View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

My Team
I swim on a small team (Madison Titans) with 4 regulars and a couple others that can't make the morning workout. On Saturdays and occasional weekdays, I drop by HSA in Huntsville for a swim in the big pool.

1. 08.29.12 - Wednesday workout: Backstroke breakthrough?

by , August 29th, 2012 at 09:40 AM (Pete's swim blog)
    Swam w/ Dave, Dave, Dave, Ray, Kyle and Whitney. Roger is always pointing out that my shoulder isn't going deep enough when I begin my backstroke stroke. I can force my shoulder lower but it feels awkward. I'm faster when I do it but it is hard to keep it up and I get lazy when I'm tired. Today, I was experimenting during warm up. Instead of trying to force more rotation from the shoulder, I relaxed my elbow bend and pressed my elbow toward the bottom of the pool. This set up a more natural shoulder rotation. Immediately, I could tell I was pushing more water on each stroke. Instead of struggling to make 1:30 on a 100 back, I was making 1:25 easily. So, it appears to be faster. Am I doing it right? Maybe. Are my backstroke woes behind me? No, my sdks still stink, my kick is weak and I still have trouble breathing comfortably. But it is much better.

SCY

600 Warm up

2 Times through:
    * 5 x 200 - 3:00 (Odds IM; Evens Pull/Kick)
    * 100 Easy
    * 5 x 100 - 1:45 (Odds Stroke - Fly, bk, br; Evens IM)
    * 200 IM Drill

(4200 Total)
    Categories
    Swim Workouts