View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Thanksgiving Haiku

by , November 24th, 2011 at 03:02 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    No swimming for me,
    Rec Center is closed today,
    Happy Thanksgiving.

Updated March 30th, 2012 at 10:29 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    NSR
  2. Workout 11/22/11

by , November 22nd, 2011 at 09:37 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u
    200 FR/200 BK
    9 x 50 kick on :60 (fr w/ board, back w/o, sdk, ...)
    50 EZ

5 x 200 Pull with buoy
    - 1-2 FR on 2:45 (held :30)
    - 3 BK on 3:00
    - 4-5 FR on 2:45 (:28, :26)

6 x 75 FR on 1:15
    - shuffle fast 25 end -> beginning 1->3

100 EZ and out
    (2450, 45 min)
    ----------

My arms felt sore today. Over the past two weeks I have been adding pushups (3 x 10) as well as exercise bands and some abd moves to help build some strength. Yesterday I also finished the raking of leaves, so I think being sore is to be expected.

I moved through the water well today. Lane count went from 2 ->5, then back to 3, so I really did not think I could get to hefty a workout going. Giving how I feel, this worked well for me today.

Happy trails, or sails, or wake to you all.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 11/21/11

by , November 21st, 2011 at 10:24 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

200 FR/200 BK w/u
    500 swim (25 dps/25 fast, 50/50, 75/75, 100/100)
    - swam the 75's back

Repeat 5 times:
    - 100 kick on 1:45 (avg'd 5 sr)
    - 100 Pull with buoy on 1:45
    - FR/BK/IM/FR/BK

100 EZ - skull/swim by 25

500 swim with Paddles (same as above, including BK on the 75's)

100 IM (went 1:23)

200 easy loosen w/d

(2800, 50 minutes)

------
    Felt a tad sluggish today, and went with some longer kick sets and a few 500's to keep moving. Focused on steady kicking and a strong pull through the water.

I was able to keep the pull set at a good clip - 1:09's for the Free and 1:16 for the back. I really didn't go too hard on the IM at the end. I was thinking of doing an IM set, did the 100, and figured that it was time to get out. Momma said there would be days like this ...

I went to a hockey game at Williams College on Sunday, and have been spending time converting old VHS tapes to DVD with the help of the VCR2PC device - I got mine on clearance at Staples last year after the holiday rush. Right now I am doing a bunch for my aunt, it's crazy what she was quoted for this service. I just run it when I am home so it is really easy.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 11/19/11 + 200 Miles!

by , November 19th, 2011 at 12:43 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Masters practice at Rec (scy)

w/u: 800 various

Back and Free stroke work with group (30 min)
    - 500 yds total

Ladder time:
    4 x 50 on :60
    3 x 100 on 1:20
    2 x 150 on 2:30
    1 x 200 on 3:00
    2 x 150 on 2:30
    3 x 100 on 1:20
    4 x 50 on :60

(added on another 3 x 50 on :60 as other group finished)

200 loosen w/d
    (3450 total, 90 minutes)
    -----

Always nice to get in with the team. I led the stroke work again today - might be doing so on a once a month basis. Saw some new folks at practice, and they all progressed with the drills and talks we had about the strokes. I made a copy of quicksilver's excellent [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=254199&postcount=226"]advice and picture[/ame] and shared it with the group - very helpful visual guide for proper backstroke technique.

On the ladder I kicked the 50's, pulled FR on the 100's (avg 1:09), did IM on the 150's (50 Fly and BK, 25 BR and Fr), and did the 200 as FR. I always enjoy working with the team as it gets me moving a bit quicker than my solo swims.

Added my workout today to my flog for the GTD totals and hit my season goal of 200 miles! Last year I logged 137 miles in my first year back in the pool, and I think that entering the longer open water swims this year pushed my totals up faster than expected. Of course, training for a 10K will do that! Time to adjust my goal (I'm thinking 230 miles will be a good test), but until then ...

Off to help out at the craft fair at my son's school, then perhaps a hockey game at Williams College tonight - no charge, cheap eats, and you can stand right behind the ice for all the up close action.

Updated November 19th, 2011 at 08:09 PM by rxleakem

Tags: gtd
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Riverton Results & Workout 11/18/11

by , November 18th, 2011 at 01:48 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    My goal to practice every day this week hit a road block last night due to my mental block - I missed Adult Swim time! Mon thru Wed the pm time is 6:15-7:30, and on Thursday it is 5-6:15. I showed up at 6:10 and saw all the swim team kids in the pool and knew I made a mistake.

Oh well, took it as a sign that a day off was in order ...
    -----------
    11/18 Solo at Rec (scy):

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK

2 x 500 swim with Paddles (continuous)
    - 25 DPS/25 fast, 50/50, 75/75, 100/100 FR
    - Repeat with back all all but the 75's

TWO TIMES Thru:
    - Start on :60
    - 4 x 50 kick on :50 (flutter with board, ok back w/o, dolphin, flutter)
    - Wait until the :45
    - 4 x 100 FR Pull with buoy on 1:20 (dec 1-4)
    - Wait until the :15
    - 4 x 50 swim fast (free/bk/free/bk)

10 Deep water Bobs

TWO TIMES Thru:
    - 100 FR swim (50 DPS, 50 fast) on 1:10
    - 50 ez (25 skull, 25 kick on back) on 1:20
    - 50 hard FLY
    - q-break til the top

200 ez and out
    (3600, 65 minutes)
    -------------
    Felt good today, and wanted to push some yardage. I see that James has adopted the q-break, so I figured I will too (us 200 BK guys need to stick together - haha).

I went for the long swim to start because I haven't used my paddles in a while and figure my strength needs some work. I made the kicks on the first set with 5 seconds to spare - I have really been working at adding kicking to my workout and going faster with it. I tried to descend the Pulls and did well - 1:14 -> 1:09 both times, thinking about long strong strokes and power through the bottom of the pull. I held :32's on the free and :35's on the back.

On the second set I was able to come in at 1:04 on both the 100s, ez feeling. The flys were 33, which is good for me.

Off to help out at my son's school today. My daughter is on a trip to NYC (MET Museum of Art, UN, 9/11 Memorial). Tomorrow I am going to help with a stroke clinic at Master's practice, probably 30 minutes of free and back work. Should be fun.

Attached are the results from the Riverton meet. I will have to break down the 200 FR, but it looks as crappy as it felt. I did a good job splitting the 100's, but hope to take them out a little faster in the future. Still trying to lay down more yards for the 2Bk at BU ...

Also, you can see me in the 100m FR at the Riverton Meet here: http://youtu.be/w-RnP2rd40s - I am in lane 2 at the top of the pool. My time of 1.00 converts to a high 53 in yards, and I was 52.6 during the spring, so I am really happy with that time at this point in the year.

Updated November 18th, 2011 at 06:50 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  6. Workout 11/16/11

by , November 16th, 2011 at 01:40 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill w/u

400 FR Pull with buoy

4 x 75 kick
    - 50 mod on :60 (~10 sr)
    - 25 fast on :30

5 x 125 on 2:00
    - 75 on 1:15 DPS
    - 50 on :45
    - Did FR/FR/BK/BK/Fly only on last 50

75 ez to get back to my water bottle

3 x 100 Kick on 2:15
    - FR/BK/dolphin

8 x 100 on 1:30
    - 75 on :60 (shuffle fast 25 from last -> first)
    - 25 fast IMO on :30

200 loosen and out
    (3300, 60 min)

--------
    I was feeling a tad sore today, so decided to get some longer sets on cruise mode, with some fast stuff added in. My shoulders were yelling at me on the Fly's - I believe that to be from doing it more in practice and going on day 6 of swimming without a rest day. I am going to take advantage of the week off from work and add yards for my GTD totals and to gear up for the 200 BK at BU.

I went to my men's Bible study for the first time in a few months - they changed the day from Monday -> Tuesday. Nice to get together with them. I probably won't meet up with them again until after the BU meet, but I will work through the study on my own. I have two devotionals that I also digest during the day, and then I listen to Through The Bible (ttb.org)with Dr. McGee every night. He goes through the Bible completely every 5 years, so I encourage anyone interested to hop on the "Bible Bus" with me.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 11/15/11

by , November 15th, 2011 at 04:50 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Happy birthday to my son, Preston, who turned 14 today.

Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u:
    - 400 RIM drill
    - 2 x 200 FR Pull with buoy on 2:45 (held 2:23)
    - 4 x 50 kick on :60 (fr, bk, sdk, bk)

Main set:
    - 4 x 50 FR on :45 (34 -> 32)
    - 4 x 100 FR on 1:30 (1:08 -> :05)
    - 3 x 50 Bk on :60 (went 33 on the last one)
    - 3 x 100 Bk on 1:45 (1:19 -> :14)
    - 2 x 50 IMO on :60 (fly/bk. br/fr)
    - 2 x 100 IM on 1:45 (1:18 on both)
    - 1 x 50 FR on :45 (32)
    - 1 x 100 FR on 1:30 (1:03)

w/d:
    - 200 IM drill/kick
    - 100 ez
    (2800, 50 min)

---------
    Felt strong again today. I found this workout in the spring on the forums and decided to pull it out. I worked on descending through the reps on each one, and did well at it again. The original workout called for Free on the 4x (1/2 min), then choice the rest of the way down the cliff (1:15/2 min), but I tweaked those up. I think I could have pushed the 50 BK a tad more, but enjoyed the rest at this point.

I finished getting the garage straightened up, tightened up the gutters on the house, and have a recycling run/Goodwill run set for tomorrow. Maybe a quick motorcycle ride if it is not raining?

Updated November 15th, 2011 at 08:06 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Workout 11/14/11

by , November 14th, 2011 at 09:14 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

200 FR/ 200 BK w/u
    2 x (3 x 50) kick on :55 (flutter with board, back without, then dolphin)
    300 Swim (descend by 100)

3 x through:
    - 50 Drill on :60
    - 50 DPS on :60
    - 50 FAST on :60
    - 50 Pull on :60
    - 3 x100 on 1:40 (descend 1>3)

Long various 400 w/d
    (2900, 50 minutes)
    ------------
    Feeling good after the meet yesterday (I had a really fun time, and happy to be back in a yard pool). Spent part of the day reading through forums and trying to figure out how to make the best for the BU meet in a month or so. My focus is going to be the 200 back, so I am taking James' advice (since he loves this event, hopefully beat his time in the process) and will be trying to get some more endurance stuff in the next couple of weeks. Also, Ande and Fort (among others) laud the "swim fast in practice" approach, so I am going to get faster in practice (a lesson that I learned from the meet - I need to push it more).

I modified a workout from mojo on her thread and saw where maybe a 300 theme (q-brain's post) might be good enough to help my 200, so went with that. I was going to use paddles on the full 300 and repeat it after the main set, but forgot my paddles and I just swam the one. I was also going to go 4 times through the main set, but I was late getting to the pool and the Aqua Zumba folks were piling in 15 minutes early. I decided I did not want to torpedo anyone tonight and got out before the lane lines did.

I did FR/FR/Bk on the main set, and recorded the following:
    - 28, :10/:09/:05
    - 28, :11/:09/:05
    - 34, :24/:19/:16
    (happy to go fast on the 50's, and for this first time in a long time descend all the 100's). I might be cheating a little, I went from crappy sdks to really working them on the 3rd time around.

I had some drylands this afternoon raking leaves for about an hour before it started to rain (and a few hours before my swim tonight). I have the week off so I hope to hit the pool everyday, a rarity. It'll be warm tomorrow so I'll try to finish up some things "before winter comes," then as the week gets colder focus inside at transferring the wine (finally done fermenting), three more batches of jelly, and "organizing" the computer room. Might even paint my daughter's room, which has been 1/2 done for a few weeks since the rush to complete college applications derailed decorating her room.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Riverton Meet (scm) 11/13/11

by , November 13th, 2011 at 10:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I made the trip up to Maine on Saturday to stay with friends and to swim at the 4th Annual Greater Portland Meet. My buddies live ten blocks from the pool, so it was a good reason to head up for a quick weekend.

An added bonus was a start and turn clinic held an hour before warmups, at no charge. Without having a full-fledged coach with our workout group, it was good to get a refresher on proper techniques, especially with the starts. I was able to work with Doug on the back start, and I think it helped a lot for the swim.

Clinic (we'll say distance = 200)
    ---
    Warm up:
    200 FR/ 200 BK
    3 x 50 kick (FR, BK, FL)
    4 x 50 swim, last 1/4 fast
    150 ez
    (900 total)

For the swims ...
    (100 ez swim)

100 Free: seed 59.95, swam 1:00.43 (29.40, 31.03)
    - Felt ok, but not as strong as the scy meets this spring. I was hoping to get under :60, but that was not to be. I was thinking more about really cranking on the next swim ...

(3 heats, 100 cool down swim)

100 Back: seed 1:11.55, swam 1:07.75 (34.80, 32.95)
    - Felt great! I was happy to have worked on the start before the meet, as I think the modest improvement from my usually dreadful one helped. I really worked the underwater sdk, even though I need to keep working it more. I went all out on the third lap and pushed it coming home. I'm interested in the splits, which I will post once I see them - took it out too slow, but I'm still very happy with this.

(5 heats, 100 ez)

200 Free: seed 2:15.15, swam 2:18.62 (31.22, 35.43, 36.32, 35.65)
    - I had a feeling this was not going to be good as my heart was still pumping from the back. I felt like I had no air, which is pointing out to me that I need to work more on training for the 200's.

(100 ez, and a nice break before heading into the sprints)

50 Back: seed 32.56, swam 31.18
    - Worked the start and underwaters again here. Felt very good.

(1 heat rest before ...)

50 Fly: seed 32.65, swam 31.02
    - Tired but the swim was a good one. My turn was slow, but I don't really practice fly much. My lungs were shot so I did not have great skd, but I was happy with the time.

100 easy warm down, and a four hour drive home.

-----------------

I had a great weekend in Maine, "the way life should be." The clinic was a great addition to the meet, and I was able to meet some great folks in the Portland area. It was easy to pick out jbs during warmups when he was describing the insane events he was swimming, and it was good to chat with him during the meet. An added bonus was the water and halloween candy hold-overs that we could munch on during the meet. I was able to get some coaching advice from Mike and Doug too.

Giving my lackluster week, I was really happy with these times. I have not swum scm since 1992, so I tried to pick seeds at where I wanted to be at this point. Since I am only going to get to two meets this "season," my philosophy is not to repeat any events, get some times, and then see what happens next year. My great experiment for the first "official" year back in the pool.

I made it home in time to join the family at the local "Empty Bowls" event in town. A $10 donation allows you to pick out a hand made bowl that volunteers make throughout the summer, then fill it up with over 10 varieties of soup donated by local restaurants, with some bread and them cookies for dessert. The proceeds benefit the food pantries and fuel fund in the Bennington area, so a great way to have a meal with friends and strangers plus help out many of those in our area that are struggling to get food or fuel into their homes. Especially after the damage that Irene brought.

Updated November 18th, 2011 at 07:31 PM by rxleakem (Adding results/splits)

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  10. Workout 11/12/11

by , November 12th, 2011 at 11:25 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    With Masters at Rec (scy)

400 RIM w/u

3 x 50 kick on 1 min

4 x 50 FR (last 1/4 AFAP, shift it through til the first)

200 stroke work with team

50 easy and out
    (1000, 20 min)
    --------

Decided to jump in for a quick swim this morning, and helped with some stroke work drills with the team. Still feeling a bit crummy, and not feeling like I am able to hold air well at all.

Off for the Riverton meet in a few. Have fun with all the meets this weekend, folks.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 11/11/11

by , November 11th, 2011 at 02:35 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Before I start - Happy Veteran's Day to all those out in the water that served our country. Thank you.

Solo at Rec (scy):

200 FR/200 bk W/U

5 x 200 on 3:15
    - First four: 50 Kick on :55, 50 build on :55, 100 Pull with buoy
    - Last one: 200 FR for time (2:16)

50 EZ

400 IM (25 drill, 25 swim, repeat, for each stroke)

3 x (3 x 50's FR) on :60
    - 1st - sprint last 12.5
    - 2nd - sprint third 12.5
    - 3rd - sprint second 12.5 and past flags after turn

50 EZ

250 w/d various swim/drills

(2600, 45 min)
    -----
    I went with my wife and son to the the Veteran's parade in town this morning - complete with the local National Guard and some Humvees, heros from the the Vet's Home, fire/rescue trucks, and my daughter twirling the baton as the high school band marched down the street.

Hit the Rec at lunch time, and only had two others swimming in the lane with me. With the extra extra time at work this week, and early swimming, I fell pretty crummy. I was able to sleep in this am, which was very refreshing, but I still am tired.

On the first set I did free/bk/fly/bk, and the 200 Free time was good given how I am feeling. I used the IM set as a filler, and then went fast on the 1/4 sprints with the last 50 set.

Heading to Portland this weekend. If my daughter works tomorrow, we will leave in the afternoon. If not, I might hop in for a quick swim with the Masters group on the morning and just head up on my own for a short weekend trip.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 11/09/11

by , November 9th, 2011 at 08:26 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

200 FR/200 BK/100 FL and 100 BR drill w/u

4 x 100 kick

500 Swim

200 w/d

(1700 total, 30 min) ----------

Another early morning swim with the pool packed. This am there were 4 tri's that were doing a workout, so I was able to find room for my swimming. Still no real intervals, just trying to stay out of the way of others and myself. I am feeling tired and didn't sleep well the last two nights, so just a quick swim before school drop-offs and work this am at 8.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 11/07/11

by , November 7th, 2011 at 01:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy) 200 FR/200 BK w/u

200 FR Pull with Buoy (2:15)
    8 x 50 kick
    200 FR Pull with Buoy (2:19)
    1 x 50 EZ
    4 x 100 IM
    1 x 50 EZ
    8 x 50 (25 drill, 25 sprint)

200 junk w/d

(2300, 45 min)
    -------------
    Nice to get back into the water for the first time since Thursday. I am picking up one twelve and one 4 hour shift this week, so I am working 8-8 M-Th, so the only time I can swim is 6-7:30. I don't enjoy getting up this early, so I got the pool a tad after 6:30 and found the crowd beat me there! I found that my turns were not very springy, so I focused on that today.

With the Riverton (Maine) meet coming up this weekend, I am making myself get up early to get some form of a workout in. As I was getting changed, my wife hollered in to the locker room to see if I was there - reminded me of my mom trying to hurry me out of the locker room when I was 8! haha

Good times. Fast times coming this weekend ...

Updated November 7th, 2011 at 10:48 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 11/3/11

by , November 3rd, 2011 at 07:06 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

200 FR/200 BK w/u

4 x 200 FR Pull with buoy 2:40

4 x 200 IMO continuous
    - 50 kick,50 drill, 50 kick, 50 drill

200 w/d

(2200, 35 min)
    -----------

I hopped into the pool at lunch time today for a short swim. I focused on shuffling a fast 50 through the swim (last one on first, 3rd on the 2nd, ect). I was able to hold 2:20-3 on all, and felt good.

The next set was more of a kick set than anything, with some drills for technique. I went on 3:30. My drylands consisted of cleaning out the garage this afternoon ...

I have signed up for the Greater Portland meet in two weeks, as well as the Saturday of the the NE scm champs at BU. Looking forward to some fast swimming before the new year and scy season starts up.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 11/2/11

by , November 2nd, 2011 at 10:04 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy) -

am:
    200 FR/200 BK w/u

500 FR Pull with buoy
    -25 DPS/25 fast,50/50, 75/75, 100/100

12 x 50 on (whenever I could through the crowd)
    2 x FR, BK, kick, kick, BR, FR

200 junkedy-junk through the masses w/d
    (1700, 30 min)

pm:
    100 FR w/u

Time ladder with the times a changing ...
    - 50 FR easy, into
    - 2 x 100 FR on 1:30
    - 2 x 100 BK on 1:40
    - 2 x 100 IM on 1:50
    - 2 x 50 kick on 1:00
    then head back down the staircase, friend ...

200 junk w/d
    (1900, ~38 min)
    ...(3600 yards, ~1 hr total for day)...

------
    So I did not swim on Monday, due to helping out at my son's school for their "alternative" to Halloween. It was a journey through the Old Testament, and provides candy for the youngings sweet teeth while keeping them from roaming the streets. I could have skipped out, but opted to help out instead. Fun night.

This am I got in and the pool was packed. When there were just four in the lane I jumped on the 500 pull, then as three more came in I just went to 50's and waited for an open space to crank them out (helping give technique pointers to folks asking about them).

I went into work on my day off to give flu shots in a store about 30 minutes away, and was treated to lunch. Bonus! After I got home and felt the sun still shining, I decided to go for a motorcycle ride. It was chilly, then downright cold over Petersburgh Pass (like, 25 degrees cold)! I made supper (taco night), and had to swim again tonight at adult swim so went for it.

I knew I would not have a lot of time so I went with the 100's. I was able to hold 1:04-6 on the FR on both sides of the mountain, 1:25 on the Back up and 1:15 on the Back down*, and 1:22 on the IM's. Kick was variable with FR ~44, BK ~42, and a fly ~47.

* So I have been asking for help with FEELING better during the backstroke. I was a good 10 seconds faster on the downslope, which I attribute to more SDK and a focus on the downbeat of my kick, which may well have fixed my poor hip rotation (due to tube that has grown around the middle of my abdomen). I'l keep working at this....
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 10/29/11

by , October 29th, 2011 at 01:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    With Masters team at Rec (scy)

200 FR/200 BK/100 FLY,100 BR drill/100 ez

4 x 200 on 3:35
    - 1: 50 FLY, 150 FR
    - 2: 50 BK, 150 FR
    - 3: 50 BR, 150 FR
    - 4: 200 IM

Break time: lead drills and streamline/turn work with team. 200 yards +, 25 minutes

500 swim

8 x 50 on :60 (choice - I did IMO)
    8 x 25 on :60 (choice - I did IMO)

100 w/d

(2900 yards+, 100 minutes)

-------------
    Had fun with the team today, and enjoyed helping with some mechanics and sharing some ideas about getting off the walls fast with a strong streamline.

I added extra 50's to the first set, but still had plenty of rest. I was able to swim the 500 in 6:04, which felt good given the extended time with stroke stuff. The 50's also felt good (28's), and the 25's were all out - saw the 12's on the FR.

We are expecting more snow tonight, perhaps up to 8 inches. Off to put some of the lawn stuff in the garage, and maybe head downtown to the Fallapaloza event (Main street is closed to traffic, live music, vendors, food) that is happening for the first time this year.

Updated October 30th, 2011 at 11:01 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 10/28/11

by , October 28th, 2011 at 04:06 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

200 FR/200 BK/100 FL and 100 BR drills

10 x 100 FR Pull with buoy on 1:20

50 ez

2 times through:
    - 3 x 75 kick on 1:30
    - 1 x 50 skull/25 kick on 1:30
    - 3 x 100 IM fast on 1:30

250 junk w/d

(3100 yards, 50 minutes)
    ----

First time in the water since Tuesday am, and I was not sure what I was actually in the mood to do. I was going to start with 4 x 100 after my warm-up, but the 4 people in the lane decreased to 2 so I just cranked out 10, holding 1:09-11's the whole way through.

The last set was to keep up with my goal of kicking more, and I threw some IM's in where I focused on turns and streamlines.

I'll practice with the masters team tomorrow, and have been asked to help to offer another segment of instruction during the practices for the next couple of months. It looks like the meet in Portland, ME, is on for 11/13, and then I will hit Saturday of the NEM SCM champs in Boston on 12/10 since I have to cover for my boss at work on that Sunday. Then scm will be over for me for the year, and I will look to hit scy in stride during the spring.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Snow!

by , October 27th, 2011 at 09:20 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    It won't last long, but we are getting our first snow of the year tonight. I found my snowshoes in the basement while getting wood pellets last night, and thinking about how much I love getting out in the snow. I will have to wait a few more weeks before we get a real chance to hit the mountains around town.

Updated March 30th, 2012 at 10:30 PM by rxleakem

Tags: snowshoes
    Categories
    NSR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0300.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	6769  
  19. Workout 10/25/11

by , October 25th, 2011 at 09:20 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill w/u

400 FR PULL with buoy

3 x (3 x 75) kick on ~2min
    - Alt FR, BK, FL

300 junk w/d

(2200 total, 45 min)
    ------
    I guess I can consider this swim a "two a day", as I swam last night and again this am. The pool was not as crowded , and circle swimming was actually moving along, well, quite swimmingly.

Since it is usually a bear to get quality sets in, I have designated Tues am as KICK day, because I am making a decision to work on my kicking. I have noticed, ever since the 10K swim in September, that I start to get a pain in my leg after a lot of kicking (right above my right hip, midline with my knee, that extends down to the upper part of my thigh, a six inch section). As I incorporate more kicking into my workouts, it takes longer to develop, but is still a bummer.

Off to work for the day, in early again to give flu shots. Teachers are still on strike in Bennington - getting old ... I fault the school boards and the teacher's union for acting like babies and doing this after school started for the year - kids now have to make up days on holidays and Saturdays.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 10/24/11

by , October 24th, 2011 at 09:30 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

200 FR/200 BK w/u

5 x 200 pull:
    - Odds FR on 2:40
    - Evens IM on 3:00

2 times through:
    - 4 x 75 on 1:15 (first time FR, second time BK)
    - 200 kick RIMO on 4:00

800 Paddle swim
    - 200 Fr, 100 BK (50 DPS/50 Fast)

150 junk w/d
    (3350 total, 50 minutes)
    -----------
    Had a busy weekend at work, so I was happy to get into the water tonight. I had the day off, worked on some bills then got in a motorcycle ride before eating supper with the family. Then off to practice ...

I fell into the 1000 theme tonight. The pulls felt good, and I was able to hold 2:30-3 on the Frees. I needed an extra 5 seconds after the second IM since I am slow.

For the 75's, I swam the first as DPS and streamline work, then on the next three I went Fast on the 3rd 25, 2nd 25, 1st 25 while trying to keep the streamlines working. For the Backstroke, I was just trying to get enough rest, and ended up getting 10 second at least on each. I have been trying to speed up my arms when they are out of the water, otherwise I am too low in the water and my hips don't roll enough.

Paddles were used to focus on catch and pull, and I would have made that a 1000 it if was not for the Aqua Zumba class pushing into the pool. I was on my last 50, trying to SDK a 25, and ran into one of the ladies. I apologized even though I didn't really do anything wrong, the group just dashed into the pool after the lifeguard took out the lines. So I am stuck with 3350 instead of 3400 tonight.

Now for some ice cream as I juice up some more grapes. I can't complain for the bumper crop this year, but my wife is growing impatient with my takeover of the kitchen with canning supplies and the big 6 gallon jug of wine. The fruits of our labors ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts