View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 121 - Saturday

by , January 24th, 2015 at 01:17 PM (After a long rest)
    Practice was at 6am this morning instead of our usual 7am slot due to the district high school meet at our pool. I had a great night of sleep last night and despite today being the 16x100 race pace set which I have a love hate relationship(I love the affects at the end of the season, and I hate swimming it because it brings a whole new meaning to pain) with I was excited to go to the pool this morning.

We we had a good turnout today and most lanes had 2-3 people in them. Unlike how we usually train the pool was setup for the meet so we swam length wise as opposed to cross wise. At time this can make it challenging to hit turns at the bulkhead end of the pool but it's good to get some practice with this setup.

Warm up
    4x200 descend 1-4 on 3mins with snorkel
    8x50 overkick on 1min
    6x100 pull with paddles on 1:20 getting heart rate up

main set
    16x100 free at 500 race pace on 2mins

warm down
    200 easy

i held 1mins on the pull set and felt pretty long and relaxed today. On the 16x100 I mentally have been breaking the set into 4 groups of 4x100 which has really helped with mentally not getting too far ahead of where I am and mentally quitting. Today I was mr consistent going 56/57 throughout. This is so far from an easy set but somehow I am getting the hang of how to swim this set and we probably need to reduce the send off time by 10 seconds. I believe this is the 3rd time in a row I have made all of these at or faster than my goal time.

After er swimming I did a double yoga class. Both were primarily stretching focused but I did work up a good sweat and felt pretty good by the end. I really like doing the yoga after I swim and using it as a way to stretch and work on core. I really want to do the power yoga but it does not work with my home life schedule(or at least that's what my wife tells me&#128515 so I have not fought that battle and instead enjoy what I can do.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 121 - Friday

by , January 23rd, 2015 at 10:24 PM (After a long rest)
    Once again I had a long day yesterday but slept well last night and woke feeling more rested than the rest of the week. I really enjoyed today's workout.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45

Main sets
    6x100 kick on 1:45
    4x(4x25 free AFAP no breather on :40, 100 IM on 1:30, 200 free build with snorkel on 3mins)
    12x50 overkick counting strokes on 1min

warm down
    200 easy

On the kick set I was holding 1:25s. On the fast 25s I was holding 13/14s to my feet. On the IMs I descended by round going 1:10,1:09,1:08,1:05. On the 200s I felt pretty strong and worked from pretty easy to fast and held 2:08s-2:10s. On the overkick set I felt really good and held 11 strokes per 25 and held 29 pace throughout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 121 - Thursday

by , January 22nd, 2015 at 09:20 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a massage last night and my masseuse said I had more knots on my back, lat's and neck than she had ever seen. After 90 mins of beating me with what felt like a bat I finally started to loosen up. I slept great after the massage but woke tired.

When I got to the gym this morning I was not feeling great but still went for it. In fact after my workout it even took me a few hours to really start to feel myself.

Weights
    10 mins vasa swim trainer
    3x(bench press, inclined bench press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, military press, lat pull downs hands inside, lay pull down hands outside, lower back extensions) 10,10,10 reps by round with increasing weight, 80%, max, fail
    15 mins of abs done as 2x(flutter kick, crunches, leg extension, planks, flutter kick) 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off

Swim
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 kick on 1min
    200 easy

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 121 - Wednesday

by , January 21st, 2015 at 11:54 AM (After a long rest)
    Yesterday was a horrendous work day with an entire day of back to back to back meetings. I had a headache again and was almost a zombie last night. The trouble I have with my meetings is that they are with different people and companies and on different things and I feel like I am juggling too many balls. My to do list is crazy right now and I need to get some time on my calendar to do followup activities. Arrrrgggghhhh!

i was really tired this morning. Again my legs in particular but surprisingly my arms were also really heavy and sore. I guess I am using my arms with a lot of the leg machines and I know the link in my upper back is probably related to my arms and really giving weights my all. Needless to say I was not looking forward to the effort required to swim race pace today but I tried putting all negative thoughts out of my mind when I hit the water for the warmup.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    3x(100 fly on 1:50, 100 kick on 1:50)
    16x50 on 1min swim at 200 race pace finishing with a turn
    200 easy
    12x25 under water no breath on :40
    12x50 on 1min swim as 12.5 underwater dolphin kicking, 12.5 overkick, 12.5 underwater dolphin kicking off wall,12.5 overkick

Warm down
    200 easy

i used the fly and kick set I treated as a get my heart rate up transition set and held 1:07s on the fly and 1:25s on the kick. On the race pace 50s I held :27s throughout. I really had to work right out of the gate to get to :27 and even harder to hold it finishing with a turn. Today hurt.

On on the rest of workout I did exactly what I was instructed to do but swam pretty easy.

Tomorrow ow I am likely on my own in the morning due to other guys work schedules. I will work Abs hard and likely continue beating on my legs.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 121 - Tuesday

by , January 20th, 2015 at 10:25 PM (After a long rest)
    Work is really busy right now and I came home with a headache last night and was also really tired. I slept really well but I was still tired when I woke and it was hard getting going this morning.

We still don't really know what's the full diagnosis with my daughter and she has to wait two weeks before they Give her a hard cast and decide on what to do next. It's a fracture but the extent of the fracture is the part they are debating. So right now she has a soft temporary cast.

One of of my team mates who is an awesome swimmer and medaled at worlds with very little training texted me last night concerned about my daughter, which was very nice. During the text exchange it became clear that he is really motivated about spring nationals and he said he was going to lift with our group on Tuesday and Thursday's. This morning he beat me to the pool and was there before 5am. We had a great weight workout and I am excited to have another team mate getting excited about nationals.

Weights
    3x(leg press, leg extension, lunges, squats, leg curls) 10,10,10 reps by round with increasing weight, 80%, max, fail
    15 mins of abs done as 2x(flutter kick, crunches, leg extension, planks, flutter kick) 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off

Swim
    400 free with snorkel
    4x100 kick on 1:45
    200 easy

My legs really hurt today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 121 - Monday

by , January 19th, 2015 at 09:58 PM (After a long rest)
    Another crazy weekend of ups and downs. I had a lot of fun at the USAS meet on Saturday which was a big up, followed yesterday with my daughter fracturing her elbow which was obviously a big down. She is likely out 6-8 weeks but it could be longer. We will know more in a couple of weeks when she has to go back to the orthopedic surgeon. She is in a lot of pain but there is some debate as to the extent of the injury and it could be deep bruising over a growth plate and not a fracture. Either way it's just another bump she has to deal with which sucks. The good thing is she is still young, 11, and will heal quickly.

This morning I was tired from the weekend and there were not many of my training group at practice which actually made it quite hard to push hard throughout the workout. Despite this I did my best and it was an ok workout all things considered.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x(300 pull with paddles on 3:45, 100 kick on 1:45)
    16x25 on :30, open, close, easy, fast by 25
    5x150 swum as 100 strong, 50 at 200 race pace on 2:30

Warm down
    200 easy

i held 3:05-3:07s on the 300s and 1:25 on the kick. On the open(first 12.5 fast second 12.5 easy), close(first 12.5 easy, second 12.5 fast) I was holding 15s. On the fast 25 I was holding 12-13s. I did all of these with a turn. On the 150s I was trying to go out in 1min for the first 100 and come back in :27 and from what I could see was able to do this. Sort of weird today how I actually felt better as the set went on today. Overall I was sore and a little achy today but not much different from how I thought I would feel after the meet.

My my next planned meets are the USAS Champs meet and the DAM masters meet in Dallas on 28th Feb. At the masters meet I am considering doing a couple of off events including the 400IM and the 200IM. I may also possibly swim the 1000 free which I am likely not going to swim at Spring Nationals to see if I can get a Top Ten time.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. 2015 Greater a Southwest Invitational USAS meet

by , January 17th, 2015 at 03:22 PM (After a long rest)
    This was my taper meet last January where as this year I am just swimming it and other than an easy weights session on Thursday have not backed off at all for this meet this year.

When signing up for the meet this year I tried aligning my swimming schedule with my daughters and assumed her 200 back would be on the same day as my 200 back. As it turned out her only qualifier is the 200 back and she is scheduled to swim tomorrow where as my 200free and 200back were today. It's sort of weird that the 11-12 events are on different days to the 13-14 and 15&Over. I guess it is what it is.

I had little to no expectations for the meet and even had some second thoughts about swimming yesterday when my daughter was still feeling sick. She has been sick on and off for the past 6 weeks which sucks. I decided to swim and put all the negative thoughts to one side and told myself I would go for it today.

This is particular meet is a really fast meet with many teams from around the country in attendance including, Phoenix, King Aquatics, Kansas, etc. I was entered on my taper time from early December and with circle seeding was in the final heat. I felt pretty good on the race and other than a slow 3rd 50 had a great race coming in at 1:48.94, with splits of 25.48, 27.69, 28.25, 27.52. I placed 13th and made the B final tonight. This is my best time in season by about 2 seconds and I felt good. I had about 45 minutes between the free and my back and tried to get a loosen up but the lanes in the warm down pool were crazy busy. I ended spending most of the 45 minutes just swimming gently.

I was feeling tired before the 200 back and noticed that the sun was really strong in the lane I was in. On the heat before mine I noticed the kid swam in the middle of the lane and had the sun in his eyes the whole way but noticed that there was a strip next to lane where the sun was not as strong and decided to hug the lane line to avoid the sun. My method sort of worked but as I got tired On the last 100 I had a few moments where I drifted and was dazzled by the sun. No big deal. I ended up going 2:02.00 with splits of 28.77, 30.58, 31.41, 31.24 which is a masters best for me. I was really tired after this one but again qualified for finals in 11th place.

I am off home to get some food and a short sleep before eating again and heading back to the pool for finals.

------------

i took a great nap between heats and finals but woke feeling like I had been run over by a pickup truck(several times). I guess I did not warm down enough after heats.

I had a good warmup in the finals session and loosened up pretty well. On the 200 free final I was out quicker than this morning by almost a second and felt it really badly on the third 50 and by the 4th was hurting really bad. I ended up going 1:50.39 which I was upset with. I need to work on picking up my race time so I can be quicker on the first 100 and need to be able to hold it. I plan on working on picking up my race pace time by .5 second per 50 in practice. Obviously this is easier said than done.

Between the free and back I did a much longer warm down and actually felt a little better by the time to swim the back. Despite being about a second slower than this morning I got into a race with kid next to me and won the B final in 2:03.05. I was again disappointed with the time but it was fun to get into a race and come out in the right side of the finish. One of my team mates was in the the lane to my left and he congratulated with well done Stewart and I reached over to the kid on the right to congratulate him and he shook my hand and said "great swim sir". 😄 The B finalist winner gets an armadillo cuddly toy which I gave to the young kid and he was grinning from ear to ear. He dropped 5 seconds from his entry time to his final time and he deserved it.

Despite not swimming as fast as I had hoped tonight I had a lot of fun and it's nights like tonight that reinforce what I love about swimming; even the bad swims are awesome fun. I love this sport!

Updated January 18th, 2015 at 09:39 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 120 - Friday

by , January 16th, 2015 at 09:51 AM (After a long rest)
    Tom keeps telling me feeling in the pool is overrated and today was a prime example. I felt like complete dodo but actually was swimming quick. I have a little chest congestion which never helps. Luckily it's a loose congestion and just catches me every once in a while when you feel something move and you have to cough(enough on that because we all know how gross chest hacking can be). Today the pool was really crowded. First the pool is setup for the meet today with 2x25yd pools with a couple of extra warm down lanes between the bulkheads plus the baby pool. As such there were less lanes than normal. The meet this weekend is going to be huge and is also heats and finals so there are no normal kids workouts today or tomorrow. As such some of the kids not swimming this weekend in the faster groups swam from 5-7am. Add in the two high school groups of kids who normally swim later this morning at 5:30am and then masters and it was really crowded. I know relative to other masters programs we are totally spoilt with lane space but I t's the first time I have had to share a lane in months. Most of the masters lanes had 4 or 5 swimmers and my lane had just two of us and as such I definitely can't complain. The lanes are really wide when setup for the meet but with all the swimmers it was pretty choppy again by our standards.

Today was was a mix of aerobic, fast aerobic and race pace.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    500 with paddles no bouy on 1:20 base
    2x250 with paddles no bouy on 1:20 base
    5x100 with paddles no bouy on 1:20 base
    descend by round
    20x25 on :30 with a turn swum at 100 race pace
    6x50 on 1min swum as 25 fast counting strokes, 25 easy with 3 less strokes than first 25

Warm down
    200 easy

I held 1:22-1:23 on the kick set but felt pretty awful; tiredness and sore quads. On the 500 with paddles I went 5:11 which I was really surprised at because I felt pretty easy. It helped having someone fast in my lane as my rabbit to catch. On the 2:50s I went 2:35,2:33 which again I felt awful on. I was having a hard time hitting my turns at the bulkhead end for some reason which throw everything off each 50; like I was starting from stationary each time. The 100s I was holding 59s and had the same feeling of being just urgh. On the race pace 25s I gave it my all and held 13s with a turn which in reality may have been a little quicker due to sighting challenges with the clock. So really I am swimming ok but just feel pretty crappy. Maybe Tom is right on feel being overrated. On the last set I was doing 11-12 strokes at speed and the 9 coming back which almost felt like I was swimming in glue. I get why we are working on stroke count but i think my problem at times is tempo and lengthening just slows my tempo down considerably.

I think I need to talk to Tom a little about my workouts again. I think we are doing some good stuff but our yardage is inching up again and I am tired. I wanted to do some base building at the beginning of this cycle but want to make sure we don't loose sight of what worked before Christmas, less quantity and more quality.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 120 - Thursday

by , January 15th, 2015 at 09:57 PM (After a long rest)
    Today was a weird day. I was tired when I woke up and have been feeling tired all day. At some point during my work day I tried setting up a meeting with someone for Friday which in the context of our conversation sounded like a few days away and someone gave me a funny look and asked, "you do know that Friday is tomorrow right", to which without even thinking I asked what day was it. For some reason I had it in my head that today was Tuesday and that I was planning a meeting at the end of the week, which somehow in my head was three days away. I don't know why ,but somehow this week has just got away from me. I have a lot going on at work right now and I think it's playing into my tiredness.

This is morning I did swim bench and abs and then did a very easy swim.

Weights
    10 mins of abs done as 2x(flutter kick, crunches, leg extension, planks, flutter kick) 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off

Swim
    400 free with snorkel
    4x100 kick on 2mins
    6x100 free on 1:30
    300 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 120 - Wednesday

by , January 14th, 2015 at 09:42 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep last night and a decent workout but was a little tired on the race pace set today. We did the race pace set towards the end of the workout and did more faster mid distance work before the set than usual.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    4x200 free with snorkel descend 1-4 on 3mins
    3x(2x100 kick on 1:50, 200 stroke(back) on 3mins
    100 easy
    16x50 free on :50 swum at 200 race pace with a turn at 50

warm down
    5x100 free perfect stroke on 1:30

On the descending 200s I started out on 2:12 and dropped about 3 seconds per 200 and finished on 2:03. This is definitely not slow but felt a lot harder than last weeks descending set. On the kick and back set I was holding 1:25s on the kick and then went 2:10s on the 200 backs. Tom said I was out in 1:04s and back in 1:06s. I did not feel too bad on these and these times are quick for me but I was tired. On the 50s at 200 race pace I was out on :27 on the first 2 but then was 27/28s to my feet on the remainder of the set. I just could not get on pace today. Based on how we swim this set strictly I should have stopped after I missed my first 50 but kept going. I really tried picking up the 50s a smidge to hit my pace but my stroke count went up as I got further into the set and just did not have it today.

I have a kids meet this Saturday(the Greater Southwest Invitational - this is the meet I tapered for last year) and I am swimming the 200 free and the 200 back. My daughter(11) is swimming on Sunday somi get to compete and also be Dad this weekend. I am going to back off on weights tomorrow and instead will do more of a loosen up swim.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 120 - Tuesday

by , January 13th, 2015 at 09:50 PM (After a long rest)
    I was congested last night and could not stop coughing so took an alkaseltzer nighttime decongestant. I slept like a baby and don't think I moved at all during the night. This morning I felt pretty good and I enjoyed my weights and recovery swim.

Weights
    3x(leg press, leg extension, lunges, squats, leg curls) 10,8,6 reps by round with increasing weight, 80%, max, fail
    10 mins of abs done as 2x(flutter kick, crunches, leg extension, planks, flutter kick) 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off

Swim
    400 free with snorkel
    6x100 free on 1:30
    200 easy

I worked my legs pretty hard today and I am very sore.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 120 - Monday

by , January 12th, 2015 at 09:49 AM (After a long rest)
    My daughter did not have a very good meet on Saturday adding times to all her swims; she just looked tired. One really bright spot on her 50 back was for the first time ever she swam high tempo back but unfortunately could only keep it going for 25. After the turn she went back to her 500 backstroke tempo😊. In my mind she is still a star and I am so proud of her. Despite her personal challenges it was great to see her smiling on deck and cheering her friends on.

On my side I was physically beat after the race pace set on Saturday and had to grab numerous cups of coffee to stay awake. I was beat. The feeling continued the rest of Saturday but yesterday I felt much better. I had a pretty restless night of sleep on Saturday night and again last night. Serves me right for talking about how good sleep had been going I guess. Anyhow, I arrived early this morning and it was just as well because all the lanes were out of the pool due to diving yesterday. Myself and one of my team mates put the lane lines back in and I still started swimming at my normal start time. I felt smooth and strong in the warmup with no real aches and pains for a change. Today was our aerobic day.

warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    8x100 kick on 1:45
    12x150 pull with paddles on 2mins descend 1-4,5-8,9-12
    100 easy
    12x50 on :50 IM swum fly back, back breast, breast free, free fly by 25
    8x50 perfect stroke counting stroke on 1min

warm down
    100 easy

i felt good on the main sets and held 1:25s on the kick. Then on the pull set I went 1:33,1:31,1:29,1:27,1:32,1:31,1:28,1:27,1:31,1:29, 1:27,1:25.

I really felt good as I descended the 150s and for the first time in a while felt easy at these speeds. The IM set I swam pretty smooth concentrating on turns and staying long on my strokes. On the stroke count I was holding 10 strokes per 25 on free until the last one where I was able to do 9 strokes and was going easy holding :33s. It still amazes me how easy a :33 feels but how hard a :27 feels. I get it, but it always feels like the extra effort far outweighs the speed improvement. Overall I felt really good today although as I write this I have a small twinge again in my left shoulder. Nothing bad but something I again need to keep an eye on.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 119 - Saturday

by , January 10th, 2015 at 11:41 AM (After a long rest)
    I had another good nights sleep but again was achy when I woke up. I suspect this is the new norm for me. In particular my quads, lats and tris were sore. I also have a knot in my back which I can visibly see and suspect I am due a massage to pound on it.

Today was our 16x100 race pace set.

Warm up
    500 free with snorkel
    400 IM stroke drill by 25
    300 free with snorkel
    200 IM
    100 kick in back
    200 easy

Main set
    16x100 on 2mins swum at 500 race pace. If you miss your pace skip 1 and get back on it.

Warm down
    400 easy

On the race pace set I held 55/56s through the first 9 then slipped to 57s which I held the rest of the set. This was the second time I have made this set and suspect we need to reduce the send off to cause failure. There is no other way to describe this set as hellacious. I hate it I hate it I hate it. It takes everything I have to stick to it and not rest or back off when I am tired. I mentally break the set into 4x4x100 and try as best as I can to only think of the 4 I am on. This helps not thinking too far ahead and getting overwhelmed but it's still really tough. Without my team mates around me I am sure this set would not be possible for me.

After swimming I was supposed to lift but it was pretty pathetic today. I did some vasa swim trainer for about 5mins. My lats hurt after the swim today so I did pat pull down with lighter weights really slow to try to stretch out and then did some abs. Not really a workout today but I was happy with my effort in the swim so I will take it.

My daughter has a meet today so no yoga. I am swim dad instead
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 119 - Friday

by , January 9th, 2015 at 09:57 AM (After a long rest)
    I had another solid nights sleep(this must be a record for me because I have not had a bad night in weeks now). I awoke muscularly sore but nothing I can't live with. It was a little warmer this morning with temps right at freezing and I bundled up in my Parker, hat and gloves which helped. I felt pretty crappy on the warmup once again but loosened up and by the main set I felt pretty darn good.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main set
    12x50 with fins, no breather with a turn and first stroke followed by one breath on second 25 on 1min
    3x(2x100 fly fast on 1:45, 200 free fast on 2:40, 100 easy on 2mins)
    100 easy
    12x25 no breathers fast on :30
    100 easy
    12x50 kick on 1min

warm down
    100 easy

the no breather with a turn and first stroke 50s were quite a tough transition set and I was winded after this set. On the flys I was holding 1:05s and tried swimming these as relaxed as possible and maintaining a long stroke. The 200s I went 2:07,2:03,1:59 by round and felt awesome on the last 2. In fact I swam these trying to even split each 100. The fast no breather 25s were to a hand touch and I held 13s. The kick was good today and I was holding :37/:38s throughout and again felt good. I wish I could bottle the good feeling today and use it tomorrow on the 16x100 race pace set.

I am tired but the lifting and easy swimming on Tuesday and Thursday seems to be working and I generally feel really good in the water.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 119 - Thursday

by , January 8th, 2015 at 09:46 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep last night and slept pretty heavy. It's cold in Dallas this week and it was hard getting up knowing I was going to have to leave the warmth of the house. Today was lifting and a recovery swim.

10 mins of vasa swim trainer
    3x(bench, inclined bench, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull down hands inside, lat pull down hands outside)
    10 mins abs done as 2x(flutter kick, crunches, leg extension, plank, flutter kick)

My legs were still hurting this morning and I decided to give them a rest so went upper body today. I was again like mush when I hit the water.

20x100 with snorkel on 1:30
    200 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 119 - Wednesday

by , January 7th, 2015 at 08:31 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep but fell asleep with my iPad on my lap and woke around 11pm with a kink in my neck. Luckily it had gone when I woke up but I had leg aches and pains from lifting yesterday. Today's workout was tough and again longer than has become typical with our race pace training.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    6x200 with snorkel and cardio cap on 2:40 descend 1-3 and 4-6
    100 easy
    16x50 on :50 swum at 200 race pace
    200 easy
    8x75 kick on 1:20

Warm down
    10x50 perfect free on 1min

I felt awful during the warmup but felt much better during the main sets today. I have a slight pinch in my left shoulder when I swim at slower speeds. I feel very old with aches and pains all of a sudden. On the descending 200s I went 2:10, 2:06, 2:03, 2:08, 2:05, 2:03. I was surprised how good and strong I felt based on how bad I felt during the warmup. On the 16x50s I started out on :26 on the first 2 and then held :27s until the last one where I dropped down to :26. This was much harder today dropping to a :50 send off as opposed to 1min. This is more inline with usrpt and it's one hell of a set. The kick set was pretty high tempo today and I was holding 1:02-1:03s on the 75s. The perfect stroke warm down was a very welcome surprise. I was expecting fast 100s from the block. I don't think I have been so pleased to swim slow in a long time.

Updated January 7th, 2015 at 08:58 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 119 - Tuesday

by , January 6th, 2015 at 09:19 PM (After a long rest)
    I continued to watch the "Search for Lost Giants" series on the History channel app on my iPad last night. Last nights episodes were as equally as interesting but unfortunately I fell asleep towards the end of episode 4 so will re watch it tonight and hopefully watch the last two episodes. I slept great but was tired when I woke this morning. Today was my lift and easy swim day. This week I am doing 10,8,6 reps by round and trying to lift heavier than last week. I once again primarily focused on my legs.

10 mins of vasa swim trainer
    3x(leg press, lunge, leg curls, leg extension, squats)
    10 mins abs done as 2x(flutter kick, crunches, leg extension, plank, flutter kick)

I managed to get back to my lifting weight from before SPMS today. My legs were fried by the time I did my easy swim today.

400 swim with snorkel
    4x100 kick on 1:45
    6x100 with snorkel on 1:30
    300 easy

I am tired.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 119 - Monday

by , January 5th, 2015 at 02:17 PM (After a long rest)
    I stayed up a little later than usual last night watching a history channel show on my iPad called "Search For Lost Giants". I still had a great night of sleep and woke up ahead of my alarm this morning. Todays workout was longer than usual and probably the most yardage I have done since worlds.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on :45
    100 easy

Main Sets
    3x(3x300 pull descend 1-3 on 3:45)
    300 IM
    6x50 swum as 25 fast no breath free, 25 drill on :50

Warm down
    200 easy

This was basically our 10x300's set swum slightly differently. I struggled getting going today but after the first 2 I seemed to get into a rhythm. On round 1 I went 3:15, 3:10, 3:06, Round 2 I went 3:07, 3:05, 3:03 and on Round 3 I went 3:06, 3:04, 3:02. I was pretty sore after these and basically swam through the IM although 75 fly after all the pulling was kind of interesting. On the kick I held 1:25-1:27s. The 25 fast no breathers I was going 14's. This workout was swum in about 75 minutes so 5k is a lot of swimming in a short time.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 118 - Saturday

by , January 3rd, 2015 at 05:36 PM (After a long rest)
    We had friends over for dinner last night and I had a late night by my standards; 9:30pm. Despite the late night it was fun for all but my kids in particular had a great time, having a nerf war.

We had thunder storms roll through last night and my wife took care of my dogs, one of whom gets really freaked out by thunder and lightening. My poor wife had a terrible night but I did not even know it had rained let alone had thunder and lightening until I woke this morning.

I have been lifting hard this week with focus on legs and my legs are really sore and tired as a result. I had been dreading the 16x100s swum at 500 race pace and to,my great pleasure Tom decided to do something slightly different today but in hindsight it may have actually been harder than the 16x100 set.

Warm up
    600 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x100 kick on 2mins best average
    4x100 free on 1:30 swum aerobically
    4x100 free on 1:45 swum as 500 race pace
    4x100 kick on 1:50 active recovery
    4x100 kick on 2mins best average
    4x100 free on 1:30 swum aerobically
    4x100 free on 1:45 swum as 500 race pace
    4x100 kick on 1:50 active recovery

Warm down
    400 easy

The main set was hard. On the first round of the fast kicking I held 1:20s but my legs were really tight. On the aerobic 100s I held 1:05s. On the race pace I held 57s. On the second round of fast kick I held 1:22s and again 57s on the race pace 100s. Overall a good workout but I think in hindsight I was damned no matter the set today. Both the 16x100 and the 32x100 were hard.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 118 - Friday

by , January 2nd, 2015 at 10:30 AM (After a long rest)
    One of the couples on our team had a New Years day party and most of the team attended along with many of my daughters team mates and parents. It was fun! I went to bed early last night and slept through the night. Today was a little different to normal and I am exhausted.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    12x50 kick on :50
    1x100 free on 1:05, 100 easy on 1:45
    2x100 free on 1:05, 100 easy on 1:45
    3x100 free on 1:05, 100 easy on 1:45
    4x100 free on 1:05, 100 easy on 1:45
    5x100 free on 1:05, 100 easy on 1:45
    100 easy
    4x(2x25 free no breather on :40, 50 kick on :45)
    100 easy
    200 from the block AFAP

Warm down
    200 easy

I was holding 40 on the kick set and felt ok. i held 1:01-1:02s on the main set until #2 of the last round where I missed #3 but dug deep on #4 and #5 and made the send offs going 1:03/1:04. We have not done this type of set in a while and it was really tough. The free no breather followed by the 50 kick fast was really tough also. I held 14s on the 25 free and then 40 on the kicks. The kick to no breather transition was particularly tough.

After the 100 easy Tom asked us to hop out which translates to something fast from the blocks. I was not expecting a 200 and after a couple extra minutes of rest my mind was telling me not to do this, however I fought the urge and gave it my best. Tom told me he wanted a 1:51 which I knew was going to be really tough after all the aerobic pace work today. I had a good start but started to hurt at 50 which is not a good distance to start hurting when your doing a 200. I tried working the middle 100 and the tried holding on during the last 50 but by that point my stroke had started to fall apart. Tom was calling out times and I went 1:54 which all things considered today I was happy with.

My mind started to wander today during the main set towards tomorrow's race pace set of 100s which is always a killer. Thoughts and mental images of San Antonio will need to carry me tomorrow because as I write this I am officially pooped. Lifting yesterday did not help and my legs are very heavy.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast