Blog Comments

Ande, we have a "visitor" from Austin this week...Liz Moorehead swimming a couple days with us!
    Impressive 150s on Thursday! Were the 100s @ 2:30 yards or meters?
    It was tough
    though I could have hit it a bit harder
    That sounds like major lactic acid!
    I noticed a few days ago that it looks like you will be AA in the 4IM this year in all three courses, SCY, SCM and LCM.
    Cool

That 10k you did sounded really horrible. 'glad you got the record, but your report confirmed what I already suspected; don't mess with that event!
    The 10K I swam on Sat Aug 20th 2011 was horrible. The 1st 5k felt great and the last 2.5k was a serious struggle. It was horrible, I'd never been that exhausted.

It looks like we are just about the same age. I'm 48 in 2012, 49 in '13 and age-up in 2014. I too would like to do really well at the top of the age-group, then reap the benefits when I age up. I'm not sure aging-up will help my event ranking though. We get to escape Chris Stevenson for a year or two, but then we are in the same age group as Clay Britt. There sure are a lot of sharks in the water.
    We are pretty close in aga. Clay is fast, he had a great 50 LCM back this year (28.8) but I think he's been injured, his training's spotty, he's got a young family, and several of his times were off.

For 50 - 54 men seems that Steve Wood is the backstroker to beat. He broke a lot of records this year. I spoke with him a a month or so ago. Said he's lifting 2 or 3 times a week and swimming 3 times a week, focusing on sprints.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    you asked if I'm "Training for some longer events"
    my best events are the 2 & 4 IM
    so I need to be in decent shape to get it out fairly fast with out getting hurt then be able to hammer it home
    Indeed, I noticed a few days ago that it looks like you will be AA in the 4IM this year in all three courses, SCY, SCM and LCM.

but I'm not planning to do any postal swims or any races over 800
    That 10k you did sounded really horrible. 'glad you got the record, but your report confirmed what I already suspected; don't mess with that event!

I do need to lose weight. ideal is probably 195 &
    I weighed 218 after practice today this past season I raced around 222 but weighed 230 a week before my meet.
    plus in 2012 I'll be 49 then 50 in 2013. So it's smart to get really fit right before you age up.
    sometime in 2012, I'd like to weigh less, get stronger and FASTER
    It looks like we are just about the same age. I'm 48 in 2012, 49 in '13 and age-up in 2014. I too would like to do really well at the top of the age-group, then reap the benefits when I age up. I'm not sure aging-up will help my event ranking though. We get to escape Chris Stevenson for a year or two, but then we are in the same age group as Clay Britt. There sure are a lot of sharks in the water.
    Not sure, I'll ask him
    Hi Karl,
    "Is this by design?"
    kind of,
    I just showed up and did the practice with just a few mods, didn't wear fins

I just finished SCM & SCY meets aren't till Late Mar & Late Apr

you asked if I'm "Training for some longer events"
    my best events are the 2 & 4 IM
    so I need to be in decent shape to get it out fairly fast with out getting hurt then be able to hammer it home
    but I'm not planning to do any postal swims or any races over 800
    I do need to lose weight. ideal is probably 195 &
    I weighed 218 after practice today this past season I raced around 222 but weighed 230 a week before my meet.
    plus in 2012 I'll be 49 then 50 in 2013. So it's smart to get really fit right before you age up.
    sometime in 2012, I'd like to weigh less, get stronger and FASTER
    2 rounds of
    400 on 4:40 right into
    4 x 50 on :40 done 25 fl 25 fr right into
    300 fr on 3:30 right into
    3 x 50 on :40 done 25 bk 25 fr right into
    200 fr on 2:20 right into
    2 x 50 on :40 done 25 br 25 fr right into
    100 fr on 1:10
    Ande, you seem to have increased the quantity of short-rest interval training in your workouts. Is this by design? Training for some longer events, building aerobic base early in the SCY season, weight management, just for a fun change??
    "my counter Beth Rasmussen used tyler blessings new hour swim Iphone app."

I am interested in letting my counter use this app for the 2012 1 hour postal...is it available to the public?

Thanks!
    I'm done going postal
    Making plans for 2012
    will probably keep training for 50 - 500
    But put a higher focus on sprints as meets draw near
    That set is calling me to modify and get out early and talk to the coach about my training.
    20 best average 100s?! What event is that good for? Are you done going postal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Well deserved I would say. SFF is totally fantastic.
    Wow. It hurts to even contemplate this.
    Hey Karl,

Thanks about "Swim Faster Faster"

on the 4 x 100 IM, I must confess I:
    + drilled the fly (which made it much easier,)
    + plus it was descend, &
    + plus I used my standard 400 IM race strategy
    so I worked the breastroke and swam smooth & steady on the rest
    Swim Faster Faster is approaching 300,000 views
    is that crazy or what?

Well deserved I would say. SFF is totally fantastic.

4 x 400 IM desc on 40 sec rest
    Wow. It hurts to even contemplate this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn
    Doesn't surprise me a single bit!
    Congrats Ande
    Hope many more swimmers & coaches learn about your tips in 2012!
    Thank you Ahelee
    We'll see
    I just updated the [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=256434&postcount=1731"]SFF Index[/ame]
    Swim Faster Faster is approaching 300,000 views
    is that crazy or what...
    Doesn't surprise me a single bit!

Congrats Ande

Hope many more swimmers & coaches learn about your tips in 2012!
    had a few issues with my splitting and the suit.
    This beats having issues with your suit splitting.
    thanks Chris,
    I feel like I messed up my splitting on the 200 IM and that last 75 was so painful.
    slipping sucks, you gotta get a strong start, I was like OH CRAP & very surprised with the 28.5

Hi Leslie,
    Rowdy went on a record breaking rampage and the 4 x 100 medley was the only race we had a shot at.
    I think my best races were the 100 IM & 100 BK lead off, both were big improvements from last year.
    Hey Patrick,
    thank you, I should have been tougher and turned on my kick like I usually do

Thanks knelson

Hi Michelle,
    thank you. Glide touches suck, I've estremely nearsighted (my diopters are over -9.0) I made bad snap decisions.
    Sun went pretty well just blogged it this morning

Hey Jaadams,
    thanks buddy, work on your back and breast.
    anything you do and measure improves

rtodd, Thanks man I'm happier with my 100 IM, it's a big improvement from last year, think I only went 1:03 at Ron Johnston.