View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. MRI, Wed., Oct. 24

by , October 24th, 2012 at 06:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I did nada today. Worked on house reno things.

I did get my written MRI results back. I have mild tendinosis in a couple spots, which is consistent with tennis elbow. But the real problem, and likely what has been causing my pain, is completely different. I have avulsion tears in two places: the lateral collateral ligament is partially torn from the humerus and there is avulsion (separation from the bone) of the common extensor tendon. Avulsion tears are really the opposite of tennis elbow -- your tendons are so strong that they break off the bone.

Jim sent me the snippet below on avulsion tears. I'm going to assume optimistically that mine are not large enough to be surgical. I have a consulting appt tomorrow with my PRP doc. I'm not even sure if this type of problem is treatable with PRP; I hope so. (I'm also not sure whether my nitro patches have done anything ... And this certainly explains why acupuncture was an epic fail.)

So it's very clear that (1) tennis elbow may be the least of my problem and only partially indicated; (2) good thing I didn't just go in for expensive PRP without an MRI -- it might not have helped and now I know the exact places and types of injury; (3) good thing I got an MRI -- I did not have garden variety tennis elbow as Jim thought. So far, my doctoring beats Jim's. MRI completely vindicated.

How the hell long does this take to heal?! I waited 8 months after the initial problem and promptly exacerbated it when I returned to lifting. Moral of the story: be very very careful increasing weight when deadlifting.

Psych sheet for Sprint Classic:
    http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=4129

Abstract

It is still controversial whether fresh avulsion fractures of the medial or lateral epicondyle of the humerus in adults should be treated conservatively or surgically. We monitored 12 patients to consider treatment selection. The patients were examined for site and size of bone fragment, degree of displacement, dislocation of the elbow joint, method of treatment, and bone union and elbow stability. The treatment results were scored according to the Elbow Assessment Score System, and the scores ranged from 86 to 100 points. The scores did not differ significantly among any of the patients, whether treated conservatively or surgically. Although surgery produces good results, conservative treatment can be selected for patients in whom the maximum diameter of bone fragment is 13 mm or less or the displacement of the bone fragment is 9 mm or less. (J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2000;9:59-64.)

Updated October 24th, 2012 at 10:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Sunday, June 17

by , June 17th, 2012 at 09:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Gym:

RC exercises, 25 min

-- Skipped these for 2 days and my shoulder could feel it. Grr.

Stretching/Yoga, 35 min

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That was it. That was absolutely all I could squeeze in this action packed weekend. Don't feel rested though, the opposite actually from lack of sleep. The weekend was all about Lil Fort (track champs and soccer tournament) and Mr. Fort (father's day). Lil Fort ran 2 PRs, grabbed a gold medal in the 3000 and qualified for Nationals in late July. She has a lot of endurance for someone who doesn't really train. I guess that's the way it should be at her age.

No rest for the weary. Our 6 week summer league season starts in earnest tomorrow with our first meet. However, it will be a quieter week around the house with Teen Fort shipped off to rowing camp in Boston.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Sat., June 9

by , June 9th, 2012 at 04:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    4:00 VK (flutter, breast & dolphin)

Speed/Power Sets:

-- Didn't use fins on any of this. The right side of my foot was bothering me.

5 x (:30 VK + :30 rest)
    -- held 10 lb dive brick
    -- 3 dolphin, 1 breast, 1 flutter (hardest)
    -- this wasn't easy!
    100 EZ

4 x 50 torque drills w/agility paddles @ 1:30
    50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP backstroke from a push
    -- 29 low, 16 & 17 SDK per 25
    -- didn't want to go from blocks b/c I was worried about cramping
    100 EZ

10 x 50 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:15
    -- 5 dolphin kick w/board, 5 fast hand drills
    masters minute

10 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- did dolphin kick on back, 15-16 SDK
    -- heart rate was elevated the whole time b/c I was UW 15 meters each time
    100 EZ

8 x 25 torque drill w/agility paddles & parachute @ 1:10
    -- first time I've tried this with a parachute, kinda liked it as a drill for explosiveness and power for fly

8 x 25 breast pull w/parachute & paddles @ 1:00

100 EZ

Total: 2650 + VK

I was thrilled that the pool wasn't crowded today! Usually weekends are a disaster, but perhaps the summer weather has everyone outdoors. I enjoyed the workout too. Well, perhaps not the VK with the dive brick.

I'm pretty booked tomorrow so that will be my off day. Hope to get in a stretch though. Off to do RC exercises now.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Friday, June 8

by , June 8th, 2012 at 03:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM w/ Julie & Susan:

Made it out to Rockville for a LCM swim. Because it's been sunny & 70 here, the water was an inviting 78 degrees. So nice!

Warm up:

600 various

5 x 100
    -- 25 UW on the first length
    -- some drilling and 200ish pace work

Speed Sets:

-- Even distance swimmer Julie did some AFAP efforts here!

8 x 50 @ ample rest to chat with Susan
    1-4 = burst to approx 20 m + cruise
    5 = back @ 100 pace
    6 = EZ
    7 = back @ 100 pace
    8 = EZ

100 EZ

1 x AFAP 100 back w/fins
    -- went 1:04
    -- Julie said I was "all over the place," which I was and which is why competing outside is silly for backstrokers.
    -- I'm also veering off to the left somewhat, I think, because of my injured/weaker left shoulder. I noticed this on my 50 (er, 52 yard) back vid from Nats

150 EZ

1 x AFAP 50 fly w/fins
    -- went 27
    -- two timers both got :27

100 EZ

Total: 2000

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I really wanted to do another AFAP 50, but I had to run off to an event at Lil Fort's school. Still, I was pleased with those two timed efforts. The 100 back felt really solid. I didn't feel like I was dying and didn't loaf the first 50. I want to do a couple more of these next week since I'll be swimming the 100 back at Nats (as a split in the 200). Current WR/NR is 1:13.55. That could be tough. Susan estimates 5 seconds from SCM to LCM. And the tech suit ban seems to effect me much more in LCM than short course.

I would like to get in a swim this weekend. Hope the lanes won't be overwhelmed with noodlers and lap swimmers.

I'm getting very excited about all the swimming coming up -- Worlds, OTs, Masters Nats, Olympics.

Updated June 8th, 2012 at 05:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Monday, May 21

by , May 21st, 2012 at 03:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters
    8 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI
    odds = caterpillar
    evens = single arm
    50 EZ

Speed/Ultra Short Distance Sets:

1 x 75 fast fly w/fins @ 95%
    -- 38 mid
    225 EZ

1 x 75 fast back w/fins @ 95%
    -- 37 flat
    225 EZ

10 x 25
    12.5 burst dolphin kick w/board, cruise to wall, :20 RI
    no masters minute

10 x 25
    15 m burst dolphin kick w/board, cruise to wall, :25 rest
    100 EZ

10 x 25
    15 m burst, cruise to wall, :30 rest
    odds = back shooter
    evens = fast hands breast
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP back w/fins
    -- 23 low
    -- tired
    200 EZ

Total: 3050

The body is predictably sore from the weekend's mega yoga and drylands. I was pretty tired by the third set of ultra short distance reps. My heart rate was elevated during all 30. I'd now like to wrap my body from head to toe in compression garments.

I did hear from someone running the Cleveland meet who assured me they would submit times to USMS, take split requests, etc. I'm still not sure which meet to attend. It's possible the Cleveland meet may be so small that it only runs a couple hours each day. All things considered, getting sufficient rest is the most important factor if I'm going to bother to taper & travel. So feeling indecisive still, but leaning toward Omaha.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Friday, April 13

by , April 13th, 2012 at 05:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    1000 EZ
    More hot tubing than swimming

Feed Jimby

Stretching and rehab on GMU pool deck with SwimmieAvsFan

Big hugs with Chowmi!!!!

Preparing to count for crazy distance swimmers.

Mega chatting
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sat., March 3

by , March 3rd, 2012 at 04:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    60 minutes of stretching and RC/scapular exercises.

Gull (who is recovering rhomboid tendonitis) gave me these rhomboid stretches: http://www.ndortho.com/Pt_Advisor-WE...oid_Strain.pdf. The middle of the back can be a hard spot to stretch. I especially like the doorway stretch.

Suit(s) Report:

Tried on my Arena X-Glide. Like it very much. It's similar to the LZR Elite. Slightly different material. I wish the top half were slightly smaller. Not sure if I should keep it or not ... My LZR Elite seems to fit better on top, though it is not as compressing in the legs (probably all stretched out). Edit: I'm going to send back the Arena suit for the next size down. In my (expert haha ) view, it should have taken longer to get on even with Glide. Thanks to Teen Fort (who will only wear B70), I have also gotten my hands on a used FS3. I managed to wedge my body into it without undue trouble. So I may give that suit a whirl tomorrow and see it it is deserving of the recent bad press. Tt is certainly more compressing in the legs than the LZR Elite and has a very different feel.

Still planning on 50 breast/50 fly/50 back tomorrow.

Updated March 3rd, 2012 at 05:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Sunday, Feb. 26

by , February 26th, 2012 at 05:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Rehab exercises, 40 minutes

Stretching/Foam Roller, 40 minutes

After feeling pretty rough last Friday, I resolved to take the weekend off. The lack of a recovery week since Dec., combined with a lot of HIT workouts, probably caused some accumulated fatigue. I was also worried I might be coming down with a cold, but after marathon sleep last night, feel better.

I did sign myself up for the Warrenton meet next Sunday.

And I'm very proud of my Lil Fort who took a minute off her PR and ran a 21:40 5K today. She seems like a natural runner.

Fort Son's coach told him to take 7-10 days off rowing/lifting to try to speed his mono recovery. He's hoping to feel better by his training trip over spring break.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Monday, Feb. 20

by , February 20th, 2012 at 05:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    8 x 25 free w/paddles, no breath @ :35
    5 x 50 double torque drill w/paddles @ 1:15
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

8 x 25 burst to 15 m + cruise @ 1:00
    -- 4 speed drills, 4 dolphin
    50 EZ

Then I did a modified version of a speed set from workout #4 in the HIT forum: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20228"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

4 x (5 x 50 w/fins) @ 1:30
    -- 100 EZ between each round

1-5: free
    5/7/9 strokes fast, fast 25 (10), fast 25 (10)
    6-10: dolphin kick on back
    8/10/12 kicks fast, fast 25 (9 flat), fast 25 (8 high)
    11-15: breast
    4/5/6 strokes fast, fast 25 (13 high), fast 25 (13 high)
    16-20: dolphin kick on belly
    10/12/14 kicks fast, fast 25 (9 high), fast 25 (9 high)

8 x 25 w/parachute @ 1:15
    1-4: free w/paddles & chute
    5-8: flutter kick w/board & chute -- these were ridiculously hard
    100 EZ

Total: 3250

Stretching & Rehab Exercises, 45 minutes

Couldn't get to yoga today with it being a school holiday, but did get this speed workout in. It's very quiet in the house with Teen Fort in Boston today. Despite the fact that it's sunny and 50 there, highly unusual for Feb., she thinks it's "cold and ugly." She likely just knows that I love Boston, so has decided to take the opposite view. On a happier note, Mr. Fort has completely dropped the notion of an early April vacation. His training partner over dinner agreed with me that it was unworkable and unfair. Heehee.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Sunday, Feb. 5

by , February 5th, 2012 at 08:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

I took yesterday off as usual. But I did do 40 minutes of RC, elbow and scapular exercises, with an emphasis on the scapular area. Fun ... NOT!

Today I hit the gym and did:

Another 30 minutes of RC, elbow, scapular exercises
    Total ab machine, 130 x 4 x 15
    Explosive leg press, 270 x 4 x 10
    Leg extensions, 120 x 4 x 6
    Resisted lunges, 60 x 2 x 15 left/right, 15 front
    Leg abductors, 130 x 3 x 8
    Captains chair, 2 x 25
    Altitude drops, 10
    Knee tuck jumps, 10
    Lateral bunny hops over bench, 20

Bike, 15 minutes
    Stretching, 15-20 minutes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Didn't swim this weekend, which is fine. The pools were mostly closed anyway for a USAS meet and HS Regionals. The latter was fun to watch with almost every event won in an AAA time at finals. Sophomore star Janet Hu went a 53.7 100 back and 49.5 100 free. Sick fast.

The only disappointing part of the meet was that the free anchor of Teen Fort's medley relay loafed to save herself for the next event. I was shocked and really pissed off; I've not seen anything that flagrant at a champs meet where team points matter. Two other girls were also in the next event, one in an earlier heat, and they swam fast. Her mother apparently told her to loaf. Wtf. I was also ticked because Teen Fort took some time off rowing and gave up going to the Mid Atlantic Erg Sprints to be with her team and swim at this meet. Her good deed was rewarded in part with an outright selfish and ethically dubious act. At least the coaches were displeased and are going to take some action. Personally, I think they should pull the brat out of the event she loafed the relay for. But I doubt that will happen.

Go Patriots!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Thursday, Nov. 7

by , November 17th, 2011 at 07:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I did an even shorter workout than Speedo today. 0 yardage. My day was booked solid and I am still not 100%. So I figured a rest day wouldn't hurt, and might set up a good speed workout tomorrow.

In other news, I've been asking around and doing some research to see if there are any personal trainers/strength coaches I might trust in the area. I've been pretty happy (and lucky) having Q and Jazz giving me many pointers over the years and learning OMO. But I'm still curious. The best person in my immediate area seems to be a guy named Justin Case who owns Underground Athlete. http://www.undergroundathlete.com/. I may try a couple sessions after Xmas to see what I think.

I'm also not that thrilled with my current massage therapist. I might try a new place soon that caters to endurance athletes: http://www.transitionsmassage.com/. Take note Speedo, this is very close to you. Will call tomorrow to see if I can book an appt the day after the LC meet.

I was also offered (and accepted) a position as one of the USMS on line coaches. (Scott Bay of BluFrog suggested it.) They are broadening the types of workout focus next year. My theme is "high intensity." Any good suggestions for a title for my sub-forum?

Oh, I can't get my USMS blue seventy code to work. Anyone else have any luck?

Updated November 17th, 2011 at 08:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Speed Bump, Oct. 24

by , October 24th, 2011 at 12:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    The path to swim meets is never easy ...

Started feeling sick on Friday night (fever, chills, stuffy, queasy) and was up most of the night. Was at The Couch the rest of the weekend. With Mr. Fort gone on Saturday, it was somewhat tortuous getting through all the kid things. I am at least somewhat ambulatory today, though still really not well at all. I may attempt a short slow swim in the pool just to keep feel, and then back to the couch. I used to fight these things more, but I found complete rest helps me recover more quickly. Not the best timing with the meet this weekend. But hopefully, I will only miss a few practices and at least feel better by the weekend. Just hope I can at least get a few fast 25s in before then.

Had my interview with Swimming World for the Lane Leader column today. Hope I wasn't too addled. Lane Leader is a semi-regular column featuring masters swimmers. It should come out in the December issue.

Updated October 24th, 2011 at 12:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Thursday, Oct. 20

by , October 20th, 2011 at 04:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    RC exercises, 20-25 minutes

Stretching/Yoga, 20-25 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last night, I started feeling some pain in the front of my right shoulder again. Same place as last August. Grr, bad timing. Icing! I decided to take a rest day and save the sprinting for later.

Also have a bit of a sore neck from erging, but that will improve with rest. Rich Abrahams told me that one of his favorite erg workouts is 10 x 500 with 1:00 rest. His best 500 time is 1:38, which is very fast.

Speaking of rowing, Mr. Fort is leaving tomorrow for the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston. Fort Son is taking the bus down with other frosh rowers to watch his team. (Freshman don't row in this event.) Mr. Fort has some nagging intercostal pain. It's always something in masters ...

In other news, Swimming World Magazine sent an email to my team trying to locate me for a Lane Leader article in the mag. Cool.

If you're on FB, here's some exercises that Brooke Bennett is doing with her strength coach:
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50415341123383
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50415360538383
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50415421483383

Updated October 20th, 2011 at 07:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Friday, June 17

by , June 17th, 2011 at 08:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

TRX rows, 25
    TRX face pulls, 20
    TRX sprinter starts, 20
    TRX chest press, 2 x 15
    TRX fly, 2 x 15
    TRX moving plank, 2 x 15
    Knee tuck jumps, 10
    Overhead med ball slams, 2 x 15

Bike, 20 minutes

-----------------------------------------

Commentary:

Squeezed this little workout in in an extremely hectic day. Made it to Fort Sons graduation -- not too many tears. And my flight to London is on time. Hope the connection to Barclona is too. We're cutting it very tight, which is slightly nerve wracking.

Hoping the wifi works on this trip!

Ciao.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Retry, Swim w/my Ilk, Tuesday, June 7

by , June 7th, 2011 at 09:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/LCM @ Rockville:

Warm up:

600 various

10 x 50
    odds = 25 drill + 25 swim
    evens = 25 kick + 25 swim

Main Sets:
    -- used fins

10 x 50 back kick
    odds = fast SDK to 25 + 25 easy kick
    evens = easy SDK to 25 + 25 fast kick

4 x through tempo swim:
    2 x 50 back
    1 x 100 back

100 EZ

2 x (fast 50 fly + easy 50)
    1 x (50 fly @ 100 pace & 100 breathing + 50 EZ

Total: 2800 m

Commentary:

Journeyed to MD again today. This time to the outdoor LCM pool in Rockville MD (only 25 minutes). Met up with Julie Roddin and Susan Williams. Julie brought me Luna bars. Julie swam with Susan and I during warm up, and then wisely ditched us for her Bay buddies who seem like they can swim forever. I swam the main sets with Susan who, as many may know, has mad skillz at back and SDK. Wow, pretty cool swimming with someone my own kind and my own speed! Susan loves the alpha fins. I keep forgetting that I own these and should probably try them for swimming (not kicking). There was no pace clock. Susan and I took a fair bit of rest on the main sets. I suck at long course, so I'm feeling pretty tired after that.

I pulled my blog a couple days ago after all the nastiness and moral superiority (gah) on the sandbag thread. I personally don't care whether swimmers manipulate their seed times for any reason. And I do love our fiesty forum with a lot of debate & trash talking. But I don't need to be called an immoral cheater by the likes of Stillwater, et al. And having spoken to more women on FB, they feel the same way I do about mixed gender meets. What a shocker! Friends persuaded me to take my blog (always bereft of that crap) off invisible. Hopefully, everyone can stick to making fun of my workouts or my fins or my height or whatever else you can think of!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  16. Thursday, May 12

by , May 12th, 2011 at 11:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC work
    standing barbell shoulder press, 50 x 5 x 5
    -- Never done this before. They got easier as I went along. Can this be an alternative to bench pressing in the "push" category?
    seated row negatives, 80 x 3 x 8
    deadlift singles, 145 x 6
    tricep press, 50 x 2 x 8
    back extensions, 25 x 1 x 15
    --- Hamstrings were sore from bikram and this exercise bothered them.
    chin ups, 3 x 4
    -- Well, I can tell I haven't done these in half a century.
    box jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10

20 minutes foam roller, yoga & stretching

Swim/LCM @ GMU:

Warm up:

200 S-K-D-K-D

Main Sets:

2 x 100 free
    50 tricep finish drill + 50 overkick free

4 x 200 kick w/fins @ 4:00
    50 flutter kick w/board
    50 fast dolphin kick on back
    50 backstroke kick
    50 flutter kick w/board
    -- Went 2:36, 2:34, 2:32, 2:32, not bad for LC.

100 EZ

9 x 100 @ 2:00
    3 x 100 25 fast fly + 75 easy free
    3 x 100 25 fast back + 75 easy free
    3 x 100 25 fast breast + 75 easy free
    -- On the 75 free, I did a 25 back kick after the sprint so I could catch my breath and then a 50 free.
    --- Speedo and I agreed that "easy free" doesn't seem so easy in LC.

50 fast stroke from a dive
    -- I went fly with fins from a push. The coach must have given me a serious roll start b/c I saw 28 on the clock. I did, however, cheat and stay under for about 20 meters after the push.

50 EZ

6 x 100 pull @ 1:35, 2nd & 5th ones fast
    -- I did them all mod speed, 3 pull & 3 kick -- was all tuckered out.

50 EZ (instead of 200)

Total: 3700 m

Commentary:

Enjoyed the workout. Didn't feel as much like I was swimming in open water during the warm up and felt pretty strong until the last 6 x 100 set.

The Charmer was extra charming tonight. He is a "purist" and believes in the "integrity of the set" (even though he won't use equipment when it's assigned). His "times" are about "what is on the GMU record board," his brother is going to beat Kirk Nelson in some OW swim with salmon in the name, and he is hoping to swim his college times (really?) and loves to talk about them. At some point, fortunately, I had the opportunity to fill him in a tad on Speedo's speed and defend our one team breaststroker. Despite swimming in the same lane, he hasn't even asked what my name is. Sheesh!

Updated May 13th, 2011 at 11:20 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  17. Tuesday, April 19

by , April 19th, 2011 at 08:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had a fabulous weekend in Boston! The city was packed with runners and the atmosphere was great. All the first timers, including Mr. Fort, couldn't believe the level of crowd support. There were crowds cheering every inch of the way. It was also a beautiful day for running and spectating (unlike today).

Mr. Fort was hoping to go a 3:30, but ended up at 3:40. I thought 3:30 was optimistic given that he'd hardy run in 3 weeks. But he was on pace until the Newton Hills. Oddly, he had no hamstring issues -- it was his quads that betrayed him after the long downhills. His training partner completely blew up on mile 18. In fact, I didn't hear very many people that were happy with their times. Still, he was happy to finish, and very happy that he and Lil Fort got to run the 5K on Sunday. He has to now re-evaluate whether he wants to run another marathon to get a BQ for next year (maybe Lehigh in Sept.) or continue to focus on biking as he did most of last year.

As I predicted, I didn't swim for 3 days. I estimate that I got about 10 miles of walking in though, so that was probably good for the legs. I sat in the whirlpool for a long time on Sunday, but only did about 10 laps in the hotel pool -- too crowded. Unfortunately, I got very little sleep and am now extremely tired. I can't sleep in hotels at all.

I'm also having some second thoughts about Canadian Nationals. May-June is going to be a very busy time (regattas, soccer, trip to Dartmouth, summer swim starting, mom visiting, graduation), not a good time for a trip. And I just realized today, doh, that the meet is the same weekend as the Stotesbury Regatta in Philly where both my kids will be rowing. http://www.boathouserow.org/rega11/scr11.html. On the the other hand, if I don't go, I likely will not have a masters meet until late August. The other option is to re-join USAS and do either the local VA or MD LC State Champs the end of May or beginning of June. I'll have to mull it over. Maybe after a couple days sleep, I'll be dying to go.

I received my Speedo silicone low profile nose clips in the mail. They are absolute crap too -- way too big. I need to return those and the TYR clips. My regular Speedo competition nose clip is sold out almost everywhere, but I finally found a site that had them in stock and ordered 8.

Updated April 19th, 2011 at 09:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  18. CZ: No Easy Speed

by , April 17th, 2011 at 02:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday:

50 free split, 25.9:

Was a bit sluggish in warm up, as I had been all week. Felt like I was spinning my wheels a bit on this race. At first I was disappointed with my time. However, upon reflection, it's not too bad for several reasons. First, the starter held us forever and I got off the blocks extremely slowly for me. I think this likely cost me a couple tenths. Second, I swam a 25.7 last year in a kneeskin with a good start and I felt more rested then. I also swam a 26.2 in Richmond in a B70 on short rest. Since I have worked so little on free lately, don't think I can expect much more. I really need to do some fast 50 frees before Canadian Nats.

50 back split on relay, 28.2

I was held a REALLY long time on the start and got off slowly. Coach said I was perilously close to the 15 meter mark. Both breakouts were not super smooth and my legs felt tired. Jim video'd the race and my turnover slowed down the last 7-8 yards. At first when I touched, I thought my time was 28.8, and was not very happy. Later I saw it was 28.2, and that's pretty good on short rest with the technical issues. I was tired after this race (as I had been all week) and considered scratching the 100 back. I felt like I had no easy speed and therefore knew it would be exceedingly painful. But I decided that would be silly.

100 back, 1:03.5

Decided to use the same strategy I used at the Albatross meet, but I was tired from the start. My splits were pretty even: 30.7 and 32.7. But
    my legs were toast and the quads were screaming afterward. The last time I swam the 100 back, in a Jaked at Nats, I went 1:01.9 fully tapered and as the only event I swam that day. So this is probably about right on short rest and as the third event of the day.

Two other thoughts. First, I realize the I have never swum the 100 back in yards untapered. No wonder -- it's painful when the legs aren't rested. Second, not sure I agree with
    Quick and Speedo about not dying as much on a 100 back. When you spend so much time underwater, I think the oxygen debt and energy cost is greater.

100 fly on 400 medley relay, 1:04

Before the relay, I had some concerns about
    making it through this race with shot legs. I was not able to kick as far as usual and had one of my worst pianos ever in the last 10 yards. Honestly, I thought I had gone a 1:08. So I was surprised to see a 1:04. My recollection is that I've swum a 1:04 every year I've done this relay
    at the end of the day.

50 free lead off on 200 free relay:

Had only 3-4 minutes rest after the 100 fly. didn't even bother to think about kicking. Got off the blocks faster on this one, but had
    nothing. 26.9. Same time I went last year on this relay with the same lack of rest.

--------------------------------------------------

Commentary:

Whew, survived. . I missed my B70 yesterday -- I think that suit helped when the going gets tough and the legs are dead! I felt less rested for this meet than I did the Warrenton meet. Not sure why. It could be that I trained harder the week before I took a few easy days? Every event felt harder. It is interesting though that my last two relay times were the same as prior years with B70s. If anything, I tend to think that my training is even less suited now to swimming 5 events in a day.

After the meet, I hurried home to go to the airport with the fam. Because of the weather, we were delayed 3.5 hours and didn't get to our hotel until midnight. I only had about 3 hours sleep. Felt bad for Lil Fort, but she was still game to get up very early for her 5K with Mr. Fort. And she ran great. She chopped off major time, ending in around 26:40 and descended every mile. And she had a huge smile on her face whenever I saw her on the course! Mr. Fort said his hamstring didn't bother him, so that was good. We are back from lunch and expo shopping. Dinner with friends later.

Hope everyone swam well today! I saw Speedo put in a very nice 200 free after all that pressure.

Updated April 17th, 2011 at 03:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  19. Tuesday, April 5

by , April 5th, 2011 at 04:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Speedo @ OakMarr:

Warm up:

500 various
    200 fly drills
    10 x 25 back shooters
    100 scull

Main Sets:

12 x 75 backstroke kick @ 1:30
    4x through:
    3rd 25 fast
    2nd 25 fast
    1st 25 fast
    -- "Fast" for me was about 100 pace
    -- This is a great set but was more troublesome than usual for me: got a cramp, kept losing my nose clip and generally did not have enough rest to stay under. I did 8 w/o fins and then 4 w/fins to get more rest.

100 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ) @ 3:00
    -- 2 free (11 lows), 2 belly shooters (high 10, 11), 1 breast (14), 1 back shooter (11 low)

100 EZ

4 x 25 bursts

50 EZ

-- Pete left and, to my surprise, Lil Fort's coach from last year hopped in my lane. (He's coaching an age group session in the afternoon at Oak Marr now.) This caused a delay of workout b/c he's a fly-back-SDK-er and we had to chat. He also asked about my parachute. I gave him the masters pitch, but he is obsessed with triathlon at the moment.

20 x 25
    odds = power shooter w/parachute & fins
    (5 belly, 5 back)
    evens = EZ kick on back for air

100 EZ

Total: 3350/1900 kick

Commentary:

Glad I could get this workout in with Speedo before he starts really slacking off next week. I think he is slightly addled about 12 x 75 kick, no fins @ 1:30 being a "taper" set though. Edit: whoops, he isn't tapering yet.

I'm working on my entry for Canadian Nationals. In light of the order of events and that fact that I'm not staying to swim on Monday, I'm entering: 200 IM (50 fly split), 100 fly, 50 fly, 100 breast, 100 free (50 split), 100 back & 100 IM. Pretty good OOE for me with the magic of split requests, except for the 100 IM being last. Canada does not actually have split request forms to pre-submit. The officials fill out an event card before the race and treat it as a separate event. I've never swum the 100 breast in SCM before; I'm going to add 12+ seconds to my B70 yard time.

I'm planning on a few days of recovery starting on Monday so I won't swim like a dead fish the following Saturday at Zones. I'm entered in: 100 free (50 split), 200 mixed medley relay (back leg & split), 50 breast, 100 back, women's 400 medley relay (fly leg), and women's 200 free relay. Think I may scratch the 50 breast as this is already an obscene number of events for me. But that's fine with the two relays at the end. This will be my last day of swimming in the 45-49 age group.

Jimslie finally entered Zones and will be arriving next Friday. He also announced recently that he wasn't sure if 3 week tapers really helped. His idea of a taper is "not to abuse yourself the week before." Not sure about mid-D types, but this does not work for sprinters. Or at least the way I train.

Am going to use the foam roller later. Think I will lay off the legs tomorrow. I'm more tired after that then I was from yesterday's 2 workouts.

Updated April 5th, 2011 at 09:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Uncategorized
  20. Friday, April 1

by , April 1st, 2011 at 10:07 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Got up early and sent Lil Fort off to Girls on the Run at 7:30 and then headed right to the gym.

Drylands:

bench press, 120 x 2 x 15
    deadlift, 200 x 2 x 10
    back squats, 280 x 2 x 10
    bicep curls, 100 x 2 x 8
    leg press, 450 x 2 x 8

-- bagged core work for today and hit the pool for a longish recovery type swim.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

10 x 50 shooters @ :55

Main sets:

8 x 300 cruise free, no fins @ 15 RI

10 x 50 fly @ 1:00

100 free for time: :57

200 EZ

Total: 4300

Commentary:

Wow, it's amazing how much of the day is left when one works out in the morning. Have to do this more often!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast