Blog Comments

FYI...I called the Bridgeville LA Fitness and asked the length of the pool. It is 25 METERS. And has a salt filter, which is nice for the skin :-). For an extra 5 minutes or so, it may be worth the drive to NOT go to hole formally known as Ballys.

I couldn't stand not knowing, after your revelation the other day. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Congratulations to Lil Fort!!! I'm sure everyone on her team was excited for her!!!

Thankfully most of the pools I swim in are of the normal variety. I remember swimming in a pool in London that was 33-1/3 yards (or maybe it was meters, I don't remember). I ended up just counting the lengths and figured out the total distance after, as it became way too much thought doing it while swimming.

I just started back on drylands 2 weeks ago. Was super sore most of last week, but thankfully I'm mostly over that initial burst. As of yet it hasn't been that much, but perhaps I'll include it in my workout blog soon.
    Thanks! She got a lot of hugs.

Please add your drylands. Most people don't blog them, and I'm always curious to see what others are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Definitely. Think of 2 lengths as a "50" and count that way, then just multiply the total by 0.944 for FLOG purposes. I did a similar thing last year when training in a 49 yard pool, the designers of which apparently studied math at the same place as the developers of your short pool. It's funny though, I actually really like training in the 49 yard pool. I call it "long-course yards". There is a 22-yard pool at a nearby country club where I swam years ago, a length that is less satisfactory. As an added annoyance, they had a 24 minute restriction unless there was an empty lane. With only 3 lanes that did not happen often. It was a good place to teach a 4 year old to swim though.
    Thanks for the multiplier!

How on earth did they arrive at a 24 minute restriction? That's almost as random as the 49 yards. I practiced in a 50 yard pool for much of the summer when I was young.
    Today, I managed to get two workouts in sandwiched around Lil Fort's soccer game. It was pretty exciting -- she scored the only goal and game winning goal with about :20 left in the game. I'm not sure weights and yoga are the best combo; swimming and yoga might be better. I feel pretty beat from all the drylands. .
    Congratulations to Lil Fort!!! I'm sure everyone on her team was excited for her!!!

Thankfully most of the pools I swim in are of the normal variety. I remember swimming in a pool in London that was 33-1/3 yards (or maybe it was meters, I don't remember). I ended up just counting the lengths and figured out the total distance after, as it became way too much thought doing it while swimming.

I just started back on drylands 2 weeks ago. Was super sore most of last week, but thankfully I'm mostly over that initial burst. As of yet it hasn't been that much, but perhaps I'll include it in my workout blog soon.
    Note: I am just referring to 50s as a 50, not 47.2 yards. I'll whack some yardage off when I flog it.
    Definitely. Think of 2 lengths as a "50" and count that way, then just multiply the total by 0.944 for FLOG purposes. I did a similar thing last year when training in a 49 yard pool, the designers of which apparently studied math at the same place as the developers of your short pool. It's funny though, I actually really like training in the 49 yard pool. I call it "long-course yards". There is a 22-yard pool at a nearby country club where I swam years ago, a length that is less satisfactory. As an added annoyance, they had a 24 minute restriction unless there was an empty lane. With only 3 lanes that did not happen often. It was a good place to teach a 4 year old to swim though.
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    jennP..don't tell her!! Let it go!!
    She goes to Bridgeville. I am going to keep assuming that one is 25 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    It was awesome back then...they probably need to demo and rebuild...
    Yep, they do! It is really old and crappy. Even the equipment is old and dirty. The only thing that appears to have been redone is the cycle room. The showers give me the creeps; I never use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    That's LA Fitness for you. Actually, I think this is an old Bally. It's what I would call a complete sty. I only go there because it does not involve driving and I do a lot of driving. Sometimes, convenience is everything.
    that place is 30 years old...my mom would drag me there when I was 10..( she told me to lie and tell the guards I was 13) so she could workout upstairs and I would lap swim to keep myself busy during her aerobics class.....its was awesome back then...they probably need to demo and rebuild...
    Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk
    Really??? 23.6 yards??? WTF?? Is that Bridgeville or Village Square? I need to go back and rethink things.

I have a friend training for Key West, thinking she's putting in 13K at LAF.
    jennP..don't tell her!! Let it go!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Indeed! That's just f'd up.
    That's LA Fitness for you. Actually, I think this is an old Bally. It's what I would call a complete sty. I only go there because it does not involve driving and I do a lot of driving. Sometimes, convenience is everything.
    Really??? 23.6 yards??? WTF?? Is that Bridgeville or Village Square? I need to go back and rethink things.

It's the one in Bethel Park right by the Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think they call that Village Square.
    Really??? 23.6 yards??? WTF??
    Indeed! That's just f'd up.

glad to hear that
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    iHopefully with some rest after Boston his blood work will return to normal.

I think ink you did the right thing with all your personal challenges, although we definitely missed you. Hopefully there will be a next time.
    Rest?! My husband doesn't rest. He doesn't even take a day off. He's super compulsive. I look like a lazy idler in comparison.

Thanks for the good wishes. Hopefully, the blood work will be better when he re-does it at the hematologist's.

I missed you guys too. It was a bit sad over the weekend watching the racing and not being there.
    Really happy for you and Mr. Fort. That had to have been scary. I hope everything else turns out well for him.
    i second Patrick's wishes and I too am so happy for you and Mr a Fort that it's not the dreaded Big C. Hopefully with some rest after Boston his blood work will return to normal.

I think ink you did the right thing with all your personal challenges, although we definitely missed you. Hopefully there will be a next time.
    Really happy for you and Mr. Fort. That had to have been scary. I hope everything else turns out well for him.
    Thanks Patrick. Yes, it was a huge relief.
    Awesome! I heard the news reports and it certainly didn't sound like optimal race weather. Glad he rocked it.
    The weather was pretty awful. Even the elite times were slower this year as compared to last year.

Mr. Fort had remarkably consistent splits. He had no fade at the end, which is rare. It's so odd: he's a distance geek and I'm a drop dead sprinter -- nothing in common athletically speaking.
    Mr. Fort had a great marathon. He was hoping to get under 3:40 and ran 3:37, which is good for a hilly course. He was also freezing from the rain; he has no body fat. That time should be a BQ for next year. He's never gotten a BQ at Boston before.
    Awesome! I heard the news reports and it certainly didn't sound like optimal race weather. Glad he rocked it.
Page 1 of 860 123451151101501 ... LastLast