View RSS Feed

Masters Swim Meets / Events

Meet / OW event plans and results from U.S. Masters Swmming events in this category.

1. NE Champs, Day 2, Dec. 12

by , December 13th, 2010 at 12:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 2:

I was very tired after day 1's 250 medley and hoping for a "dead to the world" type sleep, but it was not to be. I was too hyped up and caffeinated. But this is typical during a meet for me. Headed over to the pool with SwimmieAvsFan for a leisurely warm up. I felt pretty smooth, though the legs were a bit leaden and fatigued.

100 back, 1:10.26:

I was fairly nervous for this event, much like the 100 fly. There were no flyover starts in backstroke at this meet, so I was a tad peeved when the starter decided to start my heat (the final one) with a swimmer still in my lane. Slightly distracting.

I had a slight cramp in my left calf on the start, which I'm sure was due to fatigue, as I had no cramping problems on day 1. But it wasn't too bad -- not nearly as bad as the cramp I had off the start in the 100 back in Indy last year. So I compensated by not kicking quite as hard or far underwater and not going out fast. The rest of the race was fine; I think I was somewhat lazy on my turns though. Splits were 33.68/36.58.

Given the wobbly start, I was very happy and surprised with my final time of 1:10.26. I had been hoping to break 1:12. Last year, I swam a 1:10.9 (B70) and 1:09.5 (Jaked, I think), so this was my second fastest time ever and very close to my super suit times, off by only .7 and I didn't have any cramping issues on my swim at Boston last year. According to the GBC converter, my time of 1:10.26 converts 1:01.56, which is actually .4 faster than my 100 back from Atlanta swum in a Jaked.

Stud video'd this race for me and I reviewed it on the camera. My arms looked like they were moving in super slow mo compared to my 50 backs until the final 25. (I noticed the same thing in my 100 back from Atlanta.) I don't seem to have a true 100 speed turnover. I suppose this is due to my fear of dying on these events. I think my 100s would benefit from a more aggressive approach. But I would have to train more specifically for it. I'll download the video later.

50 fly, 30.39

There was not much time between the 100 back and 50 fly - even Chris mentioned this. I would have preferred another 30 minutes of rest or so. I would even have gladly taken 2 hours.

I felt extremely tired during the race -- was just powering through it. Both breakouts were sub par, as confirmed by Muppet. Which is a bit disappointing because 3 out of 4 of my 100 fly breakouts were solid. But I had a fast turn and I nailed the finish with no glide at all.

Very happy with the time, which is 1.2 faster than I swam at the Albatross meet earlier in the year. It's still .7 slower than I went last year, but I think the suits effect the short axis strokes more. Using the GBM converter, this converts to a 27.3 in SCY, which is only .3 off my best time in a Jaked from Atlanta.

This time also lands me 2nd in the current event rankings behind the amazing SVDL, so I am thrilled with that!

Scratches:

I scratched the open 50 back and 100 free. Every muscle in my body was sore and aching by then and I didn't think I'd go any faster than 31.14 in the open 50.* (I think the winning time in that event was a 31.6.) Plus, the pool conditions/air quality were causing me sinus and wheezing problems (which are worse today, blech). And 6 events is plenty for a wimpy sprinter! I was amped-out. So I just relaxed for a couple hours, chatted and watched my friends' races before ravenously wolfing down real food and heading to the airport.

* Jimslie texted me that this time was the second fastest time swum in any age group so far this year in SCM.

Summary:

Last SCM meet in my current age group!

50 back, 31.14
    50 fly, 30.3
    50 breast, 38.9
    50 free, 28.77
    100 back, 1:10.26
    100 fly, 1:10.22

Very pleased with all the times. (Just wish I had gotten a 100 IM time.) I was hesitant about signing up for this meet initially since I only had about 4-5 weeks of really solid training before my 2 week taper. But I'm glad I did. I think I might have "drifted" too much in training without a goal meet to break things up. And now I'm ready to get back to some non-taper workouts. Though I may not get in much training this week with xmas looming - I am way behind. Plus, I have that nice post taper meet "hit by a mack truck" feeling.

It was pretty dicey getting back from Boston last night (torrential rain there and high winds here). SwimmieAvsFan and Muppet's flight was cancelled and they were stranded there. My flight was very delayed and I didn't arrive home until 1:00 am. But it was all worth it!

And Fort Son had fun tooling around Boston and checking out schools. I was happy he didn't get lost on the MBTA!

Unofficial Results:

http://www.vaswim.org/meets/results/...sults_2010.htm

And on those results is my split request from the 200 back. Whew. (I know I shouldn't stress about this, but I've had a couple splits almost go missing the last couple years.) Oddly, my time is the exact same time as last year, right down to the hundredth of a second.

Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Backstroke
    ================================================== =============================
    WORLD: W 30.31 3/1/2009 K.PIPES-NEILSEN, FRA
    NATL: N 30.58 12/2/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
    Zone Champs: Z 32.51 2008 Laurie DiTommaso
    VA LMSC: V 38.74 3/15/2008 Debbie Jaeger
    Name Age Team Finals
    ================================================== =============================
    1 Luallen-Egg, Andrea 45 GSM-NJ 34.87
    2 Skrobis, Amy V 45 ABC-NE 37.52
    3 Delorey, Laura E 48 GWDM-NE 39.49
    4 Stokes, Karin E 49 GSP-NE 40.27
    5 Cheney, Jane E 49 GWDM-NE 46.45
    6 Zraket, Lisa 46 YNS-NE 47.38
    7 Barker, Joanne L 46 CMSC-NE 47.99

Women 45-49 50 SC Meter Backstroke
    WORLD: W 30.31 3/1/2009 K.PIPES-NEILSEN, FRA
    NATL: N 30.58 12/2/2007 K PIPES-NEILSEN
    Zone Champs: Z 32.51 2008 Laurie DiTommaso
    VA LMSC: V 38.74 3/15/2008 Debbie Jaeger
    Name Age Team Finals
    1 Livingston, Leslie 49 GMUP-PV 31.14Z

Updated December 13th, 2010 at 11:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  2. NE Champs, Day 1, Dec. 11

by , December 11th, 2010 at 09:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 1 went exceedingly well, better than I expected. I even managed to swim all 4 of my events today -- practically an ironman feat for me. . I'm now fairly flattened as a result.

100 fly, 1:10.26

So glad this was the first event of the day! My last pre-B70 time was a 1:12ish (I recall). Last year, in B70, I went a 1:09.8. I expected to go a 1:12-1:13 here, given the general 2 second time differential per 100 free SCY. Was shocked and thrilled with my 1:10.2, only .4 off my best. I tried to SDK a lot. Mollie said that, by 25s, I went 12-13 meters, 10 meters, 10 meters, 8 meters. I popped up a little early on the last length after a longish turn. Just needed some air. But otherwise my breakouts were solid and smooth. Had the usual last 10 meter piano, but at least didn't go vertical. This is my hardest event, and I don't really train for it in any conventional way, so I was pleased. Kicking saves me in this event. I think this time puts me 3rd in the overall rankings behind two new 45 year olds, if I recall the SPMA results correctly.

50 back, 31.14 (split on 200 back)
    (final 200 time, a blazing 3:20 )

If I wasn't typing on my iPhone I'd put in a bliss smiley here. Edit: My previous time from the Albatross meet was a 32.5, but I was hoping to go a bit faster based on the 28.1 I swam at the Sprint Classic on Oct. 24 after the bronchitis taper. Honestly, my secret goal, was to swim faster than 31.6, but anything can go wrong in a 50 and, as I previously said, I would have been pleased with anything under 32.

I executed reasonably well, but not perfectly. My hands were crossed (first time ever) on the start, which was slightly disconcerting. 14 SDKs on the start and 15 on the turn. There was a stroke & turn judge right at the 15 meter mark, so didn't take any chances on that front on the start. I was a bit too far from the wall on the turn and glided into the finish -- probably due to the 5 meter flags. No matter, I was very thrilled to stop, gasp for air, squint at the scoreboard and see the 31.14. Stud also had my split writ large on a piece of paper as I headed to the warm down pool -- very sweet. I had informed the referee (who stood over my finish) and both the women swimming next to me that I was doing a split, so that they were well aware and didn't have any angst. I did legally finish the race in a stellar time of 3:20, causing only a very minor delay of the meet. Did the second 50 double arm backstroke.

This is the same time I swam last year at this meet in a Jaked or B70 and should put me in the AA spot, unless there are other times I'm unaware of. This would be my first AA in the 50 back in SCM. I've ended up second on several occasions. So I'm ditching this age group on a high note!

I could happily have stopped swimming for the day at this juncture. I was happy and tired. (Veni, vici, vidi, in a manner of speaking.) But the day was long and I had plenty of rest so carried on.

50 breast, 38.9

Pretty happy with this time, especially since I was trying to be very conservative on the pre-kick and pulldown. Over a second slower than last year, but, like Allen Stark, I think swimming evil in a Jaked is like a different stroke entirely. This is still my second fastest time in SCM (out of only 3-4 swims, I think) and a much better effort than the 41.8 I turned in in LCM. Currently, this puts me in the number 3 spot. (Which rather confirms my thought that the speed suits make the mosy difference in evil.

SwimStud had an amazing 50 breast today, dropping two full seconds+ from last year! I wish I had video'd this, as he had awesome forward momentum, but it was right after my swim and I was gasping. I got his 100 breast the next day though.

50 free, 28.77

I was going to scratch this event. I really was. I haven't swum 4 events at a taper meet in eons. But decided it might be easier to do at the end of the day today than late tomorrow afternoon as a split in the 100 free. Happy with the time. It's .5 faster than I went at the Albatross meet, but still .5 off my B70 PB (which I did as the very first swim at BU last year). I had a quite sub par turn -- it was dark outside (5:00 pm or so) and that made it harder to pick up the wall without the light streaming through the windows. Still, I'll take it flaws and all!

Overall, I was extremely happy with the day. I'm worried I'll be bushed tomorrow. But hopefully a decent night's sleep will help. Tomorrow, I have the 100 back, 50 fly and 50 back. I'm scratching the 100 free. Depending on how I feel, I might not swim the 50 back again, as it would be my 7th event. I'm very very glad I put in a split request to get a time before the end of the meet! I hate it when 50 back is the last event when my legs are dead.

Updated December 13th, 2010 at 03:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  3. Last Minute Meet, Sat., Dec. 4

by , December 4th, 2010 at 02:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Last Minute SCM Meet:

It's an odd feeling waking up late (8:15) and cruising into a meet mid way. I missed seeing some fast early swims, including Speedo's blazing 200 back (2:17). But I'm glad I got some start practice in before next weekend.

50 fly split on the 100, 30.7 (?)

Not sure about the official split. I'll have to wait for the results as the timing board was not in operation. Neill Williams very kindly timed my swim and gave me the following comments with which Speedo concurred: too shallow on start, poor breakout b/c of kicking on surface, great turn, good SDKs off turn (took 10, I think), bad finish, glided in big time, good speed, good stroke. I agree with all these points. I took 2 breaths on the second length, the second one really to sight the wall. I knew I was either going to have to glide or short stroke it. In my head, I wasn't too disturbed by this, as I considered this a practice swim. Hopefully, I can fix this at Boston. And I'm sticking with 2 breaths there as well.

Since I didn't really feel any of that elusive "easy speed" in practice or warm up, I was pleased with this approximate time. And, well, I hadn't even shaved. hahaha. I went a 31.5 at the Albatross meet in March so this time is better and can be knocked down a bit more (I hope) with another week's rest.

Swimming the second 50 was a bit of a chore. But I coffee breaked on the walls and Muppet waved to me at the 75.

Edit: My official split was 31.1, not surprising since hand timing is generally faster. I knew I took a major glide at the end (and was even wondering if I should bother to finish the 100), but I'm still glad I did and it was still faster than my previous time. I sometimes find it disconcerting to do split requests because thoughts of what to do after the finish always creep into my head.

25 free in the 200

I felt like I had a much better start -- the correct depth and 4-5 SDKs before I started churning. Did a fast turn, hit the wall well, and then just cruised the rest of the 50 and hopped out. (I had told the referee in advance to DQ me.)

Commentary:

I'm still kinda tired from that little bit of sprinting, and I'm glad I didn't swim any other events.

There was much fast swimming at the meet by all the usual PV suspects. I think Speedo PR'd all his events. I videotaped his 200 free. I'm not sure about the quality because I had just swum and wasn't holding the camera very still. The Little Devil chimed in on audio that Speedo got chicked on the last 50. By a very fast chick!

Link to Results: http://www.pvmasters.org/results/pv1210.htm.

I'm wondering if the SPMA meet has live results like last year?

Results are out for the NW Zones meet too: https://www.clubassistant.com/c/EBB7...%20results.pdf. Very fast times from Ellen Reynolds.

Interview with Dara: http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...an-Dara-Torres

NE Champs:

psych sheets:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Psych.pdf

timeline:
    http://www.greatbaymasters.org/10Session.pdf -- my kind of meet: first event not until after 11:00 am and plenty of rest.

Updated December 4th, 2010 at 09:07 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  4. Dead Cat Bounce, Oct. 24

by , October 24th, 2010 at 04:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    GMU Sprint Classic:

Journeyed to my home pool for the annual Sprint Classic hosted by GMU. I wasn't sure what to expect from this meet, but I am thrilled and relieved at how it went given recent circumstances. The lovely Eney Jones predicted a "dead cat bounce," [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_bounce[/ame], and that's pretty much what happened. I just hope I can avoid further ensuing decline.

50 back, 28.1

I was absolutely shocked to see this time. But it was one of the rare instances where I executed almost perfectly -- start/turn/finish/SDKs were all very solid. My turn was especially sharp and (unlike LCM Zones) my turnover felt fast and smooth (though I was underwater for 14-15 meters each length). I have changed my backstroke start slightly, apparently to good effect. Instead of pulling up and in, I'm just pulling up and keeping my head straight. I think I get into the water slightly faster this way and am slightly shallower.

This time is faster than I swam at the Sprint Classic last year in a B70 (28.55) and faster than I swam tapered in Atlanta in a Jaked (28.3) Of course, I did forget my nose clip in Atlanta -- not today!

Honestly, I think this is my best swim of the entire year.

3 out of the last 4 of my fastest 50 backstrokes have been in this pool. Coincidence?

50 fly, 27.8:

This race was not as well executed, but I'm still very pleased with the time. My breakout was subpar, possibly because I hadn't pre-determined how many SDKs to take. But Coach Cheryl said my turn was excellent and that I pulled ahead with my SDKs. I tightened up the final few strokes and had an unfortunate long glide to the finish. Still, this time is only .2 slower than I swam last year in my B70. I only took a breath at the turn and one breath on the second length.

50 free, NS

Didn't swim this event. I was tired and shaky after the 50 fly and couldn't get my heart rate down fast enough. (There weren't that many heats between the 50 fly and 50 free.) I think scratching was a smart move.

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters:

Most fun part of the meet. Everyone swims 4 x 25. Winner is determined by place. This year, points were given for 5 places, 5-4-3-2-1.

25 back, 13.3

Nailed my backstroke start. Speedo said I had a nice underwater. This time is .4 seconds faster than last year in my B70. .4 seems like a awfully lot in a 25. I seem to recall my start wasn't very good last year. Finished 1st.

25 breast, ?

I honestly can't remember my exact time. I think it was a 16.5 (?), which is way way slower than last year's 15.69. I've always said that the speed suits made the most difference for me on breaststroke. This is further confirmation. I also went a bit too deep on the start and had a slight float up. I seem to do this frequently in the evilstroke. Finished 6th.

25 fly, 12.6:

Everything went perfectly and, unlike my 50, I nailed my finish. I just out touched a real speedster, and it was only because I beat her off the blocks. This is the same time I went last year in my B70. Finished 1st.

25 free, 12.2:

Ugh, the starter held us forever. I got off the blocks slowly and was kinda bummed. Was .2 slower than last year. Finished 4th.

In the end, I defended my title as the Fastest Woman in the Water, but it was very close. Lots of fast chicks in the pool this year. I got a nice USMS shirt as schwag. And congratulations to The Little Devil Roddin, who had blazing fast 25s and captured the Fastest Man in the Water award.

Congrats to Speedo "no SDKs for me," for winning the 50 free in a close race!

As always, so great to see all PV folks, including the Roddin baby bump.

Commentary:

I had no expectations whatever for this meet. So I'm happy to come away with a pair of good times in my best events. I guess I did enough speed work in the last couple weeks to keep the fast twitch muscles sharp. Now to start re-training and get back in shape for 100s as well.

Already feeling a bit sore ...

Updated October 24th, 2010 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  5. LCM Zones, Aug. 21-22

by , August 22nd, 2010 at 03:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Quick Summary:

Had a fantastic time hanging out with my swim friends! Way to go Muppet for a well run meet! Had two good swims and two personal worsts. It pretty much went as expected -- I had no easy speed and felt choppy and ploddish. That's what comes of taking 6 weeks off since SCY Nats and not doing much speed work. Each day, I was grateful that I had only signed up for the 4 50s and not been foolishly ambitious. All my 50s (except breast where I slipped on the start) were about the same: great start, great 25, fading painfully and miserably last the 10-15 meters or so. My expectations were firmly in check, so it was all good. I didn't expect to be near my Indy times, which were the product of great training, great atmospherics and (to some degree) tech suits.

Meet Analysis:

Saturday:

50 fly, 31.22

I had a great reaction, exploded off the blocks, and had a nice clean entry. Came up 1/2 body length ahead on the field. After struggling with starts for the last year, I decided to take Stud's start advice, which just involves a neutral position on the blocks and reaching for the water. I popped up earlier than usual, but that could have been because of the lack of tech suits. I hadn't done a start since Nationals (didn't even bother with one in warm up), so was pleasantly surprised. My stroke felt very bouncy. But I have done zero fast fly since July. My kick was strong, but I just couldn't smooth things out. Faded the last 10 meters though Jimsely said I looked "energetic." The pool was darker and less clean than usual and I had trouble picking up the wall at the end. Still, my previous non-"rubber" Pro time was 31.6. My previous non-Nats B70 time was 30.7. So I didn't feel like this was too bad really. The times ahead of me in the event rankings are one tech suit time and two times from new 45 year old Olympians in my age group.

50 free, 30.0

This is my personal worst as a masters. I had another great start, but completely tied up with 15 meters to go, lost my kick and felt choppy. I had hoped to just break 30, and was bummed not to. But I don't feel I can expect much more right now. For some reason, when I'm not in good condition, my free really suffers. It's just not my natural stroke. Still, the time shouldn't have been that close to my fly time.

Sunday:

The day started off rather rough. I only got 4 hours sleep Saturday night after a bout of insominia. I had planned to get up at 7:15, but got up at 6:00 am instead after sleep proved impossible. I wasn't nervous at all for this meet, so I think my lack of sleep may have been from over caffeination. I had a tummy ache today too, which was either caused excess GU/gatorade or the untimely arrival of AF or both. I was out of Smart Water and drank Gatorade and Vitamin Water instead, but both taste so sweet and seemed to disagree with me.

50 breast, 41.8

Another personal worst. The starter held us forever and I wasn't comfortable on the start. I slipped. (Jimsley could not resist immediately pointing this out after my race.) This is the same thing that happened to me in the 50 evil 2 years ago at this meet in the same lane. After that, I swam somewhat half heartedly and couldn't get my turnover going. I think I was inadequately warmed up possibly, or just a bit out of it. Swimming breaststroke in a kneeskin, moreover, felt like a different stroke. After making strides last year in this stroke, I'm not terribly encouraged to carry on.

50 back, 33.4:

I had another great start and came up even with Fall W. Swam well and smoothly for about 35 meters and then lost it again and chopped to the finish in survival mode. Still, given how I felt, I was happy with the time. Aside from Indy, I've swum a 33.4 twice before at Zones, once with a B70 and a slip on the start and once with a Pro. My only secret goal for this meet was to be faster in this event than the winning time at Nats, which I did. With the kind of conditioning I had last summer, I'm sure I could break 33 again even with a kneeskin.

Commentary:

Even though I wasn't in great shape and my swims were somewhat sketchy, I'm glad I did the meet. It was great fun. And, having now experienced the effects of lack of race pace training and drylands, I'm anxious to get back to training. My team doesn't start training again until Sept. 2, so I'm on my own until then. I feel like my best training in this summer was the 3 weeks after my Baltic trip where I swam 2x a week with my team. I'm not sure my solo routine works as well in LCM. Even for 50s, a huge amount of conditioning is required to swim fast.

My shoulders feel all mashed up just from the 50s. I think a recovery swim is in order tomorrow. I cannot even complain b/c Mr. Fort did the Reston Century Ride today.

My house guests swam extremely well! Jimby swims just as fast without a B70 (despite all that fretting) and Stud posted several personal bests.

Attached is a pic from SwimShark who came to the meet to cheer us on after her foot surgery. (From left to right: SwimShark, Stud, Michelina, Geoff (former teammate from Indy), me and Little Devi Roddin).

I have no idea why my computer keeps double posting my blog entries. Sorry!

Updated August 22nd, 2010 at 09:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40227_432388178048_600738048_4777675_2752844_n.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	6470  
  6. LCM Zones, Aug. 21-22

by , August 22nd, 2010 at 03:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Quick Summary:

Had a fantastic time hanging out with my swim friends! Had two good swims and two personal worsts. It pretty much went as expected -- I had no easy speed and felt choppy and ploddish. That's what comes of taking 6 weeks off since SCY Nats and not doing much speed work. Each day, I was grateful that I had only signed up for the 4 50s and not been foolishly ambitious. All my 50s (except breast where I slipped on the start) were about the same: great start, great 25, fading painfully and miserably last 15 meters. My expectations were very much in check, so it was all good. I didn't expect to be near my Indy times, which were the product of great training, great atmospherics and (to some degree) tech suits. And I'll happily take my 50 fly/back times.

Meet Analysis:

Saturday:

50 fly, 31.22

I had a great reaction, exploded off the blocks, and had a nice clean entry. Came up 1/2 body length ahead on the field. After struggling with starts for the last year, I decided to take Stud's start advice, which just involves a neutral position on the blocks and reaching for the water. I popped up earlier than usual, but that could have been because of the lack of tech suits. I hadn't done a start since Nationals (didn't even bother with one in warm up), so was pleasantly surprised. My stroke felt very bouncy. But I have done zero fast fly since July. My kick was strong, but I just couldn't smooth things out. Faded the last 10 meters though Jimsely said I looked "energetic." The pool was darker and less clean than usual and I had trouble picking up the wall at the end. Still, my previous non-"rubber" Pro time was 31.6. My previous non-Nats B70 time was 30.7. So I didn't feel like this was too bad really. The times ahead of me in the event rankings are one tech suit time and two times from new 45 year old Olympians in my age group.

50 free, 30.0

This is my personal worst as a masters. I had another great start, but completely tied up with 15 meters to go, lost my kick and felt choppy. I had hopped to break 30, and was bummed not to. But I don't feel I can expect much more right now. For some reason, when I'm not in good condition, my free really suffers. It's just not my natural stroke. Still, the time shouldn't have been that close to my fly time.

Sunday:

The day started off rather rough. I only got 4 hours sleep Saturday night after a bout of insominia. I had planned to get up at 7:15, but got up at 6:00 am instead after sleep proved impossible. I wasn't nervous at all for this meet, so I think my lack of sleep may have been from over caffeination. I had a tummy ache today too, which was either caused GU or the untimely arrival of AF or both.

50 breast, 41.8

Another personal worst. The starter held us forever and I wasn't comfortable on the start. I slipped. This is the same thing that happened to me in the 50 evil 2 years ago at this meet in the same lane. After that, I swam somewhat half heartedly and couldn't get my turnover going. I think I was inadequately warmed up possibly, or just a bit out of it. Swimming breaststroke in a kneeskin, moreover, felt like a different stroke. After making strides last year in this stroke, I'm not terribly encouraged to carry on.

50 back, 33.4:

I had another great start and came up even with Fall W. Swam well and smoothly for about 35 meters and then lost it again and chopped to the finish in survival mode. Still, given how I felt, I was happy with the time. Aside from Indy, I've swum a 33.4 twice before at Zones, once with a B70 and a slip on the start and once with a full body zipper Pro. My only secret goal for this meet was to be faster in this event than the winning time at Nats, which I did. With the kind of conditioning I had last summer, I'm sure I could break 33 again even with a kneeskin.

Commentary:

Even though I wasn't in great shape and my swims were somewhat sketchy, I'm glad I did the meet. It was great fun. And, having now experienced the effects of lack of race pace training and drylands, I'm anxious to get back to training. My team doesn't start training again until Sept. 2, so I'm on my own until then. I feel like my best training in this summer was the 3 weeks after my Baltic trip where I swam 2x a week with my team. I'm not sure my solo routine works as well in LCM. Even for 50s, a huge amount of conditioning is required to swim fast.

My shoulders feel all mashed up just from the 50s. I think a recovery swim is in order tomorrow.

My house guests swam extremely well! Jimby swims just as fast without a B70 (despite all that fretting) and Stud posted personal bests.

Attached is a pic from SwimShark who came to the meet to cheer us on after her foot surgery.

Updated August 22nd, 2010 at 08:20 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  7. 100 back Vid + Mon-Tues, May 24-25

by , May 25th, 2010 at 01:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Monday Workout:

Big cuddle and chat with Lil Fort after getting home in time to pick her up from school.

2 hour nap.

1.5+ hours watching Lost series finale on the DVR with Mini Fort.

Watched Mr. Fort cook dinner.

Tuesday Workout:

Got up early to get Lil Fort off to school and went back to bed.

Got up too late to go to hot yoga.

Spent 2.0 hours contemplating whether to run. But decided against it as I'm still feeling like I was hit by a mac truck.

100 back Video:

Here's a video of my 100 back from Nats taken by Stud. I was pleased with my underwaters. Not so thrilled with the second turn (where you can see I missed the wall) or my last 5 yards where my arms wouldn't move. But still super thrilled with the time.

I can't tell from the angle of the video, but I might have overshot the 15 meter mark on the first 25. I think you have to be on the side of the pool to really tell.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFZ4FmwjNw"]YouTube- Les 100 BK[/nomedia]

I've also attached a cool pic of 2 backstroke mermaids. Ahelee gave me plenty of encouragement during the meet while coaching her other swimmers. In fact, I have to thank all my team hottub buddies and others for their words of encouragement throughout the meet. I love my swimmer friends!

Few other pics too, and 2 taken by my friend Norm at the start and turn of the 50 fly.

Updated May 25th, 2010 at 05:06 PM by The Fortress

Categories

Name:	31654_1440219640476_1082585167_31308858_8175138_n.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	6394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	6395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-attachment.aspx.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	6396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swim Stud, The Fortress, Jayhawk.JPG.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	6397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31654_1440830135738_1082585167_31310178_3249853_n.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	6398  

8. Day 3 and Nats Recap

by , May 24th, 2010 at 02:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 3:

As planned, I scratched the 100 IM. I've never scratched an event at Nationals before, but with 6 events behind me and some emotional ups and downs, I felt wiped out. I had reserves for one race, but not 2. I was actually ranked higher in the 100 IM than the 100 back, but I felt like I had some unfinished business with my nose clip. A friend suggested getting a 50 split to make up for the semi-fiasco on Saturday, but I just wanted to swim my 100 back. I had done a 1:04 previously this year at the Fall Ball in my B70, but that time didn't count for TT because, I believe, the pool wasn't measured (not entirely sure on that).

In any event, I arrived at the pool late and carried my nose clip around all day. I planned to swim the 100 back just like I did at NE Champs, and that's exactly what I did: lots of kicking. I got a good start. Someone told me my reaction time was .6+. No problem with slippage on the wall and I didn't stagger my feet.

The race went as planned: the full 15 meters on the first 25 and at least halfway on the next 3 25s. I was out fast in 29.3 and felt like I had great easy speed. The last 10 yards, however, I was totally gassed and died. I wish I had seen Sue Walsh and Val Jenkins on the other side of the pool because they passed me right then, Sue out-touching me by .1. Perhaps if I had seen them, I could have summoned something extra. But I didn't feel like I left anything in the pool. I finished in 1:01.9, my best time by a second.

The only glitch in the race was that I missed the wall at the 50 -- was too far away. I compensated by taking a huge dolphin kick from the hips and that allowed me to get back into a good streamline and then return to high cycle kicks. But it probably cost me a few tenths.

I was very happy to end Nats on a good note and of course to win my cyber gridge with the Geekity one.

Recap:

Events:

50 fly: 27.0, 3rd
    100 fly: 1:01.3, 2nd
    50 back, 28.2, 3rd
    100 back, 1:01.9, 4th
    50 breast, 32.8, woulda been 4th without the DQ

I felt like I hit my taper well and had great raw speed. Unfortunately, my 50s were marred: fly (horrible start), back (forgot nose clip), and breast (double whammy -- missed heat & DQ). On the upside, the fly was really the only technical miscue. My other starts, walls, and breakouts were pretty good. I was just an incredible dumb ass on the 50 back and feel like I got robbed on the other (though I realize reasonable minds can differ).

If I could have one race back, it would be the 50 back. Allen Stark watched my race and gave me some good feedback. He said I rocked the underwaters, but lacked the arm speed I showed at Indy. He said I was the shortest one there and needed the most turnover to compensate, but was way too slow. And he was right. I was unglued at the start and was not thinking during the race. I was also worried that I had gone past the 15 on the start. I forgot about tempo and was just finishing the race.

Everyone seems to think I train mostly for 50s, and I do like my 50s, but I think my 100s were very solid and I was most pleased with them. Very pleased actually. I think my "best" event was actually my 50 breast b/c dropping a second in a month from a previous PB is huge. As I mentioned in my own blog comments from yesterday, I think it is unfortunate more masters haven't worked on developing long pullouts. I think this prejudices me b/c officials (and swimmers) think it can't be done.

Kinda bummed I didn't get a 100 IM time this season. But I still think I did the right thing by scratching it.

Stud video'd my 50 and 100 back (I believe), so I hope to see those later. He taped a lot of races between absolutely tearing up the pool himself, which was very nice.

Meet Details:

-- Hotel was great.
    -- Trolley was great and so convenient.
    -- Air quality at the pool seemed fine.
    -- The pool was pretty fast, but I wasn't as impressed as Geek, and think Auburn is faster.
    -- I had no trouble myself on the dreaded flat slippery walls, but know that others did.
    -- I was really happy not to be a freestyler at this meet with all the troubles so many people had on the bulkheads.
    -- The meet was well run.
    -- The starts were abysmal, as others have remarked: commands were inconsistent and hard to heard, the beep was very quiet and they couldn't increase the volume, many heats were held too long. I only had the one issue on breaststroke, but I was fairly paranoid after that and tried to listen intently.
    -- The officiating seemed a little inconsistent. Aside from my own issue, I heard a couple other instances where DQ slips weren't properly written, someone wasn't told of their DQ and only found out by looking at the results, and there wasn't always an official by the 15 meter mark. (I wish they'd dump that rule myself.)

I've mulled over what should be done when someone just can't hear the starting commands. It seems like the officials go out of their way to give the swimmer another chance to swim. But this can backfire too, as one friend I know did a re-swim only to have that swim thrown out on a different technicality after it was OK'd by the deck ref. Perhaps, despite the bitterness of it, you should just be DQ'd and move on with the meet ...

I still had a fantastic time socializing and seeing old and new friends. And I'll probably be happier with my 50 times later in the week. For the moment, I'm looking forward to a change in training this summer and a short break from all the intensive sprint training. I plan to take my creaky fatigued body to yoga every day this week and, when my energy level improves, hit the pavement for a train wreck run ala Geek. (I'm dead right now from late night celebrating and an early wake up call to get to the airport.) No swimming this week! I think the re-focusing and cross training this summer will help me feel fresh in the fall. I will probably only do one meet here at the end of August.

Sorry the suits are gone. They were bloody fun! But I can still dolphin kick without them. And I'm looking forward to trying Roque's new Q Swimwear kneeskin!

And, whilst I was sprinting and socializing in Atlanta, Fort Son's lightweight 8 had a great State Champs and qualified for Nationals this weekend. And my wee little one was selected for the soccer All Star team. Proud mommy!

Updated May 24th, 2010 at 02:38 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  9. Back to Killer Mode, April 27

by , April 27th, 2010 at 08:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 15
    goblet squats, 65 x 2 x 15
    standing lat pulldown, 140 x 2 x 12
    box jumps, 1 x 10
    altitude drops, 1 x 15
    straight arm plank with feet on yoga ball, 2 x 1:00
    wall squats, 2 x 1:00 (too easy, need to do this much longer)
    lateral bunny hops over bench (ouch!), 1 x 1:00
    pole vaulters w/45 lb bar, 45 x 2 x 25
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    twisting med ball slams, 1 x 15
    dead bugs on bosu, 2 x 25
    good morning darlings on bosu, 2 x 50
    (need to add ankle weights to these)
    russian twists w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25

15 minutes of various RC exercises, including the ones Mollie showed me at the meet.

Ate an energy bar and banana and drove to the pool ...

Swim/SCY/Solo:

I ripped off & remixed Geek's workout from today. I love the blogs for this reason -- you can steal a workout outright or use the structure and adapt it to your own training needs. This is so very valuable when you're training solo.

Warm up:

600 various

Aerobic Set:

3 rounds (fly w/fins, back, breast)

2 x 100 kick
    2 x 100 drill
    2 x 100 pull (except didn't pull fly; did single arm fly again)

I used about a :20 RI

Speed Set:

With fins, 2 rounds of:

1 x 100 fast kick
    1 x 100 EZ
    1 x 100, done as 50 fast kick + 50 EZ
    1 x 100 pull
    4 x fast 25s @ :45
    1 x 50 EZ

1st round = flutter w/board. Went :58, :25 and 11s on the fast stuff.
    2nd round = backstroke kick. Went :56, :25 and not sure of times on the 25s.

The 100s really hurt. I didn't pay attention to intervals on these and took plenty of rest.

100 EZ

Total: 3650

Got out right at 4:00 as the FISH were starting their practice. Kate Zeigler said hi and hopped in my lane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I slept in a bit more this am after getting my youngest off to school and felt relatively good at both workouts. I seem to have recovered much more quickly from Zones this year than last year. Last year, I was blasted for days. I think the fewer events and post-meet massage helped.

Video:

Here is the youtube link to the GMUP 200 free relay at Zones. I led off and was wearing my Speedo kneeskin. I wore it to get a comparison to my other bodysuit 50 free swims. It was closer than I expected. Jim Thornton narrates. For some reason, he was worried I wouldn't "attack" the race (perhaps because of the reverse placebo effect?). But I would never let relay mates down! The women next to me is a speedy Red Tide swimmer. It looks like she got me coming off the turn when I was too deep. But I was happy with my reaction time on the start. It seemed faster than my open 50 free the next day that was also video'd.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8DJRKY5jK8"]YouTube- 200 free relay Zones 2010[/nomedia].

Question:

Does anyone remember if leadoff splits from free relays at Nats are automatically put into the database? Or do we have to submit a split request? I know this was discussed recently on the forums, but can't remember what was said. I think it's automatic? I have one more shot at the 50 free at Nats. And I need it because there were some crazy fast ladies in my age group at IL States, including a super speedy new 45 year old.

Relays:

I got notification today that two of my chick relays are officially AA. And with 2 different teams! One was my Women's 400 medley relay with GMUP. The other was my ABM Women's 200 free relay from Indy. It was an honor to swim with such fast chicks!

Interesting blurbs:

Customizing Workouts:

Strict plans may slow your progress, according to a study in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.

A group of people in a weight-training class were given identical workout lists; half could choose their workouts, while the others were told which to do. After 12 weeks, the group that could choose had greater strength gains compared with the guided group.

The author says the reason is that they could opt for easier moves when they were tired, saving tougher sessions for when they felt ready. Listen when your body tells you it is due for a slower pace workout. You’ll recover better and get more from your workouts.

Vitamin D:

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/n...src=RSS_PUBLIC

Another Dryland Study Abstract:

ABSTRACT
    Zampagni, ML, Casino, D, Benelli, P, Visani, A, Marcacci, M, and De Vito, G.

"Anthropometric and strength variables to predict freestyle performance times in elite master swimmers. J Strength Cond Res 22: 1298–1307, 2008—The aims of this study were to determine in elite master swimmers of both genders whether, using anthropometric variables and the hand grip strength measure, it was possible to predict freestyle performance time, whether the considered predictors were related similarly to different events (50, 100, 200, 400, 800 m), and whether they were the same in male and female master swimmers. The relationships between performance times and age, body mass, height, arm length, forearm length, forearm muscle volume, and hand grip strength were examined in 135 elite master swimmers. Pearson’s simple correlation coefficients were calculated and then prediction equations were developed. Age, height, and hand grip strength were the best predictors in short-distance events, whereas only age and height were predictors in middle- and long-distance events. The correspond- ing coefficient of determination (R2) of performance times were 0.84 in the 50-m event, 0.73 in the 100-m event, 0.75 in the 200-m event, 0.66 in the 400-m event, and 0.63 in the 800-m event. These regression equations were then cross-validated in a control group of 126 nonelite, age-matched swimmers, obtaining significant and good correlations for all distances (range, r = 0.67 and 0.83; p , 0.01), indicating that predictors are valid in an extended sample of master swimmers. Differences between sexes were not found in 50-m event, but were present in all other events. These models might be useful to determine individual performance times by contributing to improving the individual’s training program and the selection of master swimmers. Coaches could have better accuracy in determining whether an athlete needs a strength training program in order to optimize performance time."

Updated April 27th, 2010 at 10:19 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  10. Day 2, CZ

by , April 26th, 2010 at 12:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Had a wonderful time watching The Hangover with my wolf pack and got a decent night's sleep. But, unfortunately, I woke up with major GI issues that lasted throughout the meet. I'm not sure what triggered it. I didn't do or eat anything really differently. And I had confirmed that the barbecue sauce at our RH&B post-Sat meal was gluten free. I can only think it was the extra magnesium I took in an effort to ward off calf cramps. This has never happened to me to this degree at a meet, and it was a real drag.

100 IM

missed it due to GI issues

100 breast, 1:15, DQ

The time was slower than I had secretly hoped, but I think I was dehydrated. I also went way too deep on every pullout and had to float and jerk my head up to get to the surface. This led to a huge dead spot every length. Clearly, I need more practice off the blocks in a tech suit.

I would have won this event, but, to my chagrin, I was DQ'd. If there had been some reasonable explanation, as in when Chris was DQ'd in his 400 IM, I would have shrugged it off. But this was such a bogus DQ, I was ticked off. The S&T judge, who was also doubling as deck ref, said I took "two complete breaststroke stroke cycles underwater" and wrote "pull, kick, pull, kick." He was dead wrong. I'm not an 8&U and I know better than this. I don't even do that drill in practice. After a few moments of fuming, I went to talk to him. I told him what I do every length --- scull hands slightly out to be sure the judge can see this, dolphin kick, pull down, and kick up. I thought perhaps he had confused this for two stroke cycles since I had unusually long pullouts past the 15 meter mark. No, he insisted I took 2 breaststroke kicks. No way.

Because I was certain he was wrong, I decided to protest. Unfortunately, since he was also the deck ref, there was no ref on my pool (who would have seen the swim) to protest to. I raised my protest to the meet ref on the men's pool. He wouldn't reverse the call b/c he hadn't seen it and it was a judgment call. Not unexpected. Then I had a convo with Paul Wolf and we went to look at the exact wording on the DQ slip. The language was written as above, no box checked. So the DQ was not, as it should be, "written to the rule." I protested again to the deck ref, who admitted this was true and then to the meet ref. The meet ref agreed to talk to the deck ref at the end of the meet. But he refused to overturn the DQ on this technical basis. I felt better for having tried to reverse the situation though.

In reality, the 100 breast isn't big deal for me; I was just ticked off on principle.

100 back, NS:

Since I wasn't feeling well, I had decided to do a 50 back split and count SDKs. But the meet was moving so fast on the women's side of the pool (a pet peeve of mine about this meet) that I missed this event while lodging various protests and talking to my meet director-coach.

50 free, 25.6

I decided to swim this event again, since I had missed backstroke. I was quite tired and and really needed to run to the loo, but swam anyway.

This was almost exactly the same time I swam in the kneeskin at the end of the day Saturday. But it was nice to log 3 x 50 frees under 26.

Women's 200 medley relay:

We finished 2nd in our age group, which was 25+. I swam the fly leg and went 27.3 with a very safe start. I did do it as a no breather. I should have taken one more SDK on the second length as my right arm was stuck underwater a little at the breakout, probably costing me a few tenths. It wasn't that hard to do as a no breather. But it made picking up the walls more difficult.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summary:

day 1 = very good
    day 2 = frustrating

Still, I was having trouble getting excited for this meet with Nats looming, and logged some good times. My legs were still tired with only a week rest and having done hot yoga the Sunday before. I'm looking forward to a week of regular workouts this week. Today, though, I'm thinking the massage I have booked to get the lactic acid out and work over my sore shoulders sounds pretty good. Thankfully, I don't feel nearly as thrashed as last year when I swam more events and think I will be rebound more quickly.

I have resolved not to use this meet as a taper meet next year. With two pools, and the women's pool running so fast, it is not a good match for me. I'm always frustrated by the lack of sufficient rest. I am thinking about NE SCY Champs. Alternately, if travel is nixed or frowned upon by the fam, I'll just swim the 4 50 and forget my 100s. (I am kind of tickled to have the Zone records in all 4 50s.) In any event, next year I'll be more focused on meters than yards since I'll be FINA 50.

I'm feeling a little star crossed lately. I'm really hoping I can avoid cramping, goggle issues, the flu, pool closures, lost contacts and GI issues at Nats. But I guess if it happens, I'll be well used to it.

On a different note, my son's lightweight 8 won their race on the Potomac this weekend. But on the way back, on of the fasteners for the boat broke, it rolled out onto the road and was driven over by 3 cars and ruined. It's covered by insurance, but it takes awhile to get a new boat. I think they're hoping to borrow one, but that could put a crimp in their season. Really bizarre freak accident.

Updated April 26th, 2010 at 02:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  11. CZ, Day 1

by , April 24th, 2010 at 07:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 1 of Colonies Zones:

Everyone staying at the compound did very well! Good compound mojo.

50 free, split from 100 free, 25.3

I was very pleased with this time. It's my second best time ever and best time not fully tapered. It was especially good since I had goggle problems again. I was trying the TYR Tracer clear goggles, but I couldn't seem to get them to seal well on my left eye. They leaked and wiped out my left contact. Never had that happen before ... To my horror, I did not have a spare in my bag. So I became a cyclops swimmer.

I had a very good start and a decent turn. I didn't feel fully warmed up though and tightened up toward the end. Still, very happy with the time! And it is better than my Zone record of 25.5 set a couple years ago. And much faster than I swam in Richmond in February.

50 breast, 33.72

I went too deep on the start and had to float to the top on my breakout, jerking my head up. But I did NOT flutter kick to the surface! My left goggle leaked again, but since I was a swimming cyclops, it mattered not. I tossed the goggles and borrowed a pair of speed sockets from a friend. These are the perfect fit for my head, and I understand I can order the in clear. Swimoutlet, here I come.

As to the time, this is a PB for me, and breaks my Zone record of last year of 34.1. So I was very pleased again. With a better start, I think I can improve further. Chicken of the Sea video'd this for me. Stud won our grudge by busting out a 33.27. (And, take note, Geek, he also went a 1:00.1 in a brief in the 100 free, getting very close to that barrier you said he'd have trouble reaching ...)

100 fly, 1:02.7 (29/33)

I didn't scratch and no goggle issues!!! I wasn't looking forward to the race though, but was determined to swim it just for some pre-Nats practice. I didn't feel great. There was some uncertainty on my part as to how many dolphin kicks to take per 25. I hadn't resolved this pre-race. Rob B. told me I was dropping my hips some and bending my knees to much. But my breakouts were fine. The piano, as expected hit big time on the last 10 yards. Still, I was very happy with the time again. It's my 2nd best time ever, and my fastest without a full taper. It broke the Zone record of too.

200 Free Relay, leadoff 25.7

My relay mates wanted to scratch the 400 medley relay, and I can't say I minded at all. I was quite tired after the 100 fly. So we geared up for the 200 free relay instead. I lead off (why do I always have to lead off? lol) Before the relay, I changed into a FINA legal Speedo kneeskin to compare 50 free times. I was tired for this 50, but perhaps not sufficiently warmed up for the first one, so I felt like these factors canceled each other out. I had a good start and went a little deep on the turn. Still, I had expected to go a mid 26 with the kneeskin and feeling so tired. I was quite surprised to see the 50s were only .4 apart.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, but not sure I'll be able to (or want) to swim 3 100s + a relay.

Now, off to watch The Hangover with the compound guests.
  12. Mixed SCM Meet, March 20

by , March 21st, 2010 at 11:25 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I had a great night's sleep and felt the best I have in a long time in the morning. Felt good in warm up and won the battle of the new non tech suit (almost gave up, but prevailed after 25 minutes or so). It was fairly comical -- there were signs posted everywhere saying "Remember, No Tech Suits!"

Unfortunately, I had probably my worst pool experience breathing wise ever. After warm up, I was hacking up a storm and wheezing the whole meet. I moved outside mid way through the meet, and this seemed to help some. I was SO glad I was only doing 50s in light of this. I think because of this, though, I was not really tuned in mentally and had some execution issues.

50 back, 32.5

I was pretty happy with this time. It was a solid swim. I was fussing with my cap at the beginning of the race though and spaced out on the start. The starter was holding everyone a LONG time. I had a bad reaction and got off slowly, which is uncharacteristic. I then just mindlessly started counting kicks -- as if I was doing a shooter in practice. I got to 14 and thought, holy crap, took another kick and hurried to the surface. Wolfy said I was right on the 15 meter mark and had a good breakout. Mollie said definitely one less kick. My cap was also slowly coming off the second length, which felt weird. In sum, I thought it was a pretty good time considering I had been sick the last 2 weeks and was not wearing a tech suit.

50 fly, 31.4:

My stroke felt good. Too bad noting else worked! lol. I dove in and my right goggle lens leaked. I took too many dolphin kicks, was kicking at the surface and had an awful breakout. Speedo saw it in all its glory. Because of my goggles, I couldn't pick up the wall. I think this was perhaps the worst fly turn I've ever done; I kicked in two yards instead of taking another stroke. My teammate said I easily lost .5 on the turn. Had a good second length. If I had had even a mediocre breakout and turn, I think I would have been 30+. So the time isn't too bad considering.

50 free, 29.2:

I was feeling the effects of the breathing problems at this point. Had a lackluster swim, took 3-4 breaths instead of my customary 2, and felt like I was flailing and dying at the end. Barb said I looked "tired" on the 2nd length.

200 Mixed Free Relay, 1:55:

Swam with William, Barb and Speedo. I led off and completely missed my turn. Ouch! Speedo had a great leg on this relay.

Saw a lot of great racing at the meet. The 100 IM was fun to watch. Chris needs to get a lesson on the Roddin turn from Mr. Roddin himself. Jeff just smoked everyone on that transition turn. He and Speedo had a great race in the 50 free as well. Speedo needs to realize that he's a sprinter not a distance geek despite all his short rest training!

Funny meet tidbit. I was in the same heat for 50 back and 50 fly as my friend with the forum moniker Nuthin But 50s. After much trash talk, we did the exact same time in both events. lol

Went to the Social afterward, which was much fun and gossip filled. I ate a lot of salad and fruit and looked longingly at the pasta.

The only real downer of the meet was that I got home and found my B70 had been stolen. I remember showering with Barb and struggling out of it and putting it on top of my swim bag. Big mistake in retrospect. I then went off to dry my hair etc. Then there was a huge influx of swimmers and swim moms into the locker room. I packed up thinking I was throwing my towels etc on top of my suit. Got home, no suit. I haven't had a suit stolen before. Really a bummer as I only got to wear it once and was counting on using it for the LC season. I feel like I've spent enough money on suits for awhile. Not inclined to replace it right now.

Commentary:

It was a fun meet -- as always! My only criticism is that the starter sucked. We were held a very long time on the blocks. I think I made a mistake by warming up in the diving well (which I love there) and not in the competition pool. I think I would have had better turns if I had done that.

Summary: Not bad considering, and there's not much one can do about a goggle problem. I think my ability to improve in the sprints, at this point, is severely limited by my inability to do starts at practice. I may just have to start doing 25s diving from the side of the pool. Even if I went to Mason during the week, the pool with blocks is always closed during the 12-2 lap swim. Im going to beg Wolfy for a private coaching session if he can fit it in.

I find myself wishing that, like Chris, I didn't have a meet until Nationals. After the last month, I'd like to just buckle down and train without interruption. I'm worried Zones will really interfere with this, and cause me to be wiped out the week after. So I'm unsure how to approach Zones and how many events to swim. I can't really skip the meet as my team is hosting! And it is a good opportunity to get block work/speed work. Not sure how to proceed ...

I actually don't feel too sore today. My throat and chest are a bit ravaged from all the hacking. I'm hoping to go to hot yoga later for a "detox."

Oh, and just for Geek. I have found my version of the "flaxative." Flax seeds don't phase me, but liquid magnesium does. But at least I avoided the dread calf cramps this meet.

Updated March 21st, 2010 at 03:16 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. Day Two Blow Out @ VMST, Sunday, Feb.14

by , February 14th, 2010 at 08:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Day 2, VMST Meet @ Richmond:

The day had it's ups and downs, but good fun was had by all. I made it through the day without a repeat of the cramps/spasms, but my calves were sore and a bit crampy all day. At Nats, I got a massage right after this happened and it seemed to help. I just had to swim with sore and rather leaden legs today. But I had a blast with old and new friends. Here was my schedule:

3:00 am: Wake up and don't go back to sleep. This was apparently a common issue, as every PV swimmer reported a night of bad sleep at their hotel.

6:30 am: Drag body out of bed and have bad hotel coffee. Body was in shock as it was used to getting up at 9:30 am. lol

7:40 am: Get in for warm up. Felt crappy and and I had a queasy stomach that persisted all day. Donned B70 suit, which developed a small hole in the thigh seam yesterday.

8:50 am: 1st event: 100 breast, 1:15

Frankly, for the way I was feeling and the time of day, I was very happy with this time. I tried to emphasize long pull outs. I was very tickled when Patrick's father commented on them. I had to concentrate on not DQ-ing the second 100, which wasn't easy with a certain RMST swimmer trying to make me laugh. (This was just payback for me getting him to laugh during his 400 IM.)

SwimShark video'd the race for me. I could see that my head position is still off and my kick looks fairly non-existent. My pull has improved. I noticed that I had to float to the surface a couple times after the pull out as I was too deep. This might have cost me a second or so. Still, not bad for my very first 100 breast in 3+ decades.

10:00am: 50 free, 26.2

Not so hot. I think I've gone slower than that once or twice in the last couple years. Perhaps I would have been under 26 in a different pool. Still, not a great in season effort. Meh.

10:30 am: Trying to take Jimi's advice about taking a hot shower and hitting the sore calves. Lost track of time. Came out and my heat of the 100 fly was on the blocks. I had been dreading this event anyway. It's not very fun to swim fly with sore legs. I'm definitely a huge weenie baby about pain when it comes to this event. So I did not grieve about missing it.

11:19:55 am: B70 blow out in the ass and I am forced to pull a Clydesdale and flash the crowd. And then do it again 25 seconds later. See below. This happened to me in Jan 2009 with an old B70, but in the locker room, not while stepping on the friggin block. This suit is new (6 swims), and I am hoping B70 will replace it and have my size. This was supposed to be my suit for Nats ...

11:20am: Fun Unofficial "Couples" Mixed 200 free relay

There was almost an entire heat of "couples;" each person swam two relay legs. I swam this relay as a "cheater couple" with my teammate William. Since I was there and had missed fly, I thought more speed work was called for. William and I actually won, with Jenn and John coming in second. (See victorious duo in photo below.) I led off in 26.5 going about 90-95%. So this seemed relatively better than my open 50. However, with only 25 seconds or so of rest and having to get out of the pool, the second 50 was rough, very rough. With about 10 yards to go, my body just shut down and stopped moving. Another teammate was worried I might "go vertical." This trauma further dissuades me from thoughts of the 100 free or going out super duper fast in a 100. Jennifer O'Reilly, with more talent and brains, was sensible and swam her 2 50s like a 100. I was just a sprinter dunce. Julie said she actually felt better on the second 50. I love her, but we are from different swimming planets. lol

12:30 am: A bunch of us went out to lunch and had a great time. I was sitting next to Chris' wife and it was nice to chat with her.

Commentary:

So here are my thoughts and what I have learned:

1. I have to get this cramping thing resolved. I think I likely have a calcium, magnesium, potassium, electrolite deficiency. I stopped drinking gatorade or G2 again this last week or so b/c it was giving me heartburn. I need to find a workout/recovery drink instead of just plain water. I may have to reorder Endura, which I recall is gluten and dairy free. Or maybe try Nuun; I know some triathletes swear by it. http://www.nuun.com/

2. Never go to meets with a 7:30 am warm up. Just don't do it. Stick to my meet "rules." My next two meets are at seemly times.

3. Don't go to meets when I'm out of the water so much the week before, especially early on in the week. Usually, when I do a mini taper for a meet, I'm in the water every day. Between that and cabin fever, I felt like crap.

4. Don't slam the legs within 7 days of a meet. I usually don't do drylands or weights for the entire week before a meet (aside from light core). I slammed my legs with killer workouts the Sat & Sun during the blizzard before this meet and didn't recover. Frankly, I'm not sure I had fully recovered from my deep tissue massage either. She went very deep. So I think I mistimed things a bit and didn't listen to my instincts. Though I would have missed good fun had I stayed home, and fun is key to sustaining life as a masters swimmer.

5. Less is more somtimes. It's perfectly fine to swim fewer events if that's how I'm feeling. Some meets I can only swim a couple events per day, some I can swim more (especially if it's a long meet, which is definitely my preference). Doing essentially 4 races today in a quick meet was plenty. I just don't recover like Aquaman, and it ain't in my head like Muppet asserts. Clay Britt always says that if you have 1-2 good swims a meet, that's something. So I'm thinking my 100 evil is the "something."

6. A couple pics from the meet attached below. One is of Chris during his 400 IM. He is getting "higher" in the pull phase. Another is Chris and Jeff at the start of the 100 fly. The best race of the day was Jeff Roddin, posing with beer below, schooling a 20 year old in a super fast 100 IM. He has a fantastically fast back to breast turn. I wish I had video'd the race.

7. Oh, I have to learn how to warm up for a 200, if I ever have the gumption to do one again. Though it's hard to tell with the cramping issue, whatever I did yesterday didn't seem right. I've felt faster in practice. I did do a pace 50 and my time was slower than usual too. Advice please!

8. And for my last rumination/rant, I cannot effen believe that our schools are still closed tomorrow ...

Updated February 15th, 2010 at 09:18 AM by The Fortress

Categories

Name:	P1020099.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	6355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020105.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	6356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020118.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	6357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020109.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	6358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020104.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	6359  

14. I sucked, Sat. Feb. 13

by , February 13th, 2010 at 10:18 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Everything was fun about today aside from my actual swim.

I'm not sure what my final time was, but I think it was 3-4 seconds slower than the last time I swam the 200 back. Couldn't see the electronic timing well, which only showed one lane at a time.

Problems:

1. Big número uno: I got double calf cramps on the start again, same as at Nats. This despite eating bananas, hydrating, using my inhaler and taking my "legs cramp" product. I'm frustrated about this. Dont really know how to avoid it. I've been stretching like crazy. Contemplating hopping out on the 3rd length, but didn't want the humiliation of a DNF. It's hard to swim a 200 back this way for me.

2. Felt like crap. Other PV swimmers who hadn't been in the water reported similar issues. Swimming 3 x a week doesn't cut it. I also realized that the pool I swam in Thursday was SCY, not SCM, so I was going slower than I thought.

3. Aside from the start, my underwaters sucked because the push offs hurt.

4. I don't know how to warm up for a 200. I've felt faster and felt like I had more endurance in practice than I did today.

5. The pool was too shallow for my taste and the water level wasn't high enough.

6. I just don't like travel meets all that much, except for Nats, which is always fun. And I tend not to sleep well away from home.

I vaguely contemplated just driving home tonight. But I decide to stay to watch friends swim, go to the social and experience gluten free beer at the Capital Ale pub. I have no expectations for tomorrow. I'm going to treat it like sprint practice. I'll be swimming very early, not my thing, anyway.

I did get to see some fast 400 IMs. Aquaman has made much progress in his breaststroke! Julie swam a very nice 500 free. And I re-met Patrick's father, as well as lots of other NOVA folks.

On an up note, my GMU teammate told me that GMU is now allowing people to pay per visit or purchase a ten visit pass. The former is outrageously expensive, the latter only mildly so. So I may go back to attending Sunday practices.

I'm going to read Runners World now and read about running shoes since I'm irked with
    swimming today. Looks like I need to try a Nike shie for forefront support.

Updated February 14th, 2010 at 06:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  15. 50 back vid from NE Champs

by , December 15th, 2009 at 12:14 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    50 back, 31.14

Stud took this 50 back vid with my mini digital. I wish I had had some other races taped, but just forgot in the excitement of the meet on day 2.

I was in lane 5, flanked by 25 and 29 year old Elizabeth Mancuso and Jessica Knight. I knew their seed times were inaccurate, as they went 31+ last year. So I knew the race would be close and it was. And they both had very good underwaters as well. I notice that they both had somewhat splashier backstroke kicks than me. Mike Ross and I briefly discussed this issue. He's working on keeping his bottom half very very still while swimming and keeping the amplitude of his flutter kick and knee bend minimal. I think I won just as much with my stroke as my SDK perhaps ...

I see from the video that I did the same breakout as the Sprint Classic where I pop my head out of the water ala Aquaman. This was a mental error. I simply forgot to lean back with my shoulders and head. I also tucked my chin too much on the start. Need to keep my head up and back a bit more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RQ7mbtjBo"]YouTube- Fort SCM 50 back[/ame]

My turnover looked slower to me than in August at Indy, but Q says this is OK.

Dara Surgery:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...l?tag=facebook

50 breast split:

Even though my 50 evil split is seemingly missing from the official MM (meet manager) results, it is still retrievable since it appeared on the scoreboard. My brilliant coach sent me the following email on how to retrieve splits from the Colorado timing system:

"But have no fear, if it showed up on the scoreboard I bet it's on the Colorado printout. The final times print out in easy to read columns but the splits don't.
    Every hit to the touchpad during the race is recorded sequentially so if you follow a line across and you know the event, heat and lane you swam in you can find the time that displayed when you touched the touchpad for the first time.

It looks like this 5) 2 25.25 3) 2 25.48 1) 2 25.50 5) 4 53.79 1) 4 54.91
    so for this heat lane 5 2nd length 50 split was a 25.25, and 100 split was a 53.79. Lane 3 50 split was a 25.48 etc.

Most meets print out the Colorado printouts during the meet and staple them to the results so it should be easy for the meet director to find. If they didn't print them out, they are still stored on the Colorado and can be printed out anytime."

I forwarded this to Ed Gendreau, the meet director. So hopefully, he will take the time to pull my split since I did submit an official request.

What's Next?

Ande always asks, "what's next?" And I'm not really sure. I'm going to revise my training for a couple months to do more aerobic /endurance work in the pool and gym and lots and lots of kicking (not that the latter is different). I'm going to use my MF more and really work on my belly SDKs. I'm much faster on my back than my belly, and would like to fix this discrepancy.

I am declining Patrick's probably tongue in cheek suggestion to remake myself into a mid distance geek. However, I may try to focus on the 100 back, 100 fly, 100 IM more this season than just pure 50s.

I'm completely up in the air about what meets to attend this year. I'd like to have a taper meet in SCY that is not Zones, since my team is hosting again this year. But I'm not sure about Atlanta. I have a yen to possibly go to Middlebury in June for the LCM meet, which would then make my summer worry free. However, attending travel meets in both May and June would not go over so well at home. For sure, I plan to swim at the Albatross meet on March 20.

As for the gym, can anyone suggest exercises to build up endurance in the lats and delts and terres muscles?

Exercise:

I may take another day off, as I'm tired and uber busy. Or, if I get all jazzed up, I may try the new P90X ab/core Plus DVD.

Fortina:

BTW, I forgot to mention that I wore Fortina for my 100 IM and 50 breast. Liked it, and will do so again! Though I suspect Fortina also contributed to me going out too fast in the 100 IM. My coach said my 100 IM and 100 back should be about the same, and my 100 IM was 2 seconds slower. Part of this must be mental -- I'm just not used to sucking it up and swimming through the pain on the last length of free.

Updated December 15th, 2009 at 10:13 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Masters Swim Meets / Events , Planning
  16. Day 2 NE Champs

by , December 14th, 2009 at 01:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    For Sunday, I did have 3 secret goals and I got them all. First, I wanted to go faster in the 50 fly than last year when my time trial was thrown out. Second, I had one stretch goal of going under 1:10 in the 100 back. And, third, I wanted to do a fast 50 evil split and possibly make top ten in that event. Here's how it went:

50 fly, 29.6

This was my first head to head race against KPN. We were in lanes 5 and 6. She got me on the start and breakout. I caught up in the second length and had a great last 15 yards. Couldn't see the wall clearly and short stroked the finish. She got me by .08. Cheryl Kupan said I should have glided in and would have won. Greg Shaw said it wasn't clear. I have trouble picking up the wall when I'm not breathing and my head's down. But I was super happy with the time. Hopefully, Q won't be disappointed as he instructed me to be mid 29.

100 back, 1:09.5:

I always get nervous swimming 100 back in SCM b/c it's so much longer and painful. But I just reminded myself to go out faster and kick. I think I executed pretty well. Earlier this year, I went 1:10.9, going out in 34.9 and back in 36.0. This time, I went out in 33.5 and came back in the same time. So my entire improvement came from not dogging the first 50. I pretty much stuck to my kick pattern, except that I jammed the second turn, was way too close to the wall, and had trouble getting into kick mode. So I SDK'd 14-13-10-10 per 25. I was really happy with my time as my one stretch goal for this meet was to go under 1:10 and it's a 1.4 second improvement. Comparatively, I went 1:13.9 at the meet in 2007. The SDK work has paid off and I feel like I redeemed myself after that sub par cramp filled 100 back at LCM Nats.

50 breast, 37.6:

I submitted a split request and did the 50 evil as part of the 100 evil. I rocked my pullouts, had good breakouts and hit the pad at 37.6. I was so psyched! I was hoping for a high 38. So this was a huge surprise. A friend just pointed out that this is currently the #1 time in the nation in my age group. Shocker. lol Chris S. said I was fairly close to the 15 meter mark on my first pullout. The less evil stroking, the better! I think this roughly converts to a 33.5, so this is .6 faster than my Zone Record in the 50 evil from last April.

I may retire from evil after the suits are gone, however. I think they help me on evil relatively more than other strokes because I have such a weak breaststroke kick. I discussed this with Mike Ross and Mike Schmidt of ME masters. Mike S. improved his IMs by doing 500 yards of evil kicking in practice. Breaststroke is such an exhausting power stroke that it seems the only way to improve is doing more of it.

I am slightly worried about my split request though, as I don't see the split listed in the results. I hope this is just a printing error, as everyone saw my time on the scoreboard and I clearly hit the pads hard. I have sent an email.

50 free, 28.2:

I was very tired, but decided to give the 50 free another go, as I missed the turn on Saturday. Same result: had a lousy turn again and did the same time. I just can't pick up the bulkhead at this pool for free. Still, for my 7th swim of a two day meet, this was a good time. I didn't have any energy left for a 100 free anyway.

Commentary:

I was thrilled to do 6 PBs. If I could have one do over it might be 50 back. I would have loved to go 30.9. But that is really nit picking, as 31.1. is very speed and likely comparable to my 27.9 in yards and 31.99 in meters.

I may use Chris' ratings calculator later to see what my percentages are. Just have too much to do right now. And, predictably, I'm very tired from the meet. I will not be hitting the pool today. Just resting. And back to the shopping.

Updated December 14th, 2009 at 09:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  17. Day 1 NE SCM Champs

by , December 13th, 2009 at 11:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    NE Champs, Day 1:

Had an easy trip to Boston and even slept decently Friday night! Had a good Saturday, going 3 PBs:

100 IM, 1:11.5

Last year, I went a 1:11.8 at Rutgers (which was a very huge and unexpected drop). This year, I improved .3 on that. Since I only swim the 100 IM twice a year and don't swim it in practice, I'm happy with the time, though not the execution. My "plan" had been to improve on my second 50. (Last year, I was out in 32.7.) Er, I didn't really do this. This year, I was out in 31.9 and totally died on free. (Ande will say this is pathetic when he reads this.) My freestyle seems to fall apart when I'm tired. Chris S. noted that my turnover looked like I was swimming a 400 IM instead of a 100 IM ... lol. He also noted, as I have mentioned before, that my breakout on fly was a bit rocky. I'm not sure how to fix this without going off the blocks more ... I felt like this was a bit of a "getting the cobwebs out" swim, as is common for me on the first event of a meet.

To improve in this event, I need to do 3 thing according to me and Coach Ahelee: (1) work on turns; (2) swim the 100 IM more than once in SCY and SCM; and (3) swim 100 IMs in practice. One year, I'll actually focus on this event. But, hey, a PB is a PB!

50 back, 1st place, 31.1:

Last year, I went 31.7. I was seeded first here in Boston, and really hoped to win. And I did, coming in at 31.1! .6 drop -- which is a big drop in a 50. Probably due to better underwaters. I felt a little bouncy above water. Stud took a video of this race, so hopefully I'll post that soon.

50 free, 28.2

Best time! Last year, I went 28.5. However, I had difficulty on the bulkhead. I went into the turn just a touch behind the leaders and came out 2/3 of a body length behind. Completely blew the turn, too far from the wall. This is somewhat SOP for me on bulkheads. I can only think of 1 50 free in short course where I have nailed the turn on a bulkhead (Auburn where I went 24.9 in SCY). Otherwise, as Wolfy has noted, I'm a bit challenged in this area. This led me to think I may boycott short course 50 frees. Why bother with a flip turn? Long course 50 free is so much better. But, again, I am always happy with a PB and will take it!

Commentary:

I had a fun day at the meet. Stud attended and was burning up the water. A highlight for me was loaning him my uber stretched out B70, which he used for his 200 evil and 50 free. He had previously swum the 50 evil in his cute British flag brief and gone a PB. I video'd all 3 of his races and took pics. So hopefully I'll get those up soon. Or maybe he'll even put them on his blog. He really swam extremely well, and I'm proud of him. Couple pics attached.

I got to meet forumites Gigi and Swimmer Girl KT, who are both lovely and fast. (Thank you, Gigi, for helping me with my cap.) Re-met Greg Shaw, who is not only a fly stud, but the nicest guy ever. Mike Ross and I discussed sprinting, weight lifting, backstroke and joining Maine Masters. (He and Mike Schmidt (who is sooo nice) and Son N. seem to be recruiting. Wow, did they have a big contingent here.) I got to see Chris rip off some very fast times/WRs sans B70. And I scored some ultra swag from Rob Butcher -- two awesome dry fit USMS short sleeved collared shirts. He says more forumites must come to his meets to collect swag.

On the whole, the BU pool is fast and it's warm on the pool deck. But the bulkhead, with all those Xs before the turn, confounds me. Glad I'm not really a pure freestyler. I think I have a slight preference for the Rutgers pool where they hosted CZ in 2007 and 2008. But I didn't have any outside lanes, so that was good.

Good first day, happy with all my times. My turnover, however, felt a bit off. Stud noticed this on the 50 free too. I wonder if this was due to easing off on the sprinting too much during taper? Or maybe I have more power/less turnover from lifting? I did feel like I was getting off the blocks quickly and had power on non-free turns. If I had to do it over again, I might do more fast 12.5s and 25s the last 2 weeks. And I need to practice more race pace turns.

I went out to dinner with Stud and some friends from Maine Masters (can I say I adore and admire Cheryl Kupan for her grace and toughness?). Then slept like crap last night, tossing and turning from 3-7. Par for the course after caffeine. I swam better on day 2, but am too tired to write that up right now, having just gotten back from Boston.

Does anyone remember that I commented long ago that the compression tights and socks sold in tri/bike stores would find a use in swimming? Well, they have! KPN puts them on after meets and while traveling to reduce muscle fatigue. She had a fantastic meet BTW.

On an allergy note, I stopped at Whole Foods to get some dinner on the way to my hotel on Friday night. Not sure what I ate, either the WF salads (biryani salad/w veggies and a bean salad) or a gluten-free granola bar with soy and possible milk. But I had a huge hive attack that night. Not cool. The rice krispie bars with malt didn't bother me at all. Thank goodness! I was very hungry before my last event both days. And I was lusting after pizza when Chris ate some in front me me today. I'm also lusting after his cool Kindle ereader device!

Updated December 14th, 2009 at 10:50 AM by The Fortress

Categories

Name:	P1010833.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	6322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010834.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	6323  
  18. Slightly Peeved, Tuesday, Nov. 17

by , November 17th, 2009 at 08:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Noon Hot Yoga:

Went to the noon hot yoga class. I'm getting ever so closer to touching my head to my toes in one of the final positions. I might close the last two inches in the next millenium ...

Commentary:

I'm feeling slightly peeved today:

My shoulder is still nagging me. (I'm fairly sure I just overdid it on the HS hi row a week or so ago with my new PR. When I tweak my shoulder, it usually takes a good 3 weeks for the symptoms to fade. It's not bad, just annoying and irritating and a constant reminder to do my damn boring RC exercises. I think this will force me to taper upper body weights now.)

I couldn't go to my team practice tonight b/c I had to drive my kid to her pm make up USA practice since high school tryouts were after school. I was pretty tired anyway though ...

GMU has apparently instituted a "no make up" policy for masters swimmers. This means that if official masters practice is cancelled or you can't make a regular practice, you can't go in during the 8-9 am or 12-2 pm lap swim hours to make it up. This seriously sucks, since the pool is regularly closed for meets on the weekend, thus obviating 50% of the regular practices. (None of the nighttime swimmers can or want to do make ups at 4:15 am.) And we get no rebate when our practices are summarily cancelled. This further sucks since the masters team helps subsidize the college team with our meets and fees. Irksome. A couple of us have complained to management, but their new policies (including pay in full in advance) seemed designed to drive (and in fact have driven) some of our masters swimmers away. I know a couple other team members that swim at 8-9 and they are fuming as well.

I just sent in my entries for NE Champs today, right before the deadline. Then, this afternoon, Mr. Fort just announced that he will be in Tucson on Dec. 11 when I leave. Since my other kids have sports practices and swim meets, this poses a logistical nightmare for me. Since he's been on a Patrick like traveling spree the past month, this is irksome. I am irked. Though I'm sure it will pass.

On the upside, I will still meet Pete for our Thursday sprint practice, but at OakMarr Rec Center instead.

NE Champs:

I entered the following events:

Saturday:

100 IM
    50 back
    50 free

There's only one event between the 50 back and 50 free (200 breast). But evil is slow mo and I'm sure there will be many heats of the 50 free.

Sunday:

50 fly
    100 back
    100 evil
    100 free

I intend to submit split requests for the 100 evil and 100 free.

I submitted my best times for every event except 100 evil and 100 free, since I will be dogging the second 50 on those. Actually, I submitted a faster 50 fly time, since my last time didn't count as official.

And on the issue of time trials not counting in masters, check the last paragraph of this out:

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...news/22599.asp

I am now going to finish my motherly chores and sit and watch the MadMen episodes I missed this season ...

Updated November 17th, 2009 at 10:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Yoga , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  19. 50 fly/back vids, Monday, Oct. 26

by , October 26th, 2009 at 03:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Run:

Went for a 5 mile zen run today. Perfect fall weather!

Videos from Sprint Classic:

Here are the meet results: http://www.patriotmasters.org/Sprint...limResults.htm

I was lucky enough to have Speedo and SwimStud tape my 50 fly and Swimmy tape the final heat of the women's 50 back. And I must say, they revealed all my technical difficulties! lol

On the 50 back, my underwater on the second 25 was better than my first 25 -- somewhat unusual for me. On the first 25, I broke out with my head at an angle instead of leaning back. I recall this moment. I had done 13-14 dolphin kicks and was thinking that I better get the hell to the surface fast. But I thought my turn looked decent.

On the 50 fly, I took a HUGE look at my nearby competitor. 100 lashes, though I do note some acceleration after that look. My breakouts looked a little rocky as well. And my start ... well, that was my worst one of the meet and I made a lot of noise. lol And yes, I was wearing a B70 and my chief competitor (former secret nemesis was AWOL) was not, but I was old enough to be her mom.

Here's the final 50 back heat of Team Hottub Ladies, most of whom are illustrious top ten backstrokers and good swim buddies:

Lane 3, Barbara Clifford-Dicks
    Lane 4, Fort
    Lane 5, SwimmieAvsFan
    Lane 6, Julie-Mulie Oplinger Roddin
    Lane 7, Swimshark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjKjaq8IKs"]YouTube- MVI 1033[/ame]

Barb and SwimmieAvsFan have been really working on their SDKs and I think it really shows!

And here's the 50 fly taped by Speedo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2T_GJLUsg"]YouTube- swimming sprint classic 006.avi[/ame]

If you look closely, you can see Stud in his itsby bitsy teeny weeny Speedo brief on the other side of the pool taping.

The 50 fly from the other side of the pool taped by Stud:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRcif3L90cg"]YouTube- Leslie 50 Fly zones...[/ame]

Sore neck:

My neck is pretty sore today. I noticed a twinge in the right side after the evilstroke start. So it was either caused by: (1) so many starts, (2) checking out the competition, or (3) swiveling my head to check out the cute guys in the hottub (Eney's suggestion, lol). I would have liked to go for a slow swim this afternoon and sit in the hottub, but it's a no go with too much to do. Tomorrow hopefully.

Updated November 5th, 2009 at 11:04 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Running , Masters Swim Meets / Events
  20. Sprint Classic

by , October 25th, 2009 at 06:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Celebrated my 5th anniversary as a masters swimmer today at the GMU Sprint Classic. My first masters meet was Oct. 2005, a few months after being hobbled by running injuries.

I swam the 50 back, 50 breast, 50 fly and the four 25s. Didn't have enough gas to swim the 50 free -- it was just too close to the 50 fly and I was still tired. Plus, I didn't want to be absolutely trashed for the very fun annual Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters.

Here's how it went:

50 back: 1st place, 28.55

2005 time: 31.1

Turnover was good, but felt a bit choppy, much like the Fall Ball. My first breakout was not ideal; I was angled up to much instead of having my head back. I glided into the finish again a bit (though not quite as loco mcstupid as the prior meet). Not sure I should have taken another stroke. Wolfy noted that, based on my stroke count, I was in "no man's land" where either gliding in or smacking my arm on the wall was inevitable. Still, apart from CZ last April, this is my second fastest 50 back time ever -- the same time I swam fully tapered at Auburn last February.

50 evil, 3rd place(?), 34.82

Got absolutely owned on my gridges with Wolfy and Stud. Kudos to them! And an absolute failure to execute on my part. I went way too deep on the start. I had a good streamline, dolphin kick, pull down and kick up and, then, well, I was still 2 feet under water at the 15 meter mark ... Very comical. I thought I was floating up veeeerrrry slowly to the surface, but others detected some unintentional flutter kicking. However, despite everyone shouting "DQ" at what seemed like the top of their lungs after the race, I wasn't DQ'd. lol But I must admit that, after floating around in a streamline position for seemingly forever, I completely forgot everything Allen Stark ever said to me about evilstroke and swam old style evil. Still, I guess if you discount my little "error" the swim wouldn't be that far off the 34.1 I swam at CZ last April where I had a good start and turn.

50 fly: 1st place, 27.65

2005 time: 29.5

Pretty solid race. I felt like I was missing some zip, didn't have the best streamline entering the water, and glided just a tad into the turn and finish. Speedo filmed this race, so I'll see what it looks like on video. (I looked quickly on camera -- and it showed me peeking at the competition!) I went 27.5 last year at this meet, so this is virtually equivalent.

Battle of the Drop Dead Sprinters:

Now, for the BEST part of the meet. Last year, I went:

25 back, 13.96 (1st)
    25 evil, 15.95 (3rd)
    25 fly, 12.71 (3rd)
    25 free, 12.01 (1st)

This year, I went:

25 back, 13.74 (1st)
    25 evil, 15.69 (4th)
    25 fly, 12.61 (1st)
    25 free, 12.01 (1st)

I was a little worried about defending my Fastest Woman in the Pool title after scoring 0 points on the 25 evil (though I had a much better start). But I got really good starts on my last 2 25s, especially on my 25 fly where Wolfy said I had a great breakout. I barely held off Cheryl Ward and Jen O'Reilly in the 25 free -- they were closing fast. SwimmieAvsFan showed some real sprint today (including winning the 50 free)! I'm hoping my sprint victory makes Ahlee happy -- I'm getting older, but still faster.

The boys' 25s were fast and furious! One guy went 9.96 in the 25 free in a brief (though no one's brief was as brief as those sported by Muppet and SwimStud!) Typically, the clock doesn't start picking up times until 10 seconds, but fortunately Cheryl had re-set the clock to pick up times at 9. Wow!

I wish more meet directors would do 25s! It's great speed work, great work on starts and great fun. I was happily surprised that my times were slightly faster than last year. And I liked my prize -- goggles, cap and cool t-shirt from our first CZ meet at GMU. I still am wearing the GMU suit I won in 2007 as well.

Sat in the hottub chatting with Speedo, Wolfy, Cage Fighter, SwimStud and SwimShark.

Commentary:

I didn't feel completely "on" at the meet. In fact, Speedo and I both felt slightly flat. It could possibly be that a 3 day taper would have been better than a 5+ day taper. Also, I usually don't lift at all the week before a meet and this week I lifted 2x, although somewhat lightly. Who knows exactly how much these little things make a difference, if at all. But it was a very fun, very low key meet.

I feel pretty trashed now. Swimming at a meet is so much more exhausting than doing AFAP work at practice.

I chatted with Jeff Roddin at bit before scratching the 50 free. We agreed that it is very difficult to swim 4 50s + 4 25s at a meet at a high level on the type of AFAP workouts I am currently doing. To do that many events, we both thought some more conditioning was required. For this reason, I will likely not enter the 50 evil at NEChamps on Sat. and stick with no more than 3 events per day.

Wolfy encouraged me to continue yoga, asserting I would get more bang for my buck doing that as opposed to more lifting. I'm not sure about this, as I'm already pretty flexy. But it definitely loosens up my upper and mid back more than usual.

And ... my trusty B70 developed a small hole after the 50 back. It didn't get any bigger as the meet went on. But it seems to be ending it's life span. Of course, it's nothing like Wolfy's B70 ...

On that note, I'm not sure there is an "apples to apples" comparison of my times between this year's meet and last year's meet. The B70 I wore at last year's meet was much newer than this one. There's nothing quite as performance enhancing as a spanking new suit.

And, Jimby, your buddy Mark Cox is a real speedster! He swam great today.

Updated October 26th, 2009 at 09:17 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast