View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 207 - Saturday

by , September 25th, 2016 at 06:06 PM (After a long rest)
    I did not get back until late last and only got about 3 hours of sleep before I got up for morning practice. Today was going to be a long day anyhow since I had to run practice for our seniors and my daughter had her first scy meet of the season. I was really hoping we would not be doing the 16x100s but my wish did not come true. I did get going but it took every ounce of effort and concentration to get going. My times were off today but not too surprising with the lack of sleep this week. Pool setup scy.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50

main sets
    8x50 kick on :50
    16x100 free at 500 race pace on 2mins

warm down
    400 free

despite trying to get on pace it never really happened today but I did hold :58/:59 throughout the set. My original plan was to make 12 and then ease up but my stubbornness got the better of me and I finished the set with a :57 on the last 100. My elbow felt good on the set but later in the day started to ache. The anti inflammatory pills help a lot but I do wonder how long I can stay on them and what the long term holds. The good thing seems that even if the elbow starts to hurt the pain goes away fairly quickly with ice and the pills.

My daughter practiced for 2 hours and then got up and did great in her meet with 3 best times. She went a very easy looking 200 back and beat her spring TAGs time. Her iM looked great and again a best time. She swam the 50 free and again a best time and did great but I have never seen anyone breath more than her. If she could just learn to not breath as much on a 50 she would drop a lot of time.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Week 207 - Friday

by , September 25th, 2016 at 05:56 PM (After a long rest)
    I flew to Chicago on a 5am flight on Thursday and had a 2:45am alarm today. Ohhh was it tough getting up today. I am on site at a customers and by the end and head home late tonight.

Today I decided to join the Illinois Masters at the University of Illinois Chicago(UIC). The aquatic center is just south of downtown and is a 50m pool. I had to ask about the pool length because it looked like an old 50 yard pool. The group was not the friendliest but it could have easily been me being tired before I even started swimming. Still made for a good workout.

Warm up
    1000 free with snorkel

main sets
    4x50 streamline kick/build free by 25 on 1min
    100 easy
    4x50 catchup on :55
    100 easy
    4x50 back on :50
    100 easy
    4x50 free on :45
    100 easy
    100 free on 1:40
    200 free on 3:10
    100 free on 1:35
    300 free on 4:30
    100 free on 1:30
    200 free on 2:50
    100 free on 1:25

warm down
    200 easy

i felt pretty hideous today. I swam the pyramid pretty smooth but felt fatigued by the end. I feel like I need more aerobic swimming to get my fitness back and will try to do some longer swims this fall.

Updated September 25th, 2016 at 07:05 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Week 207 - Wednesday

by , September 25th, 2016 at 05:47 PM (After a long rest)
    Crazy busy week this week. Playing catchup:

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    3x300 smooth pull on 3:30
    100 easy
    7 mins vertical breast kick
    8x25 breast kick with hands at end of the board on :40
    8x25 breast thrust drill with board in :40
    8x25 scull with kick on :40
    8x25 breast pull with flutter kick on :40
    8x25 breast on :40

Warm down
    200 easy

A much different than normal workout. One of my team mates is a breast rocker and she asked to do some breast work. It was different but made a nice change.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Week 207 - Tuesday

by , September 20th, 2016 at 12:51 PM (After a long rest)
    Yesterday was my daughters 13th birthday and despite pangs of sadness that she is growing up we had a terrific day. We ended up giving her presents Sunday evening so it was not so rushed. Yesterday we had a nice family breakfast(my parents are in town celebrating there 50thbwedding anniversary next Saturday) and then went for a family dinner at the local steakhouse. She is so sweet and innocent and I hope she stays this way with life and experience not changing her. Time will tell.

Today I woke up with allergies and as a result a sore throat. I did drylands and face timed bill while we did crazy abs.

Dryland:
    5 mins of general stretching
    15 mins on stationary bike
    elbow PT exercises
    5x(5 X abs for :45 seconds, with :15 second transition) 1 minute between rounds.

After drylands I swam. My intention was to go easy but this one turned out to be a little more intense than I had planned.

400 swim with snorkel
    8x50 kick on :55
    4x100 pull on 1:15 holding under 1min
    100 easy
    10x50 free with snorkel on :50 at 1000 race pace
    200 easy

The kick did not feel great but I still held :41/:42s. I comfortably held :58/:59 on the pull 100s. I was consistently holding :29s on the 50s at pace which was too fast for 1000 pace but felt good
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 207 - Monday

by , September 19th, 2016 at 09:54 PM (After a long rest)
    I was expecting to feel sore this morning after yesterday's exertions but I was not! Once again I swam pretty hard today and again I had no elbow pain It's amazing how different a few weeks of next to no pain has me feeling both physically and mentally. Life is good right now!

Pool set scy

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    4x400 free on 4:40
    200 easy
    3x200 kick on 3:30
    200 easy
    5x100 IMs on 1:30
    200 easy
    8x50 surf drill on :50
    200 easy
    4x25 no breather 25s on :30

warm don
    200 easy

there was some similarity to Water Rats workout today with some 400s but these were swum pretty aerobically on shorter rest intervals. I got into a nice rhythm today and my times were solid holding 4:17/4:18s throughout. I was especially happy that these since they felt smooth. These were like a different feeling from the 100s on 1:15 we did last week where I was whooped. Today felt great! On the 200s kick I was a little tired but descended the set going 3:03, 2:58, 2:55. Again I was very happy with this set. The IMs I started to feel tired but still held 1:12s swimming pretty smooth. Overall this was a really positive workout and I am so happy that my injury is reacting so well to the treatment.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. City of Richardson Corporate Challenge 2016

by , September 18th, 2016 at 08:14 PM (After a long rest)
    Despite my overall fitness not being what it has been in previous years and not having any feelings of speed I swam well today. My times were off from previous corporate challenges however it was awesome being able to compete and my elbow did not bother me at all today. The treatment seems to be working and despite the odd twinge things are much better.

I was hoping to be within a second of last years 22.51 and went 23.23. I know I was slow on the first 50 but had a good turn and felt stronger and faster on the second 25. I was very happy.

On the 50 back again my time of 27.6 was slow but again I was pain free and enjoyed racing. I went very deep on both the start and turn and I felt like this was where I lost time. Still very happy.

I also did did a mixed free relay and my split was 22.7. I think had a good takeover and was happy with the swim.

The City of Richardson Corporate Challenge was where my masters swimming journey started and it's always fun participating for a great cause; special Olympics.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 206 - Saturday

by , September 17th, 2016 at 07:44 PM (After a long rest)
    My friend and fellow RAM swimmer Bill Elizondo is moving to Fort Wayne Indianna and has been away for about six weeks. Bill was back in town this weekend and came to practice this morning. As our guest of honor he got to choose the workout focus and then Tom made up the sets. I was worried Bill would select butterfly which would have been hideous since the pool was setup LCM. Instead Bill choose IM which is better but still includes butterfly and breaststroke.

today was was very tiring but was a lot of fun and it was awesome hanging out with Mr Bill.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

main sets
    8x50 kick on 1min
    8x150 Rotating IMs on 3mins
    3x100 fast free on 1:30
    3x50 fast free on 1mi

warm down
    150 easy

On the kick set I held :45/:47s. i was holding between 2mins and 2:10 during the rotating IMs. On the fast 100s I was 1:09 and on the fast 50s :30/:31s all of which was not that fast but all I had today.

After practice ice we had a team breakfast which my wife put on(she really is a saint)! It was a lot of fun! I miss my training buddy but obviously wish him the very best of luck!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 206 - Friday

by , September 16th, 2016 at 10:27 PM (After a long rest)
    I was tired this morning but not as tired as yesterday. I was fine once I got going and although practice was better today than Wednesday I still have no speed or endurance(i know it will come back but I am inpatient).

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    8x75 kick as 25 flutter, 25 dolphin, 25 flutter on 1:20
    6x(75 free on 1min, 50 back on :40, 25 fly on :20 all with fins)
    8x50 as 25 six kick switch drill, 25 no breather on 1min
    10x50 free on :40
    2x100 fast from a push on 1:30

warm down
    200 easy

On the kick set I was consistently holding 1:05. On the set with fins i was holding :40 on the 75s, :30 on the 50, and :15 on the 25. The 50s on :40 felt much better today and I easily held :30s on this set. After practice I spoke to tom about dropping the interval next time we do this kind of set. On the 100s fast I felt ok but had not speed or endurance. I managed :55s from a push.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Week 206 - Thursday

by , September 15th, 2016 at 09:22 PM (After a long rest)
    Today was a LONG day! I had an 7am meeting about 90minutes in traffic from my house but decided I was still going to do drylands. I set my alarm for 3:45am and hauled myself out of bed. I was pretty lack luster but at least I got my heart rate up.

Dryland:
    2x(3xshoulder band exercises) :30
    5x(5 X abs for :45 seconds, with :15 second transition) 1 minute between rounds.
    2x(elbow band exercises)

i booked a flight to Boston on 8th December for the NE Champs meet so I now have a goal ahead of me. Even if I am unable to do all the events I would like to do I will swim and I am excited. I have PT tomorrow so will again be in a rush in the morning.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Week 206 - Wednesday

by , September 14th, 2016 at 09:29 PM (After a long rest)
    It's been a crazy busy week and I got back from San Francisco around midnight and got up at 4:30am this morning. I had committed to open the pool so others depended on me and despite being very tired I was not going to let anyone down.

Despite not not feeling that great I had fun this morning

warm up
    400 free with snorkel

main sets
    12x50 kick on :50
    8x100 free on 1:15 with snorkel
    10x50 as 25 fly kick hands by arms, 25 ugly dolphin drill on 1min
    12x25 fly on :40
    12x50 free on :40 with snorkel

warm down
    200 easy

a fair amount of aerobic swimming and I was tired after the 100s. I was ho,ding 1:03/1:04s but these hurt a lot more than they should. The 50s at the end I held :30/:31s and actually felt much better than the 100s.

My my elbow is feeling much less painful than before so the shot and anti inflammatory seems to be working.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 206 - Monday

by , September 12th, 2016 at 11:16 PM (After a long rest)
    I arrived in San Francisco yesterday and thanks to a recommendation from Patrick(pwb) swam at the North Beach pool in downtown.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nort...psGJ22mhxAM%3A

The pool is a little quirky and looks like two side by side pools with a walkway between the pools. One side is 25m(the side I swam in) while the other is like 87' long with steps at the end. The side I swam in was nice and cold even by my standards while the other was much warmer.

I ended up doing a short workout but somehow avoided anyone getting in with me. I think I scared people off

warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

main sets
    16x50 free at 200 race pace with snorkel on 1min
    200 easy
    6x100 kick with board on 1:45

warm down
    200 easy

i managed to hold :30/:31s on the 50s which is not quite my 200 pace SCM but is getting closer. My elbow did not hurt today for the first time in a long time. On the kick I was holding 1:35-1:36s throughout. I was tired after the kicking. I really would like to head over to ucsf in the morning but unfortunately my schedule won't work so I will likely go back to north beach and do my own workout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 295 - Saturday

by , September 12th, 2016 at 12:16 PM (After a long rest)
    Today was setup LCM and it's the 16x100s day. I decided I was going to focus on form and stop if I felt any pain in my elbow. My all around conditioning has noticeably dropped due to kicking for 6 weeks or so. My legs feel strong but my aerobic base is shot. It's not the end of the world but it made this workout tough.

Warmup
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 finger tip drag drill with high elbows breathing right on 1min

main sets
    4x200 on 3:30 as 100 kick on board, 100 swim(#1 and #2 back, #3 and #4 free)
    16x100 on 2mins done as 8x100 free at pace(I wish it was race pace but alas it was not), 8x100 kick

warm down
    200 easy

i was coming in around 3:10 on the back and 3:05 on the free. On the 16x100s my elbow started to hurt at about 6 so stopped at 8 and flipped to kick. I was holding 1:09/1:10 on the frees and 1:40 on the kick.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Week 205 - Friday

by , September 9th, 2016 at 09:23 PM (After a long rest)
    I have been struggling recently with this whole elbow injury and feeling pretty sorry for myself. I met the surgeon on Tuesday and he to,d me he did not want to operate on me because he was afraid that the operation associated with reattaching the tendons would affect my ability to swim at the level I wanted to swim. He said he wanted to try some other non surgical steps and leave surgery to a last resort. He wanted to put me on stronger anti inflamatories, PT and ultrasound and PRP Therapy. The surgeon swam at Wisconsin and suggested recording my swimming to identify where I am hyper extending my arm. I feel like I have been pushed from Doctor to doctor and just wanted the pain to go away. On Tuesday I had had a bad night of sleep and it was a particularly painful day. I was actually upset that the surgeon told me he was not operating. Tuesday I started the new anti inflammatories and by Wednesday a lot of the pain had subsided and I had the best night of sleep I had in a couple months. As the week has gone on I have felt better. On Wednesday we videod my strokes and found two hyper extension issues. I breath to the left on my free and when I breath my right arm hyper extends and my right hand goes right. I also hyper extend my right arm when I do backstroke. i tend to do more free than back and if I breath right I don't hyper extend my arm. The challenge is I don't feel natural breathing right so it's going to take a lot of work to fix the stroke. On my back I need to be more conscious of the hyper extension and try to straighten the arm.

I have swum all week and did dryland on Tuesday and Wednesday. I am feeling better in myself today have felt better each day since I was put in the anti inflammatories.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 204 - Saturday

by , September 3rd, 2016 at 10:41 AM (After a long rest)
    I went to bed early and very unusually remembered my dreams; I was back in college swimming. I guess Deanna is right that I think about swimming a lot!!! Despite a lot of sleep I was still tired this morning.

The pool was setup LCM today. We will be swimming LCM Friday-Monday each week until December when the bulkhead has to be moved for the end of year prelims and finals meets.

Warm up
    400 left arm pull free with snorkel
    6x50 left arm finger tip drag drill with high elbow on 1min

main sets
    8x50 done as 25 afap over kick, 25 streamline kick on 1min
    12x100 streamline back kick with fins on 2mins
    8x100 kick on 2mins

warm down
    200 easy

my elbow was aching today and the streamline position hurt my elbow for some reason; this is the first time this has happened. I held 1:06/1:07 on the kick with fins. On the 8 without fins I held 1:43/1:44s. I was whooped after this practice.

I love long course but I don't like long course in pain
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 204 - Friday

by , September 3rd, 2016 at 10:32 AM (After a long rest)
    I slept ok but was tired this morning.

Pool setup scy

Warm up
    400 left arm free with snorkel
    6x50 left arm finger tip drag high elbow drill on :50

Main sets
    8x50 kick on 1min
    16x25 as 12.5 streamline kick afap transitioning to left arm with over kick afap for 12.5 on :40
    6x100 kick on 1:30
    4x(100 streamline back kick on 1:15, 75 streamline back kick on :50, 50 streamline back kick on :35, 25 streamline back kick on :20)

Warm down
    200 easy

Despite doing well on the first few sets this kicking is getting really old. To make matters worse, despite the no arm use my elbow is still hurting. I see the surgeon on Tuesday.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 204 - Thursday

by , September 1st, 2016 at 06:17 PM (After a long rest)
    I realized that my sleeping challenges are again related to my allergies. I took some allergy meds before going to bed and slept much better, but woke up tired. No win I guess!

Dryland:
    2x(elbow band exercises)

Swimming:
    Pool setup was scy
    6x50 left arm fingertip drag drill with high elbow on :50
    12x50 kick on 1min
    12x25 underwater with fins on :40
    200 easy
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 204 - Wednesday

by , August 31st, 2016 at 09:45 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep but struggled to get out of bed this morning. As a result I was a few minutes late getting to the pool.

Warm up
    6x50 left arm finger tip drag drill with high elbow on :50

main sets
    8x50 kick on :50 getting HR up
    16x50 kick with fins best average on 1min
    200 easy
    10 minutes of vertical kicking done as 1min flutter kick, 1min fly kick
    8x25 left arm out head down kicking on :35
    8x25 right arm out head down kicking on :35
    8x25 underwater no fins on :35

warm down
    200 easy

i had a great kick set with the fins and held :25s throughout.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 204 - Tuesday

by , August 30th, 2016 at 09:25 AM (After a long rest)
    My training partner and best swim bud Bill moved to Fort Wayne, Indianna about a month ago and despite missing him I am very happy he and his family now have some work stability. During drylands we face timed Bill and he joined us remotely. It was actually kind of fun him doing the workout with us and us passing the phone around as we did the exercise and chatted to Bill. It's amazing how doing this pushed the pain associated with our crazy abs to background and everyone commented that it was much easier this morning. We had 8 of us including Bill at 5:00am doing crazy abs. The Rockwall contingent met at 4:30am as usual and did a warmup before joining Bill who did a run before he did crazy abs.

2x(elbow band exercises)

Swimming setup scy
    400 left arm swim with snorkel
    6x50 left hand finger tip drag high elbow drill on :50
    20x50 kick on 1min best average
    300 easy
    12x25 underwater on :40

I held :39/:40 on the kick which is by far my best average on this set.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 204 - Monday

by , August 30th, 2016 at 09:10 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a good night of sleep on Sunday night.

Last week was a terrific work week(hard) with some significant business wins. Our business is really starting to see some momentum and it's exciting. All the hard work is paying off; sounds a lot like swimming!

today was a long aerobic type workout which I choose to do with fins. I find these longer sets very boring just kicking. Somehow keeping up with everyone else and doing it with the group helps.

Warm up
    6x50 left arm finger tip drag with high elbow drill on :50

main sets
    4x200 streamline back kick with fins on 2:30
    3x300 streamline back kick with fins on 3:45
    2x400 streamline back kick with fins on 5mins
    1x500 streamline back kick with fins on 6:15

warm down
    200 easy

i was holding 1:05 pace throughout the kick set with fins. I tried adding one more underwater kick per wall today to make it a little harder aerobically. I felt ok!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 203 - Saturday

by , August 28th, 2016 at 09:31 AM (After a long rest)
    Pain at night in my elbow has been a constant the past few months. I go to sleep with my arm in one position and then when I move the arm it wakes me up. It's a sharp pain initially and a dull ache until the arm warms up. Once the arm is moving the pain dramatically subsides so throughout the day it generally feels pretty good. Squeezing my hand really hurts and trying to apply pressure on the catch is also painful.

Friday night i woke up at around 1am and struggled to go back to sleep until around 3am. Practice was early today due to the special Olympics being hosted at our pool and starting at 8am. We normally swim from 7-8am on Saturday(although I will often get an extra 15minutes by getting in early). Today was a 5:45qm start. Tom asked if people wanted to do some timed swims with pads since the pool was setup for the meet. I never need asking about racing but sometimes others are reluctant.

Warm up
    6x50 left arm finger tip high elbow drag drill with snorkel on 1min
    8x50 kick on :45 getting heart rate up

2x200 back kick with fins on 10mins with 200 warm down after each 200[1:54.4, 1:53.2]

3x100 back kick with fins on 5mins with 200 warm down after each 100[:52.8,:53.8,:53.4]

2x50 left arm only free on 3:30 with 100 warm down after each 50[:30.1 :26.4]

on the swims with fins I was not allowed to flip turn on the pads so I swam 150 on the 200s and 50 on the 100s in the half lane next to the bulkhead and then went under the lane line on the last turn and finished in the lane with pads. I have done 200s kick with fins before and prior to today my best was a 1:55 so I was pleased with these. The :52.8 was really good but hurt really bad as shown on my next 100 which was a second slower. I dug deep on the last one and was happy to be faster and probably would have been a little quicker but glided in on the finish.

The 50s were fun! On the first one I was very timid with the start and went easy down the first 25. At the turn I noticed I was a body length or more behind the pack and decided to pick it up and see if I could I catch everyone. It was pretty tight but I finally went ahead inside the flags. On the next 50 I was more aggressive on the start, first 25 and the turn and was very surprised with the time.

This is was a lot of fun!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 56 123451151 ... LastLast