Blog Comments

That sounds like one of those rare stroke fixes that is immediately both faster and easier. Way cool! You must be doing something right to drop 5s/100!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen Duggan
    We do a drill where we push the "buoy".
    Will try it. Thanks!
    We do a drill where we push the "buoy". The buoy is our chest. You make a concentrated effort to have your head in the correct position and really press your buoy towards the bottom of the pool.
    I HIGHLY recommend a snorkel for this so you are not messing with breathing and getting your head out of a neutral position. I'd start with about 12 x 25 on about :35 and completely focus on pressing the chest- your hips should pop right up to the surface.
    After doing this drill too, you should almost feel like you are swimming downhill- it's a trip! Let me know if it helps
    Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning
    Hi Peter.
    What is a Masters minute?
    I've seen a couple definitions. For us it is a lot of .

Are you coming to Madison anytime soon?
    Updated August 14th, 2012 at 05:32 PM by pmccoy
    Hi Peter.
    What is a Masters minute?
    Thanks but I've got to credit Dave on the 400. We tend to motivate each other and neither of us is willing to give up easily. We've had some fun races especially over the last year or so. Takes a big edge off the pain to have someone like that to swim with. I don't think I'd be able to go 4:20 on a solo effort.
    Nice work on the 5x300, and a very impressive 400 at the end!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    The nice thing is, once the water cools off in the fall, I feel nice and fast again!
    We do one meet a year in 79-80 degree water. After getting used to the hot tub we swim in it does feel like I can go a lot faster and further at the meet.
    I don't know how you tolerate such warm water on a regular basis. We have to put up with it in the summer here, and it gets old really fast.

The nice thing is, once the water cools off in the fall, I feel nice and fast again!

And a 400 fly? That's crazy
    Yeah, there wasn't much "easy" about it. I got a painful feeling in my stomach at 350 yards that has been my early warning alert that I pushed too hard in the altitude. By "easy", I guess I mean "nowhere near race pace". Temperature stinks but I'm used to it back home. Funny thing is that they keep the kiddie pool at 84. I think water aerobics rules at this pool.
    400 Easy fly
    WTH? As far as I know, there is no such thing.

4800 in an 86-degree pool. That's dedication!
    It actually looks like a fun workout that I might try sometime. 'can't make 100s pull on the 1:15 though, maybe 1:20 on a good day.
    Should be interesting to see the difrence. Most people are telling me full acclimation takes 4 to 6 weeks. I won't be here nearly long enough for that but I might get a couple days of fun before it all goes away.
    When you back to Madison you are going to be on oxygen overload - won't even be breathing hard after your sprints!!
    Air thin, water thick. Hope Ben and Sam have more luck with Dave Berry than I do .
    Hey, knew you would find a pool somewhere. Is the water as thin as the air? Some young guns have moved in with you gone (Ben Fogg and Sam ?) Dave C.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy
    My last couple 400 IMs have been 5:23-5:25 at the end of practice. But in the condition I'm in right now (back issues), I think you are right and I need to give myself a break.
    5:38 is only 4% off from your recent times, that's good if you are beaten down. You are somewhat faster than me. Sub 5:30 is rare for me. I hit 5:35 last weekend on a day's rest, but was near 6:00 today at the end of a very tough week.
    My last couple 400 IMs have been 5:23-5:25 at the end of practice. But in the condition I'm in right now (back issues), I think you are right and I need to give myself a break.
    A 5:38 400 IM in practice, at the end of practice, sounds very solid to me, especially if you are sore and tired.
    That sounds like a great set, I will definitely try it out. Thanks for the explanation!
    Quote Originally Posted by eric.carlson
    What is "Up/Down Kick", and what does the ":10" signify?
    Up/Downs are a way for swimmers of various levels to keep together on the same interval. :10 represents the maximum rest you should get on an interval. If you get more that :10 rest, you substitute 25 free with 25 kick. If you get less than :10 rest, you substitute 25 kick with 25 free. We usually go by the rule that you never do the same amount of kick on the next interval. So, if you make it up to 100 kick and still make the interval with more than :10 rest, you drop back to 75 kick/25 free anyway. It's kind of nice because I can choose what to work on and not worry about keeping up too much. If I kick breaststroke, I saturate the intervals (100 Kick, 75 Kick/25 Free....). If I kick fly, I usually get stuck between 25 kick/75 free and 50 kick/50 free. Sometimes we change the base stroke from free to fly. Lots of different variations.
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast