View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Budapest Week 6 - Friday

by , June 9th, 2017 at 08:51 PM (After a long rest)
    I went to bed at 6:45pm last night and slept solid. I literally don't think I moved. I woke just before my alarm was due to go off and felt so much better than earlier in the week.

Pool setup LCM

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :55

Main sets
    12x50 kick on :55
    6x(100 free on 1:30, 2x50 back on :45)
    12x50 with fins on :50 odds 25 under water, 25 back, evens 25 no breath free, 25
    4x(100 free afap on 1:45, 50 ez on 1:15)
    10x50 free on :45 breathing 3,5,7,9 focusing on overkick

Warm down
    200 easy

Today was a good workout. The early kick was tough. In fact I don't believe we have done 50s on this quick an interval LCM in a long time. I was getting 3-5 seconds rest and it was tough. Interestingly I swam way faster on the 100 free on the next set despite feeling very relaxed. I was going 1:12/1:13s throughout and then went :38/:39s on the back. The underwater with find were harder than it first sounded and I was tired at the end. I was not expecting the afap 100s but again did ok going 1:06s until the last one when I put on just paddles(no bouy) and went a 1:03. If only I could surgically implant paddles. The last set we worked on overkicking with a breath control pattern and again this was tougher than it sounds.

Today was good and I hope I am gradually getting used to the longer workouts. Work has been kicking my butt and hopefully with a new guy I brought on a week ago life will start to ease up a little; famous last words.

One of my training partners(Bill) who moved to Indiana is back this weekend so we will have fun with him tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts