View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Budapest Week 1 - Monday

by , May 1st, 2017 at 09:41 AM (After a long rest)
    Today marks the start of my focus on Budapest. I know it's a long way out but I wrote my season plan with Budapest as the light at the end of the tunnel. I am hoping to do 2 LCM meets as part of my build up and also to gradually increase both distance and intensity. The kids I am training are heading to Colorado for a 10 day altitude camp after 4th July and it's my hope to go on this trip. When I was in college we did an OTC trip and I have wanted to try altitude training as a master. I don't know yet how it's going to work out with me coaching and then trying to find time to swim myself. I plan on adding about 2k to my weekly distance each week until the altitude camp and then come down after the camp. I am going to train as if I am going to be competitive in Budapest but will back off if my body is not ready. I am carrying a shoulder injury that just won't go away which is not great but the elbow I had surgery on in December is doing awesome.

Pool Setup LCM
    Warm up
    400 Free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on 1min

main sets
    6x50 kick on 1min
    3x(1x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy,
    2x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy,
    3x50 at 400 Pace on 1min, 1x50 easy
    200 easy)
    3x200 Pull on 3mins

warm down
    6x50 working on DPS

I was able to hold :33 to my feet on the 50s. I wish I could say these were easy or even comfortabl but they were neither. I plan on doing this set weekly throughout the training for Budapest and will hopefully be able to get down to a tighter interval and hold pace.

Off to NYC with work for the day tomorrow!!! I have a terrible carbon footprint.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts