Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by dhmartin
    I think that's probably right. I wouldn't want to go multiple seasons without lifting or kicking.
    I read somewhere recently (maybe Swimming World?) that Andrew Seliskar (couple years older than Andrews) does 30 x 25 burst SDK almost every practice. He has killer SDKs in short course. The fact that it's a kick set doesn't negate the neural patterning effect, IMO.
    Updated August 31st, 2014 at 10:59 AM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Ah good, I am usually doing less than 30 as well. I'm not sure his rigorous guidelines really apply to masters our age anyway.

I know he deems kick sets worthless. I do notice that Andrew's kick and SDK are the worst part of his races though ... And, I am a kicker, so fully intend to keep doing my kick sets. With bicep tendonitis, I don't have much choice for awhile. I wonder if dropping kick sets doesn't have an immediate impact, but might have a cumulative effect over time? As an analogy, when I dropped weights (which Rushall also disdains) for 8+ months last year, it didn't have an immediate impact. But at the end of that period, I was having trouble finishing my races and had better swims after going back to lifting.
    I think that's probably right. I wouldn't want to go multiple seasons without lifting or kicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    I didn't "drop" kick sets this past season, but I did a lot less kicking than in the past 2 years. While I don't think it hurt my top speed, I do think it negatively impacted my ability to do multiple events in a short time period.
    Yes, I've always felt, intuitively, that investing in kicking helps you close races and not die over multiple races.
    Lesser--just 10x25 at most--and it's not formally USRPT, because I don't incorporate the failure aspect that Rushall insists upon. You probably know he also deems kick sets mostly worthless. Historically a big proponent of kick sets, I dropped them the past year and it didn't seem to have a negative effect.
    Ah good, I am usually doing less than 30 as well. I'm not sure his rigorous guidelines really apply to masters our age anyway.

I know he deems kick sets worthless. I do notice that Andrew's kick and SDK are the worst part of his races though ... And, I am a kicker, so fully intend to keep doing my kick sets. With bicep tendonitis, I don't have much choice for awhile. I wonder if dropping kick sets doesn't have an immediate impact, but might have a cumulative effect over time? As an analogy, when I dropped weights (which Rushall also disdains) for 8+ months last year, it didn't have an immediate impact. But at the end of that period, I was having trouble finishing my races and had better swims after going back to lifting.
    ... Historically a big proponent of kick sets, I dropped them the past year and it didn't seem to have a negative effect.
    I didn't "drop" kick sets this past season, but I did a lot less kicking than in the past 2 years. While I don't think it hurt my top speed, I do think it negatively impacted my ability to do multiple events in a short time period.
    Lesser--just 10x25 at most--and it's not formally USRPT, because I don't incorporate the failure aspect that Rushall insists upon. You probably know he also deems kick sets mostly worthless. Historically a big proponent of kick sets, I dropped them the past year and it didn't seem to have a negative effect.
    3600 yesterday and 4150 today. Who are you and what have you done with The Fortress?
    Ha! Even when doing strictly HIT, I sometimes get to 3500 or so because I do so much recovery swimming. It just didn't seem very satisfying to do a low yardage kick workout ... I also did read in swimswam recently that high volume kick sets can contribute to kick speed. I would never try that approach with swimming, but my kicking seems pretty fast lately. No worries, when I can do full stroke swimming, I will be back to my usual ways.

When you are doing USRPT, do you do the full 30 x 25 or some lesser version of that?
    3600 yesterday and 4150 today. Who are you and what have you done with The Fortress?
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    The foam roller definately helps?
    They're supposed to promote recovery by smoothing muscles, breaking up knots and scar tissue and helping circulation. Everything I've read about foam rolling makes it seem like a must do for serious athletes.
    The foam roller definately helps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Hope the shoulder eval works out ok.
    Thanks. I probably should have laid off any swimming and weights even though it didn't hurt when I swam initially. Until then it did. Sucks being old. Hope your rehab is coming along nicely.
    Hope the shoulder eval works out ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I just didn't fancy showing up at nationals and swimming poorly.
    Makes sense.
    I know an OW swim maybe you might like. It's closest thing OW, to sprinting I can think of. There's a structure about 40m from shore in a out 10 feet of clear water, and the wooden platform just happens to be very similar to a starting block. I did a few workouts there doing several AFAP blasts with easy backstroke back to the structure. If you ever stop by Aruba.

But for the general OW swimming I've tried, it's not for me as well. After a few minutes I would be 90 degrees off target and would furthermore have to roll on my back because my shoulders are toasted.

Just moving around recreationally with fins and snorkel is more fun
    Updated August 18th, 2014 at 04:02 PM by __steve__
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I was surprised to see your daughter's name in the Nationals results and not yours. I would have thought that pool would be ideal for you: indoors, same time zone. How come you didn't attend?
    Ali only decided at the last minute to swim. She's still recovering from shoulder surgery and still in pain and is not swimming much.

I do love that pool -- one of my favorites. I didn't sign up bc I figured I'd be too out of shape after goofing off for awhile and then being out of the water for 17 days. Plus, our beach rental started the Sat of nationals. In retrospect, I prolly could have done a couple 50s. I just didn't fancy showing up at nationals and swimming poorly.
    I was surprised to see your daughter's name in the Nationals results and not yours. I would have thought that pool would be ideal for you: indoors, same time zone. How come you didn't attend?
    Very sorry for your loss. My condolences
    Thanks Tim and Patrick. My mom has a pool in her community too, but I suspect I will want to head over to the Oro valley pool. I don't really want to venture too far or be gone too long, so I will keep it short and simple.
    I am sorry, too, for your loss.

Oro Valley is definitely the best pool in the greater Tucson area, so I would highly recommend it for working out by yourself. If you can get down to the U of A (20-30 minutes from Oro Valley) to swim with their Masters team, that will be your best group to workout with. Saddlebrooke has a great and enthusiastic team, but if think you would not find the right training partners there for you.
    Sorry to hear about your loss
    Even if he was ill, it is still rough.

Check with PWB on the Oro Valley pool. I think he swam at a Masters meet there early this year. I think there's a masters group that swims there. Regardless, the pool has rather generous hours (at least from what I can see):
    http://www.orovalleyaz.gov/aquatics/hours-operation

There's also a masters group in Saddlebrook, a little further north of Oro Valley:
    http://www.saddlebrookeswimclub.org/

If you let me know when you'll be in town, maybe I'll take a trip down.
Page 1 of 846 123451151101501 ... LastLast