View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 11/26/12:

by , November 26th, 2012 at 09:54 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill w/u

Do FOUR cycles of:
    - 50 kick on :55
    - 150 FR Pull on 2:00 with buoy

Do TWO cycles of:
    - 50 DPS Bk
    - 75 DPS Bk, 25 FAST Bk

50 EZ

4 x 25 Burst and cruise FR
    1x 50 EZ
    4 x 25 Burst and crusie IMO

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2100 yds/40 min)
    --------------------------------

Decided to get up early this morning in order to squeeze a swim in, but the Triathlon Train was not at the station. Probably good since it took me about twenty minutes to actually get out of bed. I was able to get in a good workout, mix of aerobic with some speed play, and get to work on time. Back in the pool on Wednesday...

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 11/24/12:

by , November 24th, 2012 at 08:56 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    8 x 50
    - odds = kick on :60
    - evens = pull on :50 with bouy
    1 x 50 EZ

Looking over my blog from last year, I found this fun set (courtesy of jaadams1), so I gave another swim at the Y meet set (see old entry for details):

200 Medley Relay - n/a
    200 Free - went 2:14.09 (1:16 rest)
    200 IM - went 2:39.19 (1:20 rest)
    50 Free - went 28.00 (1:02 rest)
    Diving goes here - n/a
    100 Fly - went 1:17.69 (1:12 rest)
    100 Free - went 1:01.12 (1:28 rest)
    500 Free - went 6:25.12 (1:05 rest)
    200 Free Relay - n/a
    100 Back - went 1:07.13 (1:22 rest)
    100 Breast - went 1:29.25
    400 Free Relay - n/a

1 x 50 EZ
    4 x 50 on :60
    - down = DPS, free, :05 SR
    - back = Stroke FAST (IMO)

250 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2900 yds/55 min)
    -----------------------------

For practice today, I was not altogether motivated and had fun with this set last year - thanks again for posting it, James. I though my times were awful as compared to last year, but I was faster today in most events. The 500 was shot as two kids decided to jump in the lane, "sprint" a few 50s, then leave, throwing off my concentration. I am super happy with the 100 back time - I played around with a slightly altered kick which helped with shoulder rotation - thing I might be closer to figuring this stroke out again.

Had a great group of folks in the water earlier today for Masters practice, eight in total. I am pretty stoked as a coach that every swimmer tried the Turducken, most at reduced yardages, but more proud that everyone swam fly today, including two gals brand new to organized swim practices. It's amazing how different masters are vs. kids - I gave very minimal directions and demonstrated technique from deck, and they were able to do legal fly!

I spent the afternoon putting up Christmas decorations outside as the the weather alternated between dark with spitting snow and then sunny with a biting wind. Mission accomplished, and I even had some help from my youngest cat when testing light bulbs:

I made up a nice chicken and broccoli divan recipe for supper (which I ate after swimming), and now am finishing up some brownies with oreos in the middle (picture to come, hopefully).

Two weeks to the NE SCM Champs meet at Boston University - still time to sign up and watch me partake in 3 gridges. Heck, offer one up with me, too! Up to 255 swimmers, Fort, with plenty of room for more to join in the fun at a great pool - entries close Mon, 12/03/12.
    Tags: y set
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 11/23/12:

by , November 23rd, 2012 at 08:27 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

10 x 100 as:
    - odds = Kick at 1:45
    - evens = FR at 1:30 Pull with buoy

1 x 50 EZ
    Now time for a seasonal treat courtesy of Swimsuit Addict

Did the whole thing again this year, including the kicking "dessert" at the end. There were a couple of college girls swimming when I first started, but both were out as I got halfway through the main feast. Again this year I have to say that the two 50 flys on the last rep are more daungthing than the two 100 flys in the beginning, due mostly to intensity level. During the kick set I just swam full chicken (breaststroke) in order to make the intervals.

Finished off with 200 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/3900 yds/70 minutes)
    ----------------------

Great way to get back into the swim of things after the holiday yesterday. Been a busy week so far - picked up Emma as planned on Tuesday night, then hit Red Robin (Yummm) on the way home for a late night meal. I worked on Wednesday, but Emma went shopping with me after work to pick up veggies and cheese for our appetizers contribution to a Thanksgiving feast at my brother's house. Able to catch up with a lot of relatives that I don't normally see and helped to reduce the amount of leftovers in the process. Watched some Thanksgiving cartoons with the kids when we got home.

This is my weekend off, so today I slept in and swam at lunchtime. I am not one for the crazy shopping early in the morning, even though KMart and Walmart here in town had *three* different sales, starting Thursday, Thursday night into Friday morning, then early today. That stuff really is for the birds! After swimming we did a quick raking/clean up outside and I retrieved the Christmas decorations to put up tomorrow. Finally, I went for what will be my last motorcycle ride of the year today, a nice hour-long jaunt while enjoying weather in the lower 50's.

Now off to find some leftover pie
    Tags: turducken
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 11/19/12:

by , November 19th, 2012 at 02:23 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Played basketball last night in the first time in over a month. Stayed for two hours, we had 12 guys so played 3 teams of four. Probably played a little over an hour total on court. My legs are sore, but functioning, however I was the recipient of a chop block to the right forearm and that smarts a bit. With the BU meet in a few weekends, no more bball for me until after the swim.

Today:
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

Repeat two times:
    2 x 200 pull w/ buoy
    -1st round= Fr @2:40 - went 2:31, 2:28
    -2nd round= Bk @3 - went 2:45, 2:41

4 x 50 kick on :55
    On next bottom, do ...
    1 x 400 FR GO!
    -1st round = 4:51
    -2nd round = 4:46

break with other swimmers

Repeat two times:
    - 4 x 75 IM on 1:15 (work walls, FAST last length)
    - 1 x 100 recovery kick

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3000 yds/65 min)
    ----------------------------
    Felt a little sluggish in the water today. Counting the meet last weekend, I was only wet three times, the last swim on Thursday, so that is to be expected. I've been using my chin-up bar daily and foam rolling more, so I think that helps to some extend in feeling ok in the water.

The goal with the main set was to swim a 400 faster than the add-up of the pulled 200's. The kicks served as a transition into the longer swim. I am happy with those times, as it kinda justifies my base at 1:20 per hundred for sets, and I really attempted to kick more during the swims than I usually do. I wanted to keep playing with my breaststroke so did the IM rotations.

I could have gotten in another 10-15 minutes of swimming, but decided to end where I was. A bit too beat up from bball to attempt some Quarter's Strong or burst/cruise efforts.

Tonight I will be able to head to Bible study, and tomorrow night after work we are picking my daughter up from the train station in Albany - first time I'll get to see her since dropping her off at school in September. Looking forward to a fun visit with her over the Thanksgiving holiday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 11/15/12: Preston's birthday

by , November 15th, 2012 at 05:35 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    00 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill w/u
    4 x 100 kick on 1:45

5 x 200 on 2:45
    - 1-2: FR pull with buoy
    - 3-4: 100 FR/100 BK pull with buoy
    - 5: IM - went 2:40

5 x 50 on :55
    - 1-4: Quarter's Strong
    - 5: FAST - went 26 high

Noah's Ark as loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2750 yds/50 min)
    ---------------------------------

Still feeling the effects of this head cold, which I am thankful has not moved to my chest. Have been able to catch up on rest, which is the most helpful thing for me, so I had a nice swim today with a little bit of speed play. I will be dry through the weekend, and plan to get back into the swim of things early next week before the holiday.

I signed up for the BU meet today. I split request the 800 during the 1500 last weekend so I don't have to travel to Boston on the Friday of the meet to swim it. I am planning to drive down in the morning and spend the night in the city. They offer all SCM events (except the 1500), and a max of 5 events per day. As is usually the case, I'll be swimming some back to back events, but after looking at last year's timeline and the number of entries so far this year, I should be able to get some rest between efforts. Last year 515 swimmers entered, and we are only at 142 right now, which bodes well for me to get more rest I decided to swim 5 a day, and here is my lineup:

6 Male 100 SCM IM 1:11.62 12/08/2012
    8 Male 200 SCM Breast 3:13.31 12/08/2012
    12 Male 200 SCM Back 2:24.82 12/08/2012
    18 Male 50 SCM Fly 0:31.20 12/08/2012
    20 Male 200 SCM Free 2:14.30 12/08/2012

30 Male 400 SCM Free 4:45.57 12/09/2012
    34 Male 100 SCM Free 1:00.43 12/09/2012
    38 Male 50 SCM Back 0:31.15 12/09/2012
    44 Male 200 SCM Fly 2:43.33 12/09/2012
    48 Male 100 SCM Back 1:07.75 12/09/2012

I have three gridges going at this point - 200 breast with Aztimm (looks like Stud will be on the DL for this), the parlay 400 FR with Jaadams1, That Guy, qbrain, and Aztimm, and the 50 back with Fortress Any other takers? Most know of my lack of fondness for the 2breast, but thought it would be fun to swim it with the guys and use it as an excuse to work my worst stroke for IM purposes. Fort beat me last year, so I will use that for motivation to come out this year (although she'll probably beat me again ).

Now, what about that 200 fly? It was a toss up between doing that again (and racking up more individual points since last year only one person in my age group swam it) or the 50 breast, which is right before the 100 back - I opted to loaf a 200 fly for points and get more rest for the backstroke. 1600 scm's of racing, three hours travel each way - and I have to be at work the next day for a 12 hour shift.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  6. Workout 11/13/12:

by , November 13th, 2012 at 09:39 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 fr/200 bK/200 IM Drill

Repeat 3 times:
    - 1 x 200 FR on 3:30
    - 2 x 100 FR on 1:55 pull with buoy
    - 1 x 100 FR on :10 SR into
    - 1 x 50 FAST!
    - Masters Minute and repeat

1 x 100 Kick on :20 SR
    2 x 50 Kick on :15 SR

4 x 50 Active Recovery on 1:10
    (Masters/Rec/2650 yds/55 min)
    -------------------------------

My very seldom opportunity to swim with the Masters team on Tuesday night happened today. I have been feeling the effects of this head cold since coming home from the meet on Sunday, and barely got through my long day yesterday (with the help of 12-hr Sudafed and lots of ginger ale). Swam the workout as written and enjoyed talking with GregJS, Steve, and Carol tonight.

So normally today is my long day at work, but I was invited to the state house by the VT Dept of Health Commissioner due to the work of the RX abuse task force that I am working with. The very low cost model for removing expired/unused/unwanted drugs from our community's homes through a mailing label initiative or by way of permanent drop-off at the Sheriff's office (either in person or by a deputy coming to your house to pick it up) was highlighted as one of four core standards that the state is trying to implement. Throughout the state different agencies are doing things to reduce the "social access" to medicines as well as reducing environmental damage by improperly disposed drugs. Neat that our work over the last two years might be picked up on a statewide level. Anyways, needed to be up for 6am for the 2.5 hours drive to attend the 8 hour meeting, and I made it back in time to practice.

Saw that jbs updated his splits from the meet Sunday, so I did the same here.

Pregunta del noche: What is the capital of Vermont? (Yes, Vermont is one of the 50 states )

Updated November 13th, 2012 at 10:30 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Meet 11/11/12: Riverton (scm)

by , November 11th, 2012 at 09:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    First - thanks to all you in blogger land that have served our country in the military. I appreciate the sacrifice that you and your family have made for our country and the freedoms that we enjoy in it.

Had a great weekend trip up to Maine for the 5th Annual Greater Portland Swim Meet. After I finished coaching the masters group here in town (and confirmed my suspicion that it is, indeed, possible to deposit a human into a standard latex swimming cap then transport them down the length of the pool (I'll post a picture the next time this happens), I grabbed a quick lunch and hit the road for a 4.5 hour drive to Maine. I arrived at my friend's house as dinner preparations were underway, and was able to catch up with my kayaker Bobby, his wife Val, and their son Troy.

Val's parents came by and we enjoyed a great dinner of lasagne, salad, and chocolate cake with some Ben and Jerry's for dessert. Great conversation, especially since it was not dominated by swimming (which happens way to often), then we played some Mario Cart on the Wii before getting to bed. A good breakfast today then I made the ten minute drive across town to the Riverton community pool.

6 lane, 25 meter pool, 82 degrees

After getting changed (wore my New England Master square leg suit for warmups, and Yingfa racer for events) I ran into JBS and warmed up in the lane next to him. I have two inspirations for this meet - doing the Brute Squad events just like John did last year, and another I'll discribe later for the 200 fly. I assured John I wouldn't blame him for choosing these events, because the idea of the challange (even though this particular one is not being run this year) in swimming the three events in one meet that most people never swim is just the right kind of crazy for me to take on.

Anywho, got in my standard 1300 warmup and rested during the 400 FR with my yaker and family, who came to watch me suffer through the 400 IM. IIt was Bob's first ever swim meet experience, so I explained a little bit about how the whole thing works and my own procedures leading up to a swim. I almost would rather swim an ultra-marathon OW swim over pool events these days, as there is a lot more energy involved in preparing for tactics in the pool events, whereas for the most part you just hop in a swim 10 miles. Well, it kind of makes sense I guess.

400 IM 5:32.85
    33.23 40.11
    (1:21.47) - missed the pad twice I guess
    52.35 54.25
    36.02 35.42
    - Only the second time I have swam this race, and I felt really happy with the time. I had to ease a bit on the second 50 of the fly as I didn't want a repeat of my first attempt at this, and was thinking "crap, I'm going to swim the 200 fly after this." Settled into a really smooth back leg, with strong turnover and little kick as I controlled breathing. Then I just focused on staying underwater as long as possible on breast before powering home the free portion. Bob mentioned that I looked really good until the breast leg, and I laughed because while it is still not stellar, it has improved dramatically over last year. Did a 200 before this and 150 after to loosen up, and waited a bit before the ...

200 Fly 2:43.33
    35.65 42.29
    44.47 40.92
    - I was talking with John before this, as we were the only two doing it, about warming up, and we both figured we'd just swim it (why waste any energy?) I tried to find my inner-TG DPS flyer and took it easy for the first 150. Some may call it loafing (I did), but I maintained 8 spl, then decided to build into the seventh 25 and then lay the hammer down (it wasn't heavy, believe me) on the last length.
    - Did this in honor of Peony Munger from the Pacific Northwest that James mentioned in his meet write-up. What an incredible woman who left a great legacy for USMS in this difficult event.

50 Breast 39.58
    - Did this for kicks, frog kicks that is. After a 150 cooldown from the fly, I swam a really fast time for me. I had Dan from the Pittsfield (MA) Polar Bears watch me, and he gave good advice about improving my start and also keeping my hands more in front of my body instead of trying to bring them to my chest. I almost got DQ'd on the start - I have been breaking streamline, holding my hands apart and deploying the dolphin kick, then resuming my pull, but the official wasn't all that sure that I could stop my pull to kick. I do intentionally break streamline and move my hands apart, but I'll have to check on this to be sure I don't get deeked from doing the only thing that is fast about my breaststroke at this point.

1500 Free +split request 19:41.94
    (400 = 5:06.66, 800 = 10:28.62)
    33.63 36.79 38.35 38.29 39.61
    39.65 40.20 40.14 40.67 40.73
    39.71 38.62 41.56 40.57 39.59
    40.51 37.46 39.64 41.38 41.45
    39.75 39.82 40.51 40.59 41.06
    39.29 40.08 38.85 40.09 33.35
    - My first mile swim in the pool. My plan was to just lengthen out my 500 strategy, by doing 1-2 SDK's off each wall, kicking hard past the flags then dropping into strong DPS and a two-beat kick to maximize shoulder roll. I was also thinking about pwb's 800 from yesterday and counted strokes. I was able to hold 13-14 spl, but when I didn't SDK it jumped to 16. I wanted to negative split, but think my second 500 was too slow to accomplish this, as I tried to pick it up too soon and felt like crap, so I slowed down more than I probably would have. I kicked a bit farther off each wall as the 100's ticked off, and with 200 left my stomach was aching. I did my best to switch to a six-beat kick anyway, and on the last 50 gave everything left in the tank. (Thankfully it staying in there too, because on more than one occasion I was not sure that would happen)

After this I did a 100 float, flogging 4250 meters for the day. This is a great meet, as Son is able to provide the only 1500 scm in New England as well as all of the stroke and IM options in a meet that takes about 3.5 hours from start to finish. I was very thankful that he was also able to get the officials and timers, as well as count my 1500, to allow this meet to happen. It is a fast pool with a great mix of fast swimmers as well as folks entering their first event.

It was a long ride home, but I manged to get gas in New Hampshire for 17 cents cheaper than here at home. I also stopped at Wendy's for a grilled chicken sandwich and french fries to help restock my glycogen stores, and added a chocolate chip ice cream sandwich from my second pit stop. Always great to check in with my Maine breather, and be around a great group of folks helping to reach their community with the joys of masters swimming!

Updated November 13th, 2012 at 10:00 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 1500, 400 im, riverton
    Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  8. Workout 11/09/12:

by , November 9th, 2012 at 01:48 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    (Swam Wed before work - 1400 IG in 25 min)

Today:
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM

4 x 200 on 2:50
    - first 50 = IMO hard,
    - last 150 = DPS Fr

4 x 100 on 1:30
    - first 75 = DPS Fr
    - last 25 = RIMO fast

6 x 50
    - odd = kick with board on :60
    - even = burst and cruise on :50

2 x 50 Fr on 1:00 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2200 yds/35 min)
    --------------------------------

Wednesday was kinda a bust as far as swimming goes. Missed the Tri-train and basically got through some easy swimming, working the walls. The last three days at work have been brutal, so with stress up and sleep down, I have developed a little head cold. Starting using the NediPot again and taking some OTC stuff to function, but more or less trying to sleep more and rest (although I plan to catch some local music in town tonight).

Today I felt ok in the water. Planned to get some more stroke swimming in before the weekend and I accomplished that. After coaching the masters group tomorrow, I plan to head to Portland, ME, for the SCM meet Sunday. I'll stay the night with my kayaker and family - always a fun getaway. Signed up for the 400 IM, 200 Fly, 50 breast, 1500 FR (with 800 split request), so a full day. Can't remember if anyone counts for the 1500 - if not, I'll wing it. It'll be my first mile swim in the pool, so we'll see how it goes
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 11/06/12:

by , November 6th, 2012 at 11:50 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

Go four times through w/ snorkel:
    - 100 FR on 1:25 DPS
    - 100 FR on 1:25 pull with buoy
    - 100 kick on 1:50 with board

4 x 100 IM on 1:30
    - Quarters Strong by 100
    - Went 1:16, :26, :24, :22

200 loosen and out

(Solo/Rec/2400 yds/45 min)
    ------------------------------

Woke up early and took my son to the polls this morning - showed him the ballot and then he went to check out the goodies and coffee that rewards us for voting. It was a crisp 17 degrees this morning. Got in for a swim and just looked to have a good "feel" in the water - mission accomplished.

Make sure to get out and vote today!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 11/05/12: noon

by , November 5th, 2012 at 02:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 100 Fr/100 Bk/200 IM drill

1650 FR with snorkel, done as:
    10 x 50 on :45
    5 x 100 flutter kick on 1:50 (w/ board)
    5 x 100 pull with buoy dropdown
    (1:30, :25, :20. :15, :10) <- just made it
    1 x 50 DPS on :60
    4 x 25 FAST on :30

4 x 50 stroke/drill on :60

Timed 400 IM: went 5:28
    1:15
    2:38 (1:23)
    4:17 (1:39)
    5:28 (1:11)

50 float
    100 IM = 1:14.87

150 loosen with snorkel
    4 x 25 with snorkel on :30
    50 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/3100 yds/55 min)
    ---------------------------

Had fun with a mile set - was able to get a solid :10sr with the swims and kicks, then descended the pull portion, just getting the last two in. Finally got that 400IM in - my goal was to have a strong 50 then build a 50 with each stroke. Too slow on the fly and back - need to stay relaxed during both of those and be efficient in order to keep my breath under control for some rocking Br pullouts. Not a bad practice time for me (of the four timed 4im's I've done, the Br leg today was the fastest - good news).

Started to spit snow a bit today here in VT ahead of the next storm coming up the East Coast, so I'll postpone outside work due more to the wind than anything. Also, I remember last year raking before the Riverton meet and tweaking my back, so I'll do that stuff next week.

There was basketball last night, but it started at 7pm and I was ready to relax after work and the first Sunday of the month nursing home service that I am able to lead. Took it easy and had a nice soak in the hot tub. The only other interesting news is that Emma will be able to see a speech from Bill Clinton tonight at UPenn - finally stumping before the big vote tomorrow. I heard him speak on NPR on the way home from Kingdom Swim this summer - good speaker. I just told Emma to pass on any offer to partake in a cigar

Updated November 5th, 2012 at 06:11 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 1650, 400 im
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 11/05/12: am

by , November 5th, 2012 at 10:00 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill

8 x 100, done as:
    - odd: FR Quarter Strong (by 100) on 1:30
    - even: IM kick

200 stroke drill

4 x 50 on :50
    - FR DPS down
    - IMO stroke back, FAST

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2000 yds/35 min)
    --------------------------

Took it easy this morning with some more generous intervals and small amounts of fast swimming. I worked this weekend so stayed dry, missed out on a trip to Philly to see Emma (although my wife managed to get pulled over once and lost six times - can't wait to see the EZ Pass statement).

Have the Riverton meet this weekend: plan is to swim again at lunch after a few errands, maybe some yard work before Bible study tonight. Plan to do a small drop taper in prep for Sunday, although I need to get in a 400 IM for time at some point.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 11/01/12: noon

by , November 1st, 2012 at 10:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 100 Fr/100 Bk
    1 Noah's Ark with snorkel and paddles

10 x 50 FR on :45 with snorkel
    4 x 125 IM on :15sr (float the 50 stroke)
    1 x 50 EZ

Go three times through:
    - 100 Kick on 1:50 (flutter with board and snorkel)
    - 2 x 100 Fr on 1:20 (pull with buoy and snorkel)
    - 1 x 50 EZ on 1:00
    - 2 x 25 Burst and cruise stroke on :30
    (did Fr, Bk, fly by round)

200 w/d with snorkel and out
    (Solo/Rec/3150 yds/55 min)
    ------------------------------
    Good second workout. The lane started to fill in on the IM set, so I just went when I could in order to get it all in. That main set was a nice mixture of lower leg/upper body/go really fast pain, and I was happy with the results.

The massage was great this afternoon - first time getting those warm stones as part of the deal, and I tried not to laugh too much from the rocks between the toes tickle torture. I fell asleep after I flipped over, and I guess my wife's masseuse checked with her to be sure I wasn't in any sort of distress.

The play at the high school was great. First time in four years that our daughter has not been there running the lights and sound, but it was fun to support the kids that we know who are acting this year. I am debating a swim before work tomorrow, but most likely will sleep though it.

Updated November 1st, 2012 at 11:11 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 11/01/12: morning

by , November 1st, 2012 at 09:32 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM

4 x thru:
    - 150 Fr Pull on 2:05 with buoy and snorkel
    - 100 flutter kick on 2:00 with board and snorkel

10 x 50 on :50
    - 1-4 Quarters Strong Fr
    - 5 EZ Fr
    - 6-9 Quarters Strong stroke (Fly, Bk)
    - 10 EZ Fr

150 w/d with snorkel and out
    (Solo/Rec/2350 yds/45 min)

Had a fun night last night, and even got some candy out of the deal. I used to porge right through it, now I ration it out for after swim practice.

Didn't have a lot of time this morning, but a good swim. Two other Masters swimmers were there, which is nice to see.

Busy day - furnace is getting cleaned now, then I am bring the cats to the vet before swimming at lunchtime. After collecting my son from school my wife and I are going to have a couples massage with those warm stones, then off to the high school to watch opening night of Cinderella.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 10/31/12:

by , October 31st, 2012 at 02:07 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    6 x 100 FR Pull on 1:20 with buoy and snorkel

8 x 100 on 1:50 with snorkel
    - odds = flutter kick with board
    - evens = swim fly-fr-br-fr, then shuffle
    ---- strong on the stroke, DPS the Fr

6 x 150 FR Pull on 2:00 with buoy and snorkel
    1 x 200 social kick (*works better with someone else)

Spooky Strokey Set (SSS):
    2 x 100 IM on 1:30 (went 1:18, :22)
    1 x 200 IM on 3:15 (went 2:47)
    2 x 100 Bk on 1:30 (went 1:20, :18)
    1 x 200 Bk on 3:15 (went 2:27)
    Skipped the following:
    4 x 100 IM on 1:30
    1 x 400 IM on 6:30

1 x 50 ez
    5 x 50 FR on 1:00 with snorkel (DPS, descend)
    - went :38, :34, :30, :29, :29

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/4100 yds/75 min)

No too much to report post-Sandy here in Vermont. In our area there were sporadic power outages due to fallen trees (not my house), but we mostly had some wind and rain. Since we are still trying to rebuild the main bridge heading east of town from Irene last year, we were blessed to be spared from another pounding this year. My daughter was ok in Philly, but I have family in CT and NJ that are still without power and will likely remain that way for days. Sending prayers out to all affected by the storm.

The Rec Center closed early Monday so I missed out on my swim, and everything in town (except your friend Price Chopper Pharmacy) was closed yesterday. I hopped in before lunch today and felt a bit creaky in the water. I thought of the SSS as I was swimming, and ran out of time before the 400 IM's (which is actually ok by me ).

Plans for the rest of the day include helping to set up the "Journey Through the Bible" at my son's school and then help out during and after it. It is an alternative to trick-or-treating where kids can come (with or without costume) and see different skits from the Bible acted out by the students, then load up on candy after each "stop." Preston will probably be a guide again this year. When we get home we'll watch some Halloween classics: Charlie Brown, Garfield, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and this weekend we usually pop in the Nightmare Before Christmas. Stay safe tonight, everyone.
    Also, I am at post #299 in the forums, which should mean that I will get a treat shortly after my next post.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. 10/29/12: NSR

by , October 29th, 2012 at 05:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Sandy has closed the pool today and tomorrow at the least, so no swimming for me for a bit.

I was able to help at the registration booth yesterday for the cyclocross race in Bennington. Remember that my brother (the biker and former swimmer) swam at our meet in April, so I (the never was biker) helped out at his event. Last year it snowed, so it was canceled. This year it was beautiful for a race - they had a total of twelve divisions (including the costume one lap race I did) and lots of people out to ride.

You can see that the my wave (I'm the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown) had a varied group - Lance came with his lawyer (and special feed), Jesus was following the young Men In Black fellow (both well ahead of Buddy the Elf and some dude in a tutu), and other little ones that had already taken off:

I might have taken a wrong turn, but I was busy have fun and not falling over ...

More photos from the event here.

Great time. I am thinking of doing the Cat 4/citizen men ride next year, but we shall see. I'd have to remove my bar ends for that to happen.
  16. Workout 10/27/12:

by , October 27th, 2012 at 08:24 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/300 kick-swim by 100 with snorkel

Read pwb's post (and JBS's, too) so I tried the [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=276852&postcount=575"]Thorpe Test Set[/ame] from Tall Paul:
    Middle "D" & Sprint groups
    "Thorpe Test set" (done every 4-6 weeks)
    - 16 x 50's @ :50 every 4th @ 200 race pace
    - 12 x 50's @ 1:00 every 3rd @ 200 race pace
    - 8 x 50's @ 1:10 every other @ 200 race pace
    - 4 x 50's @ 1:20 all @ 200 race pace
    -- stroke/IM option is to swim all the recovery swims free and only the "fast" swims stroke.
    I did a mixture of FR pull with buoy and Bk for the non-fast stuff, and logged the following for the FR (goal time = 1:54, or 28.50)
    1. 30.97, 29.43, 29.62, 28.69 = 1:58.71
    2. 28.38, 28.13, 27.37, 28.56 = 1:52.44
    3. 28.50, 28.50, 27.68, 29.00 = 1:53.68
    4. 29.82, 28.12, 28.69, 27.75 = 1:54.38

200 float with snorkel and out
    (Solo/Rec/2900 yds/60 min)

I have to admit that this workout kicked my backside pretty good, and it felt good. I read in Tall Paul's workout thread where That Guy gave it a go, and had stuck in my mind that after the second round the easy:fast swim ratio was less than positive, Knowing that I would have to squeeze this set in (Sat pm is dead at the pool), I did a less than normal workout and it showed during the first round. The last two wounds found me with a heart rate that would not slow down, causing my times to rise as well. That near Lactate kicker on the fourth round is a devious touch

Overall, I am happy with those times. I will add it to the Test Set Tracking page on the blog and revisit it in about a month or so. Had a great start to the day coaching the local Masters team and playing with the pace clock as mentioned in the June coaches newsletter. After we finished up, I walked downtown with my wife to check out Fallapalooza (the town shuts down Main Street and brings in vendors and hosts treating for the kids) - good times. After my swim this evening we grabbed takeout from the local chippie and I sill soon be heading for
    Tags: thorpe
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 10/26/12:

by , October 26th, 2012 at 10:30 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 BK/200 IM drill

10 x 100 with snorkel
    - odds DPS FR on 1:20
    - evens kick on 1:50

5 x 200 on 3:00
    - 1-4: first 50 hard IMO
    - 5 = 200 IM drill

50 ez

10 x 50 Fr done as:
    1-4: Quarters Strong on :50 with snorkel
    5: AFAP with snorkel (28.4) on :60
    6-9: Quarters Strong on :50 (w/o)
    10: AFAP (26.8) on :60

50 ez
    4 x 25 FAST IMO on :30
    50 ez
    4 x 25 FAST on :30
    - odds: back with start
    - evens: DPS FR

250 loosen and out with snorkel
    (Solo/Rec/3700 yds/70 min)

Another good swim today with a mix of volume transitioning into higher intensity. Alternating swim and kick with the first pre-set is getting easier, and I will try to drop the kick time down next week. Using the snorkel does seem to allow for better leg positioning with the kick, which I can translate into my fast swims. I like that. I tried to descend those swims, and went 1:10,:08:08,:07,:06).

I was going to repeat my little IM set from a few weeks ago, but the lane got crowded and I skipped the fast 200 IM on #5. I was pretty fried by that one, anyway. On the Quarters Strong, I wanted to see what difference the fast 50 would show with and without the snorkel. About two seconds, which I attribute mostly to lackluster turns with the snorkel (since it flops about a bit). That last 50 is a great practice time for me, especially at the end of that set. Then I tired to bust out some fast stroke stuff before warmdown.

I have full weekend ahead. I am coaching the local group tomorrow morning and plan to swim myself at some point. Our town has lots of events, including high school fall sports playoff games, Fallapalooza downtown tomorrow (shouldn't snow this year), and Sunday I will be helping at the Wicked Creepy Cyclocross race (registration in the morning, then I will be dressed as a pumpkin during the costumed ride at noon. I was going to enter an actual race, but they all last at least 30 minutes and I'm not that keen on breaking my neck (yet).

Have a great weekend, and be prepared for Frankenstorm all my east coast friends.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Workout 10/24/12:

by , October 24th, 2012 at 02:01 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    wu: 100 Fr/100 Bk

Did the following as FR with snorkel
    2 x 150 Strong
    2 x 75 (Fast, EZ)
    2 x 100 (Fast, EZ)
    2 x 100 (Fast, EZ)
    2 x 75 (Fast, EZ)
    2 x 150 Strong
    (here the Tri-Train pulled off the tracks and I continued)
    2 x 125 IM (50 Bk) on :15 strong

50 EZ 10 x 50 with snorkel
    - odds kick on :55
    - evens swim on :45

100 float with snorkel and out (Tri Train/Rec/2200 yds/45 min)

-------------------------------------

I decided to get up early in order to catch the Tri Train at the pool this morning. I have a tough time waking up early! Had a good swim, and kept going a bit longer after they finished up. No real intervals, just wait for the rest of the train to pull into the depot then head out again. I decided to use the snorkel for the whole set, and felt more fatigued the second time through. I thought that by adding the 2x 125 I'd hit 1650 for the set, but it was early and my calculator wasn't working apparently!

Looking forward to the water again on Friday .
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 10/22/12:

by , October 22nd, 2012 at 04:43 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I was able to split the lane with GregJS today for a great lunchtime swim ...

w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    10 x 50 with snorkel
    - odds = Fr DPS on :45
    - evens = kick with board on :55

On to a Broken 1650

Try to hit your 1650 pace during the broken swim. Pick a Base + :10 for the interval (my base is 1:20 - so 1:30).

3 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (went 1:06.50, 107.75, 1:08.43)
    4 x 150 Free @ 2:15 (went 1:46.81, 1:49.00, 1:49.44, 1:51.82)
    3 x 200 Free @ 3:00 (went 2:30.68, 2:27.75, 2:28.62)
    3 x 50 Free @ :45 (went 31.56, 30.87, 31.62)
    (1650 add-up time: 19:40)
    (Total set time: 24:20.68)
    50 ez, followed by 50 breast

6 x 100 Bk on 1:30 (1:15, :16, :16, :18, :14)
    3 x 200 Fr Pull with buoy and snorkel on 2:50
    1 x 50 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/4100 yds/80 min)

Great to run into Greg today and get some feedback on the coached workouts I have been using with our team. Also to pick his brain about technique on breaststroke (here is that link we talked about related to [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21401"]kicking[/ame] - post 16+).

I have been wanting to do this broken mile again, and since the lane was not full today I did it. I knew that I would not be as fast as I was in Februrary (different time in the training cycle), and was just under 50 seconds slower today. Oh well - a good quality set none the less

Since things were quiet, I popped off some backs, focusing on at least 4 sdk per wall and max 10 strokes per length; accomplished. I need to swim more backstroke in practice with the 200 bk coming up at the BU meet in December.

I mentioned to Greg that I plan to do the Brute Squad events (400 IM, 200 Fly, 1500) at the Riverton meet in a few weeks. Even though they are not running the numbers this year for the competition, I figure I will give it a shot as it is the only meet in our neck of the woods swimming a 1500 scm (which I planned on doing anyways). Should be a good challenge! Wonder if John and Susan are going to give it a go
    Tags: 1650
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Timed swims
  20. Workout 10/18/12:

by , October 18th, 2012 at 10:21 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

10 x 100 with snorkel
    - Odds = Free on base (1:20) - work DPS
    - Evens = kick on base + 30 (1:50)

50 ez
    6 x 150 Pull with Buoy on 2:00
    - did backstroke on last 25

50 ez
    200 DPS smooth with paddles
    - alt fr/bk by 50

100 IM for time (1:07.82)
    50 ez
    4 x 50 on :60
    - 25 FR DPS, leave at the :25 and
    - 25 AFAP IM order

150 with snorkel loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3300 yds/60 min)

Great swim tonight. Good warmup (see [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=212663&postcount=1437"]Ande's SFF tip[/ame] about kicking with a snorkel I saw last night) to the 150's, which I went 1:46 then held :50-52 the rest of the way, pushing through the heavy arms and engaging my hips to drive the pull and working to incorporate my upper body. Felt consistent, which is good for me.

Moved into some fast stroke efforts after lowering my heart rate a bit. I was looking through my blogs for the 100 IM challenge - with tonight's swim I've done 35 on the year. Probably won't hit 100, but that was my fastest practice time since March. Faithful readers will know that I am working to improve my breaststroke, and I am feeling like that hitch and lunge thing is finally happening after working my kick and timing. Great ideas from the forums to help out with this. For the 25's my times were (:14, :15, :18, :12) - tiring! I will do these on 1:10 or 1:15 next time to get more rest.

Planning to stay dry for the rest of the weekend. I have juiced enough grapes for 3.5 batches of jelly, and my wife's friends came through to pick the rest of our harvest. She bartered for leeks and fresh eggs from one gal, and goat milk and cheese from a local organic farm.

Here is a picture I took today, looking towards Bennington and north. The Monument is towards the middle of the pic, on the left. Gorgeous day today!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts