View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Workout 03/06/12: The waves keep on crashing on me

by , March 6th, 2012 at 09:34 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IMO drill

Go four times through:
    - 3 x 50 Kick/Swim/Drill on :60
    - 1st/3rd = FR, 2nd/4th = stroke (BK)

10 x 100 FR pull with buoy on 1:20
    1 x 100 ez
    5 x 100 Stroke on 1:30

200 loosen and out
    (With Masters group/Rec/3000 yds/60 min)
    ---------------------------

Went to Biannual Tuesday night masters practice since I am off work this week. Joelle and Ryan were there so we did her workout (they are both post-grad students at Bennington College).

I felt strong on the pulls, out in 1:06, then held 0:08-09's until a 1:07 on the last one. I really focused on my pull and keeping my elbows high in the water - last week when I did this I avg'd 2 seconds slower over the 10 so I am happy.

For the strokes, I did 3 back and 3 IM. I really worked underwaters with the back, went 1:12,:13,:10, and after an pain filled first IM (1:20.52), I took an extra 30 seconds and went 1:12.93 on the last one. I still have not forgotten about the 100 x 100 IM challenge, but I need to be more diligent in doing them in practice.

I was thinking of doubling tomorrow, but I still feel crummy after yesterday (and chose not to do it today). With 10 days before champs, I will start a slow taper for the rest of the week (although I hope for a hard practice on Saturday), then drop yards like they are going out of style. Next week I will have to be dry on Thursday, and instead of driving to Boston that night I will leave early on Friday since I am not swimming first thing - I'll get more sleep and also save on a night of hotel expenses.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 3/5/12 noon:

by , March 5th, 2012 at 05:17 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 100 FR/100 BK/200 IM drill

Go four times through:
    - 100 FR pull with buoy on 1:20
    - 50 kick on :60 IMO
    - 50 Swim FAST on :50 IMO

300 Drill (FR/BK/fly-br)

Go four times through:
    - 50 AFAP (did FR/BK/Fly/BK)
    - 75 ez
    - Did these on ~ 3:00 (in between traffic)

6 x 75 in 1:30
    - first and last FR - 49, 48
    - middle four BK - 51,52,50,48

100 cooldown and out
    (solo/Rec/2550 yds/50 minutes)
    (total yards for day = 5050/90 min)
    -----------------------------------

A bit less congested in the water at lunch, but I was happy to get some fast efforts in. The AFAP were more like 90% effort since I'm not at 100%. I tired.

I was able to talk Kevin into doing the 75's with me - he likes to swim that distance and agreed to do them only if we went on 1:30. Fine by me I was happy to get the last back under 50.

I'm kinda tired now. Went to lunch with my wife, then proceeded to pass out in the car for an hour as she and my son did some shopping. Off to men's Bible study tonight, and then I will be talking with a pharmacist going to Nicaragua in April with the GHO medical missions group - her first time so the trip leader connected us in order to talk about what to expect.

Maybe I'll double Tues instead of Wednesday ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. 03/05/12 am: We tried so hard

by , March 5th, 2012 at 11:00 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 fr/200 bk
    4 x 100 kick on 1:50

8 x 100 pull with buoy
    - 5 free and 3 back

8 x 50 quarters strong ~ :60
    - 4 free and 4 back

1 Noah's Ark pull with buoy
    (solo/Rec/2500 yds/40 min)
    ----------------------

I got in a recovery swim yesterday of easy stuff not worth mentioning in a blog. My shoulders and neck are still sore from the meet on Saturday.

Since I'm off from work this week the plan is to swim doubles today and Wednesday, team practice on Tuesday, then start taper mode for the Harvard meet next weekend. These morning practices are a tad disappointing since there are large numbers of people splashing about with me. Maybe lunchtime will be less congested?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 03/02/12: I need some time to search my mind

by , March 2nd, 2012 at 03:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200BK/200 IM drill

10 x 100 FR pull with buoy on 1:20
    ez 50

8 x 50 on :55
    - odd kick IMO (25 strong, 25 FAST)
    - even swim IMO

4 x 50 FR on :45
    - Quarter's strong
    ez 50
    4 x 50 FR on :50
    - Burst 8/10/12/14 no breath then cruise
    ez 50
    4 x 75 on 1:20
    - by 25: FR DPS/Fast IMO/FR burst 6 and cruise
    ez 50
    1 x 100 IM for time (went 1:09.88)

500 Noah's Ark pull with buoy
    100 loosen and out
    (solo/Rec/3600 yards/60 min)
    -----------------------------

We finally got some more snow over the last couple of days (two inches), and with temps on the way to the upper 40's tomorrow it'll be gone soon. That is good, because it means extra dryland workouts for me (at least last night after work for 40 minutes and again this morning for another 15. If only there was more opportunities this year, I might look like this guy:

Had a good workout today. I felt good on the 100's and since there was only one other person in the lane I did ten: held mostly 1:08's, with 2 :09's and one :10. I wanted to get some kicking in so did the kick/swim alternations before getting into some speed play 50's.

I replaced the usual 25's with 75's, and was doing fine with them until the second one. The guy I was splitting with left when I was at the far end of the pool, so I stayed put in the left side of the lane since no one else was there. Surprise for Mike - head-on collision at mid pool! Felt like this -->

I don't know where the other guy came from, but he thought he should be circle swimming. Good thing I have a thick head, as I was not too banged up. I asked if he was ok, and he just kept apologizing. Goes back to pool etiquette 101 - make yourself known to the people in the water before you start swimming! That is collision #2 since 2009 - both not my fault, so no tickets issued to me

I was happy to get the IM under 1:10 again - still playing with the breast stroke kick and that felt good today. After the swim, I walked down to the bank, then back to the pool to measure it for the meet in April. It's a town pool, so the highway department let the Rec director borrow a 100' steel tape to make it legit. Now waiting for the recognition number and then some people to show up.

Tomorrow I am heading down with three other swimmers from my area (including GregJS, making his first masters meet appearance! ) to the Simon's Rock Pace/Maker meet in Great Barrington, MA. We figured out that we are ALL swimming the 500 FR, so I have put out the plea for counters. As my tribute to slknight, I will also be doing the 200 Fly during the 200 free event, and then also giving the dreaded 100 breast a shot. Goals? Avoid pianos falling on the 2fly, and hitting the "wall" on the 500 FR. I refilled my Ibu800mg in prepartation for this weekend, and my wife and son will be coming down - maybe I can talk one of them into counting for me

More Mike? Sorry. I have a staycation next week (in the retail Rx world, you get time off when corporate tells you they can arrange coverate 90% of the time). No biggie - it'll be nice to have the time off to organize the house a bit and also get some quality swims in since NE Champs is 3/16-18. Actually, my daughter was accepted to Drexel so we are taking a hastily arranged drive to Phili next weekend (9-10th). Never been there, and I hope to sneak out of the tour to catch a practice with tjrpatt on the 10th. Hope all the plans fall into place for that.

Ok, that's it.

Updated March 2nd, 2012 at 06:05 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  5. Workout 02/29/12

by , February 29th, 2012 at 09:06 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    wu: 200 fr/200 bk
    10 x 50 fr pull with buoy on :40
    8 x 25 on :30
    - odd free overkick, even IMO fast
    200 loosen and out
    (solo/Rec/1300/25 min)

Really quick swim before work today. Got in just over 2000 yesterday before work as well. Off tomorrow (work), solid practice on Friday, then meet on Saturday.

Got the new Swimmer magazine in the mail today ... Open Water issue!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 02/27/12: all we had would be all for naught

by , February 27th, 2012 at 03:16 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK

go two times through:
    - 200 Pull on 3:00
    - 100 Kick on 2:00
    - 4 x 50 IMO on 1:00
    (did FR first round, BK second)

500 Noah's Ark with paddles
    100 ez

4 x 100 FR on 1:20 Quarter's strong
    4 x 75 on 1:10 (FR/Stroke IMO fast/FR)
    4 x 50 on 1:00 (IMO: 25 drill/25 fast)
    8 x 25 on :30 (odds: perfect FR, evens: IMO fast)

50 ez into
    100 IM for time (went 1:12.28) into
    50 ez

200 loosen (skulling and such)
    (solo/Rec/3500yds/65 min)
    ------------------------

I am surprised by the yardage total there as I did not feel great in the water today. I did manage to get in 1100 yards before work on Friday (which tipped GTD over 50 miles - new cap coming ), but remained dry until today. I just couldn't "feel" the water today, and my times were not that spectacular. Might have the start of a cold?

Anyways, I had a good weekend. On Saturday after work I went with the family to meet Zion, a Gospel Hip Hop artist ("rapper") at my son's school as part of a program our local newspaper is doing to benefit the schools. He preformed some of his music and also shared a message from James 1:21-25 challenging us be doers of the Word, not just hearers. We were able to talk with him afterwards and support his ministry by buying some goods, and I was able to snap this picture of my son and wife with Zion:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zion.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	6800
    If you like hip hop, you might find yourself blessed by checking him out.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 02/23/12: 100th blog post

by , February 23rd, 2012 at 09:02 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    400 kicking on 1:45/min base per 100
    3 x 100 FR Pull with buoy on ~ 1:20

Back for a visit to [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20181"]the animal lane and the broken 1650[/ame] - actually used James Adams' version:
    Main Set:
    PWB's Broken Mile Set from Week #7 Workouts:

Try to hit your 1650 pace during the broken swim. Pick a Base + :10 for the interval (my base is 1:20 - so 1:30).

3 x 100 Free @ 1:30 (went 1:03.78, 1:04.82, 1:10.00)
    4 x 150 Free @ 2:15 (went 1:43.50, 1:41.81, 1:43.38, 1:41.25)
    3 x 200 Free @ 3:00 (went 2:23.13, 2:22.06, 2:22.75)
    3 x 50 Free @ :45 (went 30.88, 31.06, 31.19)
    Did 100 EZ, then I stayed and helped the Age Group team in town, the Bennington Marauders, with turns.
    (solo/Rec/2850yds/60 minutes)
    ----------

I have been wanting to get this broken mile in since it was posted by PWB last week. It was crowded in the lane until the I started my workout, but thinned out when I got going on the mile (although I got crossed up on the last 100). The add up time = 18:52.31, so I was happy to get under 19 minutes. I tried to swim it at the same intensity from the end of the rep to the beginning of the next to try to mimic a race. I have never done this distance before, so I will have to look for it sometime this year. Hopefully not against James, as I think he would lap me twice.

The Marauders are heading into championships over the next four weeks and the coaches heard that the high school team picked up some hints from my visit a few months ago, so when they asked I was happy to help out. Even though I was teaching the same process for doing the turns, the kids seem to listen more to an old guy doing them than the coaches. I swam with the Marauders from 1986-1996, so it is neat to see them still swimming and doing well.

I made some turkey tetrazinni tonight for dinner - first time and it tasted really good. I love to bake, but have a tougher time cooking - I'm the guy that follows the recipe whereas my wife can just whip up a meal on the fly. Occupational hazard perhaps Hope to squeeze in a quick swim tomorrow before work, then get back into the water on Monday. I feel good about this week's swims, just felt off by missing Monday's practice, since today I am at 49.87 miles for the GTD.

Updated February 23rd, 2012 at 09:19 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 1650
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 02/22/12:

by , February 22nd, 2012 at 02:23 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    - 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    - go two times through:
    -- 4 x 50 on :60
    -- 4 x 75 on :1:30
    --> first = kick, second = pull w/ buoy

Work your way down to the sprintlands:
    - 200 FR on base/100 (2:40)
    - 2 x 150 FR on base/100 (2:00)
    - 3 x 100 FR on base (1:20)
    - 4 x 75 FR on base (:60)
    -- third's fast, last DPS
    - 6 x 50 FR on :60
    -- DPS, 6/8/10/12 FAST breakout (no breath) then cruise, DPS
    - 8 x 25 on :40 IMO
    -- (first set=perfect technique, second set = AFAP)

- 50 EZ, 100 IM timed (1:10.23), 50 EZ
    - 2 x 100 FR with paddles on 1:15
    - 200 w/d
    (solo/Rec/3800/70 min)
    ----------------------

First swim since Saturday, so I was feeling a little rusty. I was going to swim Sunday after church, but my wife made plans to spend the day in Albany and hit some malls. I tried to sneak in at a Y over in that area, but was told that drop-ins were not allowed. It was nice to spend the afternoon with everyone, and of course the pool was closed Monday for the holiday. Today I got to the pool earlier than normal and no one was in the fast lane, so I stuck with my plan of a longer warmup and more kicking. After the 200 at the top of the mountain, 4 people hopped in so I did my best to stay on pace and swim around people.

I actually wanted to get some backstroke in, but with so many people swimming navigation became an issue so I continued with free until the short stuff. My idea here was to get some aerobic distance in then transition to speed play and AFAP swims with more rest. It felt good.

My times were for the long ones were 2:22, 1:49, 1:51, then I remember holding 1:09's on the 100's. The 50's were based on a post that the Fortress made a while back and that I referenced in my LT set blog category over on the sidebar - crank 'em in the beginning then cruse it out. Did not breathe to work a bit on my lungs and came in at :34 on those ones. The stroke 25's felt really good.

The 100 IM time was ok - I am still playing with the breaststroke so it does not feel good to swim it. Oh well. I was going to do more 100's with the paddles, but I felt cooked - water temp was a cool 84 today and I have not slept well the past few nights, so I just got in some warmdown before hopping out.

Beautiful day here in VT - 51 degrees and hardly a cloud in the ski. Going for a walk later with my wife. Not only has our state been hurt with skiers not visiting due to low snow, but the even more lucrative business of snowmobiling is hurting big time. I have read that at least the maple syrup stands are boiling, although it is still to be seen if the lack of very cold days this early in the year will effect the total yield for the spring.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 02/18/12: Could we with ink the ocean fill

by , February 18th, 2012 at 01:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    - 200 FR/200 Bk, 150 IM drill
    - 6 x 50 FR drill
    --- 2 each catch-up, splash back, thumb drag

Down the ladder (team did lower yardage):
    - 400 (did IM)
    - 4 x 100 FR on 1:30
    - 300 FR pull with buoy
    - 4 x 75 IM (no free) on 1:15
    - 200 FR
    - 4 x 50 FR on :45

4 x 75 IM (Indiana IM)

10 minutes Kick Wars
    - Suggested by Carrie the other night: set up cones on deck 5 yards apart, and swimmers start in the middle of cones and play "tug of war" by kicking their opponents past the cone. I wanted to do this 10 yards apart, but the team protested. This is a fun thing and usually the ladies find that they are stronger at kicking than the guys. We had 5 people, so two rows and the "loser" on the far side became the ref as the winner from the near side moved to face the winner on the far side

-Finished off with a Noah's Ark Pull w/ buoy with Kevin after everyone else left. (6:11)
    (BAM masters practice/Rec/3450yds/90 min)
    --------------

I went to a pancake breakfast this morning after seeing on facebook that it was happening at the Capstone Baptist Church in North Bennington - proceeds to help with the juniors and seniors at my son's school mission trip to Guatemala next month. I used to eat like a horse for breakfast, but can't seem to anymore these days. Despite that, I wolfed down a stack of pancakes with real Vermont maple syrup before heading to the team practice this morning.

Ended up being 8 people there today, but I was the only one in swimming the higher yardage workout. Since the 400 was first, I decided to do it IM and hit the following splits: 1:06.62, 1:18.97, 1:42.50, 1:11.00. Total was 5:20.29, which is 7 seconds faster than a couple of weeks ago - you can check my progress here. I was really starved for air on the backstroke, so I need to keep working on breath control, as it lead to poor pullouts on the breast. Room to keep improving ...

The kick wars was fun, and would have been better if we had a farther distance to go. I just grabbed some cones from the garage before heading to practice and set it up - the team was pooped after practice and was not all to interested in really going for it. Oh well, fun idea that you should try with your club. Any other fun ideas that you can share from your team workouts?

Not too much to report for the rest of the day. I volunteered for laundry duty so I will be rocking the clean clothes until going to my daughter's Cabaret tonight with my wife. I heard the song that I referenced above shuffle through my swimp3's today during the Ark, The Love of God. We sang it in church a last summer from the hymnal, and I realized that MercyMe covered it. The story goes that the last verse was penciled on the wall of a narrow room in an insane asylum by a man said to have been demented, and they found the words when they laid him in his coffin, but that article actually points out something even more amazing You can check it out if you'd like.

Updated February 18th, 2012 at 02:52 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 400 im, kick wars
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 02/17/12 pm: drop it at a higher level

by , February 17th, 2012 at 09:34 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I tried! Took an LT set from qbrain and slightly modified it for a workout tonight:

w/u: 200 FR/150 Back

go five times through:
    - Broken 100 AFAP (rest :15 at 50 and 75)
    - Ez 100 back
    - When the clock hits 5 minutes, repeat

I did:
    FR: 28.09, 13.75, 13.12 = 55.36
    FR: 26.38, 13.57, 13.50 = 54.25
    FR: 26.81, 13.75, 13.37 = 55.13
    BK: 30.57, 15.19, 14.63 = 1:01.19
    FR: 27.19, 13.37, 12.75 = 54:11

150 loosen and out
    (solo/Rec/1500yds/40 minutes)
    (total for day = 4,450 yds)
    --------------------

qbrain did this lactate tolerance set of 6 on 6 minutes, but I had less than 40 minutes total and decided to drop the time down to get in 5. I felt zapped after the first one! haha I think that I would have rather benefited from the extra rest, so I have to remember to take it next time.

I will put a link to these types of sets under my blog category sidebar if you want to check them out (I copy the likes of q, fort, and rich a). It is interesting that the age group team doesn't do stuff like this (they didn't when I was a kid either) - wonder if there are disadvantages for the kidos.

I have been thinking about doing these types of sets more, and I get nervous about them, but I can't help but think that they do a great job of preparing the mind and body for race efforts. I played with two mentalities for the frees: odd ones focus on high turnover, whereas on the even ones speed up the tempo but not flail about. I can see that I need to work to control my stroke more when sprinting from the times. Jim T. posed the question last week and I have been thinking about it.

I am a little disappointed in the back, but I have still been frustrated with body placement and finishing my pull with good hip rotation. I think that if I had done the back earlier on in the set them time might have been faster. Oh well - I have put up better times in practice recently so I will excuse myself on the grounds of recovering from my hperglycemic episode yesterday (and today).

I had a good time at my nephew's birthday, complete with pizza, cake and ice cream. I think I have satisfied my sweet tooth for a while. Off to bed soon - team practice tomorrow morning (at least I can sleep in until 9:30 am). Should sleep well tonight!

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 10:19 PM by rxleakem

Tags: lt 100's
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , LT sets
  11. Workout 2/17/12: Turn it on again

by , February 17th, 2012 at 02:48 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Or not ...

4 x 50 FR on :45 (strong, DPS)

Pyramid:
    100 Kick
    200 FR Pull
    300 IM (no free)
    400 FR, then back down

2 x 75 on 1:30
    4 x 75 on 1:15
    - all back - joined a lane mate on the first two, then finished up after Kevin got out
    - 25 DPS, 25 Build, 25 overkick
    - 4 + sdk's of each wall (I need to keep working at these)

50 ez
    100 IM for time (1:12.65 - ouch)
    150 loosen
    (solo/Rec/2950yds/55 minutes)
    ----------------

I fell of the "eat healthier" wagon yesterday after I demolished one of those big peanut m/m Valentine's bag that was on clearance at work. Then I added ice cream when I got home and feel like crap today. Oh well - just polished off my chocolate riding a motorcycle, so most of the junk is gone.

It felt good to get back into the water, and I am going to try to take a HIT later on tonight before going to one of my nephew's birthday parties. I should tired so I won't feel like eating extra cake and ice cream - we'll see how that goes.

Report from the water - not much here to report. I took 20-30 seconds rest on the pyramid, and the backs came in around :55. I mentioned last week that I feel like I'm stuck in the doldrums, so hopefully I'll be joining tpatt with getting back into the grind next week. For me, transitioning to more sprint oriented sets will help me kick the blues.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 02/14/12: Exercise your heart!

by , February 14th, 2012 at 09:37 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

3 x (4 x 50 Quarters strong on :45)
    - 1: Fr
    - 2: Bk
    - :15 SR
    - 3: Fly (did one arm drill when not going strong)

3 x 100 FR on 1:15 descend
    DPS, except fast through the flags
    1:10, :08, :07

200 loosen and out
    (solo/Rec/1700yds/35 minutes)
    -------------------------

Felt better today in the water, less stiff. Had three other lanemates, so I stuck with 50's speed work on the Quarters strong. They are tough and I look forward to the last one in the rotation, since I can get extra DPS work in. Need to stop talking so much on these Tuesday morning dips

Off to work shortly. Half considering getting in tomorrow morning before work, but will probably skip it. My body is telling me I need the rest, and I will be able to plan on some quality swims Fri-Sun, including practice with the masters group on Saturday.

Happy Valentines Day to you love birds out there. Try to make a point to exercise your heart today!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 02/13/12:

by , February 13th, 2012 at 04:45 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 Back
    6 x 100 kick on 1:50
    - did flutter w/ board, back w/o, SDK, flutter, back, then swam a 100 breast on the last one

5 x 200 Pull on 2:45
    - 1: DPS (ez) ~ 2:32
    - 2: 25 DPS/25 HARD ~ 2:24
    - 3: 25 HARD/25 DPS ~ 2:23
    - 4: Build by 50 ~ 2:25
    - 5: Go for it ~ 2:18

10 x 50 on ?
    - Did IMO 1-4, 5-8
    - 100 IM for time ~ 1:10.12

10 x 50 on ?
    - drill/speed play intermixed

100 yards of "you need to work on your breaststroke" with the lifeguard/high school coach that I swam with 20 years ago

200 loosen and out
    (solo/Rec/3300yds/70 min)
    --------------------------

I have to admit that I was sore from that IM set on Thursday, and was enlisting any able (and mostly unwilling) bodies around the house to give old dad a backrub. The swim today was not overly difficult as there ended up being anywhere from 3-6 people in the lane at any given time.

I was coming in on the kicks from 1:30-:35, and was pleased with the 200 pulling times. I went to the 50's on an interval to not run anyone over and worked the turn and breakouts. My neck and shoulders are still a bit tight, but I suppose that I should expect that after swimming that much fly in a practice when I usually don't.

I was happy that Carrie came over to help me with the breaststroke. I was very pleased to drop 10 seconds on the breast portion of the 400 IM last week, and would like to be able to swim this stroke with more efficiency to help out my IM times.

I also measured our home pool today to get it certified for the mini meet I will run on April 28th. It is the same weekend of nationals, so I am sure many bloggers will have to skip our little meet this year, but I think we can get some folks from the New England/upstate NY area to attend and have some fun. Our first meet in Bennington - complete with two 25 yard fun "sprint" events!

Updated February 13th, 2012 at 05:27 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  14. Workout 02/09/12 pm: Here You are now with us

by , February 9th, 2012 at 09:05 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a nice day with my wife, ate at a Fish Fry, and dozed off in the car. Then I went to [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=259896&postcount=1"]pwb's workout 1 from this week[/ame] ...

w/u: 200 FR/ 200 Bk

IM Test Set (2,600 set)

4 x 50: on (BASE 0:20) :60 per 50, IM order, add up to 200 IM time go hard
    4 x 50: active recovery free, start on BASE/2, then add 0:05 to each 50 :40 ... :55
    1 x 200: on (BASE + 0:20) 3:20 per 100, IM, fast try to be as close to your add-up time as possible
    4 x 50: active recovery free, start on BASE/2, then add 0:05 to each 50
    1:30 rest

4 x 100: on (BASE + 0:40) 2:00 per 100, IM order, add up to 400 IM time go hard
    1 x 400: on (BASE + 0:20) 6:40 per 100, IM, fast try to be as close to your add-up time as possible
    1:30 rest

4 x 25: on (BASE/2) :40 per 25, IM order, add up to 100 IM time go hard
    1 x 100: on (BASE + 0:20) 1:40, IM, fast try to be as close to your add-up time as possible
    Then a 50 cool down.
    (solo/Rec/3050 yards/60 min)
    (total for day = 4050 yards)
    --------------------------

This was intense. I will point out that the fish and chips I had at lunch was way too much food, but delicious. I am happy I did a #2 before swimming or there would have been a code brown after the middle set.

Let me look at these IM times (total set time = 51:23):
    Set 1:
    4x50's: 31.50, 33.63, 42.50, 34.13 = 2:22.56
    1x200: 32.19, 38.31, 47.56, 33.63 = 2:32.49
    (on the 50's, loafed the free. What's up with that back split on the 200???)

Set 2:
    4x100's: 1:11.31, 1:13.37, 1:28.93, 1:06.82 = 5:02.03
    1 x 400: 1:14.44, 1:20.38, 1:40.00, 1:12.12 = 5:27.34
    * 2nd ever 400 IM, went 5:43 in December, so I am happy. I was hurting on the back and went to a two beat kick. Breast? I celebrate a 10 second drop from the last one.

Set 3:
    4x25's: 14.82, 15.13, 20.38, 13.50 = 1:05.03
    1x100: went 1:06.35
    Had the age group coach time me from his go and a push - I really poured the coal on this one and felt ready to puke when I finished. It was good!

Have to try this again. I liked the variation in distances, and was happy that my swimp3 is working again (it needed a week off for bad behavior). My eyes are really heavy, so a hot tub and some ice cream for me before calling it a night. I have to get up on time tomorrow morning for work - slept through 2 snoozes today!
    Tags: 400 im
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 2/9/12 am: I'm tired of taking it slow

by , February 9th, 2012 at 09:22 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    But I did this morning ...

w/u
    200 Kick (flutter with board)
    200 FR

(solo/rec/1000 yards/15 minutes)
    -----------------

Not a lot of time this morning, but instead of going back to bed I jumped in for a quick splash. Guess I should have gone to sleep last night instead of looking up what Chuck Norris uses as moisturizer.

After this lethargic attempt at a swim, I will make time to hop in this evening for a right and proper thumping this evening. Off for some
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 2/8/12: evening

by , February 8th, 2012 at 08:15 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    400 RIM drill
    8 x 50 kick on :60
    - swam the breast

Swam over to the HIT lane and did the following from [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=259921&postcount=1"]Workout #1[/ame] with some alterations:
    Speed Sets:

5 x 100 + 50 EZ @ 3:00
    1 = 25 fast, build down to 50% + 50 EZ
    2 = 35 fast, build down to 50% + 50 EZ
    3 = 50 fast, build down to 50% + 50 EZ
    4 = 100 @ 90% + 50 EZ
    5 = 100 IM for time + 50 EZ

5 x 50 @ 1:00
    1 = smooth DPS
    2 = burst + cruise
    3 = 25 fast, 25 EZ
    4 = EZ
    5 = 50 fast @ 90%
    100 EZ

5 x 25 @ 1:00
    1 = smooth DPS
    2 = 6 strokes fast
    3 = 10 strokes fast
    4 = EZ
    5 = AFAP
    75 EZ

5 x 25 @ :45
    AFAP drag race from mid-pool w/race finish and cruise back
    Then I finished the night with:
    1 x Noah's Ark with paddles
    200 ez
    (solo/Rec/2950 yards/55 min)
    (total for day = 5000)
    ------------------------

Well, I did it - my first official "two-a-day" as a Master. It was quiet tonight in the pool, and I felt like some good speed stuff would be good for me at this time, and Fort's workout here looked good.

I went 1:02 on the fast 100, then went 1:09.00 on the IM. On the fast 50 I went 27.00, and on the fast 25 I went 12.94.

I am ready for some supper then off to bed. Might even shoot for two swims tomorrow, depending on how the day unfolds.

In other news, I am going to scratch the Valentine's meet in two weeks since my daughter's Chambers choir group is hosting a dinner/cabaret the same night. Obviously more important than going to a meet. I will pick up the two events I'll miss later in the spring (even though I will need swim the 400 IM as the front half of a 500 Free - the time won't be official, but I'll still get it in).

Updated February 8th, 2012 at 08:48 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 2/8/12: noon

by , February 8th, 2012 at 01:51 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u:
    200 FR/200 Back

2 x 200 FR Pull w/ buoy on 2:45 (2:20)
    2 x 150 BK Pull w/ buoy on 2:20 (2:05)
    4 x 100 FR Pull w/ buoy on ~ 1:30
    - Quarters strong, Kevin joined me on last two
    3 x 75 IM (no FR) on 1:20
    - Thirds strong
    1 min q-break into
    100 IM for time: 1:09.74

225 loosen and out
    (solo @ Rec/2050 yds/40 minutes)
    ------------------------

Got in for a lunchtime swim today, more of less to stretch out. The lane filled up to 5 during the time I was there, so intervals went out the window and I put more emphasis on effort. Happy with the IM time - haven't been under 1:10 in a week or so - still playing around with my breaststroke technique.

Hope to sneak back tonight for a swim as things around the house will be quiet.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Workout 2/5/12

by , February 5th, 2012 at 04:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

4 x (4 x 50)
    1: RIMO on :45
    2 + 3: Quarter's Stong FR on :45
    4: Kicking on :60

3 x 150 Third's Stong FR on 2:00
    - Pull all with Buoy

150 loosen and out
    (1800, 35 minutes)
    -------------------

Just a quick swim after church today before going to the nursing home service. I didn't want to go too hard and be sweating the whole time once I got to the study.

Tried to continue the theme of playing with speed and perceived effort. On the FR 50's I came in 33 on all, and then with the 150's I came in at 1:43.

Feels like the mid season doldrums, but I do have eleven 100IMs for time this year. Oh well, back at it next week, after I play the part of tonight for the Patriots!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 2/4/12

by , February 4th, 2012 at 01:43 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Team practice at Rec (scy)

w/u: 150 free then into the practice:

150 FR (build each 50)
    3 x 100 FR on 1:30 [held 1:07s]
    150 BK (build each 50)
    3 x 100 FR Pull with Buoy on 1:20 [held 1:12s]
    150 BK (build each 50)
    3 x 100 IM on 1:30 [1:12, :16, :19]
    150 BK (build each 50)
    Masters min (or two) rest

200 choice ez [I kicked]
    400 FR neg split [I did it: 2:21, then 2:18 - open turn at the 200 mark ]

50 ez
    ** Changed into new Yingfa suit for some 50 sprints off the block, with start instructions first (probably 2 minutes between each swim)
    - 50 FR: 24.6
    - 50 BK: 28.3
    - 50 Fly: 28.9

150 ez w/d
    (2600, 65 min)
    ------------------

I intended to swim the whole 90 minutes today, but Men's Breakfast this morning ran late. Actually, I ran late, but it was good as I haven't been able to talk to my buddy John in a while - his wife moved to FL and his daughter and family (including granddaughter) moved into his house. We might try to get some racket ball in soon - John was really a great help for me after I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior twelve years ago, and we share some of the same struggles in life. The other guys were fighting over doctrine, so we just talked - good stuff.

Anyways, I hopped into the pool on at the end of the first 100's in the main set, so started right in. Interesting changes with time and perceived effort for the swims, and I used the 150 builds to stretch out a bit and work SDK's off the wall (was up to 5 on all walls, so that is good for me).

I was happy with the 400 - I went out a strong pace then really cranked the last half. I was hoping to get in the 3 x 300 test set today, but that will have to wait for later in the week.

So I squeezed into my new suit - says size Large but it sure ain't "American Large!" Tim and James suggested I try it out in practice, and it felt like it was holding me higher in the surface. Really cool! For comparison, that is almost the same time in the free, and a second or two off in the back and fly from the WCWC meet two weeks ago. In practice. After a hard 400. Water temp 85. That's why those times got the banana.

Plans for today? I probably should swim again at lap swim, but I am going to hang around the house. My son's school is having a Soup and Sundae buffet to support the older kid's mission trip in the spring so we'll head there this afternoon. I had an ultra tax session yesterday and filed my taxes so I think I will work on my daughter's and my sister-in-law. Somehow I have been bestowed the title of "give Mike your w2's, he'll do them" around here - I really don't mind, and it helps out my family so it is all good.

Updated February 4th, 2012 at 02:14 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 02/03/12: the battle must be won

by , February 3rd, 2012 at 01:50 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

Go two times through:
    - 100 Kick
    - 4 x 100 FR Pull with buoy on 1:20

then ...
    -100 kick
    - 4 x 100 build a 100 fly (but I swam an IM on the last one - went 1:11.21).

1 x Noah's Ark pull with buoy
    100 w/d
    (2700 yards, 45 minutes)
    ------------------------

Well, that swim on Wed am did not happen - had a sleepless night before and hit snooze. It's been a busy three days at work, even with the warm temps here in VT - lots of ear aches and even some flu. Happy to have the weekend off.

Today's practice was not very motivated at all, and there were up to six people in the lane with me at times so I took it easy. I will be getting in good practice tomorrow with the team as we will get in a good workout the first hour, then run some sprints for the final 30 minutes. Should be fun!

Oh, did you guys catch this story? http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...-adorns-decals

Updated February 3rd, 2012 at 02:00 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts