View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

My Team
I swim on a small team (Madison Titans) with 4 regulars and a couple others that can't make the morning workout. On Saturdays and occasional weekdays, I drop by HSA in Huntsville for a swim in the big pool.

1. 09.13.12 - Thursday workout

by , September 13th, 2012 at 10:36 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave, Ray, Kyle and Danny. Sad day yesterday. My 8 yr old greyhound had to be put down due to quickly spreading bone cancer in his shoulder. 6 years ago, the greyhound rescue people brought Comet over with 3 other dogs for adoption. The other 3 explored the house anxiously. Comet jumped up on the couch, laid down and fell asleep. He really picked us more than we picked him. He was a very gentle dog. He tolerated 3 toddlers in the house and never did more than an annoyed whine to let us know he'd had enough. He never chased after cats, rabbits or other small animals as we were warned he might do. When he was younger, he would do solo runs around the back yard. After about 5 laps he was ready for a nap. He loved racing at the dog park. Once a pack of dogs started running somewhere, he would be clear out in front after about 4 steps... and then have to slow down because he didn't know where they were actually going. Comet was an awesome dog and will be sorely missed.

With the dog situation and a cold coming on, I wasn't exactly 100% into swimming today. It took a little time to get things off my mind and focus on swimming. The challenge set today was great for that. This was our last day: 10 x 100 IM on 1:25.

SCY

600 Warm up

Challenge set
    6 x 50 - :50 IM Order/Free
    2:00 Rest
    10 x 100 IM - 1:25
    100 Easy
    Really stretched out the first one and took it as easy as possible. Came in at 1:20... faster than I thought. Second one had a little more effort - 1:22. Might be a problem. I didn't panic, just kept the pace and was prepared for touch and go for #4. Ended up back at 1:20 again. The whole set seemed to got like that. I'd come in at 1:22 and then back down to 1:20 and back up to 1:22 again. Had plenty left in the tank to finish on 1:15. Set complete! Now off to the next challenge.

10 x 150 - 2:30 (Stroke/Kick/Stroke)
    * 1-4 IM Order/Br Kick/IM Order
    * 5-7 IM Order/IM Order Kick/Pull
    * 8-10 IM Order/(Bk, Br, Fly) Kick/IM Order

16 x 25 - :40
    * down IM Order hard
    * back no breath (3 x free, 3 x fly, 2 x br pullouts)

5 x 200 - 3:00 Convert Free to Stroke
    I converted free to back. Made 2:48 on the last one which I think is a personal best for backstroke. We don't do a lot of backstroke sets so I'm not completely sure. Dave converted to fly. Made me look bad .

8 x 25 Kick - :40 IM Order, sprint

200 Cool down

(5300 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts