View RSS Feed

After a long rest

I am a former swimmer, trying to get back into competitive swimming. I have been out of the pool 20 years and put on some extra pounds. This blog primarily documents my journey back to competitive swimming. And I should say having fun along the way!!!

1. Week 144 - Wednesday

by , July 1st, 2015 at 08:33 PM (After a long rest)
    I slept like a log last night but woke feeling tired like I had not slept or at least not long enough. The pool was setup LCM again today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    10x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    12x50 done as 8 butterfly kicks underwater followed by 6 butterfly strokes no breath, 25-30m breast on 1:10
    16x50 on 1 min at 200 race pace(30/31)
    200 easy
    12x100 kick on 2mins, odds fast, evens just make it

Warm down
    200 easy

Despite getting back from Atlanta at around 5pm yesterday and having an easy evening watching the recording of the US vs Germany women’s soccer game, I was really tired this morning. In particular I felt my left shoulder for the first time in a while. The 12x50s transition set was harder than it looks and I struggled making the 6 strokes fly without breathing. The 16x50s I was holding 30 highs/31 lows but despite the times being great I was hurting big time from about #4 on. My body wanted to swim slower and I had to fight the whole way to stick to my times. Unlike last week where I felt strong the whole way I felt like I was fighting the pool the last 10-12 meters in order to hold my goal time. I was pooped but pleased with my ability to stick with it today. The 100s kick hurt bad with both quads locking up right off the first 50 turn and I ended up swimming with cramp for most of the 100s kick but I still made the times although they were not that great going 1:50s on the fast and 1:59’s on the just make it one.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Why compete in masters meets?

by , June 30th, 2015 at 09:41 PM (After a long rest)
    I am arranging a 2 day meet in Rockwall the week after summer Nationals and it has made me think a lot about why did I signup to try to put this meet on? Other team members are helping and the meet is by no means a solo effort but I asked myself why do I care one way or the other whether other masters swimmers compete at our meet or not; and even more broadly why am I as passionate about the sport of swimming as I am.

As I have written previously I am a former national level swimmer and quit the sport after the 1992 Olympic trials, burnt out and frustrated. At the time swimming had become something I needed to do rather than something I wanted to do. 20+ years and a lot of weight later I was roped into swimming in a corporate challenge event at work. After competing(I did not win) and having so much fun I decided I was going to give swimming another go. My initial intent was to get back into some semblance of physical shape. Initially swimming was tough but after about 6 months I ventured to Bryan, Texas and competed in a very small local meet. Again my times were not stellar and I was nervous but once again I had so much fun. Unlike the last year or so of my college swimming career where I was not enjoying myself and despite having success Swimming had lost the fun element, masters swimming was a lot of fun.

Again as I have written numerous times on my blog I travel a fair bit with work and no matter where I am I go out of my way to swim. Traveling for work is highly overrated, boring, tiring and most of the time the complete opposite of fun. Despite my job requiring me to meet and interact with large groups of people I am naturally a quiet and fairly introverted person. When I first started dropping in on masters teams both domestically and internationally I was quite nervous but again soon realized that no matter where I went I had something in common with those I choose to join at 0-dark something; a passion for swimming. I was not the only crazy guy who had fun following the black line at the bottom of the pool.

I realized that win or loose I liked the feeling of swimming fast, racing and pushing myself to my physical limit. After a while I even stopped comparing my times to what I did when I was younger and compared my times to my last swims. I still get upset and disappointed with not so great swims but it's no longer a love hate relationship with swimming, its purely a love relationship.

Despite my weight loss and body transition over the last three years I still don't have a 20 year olds body and obviously I never will. When I first started masters swimming I was embarrassed by my body shape and this initially caused me hesitation to compete. Somewhere along the way I realized it did not matter. Everyone in masters swimming has aged from our memories view of our physical glory days and our body shapes and sizes are what they are and are not important. Someone said to me one time that we all have two things in common, we are all born and we all die. He followed this with, what makes a great life is what you do with the time in between these two events. I can't control when my time is up but having the ability to have the highest quality of life while I am here is within my control and swimming has provided me some wonderful experiences. I truly believe, that swimming has given me a stronger relationship with my wife, most of the stress I used to bring home from work I leave at work and I believe I have become less flustered and frustrated as a result. I am still able to keep up with my kids, and my daughter specifically and I have a shared passion and spend time together as a result of swimming. I believe I bring more value to my business because I am more alert and mentally strong at work because of swimming. I have made friends I would not have made and in nearly every case feel like I have friends for life.

So why compete? I believe that meets add even more value to the masters swimming experience. Swimming is to a large extent, a fairly solitary sport. Somehow we get to know each other without really spending much total time talking. After all how much conversation can be conducted in the 10-15 seconds between swims and the 5-10 minutes at the beginning and end of practice? Meets allow us to share more time with our team mates. Meets allow us to support each other in a way we are unable to in practice. I realized in several cases that not only do I share a passion for swimming with my team mates but life experiences ranging from kid stories, work stories, college experiences, etc. My team mates are cool interesting people and traveling to and from meets, hanging out in deck and supporting each other is so much fun. There goes that word again!

Personally I had a very successful Spring Nationals but none of my own swims rank as the highlight of my meet. Seeing our entire team supporting one of our team mates who entered her first meet and completed the 200fly and 400IM was really awesome. Somehow we all shared every stroke Martha made and everyone got something from Martha's achievement. USMS is a big supporter of inclusion and I really do believe that competing enables swimmers to compete as a team and masters meets should not just be enjoyed by the few but rather every masters swimmer deserves to share in the experience and fun associated with a meet.

I hope we have a great turn out at our meet but above all I hope everyone has fun.
  3. Week 144 - Tuesday

by , June 30th, 2015 at 02:48 PM (After a long rest)
    This past weekend I went to San Antonio with my family. I got up early on Saturday to swim with MOST at UT San Antonio but the pool was completely drained and I was unable to swim. We had a great family trip going to the Alamo on Friday afternoon and Sea World on Saturday before going to dinner with some friends. Unfortunately no sooner had we got home on Sunday and I had to pack for a business trip to Atlanta. Yesterday I had a 6am flight and all day meetings in Atlanta which meant no swimming for 3 days. This is the longest I have been out of the pool in about a year and I felt it this morning. I had some good workouts last week but today I did not have a very good feel for the water and felt a little out of sorts. I swam at the Winchester school with GAJA masters who I have swum with several times on trips to Atlanta. A few people recognized me which is always nice. Today's workout was scy.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    10x50 catchup

Main sets
    8x75 done IM order, drill, underwater, swim on 1:10
    All done as descend 1-3,4-6
    (6x100 with snorkel on 1:30
    6x50 on :50 done as 25 free, 25 fly
    6x75 with snorkel on 1:10
    6x50 on :50 done as 25 free, 25 back
    6x50 with snorkel on :45
    6x50 on :50 done as 25 free, 25 breast)
    8x50 streamline kick with snorkel on 1min

Warm down
    200 easy

Nothing too special time wise today holding 1min to 1:03 pace on the free. I felt good on back and kick. At least something felt good today
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Week 143 - Friday

by , June 26th, 2015 at 03:01 PM (After a long rest)
    My family and I are driving down to San Antonio for a long weekend today so I was in a bit of a hurry getting to and from the pool. Despite feeling like I was on a time limit this morning I had a good workout yet again today. The pool was setup LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup

Main sets
    3x(200 free on 3mins, 100 streamline kick on 1:45, 2x50 DPS on 1min)
    16x25 on :45 done as 4x(25 afap vertical dolphin kick, 25 afap 5 breaststroke kicks on bottom of pool, 25 afap vertical dolphin kick, 25 afap 5 vertical streamlines pushing off bottom of the pool)
    3x(200 kick on 4mins, 100 kick on 1:40)

Warm down
    200 easy

I am finally feeling very comfortable swimming long course. Nothing blindingly fast but my stroke felt smooth and easy throughout. My shoulders are still a little sore but generally much better than last week so I think not using the kick owed for all the kick sets has helped. The last set today was with a board but everything else I did streamline. On the 200,100,50 set I held 2:17s on the 200s and ft quite comfortable, I then held 1:42s on the kick and then did active recovery on the 50s focused on DPS and went 30 strokes. On the 25s afap I was holding 15s as best as I could tell. The kick at the end was tough but I got into a pretty decent groove and I held 3:50s on the 200s and then went 1:35 on the 100s. The 100s hurt and the kick set felt like it lasted forever but I was pleased with the outcome today.

Hard to believe I only have about 3 weeks til I start my taper for summer nationals.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Week 143 - Thursday

by , June 25th, 2015 at 10:41 PM (After a long rest)
    I was really sore when I woke up this morning and was convinced I would not be able to do 6 rounds of abs today. Luckily one of my training partners was there and between the two of us we got going and helped motivate each other to get through the workout. I would not have done this workout on my own and in fact we almost talked each other into doing a 7th round.

Weights
    5x(vasa swim trainer done as 1:30 on the machine, :30 rest)
    2xshoulder bands and light weights focused on rotator cuff on left shoulder joint.
    6x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming LCM
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on :50
    8x50 open,close, easy, fast on 1mon with fins
    400 easy

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Week 143 - Wednesday

by , June 24th, 2015 at 01:33 PM (After a long rest)
    I had a great night of sleep and woke ahead of my alarm. I once again arrived early at the pool. There must have been a power cut during the night because the pool pump was off and the water level was down 6 inches. Tom soon fixed the issues and the pool quickly filled back up as we did the warmup and kick sets.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    6x100 kick on 2mins done as 2x100 streamline free kick with snorkel,2x100 back kick, 2x100 streamline free kick with snorkel
    16x50 on 1min at 200 race pace(target 30/31)
    200 easy
    12x50 free on 1:10 working on distance per stroke. Take best 4 and add up to see who does the least(golf style scoring).

Warm down
    200 perfect back
    100 free easy

I did the kick without a board. I find it much harder to hold a good kick time so there must be something about my body position when I use a board. I held 1:45-1:47s in the kick. On the 16x50s I once again struggled to hit a groove on the first few going :31 and the. :32 but finally got on pace on #3 and then held :30 highs on the rest of the set and went a :29 on the last 50. From #2-10 I felt great but had to really work the last 6 to stay on pace and was very pleased with the set. The distance per stroke was done as a group with lots of cheating by some of my teammates. I realized a little gullibly that I was asked my stroked count first and the. Everyone else would say 1 or 2 less strokes per length than me. The give away was one of our older ladies a few lanes over who is at least a foot shorter than me saying she did 22 strokes to my 23. I ended up working my underwaters and on the last 6 held 21/22 strokes per 50 which was pretty good. I started out at my normal 30 strokes. This was fun! A good workout and I am pleased with where I am right now.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Week 143 - Tuesday

by , June 23rd, 2015 at 09:59 AM (After a long rest)
    I had a massage last night and my shoulders loosened up pretty good. I woke up earlier than usual this morning and again got to the pool before 5am.

Weights
    2xshoulder bands and light weights focused on rotator cuff on left shoulder joint.
    6x(flutter kick with arms extended(like back kick), oblique v sits, leg lift, one leg knee to nose planks, 90/45/15 leg lifts done as :45 seconds of exercise, :15 seconds rest). And 1min rest between rounds

Swimming
    400 free with snorkel
    16x25 open,close, easy, fast on :40 with fins
    400 easy

I hurt on the last two rounds of the abs. Despite this I am thinking about adding another twist to the abs set to interrupt the pattern since I have read that the body gets used to doing sets and adapts. The set takes 36 minutes so I don't have much more time I can add, so I am thinking of mixing up the abs but following the same pattern.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Week 143 - Monday

by , June 23rd, 2015 at 09:54 AM (After a long rest)
    I woke up feeling pretty good this morning. Our pool was setup LCM.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    8x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    12 x 100 done with snorkel as 50 streamline kick, 50 free on 1:40
    8x200 pull on 2:40 odds build, evens fast
    100 easy
    12x50 with fins on 1min odds 25 underwater streamline free kick, 25 perfect stroke, evens 25 underwater back kick, 25 perfect back

Warm down
    200 easy

I swam great today. I was holding 1:30 on the kick/swim which was tougher than I thought it would be. Perhaps the streamline kick was not as easy as kick with a board. On the 200s I held 2:25s on the build and 2:20, 2:17, 2:15 on the fast 200s. I felt good on the last one in particular. On the 50s with fins I made 25m underwater on all of them and on a couple even went more like 30m underwater.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Frisco Ford Aquatics Long Course Meet

by , June 20th, 2015 at 04:38 PM (After a long rest)
    My daughter and I had meets today, so my wife and mother went with my daughter while I went on my own. My daughter had the tougher of the two meets with me entered in 50s and a 200IM while my daughter was entered in the 100,200 back, 100,200 fly and 100,200 breast. I arranged to meet a couple of my team mates and car pool together to frisco which is about a 40minute drive from rockwall.

The Frisco pool was similar to Mr Unruhs pool at Nitro in Austin where the outside windows roll up like a garage door which allows for a nice cross wind. The pool was a 6.5 ft deep Myrtha pool but the lanes were very narrow.

I did about a 1200m warmup and then swam fly,back,breast and free. There were very few entries and as such the events went very fast and almost as soon as I was done with the breast the 200IM was getting on the blocks and I chose to skip the IM. Despite this one no show I had a good day and was pleased with all my events going:

28.4 fly
    30.06 back
    33.98 breast
    25.8 free

Despite being very happy with all these swims I have a lot of room for improvement. In particular the fly I hit both lane lines with my arms. Off the start I hit my left hand pretty good and then clipped the lane line with my right hand towards the end of the 50. I felt like my back was a good swim and had a much better start than I had at nationals but was a little miffed I did not dip under 30. Considering I went 30.0 at worlds this is a great time for me and gives me a lot of hope to go well under 30 when rested and shaved. The breast was probably the biggest surprise. I had a really good start and felt really good through about 30m where I felt the guy in the next lane and tried picking up my tempo which caused me to loose my great pull and the last 20 felt quite rushed. I had a great start on the free and was clear of everyone else by 25. I felt like I lost a little focus on the second 25 and did not finish very well. This is the fastest I have been unrested as a masters swimmer. I also really enjoyed this one because I had a 19,21 and 31 year old in my heat and it's always nice to whoop up on the younger guys. My only regret is I could not do the 200IM but I will do it at another meet.
  10. Week 142 - Friday

by , June 20th, 2015 at 04:15 PM (After a long rest)
    I was beat again this morning. I bought my daughter a new MIO alpha indigo watch on EBay a few weeks ago($80 instead of $170). The watch is pretty awesome and has a water proof heart rate monitor and the indigo specifically is designed for peeps with small wrists. My daughter has been using it every day and itís a great tool for her to understand how much she is pushing on given sets. Her coach has started setting her targets not based on times but based on heart rate. This morning I asked if she would lend it to me to give it a try and it was pretty awesome. I discovered that my at rest pre practice heart rate was 44, which I was a little concerned at first but some of the medical folks in my training group assured me that it was a good thing and an indication that I was in great shape. I tried really hard today on multiple sets but again to my surprise struggled to get my heart rate above 170, with only one 170+ heart rate measurement, which occurred on the 8x100 set. I am not sure if I can borrow the watch in future but I may look at getting one myself!

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    12x50 kick on 1:05
    12x50 with snorkel done as odds - 25 doggy paddle, 25 afap, evens Ė 25 underwater, 25afap on 1:15
    8x100 free with snorkel on 1:25 done as 2 smooth, 2 fast
    12x50 kick on :55

Warm down
    200 easy

I was holding :45 on the first kick set
    On the doggy paddle 50ís I worked on the catch and then went for it on the 25 afap and my heart rate was 150ish. On the 8x100s Tom told me to hold sub 1:15s on the smooth and sub 1:10s. I held 1:09/10s throughout. The last kick set was tough and I was touch and go holding :53-55s. I found today very tiring and abs are still hurting from Tuesday and Thursdays workouts.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Week 142 - Thursday

by , June 18th, 2015 at 08:46 AM (After a long rest)
    I exchanged emails with my buddy Mr Unruh and I am jealous of him and his family traveling to Pan Ams in Columbia yesterday. I wish him and everyone else lots of luck and some fast swimming. Hopefully Steve will swim well and sets some times for the rest of us to chase this summer.

My melaise from yesterday continued this morning despite a long and good night of sleep. I was on my own in the weight room today and struggled. I tried focusing on form today. Not that I have been sloppy but rather I needed to focus on something other the pain to get through today.

Weights

Swimming
    400 free with snorkel
    12x50 open,close, easy, fast on 1 min with fins
    300 easy

I was VERY sore as I did the ab work today. My upper abs in particular were hurting but I somehow kept pressing and got through the abs. I felt pretty good on the band work and shoulder is feeling a little bit better. My left elbow was a little sore on the planks but nothing ice can't take care of.

On on the swim I felt sore again on the warmup but loosened up and really went for the 50s with fins today holding 30s on the open and close 50s and 26/27 on the fast 50. On the last round I had a solid 26 which I felt good about. Despite these being fast I felt like I was swimming them at 100 pace as opposed to 50 pace with something left in the tank.

I have a masters meet this weekend in Frisco, Tx(north Dallas) and my daughter has a meet in Rockwall(wife is on call for this one). My meet is a little different in that i will be swimming 50s of each stroke and a 200IM. This will be the first time I have swum breast in an individual race since I was about 11 years of age so it's likely I will set a life time best The masters meet event lineup is a little different with all the free events 50,100,200,400,800, 50s in fly,back, breast and a 200IM. I decided to mix it up for a couple of reasons; I wanted to swim 5 events but did not think some of the longer events would lend themselves to do this in a short meet. I will also be swimming the free events at Nationals and our meet in August so thought it would be fun to mix it up.

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Week 142 - Wednesday

by , June 17th, 2015 at 08:58 AM (After a long rest)
    Wow was I tired this morning both physically and mentally. I struggled from the moment alarm went off, having to haul myself out of bed.

I found todays workout really tough. Once again the pool was setup LCM

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup with snorkel on 1min

Main sets
    3x(100 kick on 1:45, 1min vertical kicking, 100 free fast on 2mins)
    100 easy
    4x(200 IM on 3:30, 150 free on 1:55, 100 IM on 1:30, 50 free on :35)
    100 easy
    8x50 free on 1min at 200 race pace(30/31)

Warm down
    200 easy

the first set in the main sets was a big wake up. Kick on 1:45 is fast and as it turned out was touch and go, coming in on 1:40/41 dumping the board and going straight into the kick. On the fast free I held 1:09s. This was probably the best I felt the whole workout and this was not that great. On the IM/Free set I was coming in on about 2:50-2:55 on the 2IM, 1:45-1:50 on the free, 1:25s on the 1IM, and :34/:35 on the fast 50. The first round felt awful and it just got worse. That said my times stayed pretty consistent throughout. I was wiped out at the end and was not expecting any race pace 50s. Tom asked if we could stick around to do 16x50s, which I could not do due to a meeting in Richardson. I struggled to get into the set and was holding :33 on the first two and then hit a little groove despite it hurting and dropping to :32s, before finally getting close to my desired pace on the last 4 where I held :31s.

Tom offered up extending our practice on m,w,f over the next month. The kids come in at 7am and our practice finishes at 6:30. We have 4 weeks or so until we taper for summer nationals and will likely take him up on the extra 30mins. I plan on spending some time on Friday with the go pro and taking a look at some underwater video. I think I am dropping my left elbow and pulling down instead of back when I am tired. It's my hope to work on some mechanics over the next month during practice. I think the elbow drop is also pinching my left shoulder which has been painful for a while now. I also want to work on my backstroke start and turn. Maybe a little more time focused on these will help.

Today was was the worst I have felt in a long long time. Yesterday my daughter shared a picture she had found of me before I lost the weight and i was really big. I looked like I had just finished a personal 18" pizza and a gallon of beer. I am using this as motivation to be smart but keep pushing in the pool. I am really looking forward to being healthy and swimming fast this summer.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Week 142 - Tuesday

by , June 16th, 2015 at 06:18 PM (After a long rest)
    Today was back to the crazy abs work. In a sick way I have been looking forward to getting back to it.

Weights

Swimming
    400 free with snorkel
    4x50 open,close, easy, fast on 1 min
    200 easy

I hurt really bad on the abs work especially the flutter kick. One of the guys I train with did 4 rounds today, which meant I did the last two rounds on my own and these quite honestly sucked.

The swim was a mess and I was like a wet noodle in the water but I felt better after the swim than before so I am glad I swam.

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Week 142 - Monday

by , June 15th, 2015 at 08:21 AM (After a long rest)
    My daughter swam in the bill Nixon invitational in lewisville, tx this weekend. This 4 day meet is a great meet and is generally very fast. My daughter is in the lower end of the 11-12 age group and did great. She got her first AA time in the 200m back which she was very proud of. It's a hard leap from being AA and AAA times in 10 and under to struggling to make A times in the 11-12 but she is having fun and still enjoying her swimming which is all that matters. Each meet at this age brings its own challenges but she is doing great. I took Friday off work and hung out in lewisville all weekend. I was pooped when I got home yesterday afternoon and can only imagine how tired my daughter was.

Despite having a good good night of sleep I was still tired when I woke this morning and like the past few days my throat was raw. On Friday before heading to the meet I went and got a strep test which was negative and the doctor thought I had a cold; it does not mean my throat does not hurt though!

The pool was setup LCM today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    400 pull breathing every 5 on 5:20
    400 pull build on 5:20
    400 pull breathing every 7 on 5:20
    400 pull fast on 5:20
    200 easy
    400 kick on 7mins(1:45 base)
    200 kick on 3:30(1:45 base)
    100 kick on 1:45
    50 kick on :50
    50 kick easy
    12x50 free, odds on :50 stroke counting, evens on :40 with same stroke count
    4x50 done as fly, back, back, fly on :50

Warm down
    200 easy

i felt pretty hideous on the warm up; like I had been out of the water for a week, instead of just Saturday and Sunday. I felt better on the rest of the workout but not brilliant. On the pull set I went 4:50, 4:45,4:40, 4:34. I felt good on the last 400 in particular. The kick was rough being touch and turn the whole way. The 50s free I was going 31 strokes per length and holding 33s. I held a pretty consistent stroke count throughout. The 4x50s were supposed to be fly but I switched it up due to some soreness in my shoulder.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Week 141 - Friday

by , June 12th, 2015 at 04:57 PM (After a long rest)
    Again I did not get back from my travels until late and I was not feeling so hot when I got home. Throughout the day yesterday my throat got more and more sore. I got about 5 hours of sleep before getting up and going to the pool. I could have done with an extra 3 hours.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel

Main sets
    12x50 kick on :55
    4x(200 free fast in 3mins, 100 kick fast on 2mins, 50 back fast on 1min) 1min between rounds
    200 easy
    3x(6x25 on :35, open, close, easy, fast, underwater, stroke)

Warm down
    200 easy

Despite being tired and my throat being sore I had an incredible workout today. I was holding :40s on the kick set and then went 1:56,1:19,:30 on round 1, 1:55,1:19,:30 on round 2, 1:55,1:18,:30 on round 3 and 1:54,1:18,:28/:29 on the last round. I felt pretty hideous on the 200s but when I saw my time on the first round I knew I was going to have a killer set. Very happy with this set! On the 25 set I felt fast and really good.

A really great week of training and now I have a day off to go and watch my daughter swim at the Bill Nixon meet. Life is good!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Week 141 - Thursday

by , June 11th, 2015 at 05:47 PM (After a long rest)
    This morning I joined own and swam at Burlingame masters. The pool was setup scy. I was very tired this morning after a long week but I had a good practice. It always helps having Patrick pushing you.

Warm up
    400 swim
    300 pull
    100 kick

Main sets
    2x300 free with snorkel on 3:30
    50 easy
    3x200 pull on 2:20
    50 easy
    4x100 with paddles on 1:05
    50 easy
    6x50 swim with snorkel on :35
    50 easy

Warm down
    1x(2x100 kick on 1:25, 2x200 pull, 300 swim)

There were a lot of people in the lanes compared to what I am used to. The faster guys set the pace which helped thin out the lanes. 1:10 pace felt very easy today and even the 100s on 1:05 I was getting 5-7 seconds rest. Again Patrick hot on my heels and a fast younger swimmer in the next lane helped. I had to get out after an hour due to a meeting in downtown San Francisco so my warm down was really more main set and was two rounds but I did one and used it as a warm down. This was a short high tempo workout but it was a lot of fun. It has been a good training week and as usual I come back from California amazed at the facilities and how many fast masters swimmers there are at nearly every team I visit. It was great fun having dinner with Patrick and swimming with him at Burlingame this morning.

Updated June 11th, 2015 at 06:24 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Week 141 - Wednesday

by , June 11th, 2015 at 12:01 AM (After a long rest)
    Once again I swam with the Stanford masters this morning and like yesterday I had a great workout. I was pretty tired this morning primarily due to my crazy day yesterday in which I drove down to Stanford from the hotel at sfo airport and back, followed by a trip back down the 101 for a meeting in San Jose, and then drove 2.5 hours to Sacramento for 3 meetings, followed by another 2.5 hour drive back to the hotel at sfo. Crazy long day! I felt every mile of yesterday in my back this morning.

Todays workout was LCM once again.

Warm up
    700 free with snorkel
    200 free
    200 IM
    200 free
    200 IM

Main sets
    Kabata kick sets
    4mins done as 8x(20 seconds all out, 10 seconds easy)
    200 easy
    2mins done as 4x(20 seconds all out, 10 seconds easy)
    6x100 free on 1:25 done as 3 cruise, 2 medium, 1 fast
    100 easy
    8x(sprint to 20m flip and sprint 10m) on 1:10
    100 easy
    200 free with 10 seconds rest
    200 IM with 10 seconds rest
    200 free with 10 seconds rest
    200 IM with 10 seconds rest

Warm down
    200 easy

I worked the entire workout but especially the kick set and fast 30m swims.

This evening I met up and had dinner with pwb which was a lot of fun. We are going to meet up and swim with Burlingame masters in the morning. Should be a lot of fast fun!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Week 141 - Tuesday

by , June 10th, 2015 at 12:12 AM (After a long rest)
    I did not get to my hotel until 10pm pacific(midnight central) but did go to sleep really fast as a result of being over tired. My alarm went off at 4:30am and I hauled myself out of bed and drove down from SFO airport to Stanford to swim with the Stanford Masters. I have swum with this group a few times previously and they are awesome and in my mind one of the(if not the) best masters programs in the country. The facilities are incredible, the workouts are tough and it's a whose who of college, national and Olympic swimming over the past 50 years.

We swam LCM as I have every other time I have swum with Stanford.

Warm up
    500 free with snorkel

Main sets
    6x100 pull odds on 1:40, evens on 1:15
    50 fly on 50
    50 fly 50 back on 1:40
    50 fly 50 back 50 breast on 2:30
    50 fly 50 back 50 breast 50 free on 3:20
    50 free on :50
    50 free 50 breast on 1:40
    50 free 50 breast 50 back on 2:30
    50 free 50 breast 50 back 50 fly on 3:20
    100 easy
    6x100 pull odds on 1:30, evens on 1:20
    50 free on :50
    50 free 50 breast on 1:40
    50 free 50 breast 50 back on 2:30
    50 free 50 breast 50 back 50 fly on 3:20

Warm down
    100 easy

Today was IM day but as you can see we did a lot of aerobic pulling. After yesterday's aerobic threshold sets at home and today's fly and pull I was whooped and my shoulders were sore. I deliberately held back a little during the IM set but let go on the pull set. I was holding 1:10s on the easier 100s and 1:03-1:05s on the faster 100s. I am generally pretty quick but I feel slow swimming with Stanford and this is why I would go 30miles out of my way to swim with this group as I did this morning. Despite being sore and tired, swimming with so many great swimmers was awesome and I am looking forward to heading back tomorrow for round 2.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Week 141 - Monday

by , June 8th, 2015 at 01:50 PM (After a long rest)
    I went to bed at 6pm last night and slept solidly until 4:30am. I felt a little stiff from all the sleep but generally pretty good when I woke up this morning. The pool was setup LCM today.

Warm up
    400 free with snorkel
    6x50 catchup on 1min

Main sets
    6x100 kick on 2mins
    9x300 swim descending in groups of 3 on 3:45
    8x50 on 1:10 done as 25 streamline kick with snorkel, 25 overkick

Warm down
    200 easy

We only have about 5 weeks until we start our Summer Nationals taper and I made a personal commitment to double down on my training the next 5 weeks. I worked the kick set holding 1:40ís. On the 300ís I went 3:35, 3:32, 3:30, 3:36, 3:33, 3:31, 3:35, 3:32, 3:30. I worked this set as hard as I could and was hoping for a bigger descend but was not expecting to go out so fast, and as I got tired it became increasingly difficult to just hold these times. I was the only one holding these times with a couple of others going off 4mins and most going off 4:30. I recall doing a set like this last summer but this is about as fast a send off I have done on this set LCM. My lats are very sore as I write this up. On the overkick we were asked to hold 8 beat kick for the entire 50 and I was whooped. The aerobic threshold set was really tough and I suspect I will feel it for a few days.

I am off to California tonight and donít get into San Jose until 9pm pacific. I am planning on swimming with Stanford masters tomorrow and Wednesday and then swimming with pwb at Burlingam Masters on Thursday. Should be a great week of training.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Week 140 - Saturday

by , June 7th, 2015 at 03:31 PM (After a long rest)
    I don't know how I would describe today's workout. Quite a few of us were pretty broken down fter 2 straight weeks of practice with no day off. This was not a recovery workout but Tom decided to do today's main set as a competition between lanes 1-4 and 5-8. The pool was setup LCM.

Warm up
    4x200 alternating 50 free, 50 stroke

Main sets
    8x50 kick on 1:10
    Pick a stroke 100s on 2mins
    200 easy
    4x50 free from a dive on 1:30

Warm down
    400 easy

Tom gave different points for different strokes and he gave a point if you made your goal time on the stroke. The points were:

1-Free
    2-Back
    3-Kick
    4-Breast
    5-Fly

We did 13 rounds of which I did 12 free and 1 fly. I wore paddles and no pull bout and my goal time was 1:03. I held mainly 1:02s with a couple 1:03s toward the end. On the fly I put fine on and went 1:04. I don't seem to be able to swim fly easy and have one pace. It's sort of a plod but I made it. On the 50s from the block I went free and was 27,28,28,29. I was disappointed with the last one but I was really tired.

I had to miss yoga because we were hosting a masters pool party at our house. We have had a lot of outdoor projects we have been attempting to do this spring which have been significantly impacted by all the rain we had. One of the outdoor projects involved building two big flower beds and moving 12 yards of bedding mix. My wife had moved a few yards in the week and I had to move the rest before the party. Last weekend we worried the party would be rained out and as it turned out it was blue sky and 95F. This made moving the dirt pretty hard work and back is still hurting from all the shoveling. I got it done and the party was a lot of fun. We had a great turn out and people seemed to have a fun time. I really enjoyed the fact that all the masters swimmers brought there kids and it was a great team/family experience.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast