Blog Comments

Glad to hear you are over that major hurdle and it appears successful. Hopefully healing well and no further issues.
    I thought they would take out the rib and put it back after - but guess that wouldn't make sense. dah.
    If the story about Eve being created from Adam's rib is true, you're now even with us! LOL.

I can't imagine you having much trouble with PT. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks Kristin. I'm supposed to start PT in 2 weeks. Can't swim for 3 months tho, apparently. We'll see ... I can already move my arm fairly well. My daughter, who is visiting and had bicep surgery, was shocked.
    Good for you! And it doesn't surprise me. Are you going to blog your rehab and keep us posted? I pray all goes exceedingly well for you! Have a very Merry Christmas with all your family home for the holidays.
    SaveSave
    SaveSave
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Wow, sorry to hear that you had to go through this, but hopefully they found everything, took it out, and now you can get on the mend. Hope you'll be back in the pool soon!
    Thanks Tim. They weren't really "finding" anything. They were just trying to decompress the thoracic area by removing the first rib, scalene and surrounding muscle. Won't be in the pool for a few months, I'm told.
    Nice Rib pic!

Heal up
    Wow, sorry to hear that you had to go through this, but hopefully they found everything, took it out, and now you can get on the mend. Hope you'll be back in the pool soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Fingers crossed for a swift and full recovery!
    Thanks Ellen. My fingers are crossed as well, toes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    Thanks for letting us know your surgery went well and you are on your road to recovery. And that the pain is tolerable (less painful than SDKs!). I hope you have a nice (and restful) holiday season with your family.

I prefer a little more meat on my ribs but I suppose with a good BBQ sauce Kirk is on target!
    Thanks Jeff. Well now ... SDKs aren't that painful. I now am in possession of the rib, sans the muscle. Apparently, VTOS patients like to clean them and decorate them with nail polish. xmas ornament?
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhenderson
    Wow, that's a big chunk taken out of your body. Glad the surgery went well, but sorry about the nausea. Hoping you get complete relief and an easy recovery. Take it easy!! What's the doctor's rehab plan?
    Thanks Kristin. I'm supposed to start PT in 2 weeks. Can't swim for 3 months tho, apparently. We'll see ... I can already move my arm fairly well. My daughter, who is visiting and had bicep surgery, was shocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Well, Kirk is clearly warped as that rib looks gnarly.

I do hope your recovery goes well. Is the prognosis positive for you being able to swim again?
    Yes, most likely, assuming the vein is not permanently damaged. My other lingering worry is my other side, which the last ultrasound showed is somewhat compressed as well. But theoretically it could never be symptomatic. I know a couple elite masters swimmers who have made successful comebacks after VTOS surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I hope this does the trick for you. Good luck with your recovery!

That rib looks like it would be good with fava beans and a nice chianti.
    Thx. Channeling Hannibal Lector I see ...
    Thanks for letting us know your surgery went well and you are on your road to recovery. And that the pain is tolerable (less painful than SDKs!). I hope you have a nice (and restful) holiday season with your family.

I prefer a little more meat on my ribs but I suppose with a good BBQ sauce Kirk is on target!
    Wow, that's a big chunk taken out of your body. Glad the surgery went well, but sorry about the nausea. Hoping you get complete relief and an easy recovery. Take it easy!! What's the doctor's rehab plan?
    Well, Kirk is clearly warped as that rib looks gnarly.

I do hope your recovery goes well. Is the prognosis positive for you being able to swim again?
    I hope this does the trick for you. Good luck with your recovery!

That rib looks like it would be good with fava beans and a nice chianti.
    Fingers crossed for a swift and full recovery!
    I will definitely miss reading your blog! Best of luck with your surgery and recovery.
    Okay, maybe a little sentimental rah rah claptrap in between the obesity and sarcopenia fears!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Don't write sentimental rah-rah claptrap, nor succumb to too much gnashing of teeth! But keep us posted on what I suspect is as much a psychological challenge as a physical one. Any insights you might develop in how to deal with the whole process will be, I strongly suspect, valuable to lots and lots of your fans.
    Sentimental rah rah claptrap?! Ha, not likely from me. It will indeed be a psychological challenge. All my muscle will dwindle away ... Hopefully, I won't become obese! You'll have to come visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    So sorry to hear it will require surgery. Hope you keep us posted on your progress from time to time - love reading your comments too.

When I broke my thigh cycling a few years back, I found it hard to sit on the sidelines and recover. I was a very inpatient patient, but the brooding didn't help. As Doug said, another outlet is a great idea. Take time to recover and give your body a chance to rebuild itself. Come back when it feels right, and it will.

Wishing the best results for you, take care.
    Thanks Bill. I will try not to brood too much. Not sure I can really do much for a couple months post surgery tho ...
    Leslie, there are so many masters swimmers dealing with various types of adversity. You have been an inspiration to us all, and I, for one, would like to see you continue writing your blog even while you are out of the water. I think that any insights you can provide about the mental state of the injured athlete, forced by circumstance to temporarily stop participating in the activity that has been such a big part of their self-identity, would resonate deeply with an awful lot of us out here in the virtual hinterlands. Don't write sentimental rah-rah claptrap, nor succumb to too much gnashing of teeth! But keep us posted on what I suspect is as much a psychological challenge as a physical one. Any insights you might develop in how to deal with the whole process will be, I strongly suspect, valuable to lots and lots of your fans.
Page 1 of 893 123451151101501 ... LastLast