Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Martin
    LC 50s afap are indeed tough. Can't believe you did 5. I did 2 yesterday and took 10 minutes in between. But there are few things better for overall conditioning than 30 sec of all out effort.
    They were brutal. I did them on about 6:00. I'd like to take more time, but the pool is only long course for one hour. If I get myself to the meet I'm contemplating the end of July, I will need to do 3 x 50 AFAP each day (2 events and a mixed really). So I figure I better get my body used to it ... Can't do them every day though bc they are so fatiguing. Not even contemplating any long course 100s!
    LC 50s afap are indeed tough. Can't believe you did 5. I did 2 yesterday and took 10 minutes in between. But there are few things better for overall conditioning than 30 sec of all out effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    What days will you be at Trials? My sister and her family are also going to watch. They will be there for the first 4 days.
    Lucky sister! I am there for the week, though I think my plane flight might conflict with the last day of finals. Anna Lea is trying to get together a list of masters swimmers going.
    What days will you be at Trials? My sister and her family are also going to watch. They will be there for the first 4 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Some years when I've experience strong spring allergies and slight asthma, I've also felt very lethargic, particularly in the evenings after a long day. The feeling does seem to stop on its own late spring or early summer. I speculated that it was from reduced lung capacity making it harder on your body to uptake O2 but it might also be immune system related. Allergy pills (Claritin) controls the allergic response, but doesn't seem to help the lethargy. It seems worse in years when for whatever reason I'm not doing much exercise in that season.
    I can definitely feel the reduced lung capacity. And I seem to have a crap immune system. July and August are usually pretty good months. But then the ragweed cometh!
    Some years when I've experience strong spring allergies and slight asthma, I've also felt very lethargic, particularly in the evenings after a long day. The feeling does seem to stop on its own late spring or early summer. I speculated that it was from reduced lung capacity making it harder on your body to uptake O2 but it might also be immune system related. Allergy pills (Claritin) controls the allergic response, but doesn't seem to help the lethargy. It seems worse in years when for whatever reason I'm not doing much exercise in that season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    You are definitely headed into middle distance territory - let us know if/when you feel the urge for a 2IM - you would rock it.
    You sound like Patrick! It was one of my best events in my younger swim life. But it is really beyond me at this point. 100 IM is hard enough.
    You are definitely headed into middle distance territory - let us know if/when you feel the urge for a 2IM - you would rock it.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I am not sure whether 6x100 kick on 1:40 holding under 1:10 qualifies for garbage yards. That's some serious speed kicking.

Looks like some aerobic swimming which is good for you
    It was about 200 pace, I'd say.

That's what I told myself -- some aerobic work is probably good for long course.
    I am not sure whether 6x100 kick on 1:40 holding under 1:10 qualifies for garbage yards. That's some serious speed kicking.

Looks like some aerobic swimming which is good for you
    That's cold!

Don't tell anyone but I carry a sleeveless (aquasphere) wetsuit on days I expect to swim in sub 80 water. It has actually lasted about 4 years so far
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    an Amsterdam coffee shop pipe dream right now.
    I like this phrase.

Yes, breaks can be rejuvenating. Looking back, I've taken a lot of summer breaks. I never stopped swimming, just did it (and other things) with much less focus and purpose.
    Breaks are good and warranted. Enjoy the time away and let your body recover.

The Texas meet does sound tempting ... I've got it in the back of my head to fly in for a Fun Friday Double - hit the 4IM and 1500 - and the fly back home Saturday morning ... haven't yet broached this with the family, tho, so it's very much an Amsterdam coffee shop pipe dream right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I've taken a complete break from e revise since the meet too Fort. But I'm looking forward to swimming tomorrow morning at Peters.
    I hope you decide to go to Texas with me this summer. Will be fun!
    Glad I'm not the only one! I think I needed a mental break as much as a physical break. I am planning on hitting the Mt. Lebo long course pool for adult swim both days this weekend. Hope your trip went smoothly!
    I've taken a complete break from e revise since the meet too Fort. But I'm looking forward to swimming tomorrow morning at Peters.
    I hope you decide to go to Texas with me this summer. Will be fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by sglines
    Hope you feel better Leslie...For me I felt out of sorts at Nationals...All that training and didn't rip all the time I wanted...was really disappointed.....Any how a few corrections and back to training..which I love...You continue to be so inspiring...human...real and amazing....so I continue to train and dream thank you!!
    Never stop dreaming!

We are all human. Sometimes those human frailties, errors, misjudgments get in the way of our goals. Sometimes repeatedly. All we can do is be pissed/disappointed/upset for a short time and then move on. Resilience is the key to life, and success in the end. And training is really what keeps us healthy anyway -- so it's good that you love it!
    Hope you feel better Leslie...For me I felt out of sorts at Nationals...All that training and didn't rip all the time I wanted...was really disappointed.....Any how a few corrections and back to training..which I love...You continue to be so inspiring...human...real and amazing....so I continue to train and dream thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    You both did terrific.

with all the adversity you did amazingly well Fort.

RAM is very lucky to have both of you on our team. I really wish I could have made the meet. Congratulations guys.
    Thanks Stewart. I've had quite enough of character building at this point. In retrospect, I probably pushed my body too much during the last couple months. Knowing when to ease up doesn't seem to be our forte.

It was a very well run meet at a great facility.
    You both did terrific.

with all the adversity you did amazingly well Fort.

RAM is very lucky to have both of you on our team. I really wish I could have made the meet. Congratulations guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Fort, you were such a competitor to push through. Onward and forward for sure.
    Couldn't have done it without you! Thx for the support and camaraderie!
Page 1 of 886 123451151101501 ... LastLast