View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 05:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI
    10 x 25 DPK shooters @ :40
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    5 x 50 @ 1:30
    25 EZ speed free + 25 EZ @ 1:30
    -- went high 11 to high 12s
    50 EZ
    4 x 50 dolphin burst + cruise @ 1:30
    50 EZ

Total: 1800

ART, 30 min

Had my chiro work on my calves, which were still cramping on the shooters (though not thereafter). Dunno, maybe my electrolytes are messed up this week. Have been slamming some today.

Acupuncture, 45 min:

This was my second session. I figure I'll try it 2x a week for 4 weeks and see if it helps. I'm not expecting it to do anything for my labrum, of course. But it might help bring blood flow to the other injured/sore areas of the shoulder and scapula. And provide some pain relief. It seems like a good combo with PRP. Speaking of which, my chiro mentioned that he understands that the second session of PRP is the worse in terms of sensitivity and pain. Oh joy, I can look forward to that after nationals.

Stretching/Rehab, 30 min

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend. I spent a huge amount of time today on pain prevention ... I really hope one day soon I wake up pain free.

More importantly, how much is one supposed to fork over for a prom dress?

Attached is a pic of Fort Son's boat, the First Freshman 8. My son has some seriously styling boots.

Psych sheets for Colonies Zones:
    http://www.patriotmasters.org/Coloni...ults/index.htm

Updated April 12th, 2012 at 09:56 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	559613_10150745395367389_620177388_9327649_1397999451_n.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	6818  
  2. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 05:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    50 EZ
    50 EZ

ART, 30 min

Had my chiro work on my calves, which were still cramping on the shooters (though not thereafter). Dunno, maybe my electrolytes are messed up this week. Have been slamming some today.

Acupuncture:

This was my second session. I figure I'll try it 2x a week for 4 weeks and see if it helps. I'm not expecting it to do anything for my labrum, of course. But it might help bring blood flow to the other injured/sore areas of the shoulder and scapula. And provide some pain relief. It seems like a good combo with PRP. Speaking of which, my chiro mentioned that he understands that the second session of PRP is the worse in terms of sensitivity and pain. Oh joy, I can look forward to that after nationals.

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend.

Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  3. Thursday, April 12

by , April 12th, 2012 at 05:02 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:
    -- used fins

600 various
    -- 5 back, 5 belly
    50 EZ
    50 EZ
    50 EZ

ART, 30 min

Acupuncture, 45 min:

Glad I only did a mini instead of a hard speed workout yesterday. After some relative rest and a decent night's sleep, I feel better today. Though I'm hoping for one more night of good sleep since I probably won't be racking up sleep hours this weekend.

Do Ice Baths Work, Part II:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...k-part-ii.html
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  4. Wed., April 11

by , April 11th, 2012 at 04:41 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    6 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :40
    5 x 50 breast @ 1:05
    50 EZ
    10 x 25
    odds = easy speed free @ :30
    evens = EZ
    50 EZ
    8 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    150 EZ

Total: 2100

Still feel kinda blah in the water. And had calf cramps for the third day in a row. I'm heading off for a massage shortly, so hopefully that will work out some of the kinks.

A friend sent me this link today:
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...zine/30261.asp. I'm very honored to be a runner up. A friend asked "Who is Lynn Marshall and do we need a lead pipe?'' lol. I replied that she is very speedy and swims a zillion events, unlike moi.

I learned last night that Fort Son finally got a diagnosis after many many tests and feeling bad for almost 4 months: celiac disease. It certainly fits his symptoms and I'm cross with myself that I didn't think of it. I couldn't sleep last night due to worrying. I'm glad the hematologist he was seeing for low ferritin thought to test for it. I fed ex'd him a care package of gluten free goodies. He is bummed, but was getting very depressed about a lack of diagnosis and feeling like he was letting his teammates down. So knowing what is wrong is preferable. This is a real pita for a college student. No beer and pizza?! From what I can glean, he was doing well in my fairly gluten free kitchen, but the excess gluten + beverages at college may have been a tipping point. I already have appointments for my daughters to be tested next week.

On Friday, Mr. Fort is heading up to Boston for marathon weekend. He has been nursing some nagging injuries as well and is looking forward to cycling when it's over. He will get to see Fort Son's boat/team race Harvard on Saturday, Lil Fort is racing in the Boston 5K on Sunday and then Mr. Fort runs on Monday with his training partner. I am missing all that fun, but having fun with Jimby, SwimStud and Chicken of the Sea who arrive on Friday afternoon. I'll go out to Mason to watch them swim the distances events. I am heading up to Hanover to see my son the weekend after Nationals for parents weekend. I haven't seen him since Xmas since he was with his team on a training trip over spring break. I really miss him.

I really really need some sleep. That would likely zap the blahs.

Updated April 11th, 2012 at 04:48 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Tuesday, April 10

by , April 10th, 2012 at 04:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    6 x 50 fly drills
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins
    16 x 50 w/fins @ 1:00
    odds = back
    evens = breast
    100 scull
    100 EZ

Total: 2150

Stretching/Yoga/Rehab, 45 min

Had nothing in the pool today. Legs felt really heavy. I had 5 vials of blood taken right before the workout, which didn't help. And my 8:00 pm speed workout last night was too close to this one, I fear. Or else the dread allergies are taking over ...

But no big deal -- Il Garbagio was on the menu anyway! Will sprint some tomorrow and then just cruise for a couple days for Zones. Or I may just cruise tomorrow too; my body is screaming for recovery. Plenty of speed work to be had over the weekend.

There are 443 swimmers entered in Zones with the entry deadline tonight. Looks like I'm at my usual 33% rate for end lanes. I considered reverse sandbagging the 100 breast, but I wasn't sure I'd go faster than my current seed time. At least at Nationals where they seed by age group, I won't be in an end lane.

I was notified that I was PV Female Swimmer of Year in meters, which is pretty cool.

Updated April 10th, 2012 at 08:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Yoga
  6. Monday, April 9

by , April 9th, 2012 at 10:04 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Saturday:

Off, as usual.

Sunday:

Pool & Gym closed.
    Did 45+ minutes of rehab, stretching and yoga

Monday:

Nighttime Swim/SCM @ Gym:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 50 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    4 x 100 back/breast @ 2:00
    50 EZ

Speed Work:
    -- with fins

10 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    50 EZ

16 x 25
    odds = EZ speed free, emphasize kick
    evens = EZ
    -- couldn't see the pace clock from one end. did these as 50s on about 1:30
    50 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP breast
    -- 31ish
    -- mega calf cramp
    100 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ) @ lots of rest

100 EZ

Total: 2650 meters

Had a long drive back from Pittsburgh. Couldn't leave until after lunch and ran smack into rush hour traffic. I got home just in time to drive swim team carpool. Went to my gym while Lil Fort was there. I was super lucky to get a lane and the pool was 84 instead of 86. So I got more in than the stretch out swim I had expected. Everything felt very cranky during the car ride, but better after the swim. Had quite a few calf cramps during the workout, but I have a long overdue magnesium injection on Wed. I'm also doing a body work trifecta this week to try to speed healing of the shoulder/neck or at least manage it through Nats -- acupuncture, massage and ART. I am still hoping to go to Omaha in July. But I'm going to punt any definitive decision and purchasing of plane tickets until mid May. May looks to be a crazy month; I'm traveling every weekend. Speaking of that, I need sleep! I sleep like crap when I travel.

Updated April 9th, 2012 at 10:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  7. Friday IG, April 6

by , April 6th, 2012 at 05:54 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/w/Jimby:

20 x 50 @ :55

10 x (75 EZ + :10 RI + 25 fast) @ 2:00
    -- I did nothing fast
    -- most was breast-back kick-breast-back kick (no backstroke flgs at one end)

8 x 50 kick @ 1:20
    -- supposed to be 25 hard + 25 EZ
    -- I just did easy kick

10 x 50 EZ @ :55

Total: 2900

Rehab/stretching, 40 min

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I should definitely not have done a speed workout yesterday. That was 3 between Mon-Thurs. My left side is barking at me some now. Planning to take the weekend off anyway. But it could be kind of a sideways or recovery week this week if it doesn't feel better, which hopefully it will. I have had a vey hard three weeks of training since the Albatross meet. Need to taper; glad it's here!

Updated April 6th, 2012 at 09:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Thursday, April 5

by , April 5th, 2012 at 03:24 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    5 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI

Speed Sets:

125 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    1 = breast, 12 high
    2 = free, 10 low
    3-4 = shooters, 8 high-9 flat
    50 EZ

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 150 EZ) @ 5:00
    1 = fly, 22 low to mid
    2 = fly back, 23 low
    3 = breast, 27 mid
    4 = dolphin kick w/board, 23 high-24 flat
    5 = flutter kick w/board, 24 mid
    25 EZ

Total: 2900

I would have preferred to have done Garbagio today and speed tomorrow. But I will be at the Sewickley Y tomorrow around lunch and fear I would not be able to get in a quality workout. So today it was, despite the fatigue. My times were actually very good. Long drive up to Pittsburgh now.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Tuesday, April 3

by , April 3rd, 2012 at 04:55 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters @ :40ish
    5 x 50 fly @ whatever

-- lots of chatting with Speedo who had arrived earlier

Speed Sets:

100 EZ

-- Was slightly worried about my planned timed efforts as I could feel the fatigue from yesterday's hard speed work and was cramping a bit on the bursts. Went ahead anyway and did better than I thought I would.

1 x 100 AFAP fly w/fins, 52 high
    -- Fin was falling off on the 3rd 25. Had to stop and make an adjustment at the turn. This pissed me off and cost a lot of time. So I decided to do another.
    250 EZ

1 x 100 AFAP fly w/fins, 51 high
    250 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP breast dophin w/fins, 27 mid
    200 EZ

Total: 2350

ART, 35 min

Doc was impressed I had recovered quickly from the PRP. The neck is still somewhat tender, probably more nerves there I guess.

In retrospect, I should have flip flopped my Monday and Tuesday workouts. I was really feeling yesterday's effort and the quads were burning. Still, those are definitely the fastest 100 flys I've done in practice by a good margin. I'm not sure, but I think my previous best was a 54. Even if you add a whopping 15 seconds or so for fins (which seems very generous), that second one would convert to a 1:06 from a push. I went 1:03.1 the only time I swam it last year. In general, I've been doing a lot of practice PRs since January.

Signed up for Zones with seed times from the last time I swam the events. Decided not to bother with the 100 free. Will do the 200 relays. Hoping to get a 50 free split on one of the free relays. Maybe the girl's relay on Saturday.

Swim Meet Events
    Event
    Number Gender Distance Stroke Time Date
    23 Female 50 SCY Fly 0:26.79 04/14/2012
    33 Female 100 SCY IM 1:04.10 04/15/2012
    43 Female 100 SCY Breast 1:15.90 04/15/2012
    Categories
    Swim Workouts , ART
  10. Monday, April 2

by , April 2nd, 2012 at 04:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

550 various
    15 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI
    8 x 25 belly shooters w/fins @ :40
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

100 EZ

100 EZ

3 x (AFAP double shooter w/MF + 150 EZ)
    -- 18 high, 18 high, 19 flat

8 x 25 fast BA @ 1:00
    -- flutter kick w/fins
    -- 10 highs-11 lows
    100 EZ

8 x 25 breast dolphin w/fins fast BA @ 1:00
    -- 12 high-23 lows
    200 EZ

Total: 3550

Forgot that the pool would be full of scores of classes and kids. Did manage to score a solo lane in the deep end for the AFAP 50s with the monofin, but that was it. Will likely go to Oak Marr the rest of the week; there are more lanes there. I can't do sh*t in 4-5 foot deep lanes.

Still waffling on Zones entries. As I told chowmi, the key thing is not to swim so many events that I'm exhausted for a few days afterward. And I have little interest in a lactate workout that close to nationals. I will do 4 relays -- the 200 mixed medley, 200 womens medley, 200 mixed free, 200 womens free. I'm inclined to enter: 100 free (may scratch or cruise), 50 fly (too fun to miss with lots of fast chicks and chowmi), 100 IM (focus event) and 100 breast (for fun). There will likely be some 90% efforts involved. I wish I had more rest before 100 breast ... I had thought about doing a split request in the 200 breast, but that's next to the 50 fly.

Estimated timeline: http://www.patriotmasters.org/2012.C...d.Timeline.pdf

I'll do 30 minutes of rehab and stretching later.

Note: Mr. Fort recently read (I think in a bike mag) that compression pants have been shown to help runners (eccentric movement), but not bikers (concentric movement) despite all bikers thinking they do.

Updated April 2nd, 2012 at 08:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. IG/MRI/PRP, Friday, March 30

by , March 30th, 2012 at 04:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters @ :40
    10 x 25 breast w/wiffle ball @ :40
    50 EZ
    10 x 25 caterpillar fly drill @ :15 RI
    5 x 100 (50 free/25 scull/25 back kick) @:15 RI
    6 x 25 long breast pullouts
    50 EZ

Total: 2100

Just did an IG recovery workout in about 50 minutes before rushing to the doctor's office. Good thing I didn't listen to Faux Dr. Thornton and his ignore shoulder pain/forego MRI advice! I was most frustrated by his failure to pay attention to the facts of my particular situation, instead just espousing his general theories. It's been 4+ months and every conservative measure failed to work. Anyway, the MRIs showed a labral tear in the left shoulder in the exact area where I have been experiencing pain and some tendinopathy. I also have degenerative discs (DDD) and arthritis in my neck. One disc is bulging and may be causing nerve damage. I have an EMG next Friday to hopefully rule that out. This may sound worse than it is. Everyone my age is going to have some degeneration and arthritis. If I had continued to ignore the pain, I could potentially have made the labral tear more severe and/or herniated a disc in my neck or worsened the disc damage. The labral tear is not surgical right now. I opted for image guided PRP (platelet rich plasma injections) in the shoulder, scapular and neck. PRP is used for all 3 conditions -- labral tears, arthritis and DDD. PRP should help to stabilize the neck and halt progress of the DDD. And hopefully keep me more pain free. I've been having periodic localized upper scapular pain off and on for years. It never occurred to me that it was a neck problem rather than a shoulder problem. This is just another good reason to carry on with my no distance free policy! I have another PRP appointment set up for right after Nationals. The labral tear makes me a bit leery ... But odds are nothing worse will happen before Nationals, and I have gotten one treatment in. Really looking forward to taper this time to reduce the AFAP work. I was not happy to hear this news, but at least I know I wasn't imagining the nature or origin of the pain or exaggerating symptoms. My doctor said I should not have waited so long to seek treatment and that I have a rather high pain tolerance. Feeling kind of sore from all the injections at the moment. Definitely back to no upper body lifting.

I await Jim's mea culpa.

Mayo Clinic on PRP: http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2010-mchi/5702.html
    -- My brother recently had PRP at Mayo to good effect on his achilles.

March: 23 swims in 30 days with 5 days off (4 my usual Sat off). That must be a record for me.

Updated March 31st, 2012 at 11:01 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Thursday, March 29

by , March 29th, 2012 at 04:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

I did a variation of workout #3 from the HIT forum: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=20437"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

Warm up:

600 various
    10 x 25 shooters w/fins
    8 x 50 fly drills
    50 EZ

Speed/Power Sets:

100 EZ

12 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 75 EZ) @ 3:00
    1-2 fly, 10 low
    3-4 dolphin kick w/board, 10 low
    5-7 breast dolphin, 13 low, 13 flats
    8-9 back shooter, 8 highs
    10 flutter kick w/board, 10 mid
    11-12 free, 10 lows

100 EZ

25 breast w/parachute + 25 EZ

5 x 50 @ 1:45
    25 back shooter w/parachute + 25 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 3550

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was a little tired and sore from the vigorous ART session and drylands yesterday. Could really feel the extreme angle squats in the glutes and hips. So I didn't feel in full attack mode in the pool. I would have preferred to do a recovery workout today and a speed one tomorrow. But I don't have time for a long workout before my doc appt tomorrow. My times were about the same as usual though. And it was nice to focus on 25s, as I've been doing a lot of fast 50s and broken 100s.

Jim has been haranguing me on FB that I am an over user of health care because he views MRIs as unduly expensive and largely useless. http://www.minnpost.com/second-opini...ialists-charge.

He argues:

"The basic point it made [NYT article] is that if you MRI virtually anybody, those with soft tissue pain and those without it, the scan will review very similar levels of soft tissue tears and other forms of damage. Andrews did this on professional pitchers, both their shoulders and elbows, and found that MRI did not show any difference between healthy and injured players (unless the injury was acute--such as from a fall or car wreck.) All the players had damage of various sorts, but linking damage to pain is not possible from this particular kind of scan, nor did having an MRI improve the patient's outcome in any way over the long term. I know your argument is that your doctor can use the scan to find the area of damage and thus inject the platelets into the "right" place. But what the research is showing is that these scans just don't reveal what the "right" place is."

This may all be well and good, and true in many cases. But my last experience with an MRI before PRP (http://www.treatingpain.com/diagnosi...ch-plasma.html) was that it showed damage in the exact areas that were causing me pain. We treated those very areas with PRP, and over time, the pain was gone. With the MRI, the doc could see exactly where the slap lesion was, for example, and inject in that spot. So this was a successful treatment plan for me last time. I've tried everything for months now -- NSAIDs, scapular stretching, rehab exercises, icing, ART, etc. and nothing else has really alleviated the pain. I'm perfectly willing to foot the bill for PRP in the hope that it will help again in these new pain spots. I'd also be happy if the MRI ruled out some other things.

PRP for sports injuries:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...edicine-injury
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...y-really-work/

Updated March 29th, 2012 at 05:42 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Tuesday, March 27

by , March 27th, 2012 at 04:59 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
    6 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35
    8 x 25 breast dolphin w/fins @ :35

Speed Sets:

16 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    100 EZ

1 x broken AFAP 100 IM w/fins
    -- :15 rest each 25
    -- :45
    200 EZ

1 x broken AFAP 100 fly w/fins
    -- :15 rest each 25
    -- :43
    200 EZ

1 x AFAP 50 breast w/fins
    -- 28 high ish
    -- ugh, was tired, needed more rest
    100 EZ

Total: 2200

Today I really only had 55 minutes to swim, so did a Speedo-ish workout. Apparently, that was plenty as I was tired at the end. Gym + mini recovery swim tomorrow, I hope.

Had a follow up with my doc today. I felt the trigger point injections (advil, touch of cortisone) were largely ineffective in treating my shoulder/scapular issue. I had 4 choices: (1) ignore pain, (2) more cortisone, (3) prolotherapy, or (4) PRP and gamble that it won't kill my pre-nats training. I opted for #4. #1 seemed very unappealing since it's been bothering me since last December despite ART and rehab exercises. #2 not of much interest, not likely to work anyway. So I had to make some calls to get in for a shoulder and neck MRI today to have PRP this Friday. The neck MRI is to rule out a possible disc herniation in the neck, which theoretically could be causing the scapular and neck pain. Ew, really hope not. I haven't had PRP since early to mid 2008. I seem to recall I could swim a couple days after. No problem if I have to emphasize sprint kicking for a few workouts. Just hope nothing too troublesome shows up! I don't think it should unduly hinder prep for Greensboro.

I haven't slept well since last Thursday. Really tired, and feel like I'm not recovering as well. Sleep is so important for training.

I may have a record number of swims for me in a month in March. This giving up cross training thing is weird.

Updated March 27th, 2012 at 11:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Monday, March 26

by , March 26th, 2012 at 05:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands, 50 min:

rehab exercises
    flutter kicks on bosu, 100
    back extensions w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
    resisted crunches on yoga ball using double cable machine, 30 x 3 x 25 -- like these, pretty hard
    power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
    tried a few power wheel standing roll outs
    -- very hard, will take some practice, need to do it slower
    -- here's an example, though I don't think he's rolling out quite as far as he should: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXMZj5U5_Bc&feature=related"]Full Plank Power Wheel Rollouts - YouTube[/nomedia]

med ball slams, 2 x 10
    knee tuck jumps, 10
    altitude drops, 2 x 6

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various

10 x 25 shooters w/MF @ :35
    5 back, 5 belly

10 x 25 breast w/MF @ :35
    50 EZ

Speed Sets:

10 x 25 burst + cruise w/MF @ 1:00
    -- dolphin kick; 5 back, 5 belly
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP double shooter w/MF
    -- went 18 high-19 flat
    -- flipped too soon, almost no push off wall
    100 EZ

-- fast hands breast
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly w/fins
    -- went 22 mid-high
    200 EZ

6 x 25 burst + cruise @ 1:00
    -- flutter kick w/board
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly/back w/fins
    -- went 22 mid
    150 EZ

4 x 25 breast pull w/parachute @ 1:00
    :30 rest
    3 x 25 shooter w/parachute + 25 EZ @ ?
    100 EZ

Total: 3000

Did a mostly mini core workout at the gym today. Am going to revert to my regular Wed & Sun dryland schedule from here on out. Though there's not much "here on out" left, I guess. Was slightly worried I would be tired in the pool with the double, but I was fine.

I checked out the psych sheets for nationals. I think there will be a good race in the 100 back. In general, the competition in my age group is much more fierce than in Mesa with a big crop of new 50 year olds. I'm somewhat bummed that I failed to enter 50 breast on Friday. I had thought 100 fly would be a better event for me, but likely not so. I just don't think of myself as a breaststroker, so would not usually opt to swim it over a fly event. Oh well, I guess it will be good to see what I can go tapered in 100 fly.

The Jeff Commings write up on the Albatross meet:
    http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...ters/30122.asp

Updated March 26th, 2012 at 06:24 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  15. Sunday, March 25

by , March 25th, 2012 at 10:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

12 x 50 fly drills @ :15 RI
    caterpillar, chest press, single arm
    50 EZ

20 x 25 DPS breast dolphin @ :40
    -- focus on keeping head down
    50 EZ

20 x 25 @ :35-:40
    odds = up tempo free
    evens = EZ
    50 EZ

8 x 25 shooters w/fins
    50 EZ

Total: 2500

Mostly just a recovery workout. I wasn't really feeling the easy speed on the up tempo free set. Still tired from last Thursday and Friday I guess. I never do real swim workouts on the weekend anyway. The pool is usually too crazy.

Today's sightings:
    -- Elderly man in a baggy see-through white speedo
    -- Mommy practically projecting her entire body over the side of the pool to catch every minute of her kid's lesson and constantly interrupt the instructor. I had to really bite my tongue to not tell her to take a seat as she was right next to me.
    -- Another mommy arguing with the swim instructor that her child who couldn't swim a length of the pool should nonetheless be allowed in a group class in the deep end.
    -- Noodler attempting to join my lane. No, no, a thousand times no! Lanes are for lap swimming.
    -- Man swimming breast and free with his glasses on.

I had a crazy busy weekend with kids' sports. Most notable was the Polar Bear Regatta held at 64 degrees. Last year, I froze to death. Every single boat (all heavyweights of course) from our high school won. Teen Fort's boat won by over 3 lengths. But after getting up super early for me both days, I am bushed. Hopefully, I can get some quality sleep tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Friday, March 23

by , March 23rd, 2012 at 05:50 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

rehab exercises (20 min)
    wide grip lat pulldown, 70 x 3 x 8
    explosive leg press, 270 x 3 x 12
    push press, 40 x 3 x 8
    overhead squats, 45 x 1 x 8, 55 x 2 x 8
    power squats, 210 x 3 x 8
    seated narrow grip row, 70 x 3 x 12
    knee tuck jumps, 3 x 6
    altitude drops, 2 x 8

Swim/SCM @ gym pool:

Only had about 40 minutes, so did a mini-speed set. I would have liked another 1000 of Garbagio, but had to rush off. Since I was in the pool almost 2 hours again yesterday, I still feel quite righteous.

450 various

5 x through:
    4 x 25 burst + cruise
    25 EZ
    -- various: free, fast hands breast, fast doggy paddle, dolphin, back spin

125 EZ

Total: 1200 m

Stretch/Yoga, 45 min

Did not neglect my stretching today!

Unlike Water Rat, , I'm looking forward to my day off tomorrow! It's a gorgeous spring day here. I wish gorgeous days weren't associated with allergy problems. The pollen count is very high here, and I can feel the effects.

Jimby signed up for Nationals today. So it looks like our Fort-Stud-Speedo-Jimby carpool down to NC is a go!
  17. Thursday, March 22

by , March 22nd, 2012 at 04:27 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Susan Williams:

Warm up:

700 various

6 x 25 no breath free @ :35
    -- focus on breakouts
    8 x 25 shooters @ :40
    50 EZ

Main Sets w/fins or MF:

6 dolphin, 4 speed drills
    125 EZ

1 x AFAP 50 back from the blocks
    -- rolling start (probably subtracts a half second or so)
    -- 28 mid-high (couldn't see clock right away)
    -- might have gone past 15 m mark on 1st; spaced out on # kicks
    175 EZ

5 x (broken 100s AFAP dolphin kick + 100 EZ) @ 7:00 (? didn't pay attention to clock; we were chatting)

1 = break 10 seconds @ each 25
    2-3 = break 15 seconds @ each 25
    4-5 = break 30 seconds @ each 25

1 = back shooters w/MF, :40
    2 = back shooters w/MF, :43 (bonked on last 25 from lack of O2)
    3 = dolphin kick w/board & fins, :46
    4 = dolphin kick w/board & fins, :44
    5 = back shooters w/MF, :36

-- Susan had to leave

200 EZ

8 x 25 breast pull w/parachute @ 1:15
    -- decided against free b/c of shoulders, but I liked doing breast pull this way.
    100 EZ

Total: 3200

30 min stretch/foam roller/rehab exercises

So very nice to have a swim buddy to work out with! And since Susan and I focus on SDKs, the broken 100 sprint kick set was perfect for both of us with upcoming 100 backs at Nats. Legs feel pretty tired after that effort. Did my rehab exercises last night, but didn't stretch. Really need to do that later today.

I may need to hit the gym tomorrow instead of Sunday, if I can rouse myself in time. This weekend is chock full of kid stuff -- first regatta, swim meet, soccer game and 5K.

I've decided my chief concern from here until Nats is staying healthy during the spring allergy season, which has arrived early this year.

Updated March 22nd, 2012 at 07:25 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. IG, Wed., March 21

by , March 21st, 2012 at 05:35 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

3 x (4 x 50 fly drills) @ :10-:15 RI

10 x 50 @ :15 RI
    odds = 25 long breast pullout + 25 scull
    evens = fist circle breast drill w/flutter kick
    (got that drill here: http://swimswam.com/2012/03/breastro...jessica-hardy/)
    50 EZ

10 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = free
    evens = back kick
    -- smooth and easy
    -- focus on breakouts
    50 EZ

8 x 25 back shooters
    50 EZ

Total: 3050

I was pretty blasted after yesterday's hard speed workout. So I reverted to IG recovery today. Just as well because I'm swimming with backstroke and SDK specialist Susan Williams tomorrow and I don't want to be dragging my *ss for our speed workout. That will be two non-solo workouts this week.

Had a wonderful visit with the Roddins before my swim. Julie joked that I was delivering my 2013 split request form early. lol. I got to admire their new furniture and especially admire Rachel, who is about to take her first step any moment. She is adorable. Plus, Jeff said my guess of 1799 for Nationals attendance may be pretty accurate!

Will try to get in 30-45 minutes of stretching and rehab while Lil Fort is at swim practice tonight.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Tuesday, March 20

by , March 20th, 2012 at 03:30 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY w/Speedo:

Warm up:

600 various
    8 x 25 shooters
    4 x 25 no breath free
    50 scull
    4 x 50 @ 1:00 (aerobic work for the day. )

Speed Sets w/fins:

-- dolphin and speed drills
    125 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP shooter w/MF
    -- 18 high
    -- wow, I think I just broke 20 for the first time last time I tried this
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly
    -- 22 high-23 flat
    200 EZ

1 x broken AFAP 100 dolphin kick w/fins & board
    -- break :10 each 25
    -- :46
    -- much ouchy. broken 100s kicks are worse than broken 100 swims

700 IG
    -- Speedo left and I gamely carried on without him. I wanted to repeat the above sets, but didn't have the gumption to do another broken 100 right at the end. Subbed in another 50 instead.

-- all turnover speed drills
    100 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP breast
    -- 27 mid
    200 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP breast
    -- 27 mid-high
    200 EZ

1 x 50 AFAP fly-back
    -- 22 high-23 flat
    175 EZ

Total: 3800

hottub, 15 min

Was slightly tired at the beginning, probably still catching up on sleep. But that did not seem to hinder me unduly. Got in a goodly amount of speed work with 20 bursts, 5 AFAP 50s and 1 broken 100. I was in the pool almost 2 hours with all the IG. My legs are tired. Need to search for the compression leggings!

I mentioned to Speedo that I have a theory on the inconsistency of my fly breakouts. I have no idea if this is valid, and not just coincidence, but I seem to have better breakouts when swimming in 7-8 foot depth rather than 12-13 foot depth. Perhaps the somewhat shallower depth helps me gauge the breakout better? Just a thought.

Warm downs:
    http://www.swimmingscience.net/2012/...warm-down.html
    -- Interesting note: it takes longer for the neural system to recover. Since sprinting is so neural, this could explain why we sprinters can't just "get up and go" like some of you mid-D types.

Updated March 20th, 2012 at 04:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  20. Recovery Swim, Sunday, March 18

by , March 18th, 2012 at 08:21 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to the pool with Jimby this afternoon for some IG before he left for Pittsburgh. I felt fine during the swim, but like this now. Hope I can sleep tonight.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

5 x 50 fly drills

4 x 100 smooth @ 1:45

5 x through, mix up stroke & kick
    1 x 100 smooth @ 2:00
    2 x 50 smooth @ 1:00
    4 x 25 DAB @ :30

Total: 2750

My iPhone went nuts earlier today. I have to restore it. I'm worried I will have lost all the pics and vids from yesterday as they weren't backed up. Sigh. Oh well, at least I saw the flaws in my fly race.

Back to the couch for the rest of the Walking Dead marathon before the season finale.

Holy crap. I just saw that Caroline Krattli and Sue Walsh have aged up into my age group. The recent crop of 50 year olds are insanely fast.

Preliminary results from the meet:
    http://www.pvmasters.org/results/ancm0312.htm

Updated March 18th, 2012 at 09:31 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts