Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    They have 25s in the event rankings now. Maybe kicking is next! I'm sure any dolphin kicking event would be my best "stroke."
    I would not do well in a dolphin kicking event, but since my breaststroke kick is nearly as fast as my breaststroke stroke, I suspect I would be much more competitive at breaststroke kicking events than breaststroke stroke events. OTOH, breaststroke is a weak stroke for me so I probably would simply move from the poor to mundane category. 'might be fun though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Maybe USMS should sanction kicking-only races. At any given time there seem to be quite a number of us who are restricted to mostly kicking du to some injury.
    They have 25s in the event rankings now. Maybe kicking is next! I'm sure any dolphin kicking event would be my best "stroke."
    Maybe USMS should sanction kicking-only races. At any given time there seem to be quite a number of us who are restricted to mostly kicking du to some injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Sorry to hear about the injury. You have really been in the wars so far this year. I have broken and dislocated the middle finger but I bet the little finger is worse. I can imagine catching it. Sounds painful. I hope your taping allows you to continue to work out. Although your kicking is unreal, I suspect you are sick and tired of just kicking from the last injury!
    Thanks Stewart. I do feel quite unlucky this year. And I am SO sick of doing so much kicking. Blech
    Sorry to hear about the injury. You have really been in the wars so far this year. I have broken and dislocated the middle finger but I bet the little finger is worse. I can imagine catching it. Sounds painful. I hope your taping allows you to continue to work out. Although your kicking is unreal, I suspect you are sick and tired of just kicking from the last injury!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    At least in my experience with finger jams and sprains (skiing) the pain should decline in a couple of weeks, as long as you don't reinjure it, and should be pretty much gone in a month or so, except if you bang it. You might want to tape three fingers together for more stability. The agility paddles don't seem to pressure my shoulders as much as the bigger paddles and my shoulders don't seem to mind swimming with them at mod pace for quite a few reps. I've found it hard to swim AFAP sets with the paddles on and tend to swim at a mod pace just working on DPS, underwater, catch, rotation, and mechanics. I've never tried sculling with paddles on, but think it would work ok too.
    Thanks Bill. That was exactly my thought after today -- that I need to tape three fingers together for more stability. I have size 1 agility paddles so they are small. Hopefully, the shoulders won't balk.
    At least in my experience with finger jams and sprains (skiing) the pain should decline in a couple of weeks, as long as you don't reinjure it, and should be pretty much gone in a month or so, except if you bang it. You might want to tape three fingers together for more stability. The agility paddles don't seem to pressure my shoulders as much as the bigger paddles and my shoulders don't seem to mind swimming with them at mod pace for quite a few reps. I've found it hard to swim AFAP sets with the paddles on and tend to swim at a mod pace just working on DPS, underwater, catch, rotation, and mechanics. I've never tried sculling with paddles on, but think it would work ok too.
    Well, it's odd. I thought they would repair it. But they just left the chunk of the ceiling that was missing untouched. If it's from water damage, I bet we all got an unhealthy dose of mold ...

Stewart, I didn't think the leg lifts were too bad. But didn't have a chance to do multiple sets of them.
    Jeeez - hopefully it heals up without any issues. I've had pretty good luck taping jammed or sprained fingers together to swim, if you can get the tape to stay on. Also think the agility paddles will help.
    Good to know. I will give it a go today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S

'hope you heal promptly.
    Thanks Karl. At least the swelling is down some.
    Quote Originally Posted by magick17
    I wonder if you tape and use those finis agility paddles to deflect the push of the water you maybe able to get a workout in...
    hope you heal quickly
    Definitely. I thought about the agility paddles rights away too. Or I'll be kicking a lot, again.
    Jeeez - hopefully it heals up without any issues. I've had pretty good luck taping jammed or sprained fingers together to swim, if you can get the tape to stay on. Also think the agility paddles will help.
    I slipped and smashed the little finger of the right hand into a stone wall. It's broken and dislocated.

'hope you heal promptly.
    I wonder if you tape and use those finis agility paddles to deflect the push of the water you maybe able to get a workout in...
    hope you heal quickly
    Great news about Pitt.

Let me know what you think about the ab workout. You will have to let me know if I am a whimp. I found it quite tough.
    Great news on Pitt! I don't think I've ever seen a pool repair issue NOT take much longer than expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yes that, and they stop in the middle of the pool, seem incapable of leaving 5 seconds apart, and don't have much concept of an interval.
    Are sure you are not describing the 11-16 year olds I swam with on Saturday. It always cracks me up when the kids swim long course and they are all bunched up. I sort of get it scy when the slower kids run the risk of being mowed down by the faster kids.
    Hey, some great Pitt engineer will figure it out and surely get it fixed soon. I can't believe you had 25-30 in an LA Fitness pool, ours is like the ocean with 2 in a lane or 4+ decent swimmers total in the pool (no gutters, crappy lane lines, 3.5 - 4 feet deep max, no backstroke flags, we have 4 lanes, though, and it becomes one big standing wave). Sounds like it would be bedlam - no fly permitted and lots of 25 and 50 sprints! However, usually from about 6:00 AM+ to 8, after the really early birds get out, there often isn't anyone in it - you might try that time slot if you are solo.
    I think some were scared away by the pool fiasco. So I had a meager 21 last night, 7 per lane. Definitely an LA Fitness type pool, a little deeper at one end. Cant' do anything longer than 50s for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Meaning, what? They don't know how to let others pass?
    Yes that, and they stop in the middle of the pool, seem incapable of leaving 5 seconds apart, and don't have much concept of an interval.
    Hey, some great Pitt engineer will figure it out and surely get it fixed soon. I can't believe you had 25-30 in an LA Fitness pool, ours is like the ocean with 2 in a lane or 4+ decent swimmers total in the pool (no gutters, crappy lane lines, 3.5 - 4 feet deep max, no backstroke flags, we have 4 lanes, though, and it becomes one big standing wave). Sounds like it would be bedlam - no fly permitted and lots of 25 and 50 sprints! However, usually from about 6:00 AM+ to 8, after the really early birds get out, there often isn't anyone in it - you might try that time slot if you are solo.
Page 1 of 862 123451151101501 ... LastLast