http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
Potomac Valley Meet Schedule:
http://www.pvmasters.org/entry.htm
My team, GMUP:
www.patriotmasters.org

1. Mia Hamm Rage, Sunday, March 10

by , March 10th, 2013 at 10:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    This is almost too unbelievable to write. I got to the pool today and it was closed due to a kid throwing up in the pool. I was beyond furious. I sat down right there and wrote a long letter to the AD. This is 3 times in 10 days that I've been there. I hope I'm not the only person complaining. I had arrived when the lifeguard class was supposed to end (late afternoon), so I had no time to get to OakMarr for a workout before it closed. I called Mr. Fort to rant and he accused me of having a "Mia Hamm rage." Apparently, she was viciously competitive with a wicked temper.

I had no choice but to attempt a short workout at the gym pool. When I arrived, half the lanes were taken by kids. I had to share a lane with a kid who was swimming with dad timing. The problem was he didn't seem to understand the concept of splitting lanes. I asked him 3x to stay on his side. Once, I almost slammed into him head on doing free. I asked his dad to keep him on his side. The fourth time I just ran right over him. I am in the running for the Kid Hater Of The Year nomination.

I've been going to SpringHill all these years because I can usually get my own lane between 1-3 and it's deep. But I'm completely fed up. Tomorrow, I'm going to Mason and sign up for their Aquatic Center on a monthly basis. They're open from 12-2 for lap swimming. I hope it won't be too crowded; it hasn't been overly bad in the past when I've gone at that time. It will mean almost an hour of commuting and a more expensive pool, but I don't care anymore. I just can't take the kids and closures. I can try SpringHill after a weight workout or something. I feel like the guy from Network who shouts, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

I hope this doesn't happen in Pittsburgh. The neighborhood high school is finishing a brand new pool (what a concept, a high school actually having a pool) and I was hoping to swim there. From what I can tell on the website, Trees Pool at U of Pitt isn't open to the public. Maybe Water Rat knows.

So, a very frustrating day and more lost training. At this point, I just don't care about my SCY times. I will be racing for fun. There's 6 1/2 weeks until Nationals. I can't go super hard for that long. On Allen Stark's advice, I'm going to take it EZ the next 5 days before Albatross and then settle in for the last 4 1/2 weeks of hard training, which will take me to April 17, a few days before Zones, to start tapering. Even if I have nothing much to taper from, I will still taper to at least have fresh legs and sharp 50s. The 100s will be what they will be. My only events for Zones will be 100 free and 100 fly and relays. I was going to cruise a 200 back, channeling chowmi, but I see it's right before 100 fly. No go.

Here's what I got in at the hot shallow gym pool bubbling over with kids:

600 various
    4 x 50 scull w/agility paddles
    4 x 50 torque drill w/agility paddles
    50 EZ
    10 x 25
    odds = free @ 100 pace @ :30
    evens = EZ @ :45
    50 EZ
    5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
    -- 5 free, 2 evil
    -- ran over kid