Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    I know you don't do mornings, but.....could you nap in the afternoon? That is how I got myself acclimated to waking up at the butt crack of dawn.
    That's what my daughter suggested too. I really don't think I could do it. I am too much of a night owl. It's difficult to reset your clock, and the body (according to research I've read) wants to sleep later than you want to get up. I'd quit masters swimming rather than swim at 5:30 am.

Maybe I can work it all out, I just am too overwhelmed to think that's it's doable right now. F*ck the bureaucrats.
    I know you don't do mornings, but.....could you nap in the afternoon? That is how I got myself acclimated to waking up at the butt crack of dawn.
    I'll keep it in mind. It's going to be a very rough September with so many high school programs not starting ... And there is literally nowhere but Sewy for me to swim in the day. I can't give up my family life. I just don't know if it's worth it snymore. I'm too frustrated with the swimming situation. Sorry to be so negative.
    CV Masters start back Sept 8.
    $5 Drop in for Masters; $2 for rec swim. at CV

Bethel also offers dedicated lap swimming (no noodlers) Mon and Wed 8:30-9:30

South Fayette offers Adult lap swmming on Saturdays 11:45-2:00 and Mon & thurs evenings 7:45-9 pm. $5
    I see Bethel is also open 2:30-4:30 on the weekend. If it's not really overcrowded, that could be a good option for me.

I'll definitely be at CV in October when they re-start. When does the Tues-Thur night masters program begin?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    that is a shame that you had to resign! If you can't get access to the pool during the day, then you had no other option.
    Nope, and I think all my swimmers will understand that.
    that is a shame that you had to resign! If you can't get access to the pool during the day, then you had no other option.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks! Right now, I plan to try a combo of Pitt, Sewy and CV at night when I'm done coaching. Gave Jen 4 weeks notice. But I can't just swim at night or I would never see my family ... I understand that Bethel Park HS has weekend hours from 2:30-4:00 as well. I wish Lebo had weekend hours ...

Does CV take drop ins? No need to sign up for package?
    $5 Drop in for Masters; $2 for rec swim. at CV

Bethel also offers dedicated lap swimming (no noodlers) Mon and Wed 8:30-9:30

South Fayette offers Adult lap swmming on Saturdays 11:45-2:00 and Mon & thurs evenings 7:45-9 pm. $5
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    CV...just try it...rec swim starts in October...7-9 at night plus cv masters is in the pm
    email John
    coachjohn@cvswimclub.com
    Thanks! Right now, I plan to try a combo of Pitt, Sewy and CV at night when I'm done coaching. Gave Jen 4 weeks notice. But I can't just swim at night or I would never see my family ... I understand that Bethel Park HS has weekend hours from 2:30-4:00 as well. I wish Lebo had weekend hours ...

Does CV take drop ins? No need to sign up for package?
    Updated September 3rd, 2015 at 01:32 PM by The Fortress
    CV...just try it...rec swim starts in October...7-9 at night plus cv masters is in the pm
    email John
    coachjohn@cvswimclub.com
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I can't believe that they wouldn't let you swim right after you coach masters.
    I went to Pitt, ages ago, and remember swimming in a pool (up on the hill, across from the football stadium). Most afternoons and evenings there was hardly a soul there. Heck I think I was the only one swimming a few times.
    Is there that much demand for pool use from students, faculty, and staff now?

I do know that the college I graduated from does let nearly anyone swim there. Free for students, faculty, and staff. People who live nearby can get some sort of pass. And for everyone else, I think it is a whopping $2.

I guess you'll just need to take more vacations to places where you can just swim the whole time
    No, they definitely won't. It is the same pool, and there is no demand. There are literally about 2-5 swimmers for 15+ lanes when I go to rec swim. It is incomprehensible that they do not sell memberships to the public. The college that I swam at in NoVa did ... I am clearly going to be a casualty of some super obsessed bureaucrat in the Sandusky era. It is beyond frustrating. I will miss swimming at Pitt and I will really miss coaching my swimmers. This situation could so easily have been avoided. For example, by adopting a policy that said "no one from the public can go to rec swim except regular Team Pitt employees." Very frustrated, since I have swum there for 2 years.
    Updated September 2nd, 2015 at 08:47 PM by The Fortress
    I can't believe that they wouldn't let you swim right after you coach masters.
    I went to Pitt, ages ago, and remember swimming in a pool (up on the hill, across from the football stadium). Most afternoons and evenings there was hardly a soul there. Heck I think I was the only one swimming a few times.
    Is there that much demand for pool use from students, faculty, and staff now?

I do know that the college I graduated from does let nearly anyone swim there. Free for students, faculty, and staff. People who live nearby can get some sort of pass. And for everyone else, I think it is a whopping $2.

I guess you'll just need to take more vacations to places where you can just swim the whole time
    That will definitely be Pitt's loss. Everybody I ever encountered spoke very highly of your practices and coaching ability.
    Thank you, that means a lot. I am ridiculously distraught at the idea of leaving my swimmers ... I have so enjoyed coaching all of them, and have gotten many of them of diverse abilities back into competition. I guess the powers that be at Pitt in the Sandusky era think all coaches are fungible. I really feel like I have no choice given their hard line. Really sad right now.
    Updated September 2nd, 2015 at 08:35 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    OMGoodness! This totally is redonkulous! Surely there has to be some kind of decent pool somewhere in the city?!! I agree with what the others have said, consider joining a USAS team & just train once a day with them. I'm sure you would put many of them to shame. So so sorry for your rotten news & rotten day.
    Thanks Celestial, I appreciate it. I am going to have to get creative with my swims and become a pool tourist. I am not up for swimming with a USAS team. I really could not keep up with them bc I am a wimpy sprinter to the core.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    But I will probably resign with a month's notice on Friday.
    That will definitely be Pitt's loss. Everybody I ever encountered spoke very highly of your practices and coaching ability.
    OMGoodness! This totally is redonkulous! Surely there has to be some kind of decent pool somewhere in the city?!! I agree with what the others have said, consider joining a USAS team & just train once a day with them. I'm sure you would put many of them to shame. So so sorry for your rotten news & rotten day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    How terrible, and ridiculous. Decent swim facilities in Pittsburgh really are scarce.
    The only two decent pools (Pitt and CMU) are not open to the public ... And most masters teams except Pitt practice around 5:30 am. It's a depressing situation for an actual city.

I did have them put your name on the roster. They say they will eventually get around to issuing guest passes for all people on the roster.
    Updated September 2nd, 2015 at 08:24 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson
    #1 Move to Arizona #2 Sell your body to pay for pool. I would quit if I lived out East. Sorry for your troubles. Hope something works out for you. Don't sell your body...it hasn't been worth it for me.
    That was the first time I've cracked a smile in a couple days ... thanks.
    How terrible, and ridiculous. Decent swim facilities in Pittsburgh really are scarce.
    #1 Move to Arizona #2 Sell your body to pay for pool. I would quit if I lived out East. Sorry for your troubles. Hope something works out for you. Don't sell your body...it hasn't been worth it for me.
Page 1 of 867 123451151101501 ... LastLast