Blog Comments

Sorry about the elbow. The exercises you posted in my blog have been a huge help. I hope you start to feel good soon.

I used to hate it when my club coach would tell us we were having a hard day tomorrow or explain a hard set. I used to get quite worked up over it. Then he let me into a little secret and that was he was testing us. He said that to be a great distance swimmer you had to focus on the here and now and not worry about things you can't control. This was a huge lesson and something I have tried living by. Live in the here and now and only worry about things I can control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    With a dip belt or what?
    No, these are seated on a dip machine. It's like a reverse shrug. I don't do regular dips -- too hard on the fragile shoulders.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    90 = the amount of weight. I do this as a scapular strengthening exercise.
    With a dip belt or what?
    Several threads dedicated to elbow bursitis on the Forums, this is probably the best:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=elbow

The article referred to has an expired link message but further down the page there is a link to it called "Dodgy Elbows."
    Thanks, I will check that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I too have the elbow problem. According to Google mine is golfers elbow. I hope it gets better soon.

I signed up for nationals and the event layout is tough for me to do every thing I wanted to do and had to pick and choose.
    Yes, I have the "golfer's elbow" syndrome too. What exercises are you doing for it? I may have to start some if it doesn't go away soon. I haven't had pain in that particular area before, though have experienced "tennis elbow." I think I will have to really lay off any paddle work (not that I do very much).
    Sacre bleu! 54 25s on mostly short rest at either 100 pace or AFAP?? Plus 8 more NB? What on earth got into you? That's unbelievable, at least to me. Cant imagine that much sprinting. Were those USRPT 25s with no equipment?

Also I have been wondering, on those straight arm dips, what is the "90"?

I'm sure you're an old hand at ibuprofen, but be careful "slamming"...one of my teammates burned a hole in his stomach doing that too often.
    The modified USRPT type set was with fins and, remember, in a 23.6 yard pool so the :40 interval was a little easier than normal. I almost always use fins on fly and I thought my elbow could use some fin support today. With the built in breaks and fins, it wasn't that hard to get through (lots of kicking). But as I said, I couldn't see my all times to really assess whether I was maintaining 100 pace throughout. I was pretty dead after the 10 x 25 AFAP (no fins). It's really one of the only lactate productions sets that I do. Doing 10 x 50 AFAP @ 3:00 ala Rich Abrahams hasn't appealed to much ... One day perhaps.

90 = the amount of weight. I do this as a scapular strengthening exercise.

I almost never take ibuprofen, partly because of that risk. But I figure I can do 800 mg per dose for 48 hours if it is a very infrequent practice. I am really hoping I just strained something. It seemed to start hurting a couple days after my last set of RDLs. I may have to get some straps if I want to continue that exercise.
    Updated February 4th, 2016 at 10:05 AM by The Fortress
    Several threads dedicated to elbow bursitis on the Forums, this is probably the best:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=elbow

The article referred to has an expired link message but further down the page there is a link to it called "Dodgy Elbows."
    I too have the elbow problem. According to Google mine is golfers elbow. I hope it gets better soon.

I signed up for nationals and the event layout is tough for me to do every thing I wanted to do and had to pick and choose.
    Sacre bleu! 54 25s on mostly short rest at either 100 pace or AFAP?? Plus 8 more NB? What on earth got into you? That's unbelievable, at least to me. Cant imagine that much sprinting. Were those USRPT 25s with no equipment?

Also I have been wondering, on those straight arm dips, what is the "90"?

I'm sure you're an old hand at ibuprofen, but be careful "slamming"...one of my teammates burned a hole in his stomach doing that too often.
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Ouch! My shoulders hurt just reading this. I've never tried kicking with both fins and a bouy. I need to give it a try.
    Nice job!
    Well, I was doing the fly with fins, which de-weights the shoulders. I would never attempt that set without them!

Plus, my 100 pace fly tends to be 7 kicks + 4 strokes per length. So not a ridiculous # of strokes altogether.
    Ouch! My shoulders hurt just reading this. I've never tried kicking with both fins and a bouy. I need to give it a try.
    Nice job!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I hope you feel better and good luck on Sunday. I am sure you'll do awesome. Have fun.
    Not going. My cold/queasiness turned into a full blown stomach thing last night. Plus, Lil Fort had the same thing. Not much sleep occurred in my house last night. I think it's going to take awhile to recover fully ... a waste of decent rest.
    I hope you feel better and good luck on Sunday. I am sure you'll do awesome. Have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Buffalo has some good pools to race in but It is never cheap to fly up there from PHL and I don't want to do the Buffalo drive in the winter. that is a shame about the flights being cancelled over some, I don't know, flurries, .
    I find people here in Pitt to be very squeamish about weather, and poor drivers in snow. You'd think they'd be more used to it ... I'm driving up, not flying. I think the drive should be fine, though it could be very blustery around Erie.
    Buffalo has some good pools to race in but It is never cheap to fly up there from PHL and I don't want to do the Buffalo drive in the winter. that is a shame about the flights being cancelled over some, I don't know, flurries, .
    I didn't really mean swim doubles. I'd never do that. But I would like to be able to do weights plus a swim more often.
    Yea, I do those occasionally. For fun I just paged through my flog and discovered that during 2015 I did 32 doubles. I was astounded it was that many, but no swim doubles. Mostly a dryland session + swim or a bike ride + swim, and virtually all during the summer, of course, since I am an academic. Good health and time, need more of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Maybe not doubles, but when I get to the pool I want to GO, not paddle around like a wounded duck, grrrr.
    I had the wounded duck feeling today ... not fun.

I didn't really mean swim doubles. I'd never do that. But I would like to be able to do weights plus a swim more often.
    Updated January 14th, 2016 at 10:47 PM by The Fortress
    Now that I have more time, I would doubles every day if I could. Haha. On the rare day that I do a double, it floors me.
    Maybe not doubles, but when I get to the pool I want to GO, not paddle around like a wounded duck, grrrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    You too eh!? This phenomenon has been really exasperating me recently. Since when did my body get the right to dictate how hard/often I can train? I thought that responsibility fell to my brain.
    It's completely annoying. There are lazy people everywhere. We (on the other hand) are super motivated and yet can't train to the extent of our motivation ... Now that I have more time, I would doubles every day if I could. Haha. On the rare day that I do a double, it floors me.
    As always, the mind wants to do more than the body wants to do!
    You too eh!? This phenomenon has been really exasperating me recently. Since when did my body get the right to dictate how hard/often I can train? I thought that responsibility fell to my brain.
Page 1 of 879 123451151101501 ... LastLast