Blog Comments

Donna,

Which Y's in the Savannah area offer lap swimming in the mornings? Is the CCAC open to the public in the mornings during the winter months? I will be in Savannah on business in Jan. and need a place to train.

Thank you
    John
    Hi Donna! We could certainly help you out with swimming at home. If you never have, check out our Endless Pool House Tour to see all the options available to you. And when you have a chance, feel free to give us a call at 800-732-8660.

Happy Swimming!
    Too bad we can't bottle up days like you had and save them for a later date!
    Jeff, I didn't start back to swimming until 2004 so I missed that one. Had a fantastic time in Puerto Rico, my first real SWIMCATION! This trip to Mission Viejo is another swimcation with the family in tow.

I will be eagerly waiting for Hawaii to big again!
    We had Hawaii in 2002 (SCY) and Puerto Rico in 2010 (LCM). I like the idea of once in a long while to have a true travel destination Nationals. Attendance at these meets is typically very, very low but those who go usually say they had a blast (I did in Puerto Rico!). But of course you need to find a host who can make it worth their while.

Jeff Roddin
    (Champ Committee Chair)
    I have been meaning to ask how you were doing on your weight goal for Nationals? It looks like you have been working your socks off the past few months.
    Nice job on those 100's! It's a nice surprise to get going on a long set and find that you're getting faster
    That's awesome, keep up the hard work. Where there is a will there is a way! You can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I didn't know there was a "black stopper piece" that was removable. Maybe that's why I've had good luck with mine all these years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I moved to the Y-lon snorkle because it doesn't have the valve the Finis snorkle does. I had the same leakage problem on the Finis. But even now my Y-lon snorkle leaks some. sometimes I'll use gorilla tape to keep the mouth piece from leaking or I will tie something around the mouth piece to make it fit tighter to the body of the snorkle.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs
    It's possible that the purge valve (the black stopper piece) has gone. You can get replacements for that:
    http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/te...lve-black.html
    I want to thank you for this discussion and help. I ordered a new purge valve ($2) and also a new headpiece, $12 (since that was broken as well) and now my finis snorkel is performing well again. Still learning how to do a long underwater streamline from the freestyle flip turn off the walls at sub 30 pace without pushing the snorkel out of place, but otherwise all is good at the moment.
    I swim at the y pool.yes it is always hot.
    no more work outs for me, just swim my distance, once I did a work out, and past out in the locker room. It is called a swimming pool, but not for hard workouts.
    I am happy you can still go fast, happy swimming swimming.
    agreed it was way to warm ... had planned 100 x 50 on 1 but had to stop at 50 as pink is not a color i wear well. switched to 5 sets of 5 x100 on 1 3/4 with a 200 kick "cool off" between each set - worked well, but i hope they lower it a little for tomorrow ( i could tell they were adding water as the level was up by the time i was done) by thur or friday we'll probably rebound to 77 or 78 jack c
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Sometimes when I take that black stopper piece out and refit it back in, it is good for awhile, but the leaking slowly rebuilds.
    I didn't know there was a "black stopper piece" that was removable. Maybe that's why I've had good luck with mine all these years!
    I moved to the Y-lon snorkle because it doesn't have the valve the Finis snorkle does. I had the same leakage problem on the Finis.

But even now my Y-lon snorkle leaks some. sometimes I'll use gorilla tape to keep the mouth piece from leaking or I will tie something around the mouth piece to make it fit tighter to the body of the snorkle.
    Thanks, I will give that a try. Five years - that is terrific! Good job taking care of it.

Sometimes when I take that black stopper piece out and refit it back in, it is good for awhile, but the leaking slowly rebuilds. I was thinking perhaps there is a higher Finis snorkel model that is of better quality. I thought this one the better all-around snorkel, and at first it worked very well, and then by the time I can really use it, I get the leaking problem.
    It's possible that the purge valve (the black stopper piece) has gone. You can get replacements for that:
    http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/te...lve-black.html
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Have you tried wrapping it with teflon tape?

That stinks that it developed a leak so quickly. I've had mine for at least five years and it's still going strong.
    Thanks, I will give that a try. Five years - that is terrific! Good job taking care of it.

Sometimes when I take that black stopper piece out and refit it back in, it is good for awhile, but the leaking slowly rebuilds. I was thinking perhaps there is a higher Finis snorkel model that is of better quality. I thought this one the better all-around snorkel, and at first it worked very well, and then by the time I can really use it, I get the leaking problem.
    Now my snorkel leaks somewhat at the very bottom below the mouthpiece, as I cannot determine a simple fix
    Have you tried wrapping it with teflon tape?

That stinks that it developed a leak so quickly. I've had mine for at least five years and it's still going strong.
    I am glad that you find the snorkel helpful for you, and hope that will continue.

I got a snorkel about a six months ago where over time I was able to do flip turns with the snorkel and then swim the main sets using a snorkel with hard effort. It really does help to sustain quality body position, front end stroke execution, and strong kicking. In addition I find the snorkel very useful for swimming the breast and fly for kicking, drills, sculling, and the full strokes. In butterfly, after some practice I was able to do the fly with two kick body undulation without submerging the snorkel.

Now my snorkel leaks somewhat at the very bottom below the mouthpiece, as I cannot determine a simple fix, I will order a new one soon. It gets tiresome to have it slowly fill up with water interfering with breathing, and then have empty out every 200-300 yards.
    It took me a while to figure out how to do flip turns with snorkel and no nose clip, but can now do it well.

I took advice from one of Ande's threads and now do the majority of my kicking with the snorkel and kickboard; it seems to simulate higher body position (like in a race with my Yingfa suit on) and helps me to tweak my kick ever so slightly to be more powerful and efficient as opposed to plain old kicking with the board.
    He did a great clinic for us. About 25 masters attended the clinic
    Good job! That's cool that you got some advice from Rowdy.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast