View RSS Feed

Planning

Goals, Periodization, Lessons Learned

1. Sunday, Dec. 30

by , December 31st, 2012 at 10:14 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ
    5 x 50 torque drill w/agility paddles @ 1:30
    50 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 25 burst dolphin kick + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

8 x 25 burst fast hands drills + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

4 x (5 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:30
    1 = EZ kick
    2 = @ 100 pace
    3 = EZ kick
    4 = AFAP
    5 = EZ kick
    R1 = fly (25/23), R2 = breast (29/27high), R3 = free (24/23 missed turn), R4 = flutter kick w/board (27 flat/25)
    100 EZ

12 x 25 swim w/parachute @ 1:00
    -- 4 free, 4 back, 4 breast
    150 EZ

Total: 3350

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I slept in and opted not to go the team New Year practice. I'm a little leary of the distance; I recall my shoulder was sore for 6 weeks after one of those practices two years ago. In any event, this practice seemed quite hard. I was bushed the rest of the day -- probably because it's the first time I've used a parachute since November before taper. Parachutes are very fatiguing.

My meet plan for 2013:

Jan. 20: MD series meet in Annapolis
    Feb: ?? Possibly I'll go to a SCM meet at Spire with Jimby or have an off month
    Early March: Warrenton meet. It's not on the PV schedule yet, but I'm hoping they have it again.
    March 16: Albatross SCM meet
    April 20-21: Colonies Zones at GMU
    May 10-12: Nationals in Indy
    Summer: ?? I may try to attend Colonies Zones LCM in Richmond in late June. The meet is on the calendar, but it doesn't specify a pool. I don't plan on much meet wise this summer as we'll be moving. I still plan to swim all the PV meets after the move.
    Oct. 26: Sprint Classic
    Nov.: Reston Relay/Sprint Carnival
    Dec.: NE SCM Champs

We are going away for Spring Break for 9 days at the end of March (23-31). It looks like I could be out of the pool the entire time. Not ideal for Nationals prep, but a great happiness jaunt. I may taper for my March meets and then try to reboot in April and swim through CZ.

Happy happy new year!

Updated December 31st, 2012 at 10:19 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  2. It's a Wrap for January, Jan. 31

by , January 31st, 2011 at 07:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just did a Rich A. slow mo recovery swim with fins:

700 various

10 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = backstroke
    evens = backstroke kick

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = breast
    evens = free

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2200 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I may have gone a wee bit crazy with drylands yesterday. Oddly, I thought it was a leg dominant workout, but my shoulders and back are much more sore (despite getting a mini massage from Mr. Fort). I guess med ball slamming and handstanding is a better upper body workout that what I've been doing in the gym? Anyhoo, I thought it best just to do a Rich A. slow mo type recovery workout to help flush lactic acid. We are expecting a wintery mix tonight. I just hope this doesn't foil my plans to HTFU and get in a sprint workout tomorrow.

Monthly FLOG Totals:

Swimming, 20x
    31.68 miles/55,764 yards
    17,525 yards kicking (31%)
    4,525 yard race pace(8%)*

Weights, 8x
    Cycling, 1x
    Yoga, 10x

Total workouts = 39

* I define race pace to be between 90-100%, which would be my 50 or 100 pace. So these are all close to all out efforts.

This was a very solid month of training for me. I swam 4-5 times per week, which is my max, of fairly low yardage. If I swim more than that, I am not mentally sharp enough for AFAP efforts and some burnout sets in. I did many doubles (12) and took 1 day off each week. That's definitely the most yoga I've done in a month. 8x isn't too bad for drylands since I intentionally took one week off.

One more month of hard training, and then I plan to taper in March.

Upcoming Spring Meets/Tentative Events:

Warrenton Meet SCY, 3/6
    (cruising in late for some speed work off the blocks)
    100 breast (50 split)
    100 IM

Albatross Meet SCM, 3/19
    50 back
    100 back
    200 back (if needed)
    50 fly

Colonies Zones SCY, 4/16
    100 free (50 split)
    100 back
    50 fly
    2 chick relays

Canadian Nats SCM, 5/20-22
    possibility, still waiting for meet info
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  3. Monday, Jan. 3

by , January 3rd, 2011 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

HS single leg extension, 30 x 2 x 8, each leg
    total ab machine, 130 x 2 x 15
    lower back machine, 140 x 2 x 15
    squat swing w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    flutter kicks on bosu, 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    russian twists w/plate on incline bench, 25 x 2 x 25
    bicep curls, 40 x 2 x 8
    extreme angle isometric squat, 3:00
    (this bothered my shins, which are feeling kind of shin splinty after all that kicking with fins yesterday)

RC work, 15 minutes

Stretching, 20 minutes

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only had an hour to swim. Did the exact opposite of yesterday.

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic Kick with long MF:

16 x 25 shooters
    4 belly, 4 back, 4 right side, 4 left side

50 EZ

4 x broken 100 shooter
    5 seconds rest at each 25, all UW

50 EZ

Speed Work:

ATP-CP Set:
    10 x 25 free w/15 meter burst @ :45

-- Forgot what the RA recommended interval was for this set. They were supposed to be on 1:00, not :45. I was wondering, as it seemed too little rest given the effort level. Felt sort of out of sync on these.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins AFAP (went 25)

-- This time reflects the fact that I haven't done any speed work for 3 weeks.

200 EZ

Total: 2200/1000 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My left shoulder was a bit twinge-y, most likely from paddle use yesterday. I used the red strokemakers instead of the green ones. Probably better advised to stick with the smaller green ones. (Though I think they've disappeared in Mini Fort's equipment bag.) So I didn't do any push/pulls at the gym today and stuck with mostly core & leg work.

New Year's Resolutions:

I don't usually make these, as I'm pretty self motivated. But I think I can improve in 2 areas: go to sleep earlier and less SB/chard/pinot. I kicked this off by falling asleep at 11:30 pm last night, fairly early for me. I'm usually asleep at 12:30-1:00. I'll attempt a complete alcohol ban for awhile. I believe Speedo is doing this too until Zones? I see the benefits as improved sleep, minor weight loss, less dehydration (and hence possibly less cramping) and better absorption of vitamins.

Tentative 2011 Meets:

Very tentative revised plan, which has me at 9 meets, but 3-4 are multi-day. This is pushing it on the family front somewhat, and I doubt I'll make them all. I've never done this many travel meets before. But this gives me plenty to mull over, and I can adjust and subtract as needed. So far, there are no conflicts with Mr. Fort's running events through the marathon.

March 6, Warrenton Meet SCY
    -- cruise in late to swim a couple events.

March 19, Albatross Open SCM
    -- Probably rest 10 days or depending on how I feel. I suspect I'll need a major rest from training at this point.

April 16, Colonies Zones SCY
    -- I'll only compete on Saturday b/c I have to leave that afternoon for Boston for the marathon.

May 20-23, Canadian Nationals SCM (Montreal)
    -- Very tentative. Have to run this by Mr. Fort. This meet appeals to me b/c of location and b/c it's SCM. Need to get a link to the order of events. If I go, I'd do a full taper.

June 18-June 31, Cruise in Europe
    -- This throws a real wrench in LCM Nats in early August. I can see being forced to do something in the small ship pool, while hammering the drylands and cycle.

August 4-6, LCM Nats at Auburn
    -- I won't be in ideal shape for 100s with the timing of my vacation, but hopefully my speed won't disappear.

Late August, Colonies Zones, LCM, U of Md
    -- Assuming we have CZ at U of Md again this year, this would be better timing for a taper meet than Auburn. The only downside is that this meet is smaller and hence less rest. Other possible complications are a week at the beach and taking Fort Son to college.

September, Savageman Triathlon
    -- This year, I won't train for this event at all beyond doing 4 x 500 free one day or so. I will just hop in and go, hopefully without asthma problems this time. I have informed the two relay zealots of this fact.

October 15-16, Rowdy Gaines Classic SCM
    -- Probably won't go to this if I go to Canadian Nats. But I have already run this meet by Mr. Fort. Or I could do this meet in lieu of a December meet.

October 30, Sprint Classic, GMU, SCY

Mid-December, NE Champs or CZ Champs or local Last Minute Meet, SCM

Updated January 10th, 2011 at 10:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  4. Tuesday, Nov. 9

by , November 9th, 2010 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes

Yowsa, it was really hot in there today. The temperature seems to vary by instructor. I prefer it closer to 105 than 110. My face was extremely red at the end. And, although I was planning on venturing to the gym tonight, I'm too zonked. The stretch felt good though, as I was/am still sore from weights. Tomorrow, I have a swim-ART-and PM gym with Mini planned. Thursday, I have a PRP appt for my foot. I'm dreading it b/c it was so painful last time. I may ask them to put a lidocaine patch on my foot before the procedure.

Meets:

Just booked my flight to Boston for $134. Pretty decent price; deals on JetBlue and AirTran end today. And, after booking it, I just saw that we are having a SCM meet in PV: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=17792"]PV/DCRP Last Chance SCM meet (Dec 4, 2010) - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. Oh well, too late, but it is just a Sat am only meet. Maybe I'll just swim one event there depending on the line up. This has Speedo's name on it!

Looking ahead, I've also discussed logistics for the Boston Marathon, which is the Monday following CZ SCY Champs in April next year. We're going to leave Saturday after the meet, so I'll be able to get a few events in and see the folks staying at the abode. Maybe I'll swim a distance event Friday night ... with a Chowmi type split request of course.

So, meets for the year are stacking up like this so far:

December 11-12: NE/CZ Champs SCM, Boston
    March 19: Albatross Open SCM, MD
    April 15-16: CZ SCY Champs, VA (taper)
    August 4-6: LCM Nats at Auburn (taper)

I need to find a meet between April and August; it may have to be a USAS LC meet if there is nothing else local (don't want to swim in the outdoor hairball pool). The meet in December will be my final meet in meters in my current age group. Moving on!

Updated November 9th, 2010 at 09:44 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , Planning
  5. Changing Course, April 12

by , April 12th, 2010 at 10:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo/SCY:

Just did an easy recovery workout today, as planned after the weekend's hard workouts.

Warm up:

700 various

Main Set:

8 x (3 x 50) @ 1:15

#1 = 25 (brain fart -- can't remember what I did here) + 25 front scull

#2 =
    odds = chest press fly
    evens = russian breast drill

#3 =
    odds = 25 shooter on right side + 25 scull on back
    evens = 25 shooter on left side + 25 caterpillar fly drill

100 EZ

Total: 2000

Commentary:

Tapering Now:

I am changing course. I have been mulling over my plans for tapering for Zones/Nats. Previously, I had very grudgingly thought that I would just rest 3-5 days for Zones and "train through" the meet. This conventional approach has not sat well with me -- I usually rest to some degree for every meet and I have never trained through a major meet. The very concept of "training through" is foreign. And I am neither a middle distance swimmer nor an age grouper, the type that could easily train through a meet. I am an idiosyncratic drop dead sprinter who trains pretty intensely (especially drylands), more intensely than most of my ilk I would hazard to guess. And, at the moment, I'm pretty tired and sore from training.

With this miasma floating through my extra hyper brain, I consulted a coach I trust. The paraphrased advice: "Rest all I want for Zones! And keep resting for Nats. Don't do weights right before Zones. Train and rest like a sprinter. You won't get out of shape. Why race with tired arms and legs?!" I am going to take this advice and embark on my 5 and 1/2 week "taper." I will focus on speed, racing, stretching and resting. I've done quite a bit of strength and hard speed work lately now it's time to put it to fruition.

Week by week plan:

First 3 week segment:

4/12: continue speed work (2 workouts w/Speedo this week on Tues & Thurs), drop drylands, do hot yoga on Sunday

4/19: do a little speed work and rest, no drylands, sleep a lot (Zones on 4/24-4/25)

Note: I only consider this a semi-rest for Zones, not a taper. For me, a real taper involves at least 3 weeks b/c resting the ravaged legs is such a time consuming endeavor. As such, I don't expect to do any PBs at Zones. Except maybe in the 100 evil. I can't let Stud get to cocky.

4/26: 1/2 week of easier aerobic work, upping the yardage, but keeping heart rate low (done with all hard aerobic work after all), 1/2 week of speed, dryland + weights

Next 3 week segment to prep for Nats:

I am basically going to follow the taper I did for NE Champs, which seemed to work well. I need to print it out.

5/3: easy aerobic/recovery work, speed work, upper body weights, yoga, core, no leg work

5/10: reduce speed work somewhat (lots of fat 25s) and reduce yardage, lots of easy swimming and drilling. sleep a lot, no drylands except very light yoga and strtetching

5/17: meet warm up every day.* sleep a lot

This is a Wally Dick's tip. I sometimes do more than a meet warm up. I'm going to try not to. Wally does very long 4-5 week tapers as well.

Mike Bottom on Sprinters:

This plan seems to jive pretty well with Mike Bottoms thoughts on tapering sprinters.

http://www.active.com/swimming/Artic...ers.htm?page=2.

I think I hit most traits of swimmers who need more rest -- except I'm not a hairy beast like Wookie and Stud.

Those are:

personality: hyper, high strung, energetic
    old
    old & train hard
    good base of intense training
    muscle mass
    low body fat
    stress in life

In reality, I've done this sort of taper before. I must have done it with Zones & Austin in 2008 b/c I recall resting for Zones. And I did a version of this this summer when I rested 10 days for the aborted LZR blow out meet in late June and then rested 3 weeks for Nats. It seems the more intensely I train, the more rest my darn legs need. And, sheesh, I'm only doing a few more yards than Jazz Hands at Nats!

Because I dislike tapering and enjoy training, I am consoling myself with the fact that I am going to take most of the summer to play and train however I want and not worry about meets unduly. I might do only one LC meet, if I'm in town for it.

In that regard, I am also going to wait on starting TRX training until after Nats. And I won't be sprinting with paddles. Basic Ande 101: don't do new or stupid stuff before your big meet.

Whew, glad I got all that off my chest ... And now I can stress about the really important stuff -- like what to concoct for my daughter to wear as Artemis for Ancient Civilization Day and how I can be in two places at once several times this week and keeping my red tresses red to match my suit.

Updated April 12th, 2010 at 10:39 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  6. Lacking Ferocity, April 7

by , April 7th, 2010 at 09:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Lacking ferocity:

I woke up today feeling battered and bruised (mentally and physically) and somewhat enervated. Perhaps Jimi disease is catching? Or, as a friend cleverly suggested, it's a "pouting hangover." I feel like the deep tissue massage really did me in this time. With 10 zillion things to do (spring is my busiest time of the year with the girls each adding a sport), I decided to take a mental health day, get stuff done, engage in some retail therapy and not fret over swim training. I was quite cheery until I almost died in a car crash. Literally. Driving with my 15.5 year old (new permit) absolutely terrorizes me. That transition period where they gain experience and judgement is super ugly.

I'm hopeful this short mental break will rejuvenate me. If not, I will go full force into exercising my ass off, which often works. And, happily, my TRX system arrived in the mail late today along with a Rodney Yee "cross train core" DVD that a friend sent me. So now I have to figure out how to use TRX.

Here's my plan for the rest of the week:

Thursday: dryland + aerobic swim (probably either Speedo's workout from today or Elise's 3 x (8 x 50) set*

Friday: yoga + sprint swim

Saturday: drylands (maybe TRX)

Sunday: swim @ GMU + bikram yoga

* I was hoping to sneak off to a Thursday night practice hoping for a repeat of the stroke workout Speedo did this am. But, no, I am advised this is the first travel volleyball game of the season.

Zones:

In addition, I have revised my Zones entries to compensate for the lost meet. They are:

Saturday:

100 free (for 50 split)
    200 mixed medley relay (probably 50 back)
    50 evil
    100 fly
    women's 400 medley relay (100 fly)
    women's 200 free relay

(I'm told there are breaks before and during the relays on the women's side this year. I really hope so. Last year, I had one heat between the two relays and practically fell off the blocks in exhaustion leading off the free relay.)

Sunday:

100 IM
    skipping mixed 200 free relay (sorry Speedo)
    100 evil
    100 back
    50 free (may scratch this depending on how Saturday's 50 free goes.)
    women's 200 free relay

Is this enough events for you, Geekity? I'm hoping it's not too ambitious a schedule. Since I am planning a lot of 100s (for me) this meet, I will endeavor to keep my aerobic work up somewhat while still focusing on speed. I am already planning a massage for the following Monday to aid recovery.

And (cue protests from Patrick and Chris), I am engaging in dirty rotten sandbagging in the 100 evil with an NT to get more rest before the 100 back on Sunday. I really want to get another 100 evil in since I've been doing so much of it in practice.

Chard!!!
    Zones!!!
    Nats!!!

Updated April 7th, 2010 at 09:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Planning
  7. Yoga + Entries, April 1

by , April 1st, 2010 at 07:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    P90X Yoga, 75 minutes

Did about 75 minutes of the 90 minute tape. My legs were burning on some of the warrior postures with all those lunges ... This time I tried going from Warrior 3 (see link yesterday) to The Ankle Pose. This consists of standing on one leg, head on knee, hands around ankles, with the other leg straight back at a 90 degree angle. Not easy!

I was too tired after yesterday's double to do anything else and I'm driving home tonight. I have a swim planned for tomorrow.

Entries:

I finally did my online entries for Colonies Zones and SCY Nats.

Zones:

Sat:

50 evil
    100 fly
    3 relays

Sun:

100 IM
    100 back
    50 free
    2 relays

Hoping to be on the mixed 200 relays with Speedo! And we're going to try to defend our AA in our chicks' 400 medley relay. I'm hoping to get a 50 back split leading off a mixed 200 medley relay. I decided to pass on the 100 free on Sat and the 50 fly on Sunday (swimming 50 fly on April 10 anyway). 10 events over two days is plenty. I'll be scheduling a massage right after!

Nationals:

50 breast
    50 back
    50 fly
    100 back
    100 fly
    100 IM*
    200 mixed medley relay
    200 mixed free relay

*6th event

I entereed in season times for Zones and all PBs for Nats. So no accusations of sandbagging please! This time I also signed up for the Gold Medal Sponsor so I can eat all the bananas I want!

And newsflash! According to some trashy rag, I see I'm expecting twins. lol When hell freezes over!

Updated April 1st, 2010 at 07:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , Planning
  8. Back to the Gym, Thurs., Dec. 17

by , December 17th, 2009 at 06:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Was tempted to run again today, but the ungodly cold weather is dissuading me. So I went to the gym mid afternoon. I hate re-starting weights/drylands after a long taper ... You're always so sore at first ... But they're worth it; I always feel more alive and fit after drylands.

I warmed up with a 1 mile jog on the treadmill. I would have done more, but I didn't have my running shoes on, and I'm extremely paranoid about running in old shoes.

Drylands:

rack chins, 2 x 15
    lying overhead tricep press, 30 x 2 x 25
    overhead squats w/45 lb bar, 45 x 2 x 15
    squat swings w/15 lb weight, 3 x 15
    P90X X press squats w/12.5 lb DBs, 2 x 25
    seated narrow grip row, 80 x 2 x 10, done very slowly
    dumbbell shrugs, 20 x 2 x 20
    bent over rear delt fly, 12.5 DBs x 2 x 15
    hip hinges w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 15

windshield wipers, 2 x 25
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    twisting med ball slam, 2 x 15
    push ups, 3 x 15
    superman bananas, 2 x 25
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    hanging straight leg circles, 2 x 10, one set each direction (these are hard)
    broomstick twists, 1 x 25

external and internal rotators, 10 x 2 x 15, each arm
    prone scapular scrunches, 2 x 25
    seated straight arm dips, 60 x 2 x 25

10-15 minutes of stretching

Commentary & Dryland Planning:

I'm trying to settle on a dryland program for the next few months. I'd like to focus on strength and athleticism, not just strength (or "gorilla" strength -- but you go Elise!), which has been my principle focus the last year and half.

My tentative plan is to:

1. Continue my core work.

2. Continue some weights, but not with a focus on max or heavy weight (need a break).

3. Possibly keep just a couple of exercises where I do focus on max strength 1x week. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward keeping the deadlift.

4. Continue plyometrics. I've really enjoyed addings these the last couple months and think they help my starts and walls. I'd like to do: (a) the intense plyos at the gym, (b) some endurance based plyos such as on the P90X videos, and (c) tabata interval plyos.

5. Think about doing the couple heavier lifting exercises very slowly. Had a convo with a friend who swears he was the strongest ever when he did this. And the slower lifting would be a nice contrast to #6 below.

6. Add some tabata based dryland training. I think I'll have to ease back in for awhile before I begin this. But it sounds appealing to me and likely beneficial for sprinting. For those who think sprinters are wimpy, this has been described as: "the fastest route to the pain cave known to man." I think one could do tabata intervals with with following drylands: ball slams, squat thrusts, thrusters, pushups, burpees, box jumps, lunges, squat jacks or these: http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining#module11685119. So this is sort of drylands on steroids. It's somewhat similar to the CF "5 rounds for time" concept, except this is more anaerobic.

Here are some links re: tabata training:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcnqPHcWeI"]YouTube- Faster Swimming dryland routine called Tabata[/ame]
    (I like the exercise selected for the swim video demo.)

http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining

http://crmstelemark.blogspot.com/200...pain-cave.html

http://www.wellsphere.com/wellpage/i...ining-workouts

Exercise Question:

Can this one possibly be OK for the shoulder? The touted benefits sound impressive.

http://www.crossfitportland.com/archives/162

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUG8W10bu9M"]YouTube- 135Lb windmill for reps[/ame]

Breaststroke Links:
    (for future reference and to actually read)

http://www.breaststroke.info/grotebreast.htm

http://breastroker.tripod.com/Santos.htm

http://www.breaststroke.info/Maximiz...eaststroke.htm

http://www.breaststroke.info/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le-KEtY4WhM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- phelps---breaststroke[/ame]

Updated December 18th, 2009 at 09:06 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning
  9. 50 back vid from NE Champs

by , December 15th, 2009 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    50 back, 31.14

Stud took this 50 back vid with my mini digital. I wish I had had some other races taped, but just forgot in the excitement of the meet on day 2.

I was in lane 5, flanked by 25 and 29 year old Elizabeth Mancuso and Jessica Knight. I knew their seed times were inaccurate, as they went 31+ last year. So I knew the race would be close and it was. And they both had very good underwaters as well. I notice that they both had somewhat splashier backstroke kicks than me. Mike Ross and I briefly discussed this issue. He's working on keeping his bottom half very very still while swimming and keeping the amplitude of his flutter kick and knee bend minimal. I think I won just as much with my stroke as my SDK perhaps ...

I see from the video that I did the same breakout as the Sprint Classic where I pop my head out of the water ala Aquaman. This was a mental error. I simply forgot to lean back with my shoulders and head. I also tucked my chin too much on the start. Need to keep my head up and back a bit more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RQ7mbtjBo"]YouTube- Fort SCM 50 back[/ame]

My turnover looked slower to me than in August at Indy, but Q says this is OK.

Dara Surgery:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...l?tag=facebook

50 breast split:

Even though my 50 evil split is seemingly missing from the official MM (meet manager) results, it is still retrievable since it appeared on the scoreboard. My brilliant coach sent me the following email on how to retrieve splits from the Colorado timing system:

"But have no fear, if it showed up on the scoreboard I bet it's on the Colorado printout. The final times print out in easy to read columns but the splits don't.
    Every hit to the touchpad during the race is recorded sequentially so if you follow a line across and you know the event, heat and lane you swam in you can find the time that displayed when you touched the touchpad for the first time.

It looks like this 5) 2 25.25 3) 2 25.48 1) 2 25.50 5) 4 53.79 1) 4 54.91
    so for this heat lane 5 2nd length 50 split was a 25.25, and 100 split was a 53.79. Lane 3 50 split was a 25.48 etc.

Most meets print out the Colorado printouts during the meet and staple them to the results so it should be easy for the meet director to find. If they didn't print them out, they are still stored on the Colorado and can be printed out anytime."

I forwarded this to Ed Gendreau, the meet director. So hopefully, he will take the time to pull my split since I did submit an official request.

What's Next?

Ande always asks, "what's next?" And I'm not really sure. I'm going to revise my training for a couple months to do more aerobic /endurance work in the pool and gym and lots and lots of kicking (not that the latter is different). I'm going to use my MF more and really work on my belly SDKs. I'm much faster on my back than my belly, and would like to fix this discrepancy.

I am declining Patrick's probably tongue in cheek suggestion to remake myself into a mid distance geek. However, I may try to focus on the 100 back, 100 fly, 100 IM more this season than just pure 50s.

I'm completely up in the air about what meets to attend this year. I'd like to have a taper meet in SCY that is not Zones, since my team is hosting again this year. But I'm not sure about Atlanta. I have a yen to possibly go to Middlebury in June for the LCM meet, which would then make my summer worry free. However, attending travel meets in both May and June would not go over so well at home. For sure, I plan to swim at the Albatross meet on March 20.

As for the gym, can anyone suggest exercises to build up endurance in the lats and delts and terres muscles?

Exercise:

I may take another day off, as I'm tired and uber busy. Or, if I get all jazzed up, I may try the new P90X ab/core Plus DVD.

Fortina:

BTW, I forgot to mention that I wore Fortina for my 100 IM and 50 breast. Liked it, and will do so again! Though I suspect Fortina also contributed to me going out too fast in the 100 IM. My coach said my 100 IM and 100 back should be about the same, and my 100 IM was 2 seconds slower. Part of this must be mental -- I'm just not used to sucking it up and swimming through the pain on the last length of free.

Updated December 15th, 2009 at 10:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning
  10. Going to Boston, Tues. Oct. 20

by , October 20th, 2009 at 05:45 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Did some hypoxic work on my 5 day rest plan:

Warm up:

750 variety swim, kick, drill

Hypoxic Kick Work:

6 x 100 back w/fins @ 2:00, 10 kicks each 25
    (since I came up a couple yards before the flags, this was almost like 4 consecutive shooters)

100 EZ

Speed work:

4 x 50 dolphin kick w/fins
    50 = 25 cruiser hypoxic kick + 25 AFAP shooter

100 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)

150 EZ

Total: 2050

Massage:

Got a deep tissue massage today. Was totally mashed and feel rather beat up and tired. Probably take 2 days to recover. lol

Commentary:

A 5 day "rest" is approximately what I did before the Albatross meet in March. I looked back and saw that I was doing around 2000+ with only fast 25s, a few fast 50s, hypoxic work and easy speed fly. So hopefully, I won't have leaden legs by Sunday.

SCM Meet:

Booked flight to Boston today. Weighed the pros and cons overnight. Chose Boston b/c: 50 back isn't the first event, better order of events, I can swim the 100 back, longer meet so more rest, 10:00 am start, the MIA Stud may go, and it's slightly cheaper. This is my third travel meet of the year, which is rather unusual for me (Auburn, Indy, Boston), but I really wanted to swim SCM. I think I'll be passing on a major SCY travel meet next year as a result to avoid undue marital discord. Plus, I may go somewhere fun and cool on Spring Break instead of planning life around spring meets! I may have to be creative in finding a SCY meet to taper for in the spring. There's always Zones, of course, and I definitely will swim that meet. But it could arrive shortly after not swimming for a week if I go away for spring break.

Plan on swimming the following line up at NE Champs, reserving the right to scratch of course.

Saturday:

100 IM
    50 evil
    50 back
    50 free

Sunday:

50 fly
    100 back
    100 free
    (If I do 100 free, I may go for another 50 free split if my Saturday effort isn't the best.)

This is the exact same line up I swam at the NE Champs in 2007. I see they left 200 fly until almost the last event of the meet, but that still does not tempt me!

Jimby and I chatted about meets earlier today. He opined that it was perhaps merely "superstitious" that I would want actual rest between events to clear lactate and such. This is clearly mid-D speak!

Food:

Since I stopped blogging my food, I think I've gotten sloppier about eating. I still eat very healthy, but I think I've been eating more than I need to and too many slices of pie. I also had a conversation with She Puff the other day that caused me to wonder about calories from liquids. She mentioned she was dehydrated from the hot yoga. I suggested coconut water and she asked me how many calories it was. I didn't know. But I checked and it's 70. Between that, endurox, G2, and the smoothies I was addicted to all summer (and the chard), I may be swilling down too many drinkable calories. Have to ponder that.

I also may consider a 30 day ban on alcohol ala Q and Patrick before NE Champs. But this is rather extreme. lol

Updated October 20th, 2009 at 06:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning