View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 130 - Saturday

by , March 28th, 2015 at 02:21 PM (After a long rest)
    I slept like a baby last night and felt ok when I woke up but could have done with a couple more hours of sleep. I think a nap is in order later today. My ear is still not back to normal and suspect I will have yet another doctors visit next week. My allergic reaction to the shot has completely come out and I look like a teen with acne. I have blisters on my chin, cheek and ear. Despite this I do feel much better than I did earlier in the week. Today the pool was setup LCM and we did our 16x100 set done at 400 pace. Today was a big welcome back to long course. Oh did I hurt.

Warm up
    8x100 on 1:30 with a snorkel
    8x50 kick on 1min

main set
    16x100 on 2:10 at 400 race pace(1:05)

warm down
    200 easy

i started at 1:05 but soon slipped into a 1:06 pattern. This set hurt so much more than the scy version. On 12 I felt like I was going to throw up but somehow this feeling translated into a pop in my ear at the turn and I had instant pain relief in my ear. It was almost like a pocket of pressure let go. I skipped 13 and then finished out the last 3 holding 1:07s. This set hurt a lot and I mean a lot. I think after taper it's going to take several weeks to be able to get to 16 at 400 pace.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 130 - Friday

by , March 27th, 2015 at 02:43 PM (After a long rest)
    I am finally starting to feel a little better. I am still taking the decongestants and have some discomfort but its now at the point I would not describe it as pain. I slept well last night and was looking forward to swimming this morning.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50

Main sets
    10x50 with snorkel on :35
    4x200 kick on 3:30
    3x(3x25 no breathing on :30, 75 kick done as over, under, over on 1:30)
    5x50 with snorkel on :35 holding :30
    straight into 250 with snorkel holding :30 pace on :35 base
    straight into 5x50 with snorkel on :35 holding :29

Warm down
    10x50 drill swim on 1min

This was a throwback workout for me with a lot of pace work.

The transition 50s I held 31/32s. On the 200s kick I held 2:50s. The 25s no breathers I was holding 13s and then using the 75s kick as active recovery.

On the set of 5x50's I held :30's but they hurt a lot and then went straight into the 250 where I went 2:34 which meant I held :30s and this hurt even more. On the last 5x50s I hurt and was really working hard to go 30s until the last 50 where I dropped a :28. This set was quite encouraging because I was swimming with a snorkel and as such did not cheat by looking at the clock as I was swimming, so these were all off of the pace I felt.

Tom said we will be going LCM tomorrow. I am not sure if I am really excited about our 16x100s at 400/500 race pace.

-------
    Update after the meeting at my sons school.

For or those who have been following the Carroll drama about my sons two concussions will be pleased to know I made it through the meeting without swearing or dragging anyone across the table. We started with them asking us about his current accommodations and whether they were working. From there I hijacked there agenda and took the meeting where I wanted it to go. When I started my wife's body language was classic, she looked away and sighed but over the next 30 minutes she realized I was in control and was being as deliberate about my words to communicate our concerns but also to emphasis the importance and lack of caring we felt from the school throughout this whole incident.

First, there was only the school councilor and assistant principal in attendance. I had probably overthought how I was going to make them aware of my concerns but had decided to make them understand the severity of our concerns by asking them how they would feel if they were told by Children's Hospital that there child had a SWOLLEN BRAIN and would LIKELY have a full recovery. I told them that from every point of interaction with the school we felt they were not taking these incidents seriously, reinforced by the fact that the coach, nurse and principal had not even attended today. They were busy!

I then told them what we wanted; a documented incident report from the coach and nurse, a detailed description of the schools policies and procedures for managing PE and incidents related to head injuries, and a written report of how my sons incident happened and what specifically they were going to do to safe guard my child. My son sat in with us and as they tried telling us there procedures he described how they had not been followed. They agreed to all my demands and agreed to set another meeting with the teacher, the nurse and the principal to review the findings and document next steps. They committed they would have the conversation with the principal and email us some dates for a follow up meeting by next Tuesday morning. I finished with, if I did not hear from them by the middle of next week with a follow up date I would be taking more drastic action to protect my son. I told them I will not allow a 3rd incident and will hold them both personally and professionally responsible if there was no next step to correct the issues. I think I put the fear of God into them.

My wife gave me a hug after the meeting and said she was very proud of me and actually said she did not realize how manipulative I could be to get what I wanted. My son who was in the room teared up a couple of times while I was describing how important he is to us and after the meeting he told me he loved me.

Thanks for all the great well wishes the past few weeks. This has been very tough on lots of levels for my wife and I and I do genuinely appreciate all the support from you all.

Updated March 27th, 2015 at 06:54 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 131 - Thursday

by , March 26th, 2015 at 09:32 PM (After a long rest)
    I spoke to a friend after workout yesterday who is going through nursing school and she said I should sit out for a day. I decided to head nurse Nikki's advice and this morning I did dry lands and stayed out of the water. I actually felt a little better this morning and as I write this for the first time in a few days I have no constant pain in my ear. Thanks Nikki.

Today I focused on lots and lots of abs.

5x(1:30 on vasa swim trainer, :30 rest)
    5x(extended flutter kick, oblique crunches, leg lift, planks, extended flutter kicks) done as :45 on and :15 transition. With 1min at the end of each round.

I will no doubt be sore tomorrow.

Psych sheets for Nationals are interesting. When I saw the entry list I was very pleasantly surprised how many fast guys had entered the meet. When the psych sheets were posted I was almost as surprised that some of those I expected to enter my events had actually entered other events. It's interesting to see the world record holder in the 200 LCM free(Nicolas Granger from Francce) enter the meet but not enter the 200 free. I was expecting to see Michael Ross and Ross Davis in the 200 free as well. It will still be a very fast race but I was expecting one of those 3 to go close to David Sims record.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 130 - Wednesday

by , March 25th, 2015 at 09:31 PM (After a long rest)
    I felt pretty hideous again this morning but as they say, if it does not kill you it will make you stronger. I was pretty tired from the get go today and really only swam the 16x50s hard today deciding to cruise the rest(although it still felt horrible).

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45

main sets
    8x75 kick on 1:20
    16x50 on :50 at 200 race pace
    200 easy
    400 IM done as drill build by 25 with :30 rest
    400 free negative split with :30 rest
    400 IM done as drill build by 25 with :30 rest

warm down
    10x50 on 1min done with 12.5 scy under water dolphin kicking

i held 26/27s on the 50s but was hurting pretty bad. I think I am adjusting to the time though since I made my goal time feeling like crap and sick. I guess that's a good thing. I guess this does not matter too much since we only have a week or so til I start tapering but the dilemma is whether to reduce the send off or increase the pace. I am leaning towards increasing my pace on the same send off.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 130 - Tuesday

by , March 24th, 2015 at 10:17 PM (After a long rest)
    I ended up having a reaction to the antibiotic shot I got at the urgent care and have a rash on the right side of my face and even had a little more swelling this morning. I still did dry lands and a very easy swim but felt pretty hideous this morning. After practice I went to see my GP and was put on a stronger course of antibiotics.

Dry land
    5x(vasa swim bench done as 1:30 on and :30 rest)
    3xabs(flutter with arms extended like backstroke, oblique crunches, leg extension, planks, flutter with arms extended like backstroke)

Swim
    400 free with snorkel
    4x100 kick on 2mins
    4x100 pull on 1:30
    200 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 130 - Monday

by , March 23rd, 2015 at 07:32 PM (After a long rest)
    I have been feeling pretty cruddy for a couple of weeks and put it down to stress at work and stress associated with my sons concussion which I definitely have, however after the meet on Saturday I woke from a nap with an ear ache. Saturday night I slept solid but woke with the feeling like I had swallowed a broken glass. I ended up going to urgent care and found out I had a pretty bad inner ear infection. I was given a shot and put on a course of antibiotics. I woke this morning feeling SO much better. At practice I almost felt back to normal, and I now have no ear or throat pain, which is terrific because I am such a whimp when it comes to being sick. Its weird and I would be interested to hear whether other swimmers are the same way; I can put up with almost any level physical pain associated with swimming, but have almost zero tolerance for pain associated with being sick.

Todays workout was fun and I swam pretty quick.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    10x50 catchup on :45

Main sets
    4x(300 pull with paddles on 4mins (1:20 base), 200 with paddles on 2:30 (1:15 base), 100 free on 1:10)
    6x125 kick on 2mins

Warm down
    10x50 with snorkel working on DPS on 1min

I got to the pool early so did an extended warm up. On the main set I was cruising the 300s holding 3:05-3:07, I worked the 200s going 2:02, 2:01, 2mins, 1:58 by round and then tried holding 500 pace on the 100s going :58s throughout. Despite this being a tough set the kick sets was even harder. I was getting about 10 seconds rest on the 125's.

Fingers crossed a good night of sleep and some more meds and I will be back to my normal self pretty soon.

My son got his diagnosis today, and he has swelling of the brain consistent with a double concussion in a short space of time. He will heal and there will be no long term affects but he has to do half days at school for a while, no physical activity, no tests and as much sleep as he needs. I was somehow thinking I would be relieved by a diagnosis but honestly I am more scared. I am also now even more p*ssed off at the school and will be fired up when I meet with the principal. I just hope I am able to keep it together when trying to discuss this with them. I am not a very emotional person(perhaps its my British upbringing) but I have felt quite teary since my wife phoned with the diagnosis. I am guessing this is a natural reaction!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. DAM Short Course Meet

by , March 21st, 2015 at 08:32 PM (After a long rest)
    Today myself and 4 of my team mates attended the rescheduled DAM Spring meet at the Highland Park High School. Highland Park is a very affluent area of Dallas and I was expecting a nice new pool but that was most definitely not the pool we swam in. The pool looked like it was from the 1950s and was VERY dated and had the huge high gutters I recall from pools I swam in as a kid. The temperature of the pool was great but the shallow end was really shallow, the blocks were very short and the electronic timing did not work. Despite all this I had fun.

After seeing Stephanie Stone and Bill Elizondo swim IMs at the SPMS scm meet in December I was motivated to enter the IMs. It made a nice change and in a sick way I enjoyed swimming them. I had a fun day going:

4:37.x on 400IM
    2:07.3 on 200IM
    :57.7 on 100IM

I had hoped to swim a little faster but all things considering I was happy. I did not die on any of these events and would have been curious to see splits however I doubt if I will ever see these due to timing. I doubt these will become staple events but I will definitely swim these again in the future.

It was great catching up with flystorms!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 129 - Friday

by , March 20th, 2015 at 10:42 AM (After a long rest)
    After yesterdays stress I was really tired this morning and had every intention of going easy but was thrown out of whack pretty quickly this morning. I for some reason took my wifes SUV to the pool, thus leaving the pool key which is on my key ring at the house, and also left my swim bag which had equipment plus goggles in it. Since I wear prescription goggles it really sucked today. The warm up felt off without my snorkel and generally I both hurt and felt out of sorts today. Our send off times were tough today.

Warm up
    400 free
    6x50 catchup on :50

Main sets
    4x(200 IM on 2:40, 4x50 drill, build on :50 by 25 and by stroke per round)
    100 easy
    16x25 free at 100 race pace with a turn on :40
    5x100 kick on 2mins best average

Warm down
    100 easy

I was holding between 2:25 and 2:30 on the IMs which normally feels ok, but today it hurt really bad. There were a lot of people coughing so I suspect the chlorine was high. On the 50s drill/swim I felt awful! On the 16x25s I was holding 12/13s to my feet which is good for me but again felt out of sorts. The kicks I had the guy in the next lane descending and while I held 1:21s throughout he dropped from 1:28 to 1:19 and of course me being me I could not back off. I am my own worst enemy when someone is in the next lane to me; my inner racer always seems to show himself no matter how tired I am

My son seems much better today and we are off to the neurologist this afternoon, so fingers crossed he gets a good report.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 129 - Thursday

by , March 19th, 2015 at 01:48 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a massage last night and it was fine, but I felt like I still had knots after the 90 min massage despite the best efforts of the masseuse. I slept really well but once again woke up tired and sore; probably a combination of my pre massage soreness and the massage itself. With the meet this weekend and feeling generally rough I decided to go a little easier today or at least that was my thought when I started!

Instead of lifting I decided I would do dry land instead and focused primarily on my core. Instead of doing 3 rounds or 15 minutes of abs I decided to do 4 rounds and add one extra stomach exercise per round so 24 minutes of abs. I don't know why I thought this would be going easier but I did. I was hurting after round 1 but stuck with it and made it through the abs. I was feeling pretty crappy so decided to swim until I felt loose and get out.

Dryland
    10 mins on vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on, :30 off x 5
    4 x (flutter, oblique crunches, v-sits, leg extension, planks, flutter) done as :45 on :15 transition and 1 min between rounds.

Swim
    4x100 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

So I got home feeling better after my stretch swim, and as I came in the door my wife and daughter were engaged in world war 3. I avoided getting sucked in but it seemed to revolve around my daughter being messy and turning everything out where ever she is. My wife spent yesterday clearing up and within an hour of being home my daughter had obliterated any sign of my wife's work; she was upset!

So at work I had a good morning, but just received a call from my wife and apparently my son was again knocked out during school PE. Same kid and same teacher as the accident a few weeks ago that left him concussed. My wife said he appeared more coherent than the last one but its very disconcerting and makes me seriously question what is going on in the PE class and why this cant be prevented.

What's the expression about what does not kill us makes us stronger! The Carroll's are going to be very strong at this rate! If my mother is reading this, he is OK. I promise, but its very worrying!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 129 - Wednesday

by , March 18th, 2015 at 10:51 PM (After a long rest)
    Today has been crazy busy and I dI'd not have much time to write my blog so one is late and I'll be short. Very busy work day and ended the day with a massage.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on :45

main sets
    12x25 on :40 open, close, easy, fast
    16x50 free on :50 at 200 race pace
    200 easy
    2x(400 IM on 6mins, 300 kick on 4:45, 200 IM on 3mins, 100 kick on 1:45)

warm down
    200 easy

i held 26/27s on the 50s but was hurting from #3 on. I never hit any easy speed today. I was proud I hung on but it REALLY hurt. The rest was swum aerobically and I was whooped at the end of this one.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 129 - Tuesday

by , March 17th, 2015 at 09:44 PM (After a long rest)
    I got home from work late last night to be greeted at the door by my daughter who had arranged to meet a fellow swimmer at the pool. Her team take two weeks off after TAGS and this is the second of the two weeks. Last week she was adamant she did not want to swim but opted on her own accord to swim 3 times. While this week she made no predictions I knew she was ready to get back in when she sparked me on Sunday about public swimming times. So I headed to the pool to drop her off and then realized she only had 45 mins so grabbed a quick sandwhich before heading back to pick her up. On the way home she informed me that her and her friend were swimming this morning with me. I woke my daughter up at 4:30am and she got up with no complaints and even seemed in a good mood for the time. I open the pool on Tuesday and Thursday so we arrived an hour or so before her friend had promised to show up. My daughter warmed up with me doing a rowing machine while I did the vasa and joined me on abs which was fun. Feom 5:45am on she was looking for her friend who subsequently did not show up. My daughter swum with me and we had fun but she was upset at her friend.

10mins on vasa swim trainer done as 5x(1:30 on, :30 off)
    3x5mins of abs(flutter,oblique crunches, leg extension, planks, flutter) done as :45 on :15 transition except on the last round where I did 1min on the last set of flutter kicks.

Swim
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    4x100 kick on 2mins
    8x50 on 1min alternating fly, free by 50
    200 easy

today was fun!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 129 - Monday

by , March 16th, 2015 at 08:46 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a VERY lazy weekend which is what I really needed after a lot of travel the past few weeks. In fact I knapped both Saturday and Sunday and still went to bed early both days and slept easily through the night. On Saturday night in fact I had 13 hrs of sleep which is so unusual for me. This morning I was still tired but felt way better. My shoulder felt a lot better today also so the rest helped.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    8x100 drill build by 50 on 1:30
    3x(3x200 free descend 1-3 on 2:40, 200 kick on 3:30)
    12x25 under water with find on :40
    6x50 fast free on 1min

warm down
    200 easy

on the main set 200s I went 2:06,2:04,2:01, 2:04,2:01, 1:58, 2:04, 2:00, 1:57. I used the 200s kick as active recovery going 2:55s. I ran out of time this morning and had to skip the fast 50s.

I have the rescheduled DAM meet this weekend and I am looking forward to swimming some off events. Should be fun and we have a pretty decent team representation which will be great also.

Updated March 16th, 2015 at 10:14 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 128 - Saturday

by , March 14th, 2015 at 01:54 PM (After a long rest)
    I had another great night of sleep but I was really tired today. I felt good in the water but generally was just tired. Yoga kind of felt the same today. I did fine but was just not my normal self. I am hoping my melaese is just months of hard training combined with months of work related travel just catching up on me. I only have 3 weeks until we start backing off for nationals so I need to rest today/tomorrow and have a few additional weeks of good workouts.

Warm up
    3x300 on 5mins alternating 50 free, 50 kick

Main sets
    12x25 free on :40 done as open, close, easy, fast per 25
    16x100 on 2mins at 500 race pace

Warm down
    8x50 perfect easy free on 1min

I started out going :56 and then held :57s through number 12 when I slipped to a :58 and held this until the last one where I dropped to a :57. It was a little challenging today due to every clock at the pool being off for some reason. I was not upset with my times but I was really feeling it on the last 6 or so. My left shoulder still hurts; sort of a dull ache in my teres major area.

After the swim workout I did two yoga classes. The first was a base yoga class with a lot of stretching in the shoulder area which was great. The second class was a power yoga which I really struggled with today. I seem to do ok on the power related exercises but the balance and endurance are a struggle(the endurance surprises me). Keeping a leg elevated for 5 minutes or more is tough. The only saving grace was that others struggled today as well.

Roll on a nap and a day of rest tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 128 - Friday

by , March 13th, 2015 at 08:39 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a really good heavy night of sleep and woke up feeling good this morning. I felt ok in the pool today but I am definitely feeling months of hard work in my body. I am swimming just fine speed and endurance wise but I feel little aches and pains all the time. I am assuming it's months of training rather than just getting old

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    8x(4x25 afap on :40, 100 IM on 1:30, 100 kick on 1:40)

Warm down
    200 easy

The main set was really hard. I was holding 12/13s to my feet on the 25s and was very consistent on these. On the IMs I went 1:10,1:08,1:08,1:07,07,1:04. The last IM was the fastest I have been in this training cycle and felt strong throughout. The kick on 1:40 was a quick send off and I held 1:25s while using these as active recovery. This set felt really long but with a group of us swimming it together it went quite fast. One of my training partners who has been out for about a month with a bad shoulder swam today and he did great making all the send offs. However, he looked really tired at the end. Fingers crossed he will be back in the pool since he is great to train with.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 128 - Thursday

by , March 12th, 2015 at 08:39 AM (After a long rest)
    One of my meetings was cancelled yesterday afternoon which enabled me to catch an earlier flight home. I was the very last person on the standby list but somehow I got an emergency row seat. I guess status with American has some perks. As a result of the earlier flight I was back in Dallas at 7pm instead of 11pm and as such had a chance to sit down with my kids who are on spring break before bed which was fun. Unbeknowns to me, my daughter had arranged to swim with a friend this week despite her team not training. She said she wanted to keep the feel for the water ahead of her breakout long course season(her words). I sat there with a huge grin and a great deal of pride as she told me this. I hope for her sake she stays healthy and injury free. Thank goodness she recovered so fast from her elbow.

I ended ded up going to bed around 9pm(late by my standards) and slept deeply. I woke up about 15 minutes before my alarm was due to go off so got up a little early. I was the only one at the gym from my training group which made it hard to get motivated for some reason. A lot of people are traveling for spring break! Despite my challenge of getting going I lifted and swam and forced myself through the workout this morning.

10 minutes on vasa swim trainer done as, 1:30 on, :30 off x 5
    3 rounds of (leg press, leg extension, lunges, leg curls, lower back extension) with each round doing 10 reps, at 80%, max, fail effort.
    3x(flutter kick, crunches, leg lift, planks, flutter kicks) done as :45 on, :15 off with 1min between rounds.

Abs really hurt today!

400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    3x100 kick on 2mins
    200 easy

i am tired! Hopefully I will get home early tonight. This has been a long week.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 128 - Wednesday

by , March 11th, 2015 at 08:41 AM (After a long rest)
    I felt good this morning and had a decent night of sleep. One of my challenges when I travel is food. I like it and when I travel if I am not careful I will eat unhealthy and in large quantities. Last night I felt tired and hungry so decided to get a subway sandwich to go which was pretty healthy although I did eat a foot long and was still hungry when I was finished(probably could have eaten another 6inch sandwich for sure). I guess all the time I am working out its not the end of the world.

Warm up
    400 free

Main sets
    6x100 on 2mins swum as 25 kick,50 drill,25 swim
    10x50 kick on 1:10
    100 easy
    8x50 on 1min at 200 race pace
    200 easy
    8x50 on 1min swim as 2x(3 at 200 race pace, 1 easy)
    200 easy
    12x25 on :45 alternating free from block and back from push

Warm down
    100 easy

I found the water warm today and seemed more winded than usual on the warm up and transition sets. I still had a good main set and held 26.0-26.5 on the first set of 50s(faster than my goal time). The coach was reading out splits which was great. On the second set of 50s the coach told us to go faster than the first round and I went 25.0-25.3s on this set(most certainly faster than my 200 pace). The 25s from the blocks were fun and on the last two frees I let rip and went 10.3 and 10.2 which I was really happy with. Not 200 pace but good fast swimming. I have enjoyed swimming with Indy Masters and they are a fast fun group.

Sent from my iPhone
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 128 - Tuesday

by , March 10th, 2015 at 08:02 AM (After a long rest)
    Luckily I emailed the Indy coach last night and found out there is a meet at IUPUI so swam at the Northside High school pool with the Indy masters. The high school pool was a fantastic facility. Not the scale of Indy but a very impressive 50m pool setup as scy. The facility looked brand new and I would love to race there sometime. Today was then jest time in a long time I have had no discomfort in my shoulder which was terrific. I had uneventful travel getting to Indy which always helps and a good night of sleep at the Staybridge suites. I had not stayed in a stay ridge before and rooms are huge, the breakfast was good, and the price is cheap(even by Indy standards). The hotel is right next to the Lucas Oil Stadium where the colts play, which I did not realize was so huge. The staybridge is 8 floors and is dwarfed by the stadium.

Warmup
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    3x500 descend 1-3 starting at 7:30 and dropping 15 seconds per 500
    4x4x75 free starting at 1:10 and descending by 5 seconds per round down to :55
    100 easy
    3x100 broken 100s at 25,50,25 with 5 seconds at 25 and 10 after 50.

Warm down
    300 easy

I swam easy on the first 500 and was surprised to come in on 5:38. I picked up the second 500 and went 5:27 and then picked up the last and went 5:20. It was nice to swim these pain free. The water was a little warm but other than that I felt good. On the descending 75s I held 45s until the last round where I went 42s. Again I felt great. The 3x100s I was a little tired but did them, free, IM, back going 52, 59, 58 on add up times. I was really pleased with today's workout and fingers crossed can stay pain free for a while!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 128 - Monday

by , March 9th, 2015 at 08:42 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a nice relaxing weekend and had a good night of sleep last night. I got up early and headed to the pool at least 15 minutes early this morning. This was not intentional I just seemed to be ahead of schedule from the get go. When I got to the pool most of the lanes had no lane lines due to a water polo tournament on Saturday so I took the extra time and moved and pulled lane lines into place. I had the pool setup when everyone arrived.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    6x(200 free with snorkel on 2:20, 100 back on 1:30, 100 kick on 1:45)
    10x25 with fins underwater on :40

warm down
    10x50 free easy on 1min

the one thing I forgot to put back was the backstroke flags and by the time I got to the main set it would have taken too long so I swam the main set with no flags. It's amazing how consistent my stroke count is because after a couple I simply went off count with my back turns. On the 200s with snorkel I held 2:05-2:08s descending by round. On the back I was holding 1:08s and on the kick I was holding 1:25s. I did not exactly feel comfortable but it was a comfortably uncomfortable sort of day. I went pretty smooth today and tried to ease off my shoulder which despite some discomfort did not really hurt this morning.

I am off to Indy this afternoon for a couple days with work and hope to swim at IUPUI and the Indy Masters on Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 127 - Saturday

by , March 7th, 2015 at 03:22 PM (After a long rest)
    I iced my shoulder last night and took some anti inflamatories and this morning my shoulder felt a lot better. I was worried yesterday I would not be able to swim but instead I definitely have some muscular discomfort but I am able to swim. It hurts on the back of my left shoulder just above my arm pit. When I swim its a pinch sort of feel on free when I start my catch. I swam hard but controlled today and forced myself to ease off from my normal intensity today and instead tried keeping my stroke long.

Warm up
    6x200 free with a snorkel on 3mins

main sets
    8x50 back on 1min
    16x100 on 2mins at 500 race pace

warm down
    200 easy

On the back transition set I had next to no pain from my shoulder and was comfortable holding 32s. On the 16x100s I held 57/58s and held back a little but worked on DPS and stroke turns and streamlines.

After er my swim I went to Yoga and worked on stretching out. This seemed to help.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 127 - Friday

by , March 6th, 2015 at 06:00 PM (After a long rest)
    We had snow in Dallas yesterday and as such the pool was closed. My kids enjoyed there 24hrs of snow though so despite me not swimming at least the Carroll kids were happy.

I had a really good night of sleep last night and woke looking forward to swimming as I often do after a day out of the water. Tom is at TAGS with the kids this weekend so he send out workouts which I generally hate since I get to see the workout before I show up at the pool. Today was 25s at 100 race pace which I generally find hard to do.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x(2x50 kick on 1 min, 2x50 fast on :40)
    100 easy
    16x25 on :40 at 100 race pace to my feet
    100 easy
    3x400 descend 1-3 and build by 100 on 6mins

Warm down
    10x50 alternating back/free by 25 and free/back by 25 on 1min

I felt pretty good on the warm up and the first part of the main set, holding 39s on the 50s kick and 28s on 50s free. On the 16x25s I was going 12/13 to my feet and felt ok but right at the end I felt a pop in my left shoulder. I was sort of a grinding feeling and a little pop, so I swam an easy 100 and then went very easy on the 400s. It was a weird sharp sort of feeling and then it felt like it was normal again. I have a little swelling but luckily it does not really hurt out of the pool as I write this and I think I will be fine. It reminds me to listen to my body, but its hard when pushing myself continually is in my DNA.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast