View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 04/07/14: evening

by , April 7th, 2014 at 11:42 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Busy weekend at work. Emma is feeling better, but very sore. She sure is a trooper

After work today I started on some grouting at the college and will do more tomorrow. I was able to get in a short swim before watching some movies with Emma (everyone else in the family is down in PA looking at Messiah and Lancaster Bible Colleges).

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    3 x (50 kick, 50 pull, 100 DPS with AP) all with dorkel
    4 x 75 on 1:20 (swim/drill/sprint rotating IM order)
    1 x 50 EZ
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong free on 1:00
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1850 yds/35 min)
    --------------------------------

I'm feeling a bit sluggish in the water, but happy to #GetWet. GregJS was cranking some fast 50's between the other two swimmers in our lane, so I had to give way. I'm ready for masters tomorrow night.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 04/03/14: evening

by , April 3rd, 2014 at 07:26 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Spent the morning with Emma and her continuing dental saga. She had five extractions and bone grafts in prep for four implants. Please pray for her recovery and pain to be small, and for the rest of the plan to work out as the dentist has suggested. We're believing that God will take care of all the details, especially the financial part.

Quick swim before my college class tonight:
    200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    2 x (with dorkel)
    - 100 kick
    - 150 pull
    16 x 25 on :30
    - odds easy Fr, evens = FAST IMO
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1600 yds/30 min)
    ----------------------------

More or less just trying to finish last night's workout since I have not been making time for the pool as of late.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Workout 04/02/14: evening

by , April 2nd, 2014 at 10:13 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Yesterday I was treated to an eight hour Interal Audit at work, with low staffing, on the first of the month, which happened to be April 1st. Boo.

Quick workout tonight:

200 Fr/200 Bk
    8 X 50 kick on :55
    - 4 Fr, 4 Bk
    4 X 100 on 1:25
    4 X 50 BK on :50 Quarter's Strong
    4 X 50 FR on :50 b/c
    100 loosen
    Solo/Rec/1700 yds/30min)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Workout 03/29/14: morning

by , March 29th, 2014 at 10:38 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I had a couple of good days at work, then attended the last hour of class Thursday night. I had three chances to swim yesterday, and didn't. Went to a concert for a couple of girls from Preston's school that are heading to Ireland this summer - that was fun and we won a basket with breakfast goodies!

This morning I made it back to the college for a work day, finally finishing the tiling of the downstairs two bathrooms and then helping with painting on the fourth floor. Then I headed to Masters practice and joined eight other swimmers

w/u: 200 Swim/200 Pull/200 Kick/100 swim

Now for fun with Swimopoly:

We ended up doing:
    4 x 25 choice
    4 x 12.5 AFAP
    4 x 50 b/c
    2 x 100 (kick/pull) (I did an extra 50)
    3 x 100 back
    300 Negative Split
    200 Free Relay (me vs the two teams), in place of going to Jail
    6 x 50 Best Average on 2:00

100 loosen and out
    (Masters/Rec/2600 yds/90 min)
    ------------------------------------

I borrowed this idea from a tweet I saw a while ago and adjusted it to the abilities of our workout group. Instead of using dice to "roll" through the board, we used Greg's stopwatch and the last digit = move. There was enough variety and opportunity to adjust that everyone did the Swimopoly game, even those that typically just swim on their own. It was great fun!
    Tags: swimopoly
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Workout 03/25/14: evening

by , March 25th, 2014 at 10:49 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I was a slug last week. Picked up an extra shift and then life got busy during my long week of work so only one swim. I did manage to play some basketball at my son's school after church on Sunday night - without feeling too horrible yesterday. I skipped swimming last night because the college was showing a rebroadcast of the Bill Nye and Ken Ham creation/evoultion debate, so Preston joined me in watching that before I headed to Men's group for a bit.

Today was busy as well, but I knew that I could count on making masters tonight. I had a drug task force meeting this morning before going to Chapel, then spent some time at the college's library getting books for a research paper that I am working on for the end of the semester. I don't take the tests since I am auditing the class, but the prof is grading my papers so I am taking advantage of that. A quick nap before a light supper then off to practice (borrowed fromiefer's weekly workout):

300 FR swim
    100 kick on Back
    100 IM drill
    100 kick on front
    4 x 25 - focus on streamlines

300 FR Pull with buoy, every 3rd 25 Fast (did 350)

3 x
    - 25 Stroke/25 fr/25 stroke. :20 sr (did one each IMO)
    - 75 of above stroke. :20 sr
    - 100 DPS free. :60 sr (I did 150's with AP)

5 min warmdown (did 300)
    (Masters/Rec/2200 yds/60 min)

Lots of people at practice tonight, eight total in the water. Greg and Gabby did the workout with me, while others did their own thing. A new swimmer, Renee, was there and Carol joined us for the first time since Thanksgiving. Tim, Melissa, and Emily are working on base for tri's. We had a lot of swimmers on Saturday, so I am planning to bring a "Swimopoly" game for this weekend.

The full results for the Harvard meet have been posted into the USMS database. Click here for the update from Rick. My split request for the 500 and 1000 was not included, so I emailed them earlier today (although it won't be earth shattering if they are missed).

Other meet news: we have five entries so far for the Bennington meet in a month. I am expecting ~12 from the teams in Western Mass, so things are moving along swimmingly on this front. Also, on 4/12 there is a first-time meet in Northern Vermont (Greg is thinking of goin, but I'll be out of town). Then a meet at UVAC before some other fun in the Adirondacks - lots of opportunites!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Workout 03/19/14: morning

by , March 19th, 2014 at 11:57 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Easy workout today:

200 Fr/200 BK/200 IM drill
    600 Shark Swim
    4 x 100 on (traffic) Quarter's Strong Free
    100 ez
    4 x 50 on 1:00 Quarter's Strong Free
    8 x 25 on :30 IMO (ez/fast in pairs)
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2200 yds/50 min)

I am tired from this past weekend's adventure, and then coming back to work two 12 hour days. Planning to play some basketball with my son's team after school, then perhaps another swim tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. 03/15/14: NEM SCY Champs Distance Day

by , March 16th, 2014 at 10:55 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    The New England LMSC Short Course Yards Championship, affectionately known as "the Harvard Meet," attracts close to 900 people each March to the Boston area for some fast swimming in a great pool. This year there are a total of 854 swimmers from across New England and beyond. The meet is spread out over two weekends, with Distance Day in the middle of March on a Saturday offering either the 1000 or 1650 for both sexes, and then the regular meet the following Friday-Saturday-Sunday. I have never competed on the distance day and last year didn't swim at all, so with my weekend off this weekend I signed up for the 1650 this year.

I was able to schedule a trip to Boston, my favorite city just three hours to the east of home, with my family and also squeeze in a swim at a pool I always look forward to swimming in. With our my daughter unable to attend and Jinho in Guatemala on a missions trip with the school, I rounded up my wife, Preston and Lina to join me. I also arranged to meet up with my aunt Pat, who lives a a few towns north of the city, to help show us around - she is apparently immune to the humid environment of the pool and tries to watch me swim when I am in town.

We headed out Friday and checked into our hotel in Cambridge after an easy drive in. I had requested a parking pass, but they were out; fortunately I was able to get street parking within view of the room for the overnight period. We took the T into Government Center and explored Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, deciding to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe for pre-race nourishment. While chilly, the moon was shining as brightly over the lights throughout the area and we had a wonderful time.

The next morning, I woke up before 8am in order to drive the car to the Harvard athletic area and park for free for the day. I walked from Blodgett Pool to Harvard Square to catch the T back to the hotel for breakfast. At this point I was able to get a parking pass (oh well, at least I would be covered for after the meet), and we headed out to meet my aunt at Park Street. We checked out the Old Granary Burial Grounds and Statehouse before making our way through the Commons, past the Ducklings and the Swan Pond, and down towards the finish of the Boston Marathon. We continued west on Newbury Street before getting back on the T to head up to Harvard. We farted around Harvard Square for a bit (there is the newstand with media from around the globe and checked out Newbury Comics before grabbing a quick bite at Subway (those new Flatizza things are tasty and not to heavy) before heading on to the pool. (I've been wearing a pedometer and so far had logged 11300 steps!)

How long is it going to take to squeeze into this?

Checked in, warmed up and waited. I was asking around for a counter, and met Matt from RI who was swimming in the heat before me in the shallow end so we counted for each other. Harvard has the main competition pool, 5 lanes in the diving well (29 yards), then 6 lanes in the shallow end. For distance day, you can opt to swim in the shallow end with an in-water start and save $2 on your entry fee; since this is my first 1650 (I did the 1500 scm at Riverton a couple of years ago) and my training has not been focused, I choose to swim there [Really, I'm just cheap ]. Matt had a great swim (his first mile, too - way to go, Matt!) and I quickly went from the turn end, grabbed my goggles and cap and hopped into the start end for my race.

My plan going into the swim was to string together 3 x 500 then finishing out with a strong 150 to complete the 66 lengths required for the race. I maintained a comfortable pace and lead over Jon in the lane next to me for the first 500, working on two dolphin kicks off the wall and 13 stroked per lap. I increased to a strong kick for the first 4 strokes off the wall in the middle 500 and was able to stay ahead of Jon. I felt tired in the final 500, and around 47 Jon caught me as my upper back/shoulders tightened up, actually sneaking ahead in the mid 50's. I decided to pick up the tempo at 59 (a little earlier than I planned) with increased turnover and a stronger kick, battling back and forth with Jon. I gunned the last fifty and just touched out Jon, coming in at 19:38.89! What a race! I ended up taking first in my age group for the event.

(rx in the green cap FTW!)

Event 4 Men: 35-39 1650 Yard Freestyle
    ========================================
    1 rxleakem 36 Bennington-NE 19:57.75 19:38.89
    32.49 1:06.14 (33.65)
    1:39.93 (33.79) 2:14.82 (34.89)
    2:49.73 (34.91) 3:25.51 (35.78)
    4:01.03 (35.52) 4:37.08 (36.05)
    5:13.64 (36.56) 5:50.09 (36.45)
    6:26.14 (36.05) 7:02.19 (36.05)
    7:38.81 (36.62) 8:14.97 (36.16)
    8:51.13 (36.16) 9:27.72 (36.59)
    10:04.57 (36.85) 10:41.70 (37.13)
    11:18.35 (36.65) 11:54.62 (36.27)
    12:31.42 (36.80) 13:07.75 (36.33)
    13:44.25 (36.50) 14:20.92 (36.67)
    14:57.90 (36.98) 15:34.06 (36.16)
    16:10.23 (36.17) 16:46.25 (36.02)
    17:22.62 (36.37) 17:56.84 (34.22)
    18:32.58 (35.74) 19:08.21 (35.63) 19:38.89 (30.68)

*Note that twice I had the same 50 split, something I have always found awesome in others swimmers.
    The second occurrence was back-to-back; a combo bonus!
    ** So I swam: 5:50.09, 6:04.53, 6:02.22 plus 1:42.05. Probably took the first 500 out ever so slightly too fast.

After a quick warmdown (totaling 3774 yds for the day), we brought the car back to the hotel and took the T into town for dinner at Jacob Wirth/'s German Restaurant, in honor of our exchange student. I refueled with Wiener Schnitzel. We had a great time, capturing this photo before saying good night to my aunt after an excellent day:

Preston (yes, he is 16 and that tall now), Auntie, Rx, and my beloved.

This morning we ate breakfast at the hotel and then took the long way home on Route 2, driving through Lexington and Concord to check out the pivotal starting points of the Revolutionary War along the Minute Man National Historical Park. We took some pictures at The Wayside, Orchard House (where Louisa May Alcott penned Little Women), Emerson House, and finally Walden Pond, which is on my bucket lists for an OWS.

Another most excellent swimming adventure!

Updated March 16th, 2014 at 11:18 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  8. Workout 03/11/14: evening

by , March 11th, 2014 at 11:42 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Had a busy day, starting with new tires this morning for the van, then coming home to work on a Bible class paper (oh, I was pleased to receive a 95 on my Bibliology paper from a few weeks ago), then went to Chapel. I was able to play the drums, adding that element to the praise and worship team for the first time. Then I watched my niece for a couple of hours before heading to visit my 92 year old Nana - a great time! Dinner on the way home then practice:

200 Fr/4 x 50 kick/4 x 50 drill
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong on 1:10
    100 non-free swim
    4 x 25 sprint ~ 1:00

main set:
    1 x 25 AFAP
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 50 AFAP (:28)
    2 x 50 EZ
    1 x 75 AFAP (:46)
    3 x 50 EZ
    1 x 100 on 90% (1:01)
    4 x 50 EZ

200 IM drill and out
    (Masters/Rec/1950 yds/60 min)
    ------------------------------------

I was able to loaf tonight under the guise of tapering, so GregJS did a bunch more. I'll get in another quick swim Friday morning before heading to Boston for the weekend, and the 1650 on Saturday afternoon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Workout 03/10/14: evening

by , March 10th, 2014 at 10:55 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Busy weekend at work and I was not feeling the greatest, so I was happy to finish today at 2pm and not have to return until Wednesday morning. I have a drum set in the basement that has not been played in years, so I have loaned it to the college for their Chapel services. I'll be able to play there as well, so that is a plus.

After supper I went to the pool for a 30min swim, going back to some taper workouts from past seasons. Didn't quite get through the whole workout tonight, but did run into GregJS and had a good chat before swimming.

200 FR/200 IM drill/200 Back

3 x
    - 50 DPS, :10sr into
    - 25 AFAP into 25 EZ, into
    - 100 kick

100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1300 yds/30 min)

Normally this workout calls for a round of Quarter's Strong and some 4 fast 25's, but I needed to get out so that I could attend Men's Group tonight. I'm feeling good in the water, although a bit too bulky in the mid section.

I am only swimming distance day at Harvard this year, which is this weekend. The link is: http://meetresults.com/2014/nelmscscy/ I will submit a split request for the 1000 so I can make two swims out of one, and am actually thinking of a 500 request as well. I opted to swim in the shallow end of the pool, which means an in water start. Not too sure of expectations for the swim, as the one time I swam the mile it was scm in Maine with jbs. I'll swim this one a bit differently, and be surfing the forums for ideas on how best to attack it (before it attacks me).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Workout 03/06/14: morning

by , March 6th, 2014 at 03:41 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Did the old "Masters Double" with my evening swim yesterday and morning swim today ...

200 Fr/200 BK/200 IM drill

8 x 50 on 1:00 FR (fast 25, DPS 25)
    1 x 50 EZ
    8 x 50 on 1:10 IMO
    1 x 50 EZ

6 x 75 on 1:15
    - 2 FR, 2 Bk (did both as: kick, DPS, overkick), then 2 IM no fr

6 x 25 drag race from center of pool on :50
    150 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2250 yds/50 min)

At the Rec, the six lane pool is divided into three lanes: noodler, regular, fast. We used to be able to split the lane with up to three people (more than enough room), but some complained when the "fast" lane had three people and there were 4-6 circling in the middle lane. Now, the rule about two can split (having essentially their own lane) but circling once a third swimmer joins is being enforced.

Got in today as the third and the dude that rehashed interest in this due to his inability to share the lane hollered at me when I suggested circle swimming. I try to follow the rules, but he said he had special permission from the director of the Rec and he wasn't circle swimming with only three people in the lane. I mentioned this to the head guard at the other end, and indeed this guy has an exemption. Oh well, I apologized and told her I wasn't going to fight but just swim. After five minutes a fourth person joined (and I thanked her, because the dodgy dude left about ten minutes later)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got the first official entry for the Bennington meet in April today It is a former college swimmer that was at the first meet. Here is a flyer that my talented daughter made up:

Updated March 6th, 2014 at 05:23 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Workout 03/05/14: evening

by , March 5th, 2014 at 09:46 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    My day off today included a trip to the coporate main office in Schenectady for a committee meeting, so that ate away five hours around lunch time. Was able to help my wife with shopping before heading to he pool before supper:

200 Fr/200 IM drill/100 Bk

30 Minutes of swimming with my brother and niece (this was family/lap swim), a great time as my 3.5 year-old kin was kicking and splashing, with no worries about rolling on her back and getting her head wet. A great time!

4 x 100 kick
    4 x 300 with snorkel and buoy
    - 100 DPS/50 fast with AP, 50/50, 50/50, only snorkel
    1 x 300 IM
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2800 yds/75 min)

I forgot to mention that this past weekend, while I was swimming out of town, our community held the 2014 National Snowshoe competition at the small mountain just east of twon. Almost 1000 came to little Bennington, from 20+ states and over a handful of foreign countries. There was a great write-up here. I am sorry to have missed it, but hope that the next time it comes around I am able to cheer folks on.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Workout 03/03/14: morning

by , March 3rd, 2014 at 10:19 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Skipped yesterday, and opted for a recover swim this morning before work:

200 fr/200 bk/200 im drill
    5 x
    - 100 kick on 1:50
    - 100 swim on 1:30

Build a 200 im on 3:00

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2800 yds/55 min)

Shoulders are stiff, but otherwise felt good in the water.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. 03/01/14: Glens Falls Masters Meet

by , March 2nd, 2014 at 12:14 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Plans for easy swimming on Wednesday or Friday morning didn't happen. I did go snowbaording yesterday - had a lot of fun with temps in the teens and lots of sunshine. Lina from Germany made it down from the top of the moutain twice! It was her first year boarding and we celebrated with a stop to the Waffle Cabin

I met with the Masters crew this morning, getting in this easy swim:
    - 200 Fr/200 IM drill/200 Bk
    - 4 x 50 kick
    - 8 x 25 drill
    - 5 x 50 on 1:15 (odds= EZ, evens = fast)
    - 200 w/d
    (Masters/Rec/1450 yards/40 min)
    ----------------------------------

GregJS got out and we met at my house with my wife and headed to Glens Falls, NY, for their Masters meet today at the high school pool. This was actually my first pool meet in NY, as I tend to be working on the weekend of the meets over there, and we met with Steve and some of the Pittsfiled, MA, swimmers, as well as getting to know our ADMS peers during the meet.. The drive is about 75 minutes from home, so we got in some warmup there (I did 1100 yards, including some sprints from the blocks).

The meet was run mixed and last just over two hours from the 2pm start. I picked my events with the plan to get a little rest and easy swimming in and it worked well, altough I knew that after my first event (2bk) coupled with boarding yeasterday my legs would be fried, so I picked two 50's and a 100 to cap the meet. I'll update with official results later, but I posted some really great swims that I am excited about:
    -200 Bk = 2:10.9
    - 50 fly = 26.9
    - 50 free = 24.6
    - 100 free = 52.9

(Got in another 700 yards between warm up and cool down)

I love these mini meets because you can watch as some folks are hitting the blocks in their first meet, and others are getting close to PB's as they cruise through the water. Steve, a former coach for the Maruarders in town, did the 500 for this first time in 40+ years, clocking a well executed time under 9 minutes. I was beat in the 50 fly by Patrick, and got to watch Greg swim his first 200 breast, even splitting it with a 2:44. While Dan from Pittsfield was out due to illness, Steve was there to help lead a group. I also talked with Denny, who finished right in front of me at Betsy Owens 2mile cable swim in August.

The water was clear and cool for a meet that was very well run. I highly recommend this event if you are able to attend in the future, and hopefully my work schedule will allow me to make it again next year. Greg had great swims and my wife was able to put a dent (15 chapters) into a book she is reading (it would take me a month to read that much!). We stopped for a bite to eat on the way home, a super day!
  14. Workout 02/25/14: evening

by , February 25th, 2014 at 11:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I had an easy day off today, starting with a Rx Task Force meeting, then joining my pastor at a local computer store to help pick out a laptop that someone associated with the church plant offered to purchase for the church. What a blessing! We went to Chapel then I worked on some homeword before getting a dish prepared for tonight's end-of-year basketball banquet. I am really proud of Preston, Jinho, and Lina for playing this year and being able to celebrate tonight. arty:

Made it to Masters for an easy practice:

200 Fr
    150 Kick, 150 Pull
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong on 1:05
    100 swim

2 x
    - 25 AFAP, 75 EZ
    - 75 DPS, 25 AFAP
    - 25 EZ, 25 Build, 50 DPS (drop a stroke from first to second lap)
    (All on 2:10)

2 x
    - 100 Stroke/IM into 50 Kick on 2:15

4 x 50 Active Recovery and out
    (Masters/Rec/1900 yds/60 min)

I'm going to sleep in tomorrow morning.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Workout 02/24/14: evening

by , February 24th, 2014 at 10:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Back in the water for the first time since Thursday. I thought it would be a good idea since I have a meet this weekend

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
    2 x 100 kick
    8 x 50 FR on 1:05
    1 x 50 ez
    8 x 50 Bk on 1:10
    1 x 50 ez
    6 x 75, done as:
    - 2 FR (on 1:15, 1:45; held :50)
    - 2 Bk (on 1:20, 1:40; held :54)
    - 2 IM (on 1:20, 1:40)
    6 x 25 on 1:00 drag race from mid pool (2 fr/bk/fly)
    4 x 50 on 1:20 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2500 yds/60 min)

My legs are pretty beat from the hiking adventure last week, which you can read about here if you would like to (and see some pictures).

My rough plan is to swim tomorrow with Masters, and maybe Wednesday and Friday morning as easy stuff. Friday I am off to Mt. Snow for the day (nothing like pounding the legs!), then I'll do stroke work and an easy workout with Masters on Saturday before heading to the meet. I am swimming: 200 Back, 50 Fly, 50 Free, and 100 Free; aiming for a good time in the back and seeing what I can muster in the 100 after those sprints.

Updated February 25th, 2014 at 09:51 AM by rxleakem

Tags: hiking
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  16. Workout 12/20/14: evening

by , February 20th, 2014 at 09:32 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, we survived the adventure! The two miles up a mountain to the cabin were, well, long. And steep. But we worked through some issues (I ended up pulling two sleds with cooking stuff and other people's personal items) and arrived to a cold cabin. But lots of firewood, so I had the shanty blazing hot in no time. We laughed at some of the misteps (which were king-sized due to the snowshoes), ate some warm food and played Apples to Apples before S'Mores and bed. I plan to blog about this elsewhere, and will post a link in a future post because I am sure you are all wondering why I'd plan for this in the winter after a 20+" snowstorm!

I was going to skip the pool tonight, but had time and went for a quick swim before Bible class at the college:

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM Drill
    400 Shark Swim
    4 x 50 Quarter's Strong FR
    4 x 50 Burst and Cruise IMO
    150 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1550 yds/30 min)

I was bushed after getting home and unloading gear. I jumped right into the hot tub, then finished some reading so decided to get in a quick swim. GregJS was there, fighting the the swim team kids in the fast lane - I stayed in the medium lane and went with traffic.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Workout 02/16/14: noon

by , February 16th, 2014 at 11:00 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    I skipped swimming yesterday I order to enjoy a massage with my wife. It felt great, and I am sore today (first time that has happened) - she really worked my back over. It should help in the long run, I'm sure.

After church this morning and before servie tonight, I was able to get in a swim. The adult swim hour is packed on Sundays, so I took it easy and basically went according to traffic. Ended up with 3000 yds in 65 minutes, which is good news as the Rec is closed tomorrow for President's Day.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Workout 02/14/14: noon

by , February 14th, 2014 at 10:21 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Spent roughtly 2 hours digging out from the most recent winter storm to hit the area, complete with close to 20 inches of snow! A great way to get the heart moving this Valentine's Day

Hit the pool at lunch and had the pool to myself for the first half hour:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill

4 x through with snorkel:
    - 100 kick on 1:50
    - 100 Fr pull with buoy on 1:20

10 x 150 on 2:10, done as 2 x through:
    - Perfect Stroke with AP
    - 100 DPS, 50 Fast
    - 50 DPS, 50 Fast, 50 DPS
    - 50 Fast, 100 DPS
    - 150 BK plus :20 SR

50 Easy
    4 x 50 on :60
    - easy FR down, :05 rest, IMO Fast back
    200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/3350 yds/60 min)

I felt really great in the water, and took advantage of the empty pool to the fullest extent possible. After the swim, I broke out my roof rake to complete drylands for the day.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Workout 02/11/14: evening

by , February 11th, 2014 at 11:56 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Enjoyed a great day, especially since I continue to feel better. Was able to work on taxes for three folks in the family (via TurboTax), and will probably get around to doing my own in the next week or two. Also heard a great message at Chapel service today.

Team practice tonight (adapted from "Swim with SwimOutlet" facebook post); GregJS and I did the following, Tim did his own thing, and a new to the water swimmer hopped in and I offered some efficiency advice (best thing to tell triathletes is to work on ankle flexibility to help kick to help body position).

200 Free/150 Kick/150 Pull
    4 x 50 b/c on 1:05
    100 no free swim

2 x
    - 6 x 75 Free
    1-2 on 1:20 (80%)
    3-4 on 1:15 (85%)
    5-6 on 1:10 (90+%)
    - half masters-minute rest
    - 4 x 50 Free on :55 (hold same pace as 5-6 above)
    - full masters-minute rest

2 x 100 on 2:00 warmdown (50 drill/50 swim, all choice)
    (Masters/Rec/2300 yds/55 min)
    -----------------------------------

I felt the water better tonight. I did the first round of the main set with the dorkel (:56, :53, :50) and the non-free IM on the second round, where we added and extra 10 seconds to each 75 interval.

I submitted paperwork for the mini meet we're holding at the end of April:
    04262014 Monumental Meet.pdf
    Hope to see some old friends and also new faces - stop by for a splash if you're in this neck of the woods!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Workout 02/10/14: evening

by , February 10th, 2014 at 10:36 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Well, my turn on the sick train appears to have ended. Caught the upper respiratory bug going around the area and spent Wed and Thurs in bed (b/c in pharmacy you can only be sick on your days off), then staggered through the weekend at work. Still have a cough but ventured to the pool anyways ...

200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    600 Shark Swim
    2 x (4 x 50 on :50 - IMO down and easy free back)
    100 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/1700 yds/30 min)

Breathing was better than expected, but lack of feel in the water was right where I thought it would be. Planning to take it easy this week and get back into the groove of things.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast