View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Workout 09/15/12:

by , September 15th, 2012 at 05:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    After a meeting with Meg and Jill, who have been running the masters program in our town for the past few years, we hopped in for a workout today. It was great to get together with everyone again, and my wife even hopped in and swam with the team today!

w/u: 300 choice

Pick a distance pyramid (and your rest):
    A B C D
    50 2 2 3 3
    100 2 2 3 3
    150 1 2 2 3
    200 1 1 1 2
    150 1 2 2 3
    100 2 2 3 3
    50 2 2 3 3
    1100 1400 1700 2200

(Team/Rec/2500yds/55 min)
    --------------------------
    I started off giving my wife some things to think about with her stroke, and suggested that she have fun and not overdo it. Lena has never swam on a team before, and in the nineteen years we've been together she has never swam for fitness, either. She ended up staying the water for the whole hour, just taking a length at a time and playing with the kickboards and pull buoys. I'm really proud of her!

I did the "D" pyramid, kicking the 50's, stroke on the the middle 50's of the 150s, and keeping everything aerobic with :10-:15 sr. I used the last set of 50's as warm down. I split the lane with GregJS, who came over to swim what was to be his first "team practice" since high school. He picked the D send offs as well, and did a great job swimming a bit differently than normal - great job today too, Greg!

In the meeting we talked about transitioning the team towards a more unified group. I have the USMS coaching certificate now, so I will start writing workouts and also stand on deck for half of the Saturday practices (I can make every other with work, and still not any of the Tuesday night times) providing instruction and helping folks track progress. We are looking to pick two meets a year as focus meets (December and March/April), then move towards OW training in the summertime. I'd love to see more of our members compete, and with some slight modifications to our current structure we should be able to get some more folks interested in swimming for health.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  2. Workout 09/14/12:

by , September 14th, 2012 at 07:01 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

400 snorkel playing around
    5 x 100 kick on 2:00
    - FR, BK, dolphin, IM, Mighty Mouse
    6 x 75 on :10 sr
    - 1-2: FR (56's)
    - 3-4: BK (60's)
    - 5-6: FR (55's)

400 snorkel playing around/warming down
    (Solo/Rec/2350yds/45 min)
    -------------------------

Can you tell that I recently got a new toy?
    Figured I would try it out today on some easier portions of practice like the instructions suggested. Yeah, I read instructions (most of the time). It is wobbly during flip turns, and I determined that it is more of a choking hazard when swimming fly. Fun to play around with it.

I am still just easing back into workout mode again and just increaseing duration of swims at this point (both time in the water and also distance). Masters practice tomorrow, which should be fun.

Also fun is the annual Bennington Car Show happening this weekend in town. Lots of great old cars and bikes rumbling through town. I saw four of these today!

Updated September 14th, 2012 at 07:35 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 09/10/12:First day back to the Rec

by , September 10th, 2012 at 09:58 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

Felt great to hop into the pool for this first time since June. The renovations to the pool area look great - they bumped out the western wall along lane one about four feet, revealing new gray tiles o(since they couldn't find leftover beige and orange from the 70's) and a bright whitewashed wall. That means more spectator space! Energy efficient lighting has been added, although just around the perimeter of the pool, so it is a little dark in the center (might be better when sun comes through the new windows on the upper part of the wall). Did I say ?

So what to do? Since I only swam six times last month, I decided for an easy mile, complete with plenty of breaks throughout.

3 x 200 swims for w/u
    5 x 100 FR on 1:30
    - 1:03 on the first, then held 1:12's DPS
    5 x 100 BK on 1:30
    - Toned down TG approach: 5 SDK's, max 9 strokes per length
    50 EZ and out
    (Solo/Rec/1650yds/35 min)

I might suggest that they move the analog clock since the new lighting casts a glare on the bottom half of the clock. I also chatted with one of the age group coaches about splitting costs on a portable clock for the shallow end, we shall see.

Plan for the rest of the week? Hope to get up early and join the Tri Train before work Wednesday, then meet with GregJS for an OW adventure on Thursday, something on Friday, then Masters practice on Saturday!

Updated September 10th, 2012 at 10:47 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 08/31/12:

by , August 31st, 2012 at 11:32 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Ah, finally back to some water. This marks my second trip to a pool (with 3 OW swims), so August was not very active in the Green Mountains. It has been a time of relaxation that I will dub "recovery" to make myself feel better.

Anyways, not too exciting today ...

200 FR/200 IM Drill w/u

400 FR
    200 kick
    200 drills FR
    200 drills stroke
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR
    200 DPS fly stuff (thinking of That Guy's helps)
    100 float
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls/1900yds/40 min)
    ------------------------------------

So marks the end of the outdoor pool over in Hoosick Falls. Is was my first time in an outdoor pool since high school in the 90's, when we would swim meets in Manchester, Rutland, Burlington, Springfield, and Brattleboro, VT, as well as Charleston and Walpool, NH. They used to have the VT Summer meet outdoors in Vergennes, which was a great meet because in '86 they started to park a Ben and Jerry's ice cream truck in the parking lot, fueling us little ones on Mint Oreo Cookie (my favorite: ), and my folks would stop at the A&W just south of Middlebury on the way home. I am happy to report that swimming still involves dining for me to this day.

As I was saying, today was the last day of swimming at HF. Latest word on the Rec Center in town is ok I suppose: our local indoor pool has been closed since the first of July for rebuilding of the pool wall, and that construction appears to be complete. A friend mentioned that the planned reopening is not this coming week but the following, so that is a bummer. I still have some OW possibilities that are open, so I will just keep taking it easy until the Rec reopens and I can refocus for the short course season(s) to come.

I am also dabbling with some ideas towards taking a more central role in the Masters program in town, as in coaching. It would involve giving up some of my own swimming time , but I would really like to see not only the training but also competition side of things increase. We are a workout group under the New England Masters umbrella, and I am thinking of introducing a new team name and logo (the Bennington Area Master's Comets isn't doing it for me). I am thinking Monument Masters (an ode to our beloved Bennington Battle Monument), or the other option is to branch out from the Age Group team in town. Anyone have any thoughts of either option?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 08/22/12: OW

by , August 22nd, 2012 at 10:54 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I got goosed tonight! Goose Pond in Lee, MA, that is.

Numbers and words tonight for a change ...
    - 1.57 miles completed in 54:21, which you can view here.
    - 39 fish and numerous large rocks viewed while swimming.
    - 12 total swimmers, 10 with orange safe swimmer buoys, 1 wife and 1child joined in the fun.
    - 1 great post-swim potluck: 2 chicken choices, 3 veggie plates, 9 various salads, 2 chip offerings, 1 box of wine or homebrew beer from a growler, 1 tin of brownies.
    (My contribution included: 2 eggplants and green peppers, 4 tomatoes, and parsley from our garden, plus 3 potatoes and other spices, simmered into a great summer stew)
    - 100 miles round trip (145 minutes total) on my motorcycle for 1 excellent swim.
    - Now time for 800mg of ibuprofen, and some rolling around on 1 tennis ball before
    Tags: berkshires
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Open Water
  6. Workout 08/18/12: OW

by , August 19th, 2012 at 12:09 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I was able to sneak in a very quick OW swim in the Cooper Bay area of Lake Champlain, the thirteenth largest lake in these United States. My wife and I made the three hour trip north to celebrate my aunt's 60th birthday party, and I had a great time catching up with family that I have not seen in many years.

After lunch (salmon, three various salads, a Mtn Dew, corn on the cob, some tortilla chips with a great cheesy-meat dip, and some baked beans), Lena looked happy conversing with the clan so with a fully belly I hopped in and ended up swimming a triangular 0.84 mile loop in 25:50. The water was beautiful, very smooth and clear (could see down to the bottom) and remarkably light as far as boat traffic is concerned. Only one jetskiier to keep an eye on, but I was swimming with my orange buoy and a neon green cap in order to be visible. I came back to shore and was able to get one of the last pieces of ice cream cake.

Spent the rest of the afternoon/evening enjoying the company of family before Lena and I headed home back down Rte. 7. If I am able to make it back to that area again in the future, I will plan on a longer swim with a less-full belly!

----------
    Oh, the gal from Lena's trip has is off the ICU, has been extubated, and is now on one medicine for controlling the seizures. West Nile virus might be the culprit, but we are all thankful that she is doing much better at this point.

Updated August 19th, 2012 at 12:44 AM by rxleakem

Categories
  7. Workout 08/13/12:

by , August 13th, 2012 at 10:35 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Rather anemic swim this morning

w/u: 200 FR/200 Kick/200 IM

4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR on :10sr
    1 x 50 Fly fast
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR on :10sr
    1 x 50 Br fast

200 float w/d
    (Solo/HF/1300yds/25 min)

I got up a tad late and then took my time riding across the border on the motorcycle - beautiful day with moderate cloud cover (but dry). Looking over my flog, this marks my second swim this month, first time in a pool.

I have the day off today, so I hope to relax a bit and maybe catch a nap before Bible study tonight at the men's group. I'll also try to add some pics from the girl's mission trip over the next few weeks as they start posting them. Maybe tomorrow I will feel a little more motivated. Then again, maybe not.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 08/08/12: OW!

by , August 9th, 2012 at 12:01 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I made it down (with my son) to Quechee Lake in Canaan, NY, this evening and joined the Simon's Rock crew for another great OW swim. I think that the final count was 18 swimmers, ranging in age from teen to master, and we completed a 1.27 mile loop in the lake. It is one of the closer swims for me to drive to from Vermont, and even though the water quality was not the best that I have seen in the past, it was clear and I was able to spot some fish swimming around. There was some boat traffic, but since most in the pod are wearing the orange safety floats (as well as loud caps) and Freddy's wife joined us in a kayak we were safe. Even saw a really cool floating dock with two boats attached - looked like the party spot! Here is a Google maps track of the swim.

After the swim we went to the Backwater Grill for some nutrition - almost all of us made it. I was able to talk with my buddy Jon, who introduced me to this group and their Wednesday night swims a couple of years ago. He just completed the Lake Placid Ironman, his first at that distance. Great stuff.

I am still sore after the pellet moving madness on Monday - my hammies and buttocks are tight as well as my lower back. Made for an interesting twelve hours on my feet yesterday! Felt good to swim tonight, especially since the group is so friendly.

For the girls, tomorrow is the final day of clinic in Kenya, where they are now set up in Dandora, a slum on the outskirts of Nairobi. One member of the team is hospitalized and five more have symptoms of malaria, while most are exhausted as the two week medical mission trip comes to an end. It is hard to close up the clinics, as so many are in need of not only physical attention from the team but also the message of God's love that they share. Sometimes just a smile is enough to help a person know that they are loved, regardless of the language one speaks.
    Tags: berkshires, gho
    Categories
  9. Workout 07/30/12:

by , July 30th, 2012 at 10:58 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    1 x 400 swim
    4 x 100 kick

1 x Noah's Ark
    2 x 100 Drill work
    1 x 150 IM w/d

(Solo/Hoosick Falls/1650yds/30 min)
    ----------------------------

Beautiful morning for an easy swim and motorcycle ride! The only thing better than swimming and riding would be getting paid to do it! Some day I will have to add a swim on the way home from a work meeting that I ride to.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 07/24/12: (and pool update)

by , July 25th, 2012 at 09:10 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got up this morning for a quick swim in NY.

4 x 200 with :20 SR
    1 x Noah's Ark
    10 x 50 with :10 SR
    - 1-4, 6-9: Quarter's Strong
    - 5, 10: breaststroke - ride the glide
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls/1800yds/30 min)
    -------------------------------

A short swim but nice to get in for some recovery. Probably my only time in the water this week with work and other activities.

The Bennington Banner has an update on the Rec Center rebuild this summer - looks like more work is required than they planned to do, but it should come in under budget and on time for completion to allow the pool to reopen after Labor Day. Here is a picture I took tonight of the progress (and the rusted out columns that need to be replaced) ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1169.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	6878

I had an eye appt today and ordered some new glasses, spending a good deal of the afternoon inside until the eye drops wore off. Tonight we went to eat at the Rattlesnake cafe tonight as a "send-off supper" for my wife and daughter, who are leaving tomorrow for a flight to DC, then on to Kenya through August 10th for a medical mission with Global Health Outreach, the same group that I have been to Nicaragua with. I'm excited to see how God can work in their lives to help the people that they will serve through medicine, as well as hear of their adventures seeing His Creation halfway across the globe.
    Tags: gho
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , NSR
  11. 07/21/12: Peaks to Portland

by , July 22nd, 2012 at 10:44 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Another fair warning: long race report blog to follow ...

This marked my third year swimming in the P2P 2.4 mile swim in Casco Bay, separating Peaks Island from the East End Beach in Portland, Maine. I first learned of this event after stumbling across the blog of Pat Gallant-Charette and asking our friends who live in Portland about this fundraising event for the YMCA in the region. Bobby had heard of it and had a kayak and a willingness to paddle for me, so I began my dive back into swimming (after a ten year + hiatus from the sport) by training for it. Most folks take the ferry out to the island in the morning (although one EC vet opted to swim it as a warmup this year), and after finalizing registration and a brief meeting we are sent off in one of four waves through the Atlantic Ocean to the finish line, passing Fort Gorges. Here is a link to the race map.

Since the weather was forcasted to be beautiful, we headed up to Maine in two vechiles: Lena took Preston and our nephew Adam in the car and I took the motorcycle. It was cloudy until we hit the border of Vacationland on the five hour trek, but then the sun popped out and did not disappear the entire weekend. What a glorious ride! After checking in at the Y and picking up my packet on Friday, we met up with our Maine hosts and ate at Tortilla Flat before heading back to the house, where Bobby and I took a short motorcycle cruise around town and to the park overlooking Casco Bay towards Peaks Island:

Name:	IMAG1155.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	6876

JBS contacted me earlier in the week to invite me to join the group that he and slknight swim with for a warmup at the outdoor Kiwanis Pool if I was up for it. I figured that I since I was able to get up to join tjrpatt in Philly for a 6am practice I could do the same in Portland, and Bobby and family was willing to get up so I dropped in for some pool tourism and about 400 meters are stretching out before the race. John gave me a ride to the ferry and I had a new friend, Jeff, snap this picture of your intrepid bloggers for your viewing pleasure:

Name:	IMAG1158.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	6874

We reached to island and signed off on waivers and got our timing chip. In the process I met up with Bobby, who paddled out with a friend instead of boarding the ferry, and was able to pass off my clothes to him and get duct tape on my feet before the final morning briefings took place. Duct tape? Yes, since the beach is essentially a mussel bed with sharp shells and some rocks, so wading out to the start can be treacherous (I still managed a few cuts on my toes this year). I also finally met Pat before the swim, as I did not find her last year during a season where she completed both the English and Catalina channels. Pat rocks!

There was a brief moment of silence to honor three pioneers of the race before a warmup period was allowed. After the my experience the first year, shivering in the cold between "warmups" and the start of the swim, I stayed on the beach and watched as the yakers departed from the beach and many got in some practice strokes. After a bit of work on the organizers part to clear the water and line up the waves of swimmers, I slowly entered the water with the first group to the end of the pier to await our sendoff, gazing past the waiting kayakers and towards the far end of the bay.

As arms and legs started to flail at the start, I found myself towards the center of the pod as we made strides into the cool water, a balmy 64-65 degrees this year. I have gotten a little more accustomed to not only the "ice cream headache" from the cold water but also the bumping at the start of the race, and didn't really get to tied up with anyone besides the usual hitting of hands and tapping of toes. I was able to get my head fully submerged within twenty strokes, and got into a strong swimming pattern. I found Bobby easily off shore due to the American Flag sailing above his kayak, and we made our way out into the ocean. Overall the water was much warmer than last year, but we found some colder spots.

Low tide occurred about an hour before the race started, so we ventured into the slack tide, which really didn't play into the swim until we rounded Fort Gorges around the halfway point. Bobby kept our line a little more to the west of the Fort, and we didn't have any issues until one of the swimmers without a kayak suddenly cut right in front of us. Bob moved from my right side to the left, then I saw legs appear out of nowhere! He kept heading towards the Old Port, until the police boat on the periphery pointed him in the right direction: we joked afterwards that he must have been swimming to the West End Beach! A few waves from the ferry splashed us around, but the water was fairly calm until the currents picked up after the Fort. I was about to get a quick drink when Bobby announced that we were at 34 minutes, which prompted me to forgo the feed and usual comedic banter to power on towards our goal.

We were again able to pick off some of the swimmers that stayed on a line closer to the Fort, and as we came closer to the finish area I could see the beach was packed! This year saw the highest number of participants at 316, over half of them were first-time athletes and 19 of us swam "naked," without a wetsuit. As we approaced the boats floating just off the beach, we were joined by three other kayaks. I focused on a strong kick and a faster turnover as I made my way into the finish area. Again I did a few breaststroke cycles before trying to stand up, then did my best to jog out of the water to the finish line. I was excited to hear the announcer mention that "it looks like our first non-wetsuit swimmer is making his way up the chute," and looked up to see a time of 51:52 before seeing John on the beach. Susan was the first female to emerge without a wetsuit shortly after - note that both of them swam without a yaker!

I met with my family and the Browns on the beach for pictures and celebration. After getting hosed off I took advantage of the free massage for swimmers before watching and cheering all of the swimmers into the beach. The harbormaster sounded the siren as the last swimmers reached the finish - Terry Swain, the aquatics director of the Y had waited near the boats offshore for all of the other swimmers to make land before finding her way there.

We packed up the cars then headed into the Old Port for lunch at Flatbread before heading home for a nap! We finished off the day by wandering down to Old Orchard Beach for some seashell hunting and relaxing on the beach before eating our way back to the house. It was another great weekend for a swim, and by far the most pleasant on the weather front. Susan sent a link to the Press Herald writeup and agreed that everyone finished about two minutes behind the pace from last year, likely due to the tide. John also saw a link on The Daily News of Open Water Swimming site about the swim that I am sure Pat sent in.

I can't wait for the excitement of next year's 32nd annual race with my friends in Maine! (I might even try to swim over to Peaks in the morning, but don't hold me to it too much) A lot of hard work goes into making this event happen, and I am very thankful that God has blessed me with a supportive family, a great team (including someone crazier than me that volunteers to kayak and his family, as well as Linda and Ron, who always cheer us on), all the volunteers, and the collective ability of all the swimmers to be able to raise money to help offer the benefits of the YMCA to folks who otherwise could not gain access to them.

Here is a picture of the best wingman in the business, my yaker Bobby, before the race:

Name:	IMAG1161.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	6877

Updated July 22nd, 2012 at 11:33 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events , Open Water
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  12. Workout 07/17/12:

by , July 17th, 2012 at 01:46 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 IM drill

Go three times through:
    - 4 x 75 FR on :05-:10 sr
    --- Go FAST on the middle 25
    --- Add burst (6/8/10/12) + Cruise last 25 on last rep
    - 100 skull/float

6 x 50 on :10 SR - Kick/stroke by 25

4/5 of a Noah's Ark
    - Did 2x2 thru 75
    - Floated 100 w/d, skipped last 100
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls/2300yds/40 min)
    -----------------------------------

Good swim today. Not as crowded, and the sun was shining magnificently. Picked up the tempo with the 75s and felt strong. Kinda loafed the Ark and got out before the final 100 in order to get to work on time. I'll keep up with bands through Thursday, as well as continue to use the foam roller and tennis ball for back tightness leading up to the 2.4 mile Peaks to Portland swim this weekend.

No lake swim last night - I guess the Marauders have scrapped it since the kids were complaining about the weeds. Oh well, fun while it lasted. I will have to get a picture of the Rec Center construction process at some point this week. Word on the street is the outer wall is totally gone in preparation of replacing it, and the might be adding some more room on that west side of the pool area to accomodate more spectator space. That would be cool...

Updated July 17th, 2012 at 08:38 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 07/16/12: am

by , July 16th, 2012 at 11:37 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 IM drill/200 build

1 x Noah's Ark
    10 x 50 on :10 sr
    - 1-2: kick
    - 3-4: pull
    - 5: FAST
    repeat

200 FR drill
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls/2000yds/40 min)
    -------------------------------

Made it back from Philly safely. Great city to get to know better as my daughter was at orientation. After that sweet wake-up swim with Tom, my son and I hit the town starting at 34th street: one wind sprint up the Museum of Art steps ("Rocky steps"), then a 4+ mile meander of the city, finally stopping at 5th street to check out the Liberty Bell. It was hot outside, but fun to see lots of interesting sights along the way.

Friday we booked a tour of Lincoln Park (home of the Eagles), so we took the train to the south end of the orange line. It is pretty neat how the city has moved all of the pro stadiums right next to each other and has mass transit so close. Fun time getting the VIP behind the scene tour of a stadium - even got some goodies for my father-in-law who is a big fan.

Saturday saw one of very few weekends starting off without any definite plans. My buddy works for the phone company and had to make a call to the other side of the state in Putney, VT, so I joined him on a motorcycle ride in the heat. Haven't been out in a long time for a long ride. Got home and took a ride with my wife before dinner as the temps cooled off a bit - got in around 150 miles.
    Yesterday after church we went to a party for my in-laws visiting from Tennessee - good times.

Today I really didn't want to get up to swim, but kinda have to with Peaks coming up this weekend. More or less a stretch-out swim as I got there late (it was drizzling so I waited for the skies to clear out a little before making the twenty min drive over) and it was packed. No lane lines, and I squeezed in between two black lines until a lady decided she'd join there. Just swam around her.

Plan for the week: swim at Lake Paren tonight with the Marauders (if it isn't storming) before Bible study, get in again tomorrow morning before work to do some harder efforts, work thru Thursday night, then stay dry until Saturday, where I am planning on taking the motorcycle on the five hour trip to Maine!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 07/12/12: early am

by , July 12th, 2012 at 06:31 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    wu: 400 swim/200 kick/300 pull/200 drill/200 im

Go five times thru:
    200 FR on 2:55
    - neg split by 100
    100 FR on 1:40
    - 50 DPS, :05 sr, 50 sprint (breathe every 7)

200 loosen and out
    (Tom's masters prac/Martin's Dam/3000 Lcm/65 min)
    ------------------------

I got into Philly last night around 9:30, and made arrangements with Tom to meet up for a swim. Options were an evening practice today at Ridley High (where I joined him in March), or Martin's Dam, a long course, outdoor pool near Villanova. Either was fine with me, but after I told Tom I'd never swam Lcm, he suggested I get up for 6am practice at Martin. Glad I went

Name:	IMAG0976.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	6872

Well, I got up at 5am and called the valet to get the car before making the 30min drive to Wayne. Got there the same time as Tom, then checked in with the coaches at the pool. I mentioned I was in the area for my daughter's orientation and was excited to swim Lcm for the first time, and they chuckled that we'd be doing a lot today. Paid the drop-in fee and hopped into Tom's lane.

I modified the warmup a bit: supposed to do a 400im, but I only did a 200im since Tom was already finished up. The main set was tough - the last time I did 200s scm they were on 3:00, but today was able to get in with 10->05 sr. I went third, with three more behind me (I think), and made the 100s with :05 sr, but I could not do the breathe every seven deal.

By this time, 7am was nearing so I headed over to the far area of the pool to warm down, knowing that I needed to be back into Central Philly by 8:30 to get the kids up and to breakfast. Tom told me to avoid taking 76, so I used the gps and took some back roads into the Drexel area, then across the river to the hotel. Tom and the guys were getting ready to embark on a 1000 pull, and then a crazy distance swim after that. Did I mention that this was the VN team workout, and Tom led it as written? Tom is an animal!

Spent the rest of the morning at orientation, then spent the afternoon exploring the city - climbed the "Balboa Stairs," then took the long walk through town to Independence Hall. The Inn at Penn has complimentary iPads in the room, so we're relaxing for a bit now before puttering around UPenn tonight. Tomorrow we are going to take a tour of the Eagles's stadium and eat some cheese steak sandwiches before collecting Emma at 3:30 for the five hour ride home. Where is the best place to strap on my feed bag?

Updated July 12th, 2012 at 10:17 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 07/10/12:

by , July 10th, 2012 at 01:33 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 IM drill/200 Kick

400 FR Pull with buoy
    10 x 50 on :15 SR
    - 1-4, 6-9 Quarter's Strong
    - 5 + 10 = Breaststroke

1 x Noah's Ark FR Pull with buoy
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls/2200yds/40 min)
    -----------------------------

Took a spin on the motorcycle over to HF this morning for adult swim. Not as crowded as last week, which was nice. Beautiful day (bright blue skies with a few high clouds floating by) for an outdoor swim. Nothing too difficult, more or less stetching out due to soreness from last night's pushup swims.

Took the longer way home and enjoyed the ride. I am on vacation this week and too time to wash and buff both my bike and van. Yesterday I mowed the lawn, did some weedeating, and got the pool into shape. I just remembered my wine experiment in the basement - racked it for the first time, will need to do it probably two more times to get it clear. This afternoon I am going to help my wife with some upgrades to the downstairs bathroom (going to make up some moldings and repair the broken door frame) and probably take a nap or work in the garden. Might do both.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 07/09/12: OW

by , July 9th, 2012 at 09:45 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 360 FR, 120 IM

Drills:
    2 x 60 FR
    1 x 180 FR
    1 x 60 FR (broken halfway to 1 min Vertical Kicking )
    10 x 60 (with 5 pushups halfway through)
    2 x 60 w/d
    (Marauders/Lake Paren/1560yds/55 min)
    -----------------

Since the Rec is closed, I have been weighing options for training. Lake Paren is in North Bennington, about fifteen minutes from my house. The age group team, the Marauders, are also without a pool, and using the Hoosick Falls pool in the morning and Lake Paren in the evening, three times a week. Since the coaches don't want to swim in the water, I have volunteered to swim with the kids to provide some motivation, and it happens to fall very nicely into my schedule Monday evenings from 5-6.

There is a dock 30 yards from shore, hence the funky distances. It is a weedy lake, and the eight kids swimming were freaked out by it. I just laughed since the weeds were hiding various fish and salamanders, so I had a great time enjoying the waterlife. We used the dock for pushups - up the ladder, flex those muscles, then dive back to shore. I issued the challenge - the kids had to do six before I completed ten; if not, a long swims through the weeds! They beat me

Updated July 10th, 2012 at 07:46 AM by rxleakem

Categories
  17. Workout 07/03/12:

by , July 3rd, 2012 at 09:33 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 IM drill

10 x 200's various
    - drills, kicks, swim, stroke work

200 float and out
    (Solo/Hoosick Falls Pool/2600yds/45 min)
    -------------------------------------

Wow. This last week has been a blur due to a nasty head cold, which was very similar to one I had at the beginning of the year. Last Monday during my double I swallowed some water, then the sore throat, mucous machine and sinus clogging began. I missed the Berkshire's swim at Richmond Pond (although Brent was able to go) and battled this illness while working, taking a nap during lunch and basically sleeping whenever I have been home. Big disappointment. Add to that the closing of our town's pool for at least July and August for repairs to the building around the pool due to chlorine exhaust corrosion, and I am bumming!

The nearest pool is just across the NY border in Hoosick Falls, an outdoor, five-lane 25yd pool built in the 60's. I have never been there before, but since I am feeling somewhat better I headed over today for the "workout" above just to get into the clear water on the beautiful morning we had. The pool is concrete, but has a liner like the KMart pool I have in the backyard. You can't really do flipturns (and I didn't) because when you push off, there is two inches of play between the two membranes. Wild stuff. There is a really interesting cross current too, between the diving well on the southwest side of the pool and the kiddie splash area on the northeast side, which was pretty trippy.

Hey, it's a place to swim. I have tomorrow off and then work Thursday, and on Friday the family and I are heading up to Newport to get checked in for the Kingdom swim. Not exactly the type of taper I was planning on before my first ten mile swim. Some things we just don't have control over, and can only make the best of the circumstances were in. I am not able to take a full breath without coughing, so my focus for the swim is completion and also meeting the forumites who will be there.

I do have access to one of the gyms in town now, so I will be dropping in next week to work on cardio. Peaks for Portland is two weeks after Kingdom, and I plan on supplementing my training with some more lake swims to keep jbs and slknight at bay. Next week I will be heading back to Phili for my daugther's orientation at Drexel, so I might try to meet up with Tom again for a swim. After Peaks, I will restart the lifting program in earnest (although I am still using my bands to keep my shoulders strong for the swims at this point).

Good luck to all you Natsy folks this weekend, that pool looks amazing! Maybe they'll keep the flame throwers loaded for a few swim!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  18. Workout 06/25/12: evening

by , June 25th, 2012 at 08:35 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I did a slightly modified version of Fort's [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20835"]workout #4 (6/11-17/12)[/ame] tonight as time allowed:

Warm up:
    400 choice
    8 x (25 drill + 25 kick) @ 1:15
    -- 2 of each stroke
    4 x 50 torque drill @ 1:30
    50 EZ

Speed sets:
    8 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP FR (went 58.3)
    200 EZ

2 x through:
    -- 1 round free/kick
    1 x 25 @ 100 pace + 25 EZ @ 1:30
    1 x 25 AFAP + 75 EZ @ 2:15
    1 x 50 AFAP + 100 EZ @ 4:00

8 x 50 @ 1:30
    - 1-4: IM rotation
    - 5-8: Quarter's Strong FR
    100 EZ
    (Solo/Rec/2850yds/65 min)

I was able to say hi to GregJS tonight during the Monday evening swim - I miss getting there recently as it is more of a social time for me. I was picking his brain on breaststroke tecnique, as I regard him as my coach for for this horrible stroke.

This was a great speed workout - the intervals are almost spot on for really putting in the effort and getting rewarded with a little rest. Truth be told, I almost did the Lactate Production workout but after I wrote it down it dawned on me that I might have made a mistake. The 100 fast time was really good - not sure when I have gone that fast from a push in a while, and since I am not feeling very speedy of late it was nice to hammer out. I am still trying to balance store rate speed and not cutting my pull short on the fast swims - still more work to go. I don't have a parachute so I just modified that section a bit.

With work tomorrow I will likely not be able to swim, unless I get out right at 8pm and make the last 15 minutes of masters practice to stretch out. I may not be that motivated, though.

Oh, for your viewing pleasure, here is a look at the shirts I had made up for my open water swims this year. My yaker Bobby came up with the slogan and my talented sister Jill did the drawing (Bob's mom works for the Army/Navy shop in town and got us a good deal on printing). The Kingdom mountains to the Portland Light ...

Updated June 25th, 2012 at 08:56 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 06/25/12: noon

by , June 25th, 2012 at 01:52 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 BK/200 RIM drill

Go three times through:
    - 400 Swim
    - 200 Kick
    - 300 Pull with buoy

1 x 500 Noah's Ark (last 200 cooldown)
    (Solo/Rec/3200yds/60 min)
    ---------------------

As planned, Sunday was laid back for me. Met up with my brothers and sister and our families for breakfast at the old A&W in town, took some pictures, then I went out for two motorcycle rides in the afternoon. We had dinner with my mother-and-sister-in-law at home, then I mowed the lawn. A relaxing day ...

Today I planned on a long continuous swim with a twist, so I did some SKP's. The middle one I did a 400im out in front, pretty slow but I did it. I plan to get back tonight since Men's Group is on hold for a few weeks and get in more of a HIT-ish workout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 06/23/12:

by , June 23rd, 2012 at 01:07 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 FR/200 BK/200 RIM

assigned: Did:
    1 x 500 ... 1 x 700 pull with buoy
    5 x 100 ... 5 x 100 IM
    1 x 500 ... 250 kick, 150 swim, 250 pull with buoy
    5 x 100 ... 4 x 100 Quarter's Strong + 1 IM
    1 x 500 ... 1 x 700 pull with buoy

Added on:
    4 x 75 on 1:00
    - 25 stroke/25 FR Sprint/25 FR DPS
    - Did 2 Fly and 2 BK

100 loosen and out.
    (Masters/Rec/4050yds/90 min)
    -------------------

Great to finally get in with the team today. Like many of you, I always put a little extra effort into my swims. Bethany, who is also doing the Kingdom swim (she did it last year) was there, as well as Kevin, Meg, Jill, and Nicole, Tom, and Marie who did their own thing.

I added some yardage to the long swims so that we could all stay at the same intervals. We had plenty of time to between swims, and the first set of 100's were on 2:00 and the second set were on 2:15 to really work the AFAP quarter. Felt really good in the water today.

Yesterday the afternoon swim didn't happen, which is fine. I met with my brothers and family for some mini-golfing, and then enjoyed a great massage with Lena. Dinner at Chili's and then dessert with the extended family at Clearbrook Farmsfor strawberry paloza - BYOS (bring your own shortcake). Delicious end of the day!

Today my aunt is coming in from Boston for lunch, then we have a graduation party and my nephew's first boxing match before Relay for Life tonight. Tomorrow might not be so busy.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts