View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 139 - Tuesday

by , May 26th, 2015 at 09:03 PM (After a long rest)
    I was a little sore today but nothing like I was expecting. My left shoulder is still giving my some pain.

Weights
    5x(vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on the machine, :30 rest)
    2xshoulder bands and light weights focused on rotator cuff on left shoulder joint.
    5x(flutter kick, oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50
    12x25 open, close, easy, fast on :40 with fins
    200 easy

I added an extra round of abs and the 5th round was really tough. I plan on holding 5 rounds for the next two weeks and then going to 6 rounds.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 139 - Monday

by , May 25th, 2015 at 01:27 PM (After a long rest)
    This morning I went to breakfast with my wife and kids before joining the senior racers for there 2 hour practice. Both kids were awake and in good moods and we had fun. The older my kids get the easier it is to get one or both kids acting like teenagers and ruining breakfast, lunch or dinner for everyone. This morning they were on good form and it was like the days when they were young. We took two cars and my son was chatty on the way to breakfast and again something that has become a rarity.

I was looking forward to a tough practice this morning but it turned out to be pretty straight forward and relatively easy compared to other practices I have swum with the kids previously. The pool was setup LCM.

Warm up
    600 free done with 4 kicks off the first wall and add one extra underwater kick per 50.
    6x(50 done as 25 back kick, 25 fly kick on back, 50 3/3/3 drill(3 right arm free, 3 on side doing back catch, 3 right arm back, then switch and do the same on the left), 50 alternating free/back by round) on 1:10

main sets
    2x(descending 100s starting on 1:45 and dropping to 1:05, descending 50s starting at 1min and dropping to 1min) :30seconds after 100s and 50s
    400 done as 2x(50 breast on back, 50 breast done as 3 strokes on top, 3 strokes under water, 50 breast done as 2 kick 1 pull, 50 breast)
    100 easy
    10x50 catchup on :50
    5x100 back on 1:40

warm down
    200 easy

On round 1 of the descending 100s I was holding 1:10s and dropped on the 1:10 making it on 1:08 and came in on 1:07 on the 100 on 1:05. On the 50s I again made the second to last 50 but went :32 on the last 50. We did an easy 50 since we ended up at the wrong end. On round 2 we were allowed to pull and I knew I could make them. I held 1:07s until the 1:15 round dropping to 1:05 which I held for the last 3. On the 50s I made the set holding mainly :32s until the last one where I went :30. On the catchup set I worked on higher left elbow on my catch which seemed to take pressure off my shoulder which was sore after the pull on round 2 of the prior set. The 100s back I was holding 1:15s and felt pretty strong.

This is is the longest workout I have done in a long time and I felt pretty decent. Although long course always feel well long, I am finally feeling like I am comfortable doing long course again. It's amazing how long the feeling of comfort swimming long course takes to build up and how quickly it goes away when we stop training long course. I really wish we would swim long course all year but I guess that's not doable with the number of kids on the club team.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 138 - Saturday

by , May 23rd, 2015 at 06:04 PM (After a long rest)
    I fell asleep early last night and felt tired when I arrived at the pool today. Tom is away at a wedding so coach Eric was on deck today. The pool was setup LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    2x(100 free on 1:30, 75 free 25 kick on 1:40, 50 free 50 kick on 1:50, 25 free 75 kick on 2mins, 100 kick on 2mins) all with snorkel
    10x100 pull at 3 seconds below 400 race pace on 2mins
    6x100 pull at 3 seconds below race pace descending interval of 5 seconds per 100

Warm down
    400 free

The kick set made a nice change to our normal kick set. On the race pace 100s set I held mainly 1:03s with a few 1:02s on 2mins and then really worked my tail off on the descending interval to hold1:03-1:04s. Eric asked me to work on high elbow because I am dropping my left elbow. I actually think this maybe the cause of the pain in my left shoulder.

After practice I went to my normal basic yoga class where we worked on inversions and shoulders. It was a great yoga class and the stretching helped my shoulders.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 138 - Friday

by , May 23rd, 2015 at 06:02 PM (After a long rest)
    Was crazy busy yesterday and did not get a chance to log my workout.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    5x100 on 1:25
    4x100 on 1:20
    3x100 on 1:15
    2x100 on 1:10
    1x100 on 1:05
    200 easy
    12x50 kick on 1min
    6x(50 build on 1min, 50 done as 25 scull drill, 25 fast)
    200 easy
    5 mins pushing off bottom of pool with vertical kick trying to touch flags.

I made the 100s down to 1:10 and had to stop for an extra :30 seconds rest after the first one. I then made the 2nd 100 and just missed the 100 on 1:05. I was a little upset with myself stopping because I think I could have touched and turned but I did not! We worked the kick set hard and I was alternating every two between streamline kick on my back and streamline kick on my front coming in on :50s.

I did not like the scull drill finding that it was nothing like swimming free and as such struggle to see how to apply it. The pushing off the bottom of the pool was really good fun and with the group it made a good competitive change to the end of practice. I made the flags from lane two but struggled in lane one where there is no sag.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 138 - Thursday

by , May 21st, 2015 at 10:18 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a busy day at work yesterday and was tired last night. I had a good night of sleep and slept through the thunderstorms that passed through Dallas last night. However when I woke up I had to drive through some torrential rain on my way to the pool. The rain made driving particularly difficult. We have gone from 15ft below normal lake levels in and around the metroplex on the back of a 5year drought to overflowing lakes; all of this since the turn of the new year. I am not complaining because we really need it but at this rate we can start selling water to California

Weights
    10x(leg press, lunges, leg extensions, inclined bench, bench, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull downs hands inside, lat pull down hands outside, lower back extensions)
    2xshoulder bands and light weights focused on rotator cuff on left shoulder joint.
    4x(flutter kick, oblique crunches, leg lift, planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

swimming

400 free with snorkel
    16x25 open, close, easy, fast on :40 with fins
    300 easy

We will be going to 5 rounds of abs next week and I have set a short term goal of 6 rounds before summer Nationals. This set is 100% pain after about 2mins but I can feel improvements already in my core. Today was the first time I was able to do the last lift on the last round on the 90/45/15. I am also thinking of adding some v sits instead of the crunches and maybe the leg lifts we will do raises. It's sick thinking of ways of making this hurt even more but It's been fun with the other guys. When I did this on the road on my own it was hideous but somehow as a group it's not so bad.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 138 - Wednesday

by , May 20th, 2015 at 08:49 AM (After a long rest)
    Well I survived my big meeting yesterday morning and got through the day with no deodorant(phew). I immediately added an deodorant into my swim bag so I don't have the same issue again. I slept well last night and work feeling pretty good this morning. the pool was setup scy this morning.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    4x(25 fly on :40, 50 back on :40, 75 breast on 1:10, 100 free on 1:10)
    100 easy
    16x50 with fins on 1min working under-waters and trying to hold :23/:24
    100 easy
    4x(100 kick on 1:30, 25 easy on :40, 2x25 back on :20, 25 easy on :40)

warm down
    300 easy

i rigged up my snorkel with a bungee chord which seems to work but the snorkel does move around a little on my head at the turns so I am not sure if this is a permanent solution. I may try another brand of snorkel. I have had 3 finis snorkels and they all have failed in the same spot which is where the clip holding the strap to the snorkel fails. It's a tiny plastic clip. At $35 a snorkel failure due to a 50cent clip seems like a design flaw.

Todays workout out was really tough. One of my training partners has really stepped up his game over the past couple of months and is pushing me pretty hard which has been good for both of us. Today was swum at a high intensity throughout. The 25,50,75,100 set was tough and we were going :14/:15 on the fly, :33-:35 on the back, :56-:59 on the breast and 1:01s on the free. On the 16x50 Tom wanted us holding a consistent stroke count 8/9 in my case and not surfacing until after the yellow lane marker off the start and walls. Add in holding a fast time :23/:24 and this was a really tough set. I would venture to say this was harder than the way we normally swim it despite the fins. The last main set we swam hard with me holding 1:18s on the kick. My training partner kicked my butt on these holding under 1:15s. He was hauling on the kick. On the 25s back I was holding :15s. I worked my underwaters.

My my left shoulder is now hurting so I am going to see an ortho doctor in the next week or so. One of the guys on our team has been to an ortho who works with the Dallas Cowboys and apparently is very good so I will try to see him. Fingers crossed it's nothing major.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 138 - Tuesday

by , May 19th, 2015 at 08:42 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a big meeting at work this morning and had to bring work cloths to the pool and headed straight to the office after practice. I spent time last night making sure I packed and was prepared. Despite this I always forget something and of all things I forgot my deodorant. I believe the chlorine in my body got me through the day but it adds to the stress knowing something was not in place this morning. Today was dry land and an easy swim.

Weights
    10x(leg press, lunges, leg extensions, inclined bench, bench, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull downs hands inside, lat pull down hands outside, lower back extensions)
    4x(flutter kick, oblique crunches, leg lift, planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

swimming

400 free with snorkel
    8x25 open, close, easy, fast on :40 with fins
    200 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 138 - Monday

by , May 18th, 2015 at 02:16 PM (After a long rest)
    The pool was setup LCM today.

Warmup
    400 free no snorkel(my snorkel snapped Ė this is my 3rd snorkel in about 12 months)

Main sets
    3x200 backstroke on 3:30
    3x200 IM on 3:10
    3x200 on 2:40
    200 easy
    12x50 kick on 1min
    4x(50 drill on 1min, 50 done as 25 underwater and 25 easy on 1min, 100 at 400 pace on 2mins)

Warm down
    200 easy

I felt very off this morning; tired and not motivated! As the workout went on I felt better and better though. I had a hard day related to a melt down from my daughter at a swim meet yesterday and it affected my interaction with my daughter and wife, and as a result I was not in the right place mentally. I worked the 200ís back and descended the 200s back going 2:41, 2:37, 2:35. The IMís I held 2:45s. On the 200s free I went 2:23,2:22, 2:22. I was pooped after this set. The kick set I held consistent :50s. On the 100s race pace I went 1:07,1:06,1:06,1:05. I felt hideous and tired but dug deep to hold this time. I was really happy with the times on the race pace 100s but I was beat and feeling sorry for myself today!

I have a big week this week at work. I just heard that my travel this week has been postponed which is awesome.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 137 - Saturday

by , May 16th, 2015 at 02:13 PM (After a long rest)
    I fell asleep watching Jupiter Ascending last night and my wife woke me and told me to go to bed which I duely did. I slept hard and woke up feeling pretty good. My daughter was diagnosed with strep yesterday and when I woke up I too had a sore throat but I think mine was snoring rather than strep or at least that's my hope. Today the pool was setup LCM and it was our annual Indy 500 set which is a derivative of our typical 100s at 400/500 race pace set. Tom gave everyone a goal time which you are supposed to beat and based on the number of seconds under the goal time you get points. If you go slower than the goal time he adds points. The team swims this as a group and Tom adds up the points each round from everyone. It's fun!

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    12x50 alternating 50 fast on :40, 50 drill on 1min

Main set
    Indy 500 - 100s on 2min
    200 easy
    8x50 back kick with fins on 1min working underwater

Warm down
    400 easy

We did 12 rounds of 100s in the Indy 500 and my goal time was 1:10. One of the senior racers who is a stud and is going to swim D1 next year swam this set with us. He and I had the same goal time and Tom gave him crap about keeping up with the old man as he often does with the kids when they swim with us or I swim with them; it's quite funny to watch the kids either step up or shrink. The kid today is a good kid and we know each other quite well having both trained and competed against each other for the past 3 years and he is quick. We decided to swim in adjacent lanes and put on snorkels which I believe was his intent to block me out however since we were so close I could see him out of my peripheral vision and I am sure he could see me. On the first 100 we went 1:03s and then held 1:05s until 10. I dropped to a 1:06 on the last 2 while he kept the 1:05 pace. It's amazing how much harder it is dropping a couple of seconds per 100 on this set from last week. I was quite pleased with how I felt and for the first time in a few weeks my left shoulder felt good. On the kick set I really worked my underwaters and was holding :29s which is the fastest I recall going on a kick set even with fins. All around a fun workout with a little different spin on the main set. The hardest part was not really knowing how many you were actually going to do so it was hard holding anything back and in the end i was just swimming and not worrying about the next one.

After swimming i did my normal basic yoga class where we did shoulder stretching which was awesome.

I got got the go ahead for our meet in Rockwall the week after Nationals so will be completing the sanction form and paperwork for the meet. It's the 15-16 August. Should be fun! Hopefully it will show up online this next week after it's been sanctioned.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 137 - Friday

by , May 15th, 2015 at 01:40 PM (After a long rest)
    As is quite often the case the day after next to no sleep I was really hurting when I woke up this morning. I was really tired!!

Today we swam lcm and after the warmup swum ok but I felt really crappy during the warm up.

Warm up
    4x100 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

main sets
    4x(300 swim on 3:45, 200 kick on 4mins, 100 IM on 1:40)
    100 easy
    4x(100 free with fins on 1:05 straight into 25 underwater, 25 easy)

warm down
    200 easy

I was anticipating the main set to be brutal but other than the first 300 where I went from warm up to main set(mainly in my head) it was tough but not ugly. I went 3:35 on the first 300 and then dropped to 3:30-3:32 on the next 3. The kick I was getting about 30 seconds rest and about 20 seconds in the IM. On the 4x100s with fins I whimped out in the first two and despite making the send off went a comfortable 1:01. On the third 100 the guy behind me in our lane decided he was going to move over a land and he really went for it. I was about a body length down and 50 and the inner me kicked in and I came back at him going :57 and on the last one I went for it going a :54. The underwaters were a nightmare and I only managed about 15m underwater.

We went to breakfast as a group this morning which was fun. I was also given approval for our masters meet the weekend after nationals so I will be filling out USMS paperwork and signing up for club assistant. Watch this space for more info.

i forgot to write that my daughter was diagnosed with strep this morning. She seems to get sick a lot. Hopefully she is getting it all out of her system while she is young.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 137 - Thursday

by , May 14th, 2015 at 08:59 PM (After a long rest)
    I landed at love field at around 11:30pm after my delayed flight home from Minneapolis via Kansas City. By the time I got home it was after midnight. Despite being very tired I had a hard time getting to sleep and this morning came about 4 hours too soon. I hauled myself out of bed and headed to the pool for my dry land and swim this morning.

Weights

swimming

400 free with snorkel
    10x50 catchup on :50

The 90/45/15 leg lifts are still very difficult for me and I will continue to work on this one. As a result of over 20minutes of abs I did not have much time to swim but at least got a nice loosen up swim.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 137 - Wednesday

by , May 13th, 2015 at 10:19 AM (After a long rest)
    Yesterday I caught a 6am flight to Minneapolis and as such missed my workout. With customer meetings all day I never made it to the pool and as is usually the way I felt sloth like last night and this morning. It's amazing how I have grown to live by my routine and one change causes me no end of affects. This morning I joined the Twin a Cities masters team at the University of Minneapolis pool. I swam my final big tens here and at least one dual meet as I recall from my college days. The pool was setup lcm which was nice and I really enjoyed the pool. It really is a great facility and I was amazed at how few masters swimmers there were.

Warm up
    400 free
    300 pull
    200 kick
    100 drill

main sets
    2x(200 kick/swim by 100 on 4mins, 3x100 kick on 2:15 done as 25 fast, 75 easy, 50 fast, 50 easy, 100 fast, 100 easy on 2mins)
    400 pull negative split on 6mins
    2x200 IM on 3:30 done as 1st round drill, 2nd round build each 50
    4x100 descend 1-4 on 1:45
    8x50 on 1min odds easy, evens fast
    4x100 on 1:45 done as 25 fast, 75 easy, where 25 fast moves from 1st-4th 25 by round

warm down
    200 easy

Most of this was swum aerobically. I got into a little bit of a race on the 400 and again on the 4x100s with one of the young guys. We went 2:20,2:15 on each 200 of the 400 pull, and descended from 1:10 to 1:03 on the descending 100s. The young guy got out after the 4x100s but I continued to work the even 50s and went 30s. The workout felt long but I felt good other than a slight pinch in my left shoulder which has been there for a while now and I probably need to go and see an ortho doctor.

Updated May 13th, 2015 at 02:13 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 137 - Monday

by , May 11th, 2015 at 08:56 AM (After a long rest)
    We had a very lazy day yesterday partly by plan and partly due to the weather. Storms rolled through all day and towards the end of the day we were under tornado watch.

The pool was setup scy today due to a B/C meet at the pool over the weekend. I was REALLY sore today likely as a result of Saturday's power yoga class. My legs ached but my shoulders and back were incredibly stiff. I loosened up after we got going as usual but it seemed to take forever today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45

Main sets
    6x125 kick on 2mins
    100 easy
    5x100 on 1:20 with snorkel
    4x100 on 1:15 with snorkel
    3x100 on 1:10
    2x100 on 1:05
    1x100 on 1min
    100 easy
    10x50 on 1min perfect stroke alternating free and back by 50
    12x25 no breathers with fins on :30
    6x25 no breath fly fast on 1min

Warm down
    200 easy

the kick was brutal. It's amazing how a set totaling 750yds can hurt so much. I really worked this set and was coming in on 1:45s. We have not done the 5,4,3,2,1 set in quite a while and the trick to this is to hit a good pace early and then to try to stay relaxed as the set progresses. I was holding 1:03s throughout and then tried bringing it home on the last 100. I came in on 1:01 which despite not making the final 100 I was happy with based on how I felt at the beginning of practice and in general right now. I am still not back aerobically where I was before the shingles but I am getting closer. The no breather 25s on :30 were tough.

We have our teams post nationals party on the 6th June at my house and I am looking forward to it. I am also trying to figure out my meet schedule this summer I want to swim a few kids meets but I am not sure if this is going to work out. Ideally I would like at least one meet a month(preferably 2) but I am not sure if this will happen. Some of the kids meets I want to swim at are split across different sites(1pool in Keller and 1 pool in Lakeside with finals at Lakeside) and with my daughter swimming in 11-12 and me swimming with the older kids it makes it quite challenging. Obviously my daughters swimming comes first so supporting her is goal number 1. I will work it out!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 136 - Saturday

by , May 9th, 2015 at 07:20 PM (After a long rest)
    Today's practice was an hour earlier than normal and the pool was split into three groups, masters had 3 lanes, my daughters group had 2 lanes and the 14-16 yr olds had 3 lanes. We all swam the same workout and despite plenty of time on the sets it was swum very fast.

The pool was setup LCM

Warm up
    1000 alternating stroke and streamline kick by 100.

Main sets
    2x(4x50 on 1min fly, 1 min vertical kick, 3x50 fly 6lines underwater on 1min, 3x50 fly fast on :50) round 1 swim, round 2 with fins
    3x(250 back done as 100 swim, 50 streamline kick, 100 swim on 4mins, 150 Breast done as 50 kick, 50 2 kick 1 pull, 50 swim on 3 mins)
    5x100 race from dive done as 25 under water, 50 swim, 25 streamline kick

Warm down
    400 easy working on elongating the body and stroke

I was next to the fast kids and me being me I swam fast. The fly was tough and we were holding :35s on round 1 and sub :30s on round 2 with fins. The back breast set was tiring and I worked the back but despite my best efforts the kids came back at me on the breast. I don't seem to make much forward momentum on breast. I felt good on my back and was getting about :35 seconds rest. The breast I was only getting about 10-15 seconds rest. The 5x100s were fun and I was amazed how quick the kids are both underwater and on the kick. I am able to hold my own on the swim portion but get my butt handed to me on the underwater and kick.

After swimming I dropped my daughter home and then went to double yoga. My first yoga class was a basic yoga class where we worked inner thighs and worked on balance. The second yoga class was a power yoga class and I sweat up a storm. It was really tough. Lots and lots of strength and balance on one bent leg. Oh this hurt so so bad. I believe being tall is a disadvantage on the balance exercises and I have lots to perfect but I plan on working on it.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 136 - Friday

by , May 8th, 2015 at 06:33 PM (After a long rest)
    We had more storms come through Dallas last night and I also had a big meeting today and was anticipating a tough night getting to sleep but I slept again like a baby. I got 9 hours of deep sleep!

The pool was setup LCM this morning.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main set
    12x50 backstroke kick with fins on :50
    3x(3x100 with snorkel on 1:20 holding 1:10, 100 easy on 2mins)
    4x(2x50 catchup on 1min, 2x25 afap on :40, 100 IM afap on 1:40)
    4x(1min vertical kick straight into 10 dolphin kick push off with break out)

Warm down
    100 easy

I was holding :31s on the kick set with fins. I held 1:10s comfortably uncomfortable(Tom's way of saying that you swim within yourself but your working it). The fast 25s were fun! I worked both 25s but went especially hard on the second 25 from the middle of the pool with no push off. I felt good. The IMs I held 1:15s and again felt strong particularly on the fly. In fact I am feeling really good on fly which makes me wonder if I should try swimming it seriously at a couple of meets this summer.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 136 - Thursday

by , May 7th, 2015 at 08:38 PM (After a long rest)
    I had another really good night of sleep. In fact I slept so deep that when I woke up this morning I was shocked to see my daughter wedged between my wife and I. Apparently we had storms last night and my daughter snuck down and somehow did not wake her mother(she is a very shallow sleeper). I don't recall the last time my daughter slept with us; it brought back great memories of when she was 5 or 6 and would make any excuse to sleep with Mum and Dad. Fun days!!!!

today I once again did an easy weights workout focusing on all muscle groups with the intent of getting the muscle pain associated with getting in the weight room out of the way. I added an extra round of abs and did the new last abs exercise my yoga instructor suggested which quite honestly is brutal.

Weights

3x(flutter kick, oblique crunches, leg lift, planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

swimming

400 free with snorkel
    8x50 kick on 1min
    8x25 with fins on :40 done as open, close, easy, fast
    200 easy

My upper abs in particular hurt a lot today. The 90/45/15 was really hard and I found it much harder going back up than down. This is legs together in an extension at 90 degrees to your torso for 10 seconds, lowering the leg extension to 45 degrees and holding for another 10 seconds, lowering the legs to 15 degrees and again holding for 10 seconds, then going back up. The last 90 degrees was awful. I am really weak at 90 degrees for some reason. I definitely will work on this.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 136 - Wednesday

by , May 6th, 2015 at 06:43 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a great night of sleep last night and woke up looking forward to practice. I am finally feeling pretty good again after my shingles and other than getting tired quicker than I would like I am doing great.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :45

Main sets
    6x(100 kick on 1:30 afap, 50 fly on :40 afap, 100 easy on 1:50)
    10x50 on 1min long perfect swims concentrating on DPS
    12x50 on 1min at 200 race pace(26/27)

Warm down
    300 easy

This was one tough workout. The kick/fly combo was tough. I held 1:15-1:16 on the kick and :29/:30 on the fly. Tom said he wanted between 5 and 10 seconds rest and as it turned out I got more than that. The 50s at race pace was tough as usual. I need to revisit the article I read about race pace training because I believe I am going on too much rest and need to fail. We are not back to 16x50ís yet but I also believe in the USRPT training Rushall was suggesting 20ish seconds rest, which would imply we should be going on :45/:50. I also feel like I should be trying to hold :26ís not :27s so need to really work on this. Also I need to see if an adaptation for long course makes sense.

One of my training partners twisted my arm to go to Summer Nationals and I booked a flight today. I also spoke to Tom this morning about us hosting a 2 day meet in Rockwall the weekend after Nationals. Tom was receptive and we tentatively booked the pool. We hosted a meet last summer and according to Tom we donít use the USMS meet registration system and he had to hand enter everyone based on only accepting paper entries. I need to do some research on the online system, so if anyone knows who I can speak with about setting up online meet registration so that entries and results can easily feed into the USMS results database I would very much appreciate an introduction or a discussion. We are using the online system for USAS meets so I would have imagined we could use the same system(I believe we are using HyTek).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 136 - Tuesday

by , May 5th, 2015 at 09:23 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep and felt good this morning. Today was my weights and a short loosen up swim.

Weights

i decided to go pretty easy today since its been a month since I lifted. I decided to do a circuit working everything and then to do a couple of rounds of abs.

10x(leg press, lunges, leg extensions, inclined bench, bench, military press, seated row hands inside, seated row hands outside, lat pull downs hands inside, lat pull down hands outside)
    2x(flutter kick, oblique crunches, leg lift, planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

swimming

400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup
    16x25 with fins on :40 done as open, close, easy, fast
    400 easy

i was sore after weights/dry land today.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 136 - Monday

by , May 4th, 2015 at 09:02 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a terrific weekend in East Texas. For those who have not been to Texas the image of tumbleweed and 1960s movies is very much west Texas. Just east of Dallas all the way to the Louisiana border is east Texas and it's beautiful; tall pines, hardwoods, rolling hills, and some of the neatest old towns. My boss has a ranch between Athens and Palestine in the heart of East Texas. The ranch is about 300 acres with a 25acre pond that is fed by Bushy Creek. It's very secluded and the accommodation is setup as 4 houses; the bunk house, the guest house, my bosses house and the main house. Each house is luxurious and as my wife told me one time better than our house, and to think this is one of his get away houses. It's really awesome. I had asked my boss if I could take some of the guys down to fish and he not only said yes, he told us to spend the night which was great fun. As hard as I tried my wife and kids did not want to go so it was just 4 guys. We left after practice in Saturday arriving in east Texas around 3pm. By about 3:30 we started fishing and did not stop until 7:30. We cooked burgers and bratwursts on the grill and then headed back out to the pond and fished until midnight. I am not a big fisherman but two of the guys were and they came prepared with night lights. On Sunday we were up before dawn and fished from 5:45 until 3pm. Over the weekend we caught in excess of 100 fish made up of bass, crappy, and the biggest blue gills you will ever see. We had a blast and other than a little sun burn it was an issue free weekend and something I will most definitely do again.

This morning I was physically tired but mentally recharged and looked forward to swimming. Today's workout was LCM and was an aerobic workout with a couple shorter fast 100s for good measure.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

main sets
    10x50 with snorkel on :40
    3x(500 alternating kick, free by 100, 300 pull descend by round, 100 fast free) 30 seconds between swims
    6x50 with fins catchup concentrating on high elbow on 1min

warm down
    200 easy

this was the longest workout I have done in a while and the taper is a distant memory from Nationals. I will be sore tomorrow.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 135 - Saturday

by , May 3rd, 2015 at 07:10 PM (After a long rest)
    I organized for 4 of us from swimming to spend the weekend at my bosses 300 acre ranch with 25 acre stocked lake. As such I made arrangements with one of my friends to pick him up before practice so we only needed to take one vehicle. I woke up 30 mins earlier than normal and was a little tired after the week of travel to New Orleans.

Our workout out today was lightly attended with many of the nationals team taking some time off. The pool was setup LCM and I felt really good.

Warm up
    500 free
    6x50 catchup on 1min

main sets
    5x100 kick fast on 2mins
    12x100 at 400 race pace on 2mins

warm down
    400 easy

i decided to use my snorkel for the 100s at race pace. I find sometimes I can relax with the snorkel despite not being quite as quick. I wanted to hold 1:06s and managed to do this which I was happy with. I had one slow 100 which was number 7 but other than that I held my goal time. Tom told me I kept slipping to a 4 beat kick so tried focusing on this and doing a 6 beat kick. I was very pleased with how I felt and the level of effort required to hit the goal time today.

i am still trying to decide my meet line up and at this point would like to do nationals and the SPMS lcm meet but have not spoken with my wife yet. I am also trying to do 2 kids meets this summer along with two other local luck meets.

The fishing trip was great fun despite getting sun burned on my knees(I even applied and reapplied sun screen). We must have caught 100+ fish and some really nice sized fish. I hope we can do this again with more of the guys from our team. It was a lot of fun!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast