The FAF AFAP Digest

My USMS Page:
http://www.usms.org/people/038W8
Fort Flog:
http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/
My team:
Rockwall Aquatic Masters ("RAM")

1. Fri-Sun, April 27-29

by , April 29th, 2018 at 06:46 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)

Friday night: Swim/SCY @ Sewickley

Warm up:

500 various
    8 x 50 free w/paddles @ :50

Main sets:

6 x 100 free @ 1:30, first and last 25 fast
    -- I cruised these and did the odds kick

8 x 50 w/fins @ :55
    -- I did them 25 shooter + 25 EZ

8 x 50, 25 fast + 25 EZ

4 x 50 fast from the blocks
    NO! I don't even like diving off the blocks at Sewy ...
    Instead, I did 16 x 25 @ 100 pace @ :45

100 EZ

Total: 2800

Saturday:

11 miles on the treadmill

Sunday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ BP

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    8 x 25 shooters @ :40
    50 EZ

Main sets:

2 rounds with fins:

4 x 25 IM order @ 100 pace @ :40
    4 x 25 flutter kick @ 100 pace @ :40
    4 x 50 back kick, UW 15 m each length @ 1:00
    1 x 50 EZ @ 1:00
    4 x 100 free w/paddles, descend (R1 @ 1:50, R2 @ 2:00)
    4 x 25 flutter kick @ 100 pace @ :40
    1 x 200 EZ

Total: 3150

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was super tired after yesterday's effort on the treadmill ... Wasn't sure I could do a meaningful swim today. But the legs held up reasonably well. I went straight to the pool from brunch with no workout in mind. I think I need to consult my old HIT workouts and arm myself with some decent sets to do, since I'm not laser focused on sprinting right now.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Wed, April 25

by , April 27th, 2018 at 12:50 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was on the treadmill Monday and Tuesday. Went to Pitt on Wed night.

Swim/SCY @ Pitt

Warm up:

400 various
    6 x 50, 15 shooter + 25 back kick w/fins @ :55
    8 x 25 @ :40, I did odds shooters, evens single arm fly

Main sets:

3 rounds (there were 4 rounds but I got our early)
    1 x 200 IM fast @ 3:00 (did 100 free w/paddles on Rd 1 & 3; back kick on Rd 2)
    1 x 100 IM recover @ 2:10 (same pattern as above)
    1 x 100 stroke fast @ 2:40 (same pattern as above)

8 x 25 fast stroke @ :40
    1 x 100 EZ

Total: 2700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I drove to Hopkins after practice on Wed for my last ultrasound checkup. Things are about the same, starting to grow collaterals, but that process takes years. Dr Lum was somewhat astonished that I could still pull off a #1 ranking with completely occluded veins. I told him the only thing that saves me is my SDK. He's not very bullish on the long term success rate of vein bypass surgery and I am loathe to have more major surgery. So I trudge on growing collaterals.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Fri-Sun, April 19-21

by , April 22nd, 2018 at 05:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Friday: Swim/SCY @ Pitt

Warm up:

500 various
    5 x 100 free w/paddles, restricted breathing @ 2:00
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :45

Main sets:

8 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:00

8 rounds:
    1 x 50 fast @ 1:00
    1 x 50 EZ

-- I did the 50s @ 100ish pace. Went fly (26), free (25), free (24), free (24), back kick (:23 high), back kick (24), free (26). Quads were burning after this set.

300 EZ

Total: 2700

Saturday:

5 miles on treadmill

Sunday: Swim/SCY/Solo @ BP

Warm up:

500 various
    100 scull
    4 x 25 shooters
    50 EZ

Main sets:

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = fly or fly drill, evens = dolphin kick
    :30 rest
    3 x 100 free w/paddles @ 2:00
    4 x 25 fast fly @ :40
    1 x 50 EZ

odds = back, evens = back kick
    :30 rest
    3 x 100 free w/paddles @ 2:00
    4 x 25 fast back @ :40
    1 x 50 EZ

odds = breast, evens = flutter kick
    1 x 100 EZ (arms too tired to do 3 x 100 free)
    4 x 25 fast breast
    1 x 100 EZ

Total: 3250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I managed to squeeze in a couple workouts this weekend. But the main activity was cleaning up our garden beds and mulching. Nothing like manual labor to kick your ass. Today is about the first day that I haven't thought it was winter. Not that it was particularly warm, but at least there was some sunshine!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Wed, April 18

by , April 19th, 2018 at 11:28 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I took a few days off swimming after the meets and hit the treadmill. That made me feel a bit sloggy in the water but I was just cruising or going 100 pace anyway. Just did the workout without revisions. That's probably how I'll roll for awhile.

Swim/SCY @ Pitt:

Warm up:

400 various
    100 scull
    8 x 25 shooter + 25 back kick @ 1:00
    8 x 25 IM drill + 25 IM swim @ 1:05

Main sets:

4 rounds:

4 x 25 IM order @ :35
    :40 rest
    1 x 100 fast (cruised these)
    :45 rest
    4 x 25 IM order @ :35
    :40 rest
    1 x 50 fast
    1 x 50 EZ

100 EZ (got out a bit early)

Total: 3000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was surprisingly tired from the workout afterward. I guess I'm a bit out of shape from all the sprinting and then resting. I'm going to hit the treadmill today and maybe go to yoga.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Y Champs + 50 free

by , April 16th, 2018 at 07:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I swam in the Allegheny Mountain Y Champs at the Spire Institute recently, which is sanctioned for USMS. It was a mix of swimming frustration and fun with friends. I swam 7 events (that's the max) and DNF'd one. Each day, my events were all within 1.5 hours, which is no sprinter's dream. It went like this:

25 back, 13.5

This was a disaster. I didn't see the backstroke flags at all and crashed into the wall with my left elbow. I knew the crash was coming, but felt blind. My teammate in the same heat didn't see the wall either, and had a similar crash. This has never happened to me before ... Weird.

50 free, DNF

Well, the first length felt great, had a great start. But I misjudged the wall on the double bulkhead. I only got a toe on the wall and came to a complete dead stop. Since I had the 50 breast 20 minutes later, I just hopped out.

50 breast, 34.5

I was in a lovely mood at this point after a rough start to the meet. Wasn't dying to do this event as my breast has felt off and I went a sloth like 36 a few months ago. But the team needed points, so I got on the block and swam through it. I had a great start, but my breakouts were horrible. I got stuck underwater both lengths. I think I'm used to pushing off deep for SDKs. But perhaps need to go less deep or pull up more emphatically on the pull down for breast. Bill thought I would easily have been a 33 with better pullouts. This was at least an improvement.

25 fly, 12.6

Fourth event of the day, good enough. I didn't seem to mess up anything crucial on this one.

Next day ...

50 fly, 28.00

That .01 makes a difference, doesn't it? I blew at least .5 on the turn, maybe more, gliding in a huge amount. My stroke and kick counts aren't the same as they were pre-surgeries. The last few strokes felt really hard.

50 back, 29.2

Seems pretty mediocre for me. I spent most of the race worrying about the backstroke flags. I think this is contra-indicated to swim a good race.

25 breast, 15.5

Fine.

All in all, I was less than thrilled with this meet. I understand all the technical miscues from racing rust. That part could improve. And I know it is still very early days in my swim recovery/post-surgeries comeback. But it is not all that fun to feel like you are literally staggering to the wall or about to DQ in a race. And the bottom line is that I doubt that issue will ever change. Closed veins are closed veins. I'm not sure, even if I continue to build collaterals, that they are a real substitute for your actual subclavian and axillary veins.

BUT, I was unhappy with DNf-ing my 50 free. So, being the stubborn person that I am, I went to a meet at OSU the next weekend just to swim that one event so that at least I would have completed all four 50s this SCY season. (Note: I had to google the name of the meet to enter; It didn't come up in the calendar at first search. WTH with this new website.) I had been having suffering from insomnia for a bit (prolly a result of tapering and 23 & me says I'm a "light sleeper"), so felt tired. However, I managed to execute a very good flip turn on the double bulkhead wall. I got bogged down on the breakout of my Lochte turn, same as the Albatross meet. I probably need to modify or eliminate that turn now ... But moving my arms the last half length proved difficult and I went a 26.7, which ties my masters personal worst. Sure, I am older and have had a rough couple years. But it is still a lot slower than I have been since my very first masters meet.

Anyhoo, I did not sign up for nationals after the Spire meet. I am clearly not ready for prime time just based on racing rust and technical miscues. My times are, however momentarily, at the top of my 55-59 age group. I'm sure several will be knocked down at nationals. Super sick of tapering, I have been on the treadmill for 10 miles the last 2 days. I'm going to keep swimming, but I am not going to have a laser focus on sprinting that I have had the last month or so. Some aerobic work may actually help with re-vascularization. So I will swim and cross train the next couple months and then, poof, I am in Europe where I will not swim for 2.5 weeks. I'll re-evaluate meets in the fall. But right now, they don't feel fun. And shouldn't they at least be fun? Perhaps I am too much of a perfectionist to have fun. All I know is that swimming is difficult, at the moment. I thought that making a comeback would at least be an interesting anecdote to the inevitable decline of aging. But if a comeback is necessarily physically limited and so frustrating, is the comeback worth it? Philosophy question somewhat dependent on personality, I think.

Updated April 17th, 2018 at 10:15 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events
  6. April 4

by , April 4th, 2018 at 09:23 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I have been swimming. I was in NC the last week on spring break, but I swam at a local Y. Even met a fellow USMS swimmer in my age group there! The journey home was very long and fairly back breaking. I am going to rest hard for 5 days for our Y Champs at the Spire Institute. I'm doing all the 25s and 50s and the 50s will count for USMS. Here is the psych sheet: http://www.amymsa.org/Heatsheet.pdf

I swam at Pitt tonight, just did 1200. Felt super dreadful.

Like many, I am super peeved by the new USMS website. I couldn't access the blogs/forums last night. I cannot access My USMS. I tried to sign up for nationals. I couldn't, just got a blank blue page. Odd that they launch a new site right before the deadline for signing up for nationals. Why fix something that isn't broke and give it a super bland front page?
    Categories
    Swim Workouts