View RSS Feed

Yoga

1. Jan. 3-4

by , January 5th, 2014 at 11:02 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was sick with the malaise that seems to be going round and missed a couple days of training. I was able to paddle around a bit on Friday:

Friday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewickley

600 various
    100 scull
    7 x 100 w/fins @ 1:45
    odds = DPS free w/paddles
    evens = kick w/board
    50 EZ
    6 x 25 burst SDK+ cruise
    50 EZ
    9 x 50 @ 1:00
    --3 x back, breast, back breast + 50 EZ
    5 x 25 shooter + 25 EZ w/fins @ 1:00
    40 EZ
    20 x 25 kick w/board, half AFAP @ :30
    100 EZ

Total: 3050

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday: Drylands

I used a free guest pass to try out LA Fitness, which is only 10 minutes from my house. My other options for weight training are far away (Sewcklely) or semi far (Rivers Club) and with the latter I get killed on parking fees. LA Fitness is only $29.99 per month, so I may join for convenience sake. The facilities are better as well.

RC/Scap ex
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    captains chair leg raises, 15
    russian twist on incline bench w/plate, 2 x 25
    row, 80 x 1 x 8, 90 x 2 x 8
    good mornings, warm ups, 65 x 3 x 8
    rear delt fly, 560 x 3 x 8
    explosive leg press, 155 x 1 x 5, 175 x 2 x 15
    supine bench press w/DBs, 40 x 3 x 8
    squat jumps w/bar, 45 x 2 x 8
    DB pull in plank position, 40 x 1 x 15
    fast push press on double cable machine, 35 x 2 x 30 (I ripped this off from a USC sprint training vid)

Bikram Yoga, 90 min

I didn't feel like making the long trek out to Sewickley -- where I would have been lucky to find 3 lap lanes and half the pool filled with screaming kids. So I decided to go to yoga 5 minutes from my house. The first half of the class felt pretty easy, the last half was hard to get through. The heat is such a barrier. I don't think I've gone to bikram for maybe 2 years. My balance was pretty awful. And I've definitely lost some flexibility with my lack of stretching this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2013 year in Review/Looking ahead:

1. I ended up with 371 miles, which surprisingly was more than 2012 (348) and 2011 (331). I attribute this to swimming more since I haven't been doing drylands.

2. Great first 6 months: I was really pleased with my swims at Zones & Nationals this year. I think it was the best 1-2 punch I've ever had. Everything just clicked. I broke NRs in the 50 fly (SCY and LCM), 50 back (SCY and LCM), 50 free and barely missed them in the 100 back and 100 IM. And I swam all 9 sprint events in SCY for the first time ever.

3. Sub-par last 6 months: Since June, I feel like I've only had two decent months of training -- Oct and Nov. December has been a complete bust with tapering, the holidays and the malaise. 2014 will be a rebuilding year. I've been pretty laser focused for most of my masters career. This summer and fall I lost focus for an extended period, and it took a toll. Not a big deal, but a lesson in what I need to do to be at or near the top of my game.

4. I think my best swim was my 50 fly at Nationals -- 25.70. Ironically, my worst swim at a focus meet was the 50 SCM fly at NE Champs - 29.9.

5. I really enjoyed having my daughter join masters and competing with her. We swam a bunch of relays together and grabbed some AA times. I was hoping we could swim some relays together at Zones this year, but she is out of the pool for awhile with a pinched nerve.

6. Right now, I guess my focus meet for SCY is Zones, though the order of events is terrible for me. I'm not going to Nationals ins Santa Clara -- too far, pool too crappy. LCM will be a bust for me, as it often is. I'm going to Europe for two weeks in late June-July and will be out of the pool. I haven't had good success at Nationals trying to come back after similar vacations. However, I may go to LCM Nationals at U of Md just to see friends and swim a few 50s for fun. In the short term, I have the Albatross meet in mid March.

7. Back to drylands -- I feel weak as a kitten and need to work on that! I plan to start seeing Ron D'Angelo, a trainer here, once a week to help get me on track and give me some new ideas.

8. I am still not adjusted to Pittsburgh. I constantly feel frustrated with the lack of facilities and the amount of driving I have to do to get there. It's been a month of swimming in a sh*tty pool with Pitt closed and it's starting to get very depressing. The brand new beautiful high school just opened up. 5 minutes from my house and only open to the public for adult lap swim M-Th from 9-10 pm. Not helpful ...

Belated Happy New Year everyone!!!

Updated January 5th, 2014 at 08:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  2. Wed., July 25

by , July 25th, 2012 at 09:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Snorkel Sets:

5 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    15 x 50 free @ 1:00
    8 x 50 chest press fly drill w/flip turn

50 EZ

Hypoxic MF Set:

10 x 50 double shooters @ 1:10

50 EZ

Total: 2600

Yoga, Bikram, 90 minutes

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just did a recovery workout in the pool after yesterday's speed work. I had just received my pink Finis snorkel in the mail, so decided to give it a whirl. It felt pretty awkward. It's, uh, rather difficult to streamline with after you've flipped. Speedo told me to forget streamlining, but it's my nature to SDK off walls. Today, I was getting my arms tangled up with the snorkel, it was twisting sideways, etc. Can you really not streamline much with it or is this a learned art? I also didn't feel like I was getting much air, but that's probably bc I'm not breathing normally with it yet. Fortunately, no one I knew was there to laugh at my efforts.

After the swim, I went to bikram for the first time in 5-6 months. I was lucky not to have a heat nazi instructor, so the temp was 105 instead of 110. Helpful, but I still had some trouble with it, and was whooped by the end of class. Or maybe by the 2/3 mark actually. I was shocked that I was pretty good at the balancing poses. I also don't seem to have lost any flexibility without bikram. Doing selected poses/stretches on my own may be sufficient.
    It's certainly more time effective. 90 minutes + drive is a huge time investment. I'm going to get myself to the vinyasa "power hour" at lunch sometime. 60 minutes may suit better, though the noon start time isn't ideal if I'm trying to get in 2 workouts. I think it would be difficult to get in anything but a recovery swim after that leg intensive class.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  3. Thursday & Friday, June 28-29

by , June 29th, 2012 at 05:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Thursday:

RC/scapula exercises, 20 min

Acupuncture/Cupping, 45 min

Friday:

RC/Scapula exercises, 20 min

Yoga/Stretching/Foam Roller, 30 min

Swim/SCY/Solo:

500 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    5 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:30
    50 EZ
    12 x 25
    odds = up tempo @ :30
    evens = EZ @ 1:00
    100 EZ

Total: 1500

Pretty dull last couple days. Taper workouts are so mindless. And they're so short I never have any sense of whether I have "easy speed" and hence don't bother worrying about it. Taper b*tchies have not made an appearance either. Maybe I'm too happy watching all the swimming and track & field. And now I get to be deliciously lazy with only Fort Son at home. I'm also not stepping foot outside except when necessary. It was 103 when I was driving home from the pool.

Just had a chuckle hearing Rowdy misstate the rule on when you can take the dolphin kick on breast. lol

Updated June 29th, 2012 at 05:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  4. Sunday, June 24

by , June 24th, 2012 at 05:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday:

30 minutes of RC and foam rolling

Sunday:

25-30 minutes RC/scapula exercises

30 minutes yoga/foam rolling

1000 EZ swim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just more recovery this weekend (as is typical of all my weekends). Only 11 days until Omaha, so I will be shifting into mega rest. Looking forward to a deep tissue massage on Tuesday. Hoping that may help the shoulder as well. It is somewhat odd to go backward once you're 3 sessions into PRP (at least that was my prior experience). I hope, god forbid, I haven't done something new and different to my shoulder or exacerbated the small labral tear.

I'm having a blast gorging myself on OT TV viewing in various sports! Tonight more track and field.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  5. Sunday, April 1

by , April 1st, 2012 at 05:26 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab exercises (30 min)
    cable twist w/yoga ball, 40 x 1 x 15 each side, then someone stole my machine
    explosive leg press, 190 x 3 x 12
    leg abductor, 90 x 3 x 12
    resisted side lunges, 40 x 2 x 15 each side
    resisted track start jumps, 40 x 1 x 15
    leg extensions, 70 x 3 x 10
    low row negatives, super light, 40 x 3 x 10
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    power wheel pike ups, 2 x 15
    captains chair leg raises, 20
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 2 x 8

Yoga/Stretching, 30-35 minutes

Addings some neck stretches in light of that injury.

Reduced weight today. Looks like Wed. will be my last day of drylands, though not of tedious rehab exercises.

Took yesterday off which was filled with kid events anyway. Teen Fort's boat won in regatta finals by almost 5 boat lengths. I think they will have a good year. She looks tiny rowing in the 4 seat of a heavyweight boat. But like her mommy she has a lot of power output for her size Lil Fort was a scoring maniac in her indoor soccer game. Then I came home to find that elitist Guthrie was being an ass and Stillwater was being a blowhard dick. (Looks around wonders once again if mods read blogs. Last time I cursed, it went unnoticed. ) They must be jealous that they can't think and execute like me! If more people did, they would swim faster faster, as Ande would say.

The PRP jabs feel better. I'll hit the pool tomorrow. May stick to mostly AFAP kicking for a couple days though.

Still don't know what to enter at Zones ... I am currently thinking of just swimming the 100 back and 100 breast. Possibly the 100 IM. I will probably opt out of the 100 free as free is the worst on my shoulder and probably don't want to use a "silver bullet" on that. Though I was intrigued by doing a lot of dolphin kick in it.

And I still await Jimby's public mea culpa ...

Updated April 1st, 2012 at 09:52 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  6. Friday, March 23

by , March 23rd, 2012 at 05:50 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab exercises (20 min)
    wide grip lat pulldown, 70 x 3 x 8
    explosive leg press, 270 x 3 x 12
    push press, 40 x 3 x 8
    overhead squats, 45 x 1 x 8, 55 x 2 x 8
    power squats, 210 x 3 x 8
    seated narrow grip row, 70 x 3 x 12
    knee tuck jumps, 3 x 6
    altitude drops, 2 x 8

Swim/SCM @ gym pool:

Only had about 40 minutes, so did a mini-speed set. I would have liked another 1000 of Garbagio, but had to rush off. Since I was in the pool almost 2 hours again yesterday, I still feel quite righteous.

450 various

5 x through:
    4 x 25 burst + cruise
    25 EZ
    -- various: free, fast hands breast, fast doggy paddle, dolphin, back spin

125 EZ

Total: 1200 m

Stretch/Yoga, 45 min

Did not neglect my stretching today!

Unlike Water Rat, , I'm looking forward to my day off tomorrow! It's a gorgeous spring day here. I wish gorgeous days weren't associated with allergy problems. The pollen count is very high here, and I can feel the effects.

Jimby signed up for Nationals today. So it looks like our Fort-Stud-Speedo-Jimby carpool down to NC is a go!
  7. Monday, March 19

by , March 19th, 2012 at 05:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 90 minutes

rehab exercises
    wide grip lat pulldown, 60 x 2 x 20
    leg extensions, 80 x 1 x 8, 100 x 1 x 8, 110 x 2 x 8
    resisted side lunges, 50 x 1 x 15 each side, 55 x 1 x 15 each side
    resisted track start jumps, 40 x 2 x 15
    good mornings, 65 x 1 x 12, 75 x 1 x 8, 80 x 2 x 8
    low row negatives, 60 x 3 x 8
    explosive leg press, 230 x 1 x 15, 250 x 2 x 15
    tricep press, 40 x 2 x 20
    altitude drops, 3 x 6
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15

Stretching/Yoga, 30 min

Back at it at the gym. Spent a long time there. But a good chunk was rehab exercises and I doddle between sets. No cardio involved in my drylands.

Vids are gone. Poof! Had a few on there of other folks too. No idea why. My phone just went crazy when I plugged it into the computer to download them.

Still pondering my Zones entries. I think I'm going minimalistic. I'll likely just do the 200 mixed and women's medley and free relays, 100 breast and 100 free. And maybe 50 fly. I can get a 50 free split leading off one or both of the free relays if I'm so inclined. (I always seem to go first on our relays.) That's still 6-7 events (plenty for me) and I just don't want to swim 8-10 events so close to Nats. I'd prefer some low key fun with my team and friends.

I checked my fly split from the medley relay and it really was 29.4. And that was with a safe start and 3 breaths. I'm not sure it was all that helpful to only take 1 breath ...

Updated March 19th, 2012 at 08:40 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  8. Sunday, March 11

by , March 11th, 2012 at 06:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym:

30 minutes rehab exercises

2 x 5 altitude drop from high box + squat jump

35 minutes foam roller, stretching, yoga

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Only time for a quick dip in the hot gym pool, which was happily 84 instead of the usual 86.

600 various

7 x 50 fly drills
    50 EZ

20 x 25 @ whatever
    odds = up tempo free w/fins
    evens = EZ
    50 EZ

3 x 50 burst dolphin kick + cruise
    50 EZ

Total: 1750 m

15 min hottub

Took yesterday off as per usual while Mr. Fort went on a 24 mile run. He's been struggling with injuries too; I'm amazed he could do it.

My shoulder/rhomboid area is feeling better. Predictably, I am now having some neck/trap issues. But I have a massage scheduled Tuesday and can hopefully get all the kinks out. This week I'm going to reprise my workouts from the week of Feb. 27 in prep for the Albatross meet.

I saw that KPN broke my WR in the 100 back SCM at French Nationals. She didn't say what her time was though. And I still have the NR because she is swimming with her French team. But I am swimming it this Saturday.

Speedo and Jimby have concocted a plan to go to Nationals in an RV. They are attempting to cajole Stud and me into joining this experiential expedition. As a non-college student and insomniac, I have demurred. Jimby is probably pitching a new article topic already ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  9. Friday, March 9

by , March 9th, 2012 at 04:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym:

30 minutes rehab exercises for the various twingey body parts

30 minutes foam roller/stretch/yoga

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

10 x 50 fly drills
    odds = caterpillar @ 1:10
    evens = single arm @ 1:00
    -- lap swimmer interrupted to ask what stroke I was doing. lol

10 x 25 DPK back shooters @ :40
    50 EZ

10 x 25 long breast pullouts @ :40
    50 EZ

8 x 25 DPK belly shooters @ :40
    50 EZ

8 x 25 no breath DPS free @ :40
    -- working on better head position
    50 EZ

Total: 2200

hottub, 20 min

I was supposed to meet up with Speedo today, but he was crammed at work. May have been for the best anyway. I was tired from 2 speed workouts (1 the meet) and a lactate workout since Sunday. Definitely due for a slow recovery workout. And my jabbed shoulders and back were still slightly sore.

After a couple weeks of waffling, I entered the Albatross Meet on March 17. I entered 100 fly (likely 50 split), 100 back, and 50 free. My thinking is that, after Warrenton, I want to crank out a fast rested (first event) 50 fly. I definitely want to swim one 100, and chose backstroke. It will be good practice in working on turnover for my 100 at Nats, which is a focus event there. 50 free is right at the end and I'll get to swim in the fast all girl heat. I will most likely do a lot of back SDKs off the turn unless I chicken out. But it seems like this would be a good time to experiment with that.

I'll probably do essentially the same workouts I did the 5 days before the Warrenton meet for this meet. Then, it's cram cram cram before taper time. I am pretty sure I do not need my usual 3 week taper with my revised training regimen. I'm not sure how I'll work around Zones with it only 2 weeks before Nats. I will likely resolve not to care about those times and swim off events and fun relays.

I have a scratchy throat, which I hope it not a prelude to some spring ailment. I'm hoping it's just the high pollen count. And I feel very bad for Fort Son. He's not getting any better, even feels worse, after taking a training break. He went in for a lyme test today, just to be safe. The freshman boat could be really hurting with him and another recruit down and out.

Updated March 9th, 2012 at 06:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  10. Thursday, Feb. 16

by , February 16th, 2012 at 05:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 90 min:

scapular/RC/elbow/ankle exercises
    flutter kicks on back on bosu, 2 x 100
    captains chair leg raises, 2 x 30, boom
    extreme angle step ups with BB, 30 x 3 x 10
    good mornings, 80 x 4 x 8
    leg abductors, 140 x 4 x 6
    explosive leg press, 270 x 4 x 12
    extreme angle squats with kettle balls and stacked steps (feet are elevated on the steps), 40 x 4 x 12 -- I like this one.
    seated rows negatives, very light, 50 x 2 x 15
    wide grip lat pulldowns, very light, 50 x 3 x 20
    altitude drops, 2 x 10

Bike, 30 minutes

Stretching, 30 minutes

Took yesterday off because, predictably, I was done in by the mega sprints + deep tissue. Had a productive day at the gym -- especially by lazy sprinter standards -- as a result. Broke down and did some very lights rows and pulldowns. (Shoulder and back pain is worse than elbow pain.) Tomorrow, I'm swimming with Speedo. But given his new "main sets" I may have to show up an hour early.
  11. Sunday, Jan. 8

by , January 8th, 2012 at 07:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC and ankle exercises
    power squats, 230 x 4 x 8
    triceps press, 25 x 3 x 25
    explosive leg press, 290 x 3 x 12
    wide(st) grip lat pulldown, 60 x 3 x 20
    box jumps, 2 x 20 (step down, no hop down)
    back extensions w/plate, 25 x 3 x 15
    yoga ball cable twist, 45 x 2 x 15 each side
    captains chair leg raises, 2 x 15
    power wheel roll outs, 2 x 20
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50

Bike, 20 minutes

-- just fat burning and to remove some lactic acid

Stretching/Yoga, 35 minutes:

-- used foam roller too

The 5 days since my last dryland session made it clear that my elbows are not ready for prime time yet. I just did some high rep triceps press, which I read were good for them, and dropped weight and did the widest grip lat pull down possible. I fear my upper body drylands will take a hit this season. I think I should probably lay off everything but what I did today for the next couple weeks. Perhaps lose fast paddle work as well. Kinda bummed. I had been hoping to shift my drylands into more explosive olympic style lifting. I feel no need to do cleans, but I like the idea of push press, jump shrugs, high pulls, snatch, etc.
  12. Wed., Jan. 4

by , January 4th, 2012 at 05:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Bikram yoga, 90 minutes

Due to travel, taper, injuries, I haven't been to bikram since Nov. 4 -- along two month hiatus. Of course, I have been stretching regularly since then. Flexibility -- very good. Heat tolerance -- much better than expected. Balance -- meh. I tried to be cautious of my ankle. It seemed pretty crowded for a 2:00 pm weekday class.

Bike, 30 minutes

I'd like to do a speed and lactate workout the next 2 days. Not sure which order I'm going to do them in.

In other news:

1. Fort Son swears by AMP, amplified muscle igniter pre-workout. Looks like a lot of caffeine to me.

2. Lil Fort and her classmates petitioned her school to use yoga balls instead of chairs at their desks. So now most of the class is bouncing/sitting on yoga balls with little feet. Kids ...

3. Mr. Fort bought me this shirt for xmas: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...72/pgid-416386. I'm wondering if I can wear it to the gym without looking like a complete jerk.

4. Mr. Fort is considering competing in the duathlon nationals, which are in this area, in June.

5. I also got the Paleo Diet for Athletes for xmas, which I will be interested to read.

6. New article on diet in WSJ says that calorie counters are right. Weight gain from excess calories is the same regardless of the composition of the diet in terms of protein, fat and carbs. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123559955210376029.html

Updated January 4th, 2012 at 07:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Spinning , Yoga
  13. NS, Sat., Dec. 3

by , December 3rd, 2011 at 07:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Spent another long day at a USAS meet. But I did come home and do a stretch/yoga for 40 minutes.

The bad news is that my elbows are really bothering me. They almost feel worse now after a week+ off weights. Enough to keep me awake part of last night. I was timing with a tennis pro at the meet, and quizzed him (and others too) about treatments for tennis elbow. I've also heard this problem can last some months. This is somewhat depressing. I haven't had anything but a very minor tweak in a few years. And it's purely the result of being stupid in the gym ... The elbows probably just need a lot of ice and rest, and I need to hunt down my old stim device.

In light of this, I'm going to be a NS at the Last Chance meet tomorrow. This is not a big deal. I was aiming for NE Champs anyway and can swim the 50 free there. So I'll just miss the 100 breast. It seems unwise to risk further inflaming things by doing the evil stroke right at this moment. The older you get, the smarter you get. After NE Champs, I will shift to 90% kick workouts for awhile. No problem there either!

Now I need to go do some of that stalking that pwb loves!

Updated December 4th, 2011 at 09:45 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga
  14. Monday, Nov. 14

by , November 14th, 2011 at 03:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50
    odds = caterpillar drill @ 1:15
    evens = single arm fly @ 1:00

8 x 25 shooters w/fins
    50 EZ

Main Sets:

12 x 25 burst @ 1:00
    -- At this point, it became clear to me that I wouldn't be sprinting today, so defaulted to easy aerobic work.
    50 EZ

5 x:
    100 IM smooth @ 2:00
    50 kick, 25 fast + 25 EZ @ 1:00

20 x 50 kick w/fins @ :45
    odds = dolphin kick
    evens = flutter kick
    -- held 29-32

100 EZ

8 x 25 breast kick

Total: 3600

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feeling much better cold wise. But I was fairly sore and tired today from Saturday drylands; may have overdone it a bit. So I shifted the speed workout until tomorrow. Also did not get as much sleep as usual this weekend with Lil Fort having an early soccer game Sat. and an early race on Sun. I was very proud of her; she ran 22:42 on a hilly 5K course with Mr. Fort. She was a little taken aback when a couple HS cross county runners (whom she beat) came up and asked her where she was going to high school.

I am also slightly worried about my elbows. They've been sore since I bumped the weights up on the deadlift (I find it amusing that my auto correct always wants to type this as deadliest) and hi row. I've never had a single issue with my elbows before, so I'm not sure what to make out of it. I may have to ratchet down the upper body weights somewhat for awhile and stop doing torque drills with paddles.

And just for kicks and inspired by Speedo, I went on myfitnesspal.com to see what it had to say about caloric intake. After putting in my info and stating I worked out 2 hours 6x week, it said I should be eating 1300 calories per day to lose 1 pound per week. I would freakin' starve on that!

And just to annoy Jazz, an article from NYT on athletes and aging:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/1...ough-exercise/. I found nothing stupid about it.

Updated November 14th, 2011 at 03:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  15. Wed., Oct. 19

by , October 19th, 2011 at 06:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

9 x 50 fly drill
    3 x caterpillar, chest press, single arm

Hypoxic/Aerobic Work:

12 x 25 shooters w/MF
    4 x back, belly, 360

3 x (5 x 50 double shooter w/MF @ 1:00)
    -- extra :30 after each round
    -- had some trouble with my laxto nose clip after the flip turns on some of these. Speedo must have stretched it out.

100 EZ

16 x 25 fly w/fins @ :35

50 EZ

Total: 2550

Bikram, 90 minutes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just did what Chowmi would call a "positioning" workout today. Getting ready for some more speed work tomorrow. Or, if I'm feeling tired in the am, I'll take an extra day off and do the speed workout on Friday. Going to eschew a lactate set this week -- too close to the SC. And I'm done with drylands. I fear boredom in the following days.

Didn't have any serious sinus issues today on the underwater bits, though I am am definitely suffering from allergies. Last year at this time, I had a sick taper for the SC. Spring and fall just kill me.

Had a heat nazi instructor today. She always has the heat up high. I wish I knew when she was teaching so that I could avoid her classes. I suffered miserably the last 20 minutes. I wish there were an option for slightly shorter classes as there are in other places. Surprisingly, though, did very well on the balancing postures.

Swimming New from Pan Ams:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ords&mid=50948
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...-Fall&mid=5094
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...peal&mid=50949

Breathing:

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/...spiratory.html

Updated October 19th, 2011 at 09:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  16. Monday, Oct. 17

by , October 17th, 2011 at 06:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

9 x 50 fly drills
    3 x caterpillar, chest press, single arm
    10 x 25 shooters
    -- Really weird. I was getting a sharp pain above my right eye when I was under on my back. Had to surface early a couple times. WTH?
    -- decided not to do planned timed UW swims

Speed Sets:

8 x 50 w/paddles
    odds = DPS free @ 1:00
    evens = double arm torque drill @ 1:15
    50 EZ

3 x (50 AFAP fly w/fins + 150 EZ)
    -- went low to mid 24s
    -- fly DPS seems better

3 x (25 AFAP free + 75 EZ)

6 x 25 free w/parachutes & paddles

50 EZ

Total: 2950

Stretching/Yoga, 40 minutes

Feeling kinda tired. I can tell I'm really due for a recovery week. Was glad I could get in some fast 50s despite that. Fly feels good!

I entered the Sprint Classic. Planned my happiness jaunt with Teen Fort. Now I have to start looking for flights to NE Champs with my United credit.

There was some fast swimming at Pac Masters Champs and the Rowdy Gaines meet last weekend. Cool that Natalie Coughlin swam in a masters meet, even if only exhibition.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  17. Sept. 25-26

by , September 26th, 2011 at 04:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Sunday:

Bikram, 90 minutes

In case someone missed PWB's comment ... Here is a vid explaining why Texas women use bikram in their training: http://www.texassports.com/allaccess/?media=265349

Swim: 30 minutes slow

Monday:

Drylands:

RC exercises
    HS hi row, 110 x 3 x 20
    skull crushers, 40 x 3 x 15
    assisted dips (20 lb assist), 1 x 10, 2 x 8
    Cavic horizontal fly raise, 3 x 30
    abductor machine, 120 x 3 x 10
    explosive leg press, 270 x 2 x 10, 290 x 1 x 10
    lower back machine, 120 x 2 x 15
    box jumps, 10
    knee tuck jumps 2 x 10
    standing jumps from track start position, 10
    med ball slams, 5 minutes

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 single arm fly
    6 x 25 shooters

Speed Sets:

4 x 50 done as:
    -- standing broad jump from side of pool to bottom, squat jump off bottom dolphin kicking hard, fast eggbeater kick to mid-pool and then cruise to wall. when hit the wall, 10 second AFAP flutter kick, then right into backstroke start and fast dolphin kicks to 15 m, then cruise in.
    -- very hard

100 EZ

Pyramid 50 frees @ 2:00
    AFAP breakout & 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3 fast strokes + cruise

100 EZ

8 x 25 w/fins & parachute
    -- burst dolphin kick to 15 m and cruise

100 EZ

Total: 2300

Feeling pretty tired after today's effort, which was just about power and top speed. Forgot to bring something to munch on in car between workouts. Felt it some in the pool.

Had a trying weekend. Teenage daughters are a huge pita.
  18. Lazy Weekend, Aug 20-21

by , August 21st, 2011 at 07:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Spent a good chunk of the weekend watching swimming and chatting with friends at the Terrapin Cup at U of Md. Though it was a small meet, there were some very fast swims. Yesterday after the meet, I went with a friend to bikram yoga and dinner. Today, I went out to lunch after the meet with PV swimmer buddies and got caught in a deluge on the beltway. Had to then hustle to the grocery store and other errands before all family gets home tonight. I miss my Lil Fort after having her gone for a week!

Going to cram lots of workouts in the next 3 days and then go on a short trip to Rochester, MN -- my home town -- to visit my brother and his family for a few days. Mom Fort will also be there. I haven't been to my home town in ages; expect it to feel rather time warpy. My brother is intent on me doing his Insanity DVDs with him. I have warned him no warrior dashes or barefoot running (his current obsession) for me! The pool I swam in as a age grouper is still there. However, I cannot seem to find any bikram studios. This is the closest I can find: http://breatheyogastudios.com/. I'm wondering what hot detox yoga is ... Will have to call and inquire.

And Jeff Commings is blogging his path to the Olympic Trials. Should be good reading: http://commings.blogspot.com/.
    Categories
    Yoga
  19. Hodgepodge, Thursday, Aug. 18

by , August 18th, 2011 at 10:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    ART, 30 minutes:

My ART doc really beat up my right shoulder and trap. Ouch! And I was too busy to ice it until now.

Bike, 30 minutes:

Some non-swimming fat burning. Wanted to do another 30 minutes, but got distracted.

RC & Holds:

RC exercises, 15 minutes

extreme angle isometric holds:

The 5 basic ones are: push up, bicep/tricep, squat, and lunge. The theory behind extreme angle isometrics is: http://theorytopractice.wordpress.co...on-isolations/

I've done the extreme angle squat and extreme angle step ups (not a hold) off and on. I am mulling over making a commitment to these holds this season. The downside: as the article notes, they're deadly boring and I don't tolerate boredom well. The up side: more explosiveness and fast twitch.

I didn't do the push up hold today b/c of my right shoulder. But I did:

squat hold: 5:00
    lunge left leg forward: 1:30
    lunge right leg forward: 1:30
    bicep/tricep w/ 5 lb DBs: 3:00

The lunges are torture when you're in an extreme angle. Lots of room for improvement there. Once you get to 5 minutes, you add weight and start over.

Bikram, 90 minutes:

Had to go at 8:00 pm tonight and it was packed again. I wish they would adjust the heat when it's so crowded. I took a precautionary break during the tree/toe stand posture (my least favorite b/c it seems somewhat dumb) to ensure no repeat of nauseousness. My studio has added a 10:00 pm class on Tuesday nights. Maybe that would be better!

Mulling over what my dryland plan will be for the fall. Suggestions?
  20. Tuesday, July 19

by , July 19th, 2011 at 06:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

15 minutes of RC exercises

30-35 minutes of stretching, yoga, foam roller

@ Pool:

1500 easy -- easy swimming, single arm 50s, shooters, 25s no breather free, etc.

hottub -- not as appealing in the summer with the sun overhead!

Commentary:

Just an easy boring day for me. Sprinting (I hope) with Speedo tomorrow.

One more day and I'll be at the 2 week taper mark. I've been wondering whether I should repeat the exact workouts I did before the Albatross meet. But there seems like such a difference between SCM and LCM ... I kicked between 50-60% of my fly-back races in short course, and can't do that now obviously. I suppose there's not much I can do about the arm fatigue I'll get at the end of my LC races at this juncture.

I'm not bored yet. But I'm sure one more week of swimming only will cause some taper angst. At least I won't have any stress about outside lanes this time.

The timeline for Auburn looks great! No event before noon. I believe I get in early enough on Wed. night to swim in the competition pool, if it's open.

More on pain relievers:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...JMI_story.html

Updated July 20th, 2011 at 03:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast