Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Its that time of the year where lots of people are getting sick. Get well soon.
    Yes, lots of sick folks here. I was getting a cold before I left for Paris. I thought it was just a cold, but I haven't felt well since the flight back. Flying with sinus issues is a bear, and I've had a headache ever since. I did go the dr last night and got augmentin. Hopefully, it is not just viral and that will help kick it.
    Its that time of the year where lots of people are getting sick. Get well soon.
    The FBI clearance is the one with the fingerprints, and is the expensive one. The other 2 are good for 2 years from the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    I need these too for the rec center to teach 1 hr adult fitness swimming 2xs a week...you have to get fingerprints in Washington pa ....one is good for three years though..I think it's the federal clearance..

PITA...
    I wish! I was told last Sept. that I have to get them every year. I don't know why I have to get the annually when the law says every 3 years ... A true PITA. And again, why should you have to get them for an adult swim class?!
    I need these too for the rec center to teach 1 hr adult fitness swimming 2xs a week...you have to get fingerprints in Washington pa ....one is good for three years though..I think it's the federal clearance..

PITA...
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    I had to get the clearances to volunteer to help with the HS musical. In a pinch, give me a call. May as well get my money's worth.
    Thanks Jennifer. It is definitely not cheap to get all the certifications, especially every year.
    I had to get the clearances to volunteer to help with the HS musical. In a pinch, give me a call. May as well get my money's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    That's such a stupid rule. I recall I had to get cleared to enter my daughter's pre-school to read a 10 minute story to the class. was such a pain.
    Next thing you know, they'll require masters swimmers to get cleared to swim at the same time as Age Groupers.
    Can't you just have Carter or Stacey sub for you while they're already on deck? Or have a masters swimmer stay on deck for a set or two and swithch off?
    Lately it seems that Carter and Stacey are not both there for the age group practice, just one of them.

No, having masters swimmers on deck without certifications does not work. I got in trouble while in Paris for having Jim Skirboll on deck, a coach who likely has the qualifications, because they weren't on file with Pitt. So I have no idea what I'm going to do for the summer. Bill White, who subbed for me last summer, doesn't have the qualifications either.
    That's such a stupid rule. I recall I had to get cleared to enter my daughter's pre-school to read a 10 minute story to the class. was such a pain.
    Next thing you know, they'll require masters swimmers to get cleared to swim at the same time as Age Groupers.
    Can't you just have Carter or Stacey sub for you while they're already on deck? Or have a masters swimmer stay on deck for a set or two and swithch off?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Do those rules apply if you are a volunteer coach and not *officially* a substitute coach?

I have often thought it would be fun to coach IRL, but my travel schedule just won't permit it. If I ever do have a stable travel (or lack of travel schedule), but there were regulations that made it onerous, that would be a bummer.

No Nationals for you, right?
    No, the rule regarding certifications applies to anyone on deck ever. I think it's onerous to impose it on masters coaches, but the rationale is that there are kids in the water when I am coaching my masters. Since I never even go in the locker room, I would argue that the masters swimmers are more of an abstract threat to the kids than I am as a master coach. Since I do not "work" with kids, I think I should be exempt. But such is the legacy of Sandusky. It just makes life difficult. You can't call in sick, have an emergency or go on vacation if there are no subs. I may well be in the position of quitting my job to go on vacation or giving up an already paid for vacation to keep my job -- which seems beyond absurd.

I am planning on going to nationals, but purely for the fun of it (as it's not the ideal venue or tie for me). That's why I joined Stewart's team with Mark. Hopefully, Mark can have some great mens relays and Mark and I can have some great mixed relays. I did not let the specter of nationals affect my Paris trip of course.
    Do those rules apply if you are a volunteer coach and not *officially* a substitute coach?

I have often thought it would be fun to coach IRL, but my travel schedule just won't permit it. If I ever do have a stable travel (or lack of travel schedule), but there were regulations that made it onerous, that would be a bummer.

No Nationals for you, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    From my POV, this is a huge problem with USRPT. I can't imagine doing the same sets all the time. I realize I have some sprinter ADD, but I think, mentally, athletes need some semblance of variety in their training. I know you like race simulation specialization, but if you had to do 100 AFAP every single workout, you might want to take some time off after awhile.
    Totally. I really only do it in season, which is to say when prepping for competition. And I'm sure as hell not doing it every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    burnout
    From my POV, this is a huge problem with USRPT. I can't imagine doing the same sets all the time. I realize I have some sprinter ADD, but I think, mentally, athletes need some semblance of variety in their training. I know you like race simulation specialization, but if you had to do 100 AFAP every single workout, you might want to take some time off after awhile.
    That's a nice article, especially the bit about burnout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Tylenol PM is my best friend on overseas travel. and the first swim after landing puts the slug in sluggish. it's good to get it out of the way though.
    Tylenol PM does squat for me. Likewise ambien. My body just doesn't like planes.

I'll probably feel better next week. The first few days back are a bit rough, for sure. If I hadn't been up for 28 hours, it would have been easier.
    Tylenol PM is my best friend on overseas travel. and the first swim after landing puts the slug in sluggish. it's good to get it out of the way though.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Welcome back. So glad you had a fun time. i always find a trip like the one you described helps out lots of things in perspective and somehow I come back more energized despite it being an exhausting trip. I am glad you made it home safe and sound despite the travel challenges.
    Energized and overstimulated. It's an odd combo really. I'm still a little hazy from lack of sleep, but that should pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by sglines
    I knew you would have trouble sleeping on the plane...That was so tough!!1 Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos. they tempted me to return!!
    I got on the plane at 4:10 Paris time. Since I had adjusted, there was no way I was going to sleep at that time. Though I didn't sleep much on the way over either. Planes and sleep don't mix well for me.

I can't wait to go back again! It's my favorite city.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    but, more importantly, the social/emotional/intellectual benefits of absorbing Paris are well worth the time off from the pool.
    Yes! It was wonderful. But now I need a vacation from my vacation.
    I knew you would have trouble sleeping on the plane...That was so tough!!1 Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos. they tempted me to return!!
Page 1 of 856 123451151101501 ... LastLast