View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 12/28/11

by , December 28th, 2011 at 09:06 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    Solo at Rec (scy): Pool temp = 85

w/u:
    200 FR/200 BK
    3x100 Kick on 2:00 (FR/BK/SDK)

go two times through:
    - 4 x 100 on 1:20
    - odd = FR, even = IM (1st time)(BK 2nd)
    - 40 second q-break
    - 2 x 200 FR PULL with buoy on 2:40
    - 1 x 200 IM on 3:00
    - 40 second q-break

100 ez

8 x 25 on :30
    - odds FR DPS
    - evens IMO FAST

200 various w/d
    (3200, 55 min)
    ------------

Happy to be back in the water today. My sinuses are still pretty plugged up, but I am feeling much better and decided to use a workout based on the one from kiefer.com for tonight.

I was able to keep the kicks in the 1:35 range, so my legs are coming back. On the main set, the warm water started to get to me quickly.
    -The first time through I averaged 1:08's on the frees and 1:18 on the IM's. I pulled 2:26, :25, and did the IM on 2:50.
    - The second time through I went 1:05 and 1:08 on the Frees, held 1:15 on the backs, pulled a 2:23 and 2:26 before a generous 2:55 on in the IM.

After a quick loosen, I tackled the 25's. I swam all the odd frees at :15. My paired times for the IMO were: Fly (:15,:16), Back (:16,:14), Breast (:21,:22), Free (:14.5, :13.8).

A nice variety here. I have been poking around and will be trying some of the LT sets that Q is doing (to add to the breaks I've already implemented) starting next month. I have been working some more IM/strokes into the practices to try to improve these events this year, as I take my first crack ever at 2fly and 4IM. I have completed my first "official" year of swimming since high school, and have a notion to try every event at least once (even the 2breast, which will no doubt cause me to ) because I am sooooo slow) during the upcoming year.

Now to start the search for meets before NE champs in mid-March, and do some more leg work to hold a meet at my home pool sometime in April.
    Tags: kiefer
    Categories
    Swim Workouts