View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

It's a journey: musings on art, literature, life... and occasional notes on training.

1. PRs, 50 and 100 SCY... GTD update

by , December 3rd, 2012 at 12:31 AM (Alex's swim journal)
    So, I'm much more of an endurance junkie, but I also know that I have to mix in sprint work every now and again to be able to hold faster times for longer distances. Friday I had intended to do an easy 2-3,000 yards. I did a bunch of drills and some easy freestyle, then my friend Scotty showed up. He was doing some interval 200s and was starting to struggle, so I decided to pace him a bit. I did the last 100 with him (that's about how far I can keep up with him when he's doing his fast 200s. We finished right about the same time and he said "whoa, you're flying... what's up?" I didn't really think anything of it, but he said our split for that 100 was about 1:20. That's really fast for me. On his next 200 I told him I would swim the first 100 and the last 50 with him. I came in at 1:18, a new PR for me. Anyway, I managed to help motivate him through the rest of his set and get some unexpected speed work in; it was fun. I finished the day with 3000 yards.

Saturday, I swam a slow 5000... my distance day. I probably came in at 90 minutes.

Today, feeling a little stiff from the last few days, I went in to swim some EZ freestyle just to loosen up. I met Scotty again and since we're doing the WI Masters SCM meet next Saturday he agreed to help me with my starts. Now that I have the flip turns down it is time to add the final piece so that I don't embarrass myself too badly at my first meet. I've never gone off the blocks before at the pool (and I haven't started from any blocks whatsoever since my high school track days--25 years ago this spring!). Scotty was really good about giving me pointers, so now I'm not as intimidated by going off the blocks. I decided I wanted to know what the difference in time might be between going off the blocks and a push start, so we timed a 50 free. I came off the blocks OK, nothing spectacular (but no belly flop either) and nailed the flip turn at the other end... other than that I just tried to relax and keep my turn over high. I hit the wall and Scotty said :31. That's five seconds faster than my fastest 50 free (that I can remember), so I was pretty stoked about that. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do in the meet with a racing start off the blocks.

GTD: I'm at more than 496 miles for the year now. Still in the top 20 for age group and closing in on the 500-mile goal!
    Categories
    Uncategorized