Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny100
    Awesome times Fort. I am struggling with my 50 Backstroke. Any day I can get below 40 secs is good for me. I must keep working on the breakout phase and quit doing small S turns down the lane. It just is what it is.
    Thanks Kenny. I guess our bodies ability just changes over time, sometimes involuntarily. Breakouts can be hard. Practice from the blocks!
    Awesome times Fort. I am struggling with my 50 Backstroke. Any day I can get below 40 secs is good for me. I must keep working on the breakout phase and quit doing small S turns down the lane. It just is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    So sorry for the psychological struggle. I agree with everything that Quicksilver posted. Triumph can be defined in many ways, but it almost always features adversity. I am going to do some research on how the body is triggered into forming collateral vessels. It seems to me that weight lifting remodels the heart by thickening the wall chambers so they can better withstand the huge elevation of blood pressure during dead lifts, etc. Aerobic exercise doesn't thicken walls so much as expand the interior volume so that you can pump more blood with each beat. My instinct tells me that the latter would also be more likely to promote collateral vessels, but this is just an educated guess. I will let you know if I find anything from coming the research literature!
    Thanks Jim. I've tried researching. There doesn't seem to be much out there. I am going to take a pause from adversity for awhile -- long course would be a disaster! Perhaps I'll aim for the Sprint Classic next fall.
    So sorry for the psychological struggle. I agree with everything that Quicksilver posted. Triumph can be defined in many ways, but it almost always features adversity. I am going to do some research on how the body is triggered into forming collateral vessels. It seems to me that weight lifting remodels the heart by thickening the wall chambers so they can better withstand the huge elevation of blood pressure during dead lifts, etc. Aerobic exercise doesn't thicken walls so much as expand the interior volume so that you can pump more blood with each beat. My instinct tells me that the latter would also be more likely to promote collateral vessels, but this is just an educated guess. I will let you know if I find anything from coming the research literature!
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    At the end of the day, attending handful of meets each year gives some purpose to keeping a routine, and leading a healthy and active lifestyle. The fun is a by-product of the competition experience that happens when you least expect it.

One step at a time. If victories came easy - there wouldn't be any reward -and little or no motivation to make improvements. Preaching to the choir here...so I'll stop. I predict that you'll be back, and that you'll be doing it with ease.
    Thanks Val. This is all quite true, and everything must be kept in perspective. It is somewhat tempting to run off and re-invent myself (as I did when I became a masters swimmer). But I find that my ties to the masters swim community are now pretty deep and compelling.
    As frustrating as it may have been - stuff happens. Getting rusty is inevitable when we don't race. It sounds as if you encountered both scenarios simultaneously unfortunately. Those are some respectable times tho, especially from what you've been through.

I had encountered a similar reality check at my first meet in five years as well. Rather than feeling too discouraged, the experience offered some insights on what needs to be fined tuned. Am I happy with the TT standings? - yes, sort of. But did it feel good leaving the starting block like a tree sloth? No. Lol ...At the end of the day, attending handful of meets each year gives some purpose to keeping a routine, and leading a healthy and active lifestyle. The fun is a by-product of the competition experience that happens when you least expect it.

One step at a time. If victories came easy - there wouldn't be any reward -and little or no motivation to make improvements. Preaching to the choir here...so I'll stop. I predict that you'll be back, and that you'll be doing it with ease.
    It's nice to see that you're swimming again.

Kind regards - Val
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    I wasn't able to log in for awhile too and have reset my login and password at least two or three times, and have had lots of trouble logging in from different locations. It also doesn't always let me login and access my workout logs. I finally just found the link to the forum at the bottom of the web page and that allowed access to the blog page.
    i just donít understand why they either intentionally created the chaos or didnít realize it would ensue.

I cleared cookies and got onto My USMS. But judging from the NSR thread, one might have to do that continually. No way.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    They probably had some consulting group review the website and advise them to become more "in touch" with current website trends.

More and more websites look like word press sites. I find them to look cheap and bland. Personally, I didn't see anything wrong with the old usms website. I thought it was clean, easy to navigate, and provided all the necessary information.

My personal opinion, usms wasted a lot of good money on a bad idea.
    Agree, unfortunately. I wonder what personnel changes prompted it? Nothing is easy to navigate now. I couldnít even find a meet I was looking for on the calendar of events yesterday. Had to google. At this rate, people will sign up for fewer meets. Except nationals, of course, which is a merchandising extravaganza.
    I wasn't able to log in for awhile too and have reset my login and password at least two or three times, and have had lots of trouble logging in from different locations. It also doesn't always let me login and access my workout logs. I finally just found the link to the forum at the bottom of the web page and that allowed access to the blog page.
    They probably had some consulting group review the website and advise them to become more "in touch" with current website trends.

More and more websites look like word press sites. I find them to look cheap and bland. Personally, I didn't see anything wrong with the old usms website. I thought it was clean, easy to navigate, and provided all the necessary information.

My personal opinion, usms wasted a lot of good money on a bad idea.
    Glad to see that you are back in the water, Fort.
    I found a Speedo LZR Racer Pro (how many descriptors do they need?!) in a size that actually fits on sale for half off the other day and jumped on it. They had FSIIs on sale too but about 3 sizes too big.

And yes, all signed up to beat the entry fee increase - I'm excited! Hope to see you and other blog denizens there. My age group (25-29) looks like it's one heck of a minefield, glad I only have one more year in it :P
    Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge
    Tech suits are so stupid expensive now... I thought they'd go back down in price after supersuit years but I guess not. All I really want is one of the old FSIs!
    Yeah, now the highest end tech suits cost much more than the banned B70s and last a much shorter time ... I really just want my old Arena carbon pro, but those are long gone now. I see you signed up for Indy -- fantastic! I am tentatively planning on going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Take up skiing, snowshoeing, curling, ice-fishing, (well maybe not, that seems to be more about drinking beer than sports) ice-climbing, something that makes winter worth looking forward to. It's a little hard in PA though because winter isn't quite wintery enough for many of those activities,
    Despite growing up in MN, I have no taste for winter sports! The only thing that makes winter tolerable is a winter vacation. When Lil Fort goes off to college, I will be planning more of those.
    Tech suits are so stupid expensive now... I thought they'd go back down in price after supersuit years but I guess not. All I really want is one of the old FSIs!
    Can winter please be over?
    Take up skiing, snowshoeing, curling, ice-fishing, (well maybe not, that seems to be more about drinking beer than sports) ice-climbing, something that makes winter worth looking forward to. It's a little hard in PA though because winter isn't quite wintery enough for many of those activities,
    Quote Originally Posted by Sojerz
    Good to see you are back in the pool and at a meet. Was hoping we weren't going to have to send "money, guns and lawyers" down to Central America and campaign to free Leslie.

Seems a good showing for the first meet in a long time - under :30 50 scm

In these dog days at the end of winter your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated!

Take care.
    Can winter please be over?

Thanks for the support Bill. I was sorry to read about your back; backs are such tricky things. Hope there is a reasonably easy fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks Patrick. I am able to swim, but unfortunately there is no "full recovery" for me because three of my major veins are closed.
    I should have termed this 'recovery enough to race,' which is remarkable progress, right?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Have you been regularly swimming?
    Yes and kind of. I was going really well through the end of January, but then February was an up and down affair. I should be back in the saddle by next week.
    Good to see you are back in the pool and at a meet. Was hoping we weren't going to have to send "money, guns and lawyers" down to Central America and campaign to free Leslie.

Seems a good showing for the first meet in a long time - under :30 50 scm

In these dog days at the end of winter your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated!

Take care.
Page 1 of 898 123451151101501 ... LastLast