View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Swim & Supplement News, March 1

by , March 1st, 2011 at 05:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various
    done slower than even creaky Geekity

Main Sets:

8 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = backstroke kick
    evens = backstroke

8 x 100 done as:
    25 fast
    25 EZ
    50 drill

-- Did a variety of things on the fast ones.

50 EZ

8 x 50 breast
    odds = with dolphin kick
    evens = with flutter kick

150 EZ

Total: 3000

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

The worst month of the year is over!!! Bring on Spring.

I was feeling pretty optimistic when I walked in today as I saw the noodlers filing out. But then I hopped in the water for my plain vanilla workout and it was much warmer than usual. Blech. Didn't feel so hot either, but I never seem to feel that great in the water after a rest day. This is a fairly new trend; I used to feel super after a day off. Just another fun aspect of being a geezer swimmer ...

Got the results of more blood work today. I have reversed most of my vitamin deficiencies to acceptable levels, except I am still somewhat low in Vitamin D, iron, RBC magnesium. Got another injection of the latter. Unfortunately, my thyroid levels are still too low, which probably accounts in part for the fact that I can't drag myself out of bed in the morning. More T3 and T4 for me. All I have to say is that when this problem is fixed (and it's sure taking awhile) and my energy levels are restored, watch out!

Supplements:

Speaking of supplements, a friend forwarded me this very interesting link, which shows the evidence (strong, good, promising, conflicting, slight) for numerous supplements. When you put your mouse on the bubble, it tells you the supplement's purported benefit. And when you click on the bubble, it takes you to the underlying scientific study.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Interestingly, Q's favorite new supplement -- garlic -- is listed for it's cancer/cardio benefits, not its immunity benefits. I had to google the "promising" supplement NAC, as I hadn't heard of it and this is what I found:

"NAC (the stable form of the amino acid cysteine) is a powerhouse of a supplement with potent antioxidant activity. In addition to combating exercise-induced damage to muscle tissue, it helps detoxify the liver, build connective tissue, fight viral infections, and combat the effects of age."

http://www.nutros.net/nsr-02025.html

Anyone using this? Seems potentially perfect for overtraining masters.

Other recent articles:

http://www.naturalnews.com/031518_nu...eficiency.html (nutrient thieves, and explaining the importance of magnesium)

http://www.selfhelpdaily.com/foods-that-prevent-cancer/ (cancer preventers)

http://www.todaystmj4.com/features/y...114396359.html (superfoods)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=supplements (B12 deficiency)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...DS=supplements (vitamin D for respiratory infections)

Lochte Drills:

In case you didn't see this link on Quick's blog, here is Ryan Lochte demonstrating some stroke drills.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR4IgctibNg&feature=related"]YouTube - Ryan Lochte demonstrates stroke drills[/nomedia]

I'm going to try the heads up single arm fly drill. I also do the backstroke spin drill quite frequently -- either during a meet warm up or as a short "burst." Seems to get the turnover firing.

February Totals:

swim 17x
    bike 5x
    yoga 5x
    drylands 8x
    ART 2x

It's interesting that my FLOG created a fictional total time for my 17 swims. I never enter a time for my workouts.

Updated March 1st, 2011 at 07:57 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Sunday, Feb. 27

by , February 27th, 2011 at 07:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Mini Drylands, 45 minutes:

broomstick twists & dislocations
    med ball slams, 2 x 10
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    bicycles on bosu, 2 x 25
    long arm crunches, 50
    hip hinges, 20 x 1 x 10, each leg

RC work, 15 minutes (arm extensions, external rotators, chops on yoga ball with hand weights, scapular scrunches, arm circles, cavic drill with hand weights)

Stretching/Yoga, 30 minutes:

One day, I'll list and provide links to my stretches. Too busy now -- must watch the Oscars.

And one of USMS's own, nationally ranked Susan Dawson-Cook, has produced her own DVD on stretching. Check it out:

http://www.susandawson-cook.com/pers...st_stretch.htm

Swim/SCM/Solo:

This was another "Technique Sunday."

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

3 x through:

100 single arm (alternate left & right by 25)
    100 kick
    4 x 25 shooters
    2 x 50 drill

#1 = fly
    #2 = back
    #3 = breast

-- For breast, I did the "shooters" as 1 pull 3 kick. I did the 50 drills as BR pull.

8 x 25 breast drill
    alternate dolphin kick with breast kick

-- My timing is still off on my breaststroke kick. Though I did realize that when I'm kicking, I'm not kicking very hard but going through the motions because I'm usually focusing on a quick recovery. Doh, might go faster if I think about my kick instead.

16 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = easy

8 x 25 breast drill
    alternate dolphin kick with breast kick

8 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens - easy

-- I wanted to do more, but there was a portly noodling type in my narrow lane. Just made it extremely difficult.

100 EZ

Total: 2700 meters

Commentary:

Mini was at a volleyball tournament, Lil Fort at a birthday party and Mr. Fort cycling, so I headed out to the gym this afternoon. It was unusually crowded in the pool. Good thing I didn't have a serious workout planned!

