Blog Comments

Yes, take where you're at. And considering you're on your way to World, that's a huge accomplishment after all the pain you were in last year.

All is going well here. I'm really enjoying Memphis. It's a beautiful town and there's a lot to do here, especially around the arts and music. It's a city with an identity crisis - not quite a big city, though not a small one either. The people are fantastic. I'm enjoying my new team, my coach and the folks on it. There are two faster women on the team, but today I realized that they were 10 and 20 years younger than me and I'm close to them. I'll get 'em when they're not looking. The hard part is that we only practice 3x/week as opposed to 6x with my last club. It's hard getting out on my own, but need to 2 more days/week.

Good to see you're doing well, Stewart. You're inspiring me to get my butt in the gym for some weight/strength training.
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    16000?! Oh that stresses me out thinking about that many people. LOL!

Sounds like you're making a really good comeback. Nice work!
    yes sixteen thousand people. Rumor is that they will be running 4 pools. Montreal was 2 competition pools and a warmup and warmdown pool.

I am am up and down own from day to day with how I feel but the general trend is up which is great. I feel like I am in a race against time to really be where I want to be before worlds but I will just keep plugging away and enjoy each day as best as I can. This time last year I was afraid I would not be racing ever again so I will most certainly come take where I am at.

How is life coming out the other side of the move?
    16000?! Oh that stresses me out thinking about that many people. LOL!

Sounds like you're making a really good comeback. Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Great to see you, Stewart. When you're next back, I promise to be in better swimming shape! Travel well, my friend.
    Patrick, you did just fine and long term your PT will mean you will be back better than ever. I think I need a page out of your book after worlds to rest and recoup my shoulder but I am afraid I am too far along with the injury.
    Great to see you, Stewart. When you're next back, I promise to be in better swimming shape! Travel well, my friend.
    Looking forward to your visit!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms
    Stewart, I admire and am in awe that you still go to practice after only a few hours of sleep. I don't know how you can function sometimes.
    I struggle without sleep just everyone else and I did not do that great on this workout. That said I do my very best to get up and can count less than a handful of times when I have not got up. My wife says I am OCD when it comes to swimming.
    Stewart, I admire and am in awe that you still go to practice after only a few hours of sleep. I don't know how you can function sometimes.
    Great to see you this morning Stewart! It's not easy to get me to the pool that early, but I must say I feel refreshed now. Ask me how I feel around 2:00 this afternoon.

Most of our workouts are structured sort of like this. There's a different emphasis every day, but it's almost always some kind of aerobic freestyle set followed by a stroke set and then either a sprint set, kicking, or some kind of drill. If you like to be surprised every day, Cascade Swim Club is not the place for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    That looks like an excellent P200 set and I could see that getting quite tough rather quickly. If I try it I will do the watered-down American SCY version though.
    (I assume the ez free swims are on the :50 per 50 interval.)
    i have been working on developing some 200 Pace sets for the kids I coach and they did this one this week also. I am a big fan of LCM and wish we swam it all year. I always find it much easier to come down to scy and way harder to go up from scy to LCM. Alas we swim a lot of scy across our pool.

I fixed the intervals. Thanks.
    That looks like an excellent P200 set and I could see that getting quite tough rather quickly. If I try it I will do the watered-down American SCY version though.
    (I assume the ez free swims are on the :50 per 50 interval.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Please tell me this was SCY!
    man I wish it was LCM. Yes it was scy.
    Please tell me this was SCY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Stewart, what's the shoulder issue? I know it started after your elbow recovered. But is it rotator cuff related? How are you managing it
    my doctor thinks I have a tear in my left rotator cuff. He does not know what the specific cause was but suspects I over compensated for my right elbow surgery. I am on anti inflammatory meloxicam(again). Pain is not too bad but not the best way to start training for a big meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    This is definitely not a long way out. I'm going to start training for Indy Nationals next May a year ahead

It would be very cool if you can do the altitude trip. I have never trained at altitude, but hope to do it someday as a Masters swimmer ahead of a big meet like you're planning. If OTC doesn't work out, we have a great new pool at Northern Arizona University, long course, indoors, that is perfect for altitude training.
    the kids camp is actually in grand junction. Should be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    "I know it's a long way out"

Not really. The long course season always seems so short! What kind of weekly distance are you putting in right now, Stewart?

Good luck with your training!
    i am around 20k right now but my times are way off what I have been in prior years both on short and long swims. I have been lifting hard since March when I was given the all clear by the surgeon. I am getting stronger but still way off.

I have a plan that gradually increases intensity and yardage before worlds and I am trying to convince myself I have plenty of time to get my fitness back to where it was.
    Stewart, what's the shoulder issue? I know it started after your elbow recovered. But is it rotator cuff related? How are you managing it
    NAU would be a great place for an altitude training camp. Lots of opportunities for sightseeing--if you've got the energy after training!
    This is definitely not a long way out. I'm going to start training for Indy Nationals next May a year ahead

It would be very cool if you can do the altitude trip. I have never trained at altitude, but hope to do it someday as a Masters swimmer ahead of a big meet like you're planning. If OTC doesn't work out, we have a great new pool at Northern Arizona University, long course, indoors, that is perfect for altitude training.
    "I know it's a long way out"

Not really. The long course season always seems so short! What kind of weekly distance are you putting in right now, Stewart?

Good luck with your training!
Page 1 of 120 123451151101 ... LastLast