View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

My wife and kids motivated me to get my big belly back into the pool after buying a pair of SwiMP3's for Christmas in 2008. I focused on swimming the Peaks To Portland (Maine) 2.4 mile swim in July, 2010, and have added meets and consistent training since then. I mostly swim on my own because I am only able to get together with the local Master's workout group a couple of times a month. I love the backstroke and short free events, and I have a newly discovered fondness for Open Water, having completed my first 10K in Sept '11 and 10 mile in July '12.

My faith in Christ sees me through the exhausting practices and long hours driving to competitions (well, everything day by day, actually), and helps to keep me grounded in the knowledge that the events are only to give me feedback on how my training is progressing. If you're interested, just ask.

------
Check out my swimmer info page here.

1. Workout 3/7/12: whoever told you that is your enemy

by , March 7th, 2012 at 01:55 PM (Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine)
    w/u: 200 FR/200 BK/200 IM drill
    4 x 100 Kick in 1:45

Go two times thorough:
    - 5 x 50 on :40
    - 1 x 50 EZ on :60
    ---- 1st = FR pull with buoy, 2nd = FR stroke

4 x 75 on 1:05
    - 50 DPS, 25 FAST free
    4 x 75 Oreos on 1:15
    - fly/bk/fly, bk/br/bk, br/fr/br, fr/fly/fr

100 IM drill ez
    100 IM for time (1:09.17)
    100 IM drill ez
    100 w/d
    (solo/Rec/2600yds/55 min)
    --------------------------

Had a nice swim this lunchtime in an uncrowded pool. Temp right now = 57, and we'll be in the lower 60's tomorrow. I made the kicks on 1:35, and decided to get some short rest 50's going (a nice complement to last night's 100's). I held :34-35 on the pulls, and for the swims I came in :32-33 - focused on DPS the first lap with a fast turn and turnover on the second lap.

The 75's felt good - came in at :52 for the first set, and I didn't really worry about time on the Oreo's, an idea that I saw in Tim's blog a while back - apparently swimsuit addict can't resist them either. Fun fact - Oreo turned 100 years old on Tuesday.

The IM felt better - maybe I'm playing around too much with the breaststroke. Nice to get under 1:10 again.

Off to enjoy the beautiful day outside. Tonight is the final meeting for our trip to Spain next month, and I will be doing some online pharmacy CE's tonight in an attempt to not procrastinate again this year. Oh, here is a picture from the 200 fly last Saturday: my Rx for success is to have fun and enjoy those turns, especially like I did on the last one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03806.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	6805
    Tags: oreo
    Categories
    Swim Workouts