My USMS Page:
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
My team, GMUP:
I was sick with the malaise that seems to be going round and missed a couple days of training. I was able to paddle around a bit on Friday:
Friday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ Sewickley
7 x 100 w/fins @ 1:45
odds = DPS free w/paddles
evens = kick w/board
6 x 25 burst SDK+ cruise
9 x 50 @ 1:00
--3 x back, breast, back breast + 50 EZ
5 x 25 shooter + 25 EZ w/fins @ 1:00
20 x 25 kick w/board, half AFAP @ :30
I used a free guest pass to try out LA Fitness, which is only 10 minutes from my house. My other options for weight training are far away (Sewcklely) or semi far (Rivers Club) and with the latter I get killed on parking fees. LA Fitness is only $29.99 per month, so I may join for convenience sake. The facilities are better as well.
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
captains chair leg raises, 15
russian twist on incline bench w/plate, 2 x 25
row, 80 x 1 x 8, 90 x 2 x 8
good mornings, warm ups, 65 x 3 x 8
rear delt fly, 560 x 3 x 8
explosive leg press, 155 x 1 x 5, 175 x 2 x 15
supine bench press w/DBs, 40 x 3 x 8
squat jumps w/bar, 45 x 2 x 8
DB pull in plank position, 40 x 1 x 15
fast push press on double cable machine, 35 x 2 x 30 (I ripped this off from a USC sprint training vid)
Bikram Yoga, 90 min
I didn't feel like making the long trek out to Sewickley -- where I would have been lucky to find 3 lap lanes and half the pool filled with screaming kids. So I decided to go to yoga 5 minutes from my house. The first half of the class felt pretty easy, the last half was hard to get through. The heat is such a barrier. I don't think I've gone to bikram for maybe 2 years. My balance was pretty awful. And I've definitely lost some flexibility with my lack of stretching this year.
2013 year in Review/Looking ahead:
1. I ended up with 371 miles, which surprisingly was more than 2012 (348) and 2011 (331). I attribute this to swimming more since I haven't been doing drylands.
2. Great first 6 months: I was really pleased with my swims at Zones & Nationals this year. I think it was the best 1-2 punch I've ever had. Everything just clicked. I broke NRs in the 50 fly (SCY and LCM), 50 back (SCY and LCM), 50 free and barely missed them in the 100 back and 100 IM. And I swam all 9 sprint events in SCY for the first time ever.
3. Sub-par last 6 months: Since June, I feel like I've only had two decent months of training -- Oct and Nov. December has been a complete bust with tapering, the holidays and the malaise. 2014 will be a rebuilding year. I've been pretty laser focused for most of my masters career. This summer and fall I lost focus for an extended period, and it took a toll. Not a big deal, but a lesson in what I need to do to be at or near the top of my game.
4. I think my best swim was my 50 fly at Nationals -- 25.70. Ironically, my worst swim at a focus meet was the 50 SCM fly at NE Champs - 29.9.
5. I really enjoyed having my daughter join masters and competing with her. We swam a bunch of relays together and grabbed some AA times. I was hoping we could swim some relays together at Zones this year, but she is out of the pool for awhile with a pinched nerve.
6. Right now, I guess my focus meet for SCY is Zones, though the order of events is terrible for me. I'm not going to Nationals ins Santa Clara -- too far, pool too crappy. LCM will be a bust for me, as it often is. I'm going to Europe for two weeks in late June-July and will be out of the pool. I haven't had good success at Nationals trying to come back after similar vacations. However, I may go to LCM Nationals at U of Md just to see friends and swim a few 50s for fun. In the short term, I have the Albatross meet in mid March.
7. Back to drylands -- I feel weak as a kitten and need to work on that! I plan to start seeing Ron D'Angelo, a trainer here, once a week to help get me on track and give me some new ideas.
8. I am still not adjusted to Pittsburgh. I constantly feel frustrated with the lack of facilities and the amount of driving I have to do to get there. It's been a month of swimming in a sh*tty pool with Pitt closed and it's starting to get very depressing. The brand new beautiful high school just opened up. 5 minutes from my house and only open to the public for adult lap swim M-Th from 9-10 pm. Not helpful ...
Belated Happy New Year everyone!!!
Updated January 5th, 2014 at 08:15 PM by The Fortress