View RSS Feed

USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Meet / OW event planning and results from USA Swimming events.

1. Week 73 - Friday

by , February 21st, 2014 at 09:16 PM (After a long rest)
    This has been a very long week. Last night we housed a Brazilian partner including some dinner and discussion late into the evening by my standard; namely 8.30pm. Also as I have written before Friday I go to the pool 30 minutes earlier than normal to allow a friend of mine to swim before she has to go to nursing school. I had a good nights sleep and actually woke an hour before my alarm was set and got up and had a coffee and read the papers online before heading to the pool. This mornings practice was pretty brutal and involved parachutes and sprint work.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 45
    6x100 kick on 1.40 holding 1.20 or better
    12x50 drill build by 25 on 50

Main set
    4x(100 free with parachute AFAP on 2mins, 2x50 easy on 1min)
    200 easy
    3x(50 fly kick, 25 fly, 50 fly drill, 25 fly, 25 fly kick underwater, 25 fly) with 20 seconds between rounds
    100 free AFAP from block
    75 free AFAP from block with 30 seconds of vertical fly kick arms above head 25 no breather
    50 free AFAP from block with 10 squats, 25 no breather, 30 seconds vertical fly kick with hands above head, 25 no breather
    25 free AFAP from block with 10 squats, 25 no breather 30 seconds of vertical fly kick with arms above head, 25 no breather

Warm down
    400 easy

Total 5300scy

Despite being tired by the end of this workout I felt good. My legs were shaking so badly by the last fast stuff from the blocks I could hardly stand on the blocks. On the main set with parachute I held 1.10 on the 100s and 40s on the easy 50s. On the fast 100 at the end I went 51, 37 on the 75, 23 on the 50 and 10 on the 25. I was really pleased with today's workout.

Today flew by work wise but I headed out at 4.30 so I could make the warm up for the USAS meet where I was swimming the 1650. I had a good warmup but was still feeling the affects of this mornings workout. My arms were heavy and my legs in particular felt very heavy. Despite this I felt confident of having a good swim. After the first 200 I had the urge to get out but I stuck with it. I ended up going 17:30.12 on the 1650 which is about 20 seconds slower than I had hoped to swim earlier this week, but considering this mornings workout I was very happy. The Texas High School championship is this weekend so most of the really quick kids were not at the meet but despite this I had a good heat and had fun in a sick way.
  2. Greater Southwest Invitational Wrap up

by , January 20th, 2014 at 08:45 PM (After a long rest)
    Saturday and Sunday were even more disappointing than friday at the meet and in the end i just did not make the time to blog. Every single one of my evening swims was slower than my morning swims. On a positive note i did make finals in the 50,100 and 200, but just failed to hit any of my personal target I set for myself for the meet. All around i just had no zip. In summary my morning times were.

50 - 22.68
    100 - 49.01
    200 - 1.48.04
    500 - 4.55.20
    1000 - 10.17.42

Of these swims the only one I know with a high degree of certainty there was a contributing factor to the slow time was the 1000 where I was late to the block and had to run half the length of the deck to even make the race. I was also trying to tie my jammers and get my goggles on as the starter said to take your mark. I definitely recovered but my first 500 was almost 3 seconds slower than my second 500 and I was discombobulated at the beginning and lost touch with the race leaders very early and just never got going until the end.

I don't know if I set my expectations too high but I was very disappointed with my overall performances this weekend. I was healthy, rested and shaved and just felt flat the whole weekend. I definitely felt better in the mornings than the evenings but even then I just did not have the normal easy speed feeling I normally get at big meets.

I really appreciate all the kind words and encouragement from everyone and this is definitely a bump I can use to get better in the future. I will take a few days to think about what I did during this training and competition cycle that worked and what I did that did not and then i will meet with my coach Tom, to plan for our next cycle of training and competitions. It's not the end of the world by a long shot but it sort of feels that way right now. I am not normally one to feel sorry for myself but I am ashamed to say that's how I feel right now. That said i will come out of this experience stronger.
  3. Greater Southwest Invitational Day 1 Prelims / Finals

by , January 17th, 2014 at 02:37 PM (After a long rest)
    I did not swim as fast as I had hoped I would swim but I still did masters best times so I can't complain too much. I also qualified for the A finals in the 100 but I am currently first alternate on the 500. I am kicking myself on the 500 because I did not stick with the two fast kids in my heat and as a result i missed out on the final. I really think I can swim much quicker than my time this morning. I got into a rhythm and could not pick it up when I needed to. Despite this I was pleased with the consistency of my splits in the 500. The 100 I did not go out hard enough but had a good back half and qualified for tonight so will get a chance to drop time.

100 free - 49.01 - splits 23.68, 25.33
    500 free - 4.55.20 - splits 55.64, 59.86, 59.81, 1.00.25, 59.64

I had hoped to go 48.0 in the 100 and under 4.50 on the 500 so not as fast as I had hoped, but I am still pleased and have a lot more fast swimming still to do at this meet. Fingers crossed someone will drop out of the final of the 500 and I will get another shot.

Finals update

This was fun despite struggling a little. I don't know whether it was swimming in the evening or if it was just a bad swim but my legs were very heavy this evening. I was out a little quicker turning in 23.5 but the second 50 my legs were very heavy and I ended up going 49.46. It's hard to get upset when I made the final in an off event. We videos my swim so I will try to upload some video after I get done with the meet. All the kids showed up for the 500 so I had no opportunity to swim the 500 again.

Updated January 18th, 2014 at 02:17 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
  4. COR Classic Day 2

by , December 22nd, 2013 at 03:02 PM (After a long rest)
    Still no speed today but definitely a better day. I am always my own worst critic, but after looking at my splits from yesterday I can take away that I was consistently slow as opposed to dieing. On my 200 yesterday I was out in 26 and then held 28.4s on all other 50s. So despite these being slow I have some pace endurance which is very encouraging pre taper.

I started the day at the pool by being told that the meet officials had pulled me from the 1650 because they would not use my USAS 1000 time as a seed time. It really sucks because I was looking forward to getting a good time under my belt. I have not yet swum a 1650 since being back. I swam a 1500 at the end of a LCM meet this summer and was looking forward to this race.

So today's program was the 500 and 100 free. If I had known I could not swim the 1650 I would have entered the 200 back, but alas just the two swims today.

On my 500 I dropped 4 seconds from the meet last month and did a 5.03.x. Like yesterday, not what i had hoped for but definitely nothing to complain about based on where i am with training. I was out through 200 at a good pace but my tempo dropped a little the rest of the way but still held 30. Mids and highs. At 300 I felt very short of breath and was almost hyper ventilating, but this passed quickly and by 350 felt good again. Nothing in my splits shows this but it felt weird.

There was a big gap between my 500 and my 100 but I warmed up again before the 100 and despite being a little stiff and a little tired generally felt pretty good.

I went 50.36 on my 100 with my first 50 split being 23.95 and my second being 26.41. I started to tied up at the end of the 3rd length but held on. My second 50 was a little slow and despite my time being slower than last month I was pleased with this based on the rest of the meet and more generally where I am in my training program.
  5. COR Classic Day 1

by , December 22nd, 2013 at 07:12 AM (After a long rest)
    Friday proved to be a very long day starting with my swim before heading to the airport and ending with a couple of hour flight delay courtesy of American Airlines. I had a decent nights sleep but was sleepy when I woke up and was not feeling great, but surprisingly did not feel totally bad either. My daughter was swimming the meet also so it was great getting ready with her and also sitting with her pool side(although I kept my distance so she could still hang out with her friends without feeling awkward).

This was the rescheduled version of this meet that got moved due to the ice storms that hit Dallas over Thanksgiving. Due to the shorter schedule(1.5 days instead of 3) I did not do any of the back events.

200 free - 1.51.x I was very disappointed with this and just had no speed at all. I was aiming to break 1.50, so was disappointed. I was out in 54 high which is too slow to go under my target. I just had no speed and suspect I set my expectations too high for this meet.

50 free - 23.08 five of us tied on this time across heats with myself and another in my heat. I did not feel bad on this one but again did not have any speed, and just felt very sluggish.

Today I have a long program swimming the 500, 100 and 1650. Today is a new day and I will swim a good meet today!
  6. Sunday 3rd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx

by , November 3rd, 2013 at 02:59 PM (After a long rest)
    We had a very nice Italian dinner last night with a group of the parents whose children swim with my daughter. The general opinion was that everyone enjoyed the day and they were all very supportive of my efforts which again was very reassuring.

I woke this morning feeling pretty good, a little sore, but nothing I was not expecting. I jammed my left index finger at the end of my 200 and it was a pretty blue color. I iced it which really helped a lot with swelling. Luckily it did not affect any of my swimming yesterday or today but it does look pretty or as they say in Texas, purdy.

we did a similar warmup to yesterday.

500 free
    8x50 swum by 25 IM order, kick, swim, drill swim
    4x50 kick
    4x50 build free
    100 easy
    4 backstroke starts and turns

The kids were all excited about my swims yesterday and they made me feel great.

Todays swims were great and I even swam two events I don't have any perspective on since I don't think I ever swam either in yards in college in the 200 back and 200 IM.

100 free - 49.7
    200 back - 2.06.19
    200 IM - 2.11.12
    1000 free - 10.33.62

I was very pleased with the 100 free and my splits were great; I was out in 24 and back in 25. This was quicker by .5 second than my 100 at spring nationals shaved and tapered and I am definately not that right now. I seem to have strength and speed but no pace endurance right now which is sort of weird based on how we have been training. I was very pleased with the 200 back because unlike the 100 I had pretty decent turns and my splits were pretty consistent. I did not know what to expect from the IM and other than the breast felt pretty good. I highly doubt I will swim this again but it was fun. The 1000 i was very tired before the race but once i got in the water i felt ok and felt better split wise than yesterdays 500 and I had even 500 splits. I had one bad turn at 450 but other than that I felt good considering all the swimming I did this weekend.

I achieved my goal for the meet which was A cuts which enable me to swim up a level and have some competition at my next USAS meet. My next USAS meet is mid December at the COR classic which again is being swum at our facility. I also have a masters meet in a couple of weeks at Baylor which I am looking forward to since it will be my only SCM meet this year.

Updated November 3rd, 2013 at 03:58 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
  7. Saturday 2nd Nov 2013 - USAS BB/B/C Meet in Rockwall Tx

by , November 2nd, 2013 at 09:27 PM (After a long rest)
    I woke up feeling pretty good this morning. I ran and grabbed chick-fil-a breakfast for everyone and ate breakfast watching the early English Premier League game. Half my family(the black sheep) support Chelsea(it pains me to even write the name) and the other half(the cool side) support Arsenal. It was great to watch Newcastle beat Chelsea while enjoying my breakfast burrito.

My daughter and I headed to the pool 30 minutes early. We went to walk onto the pool deck where I was stopped and asked if I was officiating and when I said no they said no parents were aloud on deck. I explained I was a swimmer and the woman laughed but did eventually let me pass.

We did a pretty crowded warmup as follows:

500swim
    4x4x50 IM order swum kick, drill, pull, swim
    4x50 build
    100 easy

My first swim was not until about half way through the meet which sucked, but finally I got to swim and I actually did not have much rest between my swims.

50 Free - 22.77
    100 Back - 58.31
    200 Free - 1.50.96
    500 Free - 5.07.16

I was pleased with everything except the 500. My splits were all over the place which was very disappointing. I was very pleased with the 50 free and 100 back. I think I would have been at least a second or more faster on the back if I had not jammed my turns. This was as quick as my rested and shaved time from spring nationals, with really crappy turns so there is plenty of room for improvement. The 200 felt good, but I hoped to go under 1.50. My splits were pretty good on the 200 and I felt strong throughout.

Overall I am pleased with the meet so far and got 4 A cuts today which will enable me to go up a level where I will get some strong competition. It was interesting today being in the first heat with NT's. I lapped most swimmers in my heat in the 200, and lapped everyone 2-3 times on the 500 in my heat. I think the kids were quite intimidated by the old dude and I did not hear any negative comments from any parents, in fact quite the opposite with many of the parents on deck congratulating me and thanking me for swimming which was very nice.

Updated November 3rd, 2013 at 08:09 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories