View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

It's a journey: musings on art, literature, life... and occasional notes on training.

1. Interruptions...

by , October 16th, 2012 at 07:16 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Haven't been able to get in as much yardage as I'd like in the last few days. Something always seems to stand in the way. Only managed 2000 on Saturday and another 2K on Sunday. Today I had to cut my workout short because they had a HS swim meet coming in at 4 and wanted to have the pool cleared out at 3:30. Here's what I managed to get in anyway:

3300 SCY in 62-64 minutes

--1100 warm-up:
    [100 EZ free
    5 x 100 drill w/ fins alternating w/
    5 x 100 pull]
    --2000 main set:
    [1 x 400 on 7:30
    2 x 300 on 5:30
    3 x 200 on 3:30
    4 x 100 on 1:45]
    --200 cool-down (breast)

I'm a little bit wary of my suddenly "trick" shoulder. Still can't really figure out what I did to it this weekend. It seems to be a lot better today and it doesn't bother my freestyle stroke at all unless I'm really pushing the pace.

I've let go of the filp-turn for now in case that's what might be causing extra stress on the neck and shoulder. I think I need to incorporate some dry land resistance and flexibility training regardless.... I just never seem to find the time.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. 3500 more; feeling better

by , October 12th, 2012 at 07:27 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    I got in today feeling a lot better. I hadn't done the steam room or sauna in months, but the last couple of days I've spent some time in there before and after swims to try and warm up, maybe sweat out some of the yuckies. I opted for a long warm-up today... here's the whole workout:

--1000 warm-up [Alternated 100s between drill (w/ fins) and pull].
    --100 breast
    --1K on 20:00 [this was 1000 free (17:40) and 100 breast (2:00)].
    --1K on 20:00 [another 1000 free (18:00) + 100 breast; on the freestyle I did the 3rd, 6th and 9th 100s at a little bit faster pace (1:40 instead of 1:45-1:50) and incorporated flip-turns, some of which were better than others]
    100 back-kick holding streamline (2:20)

I also mixed in sprint 25s (four of them) after each 1K and at the end of the work out; these were in :18-19

3500 in ?? [probably 65-70 minutes]

I'm still not real happy with the flip-turns b/c every once in a while I have a real stinker (at one point today I missed the wall altogether... whiff!), and I'm not convinced that I'm gaining much if any time on the ones I do stick pretty well. Open turns maybe slower, but at least they're consistent. I'll keep at it, and may even work on the dolphin kick (my goal on turns is usually to keep my legs as streamlined as possible so as not to create any drag... the idea that they might actually be a source of propulsion is a little foreign still at this stage!).

Scotty wants to get in a 6 x 500 on 10:00 workout tomorrow. It will be a good opportunity to maybe time trail myself on the 500. I think we're going to have to get that in a little earlier than we have been swimming on Saturdays this fall... tomorrow is family day at the Y: water zumba in the lap pool at noon and then family open swim after than!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Back in the water

by , October 12th, 2012 at 04:08 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    So, my aches on Monday were the start of a nasty bug. Never ran a fever but have felt pretty weak since Monday.

I got back in the water today after missing 3 days. I only did 1850, but I did mix in 3-4 hard 100s... I hit one in 1:23, which is a lot faster than I've been doing in a long while.

Illness sometimes has bonus effect of suppressing appetite... two pounds lighter on the scale today.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 6000-yard weekend

by , October 8th, 2012 at 11:05 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    I managed to get in 6000 yards this weekend... only 2500 on Saturday (continuing to work on flip turns). My neck has gotten really sore over the last few days of trying to keep up the yardage while introducing flip-turns, so Sunday I decided to go back to open turns just to give those muscles in my neck a break. I did 3500 in 63 minutes, mostly freestyle, but I did some breast and back as well.

Today I just feel achy all over; hope I'm not coming down with something... I think I'll take the day off unless I start feeling a lot better this afternoon.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Hate flip-turns...

by , October 5th, 2012 at 07:30 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Still don't have the hang of the flip-turns, but I did I lot of them today (I swam 3500 mostly freestyle, continuously).

My timing is way off and I'm having a hard time keeping track of my pace. I feel like my streamline off the wall is falling apart or my distance is off and so my push from the legs is often ineffective... it seems like I'd be better off just doing open turn, where I know I can get a good push and streamline every wall (plus peek at the pace clock). But I'll stick with it 'cuz I know it takes practice.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Flipping out

by , October 4th, 2012 at 06:05 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    I missed yesterday's swim b/c I was dealing with a backlog of paperwork and time got away from me. So today I almost forgot that I was supposed to begin working on flip-turns. Scotty was already in the water when I got there and seeing him reminded me... it's good to be held accountable! I had made a pledge to forgo any further open-turns once October rolled around--as comfortable as those open-turns have been for me over the last couple of years. It was time to make good.

Here's what I did:

5 minutes practicing flip-turns floating into the wall.
    600 warm-up with flip-turns
    10 x 50 on 1:00 (:43-:45)
    10 x 100 on 2:00 (1:34-1:36)
    10 x 50 on 1:00 (:44-:46)
    100 breast
    [2200 total in 50 minutes]

So, every once in a while I would just nail the turn and feel pretty good. Every once in a while I would flop and sputter; often I felt like an errant bottle rocket, squirting all over the lane. One thing I have to figure out is my breathing going into the wall. Because my open turn has accustomed me to getting a quick breath at the wall, I would neglect to breathe then come out of the turn with my lungs bursting (or so it seemed) looking for that breath.

I liked doing the 50s, though they were slow, because I only had the one flip. The 100s were challenging because I had to maintain that concentration for 3 turns. I'm hoping it gets better. I guess it's like anything, it will take a lot more practice.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. It's been a while...

by , October 2nd, 2012 at 04:21 PM (Alex's swim journal)
    Wow, it's been a while since I've had a moment's breath to blog; I have been swimming fairly regularly, but cutting way back on the yardage after pushing myself to the brink of overtraining at the beginning of August. After several straight months of 50-60 miles swimming, I dropped back to 25-30 in August and September. Disappointed I didn't get to do a 10K postal this year, but that's OK. There's always next year.

Scotty and I are planning to go to the WI State SCM meet in December; so now I'm easing back into the harder training. Here's what I did today:

1100 on 20:00 (19:30)
    1100 on 19:00 (18:30)*
    1100 on 20:00 (20:00)
    200 cool-down
    [3500 in 63 minutes]

*4 x 200 (3:01; 3:07; 3:09; 3:14), 50 active rest after ea 200; then 100 breast.

I'll try to work in some 100s and some 50s this week too. Also, I promised Scotty I'd start flip-turns in October... guess I'll practice that tomorrow.
    Categories
    Uncategorized