View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 112 - Friday

by , November 21st, 2014 at 09:42 AM (After a long rest)
    Our coach is visiting family in Illinois this weekend so iwas sent today's and tomorrow's practice and was asked to answer any questions people may have. Today was pretty straight forward and overall uneventful.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 drill swim IM order on 1 min

main sets
    6x100 IM on 1:45
    16x25 free AFAP on :30
    3x200 perfect stroke with snorkel
    200 free AFAP on 5mins from a dive
    4x25 free AFAP on :40
    100 free AFAP from a dive

warm down
    200 easy

i felt a little less congested today after taking another Alka Seltzer last night. I always sleep well after taking the alka seltzer nighttime but have a residual achy feeling the following day. Despite this I felt pretty good in the water and this feeling held throughout practice today. I swam fast but smooth through the IMs holding 1:06-1:08s. The fast 25s to my feet I felt good until the last two when I had to dig deep to hold my :13s. On the AFAP 200 I was hoping to go 1:55-1:56 and surprised myself with a 1:53. I was hurting on the last 50 but my stroke did not fall apart and despite my legs really hurting I felt strong. The fast 25s I was again holding 13s but this time without a flip turn. The last fast 100 I had no expectation and again surprised myself going :51 high. I was really pleased with my AFAP efforts. As I write this I still feel pretty congested but if I swim like I did today everyday I dont care. Two more weeks to rest and get ready for SPMS. Speaking of which there are now over 350 entries which is awesome. I just hope they don't drop the 6th event which I put as my 200 back which in hindsight was a poor selection; I should have made the 50 back my 6th event but alas that decision can't be undone. We have our 500 race pace set tomorrow(fun fun fun) and then we are on the slide down to the meet as the taper really kicks in.

Updated November 21st, 2014 at 09:57 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 112 - Thursday

by , November 20th, 2014 at 09:48 PM (After a long rest)
    I felt very congested last night so took an alka seltzer nighttime before I went to bed. I slept awesome but woke with a sore throat and I have been feeling congested all day. This morning was a light taper dryland workout with an easy 2k swim.

10 minutes on vasa swim trainer, done as 2mins hard, 30 seconds easy
    5 minutes of abs done as flutter, planks, leg extension, crunches, flutter

Swim

4x100 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45
    4x100 kick on 1:45
    8x75 free on 1min
    300 easy

I plan on taking another Alka seltzer in a few minutes and fingers crossed I will feel better on the morning. Tom headed to Illinois today so I have tomorrow and Saturdays workouts. Tomorrows workout has a fair amount of fast swimming so I need to feel better.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 112 - Wednesday

by , November 19th, 2014 at 09:10 PM (After a long rest)
    I was a little sore and stiff when I woke last night and suspect I slept pretty heavy. i arrived at the pool a little earlier than usual and was able to get a little extra warmup in which actually helped with the stiffness. Today was an early taper workout but i would never describe it as such. It was tough!

warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    300 easy

main sets
    8x100 kick on 2mins best average
    100 easy
    3x200 IM on 3:30
    12x50 on 1:15 swum at 200 race pace(26/27)

warm down
    400 easy

i struggled a little on the 100s kick and with the exception being the first 100 where I went 1:18 I held 1:20s throughout. The 200 IMs we were told to keep our heart rate up and I went 2:27,2:25,2:22 by round. I was pretty beat after these and was not looking forward to the race pace set. Tom reduced the number of these we did(normally we do 16) and gave us more time(we usually go on :50). I held mainly 26s with 27s on the last 3. This workout felt a lot further than the yardage we swam.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 112 - Tuesday

by , November 18th, 2014 at 09:35 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep and felt good this morning.

Swim

400 free with snorkel
    5x100 kick on 1:45
    6x100 free on 1:30
    300 easy

I used this as an easy recovery swim and I felt good.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 112 - Monday

by , November 17th, 2014 at 06:44 PM (After a long rest)
    I spent most of this weekend at the pool watching my daughter swim. Like me she has been fighting a virus for a couple weeks but like me is on the mend, however this weekend she struggled. As the meet went in she got better but still only looked her normal self on a few events. So to my surprise she texted our coach this morning and asked if she could swim this morning with me. So this mor into my daughter joined us for masters practice; she did awesome.

Today was was our first day of taper for SPMS, and as is usual with first day of taper is hard to tell its anything to do with our taper.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catch up on :45
    12x50 kick on :50

main sets
    10x200 on 3 mins descend 1-4,5-8 to 500 race pace and 9 and 10 also at 500 race pace.
    12x50 drill swim back on 1min
    10x50 free on :35

warm down
    200 easy

i felt good on the warmup and felt really good on the 200s. On the descends I went 2:07,2:04,2:01,1:58 on round1 and then 2:05,2:03,2:00,1:57 on round 2 and then 1:57,1:57 on number 9 and 10. My daughter held about 2:40s which I was very proud of her(she is 11). On the back set of focused on my catch. The 10x50 set the guy next to me was flying holding 29-30s and me being me I tried hanging. On number 10 I realized he had fine on and I did not. I guess he had heard my daughters instructions vs our instructions. Oh well it meant I had a great set of 50s on a short interval.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 111 - Saturday

by , November 15th, 2014 at 02:26 PM (After a long rest)
    As I write this I am at my daughters swim meet and for some reason the Internet connection at the pool sucks today(probably all the people here). Anyhow this is the second time I have written this!

I had a very long week and by the time I got home last night with Indian take out I was wiped. My wife and I ate dinner and then I headed to bed around 7pm. I had a great night of sleep but woke with a strange feeling on my neck. As I soon realized we had an infestation of ants in our bedroom and sleeping on the side closest to the wall the ants had got into the bedroom, we're all over the carpet and had moved up the bed and onto my side. Luckily I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and the room was cold, because unlike prior infestations where we had sugar ants, these were fire ants and they were not happy when I started moving. After the drama of getting my shirt off, spraying them and clearing up I was wide awake and ready to head to the pool for less drama. I know what I will be doing when I get back to the house tonight after my daughters meet. I will be spraying around the house for bugs.

This is our last full week before we taper for the SPMS meet in December so this is our last shot at the 16x100 set swum at 500 race pace. It was very much my idea to include race pace into my workouts and this set has become the set I have nightmares about. Physically it totally sucks but I think mentally it's even harder, knowing that on Saturday it's our set. I think about this set all week. Despite this I know it's good for me and I have done well working it really hard. Today Tom decided that instead of doing it on 1:45 we were going to do it on 2mins which when he said it I thought whoopee, however this made a huge difference.

Warm up
    500 free with snorkel
    400 IM kick swim drill swim
    8x50 build on :50
    6x50 kick on 1min

Main Set
    16x100 at 500 race pace on 2mins

Warm down
    200 easy

I felt better in the warmup today compared to how I have felt for the past week and going into the 16x100s felt strong. The first 3x100 I felt smooth and focused on long strokes and quick tight turns, which for me is a real challenge(I am too darn tall). I then got into a groove and held 57s until the last 4, where I slipped to 58s which I then held til the end. Despite the last 6 hurting really bad it felt great finishing this set with no failures. Obviously it would have been better to do it on the time we have been doing for the past couple of months(1:45) but I will take it.

Due to the meet at the pool today some of the senior age groupers were working with there fitness coach and as such we were unable to use the weights(just too many kids already in the room, it was not practical), so I spoke with my coach and then headed to yoga. There is a USAS meet in our home pool the weekend after SPMS and Tom asked me if I felt like holding my taper and swimming 4 or 5 events at the meet. I said I would but need to look at the event lineup before locking it in. Despite me saying I would not swim the mile or the 1000 this SCM season I may do it at this meet since Tom thought it was the last event at the meet, so at that point there is no downside, other than the obvious pain associated with swimming this tapered.

Yoga was tougher than usual today. I think I have a weakness in the right upper leg strength, because I was like jello as we focused on legs today. I can honestly say I have never shaken so much doing leg exercises. I will pay attention to this and try to strengthen my right upper leg(RT band). From time to time I get a bad lower back and I often wondered if the issue was related to my legs.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 111 - Friday

by , November 14th, 2014 at 09:50 AM (After a long rest)
    I arrived home at around 10pm last night, ate a late(light) dinner and went to bed. I was tired when I woke up this morning and the cold weather did not make getting out of bed and out of the house any easier. It was cold 30F / -1C. It was in the 60s when I left Charlotte last night. Today's workout was a great mix of stuff and I really enjoyed practice today. It took me a while to warm up but luckily we did a longer than normal warmup which I think was what I needed.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x100 kick on 1:40
    12x50 drill build on 1min

main sets
    12x25 with blue parachute AFAP on :45
    200 IM with parachute from a dive
    100 free AFAP from a dive on 4mins
    2x50 free AFAP from a dive on 3mins
    2x25 #1 free #2 fly from a dive on 2mins

warm down
    200 easy

i felt heavy and sluggish on the first 400 during warmup but started toc,Olsen up. The kick set was faster than normal and helped to get my heart rate up. I was holding 1:25-1:27s. On the drill build 50s I felt good and was comfortably holding 30-31s. Everyone was initially given a yellow parachute except me and Jeremy Shephard who were the lucky recipients of a blue parachute. I was able to go 15-16s on the 25s and tried no breathing but towards the end I was unable to hold the breathing and was breathing once. The 200IM was really hard especially the turns where I missed the wall on back and free. This was still fun because some of the guys with the yellow parachutes were hauling so keeping up with them was a real challenge. On the fast stuff I had no expectations. Tom spread us all out and everyone swam the fast stuff together. I shocked myself going 50 from Toms start and Tom shouting out my time. I have not been that quick in quite a while. On the 50s I again shocked myself going very comfortable 23s. The 25s I went 10 on the free and 12 on the fly(I seem to have one speed on fly at the moment and it's not fast). It felt like I did about 3 strokes on the fly after I surfaced and those three felt very slow. Overall a good workout.

We we have the last set of 500 race pace 16x100s tomorrow before I start tapering for the SPMS meet. We are going to try a shorter taper for this meet and will try to hold the taper an extra week for a USAS kids meet in our home pool the second week of December. It will be good to swim fast and race again.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 111 - Thursday

by , November 13th, 2014 at 07:11 PM (After a long rest)
    Patrick had suggested I swim with swimMAC and in particular attend an Aquageek(Bill Davis) workout. Until late yesterday I was afraid my work schedule was going to conspire against me being able to swim this morning. A breakfast meeting got moved to an office meeting later this morning and as such I was able to make the 5:30-6:45 workout. I texted Bill last night and he was very amenable to me swimming with his group this morning. In some ways the pool reminded me of Nitros pool in Austin. swimMAC had a large group but they had all the 25yd lanes in a 50m pool available and as far as I could tell every lane was full with 2-3 masters swimmers. The faster lanes had less swimmers per lane and for some reason I had a lane to myself which I felt a little guilty about for a full 30 seconds. 😀. The workout was much different to the workouts I have been doing lately with more changes and stroke work. That said it was great fun.

Warm up(10 minute open warmup)
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    4x50 swim on 1min
    4x50 kick on 1min
    3x75 swim on 1:20
    3x75 kick on 1:20
    2x100 IM on 1:40
    1x100 free on 1:40

4x(
    4x25 IMO by round on :35
    3x50 free descend to fast on 1mi
    2x100 #1 IMO #2 free on 1:40
    1x200 odd rounds IM, even rounds free fast on 4mins)

Warm down
    200 easy

I finally started to feel decent this morning, although a little more tired than usual. I suspect the slower send off times contributed to me feeling decent and coming off illness this helped. The first group of swims in the main set were primarily swum as a transition set getting the heart rate up a little with the 4 round set being the main effort set. I felt pretty smooth on this main effort set this morning. I was able to swim a relatively fast smooth set of 25s per round. I was able to descend the 3x50s by round and went from 29,28,27 on round 1 to 27,26,25 on round 4. On the 100s IM order I went 1:03, 1:03, 1:16, 1min, and the 200 IMs I was 2:24 and 2:26. The 200s free I went 2mins on round 1 and 2:03 with my snorkel and cardio cap on round 4.

I had a great business trip this week and really enjoyed the opportunities to swim and meet new people. I would highly recommend the swimMAC masters program; they are a fast and friendly group(Thanks Bill).

Updated November 13th, 2014 at 07:16 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 111 - Wednesday

by , November 12th, 2014 at 09:18 PM (After a long rest)
    I am in North Carolina this week and had a 6am flight from Dallas to Charlotte yesterday morning. We hit the ground and had meetings all day and as a result was unable to swim. This morning I swam at UNC Raleigh Northwest campus rec center. I still feel pretty sick but it think my fever broke late yesterday and fingers crossed I am on the mend.

Warm up
    800 revers IM twitch

main sets
    3x200 on 3mins with snorkel working turns
    16x50 on :50 @200 race pace
    12x50 kick on 1min

warm down
    200 easy

i felt pretty hideous today and struggled holding 28s. I got into a rhythm but felt very weak. At least I was well enough to swim. I am in Charlotte tomorrow and will be swimming with SwimMAC. Fingers crossed I will be feeling better tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 111 - Monday

by , November 10th, 2014 at 07:03 PM (After a long rest)
    I think I am sick. On Saturday I slept all day after I got back from swimming. I just feel very achy and generally not myself. Despite feeling a little better yesterday I am not feeling my normal self and my joints just ache. Today I felt ok out of the pool but in the pool everything was hard work and my times were off significantly.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    6x100 on 1:20
    15x100 swum as 5,4,3,2,1 descending by round from 1:20 down to 1min
    100 easy
    12x50 kick on 1min

Warm down
    4x200 breathing every 5 on 3mins

I held 1:05 on the 6 transition 100s, and felt better than the warmup where I just hurt. On the 5,4,3,2,1 I felt hideous, holding 1:01-1:02s during the 5,4, and the first 2 of the 3 on 1:10, then felt violently sick and quickly exited the pool before throwing up in the mens locker room. I thought I was going to pass out, but after a few minutes this passed and I headed back to the pool, but totally backed off the rest of the workout. I am traveling to Charlotte this week with work and hopefully I start to feel better.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 110 - Saturday

by , November 8th, 2014 at 02:19 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good nights sleep last night but felt awful when I woke. I was incredibly hot and achy all over. I was in two minds not to swim but decided it would likely help me. Unfortunately today's workout was tough and I had my worst workout in a long time. As I writer his I am feeling sick and suspect I am running a fever.

Warm up
    100 free on 1:30
    6x200 on 3 mins alternating build and drill swim by 200.

Main sets
    10x50 on :40
    16x100 free on 1:45 at 500 race pace. If you miss one skip a 100. 3 failures ends the set

warm down
    300 easy

today I really struggled to get on pace. My first 100 was a 58(typically I have been starting on :56) but pushed and got on pace in #2 and held :57 through #8. I missed #9 so sat out #10 and then got back on for #11 missed #12 and then hit :57 on the last 4. I felt awful and this set took a lot out of me.

Due ue to feeling so bad I skipped weights but went to yoga to continue working on my stretching. We used a blanket today to do a lot of sliding. The challenge was pulling back to hold yourself in position without slipping. We also did a lot of core work. Yoga was really tough.

I plan on taking it very easy this weekend and seeing if I can get some sleep. Fingers crossed I will feel better on Monday. I am traveling to Charlotte with work Tuesday through Thursday so I need to find a training group this weekend. Ideas are appreciated. I will check out local places on this website but any recommendations would be great.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 110 - Thursday

by , November 7th, 2014 at 05:49 PM (After a long rest)
    I am in a ranch for a company offsite meeting between Athens and Palestine Texas; deep in the middle of east Texas. For those not from Texas, east Texas is wooded and hilly with a fair amount of lakes and streams. Not the tumble weed and Cowboys most people seem to think when they think of Texas. It truelly is beautiful. The challenge is swimming here.

I found a look at the Cain Center in Athens which is about a 45minute drive from where we are staying. Needless to say it was a very early start this morning and I was most definitely not feeling it today.

warm up
    8*100 free with 15 seconds rest

Main sets
    16*50 drill build on 1:00.
    16*25 on 40 hold 100 pace to feet.
    100 easy
    12*50 on 1:00 kick recovery.
    8*25 open close on :40

Warm down
    200 easy

I thought I was swimming incredibly slow but found out the poll is a 25m pool so my times were actually pretty good. I held 13-14s to my feet on the 16 race pace 25s. Back to the retreat I go.

After the day of meetings we had a little group physical activity. Two of our guys decided to challenge each other and later everyone else to a running race. Some of my team decided to accept the challenge and a group did a sprint while others decided to do a more mid distance run. Me being me I could not pass up the opportunity to race a group made up of 20 something's and entered the mid distance race. I knew I woukd most likely be the slowest from the start but the further race went the better my chance. As we were started my prediction came true and after about 100 yds I was at least 10 feet back. Over the next 100 yards I started closing and the last 100 yards started passing everyone. As the finish got closer I was closing on the lead rabble rouser and challenger and I ended up passing him with about 10 yards left. I did not brag instead leaving this to everyone else to rag on the 24year old. I got several pats on the back while Mario my challenger was asked all evening how it felt being beaten by a man 20 years his senior. Oh it felt good. The only problem with running is use muscles I am not used to using like my calves and my knees always swell a little. Oh well this one will last a long time in my company and the muscle aches and pains was worth it.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 110 - Wednesday

by , November 5th, 2014 at 08:13 PM (After a long rest)
    I again slept well last night and woke ahead of alarm this morning. Despite the good night of sleep I was very sore from weights.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    100 easy

main sets
    10x75 all swum as 25 kick, 50 free
    1x75 on 1:05
    2x75 on 1min
    3x75 on :55
    4x75 on :50
    100 easy
    16x50 on :50 swum at 200 race pace to your feet. Skip 1 if you miss your target time
    100 easy
    6x100 breastroke kick on 2mins
    3x200 free on 3mins perfect stroke working on under water off the wall for 4 black lines on bottom of the pool

warm down
    100 easy

i felt pretty awful on the transition set; just tired. On the race pace set I ended up failing on 13 which was one more than last week, but this was one tough day and I had to fight almost out of the gate to get on pace. This set was really tough. The rest of the workout was swum as active recovery. The under water work off the turns was good and I surprised myself with how far I went.

I am at a company offsite meeting the rest of the week so will be swimming in Athens, TX tomorrow. Athens is a very small town in east Texas.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 110 - Tuesday

by , November 4th, 2014 at 09:48 PM (After a long rest)
    I had another good night of sleep. Once again I worked the weights hard this morning followed by a 2100 yard loosen up swim.

3x(bench, leg extension, lunges, dips, bicep curls, pull ups) with 10,8,6 reps per round increasing weight by round starting at last weeks ending weight(this was incredibly hard today).

Swim

10x100 on 1:30 free with snorkel
    12x50 catchup on :45
    4x100 kick on 1:45
    100 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 110 - Monday

by , November 3rd, 2014 at 09:53 AM (After a long rest)
    I spent yesterday watching my daughters meet. She swam great again; 6 swims, 6 best times. The only downside to the Loos pool in Addison is the air temperature; it's always so hot. After the meet we ate southern fried chicken(a rare treat) at Bubbas on the SMU campus. We ate like royalty and ended up not eating dinner as a consequence. I also was pretty tired so went to bed really early. In fact it was so early I did not even make it to 7pm. To my surprise I slept all night and felt really good when I work up. Today was ,a now rare, aerobic day.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x100 alternating surf drill and free by 25 on 1:30

Main set
    5x3x200 free.
    Round 1 was at 500 pace on :3mins
    Round 2 was at 1000 pace on 2:50
    Round 3 was at 1650 pace at 2:40
    Round 4 was at 1000 pace on 2:50
    Round 5 was at 500 pace on 3mins
    8x50 kick on 1min

warm down
    100 easy

i did not feel bad in the warm up but my shoulders were still sore from Saturday. This feeling did not go around until the last couple of 200s. Despite trying to stick to the pace I was given I was holding right around 2:01-2:02 throughout the 15x200s. This workout was a lot longer than we have swum in a while and overall it felt pretty good. It was nice to finally loosen up.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 109 - Saturday

by , November 1st, 2014 at 04:22 PM (After a long rest)
    I was late home from work last night and ended up missing my kids leaving to go trick or treating and ended up staying in the house handing out candy. I turned the lights off around 8pm and headed to bed before my team returned. I woke this morning having not heard my kids or wife come home. I guess I had a solid night of sleep!

todays practice was race pace 100s at 500 pace.

Warm up
    3x(200 swim with snorkel on 3mins, 100 kick on 2mins)
    12x50 surf drill on 1min

main set
    16x100 on 1:45 swum at 500 race pace(57). At failure miss one and go again.
    100 easy

warm down
    6x50 on 1min drill swim

today I felt pretty tired and really had to mentally dig deep on the main set. I usually feel ok through 8 where as today I hurt from 5 on. I got to number 12 before failing, just like two weeks ago, however this set really hurt. Maybe the last one hurt just as bad but it's a distant memory at this point. I skipped one and finished out the set. I was holding 56s through number 4 and then 57s until number twelve where I went 59. I finished out the set on 57s. I was hurting so bad I had to roll out of the pool at the end and it took about 20minutes for the light headed was to go away.

After swimming i did did swim bench for 10minutes followed by Abs for 10 minutes.

After dryland and I headed to yoga which again was great to stretch out. When asked for suggestions I asked for stretching on lats, tris and pecks. I felt much better after yoga.

As I write I am at a meet with my daughter and she just got her first A time in the 11/12 age group on the 200 back. Fingers crossed she will get a couple more today and tomorrow. She only turned 11 in September so she is making great progress.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 109 - Friday

by , October 31st, 2014 at 02:56 PM (After a long rest)
    I had another good night of sleep, but woke tired but surprisingly not as sore as earlier this week.

Today we did another brutal workout.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on :45

Main set
    4x(2x50 back on 1min, 200 free on 2:05, 100 kick on 1min)
    200 easy
    20x25 no breathers with 10 push ups at one end and 10 dips at the other on 1min

Warm down
    8x50 drill swim on 1min

On the 50s back I was holding 33-35s, the 200s I went 2:00,2:200, 1:59, 1:58 by round. The kick 100s I was using as active recovery and was holding 1:40s. The 200s hurt. I worked on my second 100 and tried 6 beat kicking(as best as I could). This was not the hardest part of the workout. The 25s were horrible and after 110 push ups and 110 dips my shoulders were toast. Couple this with no breathers(which hurt more than they should) and I was beat. I made the comment that I thought I was in good shape, but after these 25s I realize I have a lot of room for improvement.

Updated October 31st, 2014 at 08:13 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 109 - Thursday

by , October 30th, 2014 at 07:33 PM (After a long rest)
    My son played in the school orchestra last night and we were late home. He is playing the trumpet this year and he is actually quite good.

I was tired when I woke up this morning and actually was woken by the alarm for the first time in a long time. Today was weights and a loosen up swim.

3x(bench, leg extension, lunges, dips, bicep curls, pull ups) with 10,10,10 reps per round increasing weight by round

Swim

400 free with snorkel
    6x100 kick with fins on 1:30
    12x50 free with snorkel easy on :45

I planned on going easier in the weight room today, but as usual I am my own worst enemy and I am hurting pretty bad. I lifted heavier today than Tuesday!!!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 109 - Wednesday

by , October 29th, 2014 at 12:33 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a great night of sleep but was sore when I woke up this morning; particularly my shoulders.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    5x100 IM on 1:40
    16x50 on :50 at 200 race pace(26/27), swum to failure at which point skip a 50 and get back on it. 3 failures ends the set.
    3x200 perfect stroke on 3mins
    8x100 kick on 2mins best average

Warm down
    8x50 drill swim on 1min

Today was our 200 race pace day and this is always tough, but it was especially tough today. I held 26 high/27 low through #12 and missed #13 going 28. I skipped 1 and then finished out the set going 27s. This really hurt and I am still struggling with looking at failure as a success. This is still not usrpt but getting very close. The send off is a Rushall prescribes but we stopped at 16 rather than continue until multiple failures. This is a very hard set.

When Tom told us we were doing a best average kick set my heart sank. This always always always hurts and again today was no exception. I started out holding 1:20s but in the middle slipped to 1:24s on two before getting back to a respectable 1:22 on the last two. Tom said my average was a 1:22.

At the end I was so exhausted and my legs hurt so badly that I struggled to get dressed and even to stand. Several hours later I am still in a world of hurt. I have 2 more weeks before I back off for the SPMS meet. Cant wait!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 109 - Tuesday

by , October 28th, 2014 at 09:33 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep and felt good this morning. This mornings workout was lifting followed by a 2000 yard loosen up swim.

3x(bench, leg extension, lunges, dips, bicep curls, pull ups) with 10,10,10 reps per round increasing weight by round

Swim

400 free with snorkel
    10x100 swim on 1:30
    6x50 easy

i worked the weights hard today and was able to do 10 reps at last weeks weights while doing 10,8,6. The swim felt hard and nothing was easy in the pool this morning. I did feel much better after the loosen up swim.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast