View RSS Feed

ART

1. Friday, Jan. 25

by , January 25th, 2013 at 06:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC ex, 10 min
    explosive leg press, 190 x 3 x 15
    good mornings, 80 x 3 x 8
    extreme angle iso squat, 5:00 -- finally got to 5:00, so can add weight next time
    med ball slams, 3 x 10
    standing long jumps, 10
    seated row negatives, 80 x 3 x 8
    wrist curls, 60 x 4 x 10
    2x through:
    overhead squats, 50 x 10
    squat jumps w/bar, 50 x 8
    knee tuck jumps, 10

ART, 30 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No time for core work or a recovery swim bc I had to race off to ART.
    Egads! We got a slightly dusting of snow and, in a panic, school was closed early and the prelims of HS district champs were cancelled. Truly ridiculous, though I'm not unhappy that we just have timed finals tomorrow night. Teen Fort is swimming the medley relay and 100 fly and 100 evil.
  2. Friday, Oct. 5

by , October 5th, 2012 at 07:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Speedo aka Moi Eisley:

Warm up:

-- missed some of this cuz I strolled in a bit late

500 various
    8 x 25 shooters
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

10 x 25 drag races shooters @ 1:00
    -- start @ mid-pool, from dead stop dolphin kick underwater fast to wall, swim back out easy
    -- 6 back, 4 belly
    -- Speedo was clearly cheating on these by doing a mini push off the bottom!
    MUM (= masters ultra minute for sprinters)

100 EZ

5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ) with w/fins @ 3:00
    -- free (10 low), free (10 high), free (10 mid), back shooter (9), dolphin kick w/board (11 flat)
    MUM

50 EZ

50 AFAP back from the blocks
    -- Speed clocked me at 28 flat. But I went a couple kicks past the 15 m mark, so I add half a second. Still a fast practice time considering the week of training and how sore I was.
    MUM

150 EZ

5 x 40 w/bungee cordz @ 2:00
    2 breast: pull until taut + 10 fast strokes
    2 back: pull until taut + 30 strong strokes
    1 back flutter kick: pull until taut + :20 fast kicking

100 EZ

Total: 2250

ART, 30 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was great meeting up with Speedo after a bike induced break despite him being a cheater. I figure his stiff ankles needed a handicap.

I'm pretty sore and tired after a busy week of training. 6 days in a row of swimming. Definitely taking tomorrow off. Busy with Lil Fort's am soccer game and afternoon swim meet anyway. And then it's Homecoming again. This year, we had a dress debacle with a dress ordered over the internet not fitting. Imagine that and guess who told Teen Fort this was a bad idea. Emergency was happily resolved yesterday afternoon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  3. Monday, Sept. 10

by , September 10th, 2012 at 05:44 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

8 x 25 burst dolphin kick + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

3 x through:
    1 x 25 dive from side, power kick to 15 + cruise 35 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ 100 pace @ 1:30
    1 x 50 EZ @ 1:30
    1 x 25 AFAP + 75 EZ @ 2:30

round 1 = fly w/fins (25, 11 flat)
    round 2 = 50 back w/fins (25) & 25 shooter, no fins (12)
    round 3 = 50 evil w/fins (30) & 25 no fins (16)

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins, 23 high, bad push off
    150 EZ

4 x 25 fast back w/fins @ 100 pace @ :30 (11 highs)
    100 EZ
    4 x 25 fast breast dolphin, no fins @ 100 pace @ :40 (16 high-17 low)
    100 EZ

8 x 25 w/parachute & fins @ 1:00
    -- 2 flutter kick w/board, 2 dolphin kick w/board, 2 evil pull, 2 free
    100 EZ

Total: 2800

ART, 30 min

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did a slightly modified version of Workout #1 from my HIT forum. [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=21342"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. Didn't have time for the entire workout. With the generous intervals, it takes awhile to do that sucker. I seemed to have good speed. Still tired from the early Sunday wake up though.

Glad I had an ART appt scheduled. He worked over my shoulders and elbows. He is going to attempt to get me into a PRP study. (One of the participating doctors is my own PRP guy.) My elbows are a good candidate, and I still feel like I need one more PRP treatment on my left shoulder. Fingers crossed.

I worked on the palms down recovery some more in breast. I like it. I haven't made a stroke change in a long time, but this one I'm endorsing. I also think it puts less torque on the elbow by keeping the hand position constant.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  4. Still Powerless, Monday July 2

by , July 2nd, 2012 at 01:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Sunday:

RC/Yoga/Foam rolling, 45 minutes

Stepped on the pool deck for a swim and was informed that a kid had an accident in the pool and it was closed. Seriously?! I drove to our summer league pool, which fortunately had reopened. I did 1200 SCM with 4 bursts and an up tempo 25. My brain is just not on swimming right now.

Monday:

Still no power. Day 4. And there is no repair date for my area on the power co website, though there is an estimate that 85-90% will have power by Thursday. There is also the threats of thunder storms the next few days that could hamper power restoration efforts. Can't catch a break here in No Va.

I am sitting in Whole Foods eating lunch and pondering whether to get a pedicure or go to the gym for a few hours and blow my taper. Power outages and taper don't mix well.

I do have an ART appt later ths afternoon.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART , Yoga
  5. Thursday, June 14

by , June 14th, 2012 at 05:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/next to Speedo:

Warm up:

600 various
    12 x 25 shooters
    5 x 50 caterpillar fly drills
    5 x 50 torque drill w/paddles
    chatting

Speed sets:

12 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 6 dolphin, 6 fast hand drills
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins
    -- 23 flat, saw a glimmer of a 22
    200 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP backstroke kick w/fins
    -- 51 low
    -- Speedo went with me. Did free -- 53
    100 EZ
    chatting

1 x 50 AFAP breast w/fins
    -- 28 mid
    -- ugh, should have warmed down more after the 100 kick, cramped a bit
    150 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins
    -- 23 low
    150 EZ

hottub, 10 min

Total: 2550

ART, 30 min:

Hadn't been in ages. Had him work on my calves, which have been cramping quite a bit lately. He is booked solid lately. Have to wait a month for an appt now. But he said he would sneak me in at the end of the day a few days before Nats for a tune up.

It was great to see Speedo, fresh off his xterra tri and already talking smack about another one in August. Maybe we need more goofy looking people cheering us on at swim meets.

I was planning to do more today. But it is probably just as well as I'm planning to swim LCM with Susan tomorrow and want to do some race pace work.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  6. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 06:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI
    10 x 25 DPK shooters @ :40
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    5 x 50 @ 1:30
    25 EZ speed free + 25 EZ @ 1:30
    -- went high 11 to high 12s
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 dolphin burst + cruise @ 1:30
    50 EZ

Total: 1800

ART, 30 min

Had my chiro work on my calves, which were still cramping on the shooters (though not thereafter). Dunno, maybe my electrolytes are messed up this week. Have been slamming some today.

Acupuncture, 45 min:

This was my second session. I figure I'll try it 2x a week for 4 weeks and see if it helps. I'm not expecting it to do anything for my labrum, of course. But it might help bring blood flow to the other injured/sore areas of the shoulder and scapula. And provide some pain relief. It seems like a good combo with PRP. Speaking of which, my chiro mentioned that he understands that the second session of PRP is the worse in terms of sensitivity and pain. Oh joy, I can look forward to that after nationals.

Stretching/Rehab, 30 min

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend. I spent a huge amount of time today on pain prevention ... I really hope one day soon I wake up pain free.

More importantly, how much is one supposed to fork over for a prom dress?

Attached is a pic of Fort Son's boat, the First Freshman 8. My son has some seriously styling boots.

Psych sheets for Colonies Zones:
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...ults/index.htm

Updated April 12th, 2012 at 10:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	559613_10150745395367389_620177388_9327649_1397999451_n.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	6818  
  7. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 06:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    50 EZ
    50 EZ

ART, 30 min

Had my chiro work on my calves, which were still cramping on the shooters (though not thereafter). Dunno, maybe my electrolytes are messed up this week. Have been slamming some today.

Acupuncture:

This was my second session. I figure I'll try it 2x a week for 4 weeks and see if it helps. I'm not expecting it to do anything for my labrum, of course. But it might help bring blood flow to the other injured/sore areas of the shoulder and scapula. And provide some pain relief. It seems like a good combo with PRP. Speaking of which, my chiro mentioned that he understands that the second session of PRP is the worse in terms of sensitivity and pain. Oh joy, I can look forward to that after nationals.

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend.

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  8. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 06:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    50 EZ
    50 EZ

ART, 30 min

Acupuncture, 45 min:

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend.

Do Ice Baths Work, Part II:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...k-part-ii.html
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  9. Tuesday, April 3

by , April 3rd, 2012 at 05:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters @ :40ish
    5 x 50 fly @ whatever

-- lots of chatting with Speedo who had arrived earlier

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

-- Was slightly worried about my planned timed efforts as I could feel the fatigue from yesterday's hard speed work and was cramping a bit on the bursts. Went ahead anyway and did better than I thought I would.

1 x 100 AFAP fly w/fins, 52 high
    -- Fin was falling off on the 3rd 25. Had to stop and make an adjustment at the turn. This pissed me off and cost a lot of time. So I decided to do another.
    250 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP fly w/fins, 51 high
    250 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP breast dophin w/fins, 27 mid
    200 EZ

Total: 2350

ART, 35 min

Doc was impressed I had recovered quickly from the PRP. The neck is still somewhat tender, probably more nerves there I guess.

In retrospect, I should have flip flopped my Monday and Tuesday workouts. I was really feeling yesterday's effort and the quads were burning. Still, those are definitely the fastest 100 flys I've done in practice by a good margin. I'm not sure, but I think my previous best was a 54. Even if you add a whopping 15 seconds or so for fins (which seems very generous), that second one would convert to a 1:06 from a push. I went 1:03.1 the only time I swam it last year. In general, I've been doing a lot of practice PRs since January.

Signed up for Zones with seed times from the last time I swam the events. Decided not to bother with the 100 free. Will do the 200 relays. Hoping to get a 50 free split on one of the free relays. Maybe the girl's relay on Saturday.

Swim Meet Events
    Event
    Number Gender Distance Stroke Time Date
    23 Female 50 SCY Fly 0:26.79 04/14/2012
    33 Female 100 SCY IM 1:04.10 04/15/2012
    43 Female 100 SCY Breast 1:15.90 04/15/2012
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  10. Wed., March 28

by , March 28th, 2012 at 06:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART, 30 mon:

Chiro worked on my shoulders and upper back.

Drylands, 75 min:

rehab exercises (20 min)
    explosive leg press, 250 x 4 x 12
    seated narrow grip row, 80 x 3 x 12
    good mornings, 65 x 1 x 8, 75 x 1 x 8, 80 x 1 x 8, 85 x 1 x 8
    resisted side lunges on cable machine, 55 x 1 x 15 each side
    resisted track start jumps left foot forward, 40 x 1 x 10
    calf raises, 180 x 3 x 8
    extreme angle goblet squats w/DBs with feet on raised steps, 40 x 4 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 8
    altitude drops from highest box + squat jump, 2 x 6
    med ball slams, 10
    twisting med ball slams, 10

Stretching, 20-25 min

-- lower back/legs/hips

Slept better last. Mr. Fort and I were discussing last night that we require more sleep than we used to, even just a few years ago. I used to get by on so much less.

I am still on the fence about Omaha. I feel like my body needs some rest from HIT training. But I suppose all may be well if I do a couple weeks of IG after Nats. I believe my summer vacation falls on what may be the weekend of Zones. So if I don't go to Omaha, I'll probably miss long course season. I wouldn't mind re-doing my 50 back and 50 fly from last summer when I wasn't feeling great. Fixing the thyroid issues that occurred last summer & fall (again) could be part of the reason I'm swimming faster now.

Updated March 28th, 2012 at 10:43 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , ART
  11. Thursday, March 15

by , March 15th, 2012 at 04:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART, 30 min:

Doc says the shoulder area is not as inflamed. I guess some rest and body work agreed with it.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

5 x 50 caterpillar fly @ :15 RI

8 x 25 shooter w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

6 x 25 free no breath @ :40
    50 EZ

4 x burst + cruise @ 1:00
    -- dolphin kick
    50 EZ

-- speed drills
    50 EZ

3 x (25 build free + back turn + free breakout + east + 50 EZ)
    -- finally had a decent breakout on #3, but I generally seem to suck at these. it seems to work better if I wait until I'm virtually at the surface before flipping on my belly
    -- not sure if I'm ready to do attempt this in prime time ...

100 EZ

Total: 2200

Felt pretty good in the water today after my second "drop taper" in 3 weeks. I'll just do an easy 1000 and a few bursts tomorrow, and be ready to go! 50 fly split request/100 back/50 free/200 mixed medley relay (fly leg). I wish that I had more than 3+ weeks to cram for Nats, but c'est la vie. I'm sure I'll be fine. I plan to start tapering on April 10, 3 days before Zones and 2+ weeks before Nats. Zones will be my last hard sprint "workout." I will keep my yardage about the same the following week, but reduce the HIT yards and increase the IG yards.

The kids in my swim team carpool reprogramed Siri to call me "master." I am enjoying this.

All the fast PV are folks are at the SCM meet this weekend, except Speedo and Jazzy. Here's the psych sheet and swim phone links:
    http://www.pvmasters.org/albatross/psych12.htm
    http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3617

Hmm ... I seem to have double posted this blog entry.

Updated March 15th, 2012 at 04:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  12. Thursday, March 15

by , March 15th, 2012 at 04:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART, 30 min:

Doc says the shoulder area is not as inflamed. I guess some rest and body work agreed with it.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

5 x 50 caterpillar fly @ :15 RI

8 x 25 shooter w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

6 x 25 free no breath @ :40
    50 EZ

-- dolphin kick
    50 EZ

-- speed drills
    50 EZ

3 x (25 build free + back turn + free breakout + east + 50 EZ)
    -- finally had a decent breakout on #3, but I generally seem to suck at these. it seems to work better if I wait until I'm virtually at the surface before flipping on my belly
    -- not sure if I'm ready to do attempt this in prime time ...

100 EZ

Total: 2200

I took yesterday off from the pool. But diligently did my rehab exercises and stretched. Does anyone know whether there is an ideal # x per week you're supposed to rehab stuff?

Felt pretty good in the water today after my second "drop taper" in 3 weeks. I'll just do an easy 1000 and a few bursts tomorrow, and be ready to go! 50 fly split request/100 back/50 free/200 mixed medley relay (fly leg). I wish that I had more than 3+ weeks to cram for Nats, but c'est la vie. I'm sure I'll be fine. I plan to start tapering on April 10, 3 days before Zones and 2+ weeks before Nats. Zones will be my last hard sprint "workout." I will keep my yardage about the same the following week, but reduce the HIT yards and increase the IG yards.

The kids in my swim team carpool reprogramed Siri to call me "master." I am enjoying this.

All the fast PV are folks are at the SCM meet this weekend, except Speedo and Jazzy. Here's the psych sheet and swim phone links:
    http://www.pvmasters.org/albatross/psych12.htm
    http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3617

Updated March 15th, 2012 at 04:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  13. Thursday, March 1

by , March 1st, 2012 at 05:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 25 back shooters w/fins @ :40

6 x 25 no breather free @ :40
    50 EZ

4 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    4 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    4 x 25 easy speed fly @ 1:00
    50 EZ

2 x (25 @ 90-95% + 75 EZ)
    free = 10 mid-high
    breast = 13 flat-ish
    100 dolphin dive

Total: 1750

ART, 30 minutes

Random thoughts:

1. It is absolutely gorgeous here! 67 and sunny. Top down. I feel like we got off with the easiest winter ever.

2. I have fought back this cold. This is the first time in recent memory I can recall doing this. I usually can't avoid a miserable downward spiral. I think it really helped to rest the very minute I felt it coming on. And, happily, this was supposed to be a recovery week anyway.

3. I did feel somewhat rested in the water.

4. I have been sleeping a lot. It is going to be brutal getting up at the crack of down for this weekend's meet. (sprinter whine)

5. I received my Arena X-Glide suit in the mail. Unfortunately, they sent me the open back and not the closed back. But with my body glide in hand, I will try it on to see how the size is (having never worn an Arena before). If the closed backs really take 2 to get on, I may just stick with the open back.

6. My shoulder/scapular area has calmed down slightly. However, I have had issues with my upper rhomboid and lower infrasprinatus areas off and for awhile now. I'm going to discuss PRP-ing these spots with my doctor next week. (I previously PRP'd the upper infraspinatus and supraspinatus in 2008.) In the interim, I may see if he will give me a tylenol or advil injection to calm those areas down. I've been diligently doing my rehab exercises, taking advil, etc. without any real effect. The ART seems to help the most. But I grow weary of it bothering me (sprinter whine), and the PRP is sure to help IMO.

7. I am wondering if my elbows are now stable enough to start lifting lightly. My left one is still bothering me every so slightly. I think it was from doing torque drills with paddles. I have not touched a paddle since.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  14. Friday, Feb. 24

by , February 24th, 2012 at 05:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

45 minutes slow, mostly continuous swim.

ART, 30 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Woke up feeling tuckered out despite a good night's sleep, so no lactate workout for me today. It was probably unrealistic anyway, as I've done 3 hard speed workouts this week.

I'm feeling a little panicky about my left shoulder. It's been bothering me for weeks now, despite faithfully doing my RC and scapular exercises. (Did another round just last night). Worried that I'm on the verge of tendonitis. ART doc says probably not yet, but that I have inflammation in the subscapularis, teres and lower infraspinatus area. I have a very tight supraspinatus as well. I wonder if not going to yoga is a culprit there? The ART session was one of the more painful I've had lately. He says I'll be sore for a couple days. I need more Aleve!

I did make a precautionary appt with my pain doc for March 8.

I'm still blaming my elbows for causing this problem. However, I wonder if the failure to take a recovery week may have contributed some? I am going to be resting some between now and Match 17, so perhaps that will help.

Updated February 24th, 2012 at 07:39 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  15. Friday, Feb. 17

by , February 17th, 2012 at 10:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Mostly Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

400 various
    Speedo chat break, which we should have done in the hot tub in retrospect
    200 back/kick

10 x 25 shooters on back w/fins

5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
    4 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ whatever
    75 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 EZ) @ 5:00
    1 = fly, 23 low
    2 = fly-back, 23 mid
    3 = back-breast, 26 high-27 flat
    4 = breast-free, 25
    5 = fly, 23 mid

5 x 50 w/stretch cordz @ 2:00
    25 resisted free w/paddles + 25 assisted speed
    125 EZ

Total: 2650

ART, 30 minutes:

Got my scapular area and shoulder worked on again. I think after lots of rehab exercises and some body work, it's starting to feel better.

Felt kinda sluggish in the water today. I think I'm not fully recovered from that deep tissue massage yet. Still, times were solid considering.

Went to GMU for the VA AAA HS Champsafter ART. Lots of fast swimming. Very peculiar incident. The 2 top boys in the 100 fly were DQ'd for flinching on the start. One DQ was reversed by the head ref. However, it was his son and the other DQ stood. That sounds dicey indeed. Teen Fort is just swimming relays. Happily, her medley relay went faster even after kicking off their fast freestyler who loafed at Regionals. She is swimming tomorrow and then heading up to Boston for a couple days. She was supposed to erg in the Crash Sprints with some teammates, but hasn't been erging due to a cortisone injection in the knee. But she does have unofficial visits with two college coaches.

I am having a day of exasperation with my I can run anywhere husband. To my consternation, he announced today that he simply must go on vacation the first week of April, to a location with no real pool. Huh. My April meets have been on the calendar forever. Naturally, I had to remind him that I wrecked havoc on my past two long course seasons due to long family vacations. And last April I missed Zones for the Boston marathon and didn't do a SCY taper. How quickly they forget! Round 1: Fortress. The facts are clearly on my side.

Updated February 17th, 2012 at 10:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  16. Friday, Feb. 10

by , February 10th, 2012 at 05:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    5 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:00
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    6 x 25 over kick free, no breath @ :40ish
    50 EZ

Speed/LP Sets:

8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 4 dolphin kick, 4 swim
    50 EZ

Then, I did a Rich Abrahams set:

6 x broken AFAP 100s @ 10:00:

#1-2: 50 @ :20 rest + 2 x 25 with :10 @ 75

#3-4: 50 @ :30 rest + 2 x 25 with :15 rest @ 75

#5-6: 50 @ 1:00 rest + 2 x 25 with : 30 rest @ 75

Swim 200 very easy after each effort.

Went:
    1 = IM, :50
    2 = IM, :50
    3 = fly, :45 mid
    4 = breast, :55
    5 = fly, :45 flat
    6 = fly, :44 flat

Total: 3300

ART, 30 minutes:

My chiro worked on my elbows and left side shoulder/scapular area. He said the elbows felt better. They feel much better to me as well, though I can tell they're not healed. And it's possible the cortisone shot in the right elbow is disguising some of the underlying tendinopathy. So I still won't lift until after my next doctor's appt. Even then, I'm not sure it's worth re-starting in mid- March with the April champs meets in sight. Maybe just enough to avoid shoulder pain.

This was the most rest I've ever taken on a set of all out 100s. Even I was a little impatient on the first couple, but thereafter I enjoyed the rest. 350 yards of AFAP fly is quite a bit for me. My legs were pretty fried by the end, and I actually felt the Wednesday night weights right from the start. I'm pretty tired after that effort, and looking forward to my day off tomorrow. And looking forward to not doing rehab exercises today since I went to ART.

Preliminary SCM TT rankings are out:
    http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenlist.php.

Definitely my best season ever. I was faster than 2010 in every event except 100 fly, despite not having the greatest summer/fall of training and doing zilch aerobic work.

Place Event Name Age Club LMSC Time
    1 W50-54 50 Free Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 28.53
    1 W50-54 50 Back Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 30.58
    1 W50-54 100 Back Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:09.25
    1 W50-54 50 Breast Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 38.22
    1 W50-54 50 Fly Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 30.35
    2 W50-54 100 Fly Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:11.30
    1 W50-54 100 IM Leslie C Livingston 50 GMUP Potomac Valley 1:11.99

GMUP's 200 mixed medley relay was #2 -- not bad for a small team!

Updated February 10th, 2012 at 09:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  17. Friday, Feb. 3

by , February 3rd, 2012 at 05:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

600 various
    6 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :30
    5 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50
    5 x 50 torque drill w/paddles @ 1:15
    50 EZ
    4 x 25 kick w/board
    odds = build
    evens = easy

Speed Sets:

10 x 25 burst dolphin kick to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    100 EZ

10 x 25 burst speed play to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 5 fast hands breast, 5 fast doggy paddle
    100 EZ

3 x (broken 100s IMs AFAP w/fins + 200 EZ)
    -- broken at 50 & 75 for :15
    -- out in 23 on all of them, 23 high on 3rd one
    -- 48/48 high/49

Total: 3000

ART, 30 minutes

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So glad I had an ART appt today as my left shoulder/lats/scapular area is hurting. He worked it over good. My left side is naturally weaker and the tendons are very loose. Lifting keeps the muscles activated and strong, and helps hold the tendons in place. Without that, they cause me pain. More scapular/thoracic stabilizing for me. Groan. He told me to check out Gary Cook's exercises.

It occurred to me that substituting kicking does not necessarily mean less shoulder related pain for me. I spend an enormous amount of time in a streamline position in the water. That seems to really stress the lats/rhomboid areas.

I was looking at the PV meet schedule today. They've added a meet on March 3 in Warrenton. As much as I'd like to see Geek and the Greensboro pool, I'll skip the travel and swim at this meet. I think I may do all four 50s. Two weeks later is the Albatross meet where I'm tentatively planning to swim the 50 back/100 IM/50 free.

Normally, I would be due for a recovery week next week. But without the upper body lifting, I'm not sure I need one. That tends to be the most fatiguing aspect of my training.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  18. Thursday, Dec. 8

by , December 8th, 2011 at 06:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Swam around 1200-1300 yards easy

ART, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Felt pretty good today. I will probably take tomorrow off or do another easy swim. Heading out in the afternoon. Need to pack!

I haven't thought overly much about goal times for this meet. I'd be thrilled to nail a couple starts and swim around the times I did last year. I'm swimming the same events with the exception of the 100 IM instead of 100 back (no 50 back either). I seem to rarely swim the 100 IM at taper meets because it often conflicts with fly/back events. I last swam the 100 IM on a few days rest last March and went a 1:04.3. Using the GB converter (which occasionally gives odd results), that would convert to 1:12.4. I'd like to go faster than that eventually, but this may not be the meet. I would definitely take that time based on the event rankings and LB results.

After a lot of icing and ART, my elbows feel somewhat better.

As usual, this is not the best weekend to be gone. I'm missing swim meets, races, and various holiday parties and gatherings. And I'm not remotely done shopping!

Updated December 8th, 2011 at 08:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  19. Breast really is Evil, Tuesday, Nov. 29

by , November 29th, 2011 at 08:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

10 x 50 fly drills
    odds = caterpillar @ 1:15
    evens = single arm @ 1:00

30 x 25 shooters w/MF @ :40
    10 back, 10 belly, 10 360s

50 EZ

10 x 25 @ :40
    breast pull outs w/MF
    -- got to about 23 yards w/2 kicks

8 x 50
    25 easy speed fly + 25 easy

50 EZ

Total: 2600

ART, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just did an easy swim today. I think my body needed it, as I've done so much sprinting lately. Unlike most swimmers, I need to decrease speed work while resting, not increase it.

Kinda bad news from my chiro. I told him my elbows and forearms were still bothering me. He said I have mild tendonitis in both elbows, which I suspected. I probably shouldn't have done any upper body lifting, even with the reduced weights as I was using. He also thought that a fast breaststroke pull/recovery was especially irritating to the already inflamed elbow tendons. And I've done a lot of that recently (easier for sighting in a hotel pool for example). No upper body weights until the pain is gone. And no breaststroke at least in practice. It really is evil! I will probably swim my breast events at my meets though. If that sets me back a week or two in the weight room, so be it. I'll just do lower body work for a few weeks after NE Champs.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  20. Tuesday, Nov. 15

by , November 15th, 2011 at 05:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

8 x 50
    odds = caterpillar drill @ 1:10
    evens = single arm fly @ 1:00

20 x 25 shooters w/MF
    8 back, 8 belly, 4 360s

50 EZ

Speed Sets:

16 x 25 bursts @ 1:00
    8 dolphin w/MF, 4 fast breast pull, 2 back spin drill, 2 free

200 EZ

6 x (50 AFAP w/fins or MF + 150 EZ) @ 5:00

1 = fly, mid 23
    2 = fly, mid 23
    3 = breast, high 28
    4 = double shooter on belly w/MF, open turn, 21 mid
    5 = double shooter on belly w/MF, lost fin at the turn
    6 = double shooter on belly w/MF, open turn, 21 flat

Total: 3400

ART, 30 minutes

Glad my chiro had a last minute opening! Had him work on my elbows some today. He says they'll cool down. There's some inflammation in both the muscles and tendons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still felt somewhat tired in the water today. But my times on the AFAP 50s belied that, and I was pleased with them. Focused mostly on kicking today to give the elbows some rest.

Speedo's comment about tapering weights for the LC meet made me think that I need to put some thought into my meet prep/rest for the Last Chance meet and NE Champs. They're sneaking up on me! I did sign up for the LC meet -- 100 free (50 split) and 100 breast.

Updated November 15th, 2011 at 07:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast