Blog Comments

Mixes things up a bit compared to doing 10 of this or 5 that. The faster guys mix strokes and kicks into their sets and vary intervals, but I can't keep up with all of that. So, this sort of accomplished the sam for me.
    Interesting sets. I'll have to try them out.
    Yeah, that's a lot of yardage for a warm pool. Make sure to rehydrate over the next day or so.
    90 degrees? Time to break out the umbrella drinks and wait for the jacuzzi jets to crank up.
    I imagine you are looking forward to having some warm weather again.
    Only for OW season to start back up
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I am a bit late, but gotta say I was impressed with your swims at Auburn. As Leslie always says, "distance kills speed." Even though you have been doing a lot of endurance-based sets, sometimes IMHO it zaps away the ability to pace a 200 or 500 at a higher tempo. Also, not having a ton of meets to compare perceived effort to actual time makes it difficult to find a strong, fast pace just below all out. A great meet all around, especially when taking into consideration some of the trials your last year has brought.
    Thanks for the comments. I imagine you are looking forward to having some warm weather again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    I think it's tough to build speed, work on pacing, and improve all the strokes at the same time... it's pretty maddening actually. Looks like the high volume helped your pace, endurance in that 1650. I'm trying to work on having a little bit of everything in my workouts every week, but at some point you have to decide where your focus is going to be (the 50-100s; the middle-d; long-d).

P.s. I'd love to be swimming your times going into our state meet in a month, but--sigh--it won't happen this year!
    I am still amazed at the IM work you are doing. I am limited to a couple of 200 IM's because I can't swim more than a 50 fly once or twice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Nice meet David! You had a lot of time drops. The 2IM is a tough one no matter where it is scheduled in the meet. Great job!!
    I appreciate it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job! Lots of improvements as well. Maybe one day you'll add a 200 Fly to the mix
    But I gotta figur out how to swim a 100 fly first.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    With your aerobic base you are certainly ready for the quality sets, so just a friendly comment from my experience doing quality sets to make sure you have a good warm-up, and after each strong or hard effort set, warm down well before the next one.
    I appreciate the feedback and advice. I don't often warm up enough before going into my first set. And I only do the warm downs or easy 100 between sets when I am swimming with others doing them. So I gotta do better. Same with enough rest between sets. I have a tendency do a set. Stop. Figure what next. And go. Now I am trying to convince myself to forget about 600 miles this year, swim 4000 - 4500 yard workouts and swim harder. Or least do one shorter, sprint workout each week.
    I am a bit late, but gotta say I was impressed with your swims at Auburn. As Leslie always says, "distance kills speed." Even though you have been doing a lot of endurance-based sets, sometimes IMHO it zaps away the ability to pace a 200 or 500 at a higher tempo. Also, not having a ton of meets to compare perceived effort to actual time makes it difficult to find a strong, fast pace just below all out. A great meet all around, especially when taking into consideration some of the trials your last year has brought.
    With your aerobic base you are certainly ready for the quality sets, so just a friendly comment from my experience doing quality sets to make sure you have a good warm-up, and after each strong or hard effort set, warm down well before the next one.
    I think it's tough to build speed, work on pacing, and improve all the strokes at the same time... it's pretty maddening actually. Looks like the high volume helped your pace, endurance in that 1650. I'm trying to work on having a little bit of everything in my workouts every week, but at some point you have to decide where your focus is going to be (the 50-100s; the middle-d; long-d).

P.s. I'd love to be swimming your times going into our state meet in a month, but--sigh--it won't happen this year!
    Nice meet David! You had a lot of time drops. The 2IM is a tough one no matter where it is scheduled in the meet. Great job!!
    Nice job! Lots of improvements as well. Maybe one day you'll add a 200 Fly to the mix
    You have trained hard and will do great. Good luck.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Thanks!!!
    Have a blast this weekend and go fast!
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am fortunate to swim with several guys who are much better than I. I'll never catch them but they keep me going.

I keep looking at your times. They keep improving and you are not that far behind. A year ago, I was doing similar intervals and times. Plus, I would wear out doing all the additional exercise you do.

Keep it up!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast