View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Week 127 - Tuesday

by , March 3rd, 2015 at 09:32 PM (After a long rest)
    I am still not feeling back to normal after last Thursday night Friday morning flight delay. Despite being tired I had a rough night last night waking up several times. Today was a weight workout with an easy swim and after getting warmed up I felt ok.

Weights

10 mins on vasa swim bench, done as 90 seconds on 30 seconds off.
    3x(5mins of abs - flutter kick, oblique crunches, leg extension, one arm one leg planks, flutter kick with 45 seconds of exercise and 15 second transition) with 1 min between rounds
    3x(leg press, leg extension, lunges, leg curls, lower back extension) with 10 reps per round at 80%, max, fail, level of effort

swimming
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45
    6x100 free on 1:30
    4x100 kick on 1:45
    300 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 127 - Monday

by , March 2nd, 2015 at 09:36 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a fun weekend watching my daughter swim at her meet. Unfortunately as an 11 year old she is still some way off her 11/12 TAGS. Times but had a great season despite all her challenges and get 4 more best times this weekend. I even managed to get a nap yesterday afternoon.

This morning was a longer distance aerobic workout and it was tough. I did not have my mojo today and everything took more effort than normal. I suspect the last week of strange schedules and weather related delays played into how I felt today. Fingers crossed this week will be more normal.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    100 easy

Main sets
    10x300 pull with paddles on 3:30
    12x75 back kick with fins on 1:05
    10x50 two turn 50s focusing on tight turns on 1min

Warm down
    100 easy

I started out at 3:10 on the 300s and descended to 3:06 by the last round but this felt quite tough today as opposed to hitting a rhythm and feeling good throughout as I have done before. I worked the kick set pretty hard and was coming in on :43s. The two turn 50s I was pleased with my turns and actually felt good going over tight.

7 weeks til Nationals! Hard to believe it's March already.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 126 - Saturday

by , February 28th, 2015 at 07:40 PM (After a long rest)
    The DAM Sring Meet was cancelled yesterday due to snowy weather in the Dallas metroplex, so alas I did not get to swim the 400,200 and 100 IMs I had entered. I am not sure if the meet will be rescheduled or it's just cancelled for this spring. I suspect the later.

instead I got to workout in Rockwall and watch my daughters swim meet. She swam 3 out of 4 best times and this is the second meet where she seems back to her normally happy self.

Todays workout out was pretty all attended but not many of the guys and girls I train with were there for a variety of reasons. We did our normal race pace set but instead of dropping the send off Tom had everyone go on 2mins which was fine by me today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    10x50 kick on 1min

Main set
    16x100 on 2mins at 500 race pace

Warm down
    10x50 free perfect stroke
    200 easy

I felt ok on the 16x100s holding 56/57s the whole way but felt pretty tired on the last 5. Last week although done on a faster send off for sure felt better.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 126 - Friday

by , February 27th, 2015 at 08:14 PM (After a long rest)
    Yesterday was a blur. I had a one day up and back trip to Denver leaving Dallas at 7am and coming back at 7pm. The weather has been pretty wintery and I always have fears about delays. As it turned out getting out of Dallas was no problem and I made my meeting in Denver with no issues. Coming home was a different story with a 3 hour delay which meant we landed at DFW around 2am and it was almost 3am when I got home. Despite the travel difficulties I made it home safe and the trip was worth it from a business perspective.

Today I slept till about 9am and had a leisurely morning catching up on emails. I emailed a few people last night and cancelled my morning meetings because I knew I would be tired, which I was. I emailed one of my training partners and agreed to workout at lunch.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on :45

Main sets
    6x100 kick on 2mins
    6x(2x50 kick on 1min, 2x75 build by 25 with last 25 all out. on 1:10)
    12x50 drill swim by 25 on 1min

Warm down
    200 easy

Nothing to write home about today. I felt like I had been backed over by a truck but put this down to the late night and all things considered it was not bad. It felt good to swim!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 126 - Wednesday

by , February 25th, 2015 at 09:45 AM (After a long rest)
    I was pretty tired this morning after yesterday's swim with the seniors but luckily we had no snow as was predicted overnight. Despite being tired I had a good practice and after loosening up felt pretty decent in the water. We had a very small crowd this morning which I found a little surprising after the pool being closed for a couple of days. I guess not everyone is obsessed as me.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    12x25 under waters with fins on :35

Main sets
    5x(4x50 free on :35, 100 back on 1:20, 100 kick on 2mins)
    100 easy
    16x50 on :50 swum at 200 race pace

Warm down
    200 easy

The first main set was rough but after round 1 i loosened up and it got better. The intent was to swim the whole set strong and was holding :30s on the 50s, 1:08s on the 100s back and 1:25s on the kick. I was very consistent today despite getting pretty tired towards the end. The 16x50s were really tough and I almost quit at 4 but stuck with it and held 27s throughout.

Now off to fight Dallas traffic.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 126 - Tuesday

by , February 24th, 2015 at 09:34 PM (After a long rest)
    I feel guilty complaining about the weather when I look at the media reports on cities like Boston and New York, however we had an ice storm that came through late Sunday and has pretty much shutdown Dallas the past few days. It's wild to see clear roads turn to inch thick sheets of ice in less than an hour. Dallas only has like one grit truck so once or twice a year the freezing rain brings the city to a standstill.

As a result of the ice, most school districts shut down Monday, today and likely tomorrow; the national weather center is predicting 1-3 inches of snow tonight. Since our facility is owned and run by the Rockwall ISD the pool is closed when the schools are closed. Yesterday I was bouncing off the walls with no swimming so did Yoga at the house with my daughter following along to a dvd my wife had. It was pretty lame and I hardly broke a sweat. This morning I got up normal time and did 45 minutes of ab focused Pilates I found on YouTube and it was great. 45 minutes of non stop abs which I have felt all day.

I had a busy day today starting with my annual review with my boss and so I had to get to the office with all the other crazies who seem to come out in the roads when it's icy. I saw one guy accelerate before a bridge and then do a 180 on the bridge. What a moron! Anyhow I made it safe and unscathed into the office and my review went well. At around 1:30pm I got an email from the age group coaches saying that the pool was open for afternoon practice. I had a busy day but somehow was able to bring my last meeting forward a couple of hours which meant I got home with enough time to head to the pool and swim with the senior racer group. These are the fast 17-18 year olds at our club and are coached by Neil walker. I love swimming with them but get to do it so rarely. It's always a fun workout and today was no exception.

Warm up
    100 free
    300 free with snorkel
    200 kick

Main sets
    3x(450 done as 25 kick, 25 free, 25 pull, 25 free, 50 kick, 50 free, 50 pull, 50 free, 75 kick, 75 pull
    3x20 vertical kick
    250 done as 125 free drill, 125 back
    3x20 vertical kick) no rest between swims

2x(400 free on 4:40
    4x100 on 1:25 swum as 50 kick, 50 swim IM order by round
    :40 seconds rest and transition to equipment
    300 pull with paddles on 3:20
    4x75 on 1:10 swum as 25 scull, 50 pull
    200 kick with snorkel, fly, flutter, fly, flutter on 3:30
    4x50 kick on :55 descend 1-3 with number 4 all out
    100 free DPS on 1:20
    4x25 on :40 AFAP)

3x with fins(100 AFAP on 1:20 swum as 50 kick, 50 free,
    50 AFAP on :40 swum as 25 kick, 25 free
    100 easy on 2mins)

Warm down
    200 easy

I felt like I was bouncing off the walls this week without swimming. This one was a lot of yardage(7450 by my counting) but exactly what I needed. I am pooped but with some uncertainty about pool availability the rest of the week I feel good about this one. It was good hanging with the fast kids and the coach gets a big kick out of telling the swimmers to not let old Father Time beat them . It just motivates us all. The 400s in particular were brutal with a few of the guys negative splitting and going 4:00s with me coming in about 5 back. I was in the gutter lane which has steps at one end which make it almost impossible to tumble and push off without getting your feet all caught up in the recessed steps in the wall. I was still happy with the entire set and most definitely held my own.

Fingers crossed I can get to the pool tomorrow and we will be doing our 200 race pace set. I have to travel to Denver on Thursday for a meeting. Luckily the trip is just a day trip but I am very unlikely to swim and due to a really early flight I am unlikely to lift.

What a strange week!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 125 - Saturday

by , February 21st, 2015 at 06:22 PM (After a long rest)
    Yesterday after breakfast Tom asked me if I would be ok with him entering my daughter in the Champs meet this weekend. She fractured her elbow and has only been back in the water two weeks and the original plan was for her to train through the rest of scy season and focus on LCM in the spring. Tom said she seemed to be having fun again and had been swimming great. I was hesitant but said I would talk to my wife. Long story short she is swimming this weekend. If I had a little more heads up I would have swum also but it probably will do her good to swim without Dad.

Now to yesterday's drama. My son was pushed over playing soccer at school and got knocked out when he fell, hitting his head on the ground. He had a pretty bad concussion and had to go to the doctor. This coupled with my daughter swimming the meet made last night a mess. I was late home from work and then had to handle my wife freaking out about our son and packing and prepping for this morning. My wife slept up stairs to check on my son and my daughter slept downstairs with me so she could get up and come to the pool when I left this morning. Logistically it was a challenge making everything work but somehow we made it work.

My practice was hard but somehow fun with my daughter calling out my times on the main set. She was cute and made me smile despite being in pain.

Warm up
    500 free with snorkel
    400 free with snorkel
    300 free with snorkel
    200 IM
    100 back
    50 free

Main sets
    16x100 on 1:50 at 500 race pace

Warm down
    400 easy

I deliberately went a little easier than usual on the first 100 going 57 high and initially felt pretty crappy holding 57s. After number 4 I hit my groove and felt pretty smooth holding 56s. I held these until the last 100 where I went a 55. Two of my training partners had put fins on tried beating me on the last one, which I was not going to let happen(not that I am competitive or anything). This is the first time I have made all 16 at my race pace or quicker at 1:50. The next time I do this in two weeks we will be down to 1:45s. Next week I am swimming at the DAM spring masters meet and doing the 4IM, 2IM, and 1IM. Obviously this is not my normal event lineup but something I think that will be fun.

Updated February 21st, 2015 at 09:46 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 125 - Friday

by , February 20th, 2015 at 08:41 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a great night of sleep but was still tired when I woke this morning. I sort of expected to be tired after the week I had. I felt pretty decent in the water today but towards the end in the faster set was pretty tired and felt like I did not recover between fast swims like normal. My times were still pretty good.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    8x100 kick best average on 2mins
    12x50 on 1min done as fast under and out of the flags with tight turns.
    3x(100 free fast on 2mins, 50 fast on 1min, 100 easy on 3mins)
    3x200 just paddles on 2:40 descend 1-3 and swum as R1 breath every 3, R2 breath every 5, R3 descend

warm down
    200 back
    100 easy

On the best average kick I held 1:21 average. This is slower than I had hoped but was me consistent on this set. On the 50s strong inside the flags I felt ok and was holding 29s. The fast set of 100s and 50s I felt crappy on round one but got going and overall had a good set. R1 :54, :26 R2 :53, :25 R3 :53, :25. On the last set of 200s I felt good and pretty comfortably descended and had good times going 2:05, 2:03, 2:01(1:02, :59).

After swimming about 6 of us went to breakfast. This is becoming a routine and it's really good fun. Today's discussion included discussion on nationals and our relays so next week Tom is going to work on the relay teams. It's looking like we will have a lot of relays which will be awesome.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 125 - Thursday

by , February 19th, 2015 at 10:12 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a great trip to Sacramento on Tuesday and Wednesday. I got back to DFW from California at 10:50pm last night but as is usual with DFW I left from terminal E and arrived back in terminal A meaning I had a 25 minute delay in getting to my car. Then as I drove out of the terminal construction caused another 15 minute traffic jam(at 11:15pm at night). DFW is about a 45 minute drive from my house so I finally got to bed around 12:30am. I had committed to one of my training partners that I would be at the gym this morning so my 4:45 alarm came way too quickly.

This is morning I did a simpler and shortened workout than normal.

15minutes on vasa trainer done as 1:30 mins on and :30 off
    15minutes of abs done as 3x(flutter kick, oblique crunches, leg lift, planks, flutter kick) with :45 on and :15 off with 1min between rounds.
    10minutes of stretching

15 minutes of easy swimming

i just registered for Spring Nationals. 100,200,500 free and 50,100,200 back.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 125 - Wednesday

by , February 18th, 2015 at 07:03 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a long day yesterday with 5 meetings in Sacramento and a dinner with a customer. When I hit the pillow last night I was out. I slept really well and woke up just before my alarm was due to go off at 5am. I swam with Davis Aquatic Masters this morning and had a good workout.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50
    300 alternating free,back,free, breast by 25

Main sets
    4x(100 kick Rest 10, 3x50 Rest 10) with fins
    4x(4x150 on 1:45) round1 pull, round 2 just paddles, round 3 bouy and paddles

Warm down
    200 easy

I felt tired this morning but swam ok. I started out with 5 people in my lane but after the warmup I was moved into a lane on my own while everyone else swam with 5-7 people per lane. Talk about feeling guilty. The visitor and I drive people out of my lane. I felt that way for a couple of minutes until I started cranking and then I forgot about it and just swam. The coach was very friendly and asked me about my stroke and commented on how my fundamentals were very solid. My swim coach from my childhood would be proud.

I was getting about 10 seconds rest per 150 on the main pull set.

I am really looking forward to getting home tonight but since I am not back until midnight central I am sure I will be tired in the morning. Tomorrow and Friday are very busy days too. Oh well at least I will be home.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 125 - Tuesday

by , February 17th, 2015 at 10:37 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a very early start this morning and 2:45 came too early. I got up quickly so I did not give myself a chance to second guess my decision to lift.

10 minutes on vasa trainer done as 5x(1:30 on :30 off)
    2x(leg press, leg extension, rear leg curl, lunges) 10 reps per round
    15mins of abs done as 3x(flutter kick, oblique crunches, leg lift, planks, flutter kick) with :45 on and :15 off

I felt good this morning and I am glad I worked out. Now off to the airport and my day in Sacramento.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 125 - Monday

by , February 16th, 2015 at 09:43 PM (After a long rest)
    Despite feeling much better than I have the last few days I was physically tired this morning and did not have a great night of sleep. My muscles from lifting on Thursday finally started to loosen up yesterday and this morning other than along my sternum felt pretty much back to normal. We had a cold front come through last night so unlike the past week where it's been spring like, we were back to just above freezing. I spoke to a customer in Minneapolis this morning and he said they had over night temps of -5F so I have nothing to complain about at 38F this morning on the grand scheme of things. It was cold this morning though!

I found today's workout challenging but also quite rewarding at the same time. We did some 500s at a pretty high tempo and despite pain I held a great pace and I am excited with where I am right now.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    8x100 free on 1:20 with snorkel descend 1-4,5-8
    12x50 kick on :50
    4x500 pull on 5:50
    8x50 drill swim IM order on 1 min

Warm down
    200 easy

On the descending 100s I went from 1:06 to 1:02. On the kick I held 40/41s. On the 500s I felt pretty strong but my triceps hurt pretty bad right away which made the whole set pretty miserable but still my best set of 500s in a very long time going 5:13, 5:15, 5:15, 5:14. I was very happy with these. I worked on DPS on the drills.

I am heading to the gym at 3am tomorrow morning so I can lift before a 6am flight to Sacramento. Tomorrow will be a packed and long day. I know I am crazy getting up that early but know I will feel better tomorrow as a result of getting some exercise. I am hopefully going to swim with Davis masters on Wednesday morning before heading home late on Wednesday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 124 - Saturday

by , February 14th, 2015 at 02:04 PM (After a long rest)
    Last night I once again took Advil and I had a good night of sleep. I woke sore no where near as sore as yesterday. I usually find the second day after heavy weights is the worst so I was dreading today. Due to a college meet the masters swam with junior racers group(my daughters group) which was fun.

Warm up
    16x50 on :50 odds free, evens kick
    100 easy
    4x200s odds free, even IM on 3mins

Main sets
    2x100 fly on 2:30 fast
    2x100 back on 2:30 fast
    2x100 breast on 2:30 fast
    2x100 free on 2:30 fast
    2mins rest
    4x100 free with fins on 2mins fast
    2mins fast
    2x100 free on 2:30 fast
    2x100 fly on 2:30 fast
    400 easy
    10x50 on 1min odds free drill, evens back drill
    4x200 kick on 3:30

Warm down
    200 easy

On the transition set of 200s I went 2:03,2:29,2:01,2:25. On the 16x100s I went 1:05s on the fly, 1:02,1:00 on the back, 1:16, 1:14 on the breast, :56,:56 on the free, on 4x100 with fins I went :51,:51,:50,:49. On the free I went :56,:57 and the fly I went 1:09,1:06.

I was tired for sure today but because the soreness had dissipated this was not as rough as it could have been and no where near as painful as yesterday.

After swimming I did an hour of yoga where we worked on stretching the chest and worked on some core strength exercises. Good stuff!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 124 - Friday

by , February 13th, 2015 at 12:33 PM (After a long rest)
    What can I say other than today was totally miserable. I went to bed last night having taken advil and was so sore I could not lift my arms. When I woke I was even worse than when I went to bed. Diving into the pool to do the warmup was almost comical. My chest is so sore it hurts to breath. I did not loosen up until the main set and despite swimming fast today I hurt so much it was not even fun!

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on :40
    10x50 with snorkel on :40

Main sets
    3x(200 free on 2:30 fast, 2x50 back on :50, 4x25 on :30 open, close, easy, fast)
    500 breathing 3,5 by 25
    200 free from the block AFAP
    100 easy
    100 free from the block AFAP
    100 easy
    100 free from the block AFAP
    100 easy
    50 free from the block AFAP

Warm down
    200 easy

I managed to loosen up enough after the transition set that I could swim without tears in my eyes, but the whole thing hurt today. On the transition 50s I was holding 31s. On the first main set I went 2:00, 1:59, 1:58 on the frees, :33/:34s on the back 50s, and 12/13 on the fast 25s. The 500 was easy loose swimming. The 200 from the block I went 1:54, the 100s fast I went :53,:51, and the fast 50 I went 23.1(Tom called out my split). Fast swimming but no fun today. I am grumpy sore and generally feeling pretty miserable!

We went to breakfast after practice and the guys cheered me up but I am so so so sore. What was I thinking yesterday?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 124 - Thursday

by , February 12th, 2015 at 06:18 PM (After a long rest)
    I thought I was in pretty good shape but this morning killed me and suspect I will be unable to lift my arms for a few days. We did 3 "Super sets". Each set lasts about 15 minutes and it's done non stop. The easiest way to explain the "Super set" is to explain what I did for chest. We did chest, back and shoulders with abs in between.

Start with your max bench press for 8-10 reps. So in my case that's 60lb on each side. I placed the weights as follows 25,10,10,5.

The first four rounds we took a plate from each side off per round. Then I did an assisted bench press where my spotter pushed down on the bar. Then I just lifted the bar followed by 10 push-ups. Then I did the same thing with incline bench. It's non stop and by the end I face planted on the last round of push ups and had to put knees on the floor to finish.

Brutal but in a sick way it was awesome. When I swam I dived in and did not think I was coming up my arms, shoulders and back hurt so bad.

After 45 minutes of super sets plus 15 minutes of abs I went for a swim.

On the dive into the pool I went deep and did not think I was coming up. My arms in particular were like jello and I had to scramble to come up in air.

Swim
    400 free with snorkel
    4x100 kick on 1:50
    200 free easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 124 - Wednesday

by , February 11th, 2015 at 05:54 PM (After a long rest)
    My daughter had a math project that was due today and had three classmates over to work on the project. After about 30 minutes the math project was forgotten and it became a play date with three friends. I was the party pooper and went to bed(my wife said I was grumpy and I needed to go to bed). I slept like a baby and my alarm woke me up. Today was a funny kind of workout. I got in early and out late but did not do a lot of yardage and also did not really feel like I spent a lot of time between sets. Tom switched up our 16x50s which made today hurt even more.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    12x75 kick on 1:20
    4x50 on 1min at 100 race pace(24/25)
    100 easy
    4x50 on 1min at 100 race pace(24/25)
    100 easy
    8x50 on 1min at 200 race pace(26/27)
    200 easy
    10x50 on 1min swum as 25 doggy paddle working on free catch, 25 free distance per stroke

Warm down
    200 easy

The 2 rounds of 100 race pace hurt really really bad. I started out holding 25s for the first 2x50s and then hit a groove and held 24 highs for the rest of the 100 race pace sets. On the 200 race pace I held 26s which again is really good for me. Overall a really good set and quite encouraging but I hurt so bad. In particular my lats and tris are screaming at me right now and my chest feels like my ribs are preventing my lungs from getting a full breath. Boy I hurt!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 124 - Tuesday

by , February 10th, 2015 at 10:47 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a massage last night or at least the start of one. My masseuse injured her tricep after about 30 seconds and we had to reschedule my appointment. She all of a sudden stopped talking mid sentence and when I looked up she was in tears holding her arm. It sucks on lots of fronts for her, the worst being she is an hourly employee and this directly affects her income. I felt bad and in a strange way guilty. As a result of the extra 90 minutes I went to bed early and again had a great night of sleep. Today I woke early and was lifting at 4:45am.

Weights
    10 mins on the vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on :30 off
    3x(bench, inclined bench, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull downs hands inside, lat pull downs hands outside, lower back extensions) done as 80%, max, fail and 10,10,10 reps by round
    15 mins of abs done as 3x(flutter, oblique crunches, leg lift, one hand one leg planks, flutter kick) with :45 on, :15 off. This was especially tough today for some reason.

Swim
    15x100 with snorkel on 1:30

This was not very adventurous but I hurt really bad from lifting and my arms were beat and the first 5 felt good so just kept going. Today's weights took longer despite arriving earlier than normal and I ran out of time in the swim. I wanted to do a little bit more because I finally started to loosen up towards the end.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 124 - Monday

by , February 9th, 2015 at 09:32 AM (After a long rest)
    I had an awesome nights sleep last night. I went to bed early and slept through the night. Today's workout was much different to our normal money workouts with more intensity and more rest.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    6x(200 with fins on 3mins fast, 100 back with fins on 1:40 with no less than half way under water each length)
    200 easy
    6x100 kick on 1:50
    12x50 on 1min swum as 4x 50 free drill, 50 stroke drill, 50 fly fast

warm down
    200 easy

the set with fins sucked royally. I felt great for the first 50 and then the entire rest of the set hurt. Without intentionally descending I descended the set starting out at 1:54 and dropping to 1:49 on the last round. I held :59s on the back. On the kick set I held 1:24s. On the fast fly 50s I held :28s and actually felt pretty good.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 123 - Saturday

by , February 7th, 2015 at 11:28 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep but was beat when I woke up this morning. The week of travel and yesterday's workout tired me out. My right knee is still a little swollen and hope it recovers soon. It's more of an annoyance than anything else. Today was our 500 race pace day.

Warm up
    6x100 on 1:30 swum as 75 free with snorkel, 25 kick
    12x50 drill swim by 25 on 1min

main set
    16x100 on 1:55 at 500 race pace
    8x50 on 1min working on no more than 10 strokes per 25

warm down
    2x400 easy with snorkel

i felt hideous on the first couple of rounds of 100s but was able to get into them and held 56/57 throughout. I was really tired at the end! These hurt much more than the past few weeks and put this down to travel related fatigue. I did the warm down after everyone else was done. My neck was really stiff so I decided to do an extended warm down.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 123 - Friday

by , February 6th, 2015 at 06:55 PM (After a long rest)
    I got back from California around 8:30pm but by the time I got home it was closer to 10:30pm which by my standards is a very late night. I was really tired from a busy few days and slept hard. I woke up to my alarm clock and felt really tired, but drug myself out of bed. It always feels good getting back to my home pool and today was no exception.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main Set
    6x(200 free on 2:30, 100 back on 1:40, 4x50 kick on :50) rounds 1-3 I used a snorkel on the 200 and 4-6 I did not
    12x25 on :40 swum as odds underwater, evens AFAP with a turn

Warm down
    200 free easy

I felt hideous in the warm-up and this continued into the main set today. On the 200s I went 2:11, 2:09, 2:06, 2:04, 2:02, 1:58 by round and after number 2 actually loosened up and despite hurting did not feel anywhere near as hideous. The backs I was swimming smooth and held 1:07s throughout. The 50s kick I was holding :42-:43s. My right knee started bothering me and I felt like I had a little fluid on my knee at the end today. On the 25s underwater I made them but again felt pretty awful. On the fast 25s I was doing :12/:13 with a flip which I was pleased with.

After the workout 5 of us grabbed breakfast at a local diner. It was fun and something we are trying to make a regular team activity.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast