View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 95 - Friday

by , July 25th, 2014 at 10:56 AM (After a long rest)
    I had another late night and early morning last night and this morning. We watched TAGS finals last night and there were some truely amazing swims. 52. For a 14 year old on the 100 free(he is the same boy who won the 800 and then led off his 800 free relay in 1:54). Our team had some really good swims and is currently in 11th which is pretty awesome considering we are one of the newest programs at the meet.

This is morning I was tired and I am still feeling some slight discomfort at slower speeds in my left arm/shoulder. It's nothing bad but feels like a slight tear or abrasion. Luckily I don't feel it at moderate or fast pace. I am guessing I have better mechanics at faster speed. I swam with Nitro yet again today and on the sets with tempo I felt good. I would definitely say I don't have much easy speed but I am ok with that right now. I think my shorter events at worlds are going to be just fine and my self doubt as usual is around the longer events. Have I rested enough or too much. Can I hold the pace I want for my goal times. Etc.Water Rat you are not alone, but as usual with a taper the doubts will fade as the meet gets going. Fingers crossed I will hit my taper perfectly and if I don't I will do as good as I possibly can do and it will be what it will be. How about that for some taper zen.

Warm up
    300 free with snorkel
    200 kick
    300 pull with just bouy

Main sets
    1x50 kick fast on 1min
    4x50 alternating back and free build on 1min
    1x50 kick fast on 1min
    2x100 free build with snorkel on 1:45
    2x(300 pull no paddles pace, 200 pull no paddles moderate, 100 at 400 pace)

Warm down
    400 easy

Total 3000LCM

I felt good on the kick today and did pretty easy 44-45s. The 100s in the transition set Steve and I went 1:09s. On the main set we were holding good solid pace on the 300s and 200s I don't know the times because I had a hard time spotting the clock. I would guess we were holding 1:10ish. On the first fast pace 100 we went 1:04 and the second was 1:05-1:06 with both Steve and I deliberately easing up on the second one. The 100s felt pretty strong and with another week of rest I should be hitting my stride for a good week of swimming in Canadia(as I have been calling it; no disrespect intended. It started as a Freudian slip but has sort of stuck).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Week 95 - Thursday

by , July 24th, 2014 at 12:54 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a hectic day yesterday including a two hour delay leaving Dallas on Southwest to Austin. I had meetings in San Antonio so rented a car and rushed down to San Antonio for the afternoon. My wife and daughter drove down later in the day and we met up for dinner in Austin.

This is morning I swam with Nitro. It was a fun time swimming with and Mr Unruh and the gang at Nitro. This was a good taper workout with lots of rest and only a little bit of up tempo swimming.

Warm up
    300 free with snorkel
    300 back
    200 kick
    100 swim

Main sets
    2x(4x100 swum as
    #1 75 easy 25 fast
    #2 50 easy 50 fast
    #3 25 easy 75 fast
    #4 100 fast

16x50 on 1:15
    swum as 4x(50 easy, 50 build, 50 easy, 50 fast) alternating rounds of free and back

Warm down
    700 perfect stroke

We treated the 100s more like build than fast and got down to 1:05 on the fast one. I swam these all with a snorkel and felt good. The 50s I was going 32-33 on the fast back and 27-28s on the fast free. It was hard seeing the clock today so I maybe off a second on some of these.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 95 - Wednesday

by , July 23rd, 2014 at 09:05 AM (After a long rest)
    I had to travel to Montgomery Alabama with work yesterday and it was a long day. I got to the house around 9pm and after eating and cooling off I did not get to bed until 10pm which is late for me. In fact I don't recall the last time I was still awake at 10pm. It's rare. Anyhow, I had a good nights sleep and felt much better this morning than yesterday morning. Fingers crossed I will have a good week. I am heading to Austin and San Antonio for work today and tomorrow and then to cheer my daughter and her teammates at TAGS on Friday through Sunday. I plan on swimming with Mr Unruh at Nitro but I am under strict orders from my coach on total meters to swim and the amount of intensity. Mr Unruh and I tend to enjoy racing each other and if we are not careful limbs could be floating in the pool at the end of practice; I can't wait.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50

Main sets
    8x100 on 1:40 swum as 50 back, 50 free
    3x(200 build by 50 on 3 mins, 4x50 on 1min swum as 2x(12.5 fast, 12.5 easy))

Warm down
    400 easy

Total 3100LCM

nothing really to document other than the build 200s where I descended and went 2:24,2:22,2:20. I was on average 4 seconds quicker on the second 100 than the first. I felt long and strong on these.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 95 - Tuesday

by , July 22nd, 2014 at 09:34 AM (After a long rest)
    I had another good nights sleep but woke up pretty tired and achy for some reason. This feeling followed me into the pool today and I did not have my mojo today. I guess it's officially taper blues time! Fingers crossed this will all be behind me by the end of the week and I will be ready for worlds.

Warm up
    600 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x(2x50 on :35, 100 kick on 2:15, 200 free on 3:15)
    8x 100 free on 1:30 swum as 25 fast, 25 easy, 25 build, 25 over kick

Warm down
    5 x100 IM on 1:40

Total 3500LCM

I was holding 31-32 on the fast 50s and then going easy on the 100 kick and the 200 swim which I did with a snorkel. I just felt achy and fairly sluggish throughout today. Like I said this usually passes so fingers crossed this is the start of good things in a couple weeks. 12 days to go.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 95 - Monday

by , July 21st, 2014 at 10:28 AM (After a long rest)
    I had an awesome weekend. I spent time with both my kids, my wife and my parents. Saturday the weather was overcast but since we were watching my daughter at her meet it did not matter. Yesterday the weather was awesome; sunny and blue sky. We ended up grilling out last night and it was great fun. I ended up having a nap both days and stilld to get a full night of sleep both Saturday and Sunday night. I woke up just before my alarm went off and felt pretty good.
    Todays workout was fairly easy with mostly low to moderate intensity and medium yardage. We will be dropping yardage from here out; yeah!!!!

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50

Main sets
    10x100 free with snorkel perfect stroke on 1:30
    12x50 finger tip drill on 1 min
    8x25 Open, Close, Easy, Fast on :40
    3x300 pull on 4mins descend 1-4
    8x50 kick on 1min

Warm down
    100 easy

Total 4000LCM

I was feeling good on the 100s and was holding 1:15s throughout
    On the Open, Close, Easy, Fast we do 12.5 fast 12.5 easy on the open 25s, 12.5 easy and 12.5 fast on the close. These are fun and I felt good.The 300s pull I went 3:30, 3:28, 3:25. I felt a little stiff on these. The kick I was holding 45-48s.
    13 days to go.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 94 - Saturday

by , July 19th, 2014 at 11:58 AM (After a long rest)
    I had yet another great nights sleep. 3 in a row is rare for me! Today's workout was race based and was a lot of fast fun. When Tom told me meet warmup I did not know what to expect. My brain went through a list of really painful things we could be doing and when I heard the main set my heart initially sunk. It was very hard don't get me wrong but as usual not nearly as hard as my brain was telling me it would be; isn't that usually the way.

Warm up
    800 free with snorkel
    8x50 build on 1min
    8x25 open, close, easy, fast by 25 on :40

Main set
    5x100 with fins from the blocks on 5mins AFAP
    with a 100 easy after the 100.

Warm down
    300 easy

total 2900LCM

i felt good on the build 50s going 33-35. In particular my stroke felt long today. I seemed to be able to catch and feel the water much more than usual. On the 100s I did not know what to expect and to my surprise I went 51,51 on the first two 100s. On number 3 I was flying and had a great 50, only for my right fin to come off on the turn. On the last two I went 51, 50. My legs were hurting and obviously my lungs too but I really felt good and on top of the water and did not feel like I died at all. I was really pleased with this set.

After swim workout we did we did our last dryland abs workout before worlds, consisting of 10minutes split into two rounds of crunches, leg lift, planks, v sits and one arm one leg planks. We did 45 seconds on and 15 seconds off. These burned pretty good today. We are now officially in full taper. This was the first workout under 3k and we are done with weights(2 weeks ago) and abs and drylands. 15 days til the 800m free.

Now I am off to watch my daughter try to get her last BB or faster time in the 10and under age group with the 100 fly. This was one of her goals for the year and she has everything else so fingers crossed she will get her fly time.

---

I just got got back from my daughters meet and she dropped 20 seconds on her 100yd fly. She went from having a B time in the 10 and unders to just missing her AA time. She is very happy.

Updated July 19th, 2014 at 01:57 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 94 - Friday

by , July 18th, 2014 at 12:46 PM (After a long rest)
    My parents arrived from the UK yesterday for a 6 week stay,including our 2 week trip to Canada for worlds followed by a short vacation to Quebec City.They were jet lagged so after catching up and having dinner they went to bedpretty early and I took the opportunity to get another early night’ssleep. Surprisingly I slept through thenight and woke up about 5 minutes before my alarm was due to go off. I feltpretty good today and I am getting stronger and faster as the rest kicksin. I definitely feel good relative tohow I usually feel at this phase of the taper.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 drill on :50

Main sets
    12x50 drill build by 25 on 1min
    4x(broken 100 on 3mins, 2x50 kick on 1min, 1min rest
    #1 and #3broken at 25,50,25
    #2 and #4broken at 50,50
    With 5 seconds after 25s and 10seconds after 50)
    8x100 on 1:30 perfect easy swim
    2x200 kick on 3mins with fins
    50 AFAP from a dive

Warm down
    200 easy

Total 3550LCM

Broken 100s long course are always hard. #1 and #3 were especially hard due to thechallenge with hitting the mid point of the pool, spotting the clock, startingwith no push, etc. Despite thesechallenges I had a good set, and was about 1:02 on #1 and #3 and was 1min on #2and #4 which I think are fairer reflections of a 100. I felt strong throughout. The 8x100s I swameasy and came in on 1:18-1:20. The 50from the blocks we raced and it was a lot of fun. We are going to have a reallyquick mens relay at worlds with 4 of us under 27’s and 2 of us likely to be around25(or faster I hope). I had a great start and break out and was ahead of thegroup and held good form the entire 50. The only thing I think I would have done different in a race was to holdmy breath, instead of breathing 3-4 times. I looked up and saw a 26high which I was very surprised and pleasedwith. 17 days to go!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 94 - Thursday

by , July 17th, 2014 at 05:06 PM (After a long rest)
    I fell asleep on the couch at 7.30 last night and ended up going to bed around 8pm. I ended up sleeping all night and even felt tired when I woke up. I felt pretty good in the pool today(probably all the rest).

Warm up
    800 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x(200 free on 2:30, 2x100 kick on 2mins, 2x50 AFAP on 1:30)

Warm down
    8x100 drill swim by 25 on 1:45

Total 3600LCM

I unintentionally descended the 200s by round going 2:24,2:22,2:20,2:17. Pic focused on relaxing and keeping my stroke long. On the kick piece I was slower on the first of the two 100s but held 1:45-1:47s. The 50s AFAP I held 30s until the last round when I went 29s. I felt good today. 17 more days.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 94 - Wednesday

by , July 16th, 2014 at 02:38 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a much better nights sleep last night and felt good in the water today. I still feel tired generally but feel good where I am relative to the taper.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup

Main sets
    4x(2x100 on 1:20, 2x50 back on 1min)
    6x100 kick on 2:15
    12x50 with tempo trainer set to 16 seconds with the goal of holding 32 with one beep of rest

Warm down
    5x100 free on 1:40

Total 3600LCM

The 100s on 1:20 were harder than they should have been. The kick I held 1:45s and felt pretty easy. The pace set was hard work. I held the tempo but it was a lot of hard work. The last two I picked up and finished with 30s on these. 18days to go.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 94 - Tuesday

by , July 15th, 2014 at 02:00 PM (After a long rest)
    I had another restless nights sleep last night and woke up pretty tired. I did some abs work after work last night which made me pretty tired and went to sleep very quickly but work up around 1.30am. I was hot and tossed and turned the rest of the night. I did not feel very good during the warmup this morning but finally got going on the first part of the main set. We did broken 400's which is a beating at the best of times but today I felt pretty strong despite my times being slower than I hoped for.

Warm up
    6x200 with snorkel on 3mins

Main set
    3x(2x50 free on :40, 1x100 kick on 2mins, 1x100IM on 2mins)
    2x400 on 10mins broken as
    #1 200,200
    #2 100,200,100
    with 20 seconds after any 200 and 10 seconds after any 100.

Warm down
    4x200 on 3 mins with snorkel

Total 3700LCM

On the broken 400 by 200 I was 4:40 with even splits on each 200 which I was very happy with at this phase of the taper(day2) We still have 19 days so plenty of time to get some more speed, but my pacing was very good and I felt strong the whole way. The second 400 I did not feel as strong but my splits were still consistent and I went 4:38 add up. These are the best 400's I think I have done in practice so I cant argue with that.

Updated July 15th, 2014 at 07:52 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 94 - Monday

by , July 14th, 2014 at 01:51 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a rough nights sleep last night, I had a lot on my mind and was very hot all night. My daughter just missed a couple of individual TAGS times yesterday and she exited the 100 back in tears(which only lasted a few minutes), but my heart went out to her. We have always focused on personal best times and I was so proud of her when she came out of the pool and gave me a hug and said that she was pleased with her swim(you could tell she was upset with the start) because it was a best time. I almost teared up when she said that. I also learnt a lesson yesterday about what I must have put my own mother through as a child(sorry Mum). For the first time yesterday I realised that it hurts the parent and not just the child when your child does not get what they have worked so hard for. I have done my best to not coach and not put any pressure on her and have tried keeping the big picture of swimming for life at the forefront of all our conversations but you do second guess yourself and I kept asking if I was part of the reason she missed her time. I have no intention of mentioning her missing her goal but rather to continue setting goals and encouraging her toward her goals with the #1 part being to have fun. You can probably tell I am very proud of her.

I was awake as the alarm crept toward 4.30am and just got up without the alarm going off. Todays workout felt surprisingly good and smooth. I did not feel very fast but I did feel strong and my times were pretty consistent today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 50

Main sets

4x(300 smooth on 4mins with paddles, 4x50 build on 1min)
    6x(100 kick with fins on 1.45, 2x50 kick with fins on 1min)

Warm down
    6x100 on 1.30 with snorkel perfect swim

Total 4500LCM

I was holding 3:30-3:33 on the 300's with paddles and then built each 50 to 33-34 on the 50's. The kick was interesting and I held 1:15 on the easy 100 and then 30-31's on the fast 50's with fins. I felt good today.

20 more days til worlds!

Psych sheets were released today for worlds (there's a link on the usms forums) and I am ranked 3rd in the 800, 6th in the 200 and 2nd in the 400. I am also swimming the the 50 free(this will be interesting to see if I have enough speed to place top 10) and the 100 free. There are some very strange entry times in many different age groups. My event rankings seem to line up with what I know of the domestic and international competition. Looks like there are some really fast guys in my age(I suspect all ages). I am looking forward to some really fast racing.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 93 - Saturday

by , July 12th, 2014 at 11:34 AM (After a long rest)
    The regional championship meet is being held at our pool so this affected our workout slightly this morning. We normally swim at 7am on a Saturday but had to start at 6:30am and we had lots of kids shuffling around at 7:30am so we had to get out pretty quick.

My my daughter is swimming at the champs meet and it's been fun again to see her drop more time on everything she has swum so far. I am so excited that she is having fun. Despite missing her goal to qualify for TAGS on the 200IM last night she dropped another 4 seconds and missed the cut by about a second. When you consider she has knocked about 25 seconds off her 200IM this season it's hard to be anything other than very proud and I keep telling how proud i am of her.

Todays workout was a mix of speed related sets and I again am feeling pretty good.

Warmup
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

main sets
    4x(50 fast on 35, 50 fast on 1min, 100 easy on 1:40)
    16x50 kick on 1min
    8x100 on 2mins swim as 25fast,25easy,25build,25 fast

warm down
    3x300 with snorkel easy perfect stroke

Total 4000LCM

i was holding 30-31 on the fast 50s and felt pretty good and strong. The kick I was holding 47-50s. The 100s were really fun and felt strong and smooth on the fast portions. I was coming in under 1:10 on all of these so felt really good about this set. The 300s I felt smooth.

We did our last dryland after practice and I hit this very hard. We did 3 rounds of(5mins of Abs(crunches, leg extension, planks, v sits, one arm one leg planks) done as 45 secs on, 15 secs rest, 5mins of vasa swim trainer).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 93 - Friday

by , July 11th, 2014 at 02:59 PM (After a long rest)
    To this point in my adult life I have not been a fan of massages; I know that too many this reaffirms how weird I am, but there is something about a stranger touching me that I have always found quite off putting. This all said I have changed my mind. Due to my soreness I asked my wife to arrange a deep tissue massage for me. I think my actual words were, "please arrange for a former east german swimmer to pound on my back and shoulders for an hour and a half". When I showed up for my appointment I definitely did not have anyone that looked like my description. Instead TC was a very small South Korean man with a very soft voice. You can imagine what I was thinking! After about 30 seconds I realised TC was a very skilled massage expert who also must have been a former Judo world champion. I went from speaking to complete silence within 30 seconds. I have never ever felt so much pain and pleasure in my life. TC continued to beat, stretch, twist and thump my back, shoulders, neck and legs for another 1.5 hours. When I was done I had not said a word, I was out of breath, and mush. At the end of my appointment I made my next one and signed up for the once a month massage for the next year(seriously). It was awesome.

I had a lousy nights sleep, probably due to the pain, and pleasure of the massage, and probably only got a couple of hours of sleep before I had to get up for practice. Todays workout was much less yardage again(second day in a row). I felt sore from the massage in the warmup but when we got to the main set I felt pretty good and had a great set of 50s at 800m pace. I am feeling much better than I thought at this point with only 23 days til worlds.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 alternating finger tip drag and catchup on :50

Main sets
    10x50 drill build by 25 on 1min
    20x50 with tempo trainer holding 33.5 per 50 to my feet on 1:07(one beep of rest on the tempo trainer)
    6x100 kick on 2mins

Warm down
    700 LCM with snorkel perfect swim

Total 3500LCM

On the 50s at 800 pace I was comfortably holding 32-33s and on the last 6 picked up the pace dropping to 28 on the last one. There was quite a bit of rest on these pace 50s but I felt like I had a lot of easy speed. I am feeling really good and more rest will really help. Considering we have not even really started our taper yet I am swimming very well at the moment.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 93 - Thursday

by , July 10th, 2014 at 01:59 PM (After a long rest)
    I went to the pool last night and did a really good dryland workout consisting of 3 rounds of(5 minutes of Abs done as 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off; crucnhes, leg lifts, v sits, planks, one arm one leg planks, and 5 minutes on the vasa swim trainer). I cant definitively say I have never ever sweat so much in my entire life. Surprisingly I felt pretty good both during and after this session. We did an 800m loosen up swim after the dryland workout and again I felt pretty decent.

I slept like a rock last night and woke feeling ok this morning. I still have soreness across the top of my back and shoulders but it feels like its getting better. Todays workout was less distance but higher intensity and despite not feeling rested I felt lighter and easier in the water.

Warm up
    4x200 with snorkel on 3mins swum as drill swim by 50

Main sets

4x(2x50 on :40, 1x100 kick on 2mins) with instructions to get heart rate up
    200 easy
    3x(broken 200 on 5 mins, swum as #1 50,100,50 #2 100,100 #3 100,50,50 with 10 secs rest after 50s and 15 after 100s)
    4x100 on 2mins perfect swim
    8x50 on 1 min swum @800 pace

Warm down
    100 easy

Total 3300LCM

On the transition set I held 33s on the 50s and 1:45s on the kick 100s. On the broken 200s I went 2:14, 2:12, 2:10. The first one I was not aggressive enough on the first 50 but as the set went on I got better. I was pretty pleased with this set and even more excited about how I felt. The pace 50s I was holding 33-34s to my feet.

The broken 200s definitely hurt but no where near as much as I hurt last week on a similar set(scy). I start my taper on Sunday(3 weeks out) and I am in better condition for sure than previous tapers and really excited for worlds.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 93 - Wednesday

by , July 9th, 2014 at 10:48 AM (After a long rest)
    I went to bed early last night because I was really tired. I woke this morning still feeling physically tired. When I got to the pool Tom said we would be doing a long recovery type workout, which sounded good. Despite the word recovery I was whooped today. In particular my arms seemed heavy and sore today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 on :50 catchup

Main set
    6x500 on 7:30 swum as 2 perfect stroke, 1 kick, 2 build, 1 perfect stroke

Warm down
    12x50 finger tip drill on 1min

Total 4300LCM

Nothing really to comment on today other than it felt like a really long workout. I am heading back tonight for dryland and an easy swim. Fingers crossed I will start to feel better soon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 93 - Tuesday

by , July 8th, 2014 at 08:39 AM (After a long rest)
    I got ahead of myself in my Saturday post when I said we were done with dry lands before worlds. I got a text yesterday from coach saying he wanted 30 mins of drylands and an 800 easy swim last night. Looks like we will be doing abs and vasa swim trainer this week before full taper kicks in next week(I can't wait).

So last night I did 15 mins of abs, 15 mins of the vasa swim trainer and the 800 easy swim. I did the workout as 3 rounds of 5 mins of abs and 5 mins on the vasa trainer. The abs work I did, 45 seconds on and 15 off, consisting of crunches, v-sits, leg lifts, planks and cycle sitting. We have two types of vasa trainer; one that you lay stationary and paddle and one that's inclined and you pull your body along the bench, I alternated between the two machines.

I had a good nights sleep but this morning I was sore and tired; in particular my arms were heavy today.

Warm up
    600 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x(3x50 on :40, 1x100 on 1:10, 100 easy on 2mins)
    3x300 perfect stroke on 4 mins
    3x(100 kick on 2mins, 50 AFAP on 1min, 50 back on 1 min)

Warm down
    10x50 finger tip drill on 1min

Total 4000LCM

I hurt most of the main set and had very heavy arms. I held 33-35 on the 50s and was touch and go on the fast 100. The 300s I was cruising and getting about 10 secs rest, although once again my arms felt very heavy. I finally got going on the next set when one of my training partners put fins on and started racing on the fast 50s. I was 30,30,29 from a push by round. Hopefully I will feel a little better tomorrow. As I write this my shoulders are wrapped in ice and hope this makes my shoulders feel better.

Updated July 8th, 2014 at 08:46 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 93 - Monday

by , July 7th, 2014 at 08:38 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a good relaxing day yesterday and had an early night. Despite this I was physically tired this morning and felt quite sluggish in the pool; by no means was I slow but everything seemed to drag on today and everything took more effort than usual. i guess I would not really expect to feel any different after last week.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup drill on :50

Main sets
    10x200 pull on 3mins
    12x50 drill swim by 25 on 1min
    6x100 kick on 2mins
    8x25 AFAP on :40

Total 4100LCM

i was holding 2:21-2:23s on the 200s. The 100s kick in particular I felt really tired. I finally got going on the 25s and actually felt pretty decent.

After practice Tom told me he wants me to do 30mins dryland Monday,Wednesday and Saturday this week consisting of 15mins abs and 15mins vasa swim trainer followed by 800 easy swim so I guess I will be back at the pool tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 92 - Saturday pm(training camp)

by , July 5th, 2014 at 05:37 PM (After a long rest)
    I did not have as much of a gap between this mornings swim and this afternoons swim but did not really care because this was the last swim and dryland sessions of the training camp. This afternoon was just as difficult as this morning to loosen up but like this morning got going on the main set. This was by no means my best workout of the week but I gave it everything I had left and overall I had an awesome week.

Warm up
    2x500 free with snorkel
    6x100 build on 1:30

Main sets
    4x(2x50 back on 1 min, 2x100 IM on 1:40)
    6xbroken 100s, 2@25s, 2@50, 2@25,50,25 on 4mins, with 5 seconds rest at 25s, 10 seconds rest at 50s
    100 easy

Warm down
    8x100 perfect stroke free with snorkel on 1:40

Total 4300LCM

Due to the fact that he broken 100s were swum long course breaks at mid pool were tough spotting a clock, judging the mid point, not over shooting the mid point mark and starting without a push. This said, I was right at a minute on the first 2 and the last 2, and the ones broken at 50 which I think are a truer swims I went 58s. I hurt pretty bad on this set and felt like I was thrashing the water as opposed to a composed long stroke.

After swimming we we did dry lands.

15 mins of abs, 45 seconds on, 15 rest
    6x(5 x pull ups, 10 x shoulder bands, 15 x lunges, 20 x squats)
    6x(5 x streamline jumps, 10 x vasa swim bench pull-ups, 15 x dips, 20 x high knee lifts)

We are officially done with our world masters training camp. This was our last dryland and weight workout before worlds. I will likely add a couple of sessions each week until worlds dedicated to stretching. We have a transition week next week and then a 3 week taper. My first event is 4 weeks tomorrow. Can't wait!

Updated July 5th, 2014 at 05:53 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 92 - Saturday am(training camp)

by , July 5th, 2014 at 11:46 AM (After a long rest)
    I hurt in places I never knew I could hurt when I woke up this morning. The soles of my feet were in agony and I could not figure out why they hurt and then I realized the way I got out of the pool yesterday was putting my feet on the gutter and pulling myself up. Who would know you could hurt on the bottom of your feet.

This mornings workout was tough and I did not think I was ever going to loosen up but I finally did. After the first 100 of the warmup I seriously thought this was going to be a really bad workout but after I loosened up I had a great main set.

Warm up
    8x100 free with snorkel on 1:30
    12x50 catchup drill on 1min

Main sets
    5x100 on 1:25
    4x100 on 1:20
    3x100 on 1:15
    2x100 on 1:10
    1x100 on 1:05
    200 easy

Warm down
    8x50 kick on 1min
    100 easy

Total 3600LCM

on the main sets I held 1:07-1:09 until the 1:10 round and then picked it up and went 1:06s on the 1:10s and went 1:03 on the final 100. My team mate in the next lane skipped one of the 1:15s and put fins on. This really helped me on the 1:10s and 1:05, as I used him as the rabbit. I was really fired up after this set because it's the first time I have made it to 1:05.

We we have one more swim and one more dryland to complete the training camp. Roll on 4pm this afternoon!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 92 - Friday(training camp)

by , July 4th, 2014 at 11:40 AM (After a long rest)
    My wife and I went out for dinner with one of my team mates and his wife last night. We went to an English pub/restaurant that just opened in Rockwall called the Londoner. The food was typically English and despite me being English it was a little too greasy for my taste in general. I had a scotch egg as a starter which I have never had in the US. It was pretty good but again a little greasy. They had a good beer selection but since I am not drinking I was unable to take advantage of the selection. It's hard to believe I have not had any alcohol in almost two years.

I had had an ok nights sleep but was tired this morning. It felt like it took me forever to warm up today. We had a great crowd at this mornings session and we swam the main set together which was fun. Tom comes up with some awesome sets and this was an interesting and fun(in a very sick way) set.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    12x50 drill swim on 1 min

Main sets
    200 fast
    38x50 on 2mins AFAP

Warm down
    300 easy

Total 3400 LCM

The idea behind the main set was that we are celebrating the 238th anniversary of our countries existence so this was a 200 and a 38 set. We had a few visitors today and one of whom was our 12 year old number 1 nationally ranked 100 swimmer. I know Emma pretty well and she has swum with our masters team a number of times in the past. She and I had to do all 38 x 50s from a dive and different members of our group took turns in keeping Emma and I company. The 200 I went a 2:16. I broke the 38x50s into blocks of 10 with 2x50s easy and then finished with 2x50s hard. I know this is hard to believe but I held 27-28 on all the fast 50s(that's 32 of them). I would not have been able to do this without my team getting up and racing me throughout.

There is no other way of describing this main set other than as hell. I hurt really badly but kept focus on each 50 and tried forgetting during each 50 how many we had left. I was really happy with how I did and honestly I did not expect to have both speed and endurance at this phase of the camp.

Our group going to worlds have worked there butts off this week and they deserve a lot of credit for all the energy put forth. Two more workouts to go on the training camp.

i almost forgot that that I did weights after practice today also. I did my normal 3 rounds with 10,8,6 reps per round at 80%, max, fail also by round.

3x(leg press, leg extension, leg curls, lunges, squats, lower back extension)

Updated July 4th, 2014 at 11:58 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast