View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

It's a journey: musings on art, literature, life... and occasional notes on training.

1. Oconomowoc YMCA, WI Masters Meet

by , January 13th, 2013 at 04:16 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    The roads south of Milwaukee were pretty dicey and it was still snowing a bit when I left this morning, but by the time I hit the bypass and headed west the roads cleared nicely. I made it in time to change and take full advantage of the warm-up.

I'm pretty happy with this meet; I think there were only a couple of others in my age group so I focused on racing the folks around me whose seed times were similar. It was nice to be pushed and I PR'd each of the events I entered; and think I might have even won a few of my heats. Here were my events (seed times) and results:

50 Back (:50)--:44.89, 1st in age group.
    100 Free (1:20)--1:15.14, 2nd.
    100 IM (1:35)--1:29.77, 2nd.
    500 Free (7:50)--7:38.48, 2nd.
    100 Breast (1:45)--1:37.62, 1st

Scotty took first in the 100 IM and 500 FR in our age group and had a good meet. He was swimming in the faster heats (usually a heat after me), though we ended up in the same heat of the 500. I felt like my technique on freestyle was all off... the times are faster, but I was all over the place... I'm interested to see what my splits were in the 500; another Kenosha Y swimmer was watching my 100 free and said I was pretty close to even split (about :36 at the 50 mark), I pulled even with and may even have passed the swimmer in the lane next to mine on the final length, his seed time was 1:16... both of us were in the 1:15s, leading the heat. Fun. But I felt like both freestyle events were missed opportunities... my left goggle filled up with water at the start of both, and so that distraction means I wasn't really thinking about form, tempo, etc... yuck. The 500 was a sub 1:32/100 pace, but I feel like it could have been better.

I had the most fun with the "new" events/strokes: I really enjoyed the backstroke and the 100 IM was fun as well. The dreaded (for me) backstroke may be my new favorite! I wore my OW National Champs lime green cap and the timer for my 100 IM said, "This is an interesting contrast, I wouldn't have expected that cap in this event." She commented afterward that my back was probably my best leg and that my turn-over was really good. I wouldn't have predicted that two weeks ago! In my 50 back I had a good start and nailed the turn.

I also think it's pretty funny that I was first place in the breast in my age group (and won the heat), when that is clearly my worst stroke and the one I was most worried about going in.

All and all a fun time
    Categories
    Uncategorized