View RSS Feed

Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

1. Workout 07/29/12:

by , July 30th, 2012 at 12:42 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Weights with my son after work this afternoon, since the pool is closed and we have access to Off the Wall for no charge until the Rec reopens.

Rowing Machine: 15:05, 3167m
    Bench press: 3 x 8 reps
    Preacher curls: 3 x 8 reps

At home: pullups 6 x 3 reps
    Hot Tub: 15 min

Wife and daughter are safely in Kenya for two weeks of medical clinics. Apparently a group of monkeys are trying to get into their guest house rooms this week in Namanga, on the Tanzania border near Mt. Kilimanjaro. Praying without ceasing for the team and the people they will be helping.
  2. Workout 05/17/12: evening

by , May 17th, 2012 at 07:34 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)

Bench Press:
    1 x 3 x 48
    1 x 3 x 62
    3 x 3 x 86
    3 x 3 x 108
    * Had to use the exercise machine since the free weight was being used

Inverted Rows:
    I'll do 8 x 3 x body weight under the kitchen table tonight after the concert

Then for a quick swim:

200 FR/100 BK/100 BR drill
    4 x 100 Kick on 1:00
    2 x 100 FR DPS smooth on 1:30
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1100yds/15 min)
    ----------------------------
    Very quiet in the pool tonight - must be due to the beautiful weather outside. I work through the weekend, and (on cue) it is supposed to be gorgeous with temps in the mid-upper 70's and mostly sunshine. Good time to ride my bike to work! Oh, perhaps the drive-ins after work on Saturday?
  3. Workout 05/16/12: evening

by , May 16th, 2012 at 07:33 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Squats
    1 x 3 x 65
    1 x 3 x 75
    8 x 3 x 95

That was it.
    My hammies will be sore tomorrow as they barked a bit at me while waiting for the last two sets. I'll do upper body work with my cords tonight.

We're going to get food from our local Chippie tonight. Mushy peas for me! It's nice to have a taste of the White Cliffs just a few blocks from the house.
  4. Workout 05/14/12: noon

by , May 14th, 2012 at 04:31 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

Go two times through:
    - 100 Kick (middle 50 FAST) on 2:00
    - 100 Pull with buoy on 1:30
    - 4 x 50 build on :45
    - 100 Pull with buoy on 1:30
    - 100 Kick (middle 50 FAST) on 2:00
    ---- First rnd. FR
    ---- Second rnd. IM (+15 sr on Pulls)

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1900yds/35 min)

- back to Jazz Hand's Big Four ...
    Chin ups: did 42 in 15min test
    Shoulder press: 3 x 10 x 8#
    -------------------

Had a beautiful day for a motorcycle ride on Saturday to Great Barrington for the USMS coaches training, and ran into SwimStud while there - it was good to know someone and hang out all day. The level 1+2 courses were very informative and they feed us well (even the vegan cake was good - toss chocolate chips on anything and I'll eat it). My phone recorded this not so great image after the presentation:

Celebrated Mother's Day yesterday with the family and let my beloved choose the activities for the day. Took a nice ride to the mall and ate dinner out - a very relaxing and enjoyable day. Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms out there, including you ladies without kids that help to encourage those around you.

Swim today was good. I did not have a lot of time, so I just expanded my pre-set into a main set with the 50's. I was able to see GregJS in the pool at lunchtime, which was good. He made a copy of a video for breaststroke for me to watch (it works, Greg! Thanks!).

I got home and used the chin up bar device I bought yesterday to do a test set of sorts that Jazz suggested since I don't have access to a weight-assisted machine for these. For $15 bucks I couldn't go wrong, as I can do these at home now and don't feel as self-conscious about my lack of upper body stregth. Although the cats were staring at me, and I think laughing.

I also downed a dose of Accelerade, which I plan to use during the Kingdom Swim. Tolerated the orange flavor well. I plan to test out my maltodextrin mix tonight during a timed swim at the pool. Again, if I can get the nutrition part down I am confident I will be able to finish the 10 mile race, exclusive of the final time. I have been able to get a lot of info from the Matathon Swimmers forum that evmo started and lots of regulars here add to - check it out if you are serious about swimming an event 10k+.
  5. Workout 05/03/12:

by , May 3rd, 2012 at 08:49 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Got in for a long swim before a short trip to the weightroom. I had a message from JamesAdams about the main set he did last month that was a killer, so I used swiped it from his blog, with a few modifications ...

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill w/u
    12 x 50 Drill/Kick/Pull IM with :10 sr between each

1 x 300 FR pull with buoy (3:31)
    10 deep water bobs before ...

5 Rounds of:
    75 (50 Free, 25 Fly) @ 1:10/1:10/1:05/1:00/:55 by rounds
    75 (25 Free, 50 Fly) @ 1:20/1:15/1:10/1:05/1:00
    75 (all Fly).............@ 1:30/1:20/1:15/1:10/1:05
    75 (all Free) always @ 1:00 each round
    no rest between rounds...just stay on interval
    Then a long 400 loosen before getting out.
    (Solo/Rec/3400yds/65 minutes)
    ------------------------------
    I was able to keep all intervals, but did more one-armed fly then full fly. I did make a point to do a full 75 fly on the first and last rounds. James suggested that I could swap the stroke with back, but I figured that I'd just take the abuse and get a good workout. Great set, James!

After a quick shower I hit the weight room and did:
    Deadlifts:
    3 sets of 10, bar only (45#)

I am pretty sore after the swimming and lifting this week. Jazz suggested that I aim for 4 days of lifting instead of the 3 that I tired this week, and I have to agree that my body will like that idea a lot more.

I might get up in the morning for a swim before work, but I doubt it. This looks more appealing right now:
  6. Workout 05/02/12: evening

by , May 2nd, 2012 at 10:01 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I was able to get a motorcycle ride in before chaning the oil on my mower and cutting the lawn. My wife asked which "month" I am for the new Biker Babes calendar (notice my $700, 200k+ minivan in the background), and I told her May, of course.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0752.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	6829

Hit the weightroom before a quick swim tonight, and talked for a little bit with GregJS. I decided to mix squats with dips/bench press, and ended up doing the following:

Bench Press: (instead of dips)
    45# x 10
    55# x 10
    55# x 10

Squats:
    45# x 10
    55# x 10
    65# x 10

1 arm dumbbell row:
    10# x 10
    15# x 10
    15# x 10

Inverted Rows:*
    * I'll do these tonight under the dinning room table - 3 sets of 5

Then a quick change before Fifties with Fun. Maybe Fun with Fifties is better?

w/u: 150 FR/150 BK/100 drill
    6 x 50 kick on :60
    5 deep water bobs

2 x (4 x 50 FR fast on :45, 1 x 50 BK on :60)
    - hold 30 or better on the FR - made it!

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1300yds/25 minutes)
    ------------------------------
    Felt a little tight after the squats, but my upper body felt good. I again did not push the weights too much, just going through the motions. I plan to add my exercise bands in next week (probably 5 nights a week) and even start some yoga poses with my wife. I am not very flexible.

I thought I swam more, but I just can remember. Oh, nutrition note: I restarted the whey protein powder shakes with milk today after my swim workouts. Oh, web wise: After an "incident" Monday night (yet again), I decided to try making a meme, which I posted on the Swimming Memes facebook page. Proud to say that I have 12 likes and 1 share - although my kids say it doesn't make sense. Ever happen to you?

Last thought for the night - I'm over 100 miles for the year!
  7. Workout 04/30/12: Introduction to Mystery

by , April 30th, 2012 at 11:15 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Last night I played basketball at my son's school. He is not feeling well, so I went solo and joined 5 other guys in 3x3 halfcourt fun for 2 hours. Two observations:
    - I was able to comfortably descend stairs today, so I will limit my once weekly dabble to that time
    - I really suck at basketball, and it is less obvious when playing fullcourt because I am there for the running, and if I get an outlet pass I just pull up and wait for the team to come down. This helps to hide the fact that I can't shoot

Today I decided to go to Men's Bible study group a little late and hit the gym before a quick swim, in keeping with my plan to start up Jazz's lifting regimen.

- Rowing machine:
    8 minutes: held a 2:26/500m pace
    - Inclined shoulder press with dumbbells:
    5 x 10 x 10# each side (keeping true to starting light)
    - Chin-ups:
    3 x 3 x 194#

Then for a quick dip more or less to stretch out:

200 FR/200 BK
    3 x 100 Kick on 2:00
    4 x 100 FR pull with buoy on 1:30
    200 loosen
    (Solo/Rec/1300yds/20 minutes)
    ---------------------

I felt weird in the water after basketball and lifting, but on the upswing was able to descend the pulls (1:14, :12, :11, :09).

I'll be back at both the weights and swim on Wednesday. I can get to the weights 4 times this week, and will try 3 sessions next week to see how it feels. Men's group is taking a two week break, so I will be able to get in some quality swims on Monday night, when I am able to chat with GregJS a bit (looks like the lanes have thinned out a bit = bonus).

Updated May 1st, 2012 at 12:00 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  8. Shoulder stretching

by , February 4th, 2012 at 02:57 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I have been reading about my fellow fish and shoulder problems. The New England Masters folks sent this email after the Harvard meet last year:
    Paul Edelman, NEM member, suggested that NEM-E-News send everyone the link below on proper stretches for swimmers. His brother, George Edelman, wrote a great article on stretching in the January/February 2010 Swimmer Magazine. Both his article and the video link below might come as a surprise to many veteran swimmers. But this link to a video of the shoulder warm up protocol is the protocol endorsed by USA Swimming.

As early as Monday of this week I observed a very successful NEM member doing the stretches that are targetted for extinction in both the article and the USASwimming protocol, with a very distinguished coach looking on.

Habits die slowly, but hopefully all of us can take a very serious look at stretches that are likely to help, and deal with stretches that either may not work for the intended cause or may be harmful.

http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscA...57&ItemId=5179
    They note that it might take some getting used to, and I had to work up to them. Anyone else have some good links that we can check out?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12