Blog Comments

Doesn't sound too terrible. I know that I would love to do this instead of my current morning workouts haha. I would have warmed up a little more though. Do you feel you were fully warmed up just from a 200?
    thanks jswim...
    congrats on being 'out of the woods'! I don't know what happened, but returning to normal workouts without having to worry about an injury has to be pretty exciting!

cheers,

love the screen name by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    This guy right here knows that you are going to give it a go - just start with a shorter swim this summer to get used to it. I am hoping to swim the 10 miler under 5 hours, so your job is to find an event under 1 hour (anything under 2.4 miles - Ironman distance). Than rock it out, bro!
    I'm probably going to do a 1.5 mile swim in the first of second weekend of September in Lake Chelan, WA. The trouble with most OW swimming is that it's right in the middle of my big work season of the summer, and I have little chance, if any, to actually get in the water to swim. And I AM NOT going to throw myself at the mercy of whatever out there in OW when I'm not in "swimming shape". Safety first!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    who knows if I'll ever use them in real life again.
    This guy right here knows that you are going to give it a go - just start with a shorter swim this summer to get used to it. I am hoping to swim the 10 miler under 5 hours, so your job is to find an event under 1 hour (anything under 2.4 miles - Ironman distance). Than rock it out, bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I really enjoyed the Open Water issue - usually the focus of the early spring magazine.
    Is that what that was that came in the mail a few weeks ago? It was written in some foriegn language...

As far as training, head over to the online coached workouts and see which of these two strike your fancy:
    Mallory Mead - OW or
    Sara McLarty - Triathlons <-- I think jadams went to a clinic she was putting on a few months back.
    I did learn a few things from her clinic, but who knows if I'll ever use them in real life again. OW just isn't my thing. And I figured since she was right here in town, it couldn't hurt to head to the pool and join the clinic.
    I really enjoyed the Open Water issue - usually the focus of the early spring magazine. They reviewed some items on page 40 when they highlighted the importance of hitting the open water: these ones here are supposed to work well and not get in the way too much (I plan to order one this year - I'm going off a friend's recommendation).

As far as training, head over to the online coached workouts and see which of these two strike your fancy:
    [ame="http://forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100"]Mallory Mead - OW[/ame] or
    [ame="http://forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php?f=122"]Sara McLarty - Triathlons[/ame] <-- I think jadams went to a clinic she was putting on a few months back.

I try not to swim alone, and am fortunate that a group of folks gets together every Wednesday night from late April through September in the Berkshires - a lot of fun exploring the lakes as a group. The big thing for me is getting over the mental obstacles that come with swimming in the middle of a lake, but I am loving it more each year. Two years ago I did a 2.4 mile swim, last year 10 km, and this year I am signed up for a 10 mile swim. It is great if you can find some one to kayak with you as well ...