View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. 10/29/12: NSR

by , October 29th, 2012 at 05:37 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Sandy has closed the pool today and tomorrow at the least, so no swimming for me for a bit.

I was able to help at the registration booth yesterday for the cyclocross race in Bennington. Remember that my brother (the biker and former swimmer) swam at our meet in April, so I (the never was biker) helped out at his event. Last year it snowed, so it was canceled. This year it was beautiful for a race - they had a total of twelve divisions (including the costume one lap race I did) and lots of people out to ride.

You can see that the my wave (I'm the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown) had a varied group - Lance came with his lawyer (and special feed), Jesus was following the young Men In Black fellow (both well ahead of Buddy the Elf and some dude in a tutu), and other little ones that had already taken off:

I might have taken a wrong turn, but I was busy have fun and not falling over ...

More photos from the event here.

Great time. I am thinking of doing the Cat 4/citizen men ride next year, but we shall see. I'd have to remove my bar ends for that to happen.