View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Week 152 - Saturday

by , August 29th, 2015 at 08:38 PM (After a long rest)
    Yesterday was a very long day. I coached again from 5:45-7pm and then had a coaches meeting which went till about 9pm and by the time I ate and went to bed it was gone 10pm. My poor wife offered to pickup my son who was doing his first football match on the band. They were supposed to be home at 10:30pm which is already late for us, but for an unknown reason they did not get back to Rockwall until 12:30am. My poor wife and son did not get to sleep until 1am. My wife was pretty fired up this morning and sent and email to the band director asking what happened.

This morning I woke and felt good again. Unbeknown to me my wife had put vinegar in the hot water kettle to de scale it. I thought she had filled it up for me so I just heated the water and went into auto pilot and made my coffee(which I only have before practice on Saturdays). Needless to say vinegar and coffee don't mix and luckily I did not swallow but if I was not awake already I sure was after a mouthful of vinegar coffee

After fixing the the problem and eating I headed to the pool. We had a large group this morning and we did our 16x100 race pace set.

Warm up
    600 free with snorkel
    10x50 drill/build on 1min

Main sets
    16x100 on 2min at 500 race pace

Warm down
    400 free

On the drill/build I felt really smooth and held :31s. On the 16x100s I started out quite comfortable going :57s. After #8 I started to work harder and dropped to :56 highs. I held :56s until #12. On #13 I slipped to a :58 and should have stopped since my goal time is :57 but tried on #14 to pick it up but again went :58. Tom told me to stop and skip on #15 and then go for it again on the last one. On 16 one of my team mates in the lane next to me had fins on and really went for it and we got into a race and we both went :54. Unlike my team mate I did not have fins and somehow I did not even hurt like I had in the previous ones. I guess the adrenalin associated with racing had overcome the pain from the prior 100s. I was a little miffed that I fell off the pace but when I look back to last year I am further along at this time of the year.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 152 - Friday

by , August 29th, 2015 at 08:22 PM (After a long rest)
    I am playing catchup due to a very hectic week. I felt pretty good on Friday and had a good practice.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45

Main sets
    5x100 kick on 1:45
    4x(2x25 scull doggie paddle, 2x25 full doggie paddle, 2x25 no breath free) all on :30
    12x25 underwater with fins on :35
    2x(1x25 free on :35, 2x25 free on :30, 3x25 free on :25, 4x25 free on :20, 5x25 free on :15)
    100 easy
    12x50 done as 25 DPS, 25 breath once on :50

Warm down
    200 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 152 - Thursday

by , August 27th, 2015 at 01:38 PM (After a long rest)
    I worked on more of my online courses for my coaching certification last night. Nothing hard but time consuming. I have my first practice tonight as coach; I cant wait.

I slept well last night and felt good this morning when I woke up.

Weights
    5x(vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on the machine, :30 rest)
    2xshoulder bands and light weights focused on rotator cuff on left shoulder joint.
    4x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

I tried mixing up the abs a little bit more today so on each exercise I did a slight variant. For example on the crunches I did cycle kick with my legs as I moved from side to side. I am going to add some medicine balls next Tuesday.

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50
    8x25 open,close, easy, fast on 1min with fins
    200 easy

Todays swim was shorter than I had hoped but I just ran out of time today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 152 - Wednesday

by , August 26th, 2015 at 07:45 PM (After a long rest)
    I headed to Austin after Monday mornings practice and had planned on two meetings in Austin before driving to San Antonio for a full day of meetings yesterday. I hoped to join Alamo Masters at Northside but discovered that nearly all school district pools including Northside and the Josh Davis Nat were closed. I could not make any of the open pools work with my meeting schedule so yesterday I had to miss a workout. I got home late last night due to weather delays on in bound flights to Austin which had a knock on affect on delaying my flight. Whenever possible, I try to fly Southwest and yesterday was my first Southwest disappointment; I paid extra to get on an earlier flight than my original flight only to discover that the flight was delayed and my original flight actually left before the delayed flight. I was pretty upset!

This morning came too fast but I slept well. The pool was setup scy and I did what felt like a lot of fast swimming.

Warm up
    400 free with a snorkel
    6x50 catchup by :45

main sets
    10x50 kick on :50
    100 easy
    16x50 on 1min at 200 race pace
    100 easy
    4x(2x25 dumb dolphin drill on :40, 2x50 fast butterfly on 1min)
    700 pull on High tempo per 100 than normal

warm down
    200 easy

I held 39/40 on the kick. The race pace I held 26s. I felt good. On the fly I was going 29/30s. The pull I was holding 1:05 pace.

Updated August 26th, 2015 at 10:04 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 152 - Monday

by , August 24th, 2015 at 09:27 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a restless night of sleep but woke ok. I suspect I will be tired later today. I kept thinking I had forgotten something for my upcoming trip to Austin/San Antonio. I never could figure what if anything I had forgotten.

The pool was setup scy. I found today really tough but worked the main sets hard.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    8x200 IM on 3mins descend 1-4
    100 easy
    4x(4x50 kick on 1min, 200 free with paddles on 2:30)

Warm down
    200 easy

my descends were pretty pathetic but my times were good. I dropped from 2:23-2:19 on both rounds. I felt ok but was a little short of breath on this set. This was a whooping! These were great times for me though. On the kick and 200 free set I held 40s on the kick and the went 1:58,1:57,1:56 and 1:54. These are stellar times for me; I just wish I felt better. These really hurt! Despite feeling short of breath today my times were awesome and I am pleased with how I did today.

Now ow I am off to Austin/San Antonio for a whirlwind business trip! I am going to try to swim at Northside tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 151 - Saturday

by , August 22nd, 2015 at 12:56 PM (After a long rest)
    I was really tired last night and went to bed early. I slept really well and woke up feeling good this morning. I was anticipating our 16x100s set and honestly had a little dread in the back of my mind as I headed to the pool. Luckily for me Tom said we would not be doing the 16x100s set today. He said we worked our tails off yesterday and he wanted to ease us back in; I could help but think, I wished he had applied this earlier in the week when we did our 16x50s set.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel on 6mins
    300 catchup on 4:30
    200 IM drill on 3mins
    100 free on 1:30

Main sets
    6x(100 kick with fins straight into 2x25 underwater with 15 seconds rest at 25 and 30 seconds rest between rounds)
    4x50 DPS reducing by 1 each 25 on 1min
    4x(100 IM fast on 1:30, 2x50 drill swim in IM order on 1min)
    100 easy
    50 from a drive afap

Warm down
    200 easy

Despite not doing the 16x100s today this was not an easy workout. I kicked on my back on the set with fins and went for it on the first 100 and went :52 and then tried to hold this time throughout the 100s kick portion. On the last 2 rounds I slipped to :53s. On the underwater I was able to go halfway down the pool on the first 25 and then managed to go underwater on the second 25. on the DPS I was able to drop from 11 strokes to 7 strokes over the set. I was trying to work both my stroke, kick and underwaters as I dropped my stroke count. On the IM sets I went 1:05,1:05,1:04,1:03 and felt tired but strong. I feel like my fly and breast have improved this long course season. I will likely swim some more IMs in some masters meets this scm season. On the 50'from a dive I had a slow and crooked dive but felt fast and Tom called out 23 based on his send off and the clock on the wall. I was pleased with this.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 151 - Friday

by , August 21st, 2015 at 08:59 PM (After a long rest)
    Islet great last night but woke a little stiff and sore. It's always tough getting back into training and this week has been no exception. Once again we are setup for scy.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x(100 IM on 1:20, 100 kick on 1:40, 50 under water on 1:30)
    100 easy
    4x(4x25 on 40, round 1 easy DPS, round 2 overkick, round 3 underwater off walls to 15m line, round 4 afap no breathers)
    100 easy
    8x(partner up with swimmer 1 going 100 fast, while swimmer 2 does vertical dolphin kick with heads out of the water, at the end of the 100 switch)

Warm down
    200 easy

I felt pretty stiff on the warm up but did loosen up and caught fire on the IM set going 1:07, 1:05, 1:03, 1:01 on the IMs and held 1:20 on the kick. I breathed 1-2 per length on the 50 and used it as active recovery. I felt good! The 25s I was coming in over 15s until the last round where I went 12s. On the partner set my partner is pretty quick and he started out around 58-59s and we were alternating pretty well but he slipped a little after the first two and to stick to the leaving on the top I had to gradually drop my times as he slowed down. I ended up dropping to :57s and then on the last 2 went :56s. Unlike the 16x100 set we do where we get rest this was especially tough due to the no rest. Time get getting in our case if we hung on the wall for more than a second or two after we finished. This was tough!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 151 - Thursday

by , August 20th, 2015 at 08:40 AM (After a long rest)
    I had another good night of sleep and woke before the alarm went off.

We upped the number of rounds of abs today and suspect we will do the same next week.

Weights
    2xshoulder bands and light weights focused on rotator cuff on left shoulder joint.
    3x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    4x100 with paddles on 1:30
    8x25 open,close, easy, fast on 1min with fins
    200 easy

I felt like jello when I dove in today. The abs were hard and I still felt Tuesday on the first round today. Its amazing how a really good long taper brings your fitness level down. It takes so long to build up fitness but so little time to loose it. Hopefully a couple of weeks and I will be back to normal.

I finally made an appointment to see an orthopedic doctor earlier this week but could not get in until the middle of September. The particular doctor I choose came recommended and as it turns out is the orthopedic doctor for the Dallas Cowboys. One of my team mates worked with him on a shoulder issue and he said he is awesome; very thorough. My right knee still hurts but not as bad as it was going into the taper. If I want to get the swelling up it will take one leg workout. Don't know if I should deliberately enclave it by doing what hurts or just let it be what it is with no pain. I suspect the later makes most sense! I always worry when I go to see a doctor they will not see the problem.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 151 - Wednesday

by , August 19th, 2015 at 09:05 PM (After a long rest)
    I had another good night of sleep and headed to the pool hoping for another LCM workout but alas it looks like we are done with Long course for the year. Tom did say there was talk about switching it at weekends but I have heard that before and it did not happen. Oh well, it is what it is!

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x200 kick on 3:15
    100 easy
    16x50 on 1min at 200 race pace
    100 easy
    12x25 with fins underwater on :40

Warm down
    8x50 delay breath drill

I felt pretty whacked after the kick set but did great holding 2:43-2:45. I was not anticipating 16x50s and mentally decided to swim them as 4 rounds of 4 increasing my effort as I went through the set. I started out with a :25 which shocked me. I then proceeded to hold :26s until the last 50 where I went :25 again. I did not feel that great at the end but that's the best I have done on this set. Very happy!

I am taking my USAS coaching certificate tomorrow and have been working on the online portion the last couple of nights. I am really looking forward to getting my certs and I spoke to my wife about coaching one of the kids groups this season. I have a lot of upcoming travel but tom said he would appreciate the help so I am going to try coaching the kids in one of the groups as my schedule permits. I have about a month of travel already planned so I will be hit and miss to start with but will try to plan my travel around the coaching. I hope it works and as long as the kids are ok with me helping out I think it will be great fun. Watch this space!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 151 - Tuesday

by , August 19th, 2015 at 08:50 PM (After a long rest)
    Back to dry lands this morning. My taper will be a distant memory by the end of this week.

Weights
    2x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    4x50 open,close, easy, fast on 1min with fins
    200 easy

I felt good in the water today!

Updated August 20th, 2015 at 08:41 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 151 - Monday

by , August 17th, 2015 at 09:55 PM (After a long rest)
    After the after meet party my wife and I went to watch the movie "the man from Uncle". It was a pretty easy movie to watch and was good(not great). I was pretty beat after the meet and was not really in the movie mood and when the lights went down I struggled to keep my eyes open. The movie was entertaining enough I did not sleep but I was struggling in a few spots. I slept well last night but woke quite sore. The no warm down after the meet probably contributed. This morning the pool was setup LCM. I suspect our long course days are numbered unfortunately.

Today i I had a meeting at work at 7:30 and had to get out a little early.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    8x200 pull on 3mins descend 1-4,5-8
    10x50 drill working on breathing after the catch on 1min
    2x100 kick

warm down
    100 easy

I felt good on the pull set and descended from 2:20 to 2:12 and felt long and tapered. Oh how I love the feel when you come off a big meet and are rested and shaved. It's so unfortunate that this feeling does not last. The drill was interesting; Tom said he wanted us to work on a slightly later breath after the catch. I have never noticed a pause in my stroke but he said he saw one today. The kick should have been 6 rounds but I ran out of time. I made it downtown for my meeting by the smallest of margins,mouth I did make it.

Tonight i started my USAS coaching certification and worked on the online course. It was a lot of common sense stuff so far but it was good to hear. I need to finish this tomorrow since the water portion is on Thursday.

I am am back to crazy abs in the morning but will build back into it so hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 150 - Friday

by , August 14th, 2015 at 12:34 PM (After a long rest)
    I had another good night of sleep last night and finally seem to have kicked the chest crud. Today we did a meet warm up ahead of this weekends meet in Rockwall. Greg Streppel who is in from Canada swam with us this morning. Greg is a really nice guy and it was fun talking with him.

400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    6x50 build on 1min
    4x50 open, close, easy, fast
    200 easy
    4 relay starts

I felt ok in the water today which is good, but I false started 2 of the relay hand offs which is a real concern. I wish I was leading off but alas one of my team mates wants a split so I will anchor. I will make sure I do a safe start!!!

I did breakfast with everyone after practice this morning which was fun.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 150 - Thursday

by , August 13th, 2015 at 01:15 PM (After a long rest)
    I did not feel so great yesterday and was fortunate that my calendar was almost empty and with some creative rescheduling decided to take the day off work. It turned out to be a great decision since after sleeping for an hour or so I woke up feeling much better. My chest congestion just does not want to go away but after the sleep I woke up feeling much better and the tickly cough I had developed also disappeared. I also made an extra effort yesterday to drink LOTS of fluid and by yesterday afternoon was feeling a lot better. Last night I went to bed at 6:30pm and had a great night of sleep; the most solid and best I have had in a long time. According to my wife I beat the kids and her by 3 hours.

Unlike the rest of the week the pool was still setup LCM with all lane lines still in place. Today I dropped my distance again with mainly aerobic easy swimming with the exception being a few open, close, easy, fast 50s.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    4x100 free on 1:30
    100 easy
    4x50 on 1min with fins, done as open, close, easy, fast
    100 easy

Warm down
    200 double arm backstroke
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 150 - Wednesday

by , August 12th, 2015 at 08:49 AM (After a long rest)
    I slept better last night and woke uncontested for the first time in the last two weeks. This thing literally started two weeks ago today while in Orlando. That feels like a long time for a cold.

When i got to the pool once again the lane lines were removed and we spent at least 15 minutes untangling and pulling lane lines. Once everything was set I proceeded with a 2500m taper workout.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    6x100 free with just paddles on 1:30 smooth
    10x50 back kick on 1min
    4x50 on 1min done at 200 race pace

Warm down
    500 easy

I felt quite heavy during the warmup today but was fine on the pace 50s holding 30/31s.

I was worried about the number of entries for our meet this weekend but we had a great last week of entires and the unofficial number is 85 swimmers. We have a guy in my age group coming in from Canada and others coming in from Arkansas, and Oklahoma. It's going to be fun with my team putting up lots of relays. I just booked a restaurant for a team lunch after Saturday's session which will be fun too.

Updated August 12th, 2015 at 11:23 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 150 - Tuesday

by , August 11th, 2015 at 08:21 PM (After a long rest)
    I did not have a particularly good night of sleep last night. It was hot and I could not stop tossing and turning. When I got to the pool this morning all the lane lines were bunched up in one corner and we had to setup enough lanes for our group to swim in. The pool is shut except for masters workouts and there is a crew working on cleaning the pool. I guess the crew must have forgotten to setup the pool again.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    4x(4x50 IM order on 1min, 100 kick on 2mins)
    4x(4x50 on 1min done as open, close, easy, fast)

Warm down
    200 easy

Nothing very fast today but generally I feel good in the pool.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 150 - Monday

by , August 10th, 2015 at 08:50 AM (After a long rest)
    I have a meet next weekend so I was back at it this morning. My wife picked me up from DFW airport and I was home eating dinner with my wife and kids by about 7:30pm last night. I headed to bed soon after I ate and unpacked. I had a pretty restless night of sleep and woke pretty congested. At least the congestion is very loose and it clears quickly after I get up.

I spoke to Tom before Nationals about this week and what to do to carry my taper through next weekend. I don't know what events I am swimming other than relays. We are going to have a crack at some national relay records which will be a lot of fun. Anyhow Tom suggested I do a long aerobic workout and then come back down again throughout the week. The pool is officially closed all week and Tom is on vacation however we arranged for me to open and close the pool for masters practices. The pool was setup LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    10x300 pull on 4mins
    10x50 kick with fins on :50

Warm down
    200 easy

The feeling in the water the week after a big meet is incredible and I wish I felt this way all the time. Still being shaved gives that slick feeling and being rested in season training times are easy to hold the week after the meet. I held 1:09-1:11 pace on the 300s and felt quite easy. On the kick I was holding :35s. Tomorrow I will drop to about 3500m and then drop about 750m each day through the rest of the week. Onwards!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 149 - Tuesday

by , August 4th, 2015 at 08:37 PM (After a long rest)
    I took more meds last night and again slept well but once again woke up very congested. I did a very easy 1000m this morning consisting of:

4x100 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup
    3x100 kick

i am getting worried about being healthy for Thursday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 149 - Monday

by , August 3rd, 2015 at 09:22 PM (After a long rest)
    I took more Alka seltzer last night and woke up really congested. I slept solid but felt like someone had sit slept on my chest all night. I have a lot of mucus build up which really really sucks. I felt ok in the water and my head cleared up quick but my chest still remained congested throughout the workout. I am still hopeful I will be ok before nationals but my body is now cutting it pretty close. Luckily I don't feel sick and I am just congested so hopefully it will clear.

Today was setup LCM

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1 min

Main sets
    3x300 pull on 4:30 descend 1-3
    100 easy
    100 free from push broken at 50 with 10 seconds
    100 easy
    100 back from push broken at 50 with 10 seconds
    100 easy
    5x100 IM easy

Warm down
    100 easy
    5 free starts

I felt ok on the 300s other than my continued breathing challenges. I went 3:29, 3:27, 3:24. On the broken 100 free I felt slow and tired. I was out in :29 to my feet at 50 and came back in :31 going 1:00 which is ok. On the back I went :33 to my feet, and came back in :35 going 1:08 which I felt much better.

i am trying to stay positive ahead of nationals and I really hope my chest starts to loosen up otherwise the 800 is going to miserable.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 148 - Sunday

by , August 2nd, 2015 at 06:22 PM (After a long rest)
    I took an alka seltzer nighttime last night and slept like a rock. I woke feeling much better and my chest had loosened up. I am hopeful that I will be fine next week!

I arranged with with a friend that we would do a short swim today as I usually do before a big meet. The pool was setup lcm. I basically did a meet warmup(with some equipment).

400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    4x50 with fins on 1:15 done as open, close, easy, fast
    2x50 easy with fins no time
    50 fast with fins
    150 easy

On the 50s fast I went 24 and 23. These are both so much better than I have swum with fins in a long long time. I feel great in the water and just need to clear my chest before the meet. I have a few fast broken swims tomorrow and then pretty much cruise til Thursday.

I found the lineup at nationals a little challenging and could not make all the events I wanted to swim work so miss out on the 400m and the 50m free. I will swim these along with the 1500m at our meet in Rockwall in a couple of weeks. So my lineup at Nationals is:

Thursday - 800m free
    Friday - 200m back
    Saturday - 100m free and 50m back
    Sunday - 100m back and 200m free

I will be swimming a few off events at our meet in Rockwall and may add the 50m or 100m breast and the 200IM to my event lineup.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 148 - Saturday

by , August 1st, 2015 at 07:19 PM (After a long rest)
    Last night my daughter had a meet and we did not get home or eat until 9pm last night. I was feeling very tired. I slept great last night and woke feeling much better. The pool was setup scy again this morning for the second day of the meet.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    8x50 drill/build on 1min
    4x100 at 200 race pace on 2:30
    5x200 pull on 2:45
    8x50 done as 25 no breath underwater on back fast, 25 easy with fins on 1min
    50 fast with fins

Warm down
    400 easy

I believe I picked up a cold on my trip to Orlando and despite taking some decongestants my chest was pretty tight and I have a niggly little cough. Despite having a little challenge breathing on the fast set I generally felt good in the water. I felt smooth on today's 100s and went :53,:54,:54,:54. Tom took my splits and said I was really even per 50. I was very happy about these! The 200s I went very smooth and used them as active recovery; I ended up descending the 200s, starting at 2:15 and dropping to 2:05 by the last round. The 50s with fins were fun and we did these as a group with lots of laughing and joking. One of my team mates suggested doing the 50 fast and I went :21/:22 with fins. I then took a really slow easy warm down in the baby pool while the madness associated with the kids meet erupted around me. This was the last meet of the season for the kids and there were hundreds and hundreds of kids swimming in the pool within seconds of us finishing the 50 with fins.

I am really hoping that an easy weekend with some decongestants will clear up my cold and I will be ready for the meet on Thursday. I am having a really good taper and I believe I am going to have a great meet next week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast