View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Friday, April 15

by , April 15th, 2011 at 02:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM/Solo:

1000 easy
    5-6 bursts + cruise
    2 fast free flip turns (hadn't done one since NE Champs)
    100 EZ

My silicone nose clip fell off today whilst bursting, so I am worried that it is too loose for me.

ART, 30 minutes:

I initially had my ART appt set for yesterday. But, in an act of sure love, I surrendered the appointment to Mr. Fort so that he could get his hamstring worked on. This act of love was rewarded when I got a call late in the afternoon that there was a cancellation for today at 11:30. My upper and mid back were somewhat tight as usual without bikram.

A few interesting conversation notes:

1. A big pasta dinner the night before is not the way to go for serious endurance sports. You're more likely to bonk. Same concept was in Bicycling Magazine recently: http://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...-lies?page=0,0.

2. Elite runners are now experimenting with not icing their injuries -- sort of their own version of prolotherapy. The downside of this is that inflammation can cause a lot of tightening, so my ART doc does not advice it.

3. Go ahead and skip stretching -- he thinks he'll have more business.

4. Allergy meds -- he says his elite runners are taking their Claritin D at night. D at night?!

Commentary:

After another night of "free running sleep," I woke up refreshed and with my usual energy. Mr. Fort, in a returning act of kindness, got up early with Lil Fort to get her off to Girls on the Run while I snoozed. As the article yesterday noted, the "free running sleep" concept -- go to sleep when tired and wake up without an alarm -- does result initially in some excess sleeping. I fell asleep at the outrageously early hour of 11:30 pm and didn't awaken until 8:30 am, with a brief jolt at 6:30 when the high schoolers were noisily readying for school.

I am now off to make spaghetti & meatballs for the crew dinner and then grill steaks for Jimslie. Unfortunately, I'm going to miss a soccer game and Fort Son and Mini Fort's regatta. Fort Son and the other 3 lightweights were put in their own 4 after complaints. But since they're the team's best rowers, the coach put them in the heavyweight 4. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. There's still a bias against lightweights (not as prestigious) in the HS rowing community. I'm glad he won't have to put up with this BS at Dartmouth, which has a great lightweight team this year.

It is refreshing to feel completely calm before the meet after my last meet. Ready for lactate Saturday:

50 free
    200 mixed medley (back)
    50 breast
    100 back
    400 medley relay (fly)
    200 free relay

Must fill out the split request form: http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/gto...it_request.pdf

Updated April 15th, 2011 at 03:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  2. Thursday, April 14

by , April 14th, 2011 at 06:22 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

800 various

6 x 50 shooters

50 EZ

2 x 50 w/burst

1 x fast 25 back kick + 25 EZ

2 x 50 w/burst

100 EZ

Total: 1350

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I wish I felt jittery like Speedo (though I never do on a few days rest). I woke up this am after some "free running sleep" (see below) and still felt like death. No idea why; I'm not sick. I did feel better this afternoon after swimming. Or maybe it was the shopping spree. :-)

Article on sleep from Q:

http://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleep.htm#Free

There are some interesting myth busters in there. And apparently there is no such thing as early birds and night owls.

Is meat good for you?

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/for...nnon-weighs-in
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Wed., April 13

by , April 13th, 2011 at 06:17 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCM @ Gym:

700 various

20 x 25 shooters w/fins
    10 back, 10 belly

50 EZ

8 X 50
    15 burst + cruise

100 EZ

Total: 1750 meters

Didn't think I would get in a swim today. I left late this am for a swim/errands/appt. However, when I arrived at the pool, I realized I had forgotten my suit. I was bailed out by Mini Fort who was home this afternoon because the crew trainer told her to rest her shin splints. (She got them from rowing in the bow seat.) So she watched Lil Fort and her friend while I got in a quick swim at the gym.

Unfortunately, I felt pretty dreadful. Just tired and lethargic. Last time I took a recovery week (before the Warrenton meet), I felt energized. Hoping that feeling will materialize in the next couple days. I also took the opportunity to try out my new nose clips. Since my fav (speedo competition clip) is no longer available on swimoutlet.com, I purchased the speedo silicone clip and the TYR clip. The silicone clip was fine. The TYR clip was a disaster -- way too big. This clip must be made for aged noodlers with extra big honkers. I just ordered this one to try next because I like the low profile feature: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/22104.htm.

Heat sheets for Zones are up: http://www.patriotmasters.org/coloni...ults/index.htm. I have no lane assignments to complain about.

Top 10 Foods for Athletes:

http://www.active.com/women/Articles...m?cmp=17-1-471
    (can't say I'm overly fond of a few of these ...)

Updated April 13th, 2011 at 06:44 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Tuesday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2011 at 04:25 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

5 x 100 backstroke kick, no fins @ 2:15
    25 kick with arms shoulder width apart + 25 kick with arms in streamline + 25 kick with arms shoulder width apart + 15 power kick UW + cruise
    -- Sadly, I can no longer do shooters on my back without a nose clip. I just bleed air. After the first couple, I kicked on my side and that was better.

50 EZ

5 x 50 w/fins @ whatevah
    15 burst dolphin kick+ cruise

100 EZ

2 x 50 dolphin kick on belly w/fins, broken 10 seconds at 25 (went 32s)
    100 EZ after each

50 EZ

Total: 1950

Commentary:

Got a massage after swimming today. Hope that will help me feel better in a couple days.

I got an email today notifying me that I had been named the Potomac Valley Female Masters Swimmer of the Year for 2009-10. I'm very honored. Awards are given out at 9:50 am before Zones starts on Saturday. I will have to don my tech suit speedy quick after warm up -- which won't be too difficult since I'm wearing a very old kneeskin. I'm in an early heat of the 100 free starting at 10:00 (doing a split request).

As for my events, after mulling it over, I'm going to cruise through the 50 breast just to score points for my team. I don't want to be too tired for the 100 back, which is my 4th event.

Psych sheets: http://www.patriotmasters.org/coloni...ults/index.htm

Timeline: http://www.patriotmasters.org/2011.C...d.Timeline.pdf

It looks like I'll have only a couple minutes rest after my 100 fly in the 400 medley relay before I lead off the 200 free relay. Brutal torture! I wish we had a short break before and between relays.

Updated April 12th, 2011 at 07:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Monday, April 11

by , April 11th, 2011 at 03:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

Main Sets:

20 x 25
    odds = dolphin shooter on belly w/fins
    evens = EZ

10 x 50 @ 1:15
    odds = 25 easy speed fly +25 EZ
    evens = breast

50 EZ

6 x 50 dolphin kick burst + cruise
    odds = belly
    evens = back

50 EZ

2 x (25 AFAP free + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

3 x 50 dolphin kick burst + cruise

100 EZ

Total: 2600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I had been planning to do a bit more today and then really ease off starting Wednesday. But I was feeling tired from 3 weeks of hard training and very little sleep over the weekend. So it appears I'll be resting 5 days. Probably doesn't matter too much either way.

I was somewhat aggravated to find today that I had somehow lost my last nose clip yesterday. I had to alter my workout. I just hope my new shipment of nose clips arrives in the next couple days as it is supposed to.

Swimming the 3 days after Zones looks like it ain't happening. Many places are closed on Patriots Day and my schedule is very tight. I'm going to have to content myself with the hotel pool and fitness room. I'm staying at the Marriott Copley Place, and it doesn't look horrible. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel...-copley-place/. I just wish I had a chance for a recovery swim after what is sure to feel like a lactate workout with 6 events.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Sunday, April 10

by , April 10th, 2011 at 03:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    @ Gym:

15-20 minutes of RC exercises

30 minutes stretching:
    -- dynamic stretching, broomstick ([nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4c95kosHes"]YouTube - Shoulder Rotational Stretch, Dynamic Flexibility Exercise[/nomedia]), static stretching

@ SCM Pool:

30 minutes slow swim
    10 x 25 shooters
    100 EZ

20 minutes in hottub

Commentary:

Snuck in a recovery workout between today's activities. I'm actually looking forward to a recovery week as well. And I'm super busy this week, so eliminating the gym will free up some time.

I'm very proud of my Lil Fort. Today was her first running race -- a local 5K to benefit her elementary school. Very good turnout and Mr. Fort's training partner got schooled by a marine to his dismay. I was slightly worried because it was hilly course, but she was undaunted. She came in at 27:30 and was the fastest 14&U girl. She had too much in the tank at the end because she sprinted the last 1/3 mile or so. Now she's all fired up for her 5K in Boston next Sunday. Mr. Fort, on the other hand, is battling a hamstring problem again. He hasn't run for a week (but done hard biking), so he's hoping he can actually make it through the marathon.

And speaking of Boston, I've got to find a place to swim. I finally focused on my travel schedule, and I'm gone from Saturday evening to Tuesday afternoon. I don't think I'll have any time to swim until late Monday afternoon with our busy schedule. But I have to get in the water sometime while I'm there!

Updated April 11th, 2011 at 11:15 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  7. Blocks! Friday, April 8

by , April 8th, 2011 at 04:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/Solo @ Mason:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

8 x 100 @ :15 RI
    odds = backstoke kick
    evens = free

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    1st 25 = 1 breath free w/overkick*
    2nd 25 =EZ backstroke kick

* Finally, remembered to drag out my Finis 2 zoomer fins for this set: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1650&bih=953. I've been meaning to use these for a faster turnover and faster kick in free. Like them better than the long blade fins for fast free. Dislike them for kicking or swimming on my back though, probably because of the way they're designed.

5 x 50 torque drill @ 15 RI

50 EZ

Starts: 15 x "60s":

6-7 backstroke starts + power kick to 15 (@ around 100 pace) + 15 cruise back to block

8-9 forward starts + power dolphin kick to 15 (@ 100 pace) + 15 cruise back to block

50 EZ

5 x 50 shooters w/fins @ 1:15

100 EZ

Total: 3600

Hottub, 20 minutes -- Mason's hottub is so much better than the rec center's.

Commentary:

I was psyched to see that the blocks were installed in the lap swimming area today! Usually they're not on Fridays. I was too tired to work on starts last night, so had at it today. My first few forward starts were terrible. Then I realized I wasn't getting the hands overlapped and thumb around hand until I was in the water. When I corrected this problem, I had a better streamline and cleaner entry. Fiddling around with how far to pull up on my backstroke start.

Another busy weekend coming at me with soccer, regatta (these are almost all day events) and 5K. Lil Fort and Mr. Fort are running the 5K together. And spectating that will cause me to miss my team's Sunday am practice. Dang. But I don't want to miss Lil Fort's first 5K and, in any event, that would cause too much mommy guilt. I'm a tad sore from yesterday's dryland palooza, so will probably take tomorrow off as usual and hope to fit in a stretching session.

I entered and paid for Canadian Nats. Technical difficulties from misspelling my name. lol. For their meet, you can change your entries and seed times up to the deadline. This is probably not a good thing for me as I tend to fret over these two items. Trying to get over this bad habit ...

Updated April 8th, 2011 at 05:21 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Thursday, April 7

by , April 7th, 2011 at 10:16 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 90 minutes:

RC exercises, 15-20 minutes
    flutter kicks on bosu, 4 x 50
    V ups w/broomstick, 2 x 15
    extreme angle isometric squat w/25 plate, 5:00
    overhead squats, 55 x 1 x 10, 65 x 1 x 10
    (it occurred to me that I should finally put some weight on the bar)
    extreme angle step ups, 40 x 1 x 10
    squat jumps w/45 lb bar, 2 x 10
    yates row, 50 + bar x 2 x 15
    lower back machine, 130 x 3 x 10
    box jumps, 2 x 10
    altitude drops, 2 x 10*
    knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
    seated narrow grip row negatives, 90 x 2 x 10
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    -- move to racquetball court --
    handstands, 10
    twisting med ball slams, 15
    reverse overhead throws, 15
    overhead floor slams, 15

* Love this exercise, so fun. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob5VdXO1vcs"]YouTube - Altitude drops[/nomedia]. Since I was using a single box, I jumped up high and then dropped. I may try stacking them next time. And altitude drops are a great eccentric exercise. http://boddickerperformance.com/?p=1135. Depth jumps also look fun: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FZM29fV1oc"]YouTube - Depth Jump - Rebounds[/nomedia].

Stretching, 30 minutes:

30 minutes using foam roller, stretching and some yoga.

Swim/SCY @ GMU:

Swam in a lane with Gustavo. Cheryl had workouts for distance folk and for 100/200 folk. I did the latter, naturally.

Warm up:

300 free
    300 kick
    300 non free

200 kick
    200 IM drill
    200 kick

Main Sets:

(used fins)

4 x 50 @ 1:00 descend
    -- Did back, descended to 26-27. Did not have any AFAP, so ended up at about 80-85%. These felt much harder than they should have.
    200 EZ

4 x 50 @ 1:00 200 pace
    -- These were supposed to be @ :50, but since Gustavo was doing breast, I happily did them @ 1:00. Did them all free, low 29s, breathing every stroke as I theorize that I would do in a 200 free.
    200 EZ

4 x 50 @ 1:00 descend
    -- Opted to alternate fast-easy instead. Went 26s in fly, felt dreadful.
    200 EZ

4 x 25 @ 1:00
    -- 2 back shooters (10s), 2 belly shooters (11s)
    -- These were pretty fast for me. In fact, that's about what I went when I was doing 25s @ 3:00 the other day with Pete.
    200 EZ

Total: 3300

Commentary:

I believe I got a little carried away in the gym today ... I've been feeling very energetic lately, so thought I'd try a long dryland session especially since I didn't have to scurry off to the pool in time to be home for Lil Fort. And I felt great during and after. Not so great in the water however. Still, good to get some speed work in. I am now running off to find my compression tights and ibuprofen.

Updated April 7th, 2011 at 11:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  9. Wed., April 6

by , April 6th, 2011 at 05:05 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

3 x (4 x 100) @ 15 RI
    reverse IM: free, breast drill, back drill, fly drill

50 EZ

Total: 1950

Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes:

Heat still hard. Had to and missed one set of triangle pose.

Commentary:

Followed the arrow on Q's flow chart, and did both a recovery swim and yoga today. The swim was all in zone 1; the yoga was zone 2 and sometimes 3. I feel much better now than last night when I sat on the couch but did not eat potato chips. (I was horrified recently to see how many calories were in a bag of kettle chips.) I am planning on doing drylands tomorrow and then going to my team practice at night. That will be my last dryland session before Zones, and I am due for a recovery week anyway. So good timing.

The crew council president is meeting with parents of the lightweight rowers tonight before they meet next week and issue findings. I am sending Mr. Fort, who was an elite lightweight rower at Cornell to fight the good fight. I am slightly worried about my son's blood pressure at the moment. On the other hand, Mini Fort seems to be adjusting well to crew and enjoying it. She's a lightweight too and I hope she doesn't have this problem in the future.

Haven't done my flog in April yet. Need to catch up.

Going off booze to avoid injury:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226033428699

The importance of snacking:

http://www.athleticfoodie.com/2011/0...cking/#dispdet
    (Please note Geek that GWG puts flax seeds in his smoothie.)

Updated April 6th, 2011 at 07:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  10. Sunday, April 3

by , April 3rd, 2011 at 05:40 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC exercises
    V ups with broomstick, 2 x 15
    hanging straight leg raise, 15
    back extensions w/DB, 20
    lower back machine, 130 x 2 x 10
    extreme angle step ups w/20 lb DBs, 10
    extreme angle isometric squat w/10 lb DB, 5:00
    explosive leg press, 230 x 2 x 10
    box jumps, 10
    depth drops, 10
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    handstand isometric, 1:00
    handstands, 10
    twisting med ball slams. 15
    overhead med ball slams, 15

Swim/SCM/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Main Sets:

20 x 50 @ 1:00-1:10
    1-4 = fly drill
    5-8 = back drill (false lift)
    9-12 = breast drill
    13-16 = free with paddles
    17-20 = shooters (15 under on left side & 15 under on right side)

50 EZ

10 x 25 twirling shooters w/fins

50 EZ

10 x 25 torque drill
    4 with paddles, 6 without
    -- great speed drill

100 EZ

Total: 2550 meters

Commentary:

Had a lovely day yesterday. Sat in the cold through rain and hail at a regatta and then sat for a couple hours in an oppressively hot and humid pool. And after all that I slept like crap last night. Hmm ...

Did random non-routine drylands today. Actually, there is some method to my madness. I'm trying to focus even more on explosive weights and lots of plyos. I spent the rest of the day at the oppressive pool, but my Lil Fort was happy to drop a lot of time in her 50 breast and 50 fly.

Now I am forcing my teens to babysit while I go out to dinner with friends. Sweating in 110 degree heat and sipping coconut water tomorrow.
  11. Thursday, March 31

by , March 31st, 2011 at 05:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Speedo:

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters

100 free
    150 scull

Main Sets:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
    5 kick, 5 swim

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP
    -- did flutter kick w/board & fins
    -- went high 25

100 EZ

6 x 25 @ 1:00
    - 12.5 burst, 12.5 easy
    - all dolphin kick on belly w/fns

50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP
    -- did shooter on belly w/fins, broken 5 seconds at the 25
    -- 11+ & 12+

150 EZ

6 x 25 @ 1:00
    -- 12.5 burst, 12.5 easy
    -- 4 dolphin kick on belly w/parachute & fins
    -- 2 dolphin kick on back

100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP
    -- did dolphin kick w/fins & board
    -- went 25 high
    -- I considered skipping this one, but Pete told me not to "rest on my laurels." So I was guilted into it. Thank you, training partner.

100 EZ

Total: 2300

ART, 30 minutes

Got worked over and am now covered with pink kinesio tape. That was my "stretching" for the day.

Commentary:

I had really been thinking that I needed a recovery day after speed workouts on Monday and Wednesday, but I didn't feel too bad in warm up. So I opted for more speed, and tried to work my dolphin kick on the belly. And it was probably a wise idea to get that in before ART. Definitely a recovery swim tomorrow. And I should probably hit the gym ...

March totals:

swim: 25x (way above average due to tapering), 30.4 mile
    weights: 3x (way below average due to tapering)
    yoga: 13x (9 hours --pretty good since I didn't go to bikram while tapering)
    ART 2x

Updated March 31st, 2011 at 06:01 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Wednesday, March 30

by , March 30th, 2011 at 08:07 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 65 minutes:

No weights (except the bar) or machines -- just as hard though!

rotator cuff exercises
    flutter kicks on bosu, 4 x 50
    power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
    power wheel pike ups, 3 x 10
    long arm crunches, 2 x 50
    inverse row w/elevated feet, 3 x 10
    overhead squats, 45 x 2 x 10
    squat jumps with bar, 45 x 2 x 10
    P90X mary katherine lunges, 3 x 10*
    twisting med ball slams, 2 x 10
    med ball floor slams, 2 x 10

* Named after Molly Shannon's deranged, armpit-sniffing Catholic schoolgirl character on SNL, this involves doing a forward lunge and then leaping straight up and landing in the opposite lunge position.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

650 various

10 x 25 shooters
    odds = back
    evens = belly

10 x 25
    odds = easy speed fly (felt dreadful)
    evens =EZ

Speed work:

5 x 10 second AFAP vertical dolphin kick w/fins and med ball, holding med ball in streamline position overhead @ 1:00

100 EZ

5 x 50 dolphin kick w/board @ 1:15
    25 AFAP, 25 EZ

100 EZ

5 x 50 @ 1:30
    25 AFAP free w/fins (trying to hold head still)
    25EZ

100 EZ

4 x 50, 15 burst + 35 cruise
    2 back spin drill, 2 fast doggy paddle drill

100 EZ

Total: 2250

Hottub, 20-25 minutes

-- I was chatting with Cage Fighter the whole time. He is still training with the FISH, but doing more sprint work. He may compete at Zones. He chatted with Kate Ziegler over winter break and she told him she was training quite differently with FAST. Lots of fast 50 and fast 100s in addition to the usual mid-D and D pace work. We also chatted about a former buddy of Fort Son's who was recruited to swim at Columbia, got up there in the fall and promptly quit: burnout from Ray Beneke's program.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I am a little off my usual weekly micro cycle, having done yoga on Tuesday and anaerobic dryland + speed work today. That's fine, but I won't be able to rip it up tomorrow with Speedo. I contemplated doing the 10 x 50 @ 1:00 lactate set today, but decided no. I'm just too sore and tired from ramping it up after taper so quickly. Must do one soon. Or I'll really be lazy sprinter.

Fort Son got his official acceptance letter on line today!

Updated March 30th, 2011 at 10:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  13. Sprint Kick Workout, Monday, March 28

by , March 28th, 2011 at 04:15 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

Kick Sets:

20 x 25 easy speed shooters
    1-10 on back
    11-20 on belly

50 EZ

3 x through:
    2 x 100 kick w/fins @ 2:00 + 50 EZ
    -- each 25, dolphin kick with board to bottom of pool (12 foot deep) in streamline position, stop midway, surface and easy flutter kick to wall
    -- it's really not that easy to kick down that far with a board

50 EZ

6 x through:
    standing broad jump from side of pool into water + 10 seconds fast eggbeater kick + "25" dive to bottom of pool & squat jump off bottom

50 EZ

6 x (25 fast dolphin kick shooter w/fins & parachute + 25 EZ)
    -- 3 on back, 3 on belly
    -- these are not that easy either; "fast" describes the effort more than the action

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP dolphin kick shooter w/fins + 25 EZ)
    -- 3 on back, 3 on belly

50 EZ

3 x (25 fast back shooter from blocks, no fins + 25 EZ)
    -- was supposed to do 3 on belly, but was cramping

300 EZ

Total: 3200/2300 kick

Stretching, 30 minutes

Commentary:

My upper body is still sore from apparently overdoing it last Friday. More sore than my legs which I hit yesterday. So I did a kick workout, which I quite liked. Didn't look at the clock much; just took as much rest as I felt like. Sprint kick workouts are fairly exhausting.

I usually do a weights + sprint combo on Tuesdays, but may do weights and yoga tomorrow.

I may revise my tentative meet schedule. It's going to be rather expensive to attend Canadian Nationals (and we have a lot of family jaunts this year), so I may be forced to cancel Auburn Nationals this year. The timing is a little dicey anyway since it is only 5 weeks after I get back
    from a 2 week vacation. I'm hoping we will have our local LC meet at the end of August as usual. (If not, I'll have to find some LC meet -- any suggestions?) After Canadian Nationals, I think my next real focus meet will be the Sprint Classic in October. Hoping to take aim at the SCY backstroke records there. If I don't get to Nationals this year, I hope to get to both SCY and LCM nationals next year. I can even drive to Greensboro -- first time ever for a national meet.

Updated March 29th, 2011 at 10:34 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  14. Sat & Sun, March 26-27

by , March 27th, 2011 at 08:11 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday:

My off day. Hit the gym briefly for:

RC Exercises, 15 minutes

Stretching/Yoga/Foam Roller, 40 minutes

Sunday:

Drylands:

RC exercises (3 way arm extensions, external rotators, seated straight arm dips)

extreme angle step up w/DBs, 40 x 2 x 10

-- Use a high box, create an extreme lunge with only toe on the ground and step up. The high box recruits the glute more than a traditional low box step up.
    -- I plan on adding explosive steps ups to my list of plyo exercises: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwzB6xuZ9o"]YouTube - TFW Explosive Box Step Up[/nomedia]

total ab machine, 120 x 2 x 15
    lower back machine, 120 x 2 x 15
    back extensions, 25 x 2 x 15
    reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
    explosive leg extensions, 60 x 2 x 10
    front power squat, 180 x 1 x 15
    squat jumps w/bar, 45 x 2 x 10
    lateral bunny hops over bench, 25
    (didn't do another set b/c this bothered by foot)

Swim/SCM/Solo:

30 minute slow continuous swim

Commentary:

Yikes -- my upper body has been sore all weekend from Friday's drylands. Probably should have started at lower weight on some exercises ... But I always feel that if I'm going to be sore anyway, it might as well be for a good reason. And I don't have any time to waste if I'm going to re-taper somewhat for Canadian Nationals. Felt pretty dreadful in the water today a a result. I hate the soreness that comes after solid 3 week taper.

Updated March 27th, 2011 at 08:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  15. Swim w/Speedy Speedo, Thursday, March 24

by , March 24th, 2011 at 04:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Speedo @ Oak Marr:

Warm up:

1 x butt dive

600 various

Transition:
    (while Pete warmed up)

10 x 25 shooters w/fins

4 x 25 overkick free

6 x 25 burst dolphin kick

Main Sets:

8 x 50 kick (no fins) @ 1:00

50 EZ

4 x 25 burst free @ 1:00
    2 x 25 burst free w/parachute
    4 x 25 underwater torque drill (love this quasi plyo drill)

125 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP back shooter w/fins for time, 22 high-23 (11 at the feet)

75 EZ

2 x 25 burst w/parachute
    2 x 25 fast w/parachute (one breast, one dolphin kick on back)
    -- doing that last one kick gave me the idea to do "parachute shooters"
    2 x 25 parachute shooters

50 EZ
    (no time to warm down)

Total: 2250

Commentary:

As Speedo noted, I am enamored! With a new toy: the parachute. This is a resistance toy designed to strengthen swim muscles and improve power and speed. It has been sitting in my closet since Christmas and I finally dragged it out. (The snorkel is still there gathering dust.) At least, I was enamored during the workout; I'm pretty beat right now from the resistance sprints. I think doing too many of them would be hard on the shoulders. But I am quite intrigued with the shooter application. Speedo looked at me in horror when this idea dawned on me. Aside from bursts and fast 25s, another chute set I've seen is: 4 x 50: 1/3 Kick; 1/3 Scull; 1/3 Swim. Anyone have any others?

Everything is sore again since I'm back to the grind. Really need to stretch tonight, but I think I'll save it for the gym tomorrow so I can sit on the couch instead.

Updated March 24th, 2011 at 10:04 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Wednesday, March 23

by , March 23rd, 2011 at 06:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only grabbed a short swim workout. I arrived and the pool was closed -- probably due to a kid or noodler. So I had to wait a bit before diving in.

Warm up:

700 various

Aerobic Kick:

10 x 100 w/fins @ 1:30
    odds = back kick (work on perfect streamline)
    evens = dolphin kick w/board

50 EZ

Burst Dolphin Kick:

10 x "25s" Squat Jumps @ :30
    -- Use fins. Dive down to the bottom of the pool (I was in 12 foot depth), get into a deep squat, jump off bottom of pool and fast SDK up to top, swimsuit should clear the water.
    -- this is a Salo set

50 EZ

10 x 25 @ :45
    burst dolphin kick shooter on belly + cruise
    -- started these @ :30, but it wasn't enough rest for really fast bursts

50 EZ

5 x 50 @ 1:15
    1st 25: With fins and kickboard, kick down to bottom of pool mid-way. Squat jump off bottom and then sprint dolphin kick to the end.
    2nd 25: EZ
    -- another Salo set

100 EZ

Total: 2700/1725 kick

Hot Yoga, 90 minutes

Ventured to hot yoga directly after the swim. I was extremely thankful not to have one of the heat nazi instructors who max out the heat. I was also happy to survive the class without bolting out the door. The 1:00 single leg balancing poses were, uh, challenging after 4 weeks off from yoga. These require consistent practice.

Commentary:

I'm still feel a little wired & tired. Maybe the hot yoga will help me sleep better tonight. Hamstrings are predictably sore from drylands.

I'm a Tip!

I felt very honored that Ande created a tip for me today: "Build a Fortress of Speed and Strength." I've been reading and applying his tips for years. I remember the SFF thread and the Ask Ande thread helped me immensely when I first started masters swimming. And I still have my own copy of the SFF tips that Ande gave me at Austin in 2008. My favorite SFF tips are: 1, 2, 3, 5, 29, 31, 60, 71, 113, 129, 165, 188. Probably my absolute favorite is the "rage to master" tip -- #60. I also like # 135 -- The Formula for Faster Kicking," but had to disregard the advice to "stop using fins." Fins work -- scientifically proven!

Index to SFF: [ame="http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=237620&postcount=1588"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster[/ame]

Updated March 23rd, 2011 at 07:26 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  17. Back to the Grind, Tuesday, March 22

by , March 22nd, 2011 at 04:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

RC work, 15 minutes
    hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
    flutter kicks on bosu, 2 x 50
    long arm crunches, 2 x 25
    total ab machine, 110 x 2 x 25
    lower back machine, 110 x 2 x 25
    extreme angle isometric squat, 5:00
    goblet squat, 60 x 2 x 15
    explosive leg press, 190 x 2 x 10
    hip abductors, 100 x 2 x 10
    box jumps 2 x 10

Stretching, 15 minutes

Swim/SC/Solo @ Gym:

Warm up:

650 various

Main Sets:

8 x 50 @ 1:05
    2 x IM order, drill
    (nemo drill, hesitation drill, russian breast drill and human drill)

8 x 100 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:50
    10 SDKs each length
    --with fins, that puts me at about 17-18 meters

50 EZ

8 x 50 @ 1:30
    dolphin kick shooter on belly w/ fins
    --broken at the 25 with 5 seconds rest
    --work the upkick

100 EZ

Total: 2400 meters/1400 kick

Commentary:

I headed back to the gym today after a 3 week absence during taper. My shoulders are still somewhat sore, so I focused on leg and core work. Also didn't feel quite up to speed work in the pool yet. So I did another recovery/hypoxic workout. I could really use some sleep; I haven't slept well since the meet.

I have a crazy busy week and weekend. This weekend -- 2 indoor soccers games, a swim meet, a regatta, a volleyball tournament, and Mr. Fort is supposed to have 2 races (National half marathon and his trail race). Something has got to give! Poor Fort Son is not even sure what boat he's rowing in this weekend. The head coach and the crew council are in conflict over what to do with the 4 varsity lightweight boys. I wrote my letter to the council on the matter, and I just hope logic will prevail.

Updated March 22nd, 2011 at 09:33 PM by The Fortress

Categories
  18. Recovery Swim, March 21

by , March 21st, 2011 at 07:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

10 x 25 shooters

Main Set:

3 x 100 fly drill @ 2:00
    6 x 50 dolphin kick w/board @ :50
    6 x 25 shooters on belly

3 x 100 back drill @ 2:00
    6 x 50 backstroke kick @ :45
    6 x 25 shooters on back

3 x 100 breast drill @ 2:00
    6 x 50 russian breast drill @ 1:00
    6 x 25 long underwater breast pulls + front scull

3 x 100 free @ 1:45
    6 x 50 flutter kick w/board @ :45
    6 x 25 flutter kick shooters

100 EZ

Total: 3950/2250 kick

Stretching, 20 minutes

Commentary:

Just did an easy aerobic/hypoxic workout today for recovery. I did not get a chance to swim on Sunday after the meet and had pretty sore shoulders today. (Wore fins for the entire practice.) Need to the back to the grind tomorrow. Tentatively planning on the gym and hot yoga. I fear after a month off from yoga, the 90 minute session could be rather difficult.

Canadian Nationals:

I am very excited that SwimStud also may go to Canadian Nationals!!!

Meet packet:

http://www.cmsc2011.ca/

8 individual events are allowed
    Unlike USMS Nats, heats are not segregated by age

Right now, I'm thinking I will swim Friday-Sunday and skip Monday. I'm leaning toward entering:

FridayPM:

200 IM (50 fly split)
    100 fly

Saturday:

50 fly
    100 breast (50 split)
    100 free

Sunday:

200 free (50 split)(50 free is on Monday -- no great time to swim it)
    100 back
    100 IM

-- My only gripe is that the 100 IM is last. On the other hand, I'm glad that the fly events are early in the meet.

Updated April 5th, 2011 at 09:49 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Friday, March 18

by , March 18th, 2011 at 07:00 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY @ Oak Marr:

Just floated around chatting with Jazz and Speedo.

Probably did about 1000 with a few bursts and some shooters.

Felt smooth.

Commentary:

I still haven't decided exactly what events to swim tomorrow. The problem is that I am unhappy being in the final predominantly boy heat of the 50 back in the shallow end of the pool. Yes, I know I'm whiney, but we women don't like swimming with men because of all the turbulence and waves and I hate shallow. I also notice this turbulence more with the kneeskins than tech suits. So I either HTFU and swim the open 50 back in an undesirable heat or scratch it and do a split request on my 100 back (not in the final heat). That would mean giving up a 100 back time, but then I would be more rested for my 50 fly. I guess I should decide fairly soon ... I'm leaning toward just swimming it and smack talking with the boys. My buddy, Nuthin But 50s, is seeded right next to me.

Mr. Fort says more chances are better. But, then, he is a non-swimming boy. I do think its unfortunate that the fast women often get crappy lanes at mixed gender meets.

Jimslie is arriving soon and I'm sure has prepared a speech supporting his view.

Watching Junior Nationals and NCAAs.

Article on gluten sensitivity:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...en+sensitivity

Updated March 18th, 2011 at 10:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Thursday, March 17

by , March 17th, 2011 at 03:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

650 various

Shooters, no fins:

25 back shooter
    25 EZ
    25 belly shooter
    25 EZ
    25 back shooter
    25 EZ
    25 belly shooter
    25 EZ

15 power dolphin kick + cruise
    50 EZ
    25 fast doggy paddle
    50 EZ
    25 fast back kick
    50 EZ

200 EZ

Total: 1300

Hottub, 10 minutes

Stretching, 20 minutes

ART, 40 minutes

So glad I had an ART appt scheduled for today, as my neck has still feeling horrible this am. And I needed some body work. My left shoulder has been feeling creaky too, which seems to happen when I stop lifting for taper. I'm trying out a new pillow, the Tempur-Pedic side pillow for people who sleep on their side. I think my old pillow has been messing up my neck. Well, and it doesn't help that I toss and turn a lot.

Commentary:

Didn't feel quite as good in the water as yesterday. Still jittery. I had a couple ask if I was a free diver today. I've had other people ask me that in the past. I guess I have an alternative sport if masters swimming ever gets dull or I just can't take tapering any longer.

I am not happy about my 50 back time being re-seeded without my permission, when other times were not. Now, I'm in the last place I want to be: the fast guy heat in the shallow end. That is not exactly how I envisioned swimming this particular race ... and it's hard to believe it will produce my fastest time. I should probably have chosen a non-mixed meet to taper for. Lesson learned!

I will definitely re-swim this event once or twice at Canadian Nationals. Just sent an email to the meet managers asking them about USMS submssion and measuring the pool.

Updated March 18th, 2011 at 12:28 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts