View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Workout 12/28/11

by , December 28th, 2011 at 09:06 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy): Pool temp = 85

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK
    3x100 Kick on 2:00 (FR/BK/SDK)

go two times through:
    - 4 x 100 on 1:20
    - odd = FR, even = IM (1st time)(BK 2nd)
    - 40 second q-break
    - 2 x 200 FR PULL with buoy on 2:40
    - 1 x 200 IM on 3:00
    - 40 second q-break

100 ez

8 x 25 on :30
    - odds FR DPS
    - evens IMO FAST

200 various w/d
    (3200, 55 min)
    ------------

Happy to be back in the water today. My sinuses are still pretty plugged up, but I am feeling much better and decided to use a workout based on the one from kiefer.com for tonight.

I was able to keep the kicks in the 1:35 range, so my legs are coming back. On the main set, the warm water started to get to me quickly.
    -The first time through I averaged 1:08's on the frees and 1:18 on the IM's. I pulled 2:26, :25, and did the IM on 2:50.
    - The second time through I went 1:05 and 1:08 on the Frees, held 1:15 on the backs, pulled a 2:23 and 2:26 before a generous 2:55 on in the IM.

After a quick loosen, I tackled the 25's. I swam all the odd frees at :15. My paired times for the IMO were: Fly (:15,:16), Back (:16,:14), Breast (:21,:22), Free (:14.5, :13.8).

A nice variety here. I have been poking around and will be trying some of the LT sets that Q is doing (to add to the breaks I've already implemented) starting next month. I have been working some more IM/strokes into the practices to try to improve these events this year, as I take my first crack ever at 2fly and 4IM. I have completed my first "official" year of swimming since high school, and have a notion to try every event at least once (even the 2breast, which will no doubt cause me to ) because I am sooooo slow) during the upcoming year.

Now to start the search for meets before NE champs in mid-March, and do some more leg work to hold a meet at my home pool sometime in April.
    Tags: kiefer
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 12/26/11

by , December 26th, 2011 at 09:30 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK

4 x 50 on :45 DPS Free
    6 x 50 on :45
    - Odd free, Even Back

9 x 50 Kick on :60
    - Free with boad, back w/o, fly on side

50 EZ

Repeat four times:
    - 200 Pull with buoy (descend pairs)
    - 50 Fly swim
    -> 1-2 Back, 3-4 Free

4 x 100 Quarter's Strong FR on 1:20
    -- well, side cramp on the last length on # 2, so I added an ez 50 (only 250 total)

Long ez 350 w/d
    (3000, 55 minutes)
    ---------

Still feeling better, slowly, with increased appetite from the infection that has been hampering my efforts. I didn't want to go super hard today, just strong with some increased yardage. I held :33-6 for the first 10 50's, and noticed that as the kick set progressed my times dropped, which was nice.

On the 200's I pulled 2:40 then 2:31 on the back, and I had hoped to descend the free more but pulled 2:21 and 2:19. Probably took out the first of that pair too fast. The flys held stead at :33. On the Quarter's I went 1:09 on the first, but that cramp took the wind out of my sails for the rest of the night since I did not feel any better after the ez 50.

We had a great Christmas in our home. Our big family party was excellent - lots of conversation paired with the good food. Plenty of cookies left over, and I was able to not get my wife to send them home with other people - success! On Saturday I lead a Christmas Eve service at the local nursing home in town where I bring a message the first Sunday of every month - lots of good caroling there with the group.

After that I went to church for our Candlelight service, then made cheese popovers at home for the family after my daughter got out of work. Christmas day was quiet, with older kids and dad sleeping in until 9. Then we just munched on leftovers and watched Christmas movies after we opened gifts.

For the rest of the week... I will plan to get in workouts on Wed and Thurs (maybe Fri am before work if I'm super motivated), then stay dry until next week. Keep adding to those GTD logs, you poly-wogs!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 12/23/11

by , December 23rd, 2011 at 04:57 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

Go two times through:
    - 500 FR Pull Buoy
    - 100 Kick, 200 IM, 200 Kick

300 easy w/d

(2700, 50 min)
    --------------

I still am not feeling much better than my last time in the water: sinus congestion persists, but (as far as I know) no adverse effects from the Neti-pot. Anyhow, I needed to get into the water today since the pool is closed for the weekend. At least I have started to eat a bit more as the week progressed.

I continued my swimming theme of longer sets without super high intensity or defined times. I worked to descend the 500's by 100, and I came in mid-6:20. The kicks and IM's were not super fast, and I was able to chat with buddy on the last 200 kick.

I spent the day getting ready for the annual Leake Christmas party this night for our siblings and nephews/nieces. Lasagna is the main offering, and my son and I worked side by side to prepare the meat and veggie varieties for the evening. Others will bring some sides and deserts, then we will open some gifts to close out the night. It works well for us, as we get to gather together and watch the wee ones open some gifts, then enjoy a quiet Christmas morn at home.

It is a tradition that we started 15 years ago, when our families were much smaller, and have kept it going. We'll have an extra seat at the table should anyone be in the area.

Updated December 23rd, 2011 at 05:12 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 12/19/11

by , December 19th, 2011 at 09:39 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill

10 x 50 on :50
    - #5/10 BK

5 x 50 Kick on :60
    - FR with board, BK w/o, SDK, FR, BK

2 x Noah's Ark PULL WITH BUOY on 7:00
    - 1st one all FR
    - 2nd one all BK

200 w/d and out

(2550, 45 min)
    -----------

Feeling crummy all weekend - started to get the head cold going around on Friday and I tried to sleep a lot and eat a little as the endless streams of snot drained from my head. Gross, I know.

Feeling better today, not so tired but still some sinus pressure. Wanted to get in a good workout without anything super difficult. This was a nice compromise. I wasn't really concerned on times, but came in around :37 on the 50's.

I did time the Noah's Arks' with my Speedo finger stopwatch/lap counter thingy ...
    - FR was 6:13.00 (fastest 50= 34.87, avg 50= 37.30, 200= 2:28.21)
    - BK was 6:54.00 (fastest 50= 37.10, avg 50= 41.40, 200= 2:44.71)

A question for your forumites out there: anyone have success with the Neti-Pot sinus cleanser system? My brother tried it and inhaled/swallowed a dose of the saline/mucous that he was supposed to drain out, so he was not very supportive of me trying it.

Updated December 20th, 2011 at 12:38 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 12/16/11

by , December 16th, 2011 at 03:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

funkyfish 1000 pyramid base as follows:
    50 Kick on :60 (flutter with board)
    100 IM on 1:30
    200 Back on 3:00
    300 Pull with buoy on 4:00
    then back down the way you got up

10 x 50 FR on :45
    - 25 drill/25 swim

300 w/d and out
    (2200 yds, 35 min)
    --------

Woke up today with a sore throat and feeling a tad crummy. Probably from swimming every day this week, a change from my usual 3-4 days per week schedule. I wanted something longer, and went with one of funky's ideas, adding some stroke-work in.

I tried to descend on the way down, so my times for the pairs were: 44/46 (missed on the kick), 1:17/1:16 (by the hair on my chin), 2:39/2:33 (nice!), and I pulled the 300 at the u-turn at 3:38. All in all it felt good.

Looking at the clock, and not wanting to do it a second time (lasy, I know), I decided on some 50's free with drills. I came in just on :40 on all, so not a lot of rest. The idea was to drill the first half, then increase turnover (~85%) on the way back thinking about the drill.

Back to work tomorrow. I am still planning to watch (part of) the high school swim meet this afternoon. 20 years ago we didn't have a school team, just the town team. Now the kids can swim on both teams since the coach's collaborate. Some of the kids are my daughter's friends, and after hearing that they were told to sprint a 100 Fr from start to finish I need to check out what's going down. *creepy guy with stopwatch taking splits for kids that aren't his*

Updated December 27th, 2011 at 12:15 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 12/15/11

by , December 15th, 2011 at 08:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

** I used the [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=256365&postcount=1"]Wed, 12/14, workout from Mojo Flyer[/ame] in the workout section of forum. I modified the times a tad, but it was a great mix of shorter distance stuff with some long pulls that sounded good to me. **

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK
    12 x 50 on 1:00 25 Kick/25 Swim

Go Four times around:
    1 x 75 on 1:15 Free
    3 x 25 on :30 Stroke Fast (IMO)
    1 x 75 on 1:30 Stroke Choice Fast (Fly/BK/BK/Fly)

1 x 100 on 2:00 Easy Free
    4 x 225 on 3:00 Pull Free (3rd one BK) with buoy
    2 x 50 on 1:00 25 Back 25 Swim

250 w/d
    (3250 yd, 55 min)
    -------

It has been nice getting into the water every day this week so far. I am still a tad sore from my drylands yesterday at lunch, and was looking for some shorter yardage sets with stroke to change things up. Kris' post from this week hit the spot.

On the first set (which called for six rounds), I used the 75 free as DPS, and later to stretch out from the fast previous set. Held 50's on these. I then swam IMO on the 25's, and worked the stroke 75's - I have been trying to sneak more fly and back into my workouts since the Turducken feast last month.

I shortened the time on the pull set, and hit around 2:40 on the FR and 2:53 on the Back - I did take a 15 second q-break before the last pull. I thought about finishing the strokes long and strong. I could only get in 2 x 50 at the end before warming down. (I have been doing 100 of the w/d as 25 skull on back, feet first, 25 underwater SDK, usually to flag; repeat)

I think that I will do some technique/drill work tomorrow with some longer swims (might try one of funkyfish's grand pyramids) before watching the high school meet, then I am back to work for the weekend. It's been nice to have the weekdays off. I have juice for 3 more rounds of grape jelly that I have been procrastinating about finishing, probably do that tonight before I pick my daughter up from work.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Workout 12/14/11

by , December 14th, 2011 at 10:06 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/ 200 IM drill

Go four times through:
    - 3 x 100 FR Pull with buoy (odd set 1:30, even set 1:20)
    - 1 x 100 BK Pull with buoy (same interval as above)
    - 2 x 50 Kick on :60
    - hit the repeater

200 IM drill

300 warmdown
    (3100, 55 minutes)
    ---------------

I am feeling sore from last night's squad meet, especially around my ribs. I checked in at the food pantry to drop of the donations on my way to swim at lunchtime, and I was told that they had a truck about to arrive, soo .... skipped a lunch time swim and spent 1.5 hours moving food from the truck to the shelves. A nice, unexpected appointment to have happen today.

I went over to the pool tonight and focused on pulling: high underwater elbows on the longer time intervals, and a faster turnover on the shorter ones. I was able to keep the free pulls at/under 1:10 on all (avg'd 1:08), and the four backstrokes at 1:15. Ideally I would try to drop the interval on the kicking, but my legs were shot from the pantry work.

Now, time for
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Squad Meet: 12/13/11

by , December 13th, 2011 at 11:05 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Here is the lineup from the Squad Meet I organized with our workout group tonight (I got the idea from a discussion thread in the forum):
    What: First Ever Bennington Masters Squad Meet
    Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2011
    Time: Warmups start at 7:30 pm, Event starts at 7:50 pm

The only way to improve swimming is to swim! Getting times on your events is a good way to keep track of your progress. SoÖcome join our water-loving group for this fun, low-key swimming opportunity open to any adult swimmers. All events will be mixed heats of men and women. Block starting is optional. We will all be cheerleaders unless we are being cheered for. Non-swimming friends can come watch and be timers. Entry fee is a single can of canned food for donation to the food shelf.

1. Mixed 25 Free
    2. Mixed 50 Backstroke
    3. Mixed 25 Butterfly & Breaststroke
    4. Mixed 200 Free Relay
    5. Mixed 100 IM
    6. Mixed 100 Free
    7. Mixed 25 Backstroke
    8. Mixed 50 Free
    9. Mixed 100 Free Relay

The Squad Meet is sponsored by the Bennington Area Masters Swim Club. The Masters Swim Club is free (with Rec Center membership) and open to any adult lap swimmer. Regular practice times are Saturday from 10:15 to 11:45 am and Tuesday from 7:30 to 8:30 pm and usually include two skill level workouts. Stroke clinics will be held on Saturday mornings during the winter months.

We had the core group of five in the group come out, with some other lap swimmers and age group swim parents for a total of 12. I was really happy about the turn out, even though I was hoping for fifteen.

Entry fee was a donation to the local food shelf, and we have a total of 45 pounds of food and $5! Very happy about that - great to be able to help out the community!

I got in a short warmup (200 yds) and then mc'd the night, timed, and swam. 50 back (28.38), 100 IM (1:07.68), 100 Free (58.57), and the two relays. It was great to see other folks come out, even Rich, who is new to swimming and rocked a 100 free! There were some previous age group and college swimmers, and we all had a lot of fun.

So I'll add another 575yds to my flog (swam down to get the lane lines out) and plan to do this again in February (with few events, because we ran just a tad over).

Tags: squad meet
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 12/13/11

by , December 13th, 2011 at 03:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u: 200 FR/200 Back

Repeat three times:
    - 300 FR Pull with buoy on 4:00
    - 200 IM on 3:00
    - 100 kick on 2:00
    - 50 DPS stroke on 1:00
    - 2 x 25 stroke on :30

200 loosen and out
    (2700, 45 min)
    ------

Not too much excitement here today with the swim. Went 3:35/:38/:31 with the pulls (really worked that last one), held the IM's around 2:45, got at least 15 sr with kicks, did IMO on the 50's, and did non-free with the 25's.

Tonight is our squad meet that I organized. I'll blog about that a little later (if anyone is in southern Vermont around 7:30 tonight, hit me up). Before that I will sneak off to see some of my daughter's choir performance.

I had some extra vacation days that need to be used up before the end of the year, so I only have to work the weekend. Been transferring old VHS tapes to dvd as I try not to get into too much trouble around the house. Will start to organized the bills/mail/etc and maybe put a small section of gutter above the front porch (it's in the low 30's today so not horribly cold). I have to clean the pellet stove too ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 12/12/11

by , December 12th, 2011 at 11:18 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/100 Fly drill/100 BR drill

4 x 100 on 1:40
    - DPS - FR/FR/BK/FR

4 x 100 kick on 1:50
    - Flutter with board, back, fly, flutter with board

5 x 200 FR Pull with buoy on 2:45

50 ez
    8 x 50 on :50 IMO
    50 ez

200 various warm down (had two lengths underwater sdk on back in there)

(3100 yards, 55 minutes)
    -------

My arms felt tight tonight post meet from Saturday. Yesterday I had to work and didn't get in the water - bet I would feel a little better today if I had. I was not quite sure on what to do today at practice, and I was not in the mood for super long/repeater sets, so I picked a little of everything to get back to the grindstone (that taper sure was nice, though).

I am still putting a lot of effort into improving my kick, and held the 100's around 1:35. Will start to increase the yardage on kick sets so I can stay strong for the 200's. I felt good on the pull set as I tried to work on DPS and tight streamlines. I went 2:23/25/26/28/24. Into the 50's I went, not really super fast but more to work on strokes - hit around :35 on all but the dreaded BR (just made :50).

I had a really great time this weekend at BU. I am very excited about my swims and can build into the NE champs in March with ideas from the races that I need to improve on. It is nice to know that we have some really competitive action happening here in NE, and it was great for me to meet up with more folks from the forums and others that I have met along the way.

As I mentioned in my last post, everyone seems happy to share wisdom and pointers to satisfy my inquiring mind, especially since this is my first official year back in the pool after 15 years off. A lot has changed, and I can't remember most of what I learned when I coached our town team for a few years after high school, so I like to think of everyone that is so passionate about the sport of swimming as my coaches. Muchas gracias!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 12/09/11: Pre Meet

by , December 9th, 2011 at 02:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u
    200 FR/200 BK/200 IM Drill

4 x 50 Pull with buoy on 15 SR
    - 25 DPS, 25 high rate arm strokes
    - alt free and back

2 x (on 3:00)
    - 50 sprint from push
    - 100 ez

100 skull/5th stroke by 25
    100 Drills

200 keep it loose and out

(1400, 25 min)
    -----------------

I felt really good in the water today. My goal was to get in, stretch out, and get ready for the meet tomorrow at BU. We had 2" of wet and heavy snow fall into Thursday morning, so I was careful while shoveling.

My times for the fast 50's were 25.9 on the free and 29.1 on the back. Both felt good, and I aimed for a tad higher stroke rate than I usually swim, so I am very happy with these times.

As for the meet, I am signed up for the 400 FR, 100 IM, 50 Free, 200 Back. All on Saturday since I need to work on Sunday for my boss. Remember that my goal for this year is to get times, as it is my first time back in the water competing in 15 years.

The former two events are first thing in the morning. I am a little worried I may not make sign-ins for the the 400 FR at 9:15am. I'll leave the house around 6am and if I miss the 400, I won't be devastated. I'd like to go mid 4:50's. The IM is also another filler, as I wanted to feel like I was getting my money's worth with the entry fee, so I will try to better my converted time of 1;14.

I will have a few hours to rest (maybe take a short nap), then the 50 FR and 200 BK. Looking that the event rankings for this year, I think I have a shot to knock James out of the TT and I'd like to go under 2:25. (I went 1:07 in the 1bk in Portland, so I have a shot if I split the race well - I'm going to really work the underwaters the first 100, then try to hold on for the last 100. I know that my lungs will be shot, but I'm going to give it my all)

Early night for me, likely my daughter (who is looking at BU for school in the fall and has friends there this year) and maybe my son will join me for the trip. My wife is gearing up for the Harvard meet in the spring - haha. I am really excited meet some more of the folks on the forum tomorrow. Safe travels to all this weekend (seems like a lot of meets happening all around the country).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 12/07/11

by , December 7th, 2011 at 11:34 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

Stretch day before work this am

200 fr/200 back

2 x100 pull with buoy
    - 25 dps, 50 fast arm rate, 25 ez

2 x 100 kick (fr and back)

200 wd various

(1000, 20 min)

---

Got up early and battled the crowds to just stay wet. Shoulders still a little tight, but I had a good feel for the water.

Updated December 7th, 2011 at 02:50 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Workout 12/06/11

by , December 6th, 2011 at 11:23 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

Wu:
    200 fr/200 bk/200 im drill
    500 Noah's Ark pull with buoy
    50 ez

Three times thru:
    - 50 dps :10 sr
    - 25 sprint into
    - 25 ez into
    -100 kick

4 x 50 quarters strong free

250 various wd

(2200 yds/40 min)

------

Still dropping yardage and adding more fast swims for this week. May try to swim tomorrow before work, depending on how I'm feeling.

Wore my drag suit today and felt good. Did free, back,im on the main set, trying to dodge the other five people in the lane - very busy tonight, probably due to the wet day here.

Ate lunch at my son's school, then was able to swim before supper and Bible study tonight. I was able to get some forms filled out at my daughter's school for being a chaperone, so all in all a productive day off.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Workout 12/05/11

by , December 5th, 2011 at 10:42 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK
    6 x 100 Kick (flutter, back, sdk)

500 Noah's Ark Pull with buoy

2 each (one FR, one BK) of:
    - 25 fast arms (spin) + 75 ez
    - 75 DPS, 25 sprint
    - 25 ez, 25 build, 50 DPS

200 various w/d

(2300, 40 min)
    ------

Back into the water after a long weekend off. My shoulders feel a tad tight, and I wanted to get a decent workout in despite 7 people in the lane when I arrived at adult swim this am. It would have been better if the one dude doing side stroke would used the side of the lane, not the middle the whole time. Oh well ...

I had a busy weekend. My wife sold most of our jelly stock at a Christmas Bazaar (half of the profits go to the local Christian school, the other half to the medical mission program I am involved with) on Saturday. Sunday after work I went to a local nursing home and led the worship service (first Sunday of the month), then my son and I gave a presentation at church about our trip to Nicaragua in May. See if this link to photos from my fb page works if you want to check it out.

Have a great day ... Been fun checking out results from the weekend's swims.
    Tags: gho, nicaragua
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 12/01/11

by , December 1st, 2011 at 07:46 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK/100 Fly drill/100 BR drill

3 x 200 FR Pull with buoy on 2:40

4 x
    - 100 IM on 1:45
    - 50 Kick on :60 (fr/bk/sdk/fr)

now for the fun ...

- Go on the next :30
    - 10 x 50 on :50 FR DPS
    - Go on the next :60
    - 10 x 50 on :40 (1-2 FR, 3 non-free; repeat)
    - Go on the next :60
    - 10 x 50 on :45 Pull with buoy (1-4 FR, 5 BK; repeat)
    - Go on the next :30
    - 10 x 50 on :40 FR Quarters strong

150 cool off and out

(3950, 70 min)

-----
    Well I guess my thought of decreasing yardage for next week's meet this week didn't happen. I did not sleep all to well last night and took a short nap before lunch, so I wanted to get some pace work in today.

On the 200 pull I held 2:23, so I am happy with that. I worked to come in about the same time on all three, working the streamlines off each wall. The next set was basically stroke work fillers with some kicking - didn't want to do too much after yesterday.

I have done this multi 50's set in the past heading into a big meet, to hit target times.
    - First time through was DPS and 2-3 SDK off each wall. Held 35's.
    - Second time through I did BK/Fly/BK. Just a few short rest on strokes, held 33's on the FR
    - Third time I held 35's on all, even the Back. Bonus!
    - Last set - huff and puff with a strong kick, aiming for 32's. Quarters strong = cycle through fast 12.5 yards every four. I just kept ticking them off and looking forward to the "only two left ..."

I was able to fix the pellet stove pipe outside today, and also reinforce my snowblower's discharge chute with some tin - ready for winter now. Off to watch "Pippin" at the high school tonight. My daughter is running the lights, sound, and the helpers. She does a great job with it. I'll be back in the pool on Monday ...

Updated December 1st, 2011 at 10:56 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Workout 11/30/11

by , November 30th, 2011 at 02:16 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK
    500 Pull with Buoy Noah's Ark (2 by 2, DPS/Fast, 25 -> 100) - 75's did BK
    100 IM drill

6 x 75 kick (last lap fast) on 1:25
    - FR/BK/SDK, repeat

3 times through:
    Start at the :60
    - 100 FR (last lap fast) on 1:15
    - 100 FR (3rd lap fast) on 1:15
    - 100 FR (last lap fast) - make 1:15,
    - q-break til top, then:
    - 100 BK on 1:30
    - 100 IM on 1:30
    - 50 drill EZ

500 Noah's Ark swim with Paddles

100 EZ and out

(3700 total, 70 min)
    ----------

I had a nice swim at lunchtime today. I gave a name, "Noah's Ark," to that set that I have been doing since no one else let me know if it has a name. I figured I'd go with the 2 x 2 theme. Maybe it'l stick.

In hindsight, I probably should have put the kicks after the main set, as my legs were tired. For the FR, I landed around 1:08 on the first set, 1:11 on the second, and 1:14 on the third. I was able to hit 1:17 for the backs, and the IM's came in just under 1:20. Fun little set.

After that, I was not feeling great but figured I'd keep swimming and strapped on my paddles. I might not play to much more with them until after the BU meet as I tweaked my shoulders a few time (well, I was splitting the lane near the wall in lane 1 and was trying to avoid hitting said wall). Best to just leave them alone in case I should do some serious harm before the swim.

I went into work for a couple of hours today to help out (our second tech was not there and we are at the first of the month rush). Now to figure out something for this evening. Oh, earlier today an appraiser came to the house - I am refinancing the mortgage, as I have about 21 yrs left on a 30 yr note @ 5.875%. I am locked in @ 3.685% for 15 years - will save a ton on interest (literally), and my monthly payment only goes up $48. Now I can better rationalize entry fees for my swims! haha
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 11/28/11

by , November 28th, 2011 at 09:44 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK
    4 x 100 Pull on 1:30 (FR/FR/BK/BK)
    1 x 100 IM drill

Tonight I took on the "meet" practice that James Adams listed on his blog while back:
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Main Set: Did the high school meet format, minus the relays.

Rules: - AFAP
    - Leave on the 60 or 30 only
    - Must take between 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds rest - no more, no less between events.
    - All from a push
    - Have fun!
    Here it was:
    200 Medley Relay - n/a
    200 Free - went 2:12.00 (1:18 rest)
    200 IM - went 2:39.44 (1:18 rest)
    50 Free - went :28.31 (1:02 rest)
    Diving goes here - n/a
    100 Fly - went 1:09.75 (1:20 rest)
    100 Free - went 1:02.56 (1:27 rest)
    500 Free - went 6:09.81 (1:21 rest)
    200 Free Relay - n/a
    100 Back - went 1:09.01 (1:18 rest)
    100 Breast - went 1:30.07
    400 Free Relay - n/a

1 x 50 EZ

4 x 100 on 2:00
    - 25 AFAP, 75 stretch (FR/BK/Fly/FR)

100 various w/d and out before the Aqua Zumba crowd shuffled in

(2800, 50 minutes)
    --------

This was a fun little set. 1350 of AFAP stuff, with a fair amount of rest, but not enough to truely go AFAP. I gave it my best effort though.
    I agree, it is a fun set. I should have had a tad longer w/u, and I was sweating over the 500 in the middle of the thing (which I tried to keep long and strong), but I am satisfied with the times. I did not really do them AFAP, probably around 85-90%, and I was happy that I was able to get a little extra rest on the 100 Free. Thanks, James! Anyone else tried this?

Otherwise, I am starting to look to decrease yardage a tad to taper for the NE scm meet @ BU in two weeks. I still don't know quite what to do to accomplish this, but I have been looking at some the sprinter's blogs for ideas. My main focus will be the 200 Back, but I have a 50 Free tucked in there as well, complementing the 400 FR and 100 IM (I can only swim on Saturday).

Updated November 28th, 2011 at 10:42 PM by rxleakem

Tags: y set
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Turducken - I'm stuffed

by , November 26th, 2011 at 01:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    With Master's group at the Rec (scy)

Today was Turducken Day, courtesy of swimsuit addict for the group, and we had a total four folks (of eight) give it a shot ...

Turducken set: A turducken is a turkey that is stuffed with a duck, which in turn has been stuffed with a chicken. Iíve never tasted one, but I feel like Iíve been reading about them as a novelty food item for at least a decade. The latest article I saw about turducken was not about food at all, but about privacy law, and ever since I read it, the word has been rolling around in my head. So I decided I would assemble stroke turduckens by stuffing a 50 of one stroke into the middle of a 100 of another stroke, then sticking the whole thing into a 200 of yet another stroke. I did four rounds of these; on the first, turkey=fly, duck=back, and chicken=breast; the strokes rotate through the IM thereafter. The set looked like this:
    4 x 350 @ :30-:40 rest interval
    1st 350=100 FL/50 BK/50 BR/50 BK/100 FL
    2nd 350=100 BK/50 BR/50 FR/50 BR/100 BK
    3rd 350=100 BR/50 FR/50 FL/50 FR/100 BR
    4th 350=100 FR/50 FL/50 BK/50 FL/100 FR
    On each round I aimed to do the middle 50 at 200 IM pace; the 50 before it as build and the 50 after it as recovery, and the turkey 100s at the front and back at basic aerobic pace.
    After we readjusted our suits, we went on to:
    7 x 100 on 2:00
    -----

I am thankful that this 2100 main set was done - I am used to my shoulders aching after a workout, but not this badly during it! haha The most continuous Fly I have done since HS has been 75 in a set, so this was a test. I thought that the 100's would be the worst, but the 50's on the last (two) did me in. But .... I made them all doing full stroke, so I am very happy with that. Also, my abs were sore!

I added a 600 w/u before the fun, and since I was one up at the end of the Turduken I went back for seconds, swimming just the last rep for a total of 5 completed. I took some great advice from from SB212 on the breastroke legs:
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212
    Yay! I hope you all enjoy it! Breaststroke isn't that bad, just keep your head looking down and love that glide!
    I kicked the 100's (FR, BK, DK, full breast stroke, FR, BK, DK), and came in around 1:40 each time. I can really notice a difference in my kicking stamina and speed since really incorporating it into my workouts over the last few months.

Close that with a 250 easy warmdown and I hit 3300 yards in just over 1 hour. Not bad! Off to put up the Christmas tree and get the lights set up outside. All the while enjoying the beautiful day we are having here - over 50 degrees and sun shining! Have a great day everyone.

Tags: turducken
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 11/25/11

by , November 25th, 2011 at 08:08 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

Long warmup in the hot pool today ...
    200 FR
    200 BK
    100 Fly drill/100 FR
    100 Br/100 FR
    200 Back

5 x 200's on :xx (trying to to run over or get run over - went when I had some open water)
    - 100 Kick
    - 100 Pull with buoy
    - Did FR/BK/sdk-IM/FR/BK

500 with paddles (25 DPS/25 Fast, 50/50,75/75,100/100)

200 various warmdown

(2700 yds, 55 min)
    -------

I am feeling tired today, and I did not pig out too much yesterday. I got up earlier than planned and put in a 1.6 mile walk with my son, and that did little to energize me before swimming at lunch time.

I could tell by the parking lot that it would be crowded today, and it was (6 in the water when I started, then it dwindled down to 3). I bet you all can't wait for the New Year crowds that will appear in a month or so, right? The water was very warm today - apparently the heater was not working properly earlier in the week and it was nice and cool for laps Today it was hot, hot, hot, with the heat still pumping out.

Anyone have a short-hand way of describing the 500 - I have done it a few times and am getting too lazy to keep writing it out. Must be the turkey talking ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 11/22/11

by , November 22nd, 2011 at 10:37 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy)

w/u
    200 FR/200 BK
    9 x 50 kick on :60 (fr w/ board, back w/o, sdk, ...)
    50 EZ

5 x 200 Pull with buoy
    - 1-2 FR on 2:45 (held :30)
    - 3 BK on 3:00
    - 4-5 FR on 2:45 (:28, :26)

6 x 75 FR on 1:15
    - shuffle fast 25 end -> beginning 1->3

100 EZ and out
    (2450, 45 min)
    ----------

My arms felt sore today. Over the past two weeks I have been adding pushups (3 x 10) as well as exercise bands and some abd moves to help build some strength. Yesterday I also finished the raking of leaves, so I think being sore is to be expected.

I moved through the water well today. Lane count went from 2 ->5, then back to 3, so I really did not think I could get to hefty a workout going. Giving how I feel, this worked well for me today.

Happy trails, or sails, or wake to you all.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts