View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 11/01/12: noon

by , November 1st, 2012 at 11:03 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 100 Fr/100 Bk
    1 Noah's Ark with snorkel and paddles

10 x 50 FR on :45 with snorkel
    4 x 125 IM on :15sr (float the 50 stroke)
    1 x 50 EZ

Go three times through:
    - 100 Kick on 1:50 (flutter with board and snorkel)
    - 2 x 100 Fr on 1:20 (pull with buoy and snorkel)
    - 1 x 50 EZ on 1:00
    - 2 x 25 Burst and cruise stroke on :30
    (did Fr, Bk, fly by round)

200 w/d with snorkel and out
    (Solo/Rec/3150 yds/55 min)
    ------------------------------
    Good second workout. The lane started to fill in on the IM set, so I just went when I could in order to get it all in. That main set was a nice mixture of lower leg/upper body/go really fast pain, and I was happy with the results.

The massage was great this afternoon - first time getting those warm stones as part of the deal, and I tried not to laugh too much from the rocks between the toes tickle torture. I fell asleep after I flipped over, and I guess my wife's masseuse checked with her to be sure I wasn't in any sort of distress.

The play at the high school was great. First time in four years that our daughter has not been there running the lights and sound, but it was fun to support the kids that we know who are acting this year. I am debating a swim before work tomorrow, but most likely will sleep though it.

Updated November 2nd, 2012 at 12:11 AM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 11/01/12: morning

by , November 1st, 2012 at 10:32 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM

4 x thru:
    - 150 Fr Pull on 2:05 with buoy and snorkel
    - 100 flutter kick on 2:00 with board and snorkel

10 x 50 on :50
    - 1-4 Quarters Strong Fr
    - 5 EZ Fr
    - 6-9 Quarters Strong stroke (Fly, Bk)
    - 10 EZ Fr

150 w/d with snorkel and out
    (Solo/Rec/2350 yds/45 min)
    ----------------------------

Had a fun night last night, and even got some candy out of the deal. I used to porge right through it, now I ration it out for after swim practice.

Didn't have a lot of time this morning, but a good swim. Two other Masters swimmers were there, which is nice to see.

Busy day - furnace is getting cleaned now, then I am bring the cats to the vet before swimming at lunchtime. After collecting my son from school my wife and I are going to have a couples massage with those warm stones, then off to the high school to watch opening night of Cinderella.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts