View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

It's a journey: musings on art, literature, life... and occasional notes on training.

1. 100s meet

by , January 5th, 2014 at 09:29 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    So... my all 100s meet was this morning... and the results are in. I'm way out of shape. And I don't like sprints. But at least I didn't have to do any 200s or long distance; a good thing, because I really am not in the kind of condition I was in at the end of the summer. The low volume workouts have taken their toll. I didn't taper at all for this meet (why taper when I'm still trying to up the daily yardage), so I shouldn't have expected too much, but I'm still a little disappointed that my fly and back times weren't faster.

Here's how it went down:

100 free = 1:11.5 (0:03.5 faster than my seed of 1:15)
    100 fly = 1:32 (also my seed time)
    100 IM = 1:28 (seed time was 1:29)
    100 back = 1:31 (seed time was 1:25... :06 off!)
    100 breast = 1:48 (seed time 1:50)

So now I know where I am and where I need to go. The practice yardage has to go up so I can perform well on more than a couple of events per meet. And I'm going to do a lot of that yardage at aerobic pace working on technique to keep building the base, but I also see a lot of interval 200s, 100s and 50s in my near future. Backstroke and fly yardage have to go up if I'm going to bring my 200 times down.

I think I was in my best shape a few months back when I was doing long sets of 50s at 200 pace. And 100s-200s at an aerobic pace with short intervals. Will have to go back to that.
    Categories
    Uncategorized