Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I am sad for you and your swimming when I read about your pool and pool transit travails.
    Yeah it is a real joy sucker. I can usually deal with it, and then I'll get mired in traffic from an accident on the parkway and flip out. YI just haven't really gotten my mojo back since the move, though I'm sure the shoulder problem doesn't help. You' are fortunate to have so many pools in AZ.
    Updated November 19th, 2014 at 11:33 AM by The Fortress
    I am sad for you and your swimming when I read about your pool and pool transit travails.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I don't know about Patrick and Mark, but I too always struggle while I am on the road. As you said, traveling is tiring, but at least you got in and swam. Sounds like a great trip. My two kiddos are pre teen and teen, and I can't imagine having to travel to see them, but I guess it's just around the corner. My son turned 14 today. Safe travels.
    I wish I could travel more to see them. But with a job and Lil Fort at home (she's 14 too), I don't have the flexibility. Still three trips in the last two months to AZ, VA and NH was more than enough for me. It takes me awhile to get back into a good sleep routine, and it definitely negatively effects my swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryR
    I swam a couple meets at Dartmouth in college. Do they still have the pool that has the couple of long course lanes that go into that tunnel-- at least this is how I remember it from 25 years ago.
    Yes same old pool. Quirky tunnel and abrupt shallow areas. They really need a new pool. But given the fact that they almost cut the swim team a few years back, that is unlikely.
    I don't know about Patrick and Mark, but I too always struggle while I am on the road. As you said, traveling is tiring, but at least you got in and swam. Sounds like a great trip. My two kiddos are pre teen and teen, and I can't imagine having to travel to see them, but I guess it's just around the corner. My son turned 14 today. Safe travels.
    I swam a couple meets at Dartmouth in college. Do they still have the pool that has the couple of long course lanes that go into that tunnel-- at least this is how I remember it from 25 years ago.
    Thanks for the tip to the shoulder exercise.

Given that my shoulder has flared up again, I am seriously considering buying Mullen's shoulder package - http://www.corswimmershoulder.com/co...houlder-system.
    Hadn't seen that before. Good to know. As I recall, you have pretty loose shoulders, especially for a guy. Loose shoulders can be difficult to manage and cause flare ups. Hope yours is nothing serious!
    Thanks for the tip to the shoulder exercise.

Given that my shoulder has flared up again, I am seriously considering buying Mullen's shoulder package - http://www.corswimmershoulder.com/co...houlder-system.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am assuming that the best average kick was with fins, because that's flying(even with the fins). Really nice kick set.
    Yes, the whole set was with fins. I can kick pretty fast, but not that fast!
    I am assuming that the best average kick was with fins, because that's flying(even with the fins). Really nice kick set.
    That looks like a cool meet. We need more options for a season-ending SCM meet. There's no way I'll make the trip out this year, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for the future.
    I'm sure you have plenty of SCM meets in your neck of the woods! The smack down is a cool concept, though the Boston meet has the advantage of being bigger and providing more rest.
    That looks like a cool meet. We need more options for a season-ending SCM meet. There's no way I'll make the trip out this year, but I'll certainly keep it in mind for the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That is a scapular strengthening exercise. The straight arm nature of it doesn't hurt your shoulders. 75 = weight, 3 = number of sets, 25 = number of reps.
    'sounds interesting. Can you post a pic or a link? I'm having trouble visualizing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    What is this? Some kind of shoulder exercise? What does 75x3x25 mean? Something like three circuits each with 75 reps using 25-pound weights???
    That is a scapular strengthening exercise. The straight arm nature of it doesn't hurt your shoulders. 75 = weight, 3 = number of sets, 25 = number of reps.
    straight arm dips, 75 x 3 x 25
    What is this? Some kind of shoulder exercise? What does 75x3x25 mean? Something like three circuits each with 75 reps using 25-pound weights???
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Are those straight arm dips like the opposite of shrugs? Is it a shoulder related stability exercise?

Hope your shoulder continues or starts to rehabilitate. I had to minimize straight arm fr movements to keep the joints happy. Not sure if I'm faster straight armed, but it sure looks more interesting.
    I guess you could look at them that way .... It's an exercise for the scapula -- one of the first ones I learned in PT years ago. The straight arm and lower weight does not stress the shoulders either, like regular dips.

It's slowly getting better, just not as fast as I'd hope. Yep, straight arm free is so very tough on the shoulders. I still feel a twinge from yesterday's trial run. Won't do any AFAP free for awhile now.
    Are those straight arm dips like the opposite of shrugs? Is it a shoulder related stability exercise?

Hope your shoulder continues or starts to rehabilitate. I had to minimize straight arm fr movements to keep the joints happy. Not sure if I'm faster straight armed, but it sure looks more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by 200free
    You've got a few hours left to change your mind about swimming in the Sprint Classic. Entries close at midnight tonight.

He's right I have a hard time going over 1500 yards when I'm swimming by myself so the workouts you do day after day are truly amazing. And in that vein, I'm sure you're in good enough shape to sprint a few 50's and 25's this weekend.
    You know how much I would LOVE to be there. I can't believe I have to miss it ... But the shoulder is just not healthy enough. I haven't done any all out sprinting using my arms in ages ... Legs are super fit; arms are weak as a kitten.

I'm hoping to come down for the Dec. 6 meet in Germantown.
    You've got a few hours left to change your mind about swimming in the Sprint Classic. Entries close at midnight tonight.

He's right I have a hard time going over 1500 yards when I'm swimming by myself so the workouts you do day after day are truly amazing. And in that vein, I'm sure you're in good enough shape to sprint a few 50's and 25's this weekend.
    On a very motivated day, I go maybe 3,500. On an unmotivated day, 250. I'd love to have your level of unmotivation right now, so I'm going to rip off 2K from your workout and try it tomorrow.

As for the iPhone 6, I'm a 1%er**, so we don't bother with those pedestrian playtoys ... I have the latest Nokia Windows Phone

Seriously, though, it's the GREATEST phone and email/office/productivity device ... plus, no self-respecting hipster-app-developer would be caught dead creating Windows Phone apps so there's none of that distraction.

** phone OS market share, not income
    Well, I had two unmotivated days where I did 0 yardage ... It's easy enough to do small sets of 25s. They don't take much mental energy, especially using fins. Doing hard 50s or 75s or 100s -- that takes some determination.

I had the original iPhone and iPad and have been hooked for years. No going back!
Page 1 of 849 123451151101501 ... LastLast