View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 148 - Saturday

by , August 1st, 2015 at 07:19 PM (After a long rest)
    Last night my daughter had a meet and we did not get home or eat until 9pm last night. I was feeling very tired. I slept great last night and woke feeling much better. The pool was setup scy again this morning for the second day of the meet.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    8x50 drill/build on 1min
    4x100 at 200 race pace on 2:30
    5x200 pull on 2:45
    8x50 done as 25 no breath underwater on back fast, 25 easy with fins on 1min
    50 fast with fins

Warm down
    400 easy

I believe I picked up a cold on my trip to Orlando and despite taking some decongestants my chest was pretty tight and I have a niggly little cough. Despite having a little challenge breathing on the fast set I generally felt good in the water. I felt smooth on today's 100s and went :53,:54,:54,:54. Tom took my splits and said I was really even per 50. I was very happy about these! The 200s I went very smooth and used them as active recovery; I ended up descending the 200s, starting at 2:15 and dropping to 2:05 by the last round. The 50s with fins were fun and we did these as a group with lots of laughing and joking. One of my team mates suggested doing the 50 fast and I went :21/:22 with fins. I then took a really slow easy warm down in the baby pool while the madness associated with the kids meet erupted around me. This was the last meet of the season for the kids and there were hundreds and hundreds of kids swimming in the pool within seconds of us finishing the 50 with fins.

I am really hoping that an easy weekend with some decongestants will clear up my cold and I will be ready for the meet on Thursday. I am having a really good taper and I believe I am going to have a great meet next week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 148 - Friday

by , August 1st, 2015 at 07:18 PM (After a long rest)
    I got back to the house from Orlando at around 7pm on Thursday night. My wife was not feeling so great so we ordered pizza and had dinner and went to bed pretty early. My daughter had a swim meet on Friday and Saturday and my son had a long week with marching band so everyone was tired. It was great to see everyone and catchup on the weeks happenings.

I slept well. The pool was setup scy.

Warm up
    400 free
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    8x100 kick on 2mins done odds fast and evens easy
    4x(4x25 on :40 done as open, close, easy, fast)
    100 easy
    5x100 IM on 1:40 odds drill even swim

Warm down
    10x50 smooth perfect stroke on 1min

Most of this workout except the open,close and fast 25s and 2 of the IMs. I went 1:09 on the first fast IM and 1:04 on the second. I felt good today but came back from Orlando with a chest cold.

After practice we went out for a team breakfast and I caught up with everyone.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 148 - Thursday

by , July 30th, 2015 at 03:16 PM (After a long rest)
    Once again I swam with the central Florida masters team. Today was at a fitness center at central Florida hospital in celebration. The pool was 5 lanes but each Lane was nice and wide and the lane I was in was about 6'6" the whole way. I had a lane to myself again.

Warm up
    500 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45
    200 IM

Main sets
    3x(2x100 done as 100 afap, 100 easy, 2x50 done as 50 afap, 50 easy, 4x25 done as odds afap, evens easy, 50 easy) round 1 & 2 free round 3 back

Warm down
    300 pull easy
    200 IM easy
    100 kick easy
    50 double arm back easy

I had trouble hitting my stroke count on the warm up but did not put 2 and 2 together until the main set where I started out with a 1:04 on the fast 100 free that the pool was SCM and not scy. On the fast 50 I went 28 and on the 25s I was 14s. The coach on deck was giving me splits but I don't remember the tenths. The fast swims went straight into the easy swims with no rest and we regrouped at the end of each easy swim. I would guess we were getting 20 seconds rest between the easy and fast swims.

On round 2 I was much quicker than round 1 and went a 59 high on the fast 100, 27 on the 50 and 14s on the 25s. On the back I was 1:06, 33, and 15 lows. I was really happy with the last 2 rounds and felt strong.

I don't ever remember having had stroke issues on scm but I somehow hit 10 1/2 strokes on free instead of my 9 that I typically do scy. I also noticed that the flags and the T on the bottom of the pool were really close to the wall. Despite these little challenges the pool was great and the temperature was awesome.

I have been feeling a little congested the past couple of days and backed off after 3 rounds of the main set even though everyone else did another round and a shorter sprint set after that. I am heading home tonight and can't wait to sleep in my own bed and really get back to a routine the next few days. Travel can be tough and this trip for some reason was tough.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 148 - Wednesday

by , July 29th, 2015 at 11:15 AM (After a long rest)
    Yesterday I traveled to Florida and had a really early flight to Orlando and was unable to swim due to the flight and work commitments.

Today I swam with central Florida masters at Windermere prep school an outdoor 25scy pool with little to no outdoor lighting. The pool was a nice temperature. I felt tired before I swam despite not swimming yesterday but felt ok in the water.

Warm up
    200 free
    200 pull
    100 kick
    200 IM

Main sets
    1x50 at 200 race pace
    1x50 easy
    2x50 at 200 race pace
    1x50 easy
    3x50 at 200 race pace
    1x50 easy
    4x50 at 200 race pace
    1x50 easy
    200 pull easy
    5x100 from block done as 25 afap, 75 easy
    400 pull easy

Warm down
    4x25 no breather, as many strokes, as few strokes, underwater on back
    100 easy

This was interestingly different from normal. Lots of stopping and starting and no clocks with the coach telling you when to go and what your splits were. I held 27 lows on all the fast 50s with 10 seconds of rest between fast 50s and 20 seconds after the easy 50s. I was 10s on the fast 25s. I swam everything else aerobically.

Updated July 30th, 2015 at 03:16 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 148 - Monday

by , July 27th, 2015 at 10:17 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a VERY lazy day yesterday including a 3 hour nap and then went to bed early last night and had an awesome solid night of sleep. I woke this morning feeling great. Today was a longer aerobic workout. The pool to my surprise was setup LCM; I was expecting say and was pleasantly surprised to see the pool, as LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    5x300 on 4mins done as odds build, evens DPS
    4x200 streamline back kick on 3mins with fins
    16x50 on 1min done as odds easy free, evens fast tempo backstroke

Warm down
    100 easy

I worked the 300s and was holding 3:21-3:24 on the odds and 3:30s on the evens. These felt really strong! On the kick I cruised these and worked my underwaters and I held 2:30s. The 50s set I used the odds as active recovery and I worked the even 50s back. I tried going further than normal on the underwater with strong dolphin kicks and then held a higher than usual tempo as instructed.

I hope I continue to feel better as the rest kicks in.

Updated July 28th, 2015 at 07:07 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 147 - Saturday

by , July 25th, 2015 at 10:35 AM (After a long rest)
    So yesterday I would have used the word "hideous" to describe how I felt in the water and today it was a new day and I felt "smooth". Isn't it a funny sport how you can go from feeling so bad to feeling oh so good in 24 hrs. I am still not feeling easy speed but we are still 10 days out. Today felt like I am on track for a great Nationals. I will keep telling myself that anyhow!

Today was setup scy due a special Olympics at the pool later in the day.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45

main sets
    12x50 build on 1min
    8x100 on 2:15 at 200 race pace or better
    4x(150 kick on 2:15, 50 under water on :45) with fins

Warm down
    8x50 on :50 DPS

i held :29s very comfortably on the build 50s which I was happy with. On the race pace set I swam this as best average rather than race pace and held :54/:55s throughout. I felt smooth. The kick and 50s DPS were swum very easy as active recovery and warm down.

I I am going home to ice the knee and then have an easy couple of days before another long week next week in Orlando. If anyone has ideas of places to swim LCM I would appreciate some input. Thanks.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 147 - Friday

by , July 24th, 2015 at 09:52 PM (After a long rest)
    I was tired this morning and I think my work week caught up with me. The pool was setup LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    10x50 kick on 1min
    6x100 back on 1:45 getting heart rate up
    3x(4x50 with fins on 1min done as open, close, easy, fast)
    4x100 with paddles working on DPS

Warm down
    200 easy

i used my snorkel on the kick set and did streamline kicking, on the back I felt hideous but went 1::15-1:17s. On the open, close, easy fast I felt better and on the 50 fasts went 25s(with fins). The DPS I was holding 27 strokes per length. I felt pretty crappy today as I often do as we come down in distance.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 147 - Thursday

by , July 23rd, 2015 at 08:57 AM (After a long rest)
    I had another night where I woke up at 2am and could not go back to sleep. Yesterday was another long long day and I was whooped when I went to sleep. Today is my last dry land and it was very easy followed by a nice easy swim.

Weights
    3x(vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on the machine, :30 rest)
    2xshoulder bands and light weights focused on rotator cuff on left shoulder joint.
    1x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50
    4x50 open,close, easy, fast on 1min with fins
    200 easy

my right knee is still giving me some discomfort both in and out of the water. It's much better than it was so fingers crossed it's on the mend. The bands are really helping with my shoulders and I have not had any discomfort from them in a while. Getting older sucks. I am trying to enjoy the journey but these little niggles along the way get old.

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 147 - Wednesday

by , July 22nd, 2015 at 08:37 PM (After a long rest)
    I went to sleep really fast last night but woke at 2am needing to go to the bathroom but somehow made the decision I did not want to get out of bed and lay there for an hour before getting up and not going back to sleep. I swam ok today and felt pretty decent in the pool. We did our normal Wednesday race pace workout with a small change and a really long high intensity kick set. I was pooped at the end today but happy with my performance. The pool was setup LCM.

Work is still really tough and I have a lot of balls I am trying to keep in the air and it's very emotionally draining right now. I meet with my boss on Friday and hope to get some of his input on some of my business challenges.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    4x100 IM on 1:45 with instructions to go smooth but start to elevate our heart rates
    3x(4x50 on 1min at 200 race pace, 100 easy on 2mins easy)
    100 easy
    400 kick with fins on 6mins
    300 kick with fins on 4:30
    200 kick with fins on 3mins
    100 kick with fins on 1:30
    4x50 fast kick on :45

Warm down
    100 easy

On the IMs I held 1:20s and felt pretty smooth. On the race pace set I was faster and easier/smoother than the past two weeks holding :30/:31s throughout. Most were solid :30s. I was pretty tired at the end of the set. The kick I did streamline back kick and really worked my underwaters. I may start playing with a nose clip in practice and try it in some scy races next season. I feel like my underwater are getting better on my back. I held 1:15 pace so got lots of rest. On the 50s kick I was holding :30s which felt really strong.

I plan on doing a single round of abs tomorrow and an easy loosen up type swim. Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 147 - Tuesday

by , July 21st, 2015 at 09:48 PM (After a long rest)
    Today was a crazy crazy day with lots of local driving, incredibly hot weather and non stop meetings. I am only now slowing down to write up this mornings workout. I slept great and my knee is feeling much better and the ice the past few days has taken all my swelling down. I don't specifically know what I did but I had some swelling and pain on the right rear of the knee that runs through the knee, right to left. Today I really backed off the abs and even supported my right leg while doing abs so I did not put any extra stress on my knee. I also reduced the swimming today and felt much better as a result.

Weights
    3x(vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on the machine, :30 rest)
    2xshoulder bands and light weights focused on rotator cuff on left shoulder joint.
    2x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    200 back easy

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 147 - Monday

by , July 20th, 2015 at 08:47 AM (After a long rest)
    Once again I had a good night of sleep but was very stiff when I woke up. My right knee is still giving me some problems and took a while to get loosened up today.

The he pool was set LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    12x50 free with snorkel on :50 getting heart rate up
    5x100 on 1:25
    4x100 on 1:20
    3x100 on 1:15
    2x100 on 1:10
    1x100 on 1:05
    200 easy
    12x50 on 1min done as odds back drill, evens back
    4x(100 kick on 2mins, 50 kick afap on 1:30)

warm down
    200 easy

On the warm up I felt hideous but started to feel better on the transition set. The water was warm again today and I felt more fatigued than usual on the 5,4,3,2,1 set. I held 1:07s throughout. I was really happy with this set; just wish I felt better. I had to dig deep on this set. I tried catching my breath on the back set and used it as active recovery. On the kick set I was holding 1:50s on the 100s and :42/43s on the 50s. This should be the longest we go for a while and I feel like I just went over the top of the big hill I have been climbing for several months. We should now be coming down for nationals. I iced my right knee after practice and hope it gets back to normal soon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 146 - Saturday

by , July 18th, 2015 at 10:10 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep and was not as tired as earlier in the week. The pool was setup scy today due to a USAS meet at the pool.

Warm up
    600 free with snorkel
    12x50 on :45 odds dps, evens build

Main set
    3x200 IM on 3mins
    12x100 on 2:15 best average

Warm down
    400 easy

I felt long and strong on the warmup. Our water temperature and air temperature in the pool were hotter than normal and I struggled as I started to ramp up the effort staying cool. On the 12x100s I was holding :56/57s which is good but I felt hideous. Towards the end Tom reminded me I am starting to taper and it is ok to adjust based on how I feel. For a first days taper workout this felt awful, but at least the yardage was down.

Tomorrow is a rest day!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 146 - Friday

by , July 17th, 2015 at 07:22 PM (After a long rest)
    I went to bed early last night and I felt a little less tired today. Today was setup LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    12x50 kick on 1min
    8x100 on 1:30 descend 1-4 with snorkel
    4x(50 on 1:15 done as 25 fast 25 easy,100 on 2mins done as 25 easy, 50 fast, 25 easy,50 on 1:15 done as 25 easy 25 fast
    12x50 kick on 1min
    10 backstroke starts working pull-up and arch off blocks.

Warm down
    100 easy

I felt pretty decent in the water today and was able to really crank on the 50,100,50 set. We worked some back starts at the end and through video I see a lot of areas to improve. I noticed I look like a hunched up old man when I pull-up on the block as opposed to a big strong backstroker. The video showed what I suspected which was I don't pull up and launch out of the water but rather push through the water like a water break. I am excited I took a look and already have a few things I am going to work on. My underwaters have improved a lot this year but still have a long way to go.

We swim scy tomorrow due to a meet at the pool which sucks.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 146 - Thursday

by , July 16th, 2015 at 09:10 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a decent night of sleep but was unbelievably tired this morning. I am continuing to take Allegra and wonder if it is behind my tiredness. I also was pretty sore today in the upper body. My back and shoulders in particular. I have not taken a day off for a couple weeks and likely need a rest day.

Weights
    5x(vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on the machine, :30 rest)
    4x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    2x(6x50 open,close, easy, fast, kick, kick, on 1min with fins)
    200 easy

i was on my own again this morning and it was hard being tired doing all of these abs. Somehow I got through it and by the end was soaking wet as usual.

My parents have been visiting for just over a month now but unfortunately they head home next week. We have had a lot of fun and the older I get the more I appreciate what my parents have done for me. They are two of my best friends and I love them dearly. It's awesome to see my kids and wife having fun with there grandparents and in-law's. I am a very lucky guy to have such a great family.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 146 - Wednesday

by , July 15th, 2015 at 09:04 PM (After a long rest)
    I have meaning to blog this mornings workout all day but had a busy work day and lunch with my wife, kids and parents and then got side tracked.

I had had a good night of sleep last night and felt good today. The pool was setup LCM. Stephanie Stone who normally trains in Plano, swam with us this morning and it's always fun when she is there. We did our 50s at 200 race pace today and as usual it hurt really bad but I felt better and performed better than I have in a few weeks.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

main sets
    2x(100 kick on 1:45, 100 kick on 1:55, 100 kick on 2:05, 100 kick on 2:15 with goal being to hold the same time throughout)
    4x100 free with snorkel build on 1:30
    16x50 at 200 race pace on 1min
    200 easy
    4x50 DPS free on 1min

warm down
    100 easy

on the kick I started out at 1:35 but managed to hold 1:40s consistently throughout the rest. This was a great kick set for me. I have not been close to this previously. The free my held 1:15s and tried recovering my legs ahead of the race pace set. On the 16x50s I held :31s until the last one where I dropped to :29/30. I was whooped but I was also pleased with holding my goal time. I start tapering tomorrow. I believe I have one more trip before Nationals and hopefully I will have an uneventful taper.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 146 - Tuesday

by , July 14th, 2015 at 10:18 AM (After a long rest)
    I was congested yesterday buthad an ok night. I took an allergy pill this moning and hopefully I can get on top of my allergies before they affect me too bad. I was on my own this morning and it was hard to stick with it(but I did).

Weights
    5x(vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on the machine, :30 rest)
    6x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    12x50 open,close, easy, fast on 1min with fins
    200 easy

We have three more tough workouts and then we start to taper. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Bring on the taper!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 146 - Monday

by , July 13th, 2015 at 01:59 PM (After a long rest)
    I had an early night last night and woke feeling pretty good this morning. In fact I was surprised I was not stiff and sore like yesterday, but I was not. I did a nice long warm down after my swims yesterday and I am pretty sure that helped. Today was a longer aerobic workout.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    3x(400,300,200,100 on 1:20 pace)
    16x50 kick with fins on :45

Warm down
    100 easy

I got into the main set and was able to hold about 1:12 pace throughout. On the kick I held :34s kicking on my back and felt pretty good.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. USAS Meet Day 2

by , July 12th, 2015 at 04:04 PM (After a long rest)
    I decided to scratch the finals last night and focus on being a dad. As much as I like racing I also thought this is a lot of kids main summer meet and as such me taking a finals spot was not the right think to do. Instead I had fun watching my daughter swim and have fun. Despite being slightly slower in her final she had a lot of fun.

I had a good night of sleep but this morning seemed to come too early. I did my normal warmup with some pace 50s and felt a little stiff. I notice this as a master when I swim multiple days where I get stiffer as the meet goes along. When I was younger I could do day after day with little to no ill affect. The mind still says I can do it but the body is fighting as hard as it can. Never mind. From here on out its a battle of mind over body.

Today I swam the 100 back and the 50 free. I felt really strong on the 100 back until about 85 meters and the last 15 hurt pretty bad. My splits were good although I think the second 50 could have been .5 or so faster if I had not tired. I went 1:05.6. I was pleased with this. Some rest and it will be interesting to see how fast I can go at Nationals. I have not swum a LCM back since I have been back, so I have nothing to compare this against which is actually kind of fun!

I was looking forward to the 50m free and thought I would have a good race. I had a great start and felt strong the whole way but when I looked up I went 26.2 which I was disappointed with. Tom said I had a great first 25 but my tempo dropped on the second 25. Despite the slower time I still had fun. Like last night I scratched the finals and will be dad again at finals tonight. My daughter is swimming the 100 back.
  19. USAS Meet

by , July 11th, 2015 at 09:47 PM (After a long rest)
    This weekend I am swimming in a USAS meet with my daughter. I am swimming Saturday and Sunday while my daughter swam all three days. I must admit I was jealous of her and would have loved to do the 100m free and the 400m free yesterday; alas I had to work.

My daughter who is 11 has had an awesome weekend so far doing best times on everything she has swum; 50 back, 100 free, 400 free, 200 free, and 200 back. In particular her 2:46 LCM 200 back was awesome dropping another 3 seconds from her entry time. It was great seeing her have fun with her friends with about 10, 11-12 year old girls dancing on the bulkhead ahead of finals.

I swam the 200free and the 200 back and did masters best in season times on both going 2:07.1(I thought I saw 2:06.9). Amazing how just the wrong side of 2:07.0 makes such a difference. I would have really like 2:06.9. My splits were great. My 200 back I went 2:21.7 which was over 3 seconds faster than I did at the this meet last year and again my splits were strong. I am swimming the 100 back and 50 free tomorrow. I plan on really attacking both events!

I start my taper at the end of next week which I am looking forward to. My endurance seems pretty good right now and I am really looking forward to some fast swims in a few weeks.
  20. Week 145 - Friday

by , July 10th, 2015 at 08:53 AM (After a long rest)
    I managed to catch an earlier flight home from Miami and got back to the house around 6pm which was great. I have been feeling a lack of motivation recently towards work and despite this trip being successful I am struggling with the road lifestyle and the sales role I am living. On all the personality tests I have ever taken I have been a high type A personality and have been to,d I am a strategic thinker. In my current role I am not doing any strategic thinking and honestly I find the role boring and unchallenging. I enjoy meeting prospects, love our products and know this is what I have to do but somehow after a successful business trip feel no excitement. On the flight home yesterday I wrote my resignation letter and emailed myself. This is about the third time in the last 6 months I have done this and each time I have found it therapeutic but one of these days I am going to hit send to my boss. I think the next 6 months are going to be quite important to what I do next year and beyond. I can't do this role much longer! I spoke to my boss about this at my last annual review but I don't see an end in sight. I don't want to be that unmotivated individual who resents work; that's not me, so I need to make some decisions.

I I was really tired this morning in the pool and actually experienced leg cramp throughout the workout which probably means I am dehydrated. The pool was setup LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on 1min

Main set
    2x(3x100 free with snorkel on 1:40 descend 1-3, 3x100 back on 1:40 descend 1-3)
    100 easy
    16x50 kick with fins on 1min alternating streamline back kick and dolphin kick on back
    4x200 fast back on 3:30

Warm down
    200 easy

I went pretty smooth on the 100s going 1:17,1:15,1:12 on the free and 1:18,1:16,1:15 on the back on both rounds. On the kick I worked the streamline back kick and held :30s. On the 200 backs I went 2:41,2:39,2:38,2:35. As Tom told me I just made the girls 11-12 200 back qualifying time 4 times

i have aver a long day ahead of me and then the meet this weekend. I would like to watch my daughter swim today but alas that's not going to be possible. Hopefully she will make finals this weekend and I will have fun watching her. If she finals I will withdraw from any finals I make and watch her instead!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast