View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Tuesday, March 15

by , March 15th, 2011 at 05:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

650 various

10 x 25
    odds = shooter
    evens = drill

1 x 25 fast backstroke kick
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 15 burst fly + cruise
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 25 fast free
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 15 back spin drill + cruise
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 25 fast backstroke, no SDK
    1 x 50 EZ

125 EZ

Total: 1375

Stretching, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I wish the meet were tomorrow. I'm tired of resting. Full on taper bitchies here.

Psycho sheet: http://www.pvmasters.org/albatross/psych11.htm

I'm ever so happy Jimslie is coming, and that he has even decided to blog again!

Forget carbs! http://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...your_acid_dose

Updated March 15th, 2011 at 09:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  2. Monday, March 14

by , March 14th, 2011 at 06:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

10 x 25 shooters
    odds = back
    evens = belly

50 EZ

6 x 50
    4 x backstroke start + power kick to 15 + cruise (was about a yard short of usual distance)
    2 x backstroke spin drill + cruise

50 EZ

4 x 50
    25 AFAP + 25 EZ
    2 x free
    1 x back kick
    1 x fly

100 EZ

Total: 1550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Felt completely blah today. I'm chalking this up to the usual taper blahs plus not doing any speed work over the weekend. Really ready to stop tapering. The last week is always torture.
    I'm starting to feel a little twitchy-b*tchy from all the rest. I got a huge amount of sleep last night (for me), but woke up with a sore neck and shoulder. Glad I have an ART tune up
    appointment scheduled for Thursday.

Got confirmation from Jeff that he entered me in the 200 back for the Albatross SCM meet as well. So my line up for my first meet as a 50 year old is:

50 back
    100 back
    200 back (maybe)
    50 fly
    200 medley rela
    The "couples relay" would be fun, but it's right before the 200 back & 50 fly.

Looks like there's 194 swimmers. And, happily, I've been able to persuade Jimslie to attend!

I also signed up for Colonies Zones today. My Saturday only line up for my last meet as a 49 year old is:

100 free (for 50 split)
    mixed 200 medley relay
    50 breast
    100 back
    women's 400 medley relay (fly leg)
    women's 200 free relay

The only individual event on Saturday that I'm really interested in is the 100 back. I don't recall that I've ever swam the 100 back at Zones before. It's always back to back with the 50 fly, and I usually opt for fly. But since I just logged a 27.2 at Warrenton, I'm going to focus on the 100 back. I wasn't sure what time to enter as I will only rest a few days for this meet. But I went ahead and put in a 1:02.8, which is less than a second off my 1:01.9 Atlanta PR. Hope that's not too ambitious. I may scratch the 50 breast; I'll play it by ear.

Updated March 14th, 2011 at 11:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Sunday, March 13

by , March 13th, 2011 at 09:06 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

RC work, 15-20 minutes

Stretching, 30 minutes

@ Gym SCM Pool:

30 minute slow swim

15 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Didn't have time to hit the gym/pool until the very end of the day today. The gym pool was teeming with all manner of humanity of all ages -- not ideal for a workout. So I decided to just cruise. I'm going to use the workouts I did before NE Champs for the next week. I need to get some serious sleep this week. I've been burning the midnight oil and gotten very little solid sleep the last few nights. The spring time change never agrees with me.

I entered the Albatross meet today: 50 back/100 back/50 fly. I forgot to enter the 200 back on line, so I sent an email to Jeff Roddin asking him to add that event for me. I will want to do another 50 back if anything goes awry with the first one (feet slip, forget nose clip, go past 15 -- I've done all those, though it's extremely rare). There are also 4 people from my team entered, so we may do a 200 medley relay at the end of the meet. At least I'm voting for the 200 over the 400 since I am swimming fly.

Updated March 13th, 2011 at 09:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  4. Friday, March 11

by , March 11th, 2011 at 06:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Set:

I adapted Speedo's short rest stroke+kick set from today to make it a taper set. I didn't do these straight through though, too much chatting with Jazzy here and there. Used fins.

4 x 50 fly drill @ 1:00
    4 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (25 belly shooter + 25 EZ)
    4 x 50 back drill @ 1:00
    4 x 50 kick @ 1:00 (25 back shooter + 25 EZ)
    4 x 50 breast drill @ 1:05
    skipped breast kick

-- Joined Jazz at this juncture. He had been doing some sprint endurance work, and that was not on my taper agenda.

1 x 50 (25 AFAP free + 25 EZ)
    4 x 50 kick w/Jazz (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)
    -- did 2 back shooters, went high 9s
    -- did 2 flutter kick w/boards, went 11s
    1 x 50 AFAP back shooter, went high 21-22
    -- thought I'd be slower b/c I flipped too far from the wall and didn't get a good push off
    4 x 50 free @ 1:00 as warm down

50 EZ

Total: 2150

P90X Stretch DVD, 60 minutes

Commentary:

I was slightly sore in the scapular area from the torque drills yesterday. Shouldn't do new stuff on taper, I know. But my upper body seems to rest up pretty fast. The Resting of the Legs continues. I am taking tomorrow off and skipping Lil Fort's 7:00 am soccer game in far out VA.

The former Cream Puff gave me a scull drill to try. I think I vaguely recall doing this at a Mason practice. Position your body as if you were sitting in a chair in the water, try to keep feet and heels out of the water. Scull backwards with arms and hands at side.

Warning: Rant:

I was in such a good mood today, and not ready to come home to more disappearing times. The FINA Top Ten rankings for 2010 were released today. I hope they are merely preliminary and can be corrected. Inexplicably, my 50 back (my best event) and 50 fly in SCM were completely left off the list. They would have been #1 and #5 respectively. Oddly, all my other events in SCM and LCM that should be on the list are there. I don't understand how some USMS TT times (and some from the same meet) can be there, and others not. I know other times from NE Champs are on the FINA list, including my own and Chris'. You'd think they'd submit all the data from our own TT database together? Or maybe this is a FINA error? I just find it somewhat shocking that FINA could produce such an error riddled list. But maybe I shouldn't be ... I have sent an email to Walt Reid about the matter. If anyone knows who else I should try to contact, please let me know. I always get a sinking feeling in my gut when my times go missing. This has happened on other occasions, and I'm starting to feel somewhat jinxed. I'm really hoping it can be fixed promptly; I've just never heard of a FINA list being "preliminary." However, since the USMS list is still preliminary, the FINA list must by default be preliminary?

I've also found some other omissions including:

Valerie Jenkins (45-49 50 back)
    Susan Williams (40-44 50 back, 50 fly)
    Fall W. (40-44 50 back, 50 free, 50 fly, 50 breast)
    Lisa Dahl (45-49 50 free & 50 fly)
    Karen Andrus-Hughes (50-54 50 back)
    Traci Granger (50-54 50 fly)
    Lisa Bennett (50-54 50 breast)
    Laura Val (55-59 50 free, 50 back, 50 fly)

It appears that something went haywire with the 50s.

Congrats to all those making this list! I saw many rankings for fellow bloggers Chris and Ande.

In general, the LCM rankings seem faster than the SCM rankings in my events. But that could be due to the World Games being held in tech suits. Will do a comparison.

Updated March 12th, 2011 at 11:13 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  5. CNS Speedplay w/Speedo, Thursday, March 10

by , March 10th, 2011 at 07:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Speedo @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

600 various

Transition:

15 x 50 drill/kick mix w/fins @ 1:00/1:15
    1-5 = belly shooter + backstroke hesitation
    6-10 = Lochte single arm fly
    11-15 = backstroke hesitation + belly shooter

Speedplay:

5 x 50 "torque" drills @ 1:45

Speedo showed me the "torque" drill, a ballistic drill designed to fire up the fast twitch muscles.

In this vid, @ about :54, you can see the drill done as a fast underwater pull only. http://www.floswimming.org/videos/co...tennessee-toys. We used an over the water recovery with one or both arms. It's no easy thing to go from completely prone and still to an AFAP stroke. Slightly hard on the shoulders, but worthwhile. I like the version shown in the video, where the swimmer does a fast underwater pull using both a dorkle and pull buoy.

50 EZ

8 x 25 @ 1:00
    12.5 drag races from mid pool
    12.5 EZ
    -- 3 free, 2 back, 2 breast, 1 shooter

drag race = start prone mid-pool, head at one of the lines on the bottom, AFAP to the wall. It's very different from a burst where you have a push off instead of a completely dead start.

100 EZ

2 x through, no fins:

25 EZ
    10 seconds AFAP vertical dolphin kick
    25 WZ
    burst dolphin kick shooter to 15 + cruise
    25 EZ

50 EZ

Total: 2250

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

Got it in!

I read through the stretches in Dara Torre's new book. There's one I really like called the QL-Core Twist. I've done a variation of this for years, but I like her version:

QL-Core Twist:

http://swimming.about.com/od/famouss...th-Fitness.htm

Sit on the floor with your right leg bend, heel toward your crotch. Take your left leg out at about 45 degrees, bending your knee slightly so it's about 4 to 5 inches off the floor.
    Drop your left arm down torward the inside of your left leg, trying to get your shoulder as close to the knee as possible. Keep your arm externally rotated (thumbs up), and grab your toes, ankle, or calf (whatever you can). Place your right hand behind your head as if you're hanging out at the beach. Contract your body forward as if doing a crunch, and try to get your right elbow to touch the ground. Push your left arm/ shoulder against your left knee and your left knee against your arm (so it stays straight up and doesn't rotate outward), and open your body up toward the ceiling.

Commentary:

Whew, I'm pretty tired from so little yardage. But that was a fun little practice. Love the crazy innovative speed drills (and lack of tedium ).

I encourage everyone to watch the Lady Vols/Floswimming link. There is some really good stuff there, including some interesting TRX exercises and a fly + med ball drill @ 6:45 that I will definitely try.

Speedo left abruptly after the drag races with no warm down. He mumbled something quickly about not wanting to warm down/swim slowly to erase the CNS work he'd done sprinting. Is this a real phenomenon? Or did he just have to scoot back to work quickly?

I am a total FLOG failure. I see I haven't put in anything since Monday. When I taper, my # of swims goes up and my kicking yardage goes way down. Guess that's normal.

Garrett Weber-Gale's Nutrition for Performance Series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-dG...embedded#at=11

Emergence of the "Bike Cafe":

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41953889...active_travel/

Interesting note about whether diet can obviate the need for supplements:

http://www.self.com/fooddiet/blogs/n...-daily-ne.html

Updated March 10th, 2011 at 09:37 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  6. Wed., March 9

by , March 9th, 2011 at 06:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

RC Work, 20 minutes

Stretching, 30 minutes

@ Pool:

30 minute slow continuous swim

15 minutes hottub

Commentary:

I didn't have any sprinting planned for today because I know I'm always mushy and sluggish after a deep tissue. But I did get my stretching in so no one would have to scold me.

On other random notes of interest:

1. I read today that an article about the strengthening properties of beer is coming out in Men's Health. I know some people who need to run right out and buy this issue!

2. Geek added this link in a comment yesterday and I wanted to post it here too:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ance-training/.

3. I've decided I mistrust most people that are certified trainers. Most of them don't even look that fit.

4. I am still adhering to my gluten free diet. Every once in awhile I try something with gluten (last time pizza) to see if I am able to tolerate it any better. This just results in me feeling tired and slightly ill. I have now discovered oat flour though, so I am prepared to go back to eating homemade cookies and bread and getting fat.

5. Jim Thornton recently opined that your diet makes little difference in performance because your body doesn't distinguish between different kind of carbs and proteins, i.e., a twinkie is the same as a mango. I know nutrition is a complicated subject, but this cannot be right ... http://www.med.nyu.edu/hjd/harkness/...erformance.pdf

6. I am bracing for another night of teenage angst as Mini Fort just called me and told me she had "the worst day of her life" for the third time in 2 weeks. Crew is harder than she imagined.

7. I have not entered the Albatross Open yet because I am still mulling over seed times.

8. Does anyone know when the FINA SCM & LCM rankings come out?

Updated March 9th, 2011 at 10:32 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  7. Keep on Tapering, Tuesday, March 8

by , March 8th, 2011 at 04:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Finless Combo Set:

4 x 50 heads up single arm fly @ 1:00
    8 x 25
    odds = shooter on belly
    evens = EZ
    8 x 25
    odds = dive from side, power kick to 15 (12 kicks) + breakout + cruise
    evens = EZ

4 x 50 backstroke hesitation drill @ 1:05
    8 x 25 shooters on back
    25 EZ down to backstroke start blocks
    8 x 25
    odds = backstroke start + power kick to 15 (15 kicks) + cruise
    evens = EZ
    25 EZ

4 x 50 russian breast drill @ 1:10
    8 x 25 long underwater breast pullouts
    8 x 25
    odds = burst doggy paddle drill
    evens = easy

200 EZ

Total: 2750

hottub, 15 minutes

Commentary:

This was a variant of a workout I did at this same time prior to NE Champs. Initially, I had thought perhaps the Warrenton meet was too close to my taper meet (only 2 weeks apart). But now I'm thinking it may have been beneficial to help alleviate (or at least delay) the taper hyperness/angst/boredom from which I usually suffer. And I am hopeful that the massage I'm about to dash off to will help flush the remaining lactic acid from the meet. Lats are somewhat sore from the sprint fly. Still feel pretty smooth in the water though.

As of today, there are 119 swimmers signed up for the Albatross SCM meet. I'm assuming quite a few more will enter at the last minute, as I am always wont to do.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Vid + Post Meet Recovery, Monday, March 7

by , March 7th, 2011 at 04:12 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

20 x 50 @ 1:00 or so
    5 of each stroke
    Drill fly, back, breast, overkick free

50 EZ

20 x 25 shooters w/fins

4 x back, left side, right side, belly, twirling

50 EZ

3 x 150 w/fins
    100 back + 15 seconds rest + 50 shooter

50 EZ

10 x 25 no fins

Odds = breast alternating dolphin and whip kick
    Evens = shooter on back or belly

150 EZ

Total: 3200

----------------------------------------------------

Commentary:

I was extremely grateful that Mr. Fort got up early to take Lil Fort to Girls on the Run before school so I could catch up on sleep. I was pretty tired after the meet last night, but didn't wake up feeling totally slammed like I sometimes do after even a one day meet. I felt pretty smooth in the water today as well, though I avoided anything fast. I actually feel more tired now after the workout than I did this AM. Glad I have a deep tissue massage scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

I'm driving Lil Fort around to indoor soccer and swim practice now, but hoping I will summon up the energy to stretch tonight. Otherwise, feel free to hurl vicious insults.

It's a little tricky having a meet two weeks before a taper meet. I feel like I'll need a couple more days to fully recover; I'll probably stick with aerobic/hypoxic work.

100 fly vid:

SwimShark was kind enough to put my 100 on YouTube, so I'll add that link when I'm home later. Here it is:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6ksi48crM"]YouTube - Leslie's 100 fly[/nomedia]

Looks like I got off the blocks pretty quickly. I can definitely see the piano at the end. But it looks like everyone else had the same piano. Well, maybe not that serious guy sandbagger over in lane 8. I'm not sure if this is a good thing, but my feet come out of the water when I kick much more than the other swimmers. Probably still picking my head up to high to breathe. And had a major glide into the first turn.

Other links:

On the topic of salmon which we discussed last week, I read this recently in the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...EYWORDS=salmon

And, never would have guessed, but PRP is now being used for "vampire facelifts":

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/fashion/WEBSkin.html

This looks like a very hard P90X mix:

http://www.twitvid.com/U0A0I

Updated March 7th, 2011 at 06:41 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Friday, March 4

by , March 4th, 2011 at 06:39 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

RC work, 20 minutes

Stretching, 30 minutes

Swim/SCM/Solo:

1000 easy

hottub, 20 minutes

Commentary:

Just taking it easy for the meet this weekend.

Iron in Athletes:

I started stressing about my thyroid levels earlier today. According to my recent labs, my levels of free T 3 and free T4 are worse in the last 6 weeks even though my thyroid medication was slightly increased. The only change has been adding iron to my regimen. Every doctor I've consulted seems to feel fairly strongly that my ferritin levels are simply too low. But I'm starting to wonder if the iron is preventing absorption of the thyroid hormones (a known side effect) while not helping much. Perhaps borderline anemia is my own norm? I've been that way all my life. Dr. Jimslie tends to dismiss diagnoses of anemia, saying that athletes suffer from pseudo-anemia. This is caused by a dilutional effect -- greater blood plasma volumes from training.

I decided to do some quick googling and found this article:

http://blog.firstendurance.com/2008/...ance-athletes/

One relevant excerpt:

"However, the most common cause of a low hematocrit (a ratio of red blood cells to whole blood) in athletes is pseudo-anemia, which is a dilution of the blood caused by plasma expansion. This is not true anemia, as the actual number of red blood cells is not decreased. (Portal 2003) Another study showed that endurance athletes were less likely than the general population to have iron deficiency. Out of 52 controls, 50% were iron deficient, and out of 126 atheletes, 26% were iron deficient. (Malczewska 2000)"

Another article and excerpt:

http://www.gssiweb.com/Article_Detai...?articleid=276

"But sports anemia is a misnomer because in most such athletes—especially men—the low hemoglobin level is a false anemia. The total volume of red cells in the body is normal, not low. Hemoglobin level is decreased because aerobic exercise expands the baseline plasma volume; this reduces the concentration of red cells, which contain the hemoglobin. In other words, the naturally lower hemoglobin level of an endurance athlete is a dilutional pseudoanemia."

Maybe my doctors just don't think I'm an athlete?

Updated March 4th, 2011 at 06:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  10. Swim w/Jazz, Thursday, Mar. 3

by , March 3rd, 2011 at 09:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo + Jazzy:

Warm up:

600 various

Transition:

8 x 50 fly drills @ 1:00 or so

10 x 25 easy speed shooters

6 x 25 w/mini bursts

50 EZ

-- I did this while Jazz was in the adjacent lane banging out some fast 50 frees.

Mini Speed Set:

6 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 25 EZ) @ 2:00

fly, 11
    back, 11
    breast, 11
    free, high 10
    fly, high 10
    back, high 10-11 (? can't really remember)

200 EZ

Total: 1950

hottub, 20 minutes (thought the jets don't really seem to be working

Commentary:

Just a nice little pre-meet drill + speed workout with lots of chatting with Jazz. That boy is getting in shape!

I was stymied in my stretching efforts today by my two girls, both of whom drove me bonkers in their own special talented ways. (In my own experience, girls are so much harder than boys.) I'm sure I won't be able to stretch every day in the Month of the Stretch. But I'm aiming for 5x week.

I was at Mini's swim & dive award banquet tonight and got a good swim tip. One of the fast chicks won an award for the "Glide Girl" because she uses glide to get her tight kneeskin on. That had never occurred to me. Doh. Great way to get the pesky things up and over the hips. I'm going to go hunt around the house to see if I can locate my glide.

Psych sheet for Warrenton meet:

http://www.warrentonmasters.org/Blog...ing-swim-meet/.

WRT to the 100 fly, I think I'm going to breathe more than usual. In short course, I usually breathe every other stroke. But, with long underwaters, you can still create an oxygen debt. Chris once suggested I throw in some singles in LCM, and that worked like a charm. So I may do this weekend as well. I am thankfully in the predominantly girl heat instead of the boy heat.

Updated March 3rd, 2011 at 09:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Fly Centric, Wed., March 2

by , March 2nd, 2011 at 05:19 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ GYM:

RC work, 20 minutes

-- get on it Speedo and That Guy!

Stretching/Yoga, 40 minutes

Swim/SCM/Solo @ Gym:

Warm up:

700 various

Fly Centric Main Sets:

20 x 25 dolphin kick shooters
    5x back, left side, right side, belly, twirling
    working on up kick

50 dolphin dive

10 x 25
    odds = fly @ 100 pace
    evens = EZ

50 dolphin dive

10 x 25 "bursts" @ 1:00
    - 2 free, 2 backstroke spin drill, 2 fast doggy paddle, 2 evil, 2 dolphin kick

50 dolphin dive

10 x 25 heads up fly drill

-- from Lochte vid: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4IgctibNg&feature=related"]YouTube - Ryan Lochte demonstrates stroke drills[/nomedia]

-- I like this drill much better than regular single arm fly

50 dolphin dive

Total: 2150 meters

Hottub, 20 minutes

Commentary:

I felt pretty swell in the water today, most likely because I didn't do drylands on Tuesday. Just going to cruise the next 3 days before the meet and take Saturday off. I really have no idea what to expect time wise on Sunday. Assuming, that is, that I actually awaken at the correct time. (I forgot to set my alarm last night and my Lil Fort had to come looking for me before she left for school.) I haven't done a race before 10:00 since I can remember. The last time I swam 100 fly on 5 days rest was Zones last year when I went a 1:02.7. But that was with what Jimslie derogatorily calls the "body kayak." I guess I'd be pretty happy to go a 1:03. No idea on the 100 IM. One would think this would be a great event for me, but I seem to underachieve and the breast leg just kills me. I seem to recall in my last 100 IM in SCM (1:11), I had a 7 second gap between 50s. (Hope Ande is not reading this.) Could be a mental thing. And, if so, what's the best way to banish this kind of mental block?

Push up/Pull ups:

On the hottest blog on the internet (with perhaps the dullest title -- work on that, Speedo!), Geek posted this program which has me intrigued:

http://hundredpushups.com/

What say people about whether push ups hurt your shoulders or not?

For awhile, I was regularly doing an isometric push up hold using steps that didn't seem to bother my shoulders. (I did this along with my 5:00 extreme angle isometric squat.) Ran across this article discussing them: http://www.mikemahler.com/magazine/07.html. Oddly, the article promotes them as active recovery, whereas they were recommended to me as increasing strength in non-isometric motions.

The pull up program seems beyond me, though pull ups are a great exercise. But hard, that's why I haven't done them in so long. And I seem to prefer chin ups.

http://www.fiftypullups.com/

Shoulder Tendonitis

SCY Freestyler also posted an article on shoulder issues from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/01/he...e&ref=homepage

I have used PRP on my left shoulder to fairly good effect. That also coincided with me adopting a kick centric workout style and de-emphasizing freestyle. I'm not sure it works as well on the foot. Lil Fort dropped a hard cover book on my foot by accident last night and I let an F bomb fly; it was excruciating. This leads me to believe that a foot injury heals more slowly, that the trauma from the injections takes longer to subside and that recovery is prolonged because you're always using the foot and because, unlike RC tendons, you can't exactly strengthen the surrounding muscles. A very vexing problem. I may delay what I hope is my final PRP treatment until the end of May.

Updated March 2nd, 2011 at 06:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Swim & Supplement News, March 1

by , March 1st, 2011 at 05:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various
    done slower than even creaky Geekity

Main Sets:

8 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = backstroke kick
    evens = backstroke

8 x 100 done as:
    25 fast
    25 EZ
    50 drill

-- Did a variety of things on the fast ones.

50 EZ

8 x 50 breast
    odds = with dolphin kick
    evens = with flutter kick

150 EZ

Total: 3000

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

Commentary:

The worst month of the year is over!!! Bring on Spring.

I was feeling pretty optimistic when I walked in today as I saw the noodlers filing out. But then I hopped in the water for my plain vanilla workout and it was much warmer than usual. Blech. Didn't feel so hot either, but I never seem to feel that great in the water after a rest day. This is a fairly new trend; I used to feel super after a day off. Just another fun aspect of being a geezer swimmer ...

Got the results of more blood work today. I have reversed most of my vitamin deficiencies to acceptable levels, except I am still somewhat low in Vitamin D, iron, RBC magnesium. Got another injection of the latter. Unfortunately, my thyroid levels are still too low, which probably accounts in part for the fact that I can't drag myself out of bed in the morning. More T3 and T4 for me. All I have to say is that when this problem is fixed (and it's sure taking awhile) and my energy levels are restored, watch out!

Supplements:

Speaking of supplements, a friend forwarded me this very interesting link, which shows the evidence (strong, good, promising, conflicting, slight) for numerous supplements. When you put your mouse on the bubble, it tells you the supplement's purported benefit. And when you click on the bubble, it takes you to the underlying scientific study.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Interestingly, Q's favorite new supplement -- garlic -- is listed for it's cancer/cardio benefits, not its immunity benefits. I had to google the "promising" supplement NAC, as I hadn't heard of it and this is what I found:

"NAC (the stable form of the amino acid cysteine) is a powerhouse of a supplement with potent antioxidant activity. In addition to combating exercise-induced damage to muscle tissue, it helps detoxify the liver, build connective tissue, fight viral infections, and combat the effects of age."

http://www.nutros.net/nsr-02025.html

Anyone using this? Seems potentially perfect for overtraining masters.

Other recent articles:

http://www.naturalnews.com/031518_nu...eficiency.html (nutrient thieves, and explaining the importance of magnesium)

http://www.selfhelpdaily.com/foods-that-prevent-cancer/ (cancer preventers)

http://www.todaystmj4.com/features/y...114396359.html (superfoods)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=supplements (B12 deficiency)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=supplements (vitamin D for respiratory infections)

Lochte Drills:

In case you didn't see this link on Quick's blog, here is Ryan Lochte demonstrating some stroke drills.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4IgctibNg&feature=related"]YouTube - Ryan Lochte demonstrates stroke drills[/nomedia]

I'm going to try the heads up single arm fly drill. I also do the backstroke spin drill quite frequently -- either during a meet warm up or as a short "burst." Seems to get the turnover firing.

February Totals:

swim 17x
    bike 5x
    yoga 5x
    drylands 8x
    ART 2x

It's interesting that my FLOG created a fictional total time for my 17 swims. I never enter a time for my workouts.

Updated March 1st, 2011 at 07:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Sunday, Feb. 27

by , February 27th, 2011 at 07:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Mini Drylands, 45 minutes:

broomstick twists & dislocations
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    bicycles on bosu, 2 x 25
    long arm crunches, 50
    hip hinges, 20 x 1 x 10, each leg

RC work, 15 minutes (arm extensions, external rotators, chops on yoga ball with hand weights, scapular scrunches, arm circles, cavic drill with hand weights)

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes:

One day, I'll list and provide links to my stretches. Too busy now -- must watch the Oscars.

And one of USMS's own, nationally ranked Susan Dawson-Cook, has produced her own DVD on stretching. Check it out:

http://www.susandawson-cook.com/pers...st_stretch.htm

Swim/SCM/Solo:

This was another "Technique Sunday."

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

3 x through:

100 single arm (alternate left & right by 25)
    100 kick
    4 x 25 shooters
    2 x 50 drill

#1 = fly
    #2 = back
    #3 = breast

-- For breast, I did the "shooters" as 1 pull 3 kick. I did the 50 drills as BR pull.

8 x 25 breast drill
    alternate dolphin kick with breast kick

-- My timing is still off on my breaststroke kick. Though I did realize that when I'm kicking, I'm not kicking very hard but going through the motions because I'm usually focusing on a quick recovery. Doh, might go faster if I think about my kick instead.

16 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy

8 x 25 breast drill
    alternate dolphin kick with breast kick

8 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens - easy

-- I wanted to do more, but there was a portly noodling type in my narrow lane. Just made it extremely difficult.

100 EZ

Total: 2700 meters

Commentary:

Mini was at a volleyball tournament, Lil Fort at a birthday party and Mr. Fort cycling, so I headed out to the gym this afternoon. It was unusually crowded in the pool. Good thing I didn't have a serious workout planned!

I've seen all the Oscar nominated movies except Winter's Bone. I'm torn between The Fighter and The King's Speech for best picture, though I guess the favorite may be The Social Network.

I did finally get myself signed up for the Warrenton meet (100 fly/50 fly/100 IM) and I saw that the meet was up to 85 people. I'm hoping my foot won't hurt to go off the blocks. My right foot is in the back position, so I need to bend it and push off. This round of PRP seems to be hurting slightly longer than the previous times. Perhaps this is because the doc focused on the inside of the foot, which is always being worked. I wasn't really sure what times to enter. I rarely swim the 100 fly and 100 IM untapered. In fact, due to meet line ups and such, I haven't swum the 100 IM since December 2009. I probably ought to swim one in practice!

Updated February 27th, 2011 at 08:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  14. Fast Friday w/Speedo, Feb. 25

by , February 25th, 2011 at 03:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Speedo @ OakMarr

Warm up:

800 various
    6 x 25 shooters
    6 x 25 with mini bursts

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    a few bursts
    10 seconds fast vertical dolphin kick

Speed work

1 x 50 AFAP

Back shooter w/fins, went high 21
    Slipped a bit on the metal wall at the turn so didn't get a good push off

450 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP
    Went fly, 55

450 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP

Back shooter w/fins
    Felt like I was going faster than first one, but
    both feet slipped on the metal and I just slid down the wall and aborted the effort.

125 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP back shooter w/fins + 75 EZ)
    Went high 9, high 9, 10

50 EZ

Total: 3100

-----------------------------------------------------

Commentary:

This was my first good and enjoyable workout in awhile! Well, except for sliding on the wall and not being able to crush Pete on the last 50. Conditions were not ideal though. The pool was in an odd configuration and I was swimming in the shallow end in two lanes with no lane line and 3 people. I had a rather large noodling type next to me most of the time. I'm obviously spoiled practicing in 12 foot death most of the time.

I believe this is the first time I've cracked 22 in a shooter, though I've been going 22s for awhile. Not so long ago, I only went 22s with my monofin. The 55 in fly is my fastest practice time as well. I felt surprisingly strong given that I rarely swim this distance in practice ... until the last 10 yards of course.

When I arrived home, there was an enormous tree limb across my driveway. It knocked out our phone and Internet service. If I had been home 5 minutes sooner and parked in my usual spot, it probably would have nailed my car.

Updated February 25th, 2011 at 05:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Wed., Feb. 23

by , February 23rd, 2011 at 06:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ OakMarr:

Warm up:

900 various

Main Sets:

20 x 25 easy speed shooters w/fins @ :35 or so

50 EZ

4 (4 x 50 drill) @ 1:00 or so
    4 of each stroke
    did all sorts of drills -- 6 kick switch, chest press fly, hesitation drill, russian breast drill, human drill

200 back easy
    100 free easy

Total: 2550

Commentary:

Today I did the recovery workout I should have done yesterday. My legs are still suffering from DOMs. Upon reflection, I think this may have something to do with the amount of time I've spent on the indoor bike the last 10 days. I hadn't cycled in ages since I started yoga and when you do anything new ... ouch.

It was uncommonly uncrowded for the noon swim at OakMarr. Had my own lane in the deep end. There was a very fast dude swimming right next to me doing one of my staple sets -- 20 x 25, alternate easy speed fly and easy free. (See That Guy, a smilie.) Also saw one of my old teammates who's trying to come back from a shoulder problem. Hi Sue! (She's a lurker.) But no Speedo, and I see he appeared to skip morning practice. No doubt this afternoon he was too busy responding to blog comments to exercise.

Since at the moment, I'm a non-runner, I gave all my winter running clothes to Mini Fort who is using them for rowing. (This negated a proposed shopping spree where she apparently anticipated spending "jillions" of dollars.) Right now, she's rowing in the bow pair with Fort Son's GF on the varsity 8, which is good because our HS has excellent girl rowers (4 of whom placed 1st in various events at the Mid-Atlantic Champs). Mini is by far the smallest rower at 5'4" and one of only 2 lightweights on that boat (assuming she stays there). When her group was taking their boat to the water, her pair said "I hate you at this moment" because she can't really help carry the boat. hahaha

And it looks like Mr Fort and I will be taking Fort Son up to Dartmouth the weekend of May 7-8 to meet and practice with the team. Should be exciting for him, and I think he'll be staying with a freshman. I'm hoping the weather will be pleasant, though Mr. Fort said that when he rowed there in May, it snowed. Noooo. I'm officially over winter.

Going to the gym and to ART tomorrow. I'm going to focus primarily on upper body work and lighten the weight because I am a wuss.

Updated February 23rd, 2011 at 06:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Tuesday, Feb. 22

by , February 22nd, 2011 at 07:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

600 various

5 x 100 free @ 1:45, just cruisin'

8 x 50 various drills, including "human" drill

50 EZ

Speed Work:

ATP-CP 25s:
    10 x 25 burst @ 1:00
    -- I can't do these as a true burst because I'm not pushing off with full ferocity yet.

50 EZ

4 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ) @ 5:00

Went:
    back shooter, high 22
    fly, 25
    back shooter, 23
    breast, 31

-- These were awful. I was battling cramps the whole way. One of the slowest 50 sets I've done.

Total: 2650

Hottub, 20 minutes

Commentary:

I must have a trap door shut on part of my brain because I don't seem to be thinking clearly about the order of my workouts. In retrospect, I should have done a recovery workout today and a speed workout tomorrow. My legs were heavy and very tired from the long dryland-bike + 3,000 kicking the last 2 days. But I guess there is some merit in sprinting when you're tired? I don't usually prefer this method, but I'm going to pretend there is for peace of mind.

And, having consulted my handy dandy month view FLOG, I see that I've done 4 weeks of weights without a recovery week and I'm into week 5. That recovery week I took in January after 3 hard weeks was great, and I swam faster than ever during it and after. I feel like I'm starting to build up some training fatigue now. Looking ahead, I think I will just muddle through this week with one more dryland session and yoga and then shut it all down for 3 weeks while I taper for the Albatross meet. I hate tapering because of my cardio addiction, but I can't say I miss the gym (+ attendant soreness and lactic acid) too much until utter taper boredom sets in.

I really need to stretch tonight. We'll see if I can summon up the requisite energy.

I have decided to swim the following events at my next few meets. Or, I should say, I'm going to sign up for these events, with the possibility of scratching one each meet. Will sign up for Warrenton tonight.

Warrenton, 3/6:

100 fly
    50 fly
    100 IM

Albatross, 3/19:

50 back
    100 back
    200 back
    50 fly

Zones, 4/16

100 free (50 split)
    50 breast
    100 back
    50 fly
    400 medley relay
    200 free relay

-- I think I've only swum 6 events in a single day once in my life, at a Zones meet a couple years ago.

Updated February 22nd, 2011 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Virtual Holiday 5K Club, Mon., Feb. 21

by , February 21st, 2011 at 06:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Since I had a relatively free afternoon, I decided to join the bloggers' Virtual Holiday 5K club along with Bobinator, Gigi, Swimsuit Addict and Celestial. My goal was to complete an aerobic workout with some quality that was not junk yardage. Think I accomplished that! I didn't really follow their skeleton workout, but did do the requisite 4 x "500s" in my own sprinterly way.

Swim/SCY/Virtual Club:

Warm up:

alternate 100 swim/100 kick

200 fly drills

24 x 25 shooters
    8 back
    8 twirling
    8 belly

50 EZ

Main Sets:

5 x 200 backstroke kick @ 3:00

-- At least 5 SDKs off walls, more on first wall.

50 EZ

4 x ("500s" + 50 EZ) done as:

1. 20 x "25s" no fins -- in 12 foot depth, dolphin kick to bottom of pool, squat jump off bottom and dolphin kick to top fast and as high as possible

2. 20 x 25 no fins
    odds = backstroke start and power kick to the 15 (15 kicks) + easy backstroke kick

-- My first few backstroke starts sucked, and my goggles flew up. Then I realized I was getting a poor entry b/c I was bending my knees too
    much.

3. 10 x (25 easy speed fly @ 100 pace + 25 EZ) @ 1:00

4. 10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = russian breast drill
    evens = easy flutter kick w/board

5 x (25 "human" drill + 25 EZ) @ 1:30

150 EZ

Total: 5100/2900 kick

Commentary:

Wow, 5K is not so horrible when you're not crunched for time and can work on things of your choice. Much better, for me, than just cranking out short rest stuff. Also, as I've been feeling somewhat out of sync in the water for awhile, it was nice to stay in longer and work on feel and technique. For the most part, my foot was still encased in fins, though it is feeling better and less swollen. Tomorrow I will be back to swimming half this amount and, hopefully, if the legs aren't completely shot, can do some speed work. I really need to stop avoiding freestyle; it feels awful right now from disuse.

Thanks ladies for the virtual inspiration and company! Having met you all before made it very cool. For Swimsuit Addict's sake, I did not wear my usual black suit, but opted for my light blue Nike suit. No patterns in my swim wardrobe, I'm afraid.

I forgot to do my flog for a few days, so had to catch up. I am kicking *ss on my very conservative GTD goal of 325 miles. However, I am sure I will drop way back at taper time. I have been keeping track of my kicking and race pace work on my FLOG. I just went over the 30,000 mark in kicking with 32,875 after today. Race pace work (90-100%) is at 8,225.

I caught last the 45 minutes of Lil Fort's swim practice tonight. I almost never watch as I do the drop off portion of the drive in our carpool. They were doing a lot of dolphin kicking underwater and a lot of one arm fly into 6 kicks underwater, then up and go with the other arm. They also did underwater free recovery (aka doggy paddle drill) completely submerged. In contrast to their "dolphin" drills, they call this one "human," which made me chuckle.

I felt sorry for Mini Fort. Her first day of crew out on the water was miserable -- low 40s, windy and raining.

Updated February 21st, 2011 at 10:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. Saturday, Feb. 19

by , February 19th, 2011 at 11:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various

Main Sets:

20 x 25 shooters
    10 on back, 10 on belly

50 EZ

20 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = EZ

50 EZ

3 x w/fins:

50 easy speed breast w/dolphin kick @ 1:00
    50 fast dolphin kick w/board @ 1:00 (went 26+s)
    50 EZ @ 1:15
    25 fast shooter + 25 EZ @ 1:00

50 EZ

5 x through, no fins:

100 backstroke kick @ 1:45
    25 fast breast pull w/buoy + 25 EZ @ 1:15
    25 burst + 25 EZ

200 EZ

Total: 3850

Commentary:

After I checked my schedule last night, I realized I couldn't go to my team practice b/c of a conflict with Lil Fort's soccer game. So I braved the noodlers, lap swimmers and lifeguard trainees at the rec center in the afternoon. It wasn't too bad actually, and I had a lane to myself for the majority of the practice. I'm still feeling out of sorts in the water (and on land), but am hoping this will soon subside.

Not even going to try to get up tomorrow, as I've been out late with friends and just picked Mini up after returning home from States. There was some drama there. A very fast sprinter got deeked in the 100 free in prelims for double capping. I'm puzzled by this. Is this some odd high school rule b/c it's legal (I thought) in USAS and masters? It was appealed, but to no avail. And the winner of the 50 free was deeked for twitching on the start.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Friday, Feb. 18

by , February 18th, 2011 at 03:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo:

Warm up:

900-1000 various

Main Sets:

10 x 50 moderate @ 1:00

10 x 25 @ whatever interval Speedo was doing
    8 burst
    2 fast shooters

300 EZ

Total: 2050

Commentary:

For a person of at least moderately sporadic intelligent, I had an off day yesterday. Trying to be efficient, I scheduled my somewhat anemic body for blood work (lots of vials) and PRP (more blood draws) on the same day. I made it worse by forgetting to take iron and having some wine last night. Result: woke up completely flattened with no energy. So, as Speedo notes in his blog, I was NOT ready for any timed efforts. I kind of slogged through this workout next to Mr. Flutter Kick and Jazz Cullen Jones. Hopefully, I can show up next week to give Pete some competition.

The PRP is going reasonably well given the diagnosis (tenosynovitis + arthritis). After the second treatment, there was some noticeable improvement/less pain on the outer part of my big toe. So this time the doc really focused on the inner part. It always takes a few days to ramp up the swimming after PRP. I was doing one foot push offs today, so the 25s suited me just fine.

I'm hoping I feel up to going to my team practice tomorrow to get in some basic aerobic work while my foot calms down.

Still need to sign up for the Warrenton meet, but I can't decide what to swim. https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1481&smid=2767. I wish 100 fly were later in the morning.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Wed., Feb. 16

by , February 16th, 2011 at 04:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Pure recovery day --

Gym:

20 minutes ellipse, warm up pace

20-25 minutes RC exercises

broomstick twists and dislocations

Swim/SCM/Solo:

30 minute slow continuous swim

10 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Felt flattened from the long day of drylands and the deep tissue. Decided to take a pure recovery day. These days are just ungodly boring, but they seem to be necessary for me to recover and they curb my natural impulse to overtrain. Tomorrow is an off day with appointments and errands and hopefully I'll be ready to kick Speedo's butt on Friday.

Updated February 16th, 2011 at 06:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Ellipse Machine