View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 11/05/12: noon

by , November 5th, 2012 at 02:11 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 100 Fr/100 Bk/200 IM drill

1650 FR with snorkel, done as:
    10 x 50 on :45
    5 x 100 flutter kick on 1:50 (w/ board)
    5 x 100 pull with buoy dropdown
    (1:30, :25, :20. :15, :10) <- just made it
    1 x 50 DPS on :60
    4 x 25 FAST on :30

4 x 50 stroke/drill on :60

Timed 400 IM: went 5:28
    1:15
    2:38 (1:23)
    4:17 (1:39)
    5:28 (1:11)

50 float
    100 IM = 1:14.87

150 loosen with snorkel
    4 x 25 with snorkel on :30
    50 ez and out
    (Solo/Rec/3100 yds/55 min)
    ---------------------------

Had fun with a mile set - was able to get a solid :10sr with the swims and kicks, then descended the pull portion, just getting the last two in. Finally got that 400IM in - my goal was to have a strong 50 then build a 50 with each stroke. Too slow on the fly and back - need to stay relaxed during both of those and be efficient in order to keep my breath under control for some rocking Br pullouts. Not a bad practice time for me (of the four timed 4im's I've done, the Br leg today was the fastest - good news).

Started to spit snow a bit today here in VT ahead of the next storm coming up the East Coast, so I'll postpone outside work due more to the wind than anything. Also, I remember last year raking before the Riverton meet and tweaking my back, so I'll do that stuff next week.

There was basketball last night, but it started at 7pm and I was ready to relax after work and the first Sunday of the month nursing home service that I am able to lead. Took it easy and had a nice soak in the hot tub. The only other interesting news is that Emma will be able to see a speech from Bill Clinton tonight at UPenn - finally stumping before the big vote tomorrow. I heard him speak on NPR on the way home from Kingdom Swim this summer - good speaker. I just told Emma to pass on any offer to partake in a cigar

Updated November 5th, 2012 at 06:11 PM by rxleakem

Tags: 1650, 400 im
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Workout 11/05/12: am

by , November 5th, 2012 at 10:00 AM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM Drill

8 x 100, done as:
    - odd: FR Quarter Strong (by 100) on 1:30
    - even: IM kick

200 stroke drill

4 x 50 on :50
    - FR DPS down
    - IMO stroke back, FAST

200 loosen and out
    (Solo/Rec/2000 yds/35 min)
    --------------------------

Took it easy this morning with some more generous intervals and small amounts of fast swimming. I worked this weekend so stayed dry, missed out on a trip to Philly to see Emma (although my wife managed to get pulled over once and lost six times - can't wait to see the EZ Pass statement).

Have the Riverton meet this weekend: plan is to swim again at lunch after a few errands, maybe some yard work before Bible study tonight. Plan to do a small drop taper in prep for Sunday, although I need to get in a 400 IM for time at some point.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts