Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by sglines
    Hope you feel better Leslie...For me I felt out of sorts at Nationals...All that training and didn't rip all the time I wanted...was really disappointed.....Any how a few corrections and back to training..which I love...You continue to be so inspiring...human...real and amazing....so I continue to train and dream thank you!!
    Never stop dreaming!

We are all human. Sometimes those human frailties, errors, misjudgments get in the way of our goals. Sometimes repeatedly. All we can do is be pissed/disappointed/upset for a short time and then move on. Resilience is the key to life, and success in the end. And training is really what keeps us healthy anyway -- so it's good that you love it!
    Hope you feel better Leslie...For me I felt out of sorts at Nationals...All that training and didn't rip all the time I wanted...was really disappointed.....Any how a few corrections and back to training..which I love...You continue to be so inspiring...human...real and amazing....so I continue to train and dream thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You both did terrific.

with all the adversity you did amazingly well Fort.

RAM is very lucky to have both of you on our team. I really wish I could have made the meet. Congratulations guys.
    Thanks Stewart. I've had quite enough of character building at this point. In retrospect, I probably pushed my body too much during the last couple months. Knowing when to ease up doesn't seem to be our forte.

It was a very well run meet at a great facility.
    You both did terrific.

with all the adversity you did amazingly well Fort.

RAM is very lucky to have both of you on our team. I really wish I could have made the meet. Congratulations guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Fort, you were such a competitor to push through. Onward and forward for sure.
    Couldn't have done it without you! Thx for the support and camaraderie!
    Fort, you were such a competitor to push through. Onward and forward for sure.
    Thanks for posting the psych sheets. At least on the men's side, the competition looks quite robust. I definitely need to get myself up to a Canuck Nats some year.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I don't envy what gals must go through donning tech suits, even if the suits might be negligibly faster. Jammers have taken me up to 10 minutes to slip in, can't imagine squeezing my entire body in one.

Hope you defeat this cold soon. 2G a day of Vitamin C, chicken soup, and hot baths does the trick for me
    Yeah, tech suits are not really meant to go over the hips of women as compared to teenage girls.

I've tried everything. My right ear has been hurting for 6 weeks and now my throat is very sore. I have an appt with my dr tomorrow.
    I don't envy what gals must go through donning tech suits, even if the suits might be negligibly faster. Jammers have taken me up to 10 minutes to slip in, can't imagine squeezing my entire body in one.

Hope you defeat this cold soon. 2G a day of Vitamin C, chicken soup, and hot baths does the trick for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    Fort, a question. What are you doing in practice now that is different than, say, three years ago, and why?
    Off the top of my head, I'd say:

1. More swimming, fewer kick sets. This probably helps the swim portions of my races. Basically, I think that I have plenty of leg endurance, so don't really need to do as many dedicated kick sets. Plus, I do a lot UW kicking as part of my swimming. I could certainly do more flutter kicking though ... my flutter kick sucks in comparison to my dolphin kick.

2. Fewer AFAP 50s and virtually no lactate production sets. I'm pretty allergic to that latter. I'n not sure why I've drifted away from my former favorite 5 x 50 AFAP set. Perhaps all the USRPT sets.

3. Way more modified USRPT type sets. I find these to be a fairly pleasant way to train for 100s. I think the USRPT type focus has also allowed me to do more hard workouts and fewer recovery workouts.

4. Changed my backstroke start and have worked on that in practice, which is prolly the only reason I was able to take a few tenths off my 50 back record. Previously, I did an arms to the side start. Now, I've switched to arms straight back over the head. So I'm going deeper and not flat backing my starts as much.

5. I've been doing a lot more breaststroke in practice and changed my pull. I could stand to work on my breaststroke kick. I can see from the video that it is way too wide.

However, remember that I really wasn't doing all that well competitively, relatively speaking, for 2.5 years after moving in July 2013. After a bunch of crap and injuries, I didn't get back into gear until last fall.
    Updated May 8th, 2016 at 08:59 PM by The Fortress
    Fort, a question. What are you doing in practice now that is different than, say, three years ago, and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by SunaFish
    Leslie, you swam very well considering the conditions you were up against. I'm happy you enjoyed the comradery of your swimming friends and in the end isn't that is why we keep doing this? You are a BAD ASS so don't let the TURKEYS get you down!!!!!
    From one bad ass to another! Hope to see you at a meet this summer, my friend. Congrats on your fast swims.

Exceedingly Bizarro wild turkeys are contra-indicated for swim meet fun.
    Leslie, you swam very well considering the conditions you were up against. I'm happy you enjoyed the comradery of your swimming friends and in the end isn't that is why we keep doing this? You are a BAD ASS so don't let the TURKEYS get you down!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Glad I was able to finally see you and catch up on Sunday - though I had seen many of your swims, it was more fun to talk with you. I'm sorry that the weekend didn't turn out as well as you would've liked; hopefully, your lungs will be free and clear up in the Great White North.
    I felt like a midget standing between you and Stewart! Congrats again on the great 1000 and 400 IM. The family reunion sounded really lovely too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Nice swims Leslie. Hopefully the allergies and asthma let up soon and before heading north. I've been afraid to try a dolphin kick in br pull out, because i would easily forget and do more than one. Great 100 br, how did you split it? 50 frees were great too.
    I hope they let up soon too. It's like having a freaking disability ...

It's very easy to double dolphin in breaststroke. And breaststroke has the most DQs of any stroke. I like to do the dolphin kick while in a streamline before pulling down bc it's faster. However, it is difficult to pull down hard and not undulate somewhat. You have to stay super tight, and it's easy to screw up. I know quite a few people who just do the dolphin kick during the pulldown bc, even if slower, it negates the risk of undulation later.

My splits on the 100 breast were 34.7 and 39.0, so about 4 seconds apart. That's decent splitting for a race involving open turns, for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Great job, Fort! I was able to watch some video of your races - that 100 breast was a beauty. Happy that you made it and were able to spend time with friends.
    Thanks Mike! Yes, it was a close race and nice to come out on top. And it's always good to see swim friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Great meet, Leslie. Excellent blog, too, though you judge yourself (as all the great ones do!) too harshly. Good luck at Canadian Nationals!
    Thanks son. Eh, I've done better times on less rest. I was just a bit discombobulated all weekend. I think it's hard to maintain mental focus if you're not feeling that well.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I watched the 50 back you swam, it was awesome!

Just curious, do you peak forward prior to the fr turn or do you rely solely on the bottom mark?
    Thanks Steve. I always look. But the markings at GAC were different than usual -- just the straight line instead of a T. Maybe that's what gave us fits on our turns.
    Glad I was able to finally see you and catch up on Sunday - though I had seen many of your swims, it was more fun to talk with you. I'm sorry that the weekend didn't turn out as well as you would've liked; hopefully, your lungs will be free and clear up in the Great White North.
    Nice swims Leslie. Hopefully the allergies and asthma let up soon and before heading north. I've been afraid to try a dolphin kick in br pull out, because i would easily forget and do more than one. Great 100 br, how did you split it? 50 frees were great too.
Page 1 of 885 123451151101501 ... LastLast