View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Week 81 -Friday

by , April 18th, 2014 at 01:31 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night’s sleep but woke feeling very tired and sore as I have done all week. This morning’s workout was incredibly tough and I probably should not write this because my mother reads my blog and she will worry, sorry Mum. Towards the end of the main set I felt very disoriented and dizzy. I did not black out but I am pretty sure I was quite close. I think my heart rate must have been high and I am guessing my blood pressure was low(it’s the only thing I can put this feeling down to) and my vision started to narrow almost like I was in a closing tunnel. I managed to get through the set by shaking my head and taking deep breaths and ended up having a great workout. I have had this feeling before and it is a scary feeling. Aftre my Coopers Clinic visit a month ago I am certain I am ok and just pushed too hard. I really am ok, I think I just pushed myself to my physical limit and perhaps a little beyond….nothing new there right?

Warm up
    400 free
    6x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
    4x with fins (2x50 kick fast on 45, 100 AFAP on 1.30, 2x75 fly drill on 1.15)
    400 free easy
    12x100 free on 2mins best average

Warm down
    8x25 on 40 easy

Total 4000scy

On the set with fins I held 29s on 50s kick and then went 53,52,51,50 by round on the 100s free and then went 55s on the fly drill. I used the fly drill as active recovery. I was feeling very stiff after the warmup but loosened up after this set and actually felt tired after these fast kick and free swims.

When Tom gave us the 400 easy after the set with fins I knew we were in for a really hard second set. I was not expecting a long best average set. I had a great set but hurt after round 3 and it just got worse as the set went on and I did not let up at all. I held 56s on all of the 100s, except #7 and #11 where I went 57 and 58. By #9 I started feeling tunnel vision and had to start shaking my head and moving after the swim to clear my head before the next 100. I was more than happy with a 56 average on this set. This was slightly slower than the last best average set of 100s we did but we did 4 more this time so will definately take this one. I started 15 seconds after everyone else and tried using them as a target to catch. This was a huge motivator on every 100 and Bill and Nikki both commented afterwards how they swam good sets by trying to not let me catch them. This was a win win. Several swimmers also mentioned feeling like they were going to be sick and hanging in the gutter during the set. This was really tough, and perhaps the hardest set of 100s I have done. I had nothing left. Even now, several hours later I am feeling this workout.

Tom promised tomorrow be a recovery but he has been known to throw in a surprise set after a day like today so watch this space.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 81 - Thursday

by , April 17th, 2014 at 02:06 PM (After a long rest)
    The past two days I have been walking around like an old man and I mean a really old man, as a result of lifting and focusing intensly on legs on monday night. Last night my legs still hurt pretty bad but in my insane mind decided to work on my legs yet again. I added a few back exercises just because I could not do legs only as a result of being in so much pain. Lets just say I had tears in my eyes on the first round of exercises. In particular the leg press exercises felt like someone had pushed hot pokers into my thighs and I literally had tears coming down my cheeks. I powered through the first round and this helped to loosen me up and by the 3rd round actually lifted the same amount of weight I did on monday with only moderate discomfort. We did the normal 3 rounds of 10,8,6 reps at 80%, max and fail per round.

3x(left leg extension, right leg extension, left leg curl, right leg curl, leg press, lunges, lower back extension, lat pull down with hands inside, lat pull down with hands outside)

I did 10 minutes of vasa trainer to finish the workout.

This morning I woke up expecting to face plant as I got out of bed and despite still being in a lot of discomfort felt better relative to how I felt yesterday morning. I headed to the pool normal time and had a long warmup followed by a good pace set and by the end felt really good. My legs still hurt but not nearly as badly as I thought they would. Its my hope that by Saturday I am pain free. Watch this space!!

Warm up
    4x(200 free on 2.40, 3x50 back on 40, 4x50 kick on 50)

Main Set
    15x100 on 1.30 holding 1min

Warm down
    5x100 easy

Total 4200scy

I found the warmup quite tiring today and was hurting pretty bad on round 1. In particular pushing off on turns sucked. I descended by round(not intentionally but I suspect I was loosening up). On the main set I held 59s and 1mins throughout with the exception of the last round where I went 56. I got done before my training partner Bill got done since he was going on a slower send off, so used his last 5 as a longer warm down. It was fun to see him picking up his times with a rabbit(me) slightly ahead of him. I asked him after the 1st one if he was ok with me swimming alongside, because I know it can annoy some people when they are tired to have me next to them. He thanked me profusely for pushing him, so I swam next to him until the last one where I let him have 5 seconds lead and then pulled him back throughout the 100. He went 1.07 on the last one and he was super excited since his hold time was 1.12. His last 500 he was holding 1.10s so his combined add up time was well under 6 mins. I enjoyed this also and used it as a way to get a nice long higher than usual warm down.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 81 - Wednesday

by , April 16th, 2014 at 01:59 PM (After a long rest)
    I was again VERY sore this mnorning. Why is it that the second day after weights hurts more than the first. In fact this morning I was so sore I almost locked up getting out of bed. Luckily I did not face plant on the floor or anything like that.

I got to the pool early this morning and used the time to get in a start swimming early with the thought that I would loosen up; it never actually happened and I just hurt for longer than normal. It was a funny workout because I swam longer than normal but did about the normal yardage for a wednesday workout.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on 45
    8x200 back on 2.40 swum as 75 stroke, 25 drill, 75 stroke, 25 drill

Main set
    3x(75 kick on 1.20, 50 swim on 35, 25 underwater on 40, 25 underwater on 40, 50 swim on 35, 75 kick on 1.20) - Tom said to do 6 rounds as 75,50,25, but that meant kicking without a kick board so I switched it slightly
    100 easy
    4x300 swim on 3.30 holding 1.05 pace with snorkel
    100 easy
    16x25 on 40 holding 200 pace with a turn

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 4500scy

I was holding 1min pace on the kick 75s, 30s on the free 50s and taking one breath on the underwaters and going 21-22s. On the 300s I held 1.05 pace but it felt terrible and I was struggling with push offs due to my leg pain on my turns. The 25s I was holding 13-14s.

I plan on inflicting more pain tonight by working my legs again. As they say, what does not kill you makes you stronger. With under 4 months til worlds I need to pick up my game and work my legs.

I found out this morning that even more of our team will be heading to worlds in Montreal. We will have a group of 8 plus family currently going and its my hope we may get a couple more.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 81 - Tuesday

by , April 15th, 2014 at 01:33 PM (After a long rest)
    I lifted hard last night and my legs were like jello when I woke this morning. The feeling did not improve during my practice and I was very tired pysically today. I am hopeful that the feeling is just a reaction to focusing on my legs more than usual. I am determined to build strength in my legs and know that this will help in the long run, but oh how sore I am right now.

Warm up
    4x(3x100 free with snorkel on 1.30, 2x50 on 1min fast, 2x25 kick fast on 30)

Main set
    6x300 free on 3.30 descend 1-3, 4-6
    12x25 on 40 at 200 pace

Warm down
    300 easy

Total 4200scy

This practice went pretty quickly but I just felt sluggish the whole way through. I was struggling on the 50s during warm up to get any speed, but by the end still felt stiff and sore but had improved. On the 50s in the warm up I was going 29s and 30s, and on the kick was holding 18s. On the 300s I went 3.15, 3.10, 3.06, 3.16, 3.11, 3.05. Unlike when I normally swim 300's I had to fight the whole set to keep this pace, I had no easy speed at all today. On the fast 25s I was holding 13s to my feet.

I am lifting again tomorrow night and will work my legs again no matter how badly I still hurt, but I really hope I am feeling better by then.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 81 - Monday

by , April 14th, 2014 at 09:17 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a decent nights sleep but woke two hours before my alarm was supposed to go off and struggled going back to sleep. I got up and headed to the pool a little early but half way to the pool realized I had given my key up last week because I was out of town and as a result I had to sit outside the pool until the life guard arrived.

The pool was setup for long course again today and I had another good workout today. I generally felt pretty strong in the water. I have enjoyed swimming long course and I am feeling somewhat adjusted already.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 50

Main set
    12x200 pull on 2.40
    10x50 with fins on 1 min swum 25 streamline kick on back and 25 sprint free
    10x50 free on 1.20 swum at 400 pace

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 4300 LCM

I held 2.18-2.20 on the 200s pull and felt good throughout the set. On the 50s with fins I was holding 30s. On the fins at 400 pace I was turning at each 50 and holding 32s.

Tonight i I lifted and focused on legs. I did 3 rounds with 10,8,6 reps per round at 80%, max, fail by round.

3x(leg press, left leg extension, right leg tension, left leg curl, right leg curl, free weight left leg lung, free weight right leg lung)

10 minute on vasa trainer.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 80 - Saturday

by , April 12th, 2014 at 10:56 AM (After a long rest)
    I arrived back in Dallas at about 11pm last night and was in bed around midnight. I learned a big lesson when I got home; never give your wife a kiss when it's dark after being away for a week. I bent over to give her a kiss and she woke just as I was doing it and screamed so loud she woke the dogs and the kids. I was surprised she did not slug me. When she got over the fright she asked what I was thinking and despite my best efforts my explanation sounded like the disaster that did occur. The thought was well intentioned.

This morning came way too early and I felt very tired and stiff in the warmup but loosened up as the work out progressed and had an awesome set of 400s pull and a couple of pace 100s today. The pool was setup LCM today.

Warm up
    600 free with snorkel

Main sets
    12x50 on 1min with fins swum as far as possible under water and sprint the rest of the way
    10x50 free on 40 pace
    4x400 pull on 5mins(yes this is correct)
    100 easy
    2x100 on 1.30 holding 400 pace.

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 3800 LCM

On the 50s under water and sprinting with fins I loosened up and was holding 30s. The pace set I was holding 35s. When I heard the send off times on the 400s I just about choked and was given the option to go on a slower send off but decided to try it just to see how well I could do. I was really happy with how I did and felt on this set going 4:43,4:44,4:42,4:40 This is quicker than I swam 400s pull last summer and I think bodes well for a good summer of fast swimming. On the 100s pace I held 1:05s on both and despite them hurting I was very pleased.

After swimming we lifted and did our normal 3 rounds with 10,8 and 6 reps per round going from 80%, max and fail in terms if weight.

We did

3x(bench press, inclined bench press, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull down hands inside, lat pull downs hands outside, lower back extensions)

I finished with 7mins on the Vasa trainer which I always find difficult.

A good workout. I plan on sleeping today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 80 - Thursday

by , April 11th, 2014 at 02:05 AM (After a long rest)
    It's now 11pm pacific and I am so far beyond my normal bed time imam tempted to just stay up and wait for practice. I am very tired and today was a really long day. Despite being very tired I had a good day. I met pwb this morning and we had a really good workout with a superb group. In fact I enjoyed the workout so much I am going back tomorrow. I did not feel very fast today and put this down to general tiredness associated with a very hectic week but had a lot of fun.

Patrick and I swam with Burlingame masters at the Burlingame high school pool, which is yet another awesome California 50m x25 yard pool. We swam scy and despite the water being a little warm for my liking it's really hard to complain when you have such surroundings and at least 6 guys all swimming really quick. It was a great training group.

Warm up
    200 with snorkel
    1x300 free with snorkel on 3:45
    2x200 free with snorkel on 2:30
    3x100 free with snorkel on 1:10

Main set
    2x(400 free moderate on 1:15 base, 3x200 descend 1-3 on 2:25,2:20,2:15, 50 AFAP, 50 easy)
    4x(225 pull on 3mins, 75 free on 1min, 25 AFAP on 30)
    5x100 on 1:30 swum 1,3,5 fast

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 5400scy

I just hit the wall tiredness wise and will finish this post in the morning. Tomorrow is sprint day.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 80 - Tuesday

by , April 9th, 2014 at 12:38 AM (After a long rest)
    I swam in the Santa Monica a Aquatic Center this morning. Instead of swimming with the master I swam in the lap swimming lanes; in hindsight I should have joined the Santa Monica masters. The session started out ok with me being the only person in the fast lane of a great 50m pool but ended with a pretty crowded lane with a woman who wore fins and was all over the place. She even complained when I accidentally clipped her as I passed. This despite kicking me in the face more than once with her fins. Apparently she did not appreciate me clipping her but a fin in the face was ok. Despite being annoyed I counted to 10 and pretty much ignored her. I swam most of my main set pretty well and enjoyed the really awesome pool.

Warm up
    600 free with snorkel

main set
    As many descending 100s starting at 1.30 and dropping a second per 100.
    8x50 kick on 1min

warm down
    8x100 free with snorkel on 1.30

total 4400lcm

i ended up going down to 1:05 which was 26 x100s. A great setup!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 80 - Monday

by , April 7th, 2014 at 09:14 PM (After a long rest)
    I flew out to California for the week this morning and had to miss my normal team workout. I had the opportunity to swim with the NOVA team during there 10am workout prior to my first meeting. I had a great workout and swam with a young guy who recently graduated from USC. The workout was my kind of mid distance workout and it was a blast. I dont think Kevin was expecting this old dude to swim with him and it was good getting some great 500's in today. My only challenge was the pool was outdoor and I forgot to put sun screen on and this lilly white English guy ended up getting sun burnt. Nothing bad but I forgot just how white my skin is and how careful I have to be.

Warm up
    500 easy with snorkel
    500 with paddles moderate

Main set
    4x(500 with a 50 back between 500's) swum as:
    #1 1x50 holding 200 pace on 45, 400 strong on 1.15 base, 1x50 holding 200 pace on 45

#2 2x50 holding 200 pace on 45, 300 strong on 1.15 base, 2x50 holding 200 pace on 45
    #3 3x50 holding 200 pace on 45, 200 strong on 1.15 base, 3x50 holding 200 pace on 45
    #2 4x50 holding 200 pace on 45, 100 strong on 1.15 base, 4x50 holding 200 pace on 45

Warm down
    1000 easy

Total 4000 scy

I was swimming stroke for stroke with the young guy throughout the set; he was half a body ahead of me throughout but on the last set it got even closer. I held 27s on the 50s and 1.02-1.03 pace on the strong swims. I felt good today. I really enjoyed todays practice and everyone was very friendly.

I am swimming LCM in Santa Monica tomorrow morning doing my own workout. My coach emailed earlier and I will be swimming a lot of 100s tomorrow. I am off to dinner shortly and expect to be in bed pretty early tonight!

---Stewart
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 79 - Saturday

by , April 5th, 2014 at 03:21 PM (After a long rest)
    I woke a little later than normal but with still plenty of time to grab a Saturday treat of coffe and an energy bar before I swam. I felt stiff again this morning but loosened up after the warm up and had one of the best main sets.

Warm up
    800 swim with snorkel on 12 minutes

Main set
    4x(3x50 holding 30s on 45, 100 AFAP on 2mins, 2x50 kick on 50)
    5x200 swum aerobically with snorkel on 2:50
    12x25 holding 200 pace on 30

Warm down
    250 easy

Total 4000scy

I held the 30s to my feet on the 50s throughout and then really went for the 100s. My times were 53,52,51,51. I tried working the kick but was coming in on 40s. The 100s from a push I think we're my best times as a master. I was stoked. On the 25s at 200 pace I was holding 13s to my feet.

Overall a really tough week of training but a very successful and fun week.

After practice a group of us did weights. We did three rounds with each round consisting of 10,8,6 reps by round, and done as moderate,max,fail by round in terms of weight. I did bench press, inclined bench press, military press, seated row hands inside, seated rown hands outside, lat pull down hands inside, lat pull down hands outside, lower back incline. I was beat after this workout.

Its now down to three months until we start our taper for masters world championships in Montreal.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 79 - Friday

by , April 4th, 2014 at 10:06 PM (After a long rest)
    I was still very tired this morning but had a good nights sleep.

Warm up
    400 swim with snorkel
    10x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
    8x100 with snorkel on 1.30 swum drill swim by 50
    6x(2x50 kick AFAP with fins on 50, 25 underwater on 40, 25 AFAP no breath)
    100 easy
    4x(100 free on 1min, 75 IM no free on 55, 50 back on 40, 25 free AFAP on 40)
    200 easy
    16x25 on 25 holding 500 pace

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 4500scy

The 50s with fins I was holding 28-29s and on the AFAP 25 I held 10-11s. The 100-75-50-25 was really hard and I was touch and turn upto the 50 and then got about 25 seconds rest before going again. I was holding 58s on the 100s, 53-54 on the IM, 32 on the 50 and 12s on the 25s. On the 16x25 I was holding 14s to my feet. Despite being physically tired throughout todays workout I felt strong.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 79 - Thursday

by , April 3rd, 2014 at 06:32 PM (After a long rest)
    I was very tired this morning and still stiff. I am guessing my stiffness is partly this past weekend and mostly yesterdays workout. Today we did a long warmup and then some pace work. We did a lot of yardage in a shorter amount of time than usual today.

Warm up
    3x(2x200 on 2.40 with snorkel, 3x100 on 1.30 swum 25 drill, 25 free, 25 kick, 25 free)

Main sets
    12x100 on 1.05
    16x50 on 1 min, odd 50s 1 through 8 at 500 pace and 9-16 200 pace, even 50s perfect stroke

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 4300scy

I hurt more than I should have in the warmup and never really got loose. Despite the 12x100s hurting pretty bad I finally loosened up and held 1.01-1.02 throughout. The odd 50's at 500 pace i was holding 28 mids to a touch, and on the 50's at 200 pace I was holding 26-27's to the touch.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 79 - Wednesday

by , April 2nd, 2014 at 12:55 PM (After a long rest)
    My wife finally got to see her dentist yesterday and they fixed the problem with her crown, but her face is now literally black and blue. She was given some pain killers which worked for a few hours but she had a horrendous night of sleep. Me on the other hand, I had a great night of sleep and woke feeling guilty because of this.

Todays workout was REALLY tough and almost half of it was swum as best average. By the end of this I was literally holding onto the gutter trying not to be sick.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
    10x50 free on 40
    8x100 kick on 2mins best average
    200 easy
    6x50 drill on 1 min
    8x100 free on 2mins best average
    100 easy

Warm down
    12x50 drill on 1min

Total 4000scy

The 10x50s I held 31s and used this as a transition set. They felt harder than usual today for some reason but I got my heart rate up . I held my best masters times on the kick set going, 1.17,1.18,1.18,1.18,1.19,1.18,1.18,1.17 for a 1.17.9 best average. Prior to this as far as I can see my best was 1.20. The 8x100 free set was brutal. i felt great through the end of #3 but then hurt really badly the rest of the way and in fact at #5 thought we were on #6. I went 54,55,55,56,56,58,57,56 for a 55.9 best average which again I believe is the first time I have gone under 56 on this set. I am not sure what I could have done to feel less crappy on the second half of this set. The weird thing was that it was not just my legs but rather my whole body. I was fine through the first 50 on most of the back half but locked up earlier and earlier as the set went along. I am jazzed about the best average but this hurt worse than any set I can recall doing as a master. All other sets were swum as a recovery. I am going to feel this workout for a few days!!!

The coolest thing for me today was seeing my team mates(there were about 7 of us strung out across multiple lanes swimming the same sets) all have best times in these sets too. We had a great training group today and it was a lot of fun all of us swimming the same set on the same send offs. I suspect most of my team mates will be feeling this workout for a while too. Way to go RAM!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 79 - Tuesday

by , April 1st, 2014 at 11:39 AM (After a long rest)
    I woke feeling pretty tired today despite a good night’s sleep. My wife was awake when I woke and she has been suffering with a temporary crown that has been hurting since she had it fitted last week. I feel bad that I can sleep solidly no matter what and she cant. She has a dentist appointment today to figure out what’s going on so fingers crossed she will get some pain relief.

Today’s workout was shorter than yesterday but was a hard quality and pace based workout. I had a little muscular discomfort in my right shoulder today so made sure I iced after we finished and it feels pretty right now. I felt quite stiff during the warm-up today but loosened up after the kick set.

Warm up
    8x100 on 1.30 swum as free, back, free, free by 25

Main set
    3x(4x50 kick on 50, 2x100 on 1.30 swum as drill, swim, underwater, back)
    10x50 free on 33 holding 30 or quicker
    12x75 on 1min swum as odds easy just making send off, and evens afap
    10x25 on 30 afap

Warm down
    350 easy

Total 4000scy

I held 30-31 during the 10x50 set. I found this hard today but suspect I am ready to drop another second on this type of set. Tom told me he wants my send off to drop to 30’s on this type of set(he is a great coach because he sees more in me than I see in myself). The 75s were hard, but I held 43’s on the afap 75s and 50’s on the easy 75s. On the afap 25s I held 12’s. I probably should have done these to my feet but by this point I was hurting and forgot this. I was supposed to do a 100 warm down but felt like I needed more so just swam until I made it to 4k for the morning.

I am creating some videos for the seniors at our club teams annual banquet at the end of this month and will be doing some interviews with the coaches tonight so will be back at the pool and will take the opportunity to lift tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 79 - Monday

by , March 31st, 2014 at 04:31 PM (After a long rest)
    I went to bed very early last night after driving back from Woodlands. My stomach felt much better this morning(still not back to normal) but definately not like yesterday. The pool was setup for LCM and we swam a good workout today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 50

Main Set
    10x300 pull swum, descend 1-4, 5-8, with 9 and 10 fast on 4mins.
    10x50 kick on 1min

Warm down
    4x50 drill swim by 25 on 1min

Total 4400LCM

I held 1.10 pace on the 300's and despite my best efforts to descend I just did not have it today so held a nice fast pace throughout. The kick set I held 50s and felt pretty good. I remember last year when swimming long course that kick was always tough on 1min, but this year I still did not feel great but held 50s pretty comfortably.

I am really looking forward to a solid week of training this week and hitting the weight room again. Next week I get to swim with pwb in San Francisco and I will also get to swim at UCLA and Santa Monica which I am really looking forward to.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 78 - Thursday

by , March 27th, 2014 at 08:31 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a late night last night after our user conference which went off great; there is nothing like customers coming in and discussing how they are solving real problems with our solutions. By the time I got home it was gone 10pm and despite sleeping really heavily I woke really tired this morning. I got up but seemed to be in slow mode this morning and ended up being about 10mins late to open up the pool. Today was a meet warm up which again felt pretty good.

Meet Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    4x100 on 2mins holding under 1.25s
    100 easy
    8x50 alternating 50 smooth, 50 fast on 1min
    200 easy

Total 1800scy

I held 1.23s on the kick trying to stay relaxed. On the 8x50s I alternated 1650 and 200 pace and felt pretty good.

Tomorrow we are meeting at the pool and doing a short swim before driving to Houston. Tomorrow night I have the 1650. It will hurt like the mile always hurts but I hope to have a good swim and set a bench mark for Kirk Nelson to chase at Nationals!!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 78 - Wednesday

by , March 27th, 2014 at 08:21 AM (After a long rest)
    Today was a crazy rush. We had our annual user conference going on today and I needed to be in early. Despite my best efforts I was held up in traffic and ended up being a little late to the pre meeting. I had a good nights sleep and a continuation of our drop taper felt pretty good today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
    10x100 free with snorkel on 1.30
    4x(2x50 fast kick on 1min, 100 kick smooth on 2mins)
    200 easy
    6x 25 AFAP on 40 seconds from a push with a turn holding 12 or quicker
    200 easy
    6x25 AFAP on 2mins from the blocks with a turn holding 11 or quicker

Warm down
    200 easy/float

Total 3400scy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 78 - Tuesday

by , March 25th, 2014 at 08:16 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a late night by my standards last night after picking up my new car. I had a great nights sleep and had no alarm issues this morning, although I had to return to the house after leaving my subdivision because I remembered I had the new cars keys and the old ones had the key to the pool. Luckily I figured this out before I got to the pool because that would have sucked. Today's workout was mainly aerobic swimming with a few fast 50 swim and kick at the end.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45

Main set
    500,400,300,200,100 pull on 1.10 base plus 10 seconds
    4x(50 fast on 1min holding 200 pace,3x50 kick on 1min)

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 3200scy

This lower yardage felt good and we should be down to mid 2k tomorrow with a meet warmup on Thursday. This is the first drop taper I have done since being back so it will be interesting to see what it translates to at the weekend. Hopefully some fast swims!!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 78 - Monday

by , March 24th, 2014 at 09:28 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a good nights sleep but rather weird. I dreamt I overslept and woke up around 1am in a panic. Then I woke up again 10minutes after the alarm normally goes off and discovered I had not set the alarm. My subconscious must have been telling me I had not set the alarm. Luckily the 10 mins did not make a difference and I made it to the pool on time. We are resting this week with the hope of swimming fast at our southern zone meet next weekend. I will be chasing some fast zone records in the longer events and both Ross Davis and Steve Unruh will make the shorter 500 and 200 very fast. I can't wait. With the base work we have been doing I hope to swim a strong 1650 on Friday and a 1000 on Sunday. Today was a good workout and I felt really strong throughout.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45

Main sets
    10x200 pull with paddles descend 1-5 and 6-10 on 3mins
    400 easy recovery swimming
    6x100 kick on 2mins descend 1-3 and 4-6

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 3900scy

On the 200s Tom asked me to do a big descend starting out around 2.30 and on #5 be at about 2min pace and on round 2 be about 5 seconds faster throughout. I tried keeping my stroke long and came in on 2.10 on the first 200. From there I descended and went 2.07,2.05,2.01,1.58. On the second round I was about 5 seconds quicker throughout going 2.05,2.03,1.59,1.56,1.52. I felt awesome on the second round and honestly felt like I had more on the last one. I tried going slower at the beginning but with paddles it's almost like I have to shorten my stroke to go the times he was after. I had a guy in my lane who was wearing paddles and fins and I was using him as a rabbit on the last couple in each round. I think the final 200 is the fastest 200 I have pulled in practice. I am also not used to so much rest which I think helped make this set much easier than normal. The kick set I descended and went 1.27,1.23,1.18,1.25,1.21,1.17 and felt good again. We will be dropping the yardage tomorrow and throughout the week. I won't be shaving but this drop taller feels good already and I am hopeful I will have some fast races at the weekend.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 77 - Saturday

by , March 22nd, 2014 at 12:34 PM (After a long rest)
    I woke tired again this morning. Hopefully I will get time to nap today and that will allow me to catchup on my sleep. I swam pretty easy today.

Warm up
    800 Reverse IM twitch (alternate 25 stroke 25 free)

Main set
    16x25 kick afap on 40
    3x500 dec 1-3. To 90% effort on 3. Work walls. Watch how u go in and out.
    3x broken 200s
    #1- 50 100 50
    #2- 25 50 50 50 25
    #3- 50 50 50 50
    5 seconds rest after 25s, 10 seconds rest after 50s and 15 seconds rest after 100s

Warm down
    3x200 perfect swim 3min

Total 3900scy

i tried relaxing on the 500s and descended as instructed. I started at 5.25 and dropped about seconds per 500. On the broken 200s I focused on 500 pace rather than 200 pace. I was just plain tired today and want some rest before zones next week. Our coach was not on deck this morning due to family visiting from Illinois so this was a paper workout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast