View RSS Feed

Running

1. Tuesday, Nov. 18

by , November 18th, 2014 at 06:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    3 mile jog on treadmill
    drylands at home with TRX, DBs and power wheel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really should have driven to Pitt to swim today ... But I'm having one of those bouts of detesting my double drive back and forth to Pitt twice a day. Typically, with tunnel traffic and delays on the parkway, I'm in the car 2 1/2 hours just for that. Usually more with hauling Lil Fort around. It really wears on me, and makes me question swimming here in Pitt. I would be blissfully happy if there were a decent pool nearby, but that is not to be. Sometimes I have a hard time reconciling myself to the situation ...
  2. Bad News, Friday, Sept 5

by , September 6th, 2014 at 12:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Received not the greatest news at the doctor's today. I not only have tendonitis (which I knew), but also a rotator cuff tear and extreme degradation of the bicep tendon. It's a partial tear of the subscapularis, which is a rare rotator cuff tear (usually it's the infraspinatus or the supraspinatus). I have an appt on Tuesday with a surgeon/PRP expert, Dr. Bradley. I am hopeful that it is not surgical bc it's only a partial tear. I also have the name of the Pittsburgh Pirates doctor who is a shoulder expert. So I may get a second opinion. It just doesn't seem bad enough to warrant surgery to me. We'll see ... I also seem to have strained my left quad muscle, so I am going to skip the gym this weekend and head to the pool.

Discouraged by this news, I went on a 30 minute run instead of heading to the pool. Man, was it hot!

Here's an interesting article questioning Rushall's stance on drylands:
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...land-training/

Updated September 6th, 2014 at 12:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running
  3. Tues, June 10

by , June 10th, 2014 at 10:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Treadmill, jogged 4 miles

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been out of the water a couple days, and it looks like that dry spell will be extended to four days. Yesterday, we discovered that my daughter's passport expires on June 29 when we're supposed to be in Europe. Real imbeciles for not checking ... So the last two days have been consumed with gathering everything I needed for the emergency passport service. Not an easy task with Mr. Fort in Dallas. He had to overnight me some things. Tomorrow am, I've leaving for VA or a couple days to visit Teen Fort, who is coaching there this summer. But I'm booked solid and don't think I'll get a swim in before heading back. My aquatic fitness is not what I had hoped going into a vacation where I won't swim ... Oh well, plenty of time to get back in shape with no meet on the horizon.
    Categories
    Running
  4. Thursday, Feb. 6

by , February 6th, 2014 at 07:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Drylands @ LA Fitness

RC/scap ex
    hi low wood chop on cable machine, 27.5 x 3 x 15 each side
    flutter kicks on bosu, 100
    good mornings, 75 x 3 x 8
    seated row negatives, 70 x 3 x 8
    overhead squats, 45 x 1 x 8, 50 x 2 x 8
    deadlift, 65 x 1 x 6, 75 x 3 x 8
    kneeling crunch front and sides, 110 x 4 x 15
    explosive leg extensions, 90 x 3 x 12 (I never go full range of motion on these, just simulate my dolphin kick)

Foam rolling/stretching, 20 min

Treadmill, 50 min while watching The White Queen series. No encyclopedia necessary because I love medieval English history.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow is an off day and I am really looking forward to a massage!
  5. Jan. 25-27

by , January 27th, 2014 at 04:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Saturday Drylands @ LA Fitness:

RC/scap, 5 min
    core ex, 50 min
    HS hi row, 130 x 1 x 8,135 x 3 x 6
    extreme angle step ups w/bar, 30 x 3 x 10
    supine bench press w/25 lb DBs, 50 x 3 x 6
    overhead squats, 45 x 1 x 8, 50 x 2 x 8
    squat jumps w/bar, 45 x 1 x 8
    altitude drops, 8
    dead lift, 65 x 1 x 8, 70 x 2 x 8 -- I haven't done these since I tore my elbow lifting too much weight. I am hoping I can get the benefit of doing them without max weight
    good mornings, 761 x 1 x 8, 70 x 2 x 8
    cable twists w/yoga ball, 20 x 2 x 15 each side

stretching/yoga, 20 min

Sunday:

We got a ton of snow over the weekend and the roads were horrible on Sunday. Not even sure if the pool was open. I hopped on our new treadmill and did 5 miles, alternating walking and running every .5 mile. Then did 20 minutes of stretching and yoga.

Monday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Pitt

Warm up:

600 various
    100 scull
    2 x (4 x 25 with 20 UW @ :30 + 50 EZ @ 1:30)
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles
    50 EZ

4 x 25 burst SDK + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

at mid pool, 4 x 25 @ 1:00+
    :10 AFAP kick while sculling so you can't go anywhere, then blast off and sprint into wall maintaining same kick
    100 EZ

3 x through w/fins:
    1 x 100 AFAP, broken (R1 @ :10 rest, R2 @ :15 rest, R3 @ :30 interval)
    200 EZ
    1 x 100 AFAP kick
    200 EZ

R1: fly = 44, flutter kick w/board = 58
    R2: IM = 47 (not positive, clocks weren't synched), dolphin kick w/board = 58
    R3: breast = 52, dolphin kick w/board = 1:00
    -- my legs were just burning on the last 100

Total: 3400

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pretty beat after today's workout. Lots of lactic acid on the AFAP 100 kicks. Worse pain than the hour swim.
  6. Sunday, Oct. 7

by , October 7th, 2012 at 06:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab ex, 15 min
    leg abductor, 120 x 4 x 8
    super pullover, 120 x 3 x 15
    lower back machine, 110 x 1 x 35, 120 x 2 x 15
    pec fly, 85 x 3 x 12
    standing power wheel roll outs, 2 x 10
    -- My intercostal muscles still are slightly sore from doing these last Wed. Aside from being a fantastic core exercise, this exercise must be good for freestyle.
    russian twists w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    resisted track start jumps, 40 x 1 x 15
    altitude drops, 10

Treadmill, 3 miles

Stretching/Yoga/Foam Roller, 30 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No idea what prompted me to hop on the treadmill today, but this is dangerous behavior. I had to wrench myself off. Running is bad for swimming ... running is bad for swimming ... running is bad for swimming. It's amazing how, since I basically retired from running, my body has been completely transformed from skinny runner to buff swimmer. My skinny Lil Fort is taking up the mantel though, having done a 7 mile run with Mr. Fort this am. She also scored the winning soccer goal and swam 3 PRs at her swim meet this weekend. Sadly, though, swimming has been relegated to her third favorite sport, and this will be her last year in USA-S. I'm satisfied that all 3 of my kids are good swimmers though, and amply qualified to grow up and be triathletes who don't drown.

Back to the pool tomorrow!
  7. Attempted Run, Friday, Dec. 16

by , December 16th, 2011 at 05:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was overcome by the urge to run this am. I don't think I've been on a trail run in 2+ years. I went out for my old 5 mile loop. At about mile 3, I twisted my ankle. It wasn't a bad sprain, but it is swollen. My floppy ankles apparently don't like trails. But I don't like treadmills; part of the joy of running is to be outside. Fortunately, Fort Son was home and I called him to come pick me up. I was going to hope on the bike, but ran out of time. I'm now out the door to S&T a HS meet. Cheers!
    Categories
    Running
  8. Sat., Nov. 12

by , November 12th, 2011 at 05:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bike, 20 minutes

Drylands:

RC exercises
    HS hi row, 195 x 1 x 5, 190 x 4 x 5
    deadlift, 155 x 1 x 5, 165 x 4 x 5
    explosive leg press, 270 x 5 x 10
    power clean & press singles, 75 x 5
    hip abductor, 120 x 3 x 10
    HS bicep curls, 40 x 5 x 5

knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    standing broad jumps, 10
    squat jumps w/bar, 10
    bicycles, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50

Treadmill, 30 minutes

3 miles @ 10:00 pace
    -- my first "run" in maybe 2 years ...

Yoga/Stretching, 35 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woke up this am still not feeling great and I was PISSED! Slightly less pissed after soccer game. Slightly less pissed and feeling better at the gym. Even less pissed since I don't have to make dinner.
  9. Tues & Wed, Aug 3-4

by , August 4th, 2010 at 12:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Tuesday:

Did my usual "1.7" mile pier to pier swim followed by a pier to pier run. The water was extremely choppy yesterday. The swim felt almost like a weight workout. After that, I decided to give OW swims a break for a bit. (Of course, this morning the ocean is relatively calm.) At one point, I saw one of the lifeguards dash into the water to get some kids away from a rip tide.

Later in the day, went on a 3 mile walk with the 4 little kids to get ice cream and later attempted to surf with the 4 teenage girls in the house. Epic fail. Felt like a clod.

Wednesday:

Having resolved to skip an OW swim today, I ventured out for a pier to pier to pier run of 3.5129 miles. I wore my running shoes b/c it was not a super low tide. It was way too hot. If I had a brain in my head, I would've run barefoot and in my swimsuit so that I could have taken a dip half way through.

I may go the Y later today, if I feel like it. Mr. Fort and I are going to a tri store later today as well. I'm hoping they have suits. I just killed one of my speedo endurance suits after 2+ years. The elastic just gave out. Mr. Fort has become a complete bike addict. Yesterday, he went 75 miles up to speeds of 28 mph, getting used to his new aero bars. Today, he was doing intervals.

Off to make a smoothie ...

Edit: Didn't make it to the Y; didn't feel like it. Did a short swim in the ocean instead. It was quite rough this afternoon. Tried swimming against the current for the heck of it. No thanks.

Updated August 4th, 2010 at 05:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38815_420096306434_603946434_4519249_4457448_n.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	6460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40689_419969646434_603946434_4516274_6169668_n.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	6461  
  10. Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1

by , August 1st, 2010 at 05:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to the beach after a hectic day yesterday. It's rather cloudy today, but no matter -- the salt water, the sand, the ocean air ... aaaahhhh.

I did my favorite ocean workout -- swimming from pier to pier and then running back on the beach. Pier to pier is 1.7 miles, and I definitely went more than that as the waves were choppy, the current was strong and, well, I can't swim straight. I used my gold metallic B70 OW goggles, which I love. I swam about 2/3 free and 1/3 breast. I like doing breast in the ocean because I can see where I'm going! To my dismay, Mr. Fort took my MF out of the car (which did only have a dead battery) when he was packing up, so I can't play with it in the ocean.

And I'm done with SL swimming! Our Divisional Champs were yesterday. Mini Fort did surprisingly well. She's been on the Jazz Hands program (swim 1x a week and hit the gym 2-3x per week). She dropped 1.5 seconds off her 50 fly time. More anecdotal proof that actual swim workouts are not necessarily needed for 50 sprints.

NYT Article on Amanda Beard:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/sp...20Beard&st=cse

Was checking on the B2B website. It mentions that swim booties and neoprene caps are allowed. What on earth are "swim booties"?

Updated August 1st, 2010 at 07:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  11. Masters PR Ends

by , June 7th, 2010 at 03:52 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run + Bike:

The viral malaise, which still lingers, caused me to set a masters sloth PR for most consecutive days with no exercise. I would probably have pushed it sooner, but I decided to stick with my 2 weeks of prescribed recovery. It helped that I was ridiculously busy last weekend, attending among other things Speedo's 80s themed 40th birthday party! Definitely had some blog withdrawal!

Because the temps fell below 90, I decided it was time for the "post meet run." This used to be a tradition, but I consulted my FB Run Logger and I see that I haven't run since Jan. 23. Egads! In any event, I muddled through my usual 5 mile loop with some walking during water breaks and on an up. Then I came home and hit the indoor bike for 30 minutes. I plan on venturing to the pool tomorrow for some pre-vacation swimming. Note: I am definitely in need of new running shoes, as my shoes have been battered by my gym workouts.

Meet/OW Schedule:

I was muddling over my tentative meet schedule for the next year or so. Coach Cheryl told me that Zones was going to be earlier this year, so I'm worried it will conflict with the Boston Marathon on April 18. If so, I will either need another taper meet or bag tapering for SCY. I will be FINA 50 next year, so meters is definitely more appealing at the moment. Of course, if our ED prevails in re-visiting tech suits for SCY (besides for the boys who want their short johns), I may have to reassess.

Since I just took 2 weeks off and am taking 4 weeks of vacation this summer, I'm definitely de-emphasizing LCM meets this season and don't care much about my times. This is quite fine, as I'm been feeling a bit meeted out from short course and want to do things that are not purely sprint focused. (No, this does not mean I'll be swimming the 1000 free at Zones ... or even the 200.) Still wondering about the advisability of 2 OW swims, but I apparently need to do this to ensure marital bliss ... I will definitely be wearing a wetsuit, , as will basically everyone in these events. I've also heard that B70 is coming out with "something special" for OW.

So far, I'm thinking:

Aug. 21-22: LCM Zones at UMD

Sept. 19: Savageman 1/2 Iron Triathlon (relay)

Oct. 24: GMUP Sprint Classic (SCY)

Nov. 13: Beach 2 Battlefield Ironman Triathlon (relay -- seriously that race better have one heck of a current ...)

Early-mid Dec.: NE SCM Champs in Boston or CZ Champs if it's at Rutgers this year. Does anyone know yet?

March: Albatross SCM Meet (not sure when this is yet)

March or April: If I taper for SCY and depending on the actual dates, either NE SCY Champs or Colonies Zones. Not sure I can do both the Albatross meet and the NE meet though ... depends on dates. No back to back meets for me.

July: Some LCM meet hopefully. May have to do a kid meet if there are no local meets.

Aug: LCM Nats at Auburn.

My taper focus will likely be Dec. 2009 for SCM and August 2010 for LCM, though I'll probably rest some for whatever meet I do in March-April.

Any other good meet ideas?

Updated June 7th, 2010 at 04:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Spinning
  12. I hate Vinyasa, Saturday, Jan. 23

by , January 23rd, 2010 at 05:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

The sun shone and the temperature eeked up to 40 degrees today, so I opted for a run. Did my usual 5 mile zen run loop. Stopped for a quick chat and walked an up. It was quite divine.

Yoga:

I tried the Solar Flow option on the Yogi Shakti DVD this afternoon. I could only stomach about 15-20 minutes of it. I never want to hear or do the vinyasa sequence chataranga-upward dog-downward dog again. Perhaps I would have liked some of the other segments of the video better, but I didn't like the first part for sure. I think I may need to stick to bikram or power yoga.

In any event, I plugged in the P90X yoga DVD my friend gave me. It's also 90 minutes. I did about an hour of it. There was some vinyasa flow work, which I fast forwarded through as I didn't want to do it again. Otherwise, it seemed to have a lot of different movements from different yoga disciplines without any spirituality attached. I didn't get to the last 30 minutes of seated stretching (always my fav). I'll do that tomorrow. I would do this one again.

I'm definitely hitting the pool tomorrow and hoping the crowds aren't too bad. Hoping to do a lactate set. I didn't swim as much as usual this week. I am still aiming for 5x per week, which is my norm. Hopefully, I won't feel like a terd again tomorrow.

Suits:

FYI, I heard that Roque Santos, having left B70, is desiging his own line of new tech suits. The women's suit is supposed to come up slightly higher in the back.

Updated January 23rd, 2010 at 07:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Yoga
  13. Drylands, Wed., Dec. 30

by , December 30th, 2009 at 05:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Gym:

broomstick twists, 1 x 25
    bent over rear delt fly, 12.5 x 2 x 15
    standing single arm push on double cable machine, 25 x 2 x 15 each arm
    single arm standing lat pulldowns, 55 x 2 x 15, each arm
    russian twist on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
    snatch windmill w/20 lb DB, 20 x 2 x 10, each arm
    squat swings w/25 lb plate, 25 x 2 x 15
    goblet squats, 50 x 2 x 15
    lying overhead tricep press, 40 x 2 x 15
    decline reverse crunches w/10 lb DB held by feet, 3 x 15
    body rows, 3 x 20
    hanging knee tuck kick outs, 2 x 15

tabata squat thrusts w/press & med ball = 8 rounds of 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off. (Used my iphone to time.) Killer!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcnqPHcWeI&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Faster Swimming dryland routine called Tabata[/ame]

see also:

http://ironmom.blogspot.com/2009/05/tabata-swim.html

and:

CF Swimming Tabata Death:
    WOD: 5 rounds tabata x 5 exercises (no rest in between)

Wall Ball
    Double unders (or 1/3 for singles)
    Push Ups
    Sit Ups (I'd sub plyos for this myself)
    Row

RC:

internal and external rotators
    med ball on wall
    scapular wall slides
    prone scapular scrunches
    3 position arm extensions
    dumbbell shrugs
    scapular pulls

P90X Ab Ripper:

11 exercises, 25 times each:

Knee In and Outs
    Bicycle
    Bicycle in reverse
    Crunchy Frogs
    Fifer Scissors
    Hip Rock and Raise
    Pulse-ups with straight legs
    V-up roll ups
    Obliques V up crunches, each side
    Leg climbs
    Mason twist oblique twists

Looks like it is all right here:

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tcpx_p90x-ab-ripper-x-part-1_school"]Dailymotion - P90X Ab Ripper X Part 1 - a College video@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x7tcpx@@AMEPARAM@@x7tcpx[/ame]

Run:

2 x 1 mile run to drop the car off for new tires and go back to get it. It's WAY to cold out for my taste to run.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

1. Well, I made it through my first official tabata cycle doing squat thrusts w/a press as in the swimming dryland video. Not easy. My heart rate was up pretty high -- probably the highest its been since I swam the 100 back at NE Champs. lol. Seems like a great exercise though.

2. I'm really liking the snatch windmill exercise. It's a good shoulder isometric and really works the core.

3. There are no jump ropes at my gym. And my son's jump rope is awol. So I ordered a jump rope today along with "The Stick" for my troublesome calves. It's supposed to be more effective than a foam roller.

4. The P90X Ab Ripper video seemed harder than usual after my gym session. I hadn't done it in awhile and doing it also confirmed that it is, in fact, much different than the P90X Plus ab/core workout. Much more ab isolation. I think the oblique V up crunches are the best exercise on this DVD.

5. I think the hanging ab work may be irritating my elbows slightly. I plan to go back to using my ab slings.

6. I had an appt with my sleep doc today. We also discussed the allergy issues. He says that, given my symptoms, it's an absolute no brainer that I have a gluten intolerance/allergy and I need to cut it out asap in toto from my diet. He says I also have a lactose intolerance/allergy, but that symptoms of hives, rashes, anemia and hand tingling indicate a gluten issue, not a lactose issue. (He said the latter could be controlled somewhat by taking lactate tablets before eating any dairy.) He thinks my reaction after dinner the other night was likewise gluten, not lactose, even though I *thought* I was eating gluten free. Restaurants, as Q has noted, are apparently, wholly unreliable ... It's also not a good sign that the allergies seem to be escalating. Big ugh.

Updated December 30th, 2009 at 11:27 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Running
  14. Run + Core, Sun., Dec. 27

by , December 27th, 2009 at 06:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    5 mile run:

The sun shone and the temps soared above 50, so I decided that it was time for my first zen run of the winter. The first mile felt wretched, but then I settled into a groove. It was still pretty muddy, so the shoes are a bit trashed. My right hammie protested a teeny bit. But since I didn't have a hangnail, , I kept running.

Core work:

I got home, watched the Duel in the Pool and then did the P90X abs plus 20 minute video. I like the standing X crunches. The last exercise, called "cherry bomb," is also pretty cool -- it consists of banana, roll to side, roll back to banana, crunch into canon ball, explode with arms and legs in giant X. All the balancing requires a lot of core strength.

I couldn't believe what a little skinny boy Michael Phelps looked next to Nathan Adrian!

Allergies:

Ugh! Went out to a nice dinner last night and then had an immediate hive attack. Worst one yet. I've been pretty bad about cutting out lactose and gluten this week -- too many xmas cookies and fudge! But I think it must have been the risotto and creme brulee that did me in last night. I think my 6 week cold turkey effort begins today!

Updated December 27th, 2009 at 07:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running
  15. Saturday, Nov. 7

by , November 7th, 2009 at 07:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    AM: Hot Yoga

Went to the 10:00 am 90 minute hot yoga class. This was my easiest class in terms of resisting heat stroke. As always, I'm pretty decent on postures with back bends involved and not so hot on balancing. But I'm improving slightly. Had my fav instructor Insel there today.

Then I went to the last regular season soccer game for my 9 year old. The weather was gorgeous, my daughter rang like a gazelle (she's a natural wingman), and we had a little party afterward.

My lunatic relay partners (who are co-soccer coaches) are anxious awaiting results from the Wrightsville Beach ironman tri taking place today.

PM: Run:

Wasn't sure what exercise to engage in this afternoon. Given the beautiful weather, I opted for a run. Did my usual 5 mile trail loop. The first mile was mildly tortuous after my manic plyo session yesterday and yoga this am, but then my legs relaxed and I felt pretty strong. I still walked a nasty up though.

Meets/Times:

I understand that there is going to be a meet here in PV the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend at the Freedom Center called the "Crawl Brawl." It was supposed to be in meters, but it was switched to yards. God forbid we swim SCM ...

This is slightly ameliorated by the fact that there is now going to be a SCM meet at Wilson High School (site of the Fall Ball). Unfortunately for me, it appears to be a one day meet only the same weekend as NE Champs in Boston.

On a happy note, the IL TT chair corrected his TT submissions and included my LCM times in the 100 fly and 200 back. Mary Beth W. assured me they would appear in the final LCM rankings. Whew!

Off to dinner with friends ....
    Categories
    Running , Yoga
  16. 50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26

by , October 26th, 2009 at 04:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

Went for a 5 mile zen run today. Perfect fall weather!

Videos from Sprint Classic:

Here are the meet results: http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...limResults.htm

I was lucky enough to have Speedo and SwimStud tape my 50 fly and Swimmy tape the final heat of the women's 50 back. And I must say, they revealed all my technical difficulties! lol

On the 50 back, my underwater on the second 25 was better than my first 25 -- somewhat unusual for me. On the first 25, I broke out with my head at an angle instead of leaning back. I recall this moment. I had done 13-14 dolphin kicks and was thinking that I better get the hell to the surface fast. But I thought my turn looked decent.

On the 50 fly, I took a HUGE look at my nearby competitor. 100 lashes, though I do note some acceleration after that look. My breakouts looked a little rocky as well. And my start ... well, that was my worst one of the meet and I made a lot of noise. lol And yes, I was wearing a B70 and my chief competitor (former secret nemesis was AWOL) was not, but I was old enough to be her mom.

Here's the final 50 back heat of Team Hottub Ladies, most of whom are illustrious top ten backstrokers and good swim buddies:

Lane 3, Barbara Clifford-Dicks
    Lane 4, Fort
    Lane 5, SwimmieAvsFan
    Lane 6, Julie-Mulie Oplinger Roddin
    Lane 7, Swimshark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjKjaq8IKs"]YouTube- MVI 1033[/ame]

Barb and SwimmieAvsFan have been really working on their SDKs and I think it really shows!

And here's the 50 fly taped by Speedo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2T_GJLUsg"]YouTube- swimming sprint classic 006.avi[/ame]

If you look closely, you can see Stud in his itsby bitsy teeny weeny Speedo brief on the other side of the pool taping.

The 50 fly from the other side of the pool taped by Stud:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRcif3L90cg"]YouTube- Leslie 50 Fly zones...[/ame]

Sore neck:

My neck is pretty sore today. I noticed a twinge in the right side after the evilstroke start. So it was either caused by: (1) so many starts, (2) checking out the competition, or (3) swiveling my head to check out the cute guys in the hottub (Eney's suggestion, lol). I would have liked to go for a slow swim this afternoon and sit in the hottub, but it's a no go with too much to do. Tomorrow hopefully.

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 12:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  17. Wednesday, Sept. 9

by , September 9th, 2009 at 07:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Zen Run:

Was super busy today. Only had time for a 45 minute zen run during a beautiful late afternoon while my littlest was at jazz dance. Will do stretching and RC tonight.

Had my GI consult today. Endoscopy is scheduled for next Tuesday. I will be given the "Michael Jackson" sedative. lol If it's an ulcer, it was almost certainly caused by NSAIDs or pylori bacteria. I did use a lot of NSAIDs for a few years while battling tendonitis/shoulder problems. If it's the pylori, I'll have to go on antibiotics and be "really sick" for 10 days, according to the doc. Oh joy. That could interfere with my Fall Ball plans. But I'll enter the meet anyway. On the upside, all my blood work and tests show I'm in great health -- perfect blood pressure, great cholesterol (with high HDL -- http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cho...levels/CL00001), low resting pulse, etc.

Kick Ass Kick Set:

Tomorrow, I'm swimming with Speedo at noon. Among other things, we're going to do a nasty Tall Paul I haven't done in awhile:

In a 25yd pool, 100's as follows:

- Push off on the opposite side of the starting blocks, kick 7-11 SDK's surfacing into cruise free with a strong 6 beat (overkick)
    - at the first wall finish hands first and go immediately into a 10 second all out kick against the wall.
    - Stop, then grab the backstroke start bar and go into a back start, 7-9 SDK's then cruise backstroke with a strong 6 beat kick (overkick)...race finish touch on the opposite wall
    - immediately start 3rd 25 doing forward "V" scull (on your back, feet out of the water looking toward the opposite side sculling)
    - At the final wall when your feet touch pull into the wall then explode with as many SDK's back as you can go before taking a breath then easy free to wall.

Savageman Swim Details:

Here are the swim details for the Savagemen Half Iron:

Water Temperature and Wetsuits
    The water temperature at Deep Creek Lake on September 20 is expected to be around 69 degrees. Wetsuits are allowed and encouraged.

Swim Course
    The swim course uses an in-water swim start from the park's large swim beach and is a long narrow rectangular course that stays near the Deep Creek State Park shoreline. The swim courses are diagramed in the swim map and video flyover of the swim courses are available on the swim course pages of the SavageMan website.

A combination of large, colored inflatable buoys and smaller, white buoys will mark the swim course. Buoys are to be kept on your right at all times and the large, inflatable buoys will be different colors for the way out and the way back to ease navigation. Both Half-Iron and International courses share the same course to the swim turnaround at a large green inflatable turtle at the State Park Road bridge and then back to the beach area. The International course will turn directly in to the swim exit around a specially marked buoy when the swim returns to the north beach, while Half-Iron course continues straight to a final turn around a very large, floating "signature" buoy before returning to the swim exit at the north beach. Interspersed between the large, inflatable buoys will be smaller white buoys every 60 meters with strobe lights attached to aid sighting and provide a straight line to follow.

If for any reason you are having difficulty, roll on to your back and wave a hand in the air. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, take your swim cap off and also wave that in the air. A boat will come immediately to assist you.

Swim Waves - Tentative Schedule
    There will be four waves for the SavageMan Half-Iron and three for the SavageMan International, each with approximately 100-120 participants.

SavageMan Half-Iron Waves
    Wave 1 (Half): 8:30 AM (red): Elites, Athenas, Relays, All Females
    Wave 2 (Half): 8:37 AM (ivory): M30-39
    Wave 3 (Half): 8:44 AM (orange): M40+
    Wave 4 (Half): 8:51 AM (dark green): M15-29, Clydedales, Aquavelo
    SavageMan International Waves
    Wave 5 (Intl): 9:30 AM (day glow green): M15-39, Clydedales, Relays
    Wave 6 (Intl): 9:37 AM (silver): F40+, M40+, Athenas
    Wave 7 (Intl): 9:44 AM (pink): F15-39

I have no idea if this wave order is normal. Do women usually go before the men and with the elite pros?

Updated September 9th, 2009 at 10:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running
  18. Wednesday, Sept. 2

by , September 2nd, 2009 at 05:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    It's a beautiful sunny day in the 70s here, so it was time for a run even though my running legs have utterly vanished from disuse. Went on a slow 5 mile zen trail run. Walked some on the up on mile 4. Took a water break and, as Pete would say, a nature break along the way. It was lovely.

I'm going to hop on my bike shortly for a quick 30 minute spin before heading off to fall kickoff night at our high school where my two oldest will get their schedules.

Here's another article for P & Q. Jazz can critique.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32632923/ns/health-fitness/
    Categories
    Running , Spinning
  19. Repeat OW + Beach Run, Tuesday. Aug. 25

by , August 25th, 2009 at 11:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Did the same workout as yesterday. Could be a first in the annals of Fort history. Went for my approximately 1.7 mile swim + 1.7 mile run back on the beach. It took about 55 minutes, so I don't think I had an too much of a cheater current. If I had gone later in the day, the waves were even more mellow. Again, no nasty jellyfish to ruin the swim. This is definitely harder on the shoulders though so, despite the ease of it, I'll probably make the drive out to the YWCA tomorrow.

I went to a tri store today to get some of Geek's famed 2XU bike shorts for Mr. Fort. While there, I checked out their wetsuits a bit. Lordy! These things don't compare to a B70 AT ALL. The 2009 2XU wetsuit, for example, is 5 mm thick and made of 39 cell neoprene. I don't think I've ever seen anything so thick, squishy and seemingly buoyant in my life. It bore no resemblance to a swim skin. The next time someone says I'm swimming in a wetsuit, I'm going to kick their ass! Yeesh! And I'm no expert, but it appears there's been a leap forward in wetsuit technology from 2007 to 2009 in terms of thickness and buoyancy.

The other hot new thing in the tri store were the recovery compression socks for cyclists and runners. I'm told you wear these after a workout to promote muscle recovery. Though you see some athletes actually running or biking in them ... They also come in black so the guys can wear them to work ... I'm thinking there could be a swim adaptation for these socks. Nice recovery after an intense kick/fin workout.

Adding a few more pics from Nats. SwimRobin caught the first shot on the left of THT members, one gone a bit crazy as usual. Next is a pic of our girl Champ 200 free relay, then a pic of bloggers Chicken of the Sea, me and Bobinator, then a pic of blogger FlyQueen (the "wifey") and me. (Sizing is askew on a couple, probably cuz I pulled them off FB. My own pics are on my other computer at home.)

Updated August 26th, 2009 at 01:12 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6732_124347198395_674488395_2308206_4032296_n.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	6289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6450_234833600051_797920051_8310955_7261239_s.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	6290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6450_234629200051_797920051_8304720_8239275_s.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	6291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6450_234838805051_797920051_8311078_3718944_s.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	6292  
  20. Into the OW, Monday, Aug. 24

by , August 24th, 2009 at 06:56 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Well, it wasn't too rough today, so there was no excuse not to venture into the OW. And it was an enjoyable break from the usual walls. I swam a course my husband had measured with his bike computer as 1.7 miles on the road. I must have swum 2+ miles with the zig zagging and having to swim back out past the surfers several times. And there were no jellyfish! The only bummer was that I lost my goggles when I got hit by a huge wave on the way to shore. Luckily, I have others.

Then I ran back along the beach. And it didn't even feel too dreadful!

Now, after a day of sun and surf, it's almost time for my margarita! Sleep be damned.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast