View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 11/13/12:

by , November 13th, 2012 at 10:39 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    200 fr/200 bK/200 IM Drill

Repeat 3 times:
    - 1 x 200 FR on 3:30
    - 2 x 100 FR on 1:55 pull with buoy
    - 1 x 100 FR on :10 SR into
    - 1 x 50 FAST!
    - Masters Minute and repeat

1 x 100 Kick on :20 SR
    2 x 50 Kick on :15 SR

4 x 50 Active Recovery on 1:10
    (Masters/Rec/2650 yds/55 min)
    -------------------------------

My very seldom opportunity to swim with the Masters team on Tuesday night happened today. I have been feeling the effects of this head cold since coming home from the meet on Sunday, and barely got through my long day yesterday (with the help of 12-hr Sudafed and lots of ginger ale). Swam the workout as written and enjoyed talking with GregJS, Steve, and Carol tonight.

So normally today is my long day at work, but I was invited to the state house by the VT Dept of Health Commissioner due to the work of the RX abuse task force that I am working with. The very low cost model for removing expired/unused/unwanted drugs from our community's homes through a mailing label initiative or by way of permanent drop-off at the Sheriff's office (either in person or by a deputy coming to your house to pick it up) was highlighted as one of four core standards that the state is trying to implement. Throughout the state different agencies are doing things to reduce the "social access" to medicines as well as reducing environmental damage by improperly disposed drugs. Neat that our work over the last two years might be picked up on a statewide level. Anyways, needed to be up for 6am for the 2.5 hours drive to attend the 8 hour meeting, and I made it back in time to practice.

Saw that jbs updated his splits from the meet Sunday, so I did the same here.

Pregunta del noche: What is the capital of Vermont? (Yes, Vermont is one of the 50 states )

Updated November 13th, 2012 at 11:30 PM by rxleakem

Categories
    Swim Workouts