Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That's been my experience. I think a lot of this east-west thing, though, is psychological ... at least for me ... as when I go on exciting trips (e.g., Europe, India), I am usually traveling east and am "pumped" and energized for the trip. I think that adrenaline and excitement helps to mask the actual jet lag my body is experiencing. When I head back west and return home to "real life," as stimulating as my life is, there's just not the same energy level (e.g., vs. a vacation) and the normal physiological effect of jet lag are made even worse since I probably "pushed through" the jet lag on the trip itself. I was a virtual zombie for two weeks last fall after coming back from a mere week in India.

Good luck.
    I'm sure the psychological aspect is a huge component. Though Mr. Fort and Lil Fort seem to be doing much better than me in terms of fatigue. And my difficulty in falling asleep, waking up in the middle of the night, sleep inertia are classic jet lag. I'm just hoping not to get sick like I did coming back from Paris. I have no idea how you and Water Rat do so much traveling and still train well.
    Updated July 17th, 2015 at 10:36 AM by The Fortress
    I am really suffering from jet lag. I have little trouble flying east, but really struggle flying west. I know that is the opposite of most people, but so it is.
    That's been my experience. I think a lot of this east-west thing, though, is psychological ... at least for me ... as when I go on exciting trips (e.g., Europe, India), I am usually traveling east and am "pumped" and energized for the trip. I think that adrenaline and excitement helps to mask the actual jet lag my body is experiencing. When I head back west and return home to "real life," as stimulating as my life is, there's just not the same energy level (e.g., vs. a vacation) and the normal physiological effect of jet lag are made even worse since I probably "pushed through" the jet lag on the trip itself. I was a virtual zombie for two weeks last fall after coming back from a mere week in India.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    To quote the movie Slap Shot "You can just drink so much and screw so much."
    Haha. Yeah, I suspect Norway and Iceland are very grim in the winter. I was told every Norwegian skis, otherwise they would get depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Interestingly, there were pools in Iceland. I guess they need indoor diversions during the harsh winter.
    To quote the movie Slap Shot "You can just drink so much and screw so much."
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Welcome back! Glad things worked out for you...eventually. Sorry you had to have such a rough start though.

You really should try to swim while you're away, at least once in a while. You could have swum in the Serpentine in London Or more realistically, you could have swum in the Olympic pool
    I usually try to swim at least twice a week, even on vacation. It makes things easier for when I get back, and it makes a nice break from the trip.

Our high school cross country teams have been practicing for a few weeks now. They run along the canal while I walk Holly on Saturday mornings.
    There were 6 of us. I would have felt a bit weird bailing for hours to go swim. Plus, I'd honestly rather see the sights than take the time out to swim. And I'm pretty sure I saw a no swimming sign at the Serpentine. Interestingly, there were pools in Iceland. I guess they need indoor diversions during the harsh winter.

Yeah, Lil Fort missed a couple weeks of training. No big deal.
    Welcome back! Glad things worked out for you...eventually. Sorry you had to have such a rough start though.

You really should try to swim while you're away, at least once in a while. You could have swum in the Serpentine in London Or more realistically, you could have swum in the Olympic pool
    I usually try to swim at least twice a week, even on vacation. It makes things easier for when I get back, and it makes a nice break from the trip.

Our high school cross country teams have been practicing for a few weeks now. They run along the canal while I walk Holly on Saturday mornings.
    Thanks guys! It was fantastic and other-worldly, very hard to come home.
    Welcome back! Looked like a fantastic trip. And Olympic Trials next year, very nice!
    Looked like an epic trip. I'm jealous!
    Welcome Home Leslie Missed your blog but knew you were having a blast on vacation. beautiful photos. thank you....Did my first 200M IM Yikes
    Have a fun and safe trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Hope you have a great trip!

One of my nephews is touring around Europe with a cousin and friends. Based on the pictures my sister has posted to Facebook, it looks pretty cool and rainy/overcast. Then again, he's lives in Houston, so it probably doesn't take much to get cold.

Are you going to swim at all in Europe?
    Nope, not planning on swimming. Going to get appalling out of swimming shape. That's why I'm not considering nationals even though it's only two hours away.

One of my swimmers from Europe says it's been unseasonably cold there. After Copenhagen, our next stop is Norway. So far it looks like highs in the mid 70s, which sounds about perfect to me. And I like cold nights.
    I'm almost all packed! And the weather forecast is looking a little better, though it's still almost 20 degrees cooler than the last time I landed in Copenhagen this same time a few years ago. Our flight leaves tomorrow at 3:30 pm, so I have time to get to adult swim at Lebo for an hour. IF it's not pouring. The last two weeks have been very wet.
    Hope you have a great trip!

One of my nephews is touring around Europe with a cousin and friends. Based on the pictures my sister has posted to Facebook, it looks pretty cool and rainy/overcast. Then again, he's lives in Houston, so it probably doesn't take much to get cold.

Are you going to swim at all in Europe?
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Nice set of 50s. Mind your shoulders doing back with paddles. I find back with equipment the toughest on my shoulders. Enjoy your upcoming vacation. Are you counting down the days?
    I use the smallest size of agility paddles, so they are pretty easy on the shoulders. Still, you are right that I should be cautious. I've been mostly using them to protect my finger, which still isn't healed.

We leave on Friday! Very excited. Just a little bummed to be missing all of long course again. But not next year. I've negotiated no long summer vacation during my age up year.
    Nice set of 50s. Mind your shoulders doing back with paddles. I find back with equipment the toughest on my shoulders. Enjoy your upcoming vacation. Are you counting down the days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Congrats on the graduation and commissioning too and check off the box for "one launched"!
    Thanks Bill! One down and two to go!
    Congrats on the graduation and commissioning too and check off the box for "one launched"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    I hear that this place has a good pool:
    http://swimteam.keeneymca.org/direct...quatic-center/
    I've never been there, but it might be worth a call to find out about drop-in.
    Yes, that's where they have the USA meets. Pretty close. I will check the hours just in case, but swimming is so time consuming. I'm not sure I'll be able to carve out enough time.
    I hear that this place has a good pool:
    http://swimteam.keeneymca.org/direct...quatic-center/
    I've never been there, but it might be worth a call to find out about drop-in.
    Apparently Taylor puts on a good show!
Page 1 of 863 123451151101501 ... LastLast