View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 10/26/12:

by , October 26th, 2012 at 10:30 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 BK/200 IM drill

10 x 100 with snorkel
    - odds DPS FR on 1:20
    - evens kick on 1:50

5 x 200 on 3:00
    - 1-4: first 50 hard IMO
    - 5 = 200 IM drill

50 ez

10 x 50 Fr done as:
    1-4: Quarters Strong on :50 with snorkel
    5: AFAP with snorkel (28.4) on :60
    6-9: Quarters Strong on :50 (w/o)
    10: AFAP (26.8) on :60

50 ez
    4 x 25 FAST IMO on :30
    50 ez
    4 x 25 FAST on :30
    - odds: back with start
    - evens: DPS FR

250 loosen and out with snorkel
    (Solo/Rec/3700 yds/70 min)
    ----------------------------

Another good swim today with a mix of volume transitioning into higher intensity. Alternating swim and kick with the first pre-set is getting easier, and I will try to drop the kick time down next week. Using the snorkel does seem to allow for better leg positioning with the kick, which I can translate into my fast swims. I like that. I tried to descend those swims, and went 1:10,:08:08,:07,:06).

I was going to repeat my little IM set from a few weeks ago, but the lane got crowded and I skipped the fast 200 IM on #5. I was pretty fried by that one, anyway. On the Quarters Strong, I wanted to see what difference the fast 50 would show with and without the snorkel. About two seconds, which I attribute mostly to lackluster turns with the snorkel (since it flops about a bit). That last 50 is a great practice time for me, especially at the end of that set. Then I tired to bust out some fast stroke stuff before warmdown.

I have full weekend ahead. I am coaching the local group tomorrow morning and plan to swim myself at some point. Our town has lots of events, including high school fall sports playoff games, Fallapalooza downtown tomorrow (shouldn't snow this year), and Sunday I will be helping at the Wicked Creepy Cyclocross race (registration in the morning, then I will be dressed as a pumpkin during the costumed ride at noon. I was going to enter an actual race, but they all last at least 30 minutes and I'm not that keen on breaking my neck (yet).

Have a great weekend, and be prepared for Frankenstorm all my east coast friends.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts