Blog Comments

That's what I keep reminding myself.
    Just go with the ebb right now in your training and be cool with it. You'll get into a good flow once life settles down.
    Thanks, guys, it's good to be back and hopefully I'll get to the area meets before long. I'm probably not going to have much in the tank for the scm season... my yardage is way down and training spotty to say the least. Hopefully I'll be a little more settled for the spring SCY season. Meanwhile, just enjoying being back in Central Tx!

And, yeah, we've seen "fixer-upper" with Chip and Jo-Jo... we're trying to score an episode, but some of those houses are SCARY!
    Welcome back to Texas Alex. Baylor is a great school and a great location as you mentioned. There will be a few scm meets this fall in Dallas and Houston you could check out if you are interested. In November DAM has it's annual scm meet at Baylor hospital pool in Dallas and WMST have there 2 day meet at the Woodlands. Both are great events. It will be good to meet in person at one of these or even in the spring if the timing does not work this fall. Once again welcome home Alex.
    Alex, I hope you continue to be well. A big move like what you did is always a major transition and takes time to rebuild your lifestyle according to the new location. I watch a TV/Cable show called HGTV Fixer Upper hosted by Chip & Joanna Gaines of Magnolia Homes located in Waco TX, which looks like a very nice family oriented town.
    I'm living just outside of Waco, TX! And working at Baylor University... nice location, far enough away from the big-city traffic of Dallas-Fort Worth and Austin, but close enough (1.5 hours) to each when we want to see our extended families.

P.s. Love the job! This is an awesome place to work.
    I'm happy the move is progressing and that you are settling in.
    Where are you now Alex? Seems like a plan.
    Congratulations! Great job!
    Congrats - I don't envy the move but it's awesome you don't have to go through the tenure process again!
    Thanks for all the support, guys (or do I have to start using "y'all" again?). Time is flying by and I always think I'll never get everything done in time... but somehow it all comes together.
    Hope the new job and move go well Alex - sounds like an exciting great spot at Baylor for you, especially since things weren't going well. The residual pain from this past recession is still with us and landing on your feet is great. Swim when you can
    Congrats on the new job! I hope the sell and the move goes smoothly!
    Looks as if a very positive type of stress is coming your way. Good luck throughout!
    Congrats on the job. Great university with great programs. A number of people I work with are Baylor grads and they rave about it. Welcome back to the Lone Star state.

Looking forward to to hearing how the move and transition goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Which resort in Tucson were you at? It kind of looks like Loews Ventana Canyon, but they all start to look the same after a while

You should have given one of us a shout, as there are some decent training pools in the area (if you have a vehicle and time to get away, of course).

Great job at the meet!
    It is interesting following your training, as you seem similar to how I was when I started swimming masters. And I did about the exact same thing for my very first event at a meet--the 200 free, but it was LCM. My coach told me afterwards that I had a decent 100 (only the 2nd 100 wasn't so good).
    We were at the Wyndham Westward Look. I really only had time to get in one swim (and that's 'cuz the pool was right there!), which was fine because I was sort of using last week as a recovery week anyway. Hit the reset button.

And, yeah, no trouble pacing a 50 or a 1650, but everything in between is still a complete mystery where freestyle is concerned. Even my 100 was split 31+/35+. If it had been 6" longer I would have lost the heat to my teammate.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Weights slow me down and ruin my form while training, but on race day I'm much faster
    After this week I've decided to swim BEFORE the weight training and not after... it really does slow you down and mess with your form to swim right after drylands.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's a better pool than most resorts offer; next time you're in Tucson, you have to try to either swim at the Oro Valley Aquatic Center or down with Ford Masters at the U of A.
    Yeah, the up-side to this resort and conference venue was the spectacular setting, but the downside was that it was pretty isolated out there in the Catalina Foothills, and without a car we were pretty much trapped on the resort. I would have liked to have been downtown and closer to things by walking or public transportation... that's how I usually find a university pool or YMCA.
    Which resort in Tucson were you at? It kind of looks like Loews Ventana Canyon, but they all start to look the same after a while

You should have given one of us a shout, as there are some decent training pools in the area (if you have a vehicle and time to get away, of course).

Great job at the meet!
    It is interesting following your training, as you seem similar to how I was when I started swimming masters. And I did about the exact same thing for my very first event at a meet--the 200 free, but it was LCM. My coach told me afterwards that I had a decent 100 (only the 2nd 100 wasn't so good).
    Weights slow me down and ruin my form while training, but on race day I'm much faster
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast