View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Workout 12/27/12:

by , December 27th, 2012 at 09:10 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    First legit snow storm of the year started Wednesday night and continued through the day today. Was able to snap this picture of the house before firing up the snowblower:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grape winter.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	6917

Spent about an hour clearing out the driveway, then another little bit opening up after the town plowed me me. Got in the following swim before dinner:

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

Put on snorkel and ...
    - 50 flutter kick on 1:00 with board
    - 100 pull on 1:30 with agility paddles and pull buoy
    - 150 swim on 2:15 with agility paddles
    - 200 back with agility paddles (didn't use snorkel here, or course)

Two rounds of:
    6 x 50
    - 1: ez
    - 2-5: quarter's strong
    - 6: AFAP
    - go on next top
    (first round FR with snorkel on :45, second round back on :50)

1 x Noah's Ark pull
    1 x 100 float to finish
    (Solo/Rec/2800 yds/45 min)
    ---------------------------------

Nice stretch-out swim in with toys. Felt good to add in some longer yardage swims but also keep some intensity in there. I'm starting to look forward to ramping back into full swing with the swim training with the start of the new year. It has been nice not having crowded lanes, but I know that will change for a while in January.

After getting home, I shoveled some more for another 30 minutes. I might be a tad crazy, but I enjoy the winter weather and the outdoor activities that it brings. Even shoveling Last year we had some very small storms and it was quite warm, causing our winter season to be almost nonexistent. Looking forward to more time outside, off to find my snowshoes and wax up the old Burton.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 12/26/12:

by , December 26th, 2012 at 02:53 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Time to start working off some of the cookies/dinner/desserts that have filled my plate over the past few days:

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK

4 x (with snorkel and agility paddles)
    - 50 kick on 1:00
    - 100 swim on 1:30

2 x 100 Back on 1:30 with agility paddles

Then, since the pool cleared out and I had the time, I tackled a 1000 fly that I worked my way into from the Butterfly Lane. I have not done more than a 200 fly continuous in practice (or meet), so I signed up for this challenge, although I think I fell a tad short. I did:
    - 500 fly (8:03),
    - guzzled some water and stretched out until the next top and
    - 500 fly (7:59)
    (I did mostly DPS fly, with a lap or two of take a stroke and dolphin kick to the other end)

100 ez free with snorkel and agility paddles and out
    (Solo/Rec/2400 yds/45 min)
    -------------------------------------

The pool is back to regular temp (~85), and I was surprised at the lack of swimmers. Folks might still be traveling. I am proud to have swam that much fly all at once, next year I'll try to do a full 1000 without stopping if I lose my mind and think about doing it again. At least I can officially join the butternut crowd.

I had to make some alterations to my blog (remove my background photo from Peaks to Portland and change text color settings) with the new changes. I tried to reload my page, but it didn't help. Probably keep playing with settings to try to make the photo background work. I also had to change the settings for text entry as I was unable to comment with my phone. Went to the advanced (instead of cadilac) editor and now I can continue to chime in on conversations.

Updated December 26th, 2012 at 03:10 PM by rxleakem

Tags: butternut
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 12/22/12: Squad Meet

by , December 22nd, 2012 at 10:13 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Busy few days off for me, starting with the storms that moved through the area yesterday. It was super windy (lost some pieces of gutter and my compost bin blew across the yard) with power outages throughout the area. A huge tree fell over near the high school, cutting power to most of the downtown and crushing two cars, and a double rainbow also filled the sky:

The local paper has a story about it here. The Rec Center also lost power so no swimming for me, which was fine since I was helping my wife get prepared for our annual lasagne dinner with family around the Christmas holiday. Great night with good food and time spent with loved ones.

This morning, with snow lightly falling, the Rec was open again, but a sign greeted us at the door announcing the pool temperature at 75 degrees.
    With the power outage, the pool dropped about 10 degrees since Thursday. I had organized a squad meet with the local age group team as well as masters from nearby Williamstown, Ma, and we didn't let the colder water deter us. Well, one of our swimmers bailed and spent the whole morning in the sauna, but I enjoyed the cool water for a change. We again used the swim to gather nonperishable donations for the local food shelf as an "entry fee," a great way to branch into the community.

I joined the team in the water for quite literal warmups:

500 choice (I did 600)
    5 x 50 builds on 1:15
    1 x 100 FR strong (overkick odd lengths)

Then the racing began! Fourteen wees ones (and their three coaches) lined up with five of us from Bennington and our four new friends from Williamstown through the schedule of events below. I ended up swimming the 100 back (1.00.7), back in the Medley Relay, 100 free (53.7), and two legs on the 200 Free Relay to log 1225 yards. We also introduced the age groupers to the "cap relay," where the object is to get one member of the team into a standard latex cap and swim them to the other end of the pool - it was a blast!

A fun day, followed by a nap for me. We collected 25 pounds of food which will be a great help for our community. The plan is to start up training for the spring with the New Year, and I am thinking that I will actually be ready to start swimming in earnest by then again.
  4. Workout 12/18/12: am and pm

by , December 18th, 2012 at 09:39 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    This morning I hopped into a pool with 25% visibility and a roasting 86 degrees. Twice a year the chlorine element goes crazy, somehow causing the heater to malfunction and thereby causing cloudy bath water to swim through. Oh well ...

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

50 kick/100 FR hard
    100 kick/200 FR hard
    50 kick/100 FR hard
    (bases: kick = 2:00, swim = 1:30/hundred)

4 x 50 back quarter's strong

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1600 yds/30 min)
    ----------------------------
    It was hot, and I was not altogether motivated. The Rec may be closed over the next two days as they fix the issue. What'ch going do?

- In the afternoon I watched some of the high school meet. Heard afterwards that both the girls and boys won, but it was closer than they would have liked. The boys were decided in the last event, 4x50 FR relay. Our winning team was deeked for false start, their second place team was deeked for a swimmer not exiting the pool (was still in water after the next dude touched at the 50), so our B team, that finished third, actually won the event and the meet!

Back for the Masters workout tonight:

-500 choice warmup (did 600, with snorkel and agility paddles)

- 1 x 200 FR on 3:30 (did 250 with snorkel)
    - 4 x 50 kick on 1:15
    - 4 x 50 pull on 1:00

- 100 Non-free loosen

Speed play mountain:
    - 1 x 25 AFAP
    - 1 x 50 EZ
    - 1 x 50 AFAP
    - 2 x 50 EZ
    - 1 x 75 AFAP
    - 3 x 50 EZ
    - 1 x 100 FAST (did IM: 1:07.6)
    - 4 x 50 EZ (and out)
    (Masters/Rec/2100 yds/55 min)
    -------------------------

Our team plan is in taper mode, but only Greg was present tonight to endure the torture. The pool was considerably cooler (I think around 84) and visibility improved (I'd say around 70%). Had fun with the speed set, which I believe was from the Fortress' HIT workouts. I did it leading up to the BU meet, and really felt it was beneficial.

Now, time for some
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 12/13/12:

by , December 13th, 2012 at 02:24 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill wu
    6 x 100 kick on 2:00 (snorkel on free)
    6 x 100 on 1:30 with agility paddles)
    4 x 100 IG and out.
    (Solo/Rec/2200 yds/40 min)
    -------------------------

Not too motivated today, but wanted to stretch out again in the water. My quads are still sore from the 200 bk last weekend, maybe more basketball is the answer.
    In exciting news, Emma is done with fall quarter and coming home tonight on the train!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 12/12/12:

by , December 12th, 2012 at 09:24 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back to the pool after the meet this weekend - a nice recovery spin in the water.

12 x 100 with snorkel
    - 2 FR, 2 IM drill, 2 free w/u
    - 2 pull w/ buoy, 2 agility paddle, 2 Dolphin Dives in the Shallows

12 x 50 on 1:00 with agility paddles
    - 2 each IMO
    - 2 free
    - 2 back

12 x 50, done as three sets of:
    - 2 x 50 kick on 1:00
    - 2 x 50 swim (no stop) on 1:30
    -- Did Fr/BK/IM by round (100 IM = 1:09 low)

(Solo/Rec/2400 yds/40 min)
    --------------------------

Work has been a zoo the past two days with little help, and me working regular twelve hour shifts, but no lunch break and an extra hour each night to try to clean up. We should get back to full staff by next week, but I am pooped (especially coming off a weekend of racing).

Felt good to get into the water. Notice that I added some new toys to my swim bag. My buddy John from Maine sent me a pair as an early - thanks so much, John I was nervous about using them at first, being strapless and all, but I have been really working the EVF over the past year and the paddles stayed on even with stroke work. I notice some issues with the end of the pull in my stroke, so they will be beneficial in fixing these.

Other random things:

- Finalizing a duel meet with the local USAS team in a couple of weeks. Lots of swimmers on our masters team have never competed, and since our practice times are back to back on Saturdays we are going to take on the little ones. Should be a fun way to "experience" a meet for some of the newer adult swimmers.

- BU news: I was able to tie for 8th place in the men's high-point standings with Son from Maine (if James hadn't of convinced me to skip the 2fly, I could have potentially moved up to 5th ). I also passed the 250 mile mark/goal for the GTD
    Congratulations! You have achieved your goal for Go The Distance 2012
    My goal pace: 237.67 miles required as of today to reach my goal by the end of the event
    My actual current pace: 252.64 miles as of today
    - My eye sockets hurt from the "racing" optical goggles I wore over the weekend - my usual training pair provides much wider coverage and less pressure. Happy to change back to them, and might ditch the racers.

- Here is another picture from BU: my ginormous son Preston (aka: I'm never going to cut my bangs again), wife Lena, funny looking RX, and aunt Pat on the end:

Updated December 12th, 2012 at 10:14 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 12/7/12:

by , December 7th, 2012 at 11:16 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Not too sure this qualifies as a workout, but here goes:

Miguelito's mystery meet warm-up
    - without a few block sprint 25's
    (Solo/Rec/1400 yds/35 min)

Prepared for the meet - excited to race in a nice pool and see some folks I only run into a few times a year. So cool to be a part of the swimming community. I'm signed up for:

Saturday:
    #06 Men 100 IM
    #08 Men 200 Breast
    #12 Men 200 Back
    #18 Men 50 Fly
    #20 Men 200 Free

Sunday:
    #30 Men 400 Free
    #34 Men 100 Free
    #38 Men 50 Back
    #44 Men 200 Fly
    #48 Men 100 Back

Looks like I'll be done both days before 3pm, so that is very nice. Getting packed up today and ready to leave home tomorrow morning by 6:30 for the three hour drive to Boston. Weather is looking good for the weekend, so only one night in the big city.

For other folks swimming this weekend - go fast!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 12/5/12:

by , December 5th, 2012 at 07:32 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM

Go two times through:
    - 25 EZ, 25 Build, 50 DPS
    - 25 AFAP, 75 EZ
    - 75 EZ, 25 AFAP
    (one fr, one back)

4 x 25 Burst and Cruise on 1:15
    (fr, bk, fly, fr)

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1500 yds/35 min)
    ---------------------------

I put off swimming yesterday in order to join the Masters team in the evening. Got a call, after lap swim was over, telling me that the lifeguard went AWOL and no Masters practice.

So, no swim, but it was beautiful day yesterday, even with a little rain. I was able to reorganize the garage so that my wife's car will be protected by the snow. My van doesn't fit, so I just went though things, condensed and prepared for a Goodwill and recycle run. Now, off to work two 12's, then a quick swim on Friday before heading to Boston early Saturday morning
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 12/3/12:

by , December 3rd, 2012 at 10:58 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Intended to get up to swim this past Friday, but my alarm didn't work. Oh well, the extra hour of sleep might have been more beneficial in the long run.

Today:
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

Go three times through:
    - 50 DPS, :10 SR
    - 25 AFAP right into 25 EZ into
    - 100 Kick
    (did FR/BK/FR)

4 x 50 Burst and Cruise on 1:15 IMO

4 x 25 AFAP followed by 25 EZ
    - IMO of fast, float on EZ

100 even more EZ (if possible) and out
    (Solo/Rec/1700 yds/40 min)

Feeling good in the water. Out of it, my shoulders/back has been tight, so I was able to beg my wife for a massage in addition to rolling around on a tennis ball. My goal for the rest of the week is to not do anything stupid, which will be a stretch for me.

Went to Bible study after the swim, and passed out copies of a sermon from J. Vernon McGee that I listened to last weekend with my wife. Really great teaching from the book of Romans on "living the Christian life." If you have an interest in hearing it and 45 minutes to do so, I highly recommend checking it out: The Success of a Failure
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 11/29/12:

by , November 29th, 2012 at 04:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill

6 x 75 on 1:15
    - 1-4 = IM rotation strong
    - 5-6 = FR DPS

1 x 50 EZ
    8 x 50 FR on 1:10
    - odds = DPS/EZ speed, evens = AFAP

1 x 50 EZ
    8 x 50 BK on 1:10
    - odds = DPS/EZ speed, evens = AFAP

1 x 50 EZ
    - Impromptu turn clinic for some swimmers
    (Hey, I'm tapering and have the time...)

6 x 25 Burst and cruise on 1:00
    - IMO, then FR and BK to complete

3 x 50 Active Recovery
    (Solo/Rec/2300 yds/55 min)

On target with the taper plan that I penned out yesterday in preparation with NE champs next weekend. The 75's were to work strokes and transitions, then the 50's were taken from that Thorpe test set I did a while back. Rough add-ups were:
    FR: 27, 28, 27, 27 = 1:53
    BK: 32, 31, 31, 30 = 2:08

The plan is to get in for about 1900 yds tomorrow before work, but that depends on me getting up before work to do it. Otherwise, next week I'll drop from 1700 -> 1100 yds over 4 swims, then I'll be shipping off to Boston via car Saturday am if the weather is ok. Right now my wife and son are signed up as passengers, so it will be exciting for me to have company to blast some good tunes during the road trip

Updated November 29th, 2012 at 05:12 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 11/28/12:

by , November 28th, 2012 at 01:52 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

3 x 200 FR on 2:45 pull with buoy
    4 x 75 kick on 1:30

Fort Speed Set:
    Swim: Fins optional, pick your own interval for max rest or don't bother to look at the clock in between hard efforts

1 x 25 AFAP
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 50 AFAP
    2 x 50 EZ
    1 x 75 AFAP
    3 x 50 EZ
    1 x 100 @ 90%
    4 x 50 EZ
    5 x 50 BK on 1:10
    - 1 thru 4 = Quarter's Strong
    - 5 = FAST (went 30.x)

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2700 yds/50 min)

The last two days at work have been extremely busy - with the doctors off Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, then the weekend, we were getting pounded by new orders as the offices tried to clear out their backlogs, and patients that were coming in wondering why their orders weren't ready yet. Add to that the store remodel and the chaos that breeds ...

I was going back and forth about swimming for the next 10 days with the BU meet fast approaching (double today like normal, soft or hard transitstion into the taper, ). Made my mind up to start the taper today.

I found the main speed set from Fort's HIT week #15, and was going to do it twice (once free, once back), but didn't really have the time so just did free. I was able to crank out a :42 on the 75 and :59 on the 100, so I was happy. I did not use fins, but did take plenty of time before AFAP efforts. The BK set felt good; I have decided just to swim more and think less, so we'll see how that goes.

As for now, perhaps a nap. Or clean the garage up a bit. Nap's looking better and better

Updated February 15th, 2013 at 10:55 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 11/26/12:

by , November 26th, 2012 at 09:54 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill w/u

Do FOUR cycles of:
    - 50 kick on :55
    - 150 FR Pull on 2:00 with buoy

Do TWO cycles of:
    - 50 DPS Bk
    - 75 DPS Bk, 25 FAST Bk

50 EZ

4 x 25 Burst and cruise FR
    1x 50 EZ
    4 x 25 Burst and crusie IMO

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2100 yds/40 min)
    --------------------------------

Decided to get up early this morning in order to squeeze a swim in, but the Triathlon Train was not at the station. Probably good since it took me about twenty minutes to actually get out of bed. I was able to get in a good workout, mix of aerobic with some speed play, and get to work on time. Back in the pool on Wednesday...

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 11/24/12:

by , November 24th, 2012 at 08:56 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    8 x 50
    - odds = kick on :60
    - evens = pull on :50 with bouy
    1 x 50 EZ

Looking over my blog from last year, I found this fun set (courtesy of jaadams1), so I gave another swim at the Y meet set (see old entry for details):

200 Medley Relay - n/a
    200 Free - went 2:14.09 (1:16 rest)
    200 IM - went 2:39.19 (1:20 rest)
    50 Free - went 28.00 (1:02 rest)
    Diving goes here - n/a
    100 Fly - went 1:17.69 (1:12 rest)
    100 Free - went 1:01.12 (1:28 rest)
    500 Free - went 6:25.12 (1:05 rest)
    200 Free Relay - n/a
    100 Back - went 1:07.13 (1:22 rest)
    100 Breast - went 1:29.25
    400 Free Relay - n/a

1 x 50 EZ
    4 x 50 on :60
    - down = DPS, free, :05 SR
    - back = Stroke FAST (IMO)

250 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2900 yds/55 min)
    -----------------------------

For practice today, I was not altogether motivated and had fun with this set last year - thanks again for posting it, James. I though my times were awful as compared to last year, but I was faster today in most events. The 500 was shot as two kids decided to jump in the lane, "sprint" a few 50s, then leave, throwing off my concentration. I am super happy with the 100 back time - I played around with a slightly altered kick which helped with shoulder rotation - thing I might be closer to figuring this stroke out again.

Had a great group of folks in the water earlier today for Masters practice, eight in total. I am pretty stoked as a coach that every swimmer tried the Turducken, most at reduced yardages, but more proud that everyone swam fly today, including two gals brand new to organized swim practices. It's amazing how different masters are vs. kids - I gave very minimal directions and demonstrated technique from deck, and they were able to do legal fly!

I spent the afternoon putting up Christmas decorations outside as the the weather alternated between dark with spitting snow and then sunny with a biting wind. Mission accomplished, and I even had some help from my youngest cat when testing light bulbs:

I made up a nice chicken and broccoli divan recipe for supper (which I ate after swimming), and now am finishing up some brownies with oreos in the middle (picture to come, hopefully).

Two weeks to the NE SCM Champs meet at Boston University - still time to sign up and watch me partake in 3 gridges. Heck, offer one up with me, too! Up to 255 swimmers, Fort, with plenty of room for more to join in the fun at a great pool - entries close Mon, 12/03/12.
    Tags: y set
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 11/23/12:

by , November 23rd, 2012 at 08:27 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

10 x 100 as:
    - odds = Kick at 1:45
    - evens = FR at 1:30 Pull with buoy

1 x 50 EZ
    Now time for a seasonal treat courtesy of Swimsuit Addict

Did the whole thing again this year, including the kicking "dessert" at the end. There were a couple of college girls swimming when I first started, but both were out as I got halfway through the main feast. Again this year I have to say that the two 50 flys on the last rep are more daungthing than the two 100 flys in the beginning, due mostly to intensity level. During the kick set I just swam full chicken (breaststroke) in order to make the intervals.

Finished off with 200 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/3900 yds/70 minutes)
    ----------------------

Great way to get back into the swim of things after the holiday yesterday. Been a busy week so far - picked up Emma as planned on Tuesday night, then hit Red Robin (Yummm) on the way home for a late night meal. I worked on Wednesday, but Emma went shopping with me after work to pick up veggies and cheese for our appetizers contribution to a Thanksgiving feast at my brother's house. Able to catch up with a lot of relatives that I don't normally see and helped to reduce the amount of leftovers in the process. Watched some Thanksgiving cartoons with the kids when we got home.

This is my weekend off, so today I slept in and swam at lunchtime. I am not one for the crazy shopping early in the morning, even though KMart and Walmart here in town had *three* different sales, starting Thursday, Thursday night into Friday morning, then early today. That stuff really is for the birds! After swimming we did a quick raking/clean up outside and I retrieved the Christmas decorations to put up tomorrow. Finally, I went for what will be my last motorcycle ride of the year today, a nice hour-long jaunt while enjoying weather in the lower 50's.

Now off to find some leftover pie
    Tags: turducken
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 11/19/12:

by , November 19th, 2012 at 02:23 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Played basketball last night in the first time in over a month. Stayed for two hours, we had 12 guys so played 3 teams of four. Probably played a little over an hour total on court. My legs are sore, but functioning, however I was the recipient of a chop block to the right forearm and that smarts a bit. With the BU meet in a few weekends, no more bball for me until after the swim.

Today:
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

Repeat two times:
    2 x 200 pull w/ buoy
    -1st round= Fr @2:40 - went 2:31, 2:28
    -2nd round= Bk @3 - went 2:45, 2:41

4 x 50 kick on :55
    On next bottom, do ...
    1 x 400 FR GO!
    -1st round = 4:51
    -2nd round = 4:46

break with other swimmers

Repeat two times:
    - 4 x 75 IM on 1:15 (work walls, FAST last length)
    - 1 x 100 recovery kick

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3000 yds/65 min)
    ----------------------------
    Felt a little sluggish in the water today. Counting the meet last weekend, I was only wet three times, the last swim on Thursday, so that is to be expected. I've been using my chin-up bar daily and foam rolling more, so I think that helps to some extend in feeling ok in the water.

The goal with the main set was to swim a 400 faster than the add-up of the pulled 200's. The kicks served as a transition into the longer swim. I am happy with those times, as it kinda justifies my base at 1:20 per hundred for sets, and I really attempted to kick more during the swims than I usually do. I wanted to keep playing with my breaststroke so did the IM rotations.

I could have gotten in another 10-15 minutes of swimming, but decided to end where I was. A bit too beat up from bball to attempt some Quarter's Strong or burst/cruise efforts.

Tonight I will be able to head to Bible study, and tomorrow night after work we are picking my daughter up from the train station in Albany - first time I'll get to see her since dropping her off at school in September. Looking forward to a fun visit with her over the Thanksgiving holiday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 11/15/12: Preston's birthday

by , November 15th, 2012 at 05:35 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    00 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill w/u
    4 x 100 kick on 1:45

5 x 200 on 2:45
    - 1-2: FR pull with buoy
    - 3-4: 100 FR/100 BK pull with buoy
    - 5: IM - went 2:40

5 x 50 on :55
    - 1-4: Quarter's Strong
    - 5: FAST - went 26 high

Noah's Ark as loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2750 yds/50 min)
    ---------------------------------

Still feeling the effects of this head cold, which I am thankful has not moved to my chest. Have been able to catch up on rest, which is the most helpful thing for me, so I had a nice swim today with a little bit of speed play. I will be dry through the weekend, and plan to get back into the swim of things early next week before the holiday.

I signed up for the BU meet today. I split request the 800 during the 1500 last weekend so I don't have to travel to Boston on the Friday of the meet to swim it. I am planning to drive down in the morning and spend the night in the city. They offer all SCM events (except the 1500), and a max of 5 events per day. As is usually the case, I'll be swimming some back to back events, but after looking at last year's timeline and the number of entries so far this year, I should be able to get some rest between efforts. Last year 515 swimmers entered, and we are only at 142 right now, which bodes well for me to get more rest I decided to swim 5 a day, and here is my lineup:

6 Male 100 SCM IM 1:11.62 12/08/2012
    8 Male 200 SCM Breast 3:13.31 12/08/2012
    12 Male 200 SCM Back 2:24.82 12/08/2012
    18 Male 50 SCM Fly 0:31.20 12/08/2012
    20 Male 200 SCM Free 2:14.30 12/08/2012

30 Male 400 SCM Free 4:45.57 12/09/2012
    34 Male 100 SCM Free 1:00.43 12/09/2012
    38 Male 50 SCM Back 0:31.15 12/09/2012
    44 Male 200 SCM Fly 2:43.33 12/09/2012
    48 Male 100 SCM Back 1:07.75 12/09/2012

I have three gridges going at this point - 200 breast with Aztimm (looks like Stud will be on the DL for this), the parlay 400 FR with Jaadams1, That Guy, qbrain, and Aztimm, and the 50 back with Fortress Any other takers? Most know of my lack of fondness for the 2breast, but thought it would be fun to swim it with the guys and use it as an excuse to work my worst stroke for IM purposes. Fort beat me last year, so I will use that for motivation to come out this year (although she'll probably beat me again ).

Now, what about that 200 fly? It was a toss up between doing that again (and racking up more individual points since last year only one person in my age group swam it) or the 50 breast, which is right before the 100 back - I opted to loaf a 200 fly for points and get more rest for the backstroke. 1600 scm's of racing, three hours travel each way - and I have to be at work the next day for a 12 hour shift.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  17. Workout 11/13/12:

by , November 13th, 2012 at 09:39 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 fr/200 bK/200 IM Drill

Repeat 3 times:
    - 1 x 200 FR on 3:30
    - 2 x 100 FR on 1:55 pull with buoy
    - 1 x 100 FR on :10 SR into
    - 1 x 50 FAST!
    - Masters Minute and repeat

1 x 100 Kick on :20 SR
    2 x 50 Kick on :15 SR

4 x 50 Active Recovery on 1:10
    (Masters/Rec/2650 yds/55 min)
    -------------------------------

My very seldom opportunity to swim with the Masters team on Tuesday night happened today. I have been feeling the effects of this head cold since coming home from the meet on Sunday, and barely got through my long day yesterday (with the help of 12-hr Sudafed and lots of ginger ale). Swam the workout as written and enjoyed talking with GregJS, Steve, and Carol tonight.

So normally today is my long day at work, but I was invited to the state house by the VT Dept of Health Commissioner due to the work of the RX abuse task force that I am working with. The very low cost model for removing expired/unused/unwanted drugs from our community's homes through a mailing label initiative or by way of permanent drop-off at the Sheriff's office (either in person or by a deputy coming to your house to pick it up) was highlighted as one of four core standards that the state is trying to implement. Throughout the state different agencies are doing things to reduce the "social access" to medicines as well as reducing environmental damage by improperly disposed drugs. Neat that our work over the last two years might be picked up on a statewide level. Anyways, needed to be up for 6am for the 2.5 hours drive to attend the 8 hour meeting, and I made it back in time to practice.

Saw that jbs updated his splits from the meet Sunday, so I did the same here.

Pregunta del noche: What is the capital of Vermont? (Yes, Vermont is one of the 50 states )

Updated November 13th, 2012 at 10:30 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Workout 11/09/12:

by , November 9th, 2012 at 01:48 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    (Swam Wed before work - 1400 IG in 25 min)

Today:
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM

4 x 200 on 2:50
    - first 50 = IMO hard,
    - last 150 = DPS Fr

4 x 100 on 1:30
    - first 75 = DPS Fr
    - last 25 = RIMO fast

6 x 50
    - odd = kick with board on :60
    - even = burst and cruise on :50

2 x 50 Fr on 1:00 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2200 yds/35 min)
    --------------------------------

Wednesday was kinda a bust as far as swimming goes. Missed the Tri-train and basically got through some easy swimming, working the walls. The last three days at work have been brutal, so with stress up and sleep down, I have developed a little head cold. Starting using the NediPot again and taking some OTC stuff to function, but more or less trying to sleep more and rest (although I plan to catch some local music in town tonight).

Today I felt ok in the water. Planned to get some more stroke swimming in before the weekend and I accomplished that. After coaching the masters group tomorrow, I plan to head to Portland, ME, for the SCM meet Sunday. I'll stay the night with my kayaker and family - always a fun getaway. Signed up for the 400 IM, 200 Fly, 50 breast, 1500 FR (with 800 split request), so a full day. Can't remember if anyone counts for the 1500 - if not, I'll wing it. It'll be my first mile swim in the pool, so we'll see how it goes
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 11/06/12:

by , November 6th, 2012 at 11:50 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill

Go four times through w/ snorkel:
    - 100 FR on 1:25 DPS
    - 100 FR on 1:25 pull with buoy
    - 100 kick on 1:50 with board

4 x 100 IM on 1:30
    - Quarters Strong by 100
    - Went 1:16, :26, :24, :22

200 loosen and out

(Solo/Rec/2400 yds/45 min)
    ------------------------------

Woke up early and took my son to the polls this morning - showed him the ballot and then he went to check out the goodies and coffee that rewards us for voting. It was a crisp 17 degrees this morning. Got in for a swim and just looked to have a good "feel" in the water - mission accomplished.

Make sure to get out and vote today!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 11/05/12: noon

by , November 5th, 2012 at 02:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 100 Fr/100 Bk/200 IM drill

1650 FR with snorkel, done as:
    10 x 50 on :45
    5 x 100 flutter kick on 1:50 (w/ board)
    5 x 100 pull with buoy dropdown
    (1:30, :25, :20. :15, :10) <- just made it
    1 x 50 DPS on :60
    4 x 25 FAST on :30

4 x 50 stroke/drill on :60

Timed 400 IM: went 5:28
    1:15
    2:38 (1:23)
    4:17 (1:39)
    5:28 (1:11)

50 float
    100 IM = 1:14.87

150 loosen with snorkel
    4 x 25 with snorkel on :30
    50 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/3100 yds/55 min)

Had fun with a mile set - was able to get a solid :10sr with the swims and kicks, then descended the pull portion, just getting the last two in. Finally got that 400IM in - my goal was to have a strong 50 then build a 50 with each stroke. Too slow on the fly and back - need to stay relaxed during both of those and be efficient in order to keep my breath under control for some rocking Br pullouts. Not a bad practice time for me (of the four timed 4im's I've done, the Br leg today was the fastest - good news).

Started to spit snow a bit today here in VT ahead of the next storm coming up the East Coast, so I'll postpone outside work due more to the wind than anything. Also, I remember last year raking before the Riverton meet and tweaking my back, so I'll do that stuff next week.

There was basketball last night, but it started at 7pm and I was ready to relax after work and the first Sunday of the month nursing home service that I am able to lead. Took it easy and had a nice soak in the hot tub. The only other interesting news is that Emma will be able to see a speech from Bill Clinton tonight at UPenn - finally stumping before the big vote tomorrow. I heard him speak on NPR on the way home from Kingdom Swim this summer - good speaker. I just told Emma to pass on any offer to partake in a cigar

Updated November 5th, 2012 at 06:11 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 1650, 400 im
    Categories
    Swim Workouts