View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Budapest Week 1 - Friday

by , May 5th, 2017 at 10:09 AM (After a long rest)
    I went to bed at 7:30pm last night and slept solidly till midnight when I had to get up and use the bathroom. I was worried I would have trouble going back to sleep but as it turned out I think I fell asleep before my head even hit the pillow and slept solidly again until my alarm went off for practice.

Today was not as as hard as thought Tom planned on making practice. On one hand it was good but on the other I was kind of looki forward to the set he described on wednesday(100,125,150,175,200 all on 2mins). His modified version was fine but no where near as challenging. My training partner, Bill, was back in town visiting from Indiana today which on its own made for a great time. I did enjoy practice today and it was fun.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch-up on :50

main sets
    8x50 kick on 1min
    100 free with snorkel on 2mins
    125 free with snorkel on 2mins
    150 free with snorkel on 2mins
    175 free with snorkel on 2mins
    200 free with snorkel on 2mins
    200 ez
    16x25 on :30 odds choice drill, evens no breath free
    15 minutes of Tom time - vertical kick followed by Tom calling out what to do for a 25(fly, no breath free, corkscrew, etc)

warm down
    200 easy

just like yesterday I took a while to get going today. The kick I was feeling good and held :41s throughout. On the 100s I was holding 1:03s, the 1:25 I was 1:19, the 1:50 I was 1:33, 175 I was 1:50 and the 200 I was 1:59. I was not going super hard on these Andy instead focused on trying to keep my stroke long. My shoulder is still uncomfortable and I have avoided pushing too hard. The only one I pushed was the 200 and even it my splits were very consistent. Tome said I was :59/1min. He also said my turns and kick were both noticeably slower on the second 100 but he said my stroke looked longer. The Tom time was fun since we got a chance to laugh and joke as we were vertical kicking. All good today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Budapest Week 1 - Thursday

by , May 5th, 2017 at 09:56 AM (After a long rest)
    There is always something that happens to me the second morning after travel. Tuesday was my crazy long day and this morning it hit me hard. I was tired and it took some time to really get going.

Weights/Dryland
    10 minutes on stationary bike on highest setting trying to get my heart rate above 130.
    3 x(20x17.5 lbs doing forearm pronation and supination strengthening, 10 right arm and 10 left arm shoulder rotations using 12.5lbs , 10 right arm and 10 left arm elbow flexion and extension using 27.5lbs)
    3x(10xlat pull down to chest using 160lbs, 10xtricep rope pulldowns using 42.5 lbs, 10xstanding straight arm pull down using 80lbs)
    3x(10 triceps extension using 60lbs, 10 right arm and 10 left arm dumbbell rows using 50lbs, 10 left arm and 10 right arm lying dumbell triceps extensions using 25lbs)
    10minutes of stretching

swim setup LCM
    4x100 free with snorkel on 1:30
    8x50 catch-up on 1min
    6x50 kick on 1min
    200 easy

Despite being really tired I upped my weight in the last pulldowns and the shoulder rotation exercises. This is all good progress and I am almost back in the weight room to where I was pre surgery.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts