Blog Comments

Does ice relieve symptoms briefly? If so it might be need a lot more rest. Pain must always to be avoided no matter what
    Hiya Steve -

Yes, I have been able to do some weight training in addition to all the PT band exercises, with some limitations. I was basically advised to keep my arms in front of me, no wide-grips, and limit the overhead stuff that involves external rotation. Definitely no shoulder presses or flys. Usually I incorporate some weights to my PT routine - I'll do seated and bent over rows, lat pulldowns (narrow grip), bicep curls, and a couple other ones I can't remember right now lol. I did have a similar routine prior to surgery as well, believe me I tried a lot of things to get my shoulder to stay it its socket before the surgery!

Unfortunately, weight lifting does no good if your nerves cannot properly communicate with your muscles to tell them how to function normally. I think the next step for me is to figure out what the heck my nerves need - maybe somehow they are getting compressed (maybe due to inflammation), or something is preventing them from fully healing for some reason or another.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes! PT and weight training will definitely be part of my general maintenance plan from now on.
    Are you cleared to try weights for resistance training?

I also have muscular imbalance between the left and right upper body. Not necessarily due to nerve trauma (I hope), but from left side weakness in the joint's structure after numerous dislocations and relocations throughout the years.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I can vouch that since I started weight lifting years ago, I have not had a single incident (dislocation), 2001 was the last time it happened. Furthermore, without weight training, I probably would've never attempted to try swimming for fitness, and then compete.

Though I do get numbness and needle pain in both hands (good shoulder side has also suffered traumatic events), I am still able to maintain some function. My stroke is quite asymmetrical, but I try to keep it within the limits of efficiency.

Can't claim weight lifting will work for other cases, and in fact it can be dangerous, but I am certain it has helped me substantially.

Good luck Slick, hope you conquer your setback.

Sincerely steve
    I have a rotator cuff tear and may need surgery and was looking up forums on surgery, when I found your blog. I'm currently going to PT for it and my PT is a Master's Swimmer. His coach is my orthopedic doctor. One thing I can tell you that your PT is wrong about is that you should NOT enter thumb first. I was told to stop that since it involves internal instability due to loose joints. He even sent me an article on swimming stroke mechanics for PTs that mentions the same thing. So even though you were told this months ago, it's not too late to change. You wouldn't want to injure yourself again. But I think you figured that out and I am needlessy blathering on about this.
    Thanks for the well wishes!
    I understand having shoulder problems. I had surgery about 7 years ago and quite swimming and when I got back in I was alternating between an ice pack and a heating pad for the first 6 months. Wish you the best!
    No problem - glad to help!

Distance, eh? Just be sure to listem to your body. I thought I would be able to maintain a mere 10-12k per week at this point but turns out that was unsustainable for me and I hit a huge wall. I'm in the midst of a semi self imposed 2 week break now (part of that time is vacation/travelling) and I will be starting over yet again when I get back! I think it will be good though...shoulder should benefit from the extended break I hope.

Good luck with your surgery!
    Thank you for your posts. I will have shoulder repair on August 7. I too am concerned with the amount of time I'll be dry. I am a long distance swimmer so any time out is a bummer. Luckily, my surgery is scheduled after my 8 mile swim across Wisconsin's Lake Geneva and based on your progress I can set my sights on Chicago's Big Shoulders for next year.

I can identify with your swim stroke advice PT experience. Mine tried to convince me to swim fly with my thumbs down for the entire stroke.
    thank you everyone!!!
    This is most excellent news! Great job, especially with so much swimming!
    Awesome meet slick!
    Fantastico! What a great moment for you having struggled so long to regain your swimming. This really celebrates your determination and perseverance as an individual and a swimmer. So happy for you and hope that you can continue to make steady gradual progress to keep doing all those important rehabilitative activities to preserve as well as improve your current status.
    why thank you!!!
    indeed!
    Hi Steve! Thanks! I'm swimming the 50/100 free, 50/100 breast, and all 4x50 relays. I am hoping I can keep the intensity in check so I don't overkill the shoulder :/ I sandbagged my entry times pretty well so hopefully it works out!
    I empathise with your frustration as I can relate. Our joints rudely let us know when we are taking advantage of them

Sounds like a good plan to let it recover fully before the meet . What events do you plan on doing?
    Good luck at your meet and take it cautiously
    I empathise with your frustration as I can relate. Our joints rudely let us know when we are taking advantage of them

Sounds like a good plan to let it recover fully before the meet . What events do you plan on doing?
    Good luck at your meet
    Thanks Slick,

I have some reading to do
    thank you fdtotten! that is another thing that i love so much about the snorkel. since you don't have to worry about breathing, you can really pay attention to all those subtle swimming skills. i don't think i've ever been so aware of my body in the water since using the snorkel i do feel that i will benefit in the long run from all of this. thanks again for the well wishes!
    2000 yards - that is terrific, what an encouraging progress report - thanks for sharing. Your determination and persistence are really something! Just wanted to say that whatever the previous swimmer that you were, you certainly appear to be progressing on your way again and perhaps more.

Think of yourself eventually progressing beyond your previous swimmer self, not necessarily in terms of training volume or times, but more so evolving forward in those subtle efficient swimming skills, as well as balanced shoulder strength, body core, & flexibility development, in part due to your recovery, adaptation, and then ongoing prevention management in regards to the shoulder surgery.

The snorkel was a great ROI for me too, so I am very glad that you found even more benefit as it helped you to get to this point. Keep up your daily effort just as you said, no rush, for steady gradual progress is the best and safest.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast