens)

100 loosen with snorkel and out
    (Masters/Rec/2650yds/ 60 min)
    ------------------------------
    I forgot how much fun that little IM/stoke set was! It has a good blend of "get the heart pounding" on the stroke, then "settle down" into a techniquey DPS free interlude before some rest. Both Matt and Greg are excellent "evil strokers" (I like that, Fort), so I knew that I would be staring at toes but it pushed me to really work it. I then set to building each 50 of the IM and was happy with that time.

Matt picked the kick set, and it had enough rest that I made it despite my abysmal breaststroke kick. We then went into some speed work to finish out the night and ended up tacking on some extra rest so as not to swim these too fatigued.

So it was just us three tonight, and both these guys really pushed me to dig deeper. Greg did a fantastic job getting through these hard sets, and we all left a tad winded! I'm planning on staying dry tomorrow, but will likely hit the gym for some weights. Greg and I are looking at perhaps a lake swim on Thursday, then I'll get in on Friday before leaving on a Men's Retreat with my son for the long weekend. Maybe I can swim in the lake over there on Saturday afternoon
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 10/02/12: morning

by , October 2nd, 2012 at 01:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Today was a prime example of wanting to just get out of the pool before warmups were complete ...

10 x 50 on :45 (5th one back, rest free)
    5 x 100 kick on 2:00
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1800 yds/30 min)
    --------------------------------

Tuesday mornings are well know for being crowded, so I didn't bring my bag of toys with me. Ended up splitting a lane the whole time I was there. Felt horrible in the water, but muddled through with a focus on DPS.

Plan to get back tonight for Masters practice and swim, with more gusto than I have now.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 10/01/12:

by , October 1st, 2012 at 06:13 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Played basketball last night with my son as planned. Not a large turnout with nine guys, so we played 4 x 4 with my team having a sub every five points. We played three games to 21 over 90 minutes, and then I had to leave to get home. Still need to get basketball shoes ...

Got in today at lunch for the following swim:

3 x 500's done as a 400 Fr with snorkel + 100 back active recovery, all on 7 minutes
    - Rd 1: 1 x 400 (5:10)
    - Rd 2: 2 x 200, :10 SR (2:31, :30)
    - Rd 3: 4 x 100, :10 SR (1:10, :14, :13, :12)
    (started to get crowded here) ...

4 x 100 Kick Quarter's Strong on 2:00
    2 x 200 DPS Pull with buoy (one free, one back)
    (keep avoiding traffic, keep avoiding traffic)
    1 x 200 with snorkel loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3100 yds/60 min)

Not as sore from basketball. Used my running sneaks instead of my cross-trainers, which seemed to help. I'm still in organization mode at the house, and fired up my old pc with Windows 98 to aid in logging numbers so I can shred the papers I don't need to keep. Why do I mention this? Not sure ... Thought That Guy might get a kick out of it Anyways, I was sucked into watching The Promise on Hulu - really interesting series. Missed the last half of the fourth and final episode to go to bball, so I need to finish watching that. This is why I try not to watch the boob-tube: too distracting.

Slept in again today. The swim was good. I had intended to get into the water 30 minutes early but went for a walk with my wife so just swam for an hour. I forget where I saw that main set - could've been an old pwb workout or maybe from the marathon swimmers forum. I forget. Goal is to descend add-up time 6-8 seconds as you go through, which I accomplished (5:10, 5:01, 4:49), and kept the snorkel in check for the most part.

I was going to go into a nice 200 stroke set I found from my blog in October of last year, but there were too many people in the lane. I just went to near-IG mode with some kicking and technique work. Did some nice conversing with lane-mates as well

Off to the shredder!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 09/29/12:

by , September 30th, 2012 at 12:45 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Coached the morning Masters group today during our open house. GregJS and five others made it out and I think everyone left a tad tired, so I did my job well. Meg noted that she has had some interest, but folks plan on starting back when the fall session starts in two weeks.

This evening I jumped in and did:

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

2 x Noah's Ark on 7:00 with snorkel
    - 1st: FR pull with buoy (6:32)
    - 2nd: FR swim (did extra 50: 6:51)
    1 x 50 EZ

4 x 125 IM's on 2:00
    - fly-bk-br-fr-fr, bk-br-fr-fly-fly, ...
    4 x 50 kick on 1:00
    4 x 75 IM rotations on 1:30

200 w/ snorkel loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2850 yds/50 min)
    ---------------------------

My arms were tired after the Ark's, probably from the swimming as well as moving some furniture in the basement in my attempt to organize. I ended up doing half of the flys in the IM's as single-arm since I figured drill is better then poor technique.

Planning on some basketball tomorrow night, after I look at some basketball shoes. My cross-trainers are low-tops, and my knees have been bothering me since last weekend.

Here is my final yield for jelly this season, assuming the rest of the vines are picked clean by friends. You'll notice Nila modeling for your viewing enjoyment ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 09/28/12:

by , September 28th, 2012 at 11:25 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM
    5 x 200 Fr on 2:50 dps with snorkel
    4 x 100 kick on 2:00
    - all out 25 shuffled first to last
    1 x 50 ez

4 x 75 on 1:10 pull with buoy
    - o back, e free
    30 sr
    2 x 100 on 1:15 fr with paddles, right into
    4 x 75 on 1:10 swim fast
    - held :56 for bk, :51 for fr

200 w/d with snorkel
    (Solo/Rec/3050 yds/50 min)
    ---------------------

Great swim tonight after feeling crummy all day. Of course, today is the first of twelve days of vacation with rain and cool temps so I lacked motivation.

I tried to vary the workout a bit. I was able to again hit all the turns with the snorkel, although they are not as natural with the dorkel. Maintained a stroke count of 12-3 per length and good form throughout. Went after a faster rotation on the 75s and worked that last round.

Tomorrow is the open house for our local Masters club, which I am going to start coaching. We'll start in October for a twelve week training cycle looking to improve techinique and also speed (as the two concepts are connected).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 09/25/12:

by , September 25th, 2012 at 10:38 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Recovery day ...

w/u 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

1 x 400 kick
    2 x 150 Fr on 2:00
    75 ez, 100 IM timed (1:14.6), 25 ez

200 loosen and out.
    (Solo/Rec/1700yds/30 min)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 09/24/12:

by , September 24th, 2012 at 11:00 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    8 x 75 on 1:20
    - 1 thru 4: kick
    - 5 thru 8: 50 kick, 25 swim IMO

6 x 100 Fr on 1:35 DPS with snorkel (flipped each turn)

1 x 300 Fr on 4:00 with pull buoy, no breathe in reds
    3 x 100 on 1:30 (Fr, Bk, IM)
    2 x 150 Fr on 2:05 pull with buoy

6 x 50 Fr on :40 strong with paddles
    300 w/d with snorkel various skull, drill, smoothed stroke
    (Solo/Rec/3300yds/60 min)
    ---------------------------
    I was beat from basketball last night! My left ankle, previously broken from a snowboarding accident ten years ago, always swells up after running, so that is annoying. Quads were a tad barky today, too. Slept poorly as well, so I stayed in bed late today and took it easy. Finished rounds 4 thru 9 of jelly making and now I am blogging from the hot run, not an easy task!

Plan to swim tomorrow am before work, then hit the pool again on Friday. Have a good week, everyone!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 09/20/13: evening

by , September 20th, 2012 at 10:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 150 FR, 150 Bk, 200 IM
    10 x 50 on :45 (#5+10 = BK)
    500 FR with snorkel (25 DPS, 25 drill)

Go Four times through:
    - 200 FR pull with buoy on 2:50
    - 4 x 50 FR on :50
    -- Round 1/3 = Quarter's Strong
    -- Round 2/4 = Burst 6/8/10/12 and cruise
    - :30 sr between rounds (next top or bottom)

200 with snorkel (skull/dps by 25) warmdown
    (Solo/Rec/3300yds/65 min)
    -------------------------

Did I mention that I forgot my goggles at noon? I did,so I made sure to bring them tonight. Good workout, despite a crowded pool when I first got it. Still getting used to the snorkel, but think it would be more beneficial for training LCM (less turns). The main set was tough; I stopped the intervals off a tad the 50's for a little more rest, plus took :30 between rounds. I intended to descend the 200's, but went 2:29, :31, :34, :30 - really pushed the last one. Quads sore from earlier, so I dropped a kick set.

Now back to juicing some grapes
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 09/20/12: noon

by , September 20th, 2012 at 02:47 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Did some followed by a brief swim:

Rowing Machine: 15:07, 3529 meters
    (Note: they physically move under 1:55m/500 pace)
    Back extensions: 3 x 10 @ 0/5/10# per round
    Bench Press: 3 x 10 @ 65/95/105# per round
    Seated leg extensions: 3 x 10 @ 30/40/50# per round

After a quick talk with the director and auatics director of the Rec related to upcoming changes to the local Masters program as well as thoughts about the "new" pool, I gingerly hopped in and ...

Kick with board: 150yds flutter
    Kick w/o board: 150yds back
    Swim 300 yds long and strong
    (Solo/Rec/600yds/15 min)
    ------------------------------

Made the trip to Philly and back yesterday to drop Emma off to school at Drexel. Thankfully no major issues on the road or there - they actually had a very streamlined process for checking into the dorms (with street closures and free garage parking), so that was good. Left the house at 8am, got to Philly around 1pm, then left at 5 and got home around 11pm. Long day!

(Life, packed away before entering the dorm)

Was able to meet her roommates and also get all of her books as well as some odds and ends for the dorm room before a quick bite there. It was hard leaving her there, but I trust that this is where God wants her to be, and He has equipped her with all the tools to do good things there, both in the classroom and out. I am blessed with a tenderhearted young lady who is a lot more adventurous than me, and I am waiting to see all that she experiences there. It'll be different around here; lonely.

I was able to sleep in this morning, and after a quick breakfast headed out the vineyard to start the grape processing for the year. As you may recall, we have about 50 feet of Concord vines in the back yard, and I am the chief jelly maker in the house. My attempt at last year was not completely successful, partly due to not using enough grapes. We have a bumper crop again this year, and we are processing jelly/juice earlier than normal so I'll give the wine another shot after the jelly is done. It didn't help that I forgot about it in the basement and never took the must off.

Plan to get back into the water a bit later this evening for a good workout - I ate at Five Guys on the way home last night so I feel the need to work off some of that lumper of a supper I had (anyone have an extra Lipitor to send my way?).

(*This meal is approved by James Adams)
  12. Workout 09/17/12:

by , September 17th, 2012 at 09:44 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    4 x 100 FR with snorkel on 1:30

5 x 100 kick on 2:00 (Fr/Bk/dolphin/Fr/Bk)
    4 x 125 IM's on 1:40
    - 25 drill/25 kick/25 drill/50 swim fast
    - Rotate through IM order (Fl/Bk/Br/Fr, Bk/Br/Fr/Fl, ...)

3 x 200 FR on 2:50 (descend 1-3)
    8 x 50 on 1:00
    - 1,6,8 = DPS (ez)
    - 2-5 = Quarter's Strong
    - 7 = FAST! (went 28.7 from push)

4 x 50 FR drill continuous with snorkel w/d
    (Solo/Rec/3200yds/60 min)

Had a good swim tonight (first one over 3k in an hour). It was relatively quiet in the pool, which I credit the relatively nice weather outside for helping. We have had some cool mornings here in the northeast (40's), but it is getting into the mid-70's so folks are trying to squeeze in their final outings before moving inside for the remainder of the fall.

Still working on using the snorkel. I have kinda given up on flipturns at this point since I come off the wall looking like this so I just do open turns. Maybe I need to tighten it more? I came in around 1:40 on all the kicks, which were hurting towards the end of the set. I then added in the stroke work to start waking up those muscles that have been asleep for awhile.

Matt was swimming tonight, after dropping off the face of the pool deck since May. He is really fast, and was doing a pull set during my 200's so I tried really hard to catch him, aiding my ability to descend them (2:31, :28, :26). Wiped me out pretty good! Then I worked in some speed play before loosing up.

I feel strong in the water, thanks no doubt to the weights I've been doing over the past feel months. I know that they are not quite up to the program that Jazz set up, but they are helping. I bought a pull/chin-up bar, and do 4-6 sets of 10 every day. I need to start back in with pushups and some core work. I notice that if I am not rotating enough with Freestyle my right shoulder clicks. Not really painful, just noisy. Time to start up the shoulder stretches in earnest again.

Finished some last minute shopping with my daughter today in preparation for move-in day on Wednesday. I would have liked to stayed the night and dropped in with Tom for a workout, but it looks like I will have the joy of making the round trip in one day to Philly (about 10 hours total in the car). Once all of her stuff is there we will be looking to take the train into the new station on 30th Street, which given the gas prices and mileage on the car is actually cheaper than driving. Maybe then I can sneak into the pool at Drexel or UPenn ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 09/15/12:

by , September 15th, 2012 at 06:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    After a meeting with Meg and Jill, who have been running the masters program in our town for the past few years, we hopped in for a workout today. It was great to get together with everyone again, and my wife even hopped in and swam with the team today!

w/u: 300 choice

Pick a distance pyramid (and your rest):
    A B C D
    50 2 2 3 3
    100 2 2 3 3
    150 1 2 2 3
    200 1 1 1 2
    150 1 2 2 3
    100 2 2 3 3
    50 2 2 3 3
    1100 1400 1700 2200

(Team/Rec/2500yds/55 min)
    I started off giving my wife some things to think about with her stroke, and suggested that she have fun and not overdo it. Lena has never swam on a team before, and in the nineteen years we've been together she has never swam for fitness, either. She ended up staying the water for the whole hour, just taking a length at a time and playing with the kickboards and pull buoys. I'm really proud of her!

I did the "D" pyramid, kicking the 50's, stroke on the the middle 50's of the 150s, and keeping everything aerobic with :10-:15 sr. I used the last set of 50's as warm down. I split the lane with GregJS, who came over to swim what was to be his first "team practice" since high school. He picked the D send offs as well, and did a great job swimming a bit differently than normal - great job today too, Greg!

In the meeting we talked about transitioning the team towards a more unified group. I have the USMS coaching certificate now, so I will start writing workouts and also stand on deck for half of the Saturday practices (I can make every other with work, and still not any of the Tuesday night times) providing instruction and helping folks track progress. We are looking to pick two meets a year as focus meets (December and March/April), then move towards OW training in the summertime. I'd love to see more of our members compete, and with some slight modifications to our current structure we should be able to get some more folks interested in swimming for health.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  14. Workout 09/14/12:

by , September 14th, 2012 at 08:01 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

400 snorkel playing around
    5 x 100 kick on 2:00
    - FR, BK, dolphin, IM, Mighty Mouse
    6 x 75 on :10 sr
    - 1-2: FR (56's)
    - 3-4: BK (60's)
    - 5-6: FR (55's)

400 snorkel playing around/warming down
    (Solo/Rec/2350yds/45 min)

Can you tell that I recently got a new toy?
    Figured I would try it out today on some easier portions of practice like the instructions suggested. Yeah, I read instructions (most of the time). It is wobbly during flip turns, and I determined that it is more of a choking hazard when swimming fly. Fun to play around with it.

I am still just easing back into workout mode again and just increaseing duration of swims at this point (both time in the water and also distance). Masters practice tomorrow, which should be fun.

Also fun is the annual Bennington Car Show happening this weekend in town. Lots of great old cars and bikes rumbling through town. I saw four of these today!

Updated September 14th, 2012 at 08:35 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 09/10/12:First day back to the Rec

by , September 10th, 2012 at 10:58 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

Felt great to hop into the pool for this first time since June. The renovations to the pool area look great - they bumped out the western wall along lane one about four feet, revealing new gray tiles o(since they couldn't find leftover beige and orange from the 70's) and a bright whitewashed wall. That means more spectator space! Energy efficient lighting has been added, although just around the perimeter of the pool, so it is a little dark in the center (might be better when sun comes through the new windows on the upper part of the wall). Did I say ?

So what to do? Since I only swam six times last month, I decided for an easy mile, complete with plenty of breaks throughout.

3 x 200 swims for w/u
    5 x 100 FR on 1:30
    - 1:03 on the first, then held 1:12's DPS
    5 x 100 BK on 1:30
    - Toned down TG approach: 5 SDK's, max 9 strokes per length
    50 EZ and out
    (Solo/Rec/1650yds/35 min)

I might suggest that they move the analog clock since the new lighting casts a glare on the bottom half of the clock. I also chatted with one of the age group coaches about splitting costs on a portable clock for the shallow end, we shall see.

Plan for the rest of the week? Hope to get up early and join the Tri Train before work Wednesday, then meet with GregJS for an OW adventure on Thursday, something on Friday, then Masters practice on Saturday!

Updated September 10th, 2012 at 11:47 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 08/31/12:

by , August 31st, 2012 at 12:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Ah, finally back to some water. This marks my second trip to a pool (with 3 OW swims), so August was not very active in the Green Mountains. It has been a time of relaxation that I will dub "recovery" to make myself feel better.

Anyways, not too exciting today ...

200 FR/200 IM Drill w/u

400 FR
    200 kick
    200 drills FR
    200 drills stroke
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR
    200 DPS fly stuff (thinking of That Guy's helps)
    100 float
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls/1900yds/40 min)
    ------------------------------------

So marks the end of the outdoor pool over in Hoosick Falls. Is was my first time in an outdoor pool since high school in the 90's, when we would swim meets in Manchester, Rutland, Burlington, Springfield, and Brattleboro, VT, as well as Charleston and Walpool, NH. They used to have the VT Summer meet outdoors in Vergennes, which was a great meet because in '86 they started to park a Ben and Jerry's ice cream truck in the parking lot, fueling us little ones on Mint Oreo Cookie (my favorite: ), and my folks would stop at the A&W just south of Middlebury on the way home. I am happy to report that swimming still involves dining for me to this day.

As I was saying, today was the last day of swimming at HF. Latest word on the Rec Center in town is ok I suppose: our local indoor pool has been closed since the first of July for rebuilding of the pool wall, and that construction appears to be complete. A friend mentioned that the planned reopening is not this coming week but the following, so that is a bummer. I still have some OW possibilities that are open, so I will just keep taking it easy until the Rec reopens and I can refocus for the short course season(s) to come.

I am also dabbling with some ideas towards taking a more central role in the Masters program in town, as in coaching. It would involve giving up some of my own swimming time , but I would really like to see not only the training but also competition side of things increase. We are a workout group under the New England Masters umbrella, and I am thinking of introducing a new team name and logo (the Bennington Area Master's Comets isn't doing it for me). I am thinking Monument Masters (an ode to our beloved Bennington Battle Monument), or the other option is to branch out from the Age Group team in town. Anyone have any thoughts of either option?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 08/22/12: OW

by , August 22nd, 2012 at 11:54 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I got goosed tonight! Goose Pond in Lee, MA, that is.

Numbers and words tonight for a change ...
    - 1.57 miles completed in 54:21, which you can view here.
    - 39 fish and numerous large rocks viewed while swimming.
    - 12 total swimmers, 10 with orange safe swimmer buoys, 1 wife and 1child joined in the fun.
    - 1 great post-swim potluck: 2 chicken choices, 3 veggie plates, 9 various salads, 2 chip offerings, 1 box of wine or homebrew beer from a growler, 1 tin of brownies.
    (My contribution included: 2 eggplants and green peppers, 4 tomatoes, and parsley from our garden, plus 3 potatoes and other spices, simmered into a great summer stew)
    - 100 miles round trip (145 minutes total) on my motorcycle for 1 excellent swim.
    - Now time for 800mg of ibuprofen, and some rolling around on 1 tennis ball before
    Tags: berkshires
    Categories
  18. Workout 08/18/12: OW

by , August 19th, 2012 at 01:09 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I was able to sneak in a very quick OW swim in the Cooper Bay area of Lake Champlain, the thirteenth largest lake in these United States. My wife and I made the three hour trip north to celebrate my aunt's 60th birthday party, and I had a great time catching up with family that I have not seen in many years.

After lunch (salmon, three various salads, a Mtn Dew, corn on the cob, some tortilla chips with a great cheesy-meat dip, and some baked beans), Lena looked happy conversing with the clan so with a fully belly I hopped in and ended up swimming a triangular 0.84 mile loop in 25:50. The water was beautiful, very smooth and clear (could see down to the bottom) and remarkably light as far as boat traffic is concerned. Only one jetskiier to keep an eye on, but I was swimming with my orange buoy and a neon green cap in order to be visible. I came back to shore and was able to get one of the last pieces of ice cream cake.

Spent the rest of the afternoon/evening enjoying the company of family before Lena and I headed home back down Rte. 7. If I am able to make it back to that area again in the future, I will plan on a longer swim with a less-full belly!

----------
    Oh, the gal from Lena's trip has is off the ICU, has been extubated, and is now on one medicine for controlling the seizures. West Nile virus might be the culprit, but we are all thankful that she is doing much better at this point.

Updated August 19th, 2012 at 01:44 AM by rxleakem

Categories
  19. Workout 08/13/12:

by , August 13th, 2012 at 11:35 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Rather anemic swim this morning

w/u: 200 FR/200 Kick/200 IM

4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR on :10sr
    1 x 50 Fly fast
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR on :10sr
    1 x 50 Br fast

200 float w/d
    (Solo/HF/1300yds/25 min)

I got up a tad late and then took my time riding across the border on the motorcycle - beautiful day with moderate cloud cover (but dry). Looking over my flog, this marks my second swim this month, first time in a pool.

I have the day off today, so I hope to relax a bit and maybe catch a nap before Bible study tonight at the men's group. I'll also try to add some pics from the girl's mission trip over the next few weeks as they start posting them. Maybe tomorrow I will feel a little more motivated. Then again, maybe not.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 08/08/12: OW!

by , August 9th, 2012 at 01:01 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I made it down (with my son) to Quechee Lake in Canaan, NY, this evening and joined the Simon's Rock crew for another great OW swim. I think that the final count was 18 swimmers, ranging in age from teen to master, and we completed a 1.27 mile loop in the lake. It is one of the closer swims for me to drive to from Vermont, and even though the water quality was not the best that I have seen in the past, it was clear and I was able to spot some fish swimming around. There was some boat traffic, but since most in the pod are wearing the orange safety floats (as well as loud caps) and Freddy's wife joined us in a kayak we were safe. Even saw a really cool floating dock with two boats attached - looked like the party spot! Here is a Google maps track of the swim.

After the swim we went to the Backwater Grill for some nutrition - almost all of us made it. I was able to talk with my buddy Jon, who introduced me to this group and their Wednesday night swims a couple of years ago. He just completed the Lake Placid Ironman, his first at that distance. Great stuff.

I am still sore after the pellet moving madness on Monday - my hammies and buttocks are tight as well as my lower back. Made for an interesting twelve hours on my feet yesterday! Felt good to swim tonight, especially since the group is so friendly.

For the girls, tomorrow is the final day of clinic in Kenya, where they are now set up in Dandora, a slum on the outskirts of Nairobi. One member of the team is hospitalized and five more have symptoms of malaria, while most are exhausted as the two week medical mission trip comes to an end. It is hard to close up the clinics, as so many are in need of not only physical attention from the team but also the message of God's love that they share. Sometimes just a smile is enough to help a person know that they are loved, regardless of the language one speaks.
    Tags: berkshires, gho
    Categories