I've seen all the Oscar nominated movies except Winter's Bone. I'm torn between The Fighter and The King's Speech for best picture, though I guess the favorite may be The Social Network.

I did finally get myself signed up for the Warrenton meet (100 fly/50 fly/100 IM) and I saw that the meet was up to 85 people. I'm hoping my foot won't hurt to go off the blocks. My right foot is in the back position, so I need to bend it and push off. This round of PRP seems to be hurting slightly longer than the previous times. Perhaps this is because the doc focused on the inside of the foot, which is always being worked. I wasn't really sure what times to enter. I rarely swim the 100 fly and 100 IM untapered. In fact, due to meet line ups and such, I haven't swum the 100 IM since December 2009. I probably ought to swim one in practice!

Updated February 27th, 2011 at 08:49 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga
  3. Fast Friday w/Speedo, Feb. 25

by , February 25th, 2011 at 03:49 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim w/Speedo @ OakMarr

Warm up:

800 various
    6 x 25 shooters
    6 x 25 with mini bursts

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    a few bursts
    10 seconds fast vertical dolphin kick

Speed work

1 x 50 AFAP

Back shooter w/fins, went high 21
    Slipped a bit on the metal wall at the turn so didn't get a good push off

450 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP
    Went fly, 55

450 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP

Back shooter w/fins
    Felt like I was going faster than first one, but
    both feet slipped on the metal and I just slid down the wall and aborted the effort.

125 EZ

3 x (25 AFAP back shooter w/fins + 75 EZ)
    Went high 9, high 9, 10

50 EZ

Total: 3100

-----------------------------------------------------

Commentary:

This was my first good and enjoyable workout in awhile! Well, except for sliding on the wall and not being able to crush Pete on the last 50. Conditions were not ideal though. The pool was in an odd configuration and I was swimming in the shallow end in two lanes with no lane line and 3 people. I had a rather large noodling type next to me most of the time. I'm obviously spoiled practicing in 12 foot death most of the time.

I believe this is the first time I've cracked 22 in a shooter, though I've been going 22s for awhile. Not so long ago, I only went 22s with my monofin. The 55 in fly is my fastest practice time as well. I felt surprisingly strong given that I rarely swim this distance in practice ... until the last 10 yards of course.

When I arrived home, there was an enormous tree limb across my driveway. It knocked out our phone and Internet service. If I had been home 5 minutes sooner and parked in my usual spot, it probably would have nailed my car.

Updated February 25th, 2011 at 05:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Wed., Feb. 23

by , February 23rd, 2011 at 06:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ OakMarr:

Warm up:

900 various

Main Sets:

20 x 25 easy speed shooters w/fins @ :35 or so

50 EZ

4 (4 x 50 drill) @ 1:00 or so
    4 of each stroke
    did all sorts of drills -- 6 kick switch, chest press fly, hesitation drill, russian breast drill, human drill

200 back easy
    100 free easy

Total: 2550

Commentary:

Today I did the recovery workout I should have done yesterday. My legs are still suffering from DOMs. Upon reflection, I think this may have something to do with the amount of time I've spent on the indoor bike the last 10 days. I hadn't cycled in ages since I started yoga and when you do anything new ... ouch.

It was uncommonly uncrowded for the noon swim at OakMarr. Had my own lane in the deep end. There was a very fast dude swimming right next to me doing one of my staple sets -- 20 x 25, alternate easy speed fly and easy free. (See That Guy, a smilie.) Also saw one of my old teammates who's trying to come back from a shoulder problem. Hi Sue! (She's a lurker.) But no Speedo, and I see he appeared to skip morning practice. No doubt this afternoon he was too busy responding to blog comments to exercise.

Since at the moment, I'm a non-runner, I gave all my winter running clothes to Mini Fort who is using them for rowing. (This negated a proposed shopping spree where she apparently anticipated spending "jillions" of dollars.) Right now, she's rowing in the bow pair with Fort Son's GF on the varsity 8, which is good because our HS has excellent girl rowers (4 of whom placed 1st in various events at the Mid-Atlantic Champs). Mini is by far the smallest rower at 5'4" and one of only 2 lightweights on that boat (assuming she stays there). When her group was taking their boat to the water, her pair said "I hate you at this moment" because she can't really help carry the boat. hahaha

And it looks like Mr Fort and I will be taking Fort Son up to Dartmouth the weekend of May 7-8 to meet and practice with the team. Should be exciting for him, and I think he'll be staying with a freshman. I'm hoping the weather will be pleasant, though Mr. Fort said that when he rowed there in May, it snowed. Noooo. I'm officially over winter.

Going to the gym and to ART tomorrow. I'm going to focus primarily on upper body work and lighten the weight because I am a wuss.

Updated February 23rd, 2011 at 06:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Tuesday, Feb. 22

by , February 22nd, 2011 at 07:01 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up/Transition:

600 various

5 x 100 free @ 1:45, just cruisin'

8 x 50 various drills, including "human" drill

50 EZ

Speed Work:

ATP-CP 25s:
    10 x 25 burst @ 1:00
    -- I can't do these as a true burst because I'm not pushing off with full ferocity yet.

50 EZ

4 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ) @ 5:00

Went:
    back shooter, high 22
    fly, 25
    back shooter, 23
    breast, 31

-- These were awful. I was battling cramps the whole way. One of the slowest 50 sets I've done.

Total: 2650

Hottub, 20 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I must have a trap door shut on part of my brain because I don't seem to be thinking clearly about the order of my workouts. In retrospect, I should have done a recovery workout today and a speed workout tomorrow. My legs were heavy and very tired from the long dryland-bike + 3,000 kicking the last 2 days. But I guess there is some merit in sprinting when you're tired? I don't usually prefer this method, but I'm going to pretend there is for peace of mind.

And, having consulted my handy dandy month view FLOG, I see that I've done 4 weeks of weights without a recovery week and I'm into week 5. That recovery week I took in January after 3 hard weeks was great, and I swam faster than ever during it and after. I feel like I'm starting to build up some training fatigue now. Looking ahead, I think I will just muddle through this week with one more dryland session and yoga and then shut it all down for 3 weeks while I taper for the Albatross meet. I hate tapering because of my cardio addiction, but I can't say I miss the gym (+ attendant soreness and lactic acid) too much until utter taper boredom sets in.

I really need to stretch tonight. We'll see if I can summon up the requisite energy.

I have decided to swim the following events at my next few meets. Or, I should say, I'm going to sign up for these events, with the possibility of scratching one each meet. Will sign up for Warrenton tonight.

Warrenton, 3/6:

100 fly
    50 fly
    100 IM

Albatross, 3/19:

50 back
    100 back
    200 back
    50 fly

Zones, 4/16

100 free (50 split)
    50 breast
    100 back
    50 fly
    400 medley relay
    200 free relay

-- I think I've only swum 6 events in a single day once in my life, at a Zones meet a couple years ago.

Updated February 22nd, 2011 at 09:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Virtual Holiday 5K Club, Mon., Feb. 21

by , February 21st, 2011 at 06:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Since I had a relatively free afternoon, I decided to join the bloggers' Virtual Holiday 5K club along with Bobinator, Gigi, Swimsuit Addict and Celestial. My goal was to complete an aerobic workout with some quality that was not junk yardage. Think I accomplished that! I didn't really follow their skeleton workout, but did do the requisite 4 x "500s" in my own sprinterly way.

Swim/SCY/Virtual Club:

Warm up:

alternate 100 swim/100 kick

200 fly drills

24 x 25 shooters
    8 back
    8 twirling
    8 belly

50 EZ

Main Sets:

5 x 200 backstroke kick @ 3:00

-- At least 5 SDKs off walls, more on first wall.

50 EZ

4 x ("500s" + 50 EZ) done as:

1. 20 x "25s" no fins -- in 12 foot depth, dolphin kick to bottom of pool, squat jump off bottom and dolphin kick to top fast and as high as possible

2. 20 x 25 no fins
    odds = backstroke start and power kick to the 15 (15 kicks) + easy backstroke kick

-- My first few backstroke starts sucked, and my goggles flew up. Then I realized I was getting a poor entry b/c I was bending my knees too
    much.

3. 10 x (25 easy speed fly @ 100 pace + 25 EZ) @ 1:00

4. 10 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = russian breast drill
    evens = easy flutter kick w/board

5 x (25 "human" drill + 25 EZ) @ 1:30

150 EZ

Total: 5100/2900 kick

Commentary:

Wow, 5K is not so horrible when you're not crunched for time and can work on things of your choice. Much better, for me, than just cranking out short rest stuff. Also, as I've been feeling somewhat out of sync in the water for awhile, it was nice to stay in longer and work on feel and technique. For the most part, my foot was still encased in fins, though it is feeling better and less swollen. Tomorrow I will be back to swimming half this amount and, hopefully, if the legs aren't completely shot, can do some speed work. I really need to stop avoiding freestyle; it feels awful right now from disuse.

Thanks ladies for the virtual inspiration and company! Having met you all before made it very cool. For Swimsuit Addict's sake, I did not wear my usual black suit, but opted for my light blue Nike suit. No patterns in my swim wardrobe, I'm afraid.

I forgot to do my flog for a few days, so had to catch up. I am kicking *ss on my very conservative GTD goal of 325 miles. However, I am sure I will drop way back at taper time. I have been keeping track of my kicking and race pace work on my FLOG. I just went over the 30,000 mark in kicking with 32,875 after today. Race pace work (90-100%) is at 8,225.

I caught last the 45 minutes of Lil Fort's swim practice tonight. I almost never watch as I do the drop off portion of the drive in our carpool. They were doing a lot of dolphin kicking underwater and a lot of one arm fly into 6 kicks underwater, then up and go with the other arm. They also did underwater free recovery (aka doggy paddle drill) completely submerged. In contrast to their "dolphin" drills, they call this one "human," which made me chuckle.

I felt sorry for Mini Fort. Her first day of crew out on the water was miserable -- low 40s, windy and raining.

Updated February 21st, 2011 at 10:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Saturday, Feb. 19

by , February 19th, 2011 at 11:42 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various

Main Sets:

20 x 25 shooters
    10 on back, 10 on belly

50 EZ

20 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly
    evens = EZ

50 EZ

3 x w/fins:

50 easy speed breast w/dolphin kick @ 1:00
    50 fast dolphin kick w/board @ 1:00 (went 26+s)
    50 EZ @ 1:15
    25 fast shooter + 25 EZ @ 1:00

50 EZ

5 x through, no fins:

100 backstroke kick @ 1:45
    25 fast breast pull w/buoy + 25 EZ @ 1:15
    25 burst + 25 EZ

200 EZ

Total: 3850

Commentary:

After I checked my schedule last night, I realized I couldn't go to my team practice b/c of a conflict with Lil Fort's soccer game. So I braved the noodlers, lap swimmers and lifeguard trainees at the rec center in the afternoon. It wasn't too bad actually, and I had a lane to myself for the majority of the practice. I'm still feeling out of sorts in the water (and on land), but am hoping this will soon subside.

Not even going to try to get up tomorrow, as I've been out late with friends and just picked Mini up after returning home from States. There was some drama there. A very fast sprinter got deeked in the 100 free in prelims for double capping. I'm puzzled by this. Is this some odd high school rule b/c it's legal (I thought) in USAS and masters? It was appealed, but to no avail. And the winner of the 50 free was deeked for twitching on the start.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Friday, Feb. 18

by , February 18th, 2011 at 03:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ OakMarr w/Speedo:

Warm up:

900-1000 various

Main Sets:

10 x 50 moderate @ 1:00

10 x 25 @ whatever interval Speedo was doing
    8 burst
    2 fast shooters

300 EZ

Total: 2050

Commentary:

For a person of at least moderately sporadic intelligent, I had an off day yesterday. Trying to be efficient, I scheduled my somewhat anemic body for blood work (lots of vials) and PRP (more blood draws) on the same day. I made it worse by forgetting to take iron and having some wine last night. Result: woke up completely flattened with no energy. So, as Speedo notes in his blog, I was NOT ready for any timed efforts. I kind of slogged through this workout next to Mr. Flutter Kick and Jazz Cullen Jones. Hopefully, I can show up next week to give Pete some competition.

The PRP is going reasonably well given the diagnosis (tenosynovitis + arthritis). After the second treatment, there was some noticeable improvement/less pain on the outer part of my big toe. So this time the doc really focused on the inner part. It always takes a few days to ramp up the swimming after PRP. I was doing one foot push offs today, so the 25s suited me just fine.

I'm hoping I feel up to going to my team practice tomorrow to get in some basic aerobic work while my foot calms down.

Still need to sign up for the Warrenton meet, but I can't decide what to swim. https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1481&smid=2767. I wish 100 fly were later in the morning.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Wed., Feb. 16

by , February 16th, 2011 at 04:53 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Pure recovery day --

Gym:

20 minutes ellipse, warm up pace

20-25 minutes RC exercises

broomstick twists and dislocations

Swim/SCM/Solo:

30 minute slow continuous swim

10 minutes hottub

Commentary:

Felt flattened from the long day of drylands and the deep tissue. Decided to take a pure recovery day. These days are just ungodly boring, but they seem to be necessary for me to recover and they curb my natural impulse to overtrain. Tomorrow is an off day with appointments and errands and hopefully I'll be ready to kick Speedo's butt on Friday.

Updated February 16th, 2011 at 06:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Ellipse Machine
  10. Monday, Feb. 14

by , February 14th, 2011 at 06:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

5 x 150 free @ 2:30
    -- Concentrated on kicking on my back off the flip turns. Not sure if this is a good strategy for the 50 free as it takes a few tenths to make the 180 degree turn to the stomach. But this may work for the 100 free (which I might swim later this year!)

10 x "25s" done in 12 foot depth as:
    dolphin kick to bottom of pool, squat jump off bottom dolphin kicking as fast and high as possible. 10 seconds rest at wall.

4 x 50s w/fins, done as:
    10 second speed kick at the wall right into fast 25 fly w/1 breath + 25 EZ + 15 seconds rest

50 EZ

4 x 150 backstroke @ 2:30
    -- Concentrated on 6 beat kicking. I'm concerned I may be 4 beat kicking on my 100s backs, so am focusing on this.

10 x "25s" same as above

4 x 50 w/fins, done as:
    10 second speed kick at wall right into fast 25 backstroke shooter + 25 EZ + 15 seconds rest

50 EZ

3 x 150 russian breast drill w/fins @ 2:45
    -- Concentrating on EVF on pull.

10 x "25s" same as above

4 x 50s w/fins, done as:
    10 second speed kick at wall right into fast 25 shooter on belly + 25 EZ + 15 seconds rest

100 EZ

Total: 4050

Commentary:

I seem to be ever so gradually getting better. Felt really tired when I first got in the water so I tried to jazz up the workout with some fun sprinty type things interspersed with aerobic work. I really hope getting a cold now somehow correlates to being healthy in March when I have a couple meets.

Though today should have been my rest day, it works better for my schedule for that to happen on Wednesday, so I'm going to hit the gym tomorrow. I also have a massage booked for tomorrow, which I think my legs will appreciate. Though I did make it through today's workout without cramping!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Sunday, Feb. 13

by , February 13th, 2011 at 10:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Blogging from my iPad during the Grammies.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Speed Work:

5 x 50, done as:
    1st 25 = dolphin kick UW with board halfway down pool, jump squat off bottom and sprint kick to wall
    2nd 25 = easy

5 x 50, done as:
    1st 25 = fast heads up free with dolphin kick*
    2nd 25 = easy

5 x 50, done as:
    1st 25: fly @ 100 pace
    2nd 25: easy

50 EZ

10 x (25 fast w/fins + 50 easy)
    2 free, 2 breast, 2 back shooter, 2 fly shooter, 2 free
    -- Tried to do these AFAP, but they were probably more like 95% because I was being cautious of people in my lane on some of them.

50 EZ

* This drill is designed to build rhythm and work the core. Not sure it's the best drill for me because it may reemphasize my tendency to bounce when sprinting free.

Aerobic Set:

12 x 100, done as:
    4 x 100 back kick w/fins @ 1:30
    4 x 100 breast @ 2:00
    -- long streamlines and glides left me breathless. evil is hard.
    4 x 100 flutter kick w/ board & fins @ 1:30

100 EZ

Total: 3650

Commentary:

Slept in, as the malaise cold is still lingering. Legs were sore from drylands. Left for the pool around 4:00 hoping to avoid lifeguard classes and lessons. The pool was thankfully cooler than usual and I managed to have half a lane the whole time. I was kicked out of the deep end when a high school crew team arrived to do their water testing. Sure hope they're never in danger of drowning.

It's been a fairly joyless week of working out. However, I'm glad that I could at least mostly train through this ailment (unlike last time in December). Still got in 5x swim (though one was very short), 2x bike/ellipse and 2x drylands. Only had one good stretching session though, and I can feel it.

Updated February 13th, 2011 at 10:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Friday, Feb. 11

by , February 11th, 2011 at 04:43 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 10 kick twirling shooters w/fins

Main Sets:

10 x 50 backstroke kick shooters w/fins @ 1:00

50 EZ

4 x 50 fly @ 1:00
    50 scull
    4 x 50 back @ 1:00
    50 scull
    4 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    50 scull
    4 50 free @ 1:00

50 EZ

10 x 50 backstroke kick shooters w/fins @ 1:00

100 EZ

Total: 3100/1450 kicking

Commentary:

I woke up this morning feeling worse instead of better. I nonetheless decided to suck it up and go swim at GMU in case I succumbed completely over the weekend. Fortunately, I feel somewhat better after swimming. After yesterday's speed set and in light of the regression, I just did an aerobic/hypoxic workout. Still very glad I went!

Should be a pretty easy weekend -- not too many sporting activities. Just Valentine's Day -- another of the many stupid contrived holidays. I would happily skip it, but Mr. Fort is more traditional.

Hoping I can get to the gym tomorrow. My calves are really sore though. I'm slightly worried that their predominant muscle memory is cramping.

Updated February 11th, 2011 at 05:08 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Thursday, Feb. 11

by , February 10th, 2011 at 04:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters

4 x 25, burst 15 + cruise

50 EZ

Speed Set:

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 EZ) @ 5:00

Did them all backstroke kick shooters. Went high 22-23 on all of them.

100 EZ

Total: 1950

Commentary:

Today, it was Mini Fort's turn to come home from school sick. However, that did give me a chance to sneak out for an hour while she watched Lil Fort. I felt awful in the water, not surprising since (except for 1500 easy) I hadn't been in the pool since Sunday and I'm still somewhat under the weather. I had planned to do one of Chris' sets from his blog entry this am, but I didn't feel up to sustained aerobic work. I opted instead for the only thing that feels natural when I feel horrible: backstroke kick. A few bursts of speed seemed easier than a harder workout. And I was pleased that my times weren't terribly slow.

I took a closer look at and tried the Finis Foil Monofin during the warm up shooters today. Verdict: hate it. It's essentially two floppy fins welded together. I hate floppy fins, really don't see the point. I vastly prefer stiffer fins and the fiberglass Shooter fin. Lacking any real resistance, floppy fins don't seem to assist in honing a tight streamline, building leg/core strength, or working on speed. I held my regular fins up to the MF. The MF is the exact same width as two fins and it's only about 1 inch longer. Definitely not worth almost double the price of regular fins. I'm sending mine back (the medium was too large anyway) and possibly exchanging it for a Shooter since I still haven't found mine.

May hop on the bike again later. Or not. Nope, won't.

Updated February 10th, 2011 at 07:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Tuesday, Feb. 8

by , February 8th, 2011 at 04:37 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

bicycles, 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    standing single arm press on double cable machine, 35 x 2 x 10 each arm
    lower back machine, 120 x 2 x 15
    seated lat pulldown, 100 x 2 x 10
    explosive leg press, 230 x 2 x 10
    box jumps, 10
    reverse scoops, 15

RC work, 15 minutes

Swim/SCM/Solo:

30 minute easy swim
    around 1500 meters

Commentary:

This is my 5th day struggling with a cold and nausea. What I thought was food contamination last week seems like a bug. Took yesterday off (a rest day was due anyway), and had to drag myself to the gym today.

Canadian Nationals:

Information for Canadian Nationals is out:

http://www.cmsc2011.ca/cmsc2011.pdf

I don't think I'd stay for Monday. I'd probably opt for:

Friday: 50 back, 100 fly
    Saturday: 50 fly, 100 free for 50 split (maybe the 200 back or 100 breast to keep my options open)
    Sunday: 50 breast, 100 back, and 100 IM

Quite remarkable that the 50 back is first rather than last! It doesn't say on the meet info whether they will measure the pool and whether times will be submitted to USMS. I will email the meet director, though I know the PV TT guru, Mr. Roddin, can submit my times if the pool is measured.

Recovery & Regneration:

http://www.facebook.com/mastertheshi...22134447813895

This reminds me I need to do more with the foam roller and stick.

Foil MF:

Got my foil MF. Even though I am definitely a size small according to the sizing chart, the medium I ordered doesn't seem that big. I have a wide foot, and I'm worried that a small might be too tight. I might just be between sizes on this product. Or I may try some fin socks with it. It does seem fairly floppy, so I'm not yet convinced it is much better than two fins.

Updated February 8th, 2011 at 09:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  15. Swim @ GMU, Sunday, Feb. 6

by , February 6th, 2011 at 02:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Warm up:

Assigned:

500 swim
    400 kick
    300 pull
    200 drill
    100 scull

Did:

900 various

8 x 25 shooters

Freestyle Pace Set:

Assigned:

24 x 100 freestyle (swim or pull), done as:

8 x 100 @ 1:35
    8 x 100 @ 1:30
    8 x 100 @ 1:25

Did:

Shared a lane with Barb, fellow backstroker. We decided to do backstroke with fins. She did all 24 100s; I did 16 before sprinter ADD kicked in.

8 x 100 back w/fins @ 1:35
    -- Cruised 1:07-08s. Felt super smooth and glidey today.

8 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:30
    -- Cruised 1:06s

50 EZ

8 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    -- work on technique and streamlining

50 EZ

Speed Set:

24 x 25 w/fins @ :30
    2 easy, 1 fast
    -- did all the fast ones fly, went 11s

200 EZ

Total: 4000

Hottub, 20 minutes

Commentary:

I made it out of bed on time to get to my Sunday masters practice. Our beloved coach Cheryl is vacationing in Florida. So her hubby Peter (GMU coach) gave us the workout. I walked in and read it and told him he missed the memo that Sunday was stroke and sprint day. Instead, we had a long pace freestyle set, , which delighted the triathletes and open water swimmers. I mulled over what to do with said set during warm up, but ended up doing most of it figuring it was good for my 100 back and I wouldn't do it OMO. It actually felt fairly effortless (at the time, tired now).

Heard in the hottub that the GMU pool will be closed June & possibly all of July so that the failing air handler system can be replaced. There are no masters practice in August under the new policy. So that about kills LC season for me. Too bad, as I can typically train with my team during the week much more in the summer. This development has caused me to revise my thinking about attending Auburn Nats. I'll be gone 2 weeks in June on vacation and won't have a LC pool to practice in before or after. Doesn't seem to make sense to travel for days to a national meet with no LC practice ... I may just stay and do our local Zones meet, which is typically at the end of August instead.

Week totals:

5x swim, 2x yoga, 2x drylands
    Forgot to take a rest day this week.

Getting a damn cold ...

Updated February 6th, 2011 at 10:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Kinda Fast Friday, Feb. 4

by , February 4th, 2011 at 09:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Last night was not one of my better nights. After a lovely evening with my girls, during which we dined on Chipolte because I was too lazy to cook, I had a minor case of vomit-itis. Not sure if it was due to Welsford's spewing or food contamination, but I was up hurling between 3-4:00 am. Decidedly unfun. I slept in and woke up feeling just slightly queasy. So I ingested as many electrolytes as one can and headed to GMU for a noon workout. I had planned a sprint workout and ended up modifying my intended set somewhat to accommodate my delicate stomach.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

odds = free
    evens = backstroke kick

4 x 50 @ whatevah
    15 burst dolphin kick + cruise

50 EZ

Speed Set:

3 x through w/fins:

1 x 25 AFAP
    1 x 25 EZ
    1 x 50 AFAP
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 75 @ 90%
    1 x 75 EZ
    4 x 50 backstroke kicks @ 1:00 recovery

Ideally, I would have added 1 x 100 fast + 1 x 100 EZ. But I didn't have enough HTFU in me today for that.

1st round: backstroke kick
    25 = 10
    50 = 22
    75 = 39

2nd round: fly
    25 = 11
    50 = 24
    75 = high 41-42

3rd round: breast
    25 = 14
    50 = 30
    75 = horrible calf cramp, so went slowly after the 25

Hypoxic Technique Set:

4 x (5 x 25) shooters
    belly, left side, right side, back, twirling

-- worked on streamling and DPK

50 EZ

Total: 3400/1650 kicking

Commentary:

I was extremely glad that I took the time to drive to GMU. The water was cool and clear, there were no noodlers or children in sight, and digital clocks abounded. Very few people were in the pool. Brilliant! The workout generally went better than I anticipated, and I was glad to get 'er done.

I spent the night at the prelims of the girls HS Regional meet. Mini Fort was happy to get a States cut (though she's still off her club times, as one would expect). Road trip to Virginia Beach! There were some exceedingly fast times swum. A freshman and sophomore went 23.4 and 23.7 in the 50 free respectively in tanks. The same freshman went 55 in the 100 back. And it's just prelims! Finals will be fun to watch tomorrow night.

Not sure what I will do tomorrow. Mr. Fort jut left for an event in NY. (And, unfortunately, he has a minor hamstring pull after a speed workout and will not be running for a week (though he can bike)). I may try to go to yoga if I can get one of my kids to watch Lil Fort.

Updated February 4th, 2011 at 09:58 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  17. Thursday, Feb. 3

by , February 3rd, 2011 at 06:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Didn't have much time, so lifted for strength.

cable twist w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side
    total ab machine, 130 x 2 x 15
    dead lift, 115 x 1 x 5, 135 x 2 x 5
    leg press, 390 x 2 x 10
    skull crushers, 50 x 2 x 10
    seated narrow grip row, 110 x 2 x 5
    extreme angle isometric squat w/12.5 DB, 5:00

RC work, 10 minutes

Ate a protein fusion bar and headed to the pool for an hour.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Aerobic Kick Mountain w/fins:
    (1800 yards)

1 x 50 @ :45
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 250 @ 3:45
    1 x 300 @ 4:30
    1 x 250 @ 3:45
    1 x 200 @ 3:00
    1 x 150 @ 2:15
    1 x 100 @ 1:30
    1 x 50 @ :45

Went up the mountain dolphin kick w/board and down the mountain backstroke kick (5 SDKs per length). I didn't get as much rest as I would have with the MF.

50 EZ

ATP-CP Speed Set:

10 x 25 free @ 1:00
    15 burst + cruise

100 EZ

Tried to do one AFAP 50 but got a double calf cramp right away and stopped.

100 EZ

Total: 2950

ART, 30 minutes

Had my chiro work over my left shoulder, scapular area and calves. Opted for the blue KT this time.

Commentary:

Did a rare aerobic set today. Plan to do some speed work tomorrow.

A friend alerted me to the fact that the Finis Foil Monofin is sized differently from Finis' other fins. I had reflexively ordered a medium, as that was what my shooter was and there was no sizing info for the Foil on their website. But, apparently, after discussions with Finis, I need a small, so will need to return the one that they mailed on Monday. (It sure took them a long time to mail it given that I ordered it quite awhile ago.) So I probably won't have it for another couple weeks at least.

Small = 7.5-9
    Medium = 9-11

Updated February 3rd, 2011 at 06:15 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  18. LT Misery, Tuesday, Feb. 1

by , February 1st, 2011 at 04:08 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various
    5 x 50 breast @ 1:00
    50 EZ
    5 x 50, done as 15 burst dolphin kick + cruise
    50 EZ

Lactate Tolerance Set:

10 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00
    hold best average

Went: 24 low, 25, 25.5., 25.5, 25.5, 25.5, 26.0, 26.5, 26.0, 25.5

500 EZ

Total: 2400

10 minutes hottub

Commentary:

This lactate tolerance set is from Maglischio's Swimming Faster. I hadn't done this set in over a year (Oct. 2009). Last time I did it, I held 27.5s, but I did that after a drylands workout. Today, I was obviously much faster. I guess my kicking has improved in the last year, or been aided by the addition of the nose clip. The first one felt easy and I was surprised at the time. Then the lactic acid promptly hit on #2. Thought I was going to hurl after the last one. This set -- any lactate set really -- is extremely hard to do solo. This one is especially hard for me because it combines speed + a hypoxic element because I'm underwater so much. At least this one is only 10 minutes of hell. Didn't feel like doing anything else afterward.

Saw an interesting article in the WSJ -- "A Workout Ate My Marriage" --
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...share_facebook.

I have to confess that Mr. Fort and I seem to see much less of each other on weekends than we used to since he went back to marathon training and century bike rides and I became a more serious swimmer. But at least we're both exercising and competing now so there's not the resentment that arises when only one spouse is exercising. When my kids were young and up early, I did used to get slightly ticked when he was gone running every single morning.

And for parents of teenagers considering college in the future, check out: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/. I read some of threads last fall, and they scared the crap out of me!

I may go to bikram yoga tonight. Haven't decided yet. Will edit my blog if I do.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Test Sets
  19. It's a Wrap for January, Jan. 31

by , January 31st, 2011 at 07:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

Just did a Rich A. slow mo recovery swim with fins:

700 various

10 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = backstroke
    evens = backstroke kick

odds = breast
    evens = free

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2200 meters

Commentary:

I may have gone a wee bit crazy with drylands yesterday. Oddly, I thought it was a leg dominant workout, but my shoulders and back are much more sore (despite getting a mini massage from Mr. Fort). I guess med ball slamming and handstanding is a better upper body workout that what I've been doing in the gym? Anyhoo, I thought it best just to do a Rich A. slow mo type recovery workout to help flush lactic acid. We are expecting a wintery mix tonight. I just hope this doesn't foil my plans to HTFU and get in a sprint workout tomorrow.

Monthly FLOG Totals:

Swimming, 20x
    31.68 miles/55,764 yards
    17,525 yards kicking (31%)
    4,525 yard race pace(8%)*

Weights, 8x
    Cycling, 1x
    Yoga, 10x

Total workouts = 39

* I define race pace to be between 90-100%, which would be my 50 or 100 pace. So these are all close to all out efforts.

This was a very solid month of training for me. I swam 4-5 times per week, which is my max, of fairly low yardage. If I swim more than that, I am not mentally sharp enough for AFAP efforts and some burnout sets in. I did many doubles (12) and took 1 day off each week. That's definitely the most yoga I've done in a month. 8x isn't too bad for drylands since I intentionally took one week off.

One more month of hard training, and then I plan to taper in March.

Upcoming Spring Meets/Tentative Events:

Warrenton Meet SCY, 3/6
    (cruising in late for some speed work off the blocks)
    100 breast (50 split)
    100 IM

Albatross Meet SCM, 3/19
    50 back
    100 back
    200 back (if needed)
    50 fly

Colonies Zones SCY, 4/16
    100 free (50 split)
    100 back
    50 fly
    2 chick relays

Canadian Nats SCM, 5/20-22
    possibility, still waiting for meet info
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , Planning
  20. Sunday Double, Jan. 30

by , January 30th, 2011 at 06:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 90 minutes:

Decided to do my most of my workout today in the very large room usually reserved for exercise classes. It was empty. I therefore eschewed the heavy weights (no machines in this room) and did a functional core & plyo based workout, which was quite fun.

Broomstick twists, 25
    bicycles on bosu, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    reverse crunch w/yoga ball, 2 x 25
    V ups with med ball, 2 x 15
    hip hinges w/10 lb DBs on Reebok core trainer, 10 each leg (much harder than on the floor)
    one arm pull ins with 15 lb DBs in straight arm plank position, keep body as still as possible, 2 x 25
    walking lunges w/15 lb DBs, 2 x 25

suspended reverse plank isometric, 2 x 1:00 (one with hands in pull up grip and one with hands in chin up grip)
    extreme angle isometric squat, 5:00
    camel isometric, 1:00
    handstand isometric, 2 x 1:00

overhead squats w/25 lb broomstick, 25
    squat jumps w/broomstick, 10
    alternating squat & squat jump w/broomstick, 20
    plow position + roll up to tuck squat jump, 2 x 10

10 handstands
    10 walkovers

med ball slams in racquetball court, 10:00 (floor slams, wall slams, twisting slams, start slams, single arm slams, etc.)

RC Work, 10-15 minutes

Ate an energy bar and headed to the pool ...

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Technique Day -- nothing but 25s

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

8 x 25 russian breast drill with fins

8 x 25 fly w/fins @ 100 pace @ 1:00

8 x 25 backstroke hesitation drill

8 x 25 free w/overkick

8 x 25 chest press fly

20 x 25 shooters w/MF

-- Used the long competitor MF today. I think I have to retire this one. The blade is so long (over a foor) that it places too much stress on the injured part of my toe/foot. I compensated by working on DPS and kicking from the chest down. 9 kicks per length on back or belly; 10 kicks per length on side. Tried to do a couple of these fast, but immediately got cramps, so desisted. Still waiting impatiently for my Finis Foil MF.

100 dolphin dive

Total: 2200

10 minutes hottub

Commentary:

I originally had intended to go to my team practice this am. But I didn't get home from the high school district champs until 11:00 pm, which meant I went to bed after 1:00 am. So I just got up too late. Decided to do some functional dryland training and technique work for a change. I suspect I'm going to be just as sore from this body weight workout as I usually am from heavier weights.

Mini Fort did pretty well at her swim meet, advancing to Regionals next weekend. Fort Son did very well at the Mid-Atlantic erg championships, and qualified to compete in the CRASH Sprints in Boston on Feb. 20. http://www.crash-b.org/. Problem is he's over 18 and born after X date and so can't compete in the 18 & U junior division, where (as a high school kid) he really belongs. The Open division will have Olympians and Ivy rowers, who would squash him like a bug. Mr. Fort opted out of the half marathon race because of the snow on the course and instead did a 24 mile run with his training partner. They meant to go 20, but miscalculated the distance. Geez.

Updated February 1st, 2011 at 07:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories