View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 195 - Friday

by , June 24th, 2016 at 05:46 PM (After a long rest)
    I did not get back from Minneapolis until late last night and by the time I turned work off it was gone midnight which left me with about 4 hrs. of sleep before my alarm went off for practice. To say I was dragging this morning was an understatement.

My son also came to the pool with me for the third day in a row.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50

Main Sets
    6x(100 kick on 1:45, 2x25 afap on :30)
    4x200 free with snorkel on 2:40 descend 1-4
    12x50 on the power tower with 50lbs on 1min

Warm down
    200 easy

I was very sluggish and achy on the first main set but finally got going on the 200s. On the 100s kick I was holding 1:25's and on the 25s I was going :12/:13s. On the 200s I started out at 2:04 and descended going 2:02, 2:01, 2:00. On the power tower I was coming in at 25 on :18/:19s.

Tomorrow is going to be a little crazy with practice from 7-8 followed by coaching my senior group from 8-10 and then swimming in a meet in Frisco which is about 40 miles from Rockwall which starts at 11am. I plan on getting to the meet as soon as possible and warming up in the shirt 25scy pool while the meet is going on. I am entered in both the 200 and the 50 free. Should be fun especially after a workout earlier in the morning.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 195 - Thursday

by , June 23rd, 2016 at 06:05 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a day trip to Minneapolis today and up until late last night thought I would be unable to workout. I realized my flight did not leave dfw until 8am and this afforded me time to lift, drive home and shower with enough time to get to the airport. To say this morning was a rush is an understatement but it worked. My son joined me at the gym and getting him motivated at 4:15 was part of the challenge. Still, I applaud him for going even if it was reluctantly.

15mins on stationary bike
    5x(5 X abs for :45 seconds, with :15 second transition) 1 minute between rounds. No power roller today.
    2x(3 X shoulder band exercises)

I felt pretty decent on the abs today. We also face timed one of our training group who was traveling which was geeky fun!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 195 - Wednesday

by , June 22nd, 2016 at 09:10 PM (After a long rest)
    My wife is painting my daughters bedroom this week and as a result her bed is in the hallway. The past couple of nights she has decided to start the night in her bed but to finish it in ours. This morning I woke up with my daughters head wedged squarely between my shoulder blades; I was sore as a result. I slept really solid which was good since I did not know she had come down but when I woke up I felt like she had been there a week.

Today the the pool was setup scy. I am sick of swimming scy already and hope we go back to lcm soon. The pool should be switched each night but the water polo team don't seem to be holdi up to the agreement in place with the aquatic Director.

I seem to to be the only one in training group who prefers real course to short course.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45

main sets
    8x100 build by 25 free with snorkel on 1:30 descend 1-4 and 5-8
    16x50 on :50 at 200 race pace
    200 easy
    12x75 kick on 1:15 descend 1-3,4-6,7-9,10-12

warm down
    200 easy

i was swimming great on the build and descending 100s set and descended from 1:04-1:00 and 1:04-:59. I then had a great set of 50s holding :26/:27s on the faster interval. The kick set I descended from 1:05 to 1min which was also a good set for me. My swimming was all good today but my elbow still hurts and is taking the shine off my outlook.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 195 - Tuesday

by , June 21st, 2016 at 09:38 PM (After a long rest)
    Work has been rough yesterday and today but I had a decent night of sleep. I woke up tired but got going pretty quick and was looking forward to my workout this morning.

5x(5 X abs for :45 seconds, with :15 second transition) 1 minute between rounds. No power roller.

Swimming scy
    400 free with snorkel
    20x50 with snorkel at 1000 race pace to my feet on :50
    300 easy

i had to cut my swim workout short today so the pool could be flipped. I was able to hold :29/:30s on the 50s and finished with a :27 to my hand.

I am swimming my first LCM meet on Saturday in frisco. I signed up for the 200 and 50 free. I would have liked to have swum more events but my daughter has a meet and I need to be back in rockwall to be dad.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 195 - Monday

by , June 21st, 2016 at 09:33 PM (After a long rest)
    My daughter swam at the Bill Nixon invite, a 4 day AA level meet in Mansfield which is about 50 miles from our house and about a 90 minute drive in traffic. We ended up staying in a hotel so that we did not have to go back and forth. I was on deck being dad and also coaching the seniors. Across the board we had an awesome meet with one of my swimmers get an Olympic Trials cut in the 4IM. I also had 4 kids get Junior Nationals times and another 10 or so Futures cuts. We had an awesome meet across the board. My daughter swam 7 events and did 7 best times including another 13 second drop in the 200 back(she is 12 and just missed the sectionals time). Air quality in the pool got bad as the meet went on and she had a tough finals session and final day at the meet but I think she could get the sectionals time this season.

As as a result of being on deck and away from rockwall I was unable to swim so had a few days off. Despite sleeping ok on Sunday night this morning came too early and I felt the time out of the pool. Luckily the pool was setup scy so I sort of got off easy.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    9x300 free on 3:30 descend 1-3,4-6,7-9
    6x125 kick on 2:15

Warm down
    200 easy

I took forever to get loose and despite the time off over the weekend my elbow hurt like heck until I got warm. On the 300s I descend from 3:15-3:05. By the end I felt pretty good. On the 125s I was coming in on 1:50s
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 194 - Thursday

by , June 21st, 2016 at 09:24 PM (After a long rest)
    This is a catchup blog entry from last week.

My Elbow was still hurting so I kept the swim portion short.

5x(5 X abs for :45 seconds, with :15 second transition) 1 minute between rounds. No power roller today.

Swimming scy
    400 free with snorkel
    5x200 easy free with :15 rest
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 194 - Wednesday

by , June 15th, 2016 at 09:20 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep but my elbow hurt this morning. I think I slept on it in a weird position because it ached in a slightly different place. I have a Dr appointment tonight and I hope I walk out like last time feeling much better.

The pool was setup scy.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    5x100 IM on 1:40
    16x50 free at 200 race pace on :55
    200 easy
    12x75 kick descend 1-3,4-6,7-9,10-12 on 1:15
    16x25 odds underwater, evens no breath free/fly on :40

warm down
    200 easy

We had a lot of our younger masters swimmers around me this morning and somehow I always swim well when they are racing me. I descended from 1:10 to 1:06 on the 100 IMs. i held :26s on the race pace 50s but felt flat and slow despite the good times. I have been quite consistent on this set for a while but have been all over the place from a feel perspective. I was holding 1:05-1min on the kick.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 194 - Tuesday

by , June 14th, 2016 at 09:36 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a great night of sleep and woke before my alarm went off this morning. Today was an early dryland and swim double. My son got up and joined me at the gym.

Swimming scy
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :55
    20x50 on :50 at 1000 pace to my feet
    300 easy

one of my training partners was traveling to Tulsa today and was staying in a small hotel. He really wanted to do today's workout so a group of face timed him as we did our core workout. It was kind of crazy but fun and we got a few looks from folks working out, outside our training group.

I felt surprisingly good in the pool today and even had some easy speed. I started out at :30 but dropped to :29s around #8 and then around #16 went :28s and finally finished with a :27.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 194 - Monday

by , June 13th, 2016 at 08:23 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a nice relaxing weekend with the family. We went to see "Now You See Me 2" yesterday afternoon and I really enjoyed the film. Late yesterday afternoon some really big storms came through Dallas and we got whalloped with a really big storm that caused flash flooding. Luckily we had no damage and we were home before the rain really hit hard. I ended up going to bed early and slept really well until about 1am. Unfortunately from 1am on I slept poorly. Despite being tired I got up and headed to the pool but this was not my best practice!

Pool was setup LCM

warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x 50 catchup on :55

main sets
    6x100 kick on 2mins descend 1-3,4-6
    10x300 with paddles on 3:45 descend 1-3,4-6,7-9 and hold #10 at same pace
    8x50 with snorkel as 25 streamline kick, 25 overkick free on 1:15

warm down
    200 easy

i descended from 1:45-1:40 on both descends. On the 300 I was tired and held mainly 3:35s but on the last few I had to work really hard to hold that interval. I have been wearing Kinesiology Tape for the past week and after about #5 the tape started to come loose and by #7 the tape was impeding my swimming. I finally managed to rip the tape off between 7 and 8.

After practice ice I iced and for the first time took some ibuprofen for my elbow. As I write this my elbow is feeling much better and I plan on taking some more ibuprofen and icing for longer tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 193 - Saturday

by , June 11th, 2016 at 01:46 PM (After a long rest)
    We had lots of masters swimmers out of town for various reasons. I was running late this morning but got to the pool about 5minutes early. My right elbow is still really hurting and despite not noticeably affecting me physically, mentally it's been a tough week and a particularly tough morning. I don't seem to be able to easily get the elbow loose and it hurts all the way through warmup. As such it's hard to get motivated to get in. I have another PT meeting on Monday afternoon. After my last visit it felt noticeably better so hopefully this one will have a similar affect.

I don't know if tom just took it easy on us this morning or read my body language but it was not our 16x100s.

Warm up
    4 x 200 free with snorkel on 3mins
    8x50 drill build on 1min

main sets
    4x100 free with snorkel at 400 race pace on 2mins
    8x50 fly on 1min
    4x100 on 2mins as 50 fast free, 50 high tempo back
    8x50 breast on 1:05
    4x100 free with snorkel at 400 race pace on 2mins

warm down
    200 easy

i really did not stop feeling pain in my elbow until midway though the first round of 4x100s. On the first 4x100s I was 1:06,1:06,1:05,1:05. On the free/back I was out in :32/:33 and ended up going 1:10-1:12s. On the fly and breast 50s I tried focusing on stroke. Long course I struggle with fly and to make matters worse my daughter was on deck and her and Tom gave me smack. . On the last round of 4x100s I started off where I left the last of the first round and continued to drop going 1:05,1:05,1:04,1:03. To say I was tired was another understatement today. Thank goodness I have no plans after I am done coaching this weekend. My wife and I talked about going to the cinema which I'll be terrific if it happens.

Updated June 11th, 2016 at 06:18 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 193 - Friday

by , June 10th, 2016 at 08:58 AM (After a long rest)
    I slept well last night and for the first time in a long time my elbow did not kill me when I woke up. There is still tenderness in the joint but unlike the past two weeks of mornings I did not have the stinging pain like a knitting needle was wedged in the joint.

Unlike yesterday where my son got up with out any effort, today was a tough morning. This was his third workout this week and he did not want to get up but with a little arm twisting he finally got up.

Today was a strange workout but it made a nice change.

Warm up
    400 fre with snorkel

Main sets
    6x100 kick best average on 2mins
    200 fly on 4mins
    2x200 back on 3mins
    12x50 drill/build on :50
    8x150 free on 1:50

warm down
    200 easy

i had a good kick set and held 1:19/1:20 on the best average kick set. Then Tom threw me a curve ball with his 200 fly. To say I was caught off guard was an understatement. Fly is not my best stroke and is possibly my worst stroke. I would be living if said I had happy thoughts; quite the opposite I had nasty thoughts and tried keeping them to myself. Tom saw right threw me and asked if I had a problem, to which I responded why. His comeback was funny, he said he thinks I should consider working on my fly for a season. He said we do a lot of free and wondered if this was part of the cause of my elbow issue. I don't believe fly will ever be my event but it was nice to hear that there was a reason behind his request. I made the 200 fly but oh it was pathetic and I had a few stops on the wall. On the 150s I was getting :10/:15 rest and felt good throughout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 193 - Thursday

by , June 10th, 2016 at 08:48 AM (After a long rest)
    I slept well but my elbow was sore when I woke this morning. I was pretty much on auto pilot until I realized my son was coming to the gym again so just before I headed out the door I turned around and headed back upstairs. Luckily Ben was already awake and got up and going with no problem. Today was early dry lands followed by a swim.

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 on :55 at 800 race pace(:34) to my feet
    400 easy
    8x50 on :55 at 800 race pace(:34) to my feet
    400 easy

despite discomfort in my elbow I was able to hold :34s and on the second round started to descend, ending up with a :31/:32.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 192 - Wednesday

by , June 8th, 2016 at 03:24 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a restless night of sleep last night and woke up before the alarm went off. My elbow felt good last night but was stiff and achy this morning. It finally loosened up during the main set but this injury is affecting my swimming and I don't like it!

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    12x75 free done as kick, drill, swim on 1:15
    16x50 free at 200 race pace on :55
    200 easy
    12x50 free on power tower on 1min

Warm down
    200 easy

I used the 12x75's as an extended warmup and was holding :55's, so had lots of rest. On the race pace 50's I held :26's all 50's. I hurt more than normal on the first few but finally stopped hurting and got into a rhythm after 4. The power tower was a really rough set. I used 75lbs on the tower which was more than I wanted to use, but Tom insisted and as it turned out it was the right weight. This set was really tough and after 6 Tom told me to hold my breath from the blue marker on the lane lines(5yds out).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 193 - Tuesday

by , June 7th, 2016 at 06:11 PM (After a long rest)
    My trip to Phoenix today got postponed and as a result I was able to practice and make an appointment to get my elbow checked out.

I had a good night of sleep and woke as the early alarm went off this morning. My son also joined me at the gym but skipped the swim part. My wife told my son he will be going to the pool with me 3 times a week and for every 10lbs he drops he can back off a workout(he is 15 years old, 6'3" tall, and weighs 220lbs. He is a very big boy). To my surprise he got up without any issues this morning and it was a lot of fun hanging out with him. He did his own workout and

Swimming scy
    400 free with snorkel
    Power Tower 3x2x50 with 50,80,100 lbs on 1min

The power tower made a nice change.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 193 - Monday

by , June 6th, 2016 at 09:05 AM (After a long rest)
    All that good sleep late last week went out the window last night and I had an absolutely terrible night of sleep and got up(since I really did not sleep) feeling really tired. Yesterday before the kids meet my daughter and I went and got massages. I have some serious knots in my back and each time the masseuse worked on the lump I would jump about a foot off the table. I drank lots of fluid to flush out the massage but apparently that translated into being up and down like a yo yo. My malaise did not translate into the pool and I actually felt like my free was long and easy on the warmup. I had a killer main set today but again did surprisingly well.

The he pool was setup LCM today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    9x300 pull with paddles on 3:45(1:15 base)
    300 easy
    10x50 with fins done as 25 underwater and 25 streamline back kick on 1min

Warm down
    8x50 long perfect stroke on 1min

i started out holding 3:30s and held this through 7 when I started to fall off but managed to hold 3:33,3:34,33 on 7,8,9. My elbow was really stiff when I was done and in hindsight probably should not have done this much pull. The underwaters with fins felt great today and I was making 25 very easily. This was one of my better aerobic workouts I have done in a while. Despite pulling, holding 1:10-1:11 base pace was very good and obviously my base is pretty good right now.

I signed up for my first LCM meet in frisco in a few weeks and will be doing the 200 free and the 50 free. I was going to do all the 50s but decided that based on the number of swimmers entered 2 swims was just fine.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 192 - Saturday

by , June 4th, 2016 at 11:49 AM (After a long rest)
    I had another good night of sleep and even woke up an hour before my alarm was due to go off feeling good and for a change not thinking work; thinking kids and wife is so much better!!!

tom had said he wanted to switch up today's workout and he said it with a wicked chuckle and grin. He likes to play mind games and I think I am generally the only one who never reacts. My old college coach would do this and I found that reacting made him happier so I stopped reacting which used to make him try even harder.

as it turned today's workout was tough. Like most of our race pace sets you can make them as hard or easy as you want but swimming them correctly they are brutal. Needless to say I tried my hardest and it was brutal.

Pool was setup LCM

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

main sets
    4x(200 at 400 pace on 4mins, 100 at 400 pace on 2mins, 50 at 400 pace on 1min, 2x25 afap on :30) :30 rest between rounds

warm down
    300 easy

I had to cut today short because my kids were on deck after the main set and I knew Neil would be running late this morning. I used paddles on the 200 but dropped them for everything else. Despite hurting really badly everyone of the 200s I descended going 2:16, 2:14, 2:12, 2:10. These were awesome but not sure I could hold the last 2 for a 400. The 100s I swam(no paddles) with a snorkel and was 1:04,1:04,1:05,1:05 which again I was really happy with. The guy in the next lane to me went for the 100s on this set and it helped a lot. On the 50s I was :32s and the 25s I was :15/16s. The 25s were mid pool 25s so they were tough to get going on. I was bright red when I got out so I guess it was easy to see how much effort I put in. I was really pleased with today's workout but it was the most difficult workout I have done in a long long time. Tom had my daughters group do this and they found it easier than the 16x100s so it's either the way I swam this set or an age related thing.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 192 - Friday

by , June 3rd, 2016 at 08:39 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a much better nights sleep last night and despite waking up tired I felt much better than earlier this week.

This spring, our masters team has been swimming at the same time as my daughters group, Jr. Racers(11-12). This morning was the last of these workouts because the kids switch to summer schedule next week . Today we also had the fastest 13-14 year old boy plus about 5 of the college kids who used to swim at Race. Needless to say there was plenty of motivation to swim fast today

warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    6x50 kick build on 1min
    12x100 free on 1:10 holding constant pace throughout.
    100 easy
    12x25 free no breathers fast on :40
    8x50 IMO on 1 min as 25 drill/25 build to max speed
    10x50 streamline kick on 1min trying to hold :35 or faster

warm down
    200 easy

my elbow still hurt today but finally started to loosen up mid way through the 12x100 set. On the 6x50s I was holding :40s. On the 12x100s I was out in 1:01 and then held 1:02s until the last one where I was 1:00. Despite tom asking us to hold a consistent pace I was faster on the first and last. I felt tired but was pleased with this set. I think I could have been more consistent if the guy in my lane and I circle swum instead of swimming sides(his idea). I kept coming off turn 2 and clipping the lane line. I need to work on my foot position off the walls because I turn crooked. I made the 12x25 no breathers while holding :13/:14s. The guy in the lane with me was about half a body length ahead of me and I felt like a surfer riding the wave(cowabonga!!!!); it was awesome. On the IMO 50s I tried building as instructed but my breast is just so off recently. I think my timing on my pull and kick is off high causes me to have big pauses in my stroke. I should work on this but it's so hard when IM is not my chosen thing. In many ways I would just sooner avoid it. On the last set despite Bing told to go under :35s I went :35 on the first and then held :37s. This was still a great kick set for me. Using my snorkel on the kick helped with my body position a lot.

Updated June 3rd, 2016 at 08:46 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 192 - Thursday

by , June 2nd, 2016 at 09:50 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a very long stressful day at work yesterday. I fell asleep really quickly but at around 1am I was wide awake thinking work. I lay in bed tossing and turning until it was time to head to the gym.

4x(5 X abs for :45 seconds, with :15 second transition) 1 minute between rounds. Due to my elbow I backed off and did not do the power roller or the m divine ball today.

Pool was setup LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    25 drill fly, 50 kick back, 75 swim breast on 3mins
    25 drill breast, 50 fly kick, 75 swim back
    on 3mins
    25 drill back, 50 breast kick, 75 swim fly
    on 3mins
    50 drill back, 75 breast kick, 25 swim fly
    on 3mins
    50 drill fly, 75 back kick, 25 swim breast
    on 3mins
    50 drill breast, 75 fly kick, 25 swim back
    on 3mins
    75 drill breast, 25 kick fly, 50 swim back
    on 3mins
    75 drill back, 25 breast kick, 50 swim fly
    on 3mins
    75 drill fly, 25 back kick, 50 swim breast
    on 3mins
    200 easy

Despite swimming lcm I decided to do part of the workout I sent to one of my swimmers who could not make today's seniors workout. The workout was actually pretty good and made a nic change from my free based workouts.

My right elbow is still extremely painful and I have been unable to go and see anyone about it yet.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 192 - Wednesday

by , June 1st, 2016 at 08:51 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep. I woke up with my right elbow very sore and stiff. I am planning on going to see someone about my elbow this week.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup with snorkel on :50

main sets
    12x50 drill, build on :50
    3x4x25 free done as open,close,easy,fast on :35
    16x50 on :55 at 200 race pace
    100 easy
    4x(2x50 choice drill on 1min, 2x50 done as 25 underwater, 25 streamline dolphin kick on 1min)

warm down
    200 easy

On the 16x50s i was out in :25 and then held :26/:27s throughout. The times were fine but oh did I hurt. Despite my times being quite consistent over the last few attempts at this set I have been all over the place feel wise. Today I was whooped.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 192 - Tuesday

by , June 1st, 2016 at 08:45 AM (After a long rest)
    Despite it raining nearly all weekend I had a terrific weekend of coaching and hanging out with my family. I even managed to finish my fence project out back on Saturday.

This is morning I did some dryland and then did an aerobic swim.

4x(5 X abs for :45 seconds, with :15 second transition) 1 minute between rounds. Due to my elbow I backed off and did not do the power roller or the m divine ball today.

Pool was setup LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min
    10x200 pull with paddles and bouy on 3mins holding 800 pace
    300 easy

i held 2:19s on the 200s. I was amazed at how consist not I was today. I felt pretty good.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast