View RSS Feed

Swim Workouts

1. Tuesday, Aug. 24

by , August 24th, 2010 at 07:29 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

I was feeling tired, bored and listless this am, so slamming med balls seemed like a good idea. I did 2 x 25 and then realized I was too tired for rigorous drylands. For me, they require sleep. It takes awhile for me to get out of a bad sleep cycle and into a good one. Planning to head to the gym tomorrow and start down the long road to fitness and strength. Need to get fierce.

I'm considering really emphasizing drylands and reducing pool time this fall. I haven't decided yet, but I'm considering 3-4 x drylands and 1-2 x yoga per week, if I can realistically fit that in. With 4 x swim. The mix of drylands is not yet determined. I may combine some of my pre-Indy strength routine with TRX. Wrt weight lifting, I'm not sure if I should follow my usual ADD pattern and do many different exercises or whether I should focus on a few and then direct my ADD bent to core exercises. Mulling it over ...

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Set:

8 x 100 @ 1:45
    odds = free w/paddles
    evens= kick w/paddles as kickboard

75 EZ

Kick Set, Test Set:

Inspired by Chris, I have decided I need to do/track more test sets this next year. Not sure what they should consist of, but I'd like to have 3-4 sets. Any suggestions? Inspired by Geek, I decided my first one of the year would be 10 x 50 kick. However, I gave it a sprint endurance spin and did them, without fins, on the 1:15. I think this is the correct interval for a sprint endurance type set, but would happily hear other ideas. 1:00 wouldn't work as well b/c of the hypoxic element.

10 x 50 backstroke kick, no fins @ 1:15

Though I'd like to keep this as a test set, I didn't kill it today. Of course, it's hard to kill 10 of them ... I'd call today's effort a "good effort" set.

Times: 39, 39, 38, 38, 38, 37, 37, 36, 37, 36
    1st 25 = 12 SDK, 2nd 25 = 9-10 DK

125 EZ

Aerobic Set:

4 x through:

50 russian breast drill @ 1:00
    50 roll backstroke drill @ 1:00
    50 kick, done as 25 fast dolphin w/board (went 11-12s) + 25 EZ
    50 EZ

100 EZ

Total: 3100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I was reasonably pleased to get this workout in given that I have felt somewhat unmotivated and directionless lately. It's still almost 2 weeks until school starts, and I am having trouble savoring the rest of summer instead of wishing it away.

Aside from dead lifts, squats and back extensions, can anyone suggest other specific drylands for strengthening the hip extensors and back extensors? Perhaps TRX, core, overhead squats, and yoga would hit the back extensors sufficiently? (I feel like I never made any real progress in my overhead squats, which are very hard.)

Found this on a quick google:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/96...nsor-strength/

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...stability.html

This looks like a good exercise as well. The turkish get up: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...stability.html

Article on Phelps: http://ht.ly/2tUI4

Updated August 24th, 2010 at 07:53 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts
  2. Monday, Aug. 23

by , August 23rd, 2010 at 07:13 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

20 x 50 @ :50 w/fins
    odds = back kick
    evens = back

50 EZ

4 x:

100 IM/Stroke @ 1:45
    100 kick w/fins pretty fast @ 1:30
    50 fly drill

12 x 25 shooters

100 EZ

Total: 3100

Commentary:

I am rather exhausted and out of sorts from a week of very poor sleep. (Maybe from Jimsley/Stud/Michelina deprivation too. ) I contemplated snoozing on the couch this afternoon, but thought better of that and drove to OakMarr. I felt much better in the water and after swimming, though I am yawning again now.

Mr. Fort informed me that Savageman is Sept. 19. I had thought it was the week after. Had I known that, I would have approached last week differently. And regardless of that, I likely shouldn't have done so many taper workouts last week. If I had a do over, I would have done more pace & speed work Sat-Wed and just rested a couple days for the meet. Live and learn.

I still have the blahs a bit too, probably from fatigue. But I think I need to get my meets/goals in order so I can put a little fire into my training. Jimsley brought up the idea of swimming in the SCM meet in Indy at the end of October. I may consider doing this meet, which is the week after the Sprint Classic (Oct. 24). I also read that the fastest woman in the world in the 50 fly in my age group is dead lifting 255, showing the importance of hip extensors and back extensors in fly. I had better get my dryland ass in gear! I'm a weakling by comparison.

Are there any more meets in the LCM season? I'm hoping not as, according to the event rankings, my 50s are all hanging in there for TT. I'm rather surprised about my slip and fall 50 evil. I guess no one wants to swim LC evilstroke.

Updated August 24th, 2010 at 11:52 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  3. Thursday, Thursday, Aug. 19

by , August 19th, 2010 at 03:36 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

600 various

8 x 50 fly drills

8 x 25 shooters

3 x (25 AFAP w/fins + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1550

Commentary:

The weekend cannot come soon enough! I can't stand this week's dull taper workouts. I just want to get back to regular training. In retrospect, I wonder if I should have just returned to fairly normal training this week ... I felt like I had more speed when I was doing the Mason workouts or even at the beach. Still feel extremely sloggish and tired in the water now.

I may have to stop reading blogs as I am having some workout envy. Even Speedo's workout sounded appealing.

I really enjoyed watching the Pan Pacs last night. It was interesting to see some of the different fly strokes. Cielo has the odd high elbows. And Kukla had a high recovery, almost windmill like, fly. Not many masters have a high recovery fly (Chris and I come to mind). Although I've tried to get away from this somewhat in SCY, Kukla certainly had some amazing momentum using this approach, so it seems fairly suited for a LCM sprint. And the winning Aussie backstroker had a nose clip! I would appreciate it very much if those attending Zones would remind me to wear mine before the 50 back on Sunday.

On Phelps' failure to qualify for the 400 IM final:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081904535.html

Updated August 19th, 2010 at 06:00 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  4. Wed., Aug. 18

by , August 18th, 2010 at 04:20 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

3 x (4 x 25)
    25s = long breast pullout, shooter, fly drill, glide drill

3 x (4 x 25)
    25s = easy speed fly, easy, fast breast, easy

50 EZ

1 x 50 back kick @ 80% w/fins (26)

100 EZ

Total: 1500

Commentary:

I felt awful in the water today. No speed at all, and my fly felt anemic. Likely just the taper blahs and post-massage blahs (though I didn't have a deep tissue). 3 days to recover and hope some speed comes back. Or, I could be shamed in my duel with the Stud ...

I was thinking today that I'm so glad I don't have to even think about a turn at Zones this weekend.

Psych sheet:

http://www.SwimPhone.com/mobile/meet...=2490#session1.

Time line:

http://www.terrapinmasters.org/LC201...10Timeline.pdf.

B2B:

Despite the fact that I'm a wimpy sprinter, I did register our geezer relay for the Beach 2 Battleship Iron Tri today. I'm praying for a strong current. I think I need to recruit another relay member for the crazed distance geeks on my team. I don't plan on training for this at all really. I might do some quasi "base building" in September. But my focus will be a SCM meet in Dec. Next year, when I'm 50 (can't come soon enough), I may not engage in this diversion. Thank goodness wetsuits are de rigueur!

Pan Pac News & Links:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...p=usat.me#tape

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/pan...ips-pride.html

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com...red%20by%20TYR

http://www.swimnetwork.com/

http://www.omegatiming.com/swimming/...s/index_d1.htm

Updated August 18th, 2010 at 08:10 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  5. Tuesday, Aug. 17

by , August 17th, 2010 at 07:57 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various

6 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = fly drill
    evens = breast drill

6 x 25 shooters

3 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 1450

Massage:

Had a massage for the first time since Nats. I was told I was very "tight" and that my neck was a "mess." About what I expected since I haven't done much yoga or stretching all summer. That's OK, I needed a mental break this summer from the constant need to be super flexy.

Commentary:

I felt a little better in the water today. Just a few more taper workouts to get through. I'm now officially psyched for Zones since the preliminary psych sheets have come out:

http://www.terrapinmasters.org/LC201...Psych%20v1.pdf.

The way things stand at the moment, I'm quite pleased with my seeds and heats. I have some friends and competitors in all my heats. And it appears that Stud and I will go mano-a-womano in the 50 free. Excellent! (Jimby is in the next faster heat because he has a Speedo LZR jammer. )

We're celebrating the second of my 3 children's August birthdays tomorrow. Lil Fort ages up to 10. I told her she's still my "kitten."

Article on stress:

http://myfitnessdepot.com/fitness/to...-to-beat-them/.

My take home lesson wrt swimming: If I get deeked yet again breast, I will have a good laugh this time. (For the record, I am still going to pre-kick. I've been practicing non-undulation on the pulldown.)

Updated August 17th, 2010 at 08:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  6. Monday, Aug. 16

by , August 16th, 2010 at 06:38 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I accomplished everything that was supposed to happen today. Car taken to be fixed, no one smashed into me in my rental car again, no kid pooped in the pool, and we got the newest addition to our family, a 15 week old Maine Coon kitten. Now I just have to wait for the house to cool down. I was about to move out.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

750 various

Transition Sets:

8 x 50 @ 1:00
    odds = back kick
    evens = russian breast drill

8 x 25 shooters
    odds = back evens = belly

Mini Speed Set:

5 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)

75 EZ

Total: 1800

Commentary:

Felt like absolute crap in the water today, worst in weeks. Don't know if it's the effects of my mini taper or whether the heat is just making me tired. I tossed and turned a lot last night despite two fans going. I am SO looking forward to a frosty night.

And this is an odd stray thought. I've been noticing the last few weeks that sometimes my fingers and hands feel tired. Could that be from the paddle use?

I also noticed at the dreadful movie I went to the other night that James Franco looks like Rob Butcher ...

Lastly, whew, Fort Son, despite not running since last fall, made the cc team today, #2 on varsity.

One more lastly, here is a destination triathlon:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/photos/Detailed/136.html

Attached are some pics of the new addition. (I'm having some trouble uploading; will try again later.) FB link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&id=797920051.

Updated August 16th, 2010 at 10:41 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020767.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	6466   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	946_1280.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	6467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	946_1282.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	6468  
  7. Saturday, Aug. 14

by , August 14th, 2010 at 05:28 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ OakMarr:

Warm up:

700 various

10 x 25 shooters

5 x 50, 25 easy speed fly + 25 EZ

Mini Speed:

4 x (25 burst or AFAP + 50 EZ)

50 EZ

Total: 1550

Commentary:

After a very long drive, I came home last night to no AC. It wasn't a problem with the thermostat, so it must be my unit. Grrr ... I have to survive until Monday before I call. Thankfully, it is in the high 80s instead of 100 degrees here. Still, I can't sleep at all unless it's quite frosty and thus am quite tired today. i may sleep in the guest cottage where the AC works.

Mini Fort and I are going to the movies to cool off tonight. And I'm quite proud of Mini. She had to return home from the beach a few days early to attend volleyball tryouts. She did great, and she had the highest fitness score of anyone on the teams (push ups, curl ups, vertical jump, mile run, shuttle run, etc).

Was mulling over Jimby's suit/gender thread and his dire prognostications about psychological despair over non tech suit times ... I've never wasted a nanosecond of time or brain space worrying about my lifetime bests or age groups times vis-a-vis my masters times. (Indeed, I can't remember some of my times.) So, I am brashly and tentatively concluding -- I may be proved wrong -- that I will not be bothered by the slow down caused by the tech suit ban. I'm just going to chuck my B70 times and start over. Or use my prior times in full body Pros as a basis of comparison, if I even need a basis of comparison.

No psych sheet yet for Zones. I think the PV meet director may have more pressing things to attend to!

Updated August 14th, 2010 at 05:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  8. Thursday, Aug. 12

by , August 12th, 2010 at 08:47 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Sets:

5 x 100 free w/paddles @ 1:45

15 x 50, done as:

5 x 50 breast @ 1:15

5 x (25 shooter + 25 EZ)

5 x (25 EZ speedy fly w/fins + 25 EZ)

50 EZ

Speed Work w/fins:

1 x 50 AFAP

150 EZ

4 x (25 AFAP + 50 EZ)

100 EZ

Total: 2600

Commentary:

z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z

I'm a little bored out of my mind workout wise. And I always find taper type workouts dull. I can't really tell how I feel in the water. I'm more tired than usual at my Y swims, but I think that's likely due to sitting on the beach for a couple hours beforehand. And my arms/shoulders are somewhat more tired than normal (usually it's my legs that are dead). I suppose that's from ocean swimming and the periodic use of paddles. At least the upper body rests up faster than the legs (at least for me). Tomorrow, I'm going to take a rest day as I drive home. Next week, a massage and more snoozy floaty taper workouts. I'm looking forward to Zones and getting back to more interesting training. Poor Jimby is worried I'm going to smoke him in the 50 free at Zones due to lack of a belly cover. Methinks he forgot that he swam perfectly fast at Zones in his Speedo LZR jammer ...

I managed to leave the beach without any burning! Or being caught in rip tides. I read that lifeguards rescued 214 people on one of the red flag days.
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  9. Wed., Aug. 11

by , August 11th, 2010 at 07:31 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    That's it. I'm beyond tired of applying sunscreen. I think 10 days at the beach is enough for me. 1 week is slightly too short to achieve max relaxation; 2 weeks is slightly too long. Unless you're somewhere else perhaps. I spent most of the day reading my book and floating over waves or on an inner tube.

Anyhoo, as I had done a couple speed workouts in a row, I opted for a "recovery" ocean swim today. I swam from the Johnny Mercer pier to the other end of the island and walked back. No idea how far that was. It seemed like quite a bit, and I got bored. I'm naturally happier in the pool. Mr. Fort made some noises about me converting to OW swimming in my old age. I brushed this off, and believe he was thinking quite selfishly in suggesting this. hehe

I hope I wake up and actually get psyched when I get home for Zones. A certain ennui has set in with so much vacationing and inadequate training & training goals. I am a bit jealous of those in PR; it sounds like a fabulous time. And the PV contingent is acquitting themselves very well.

A related article on happiness:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...make-you-happy

Updated August 18th, 2010 at 06:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  10. Swim, Tuesday, Aug. 10

by , August 10th, 2010 at 08:33 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo @ Y:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Set:

8 x 100 @ 2:00, aerobic mode

2 each of 100 free w/paddles, 100 russian breast drill, 100 back, 100 kick

50 EZ
    (1550)

Speed Work:

10 x 50 @ 1:15, working on hand speed
    odds = 25 power breast pull w/buoy + 25 EZ
    evens = 15 backstroke spin drill + 35 easy

6 x 50 breast kick, cruise
    odds = 1 pull, 3 kicks UW
    evens = kick on back

3 x through w/fins:

1 x 25 AFAP free
    1 x 50 EZ
    1 x 25 easy speed fly
    1 x 50 EZ

100 EZ

Mini Hypoxic Set:

8 x 25 shooters w/fins

50 EZ

Total: 3200

Commentary:

Same routine as yesterday. I was on the beach for a couple hours, ate lunch and headed to the Y for a little speed work. I timed it to arrive after the Tri Group, and ended up having a lane of my own. No noodler incidents. Then headed back to the beach. I finished reading Dead End Gene Pool, which you must read if you think your family is dysfunctional. Started reading Open, Andre Agassi's autobiography. Planning on watching A Single Man tonight. Life feels very lazy. I will be quite quite spoiled when I get back to the inexorable routine of food gathering and preparing and chauffeuring. Fortunately, summer doesn't end until after Labor Day in DC, which, btw, is a good place to be away from right now.

Here's a P90X article on nutrition that I saw on FB:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/p90...cial_fbpn#fbpn

My son turns 18 tomorrow. I can hardly believe it ...
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  11. Monday, Aug 9

by , August 9th, 2010 at 09:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Another beautiful beach day. I had no desire to make the trek to the Y today, so I braved the ocean. Probably not so wise. It was a yellow flag day and very choppy. Plus, I was swimming against the current somewhat. I felt like I was going nowhere. I swam about halfway to the far pier in almost the same time it took to go the whole way last week. No idea how OW swimmers do this all the time ... I'll head back to the Y tomorrow for some sprints.

Mr. Fort had much better luck. He rode part of the B2B course, going 68 miles and averaging 22.3 mph. He's anxious to see how fast he'll be with zipps.

Heading home on Friday. I'll be beached out by then. I've managed to weasel out of a small family reunion that weekend involving travel and young children. I need to get back to my own pool, dammit! And I need to start plotting some good 3-4 day escapes for the rest of the year. I also need to start formulating a training plan like Patricks. Not sure what my meet agenda will be (although I will plan on the Sprint Classic).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  12. Monday, Aug 9

by , August 9th, 2010 at 09:32 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Another beautiful beach day. I had no desire to make the trek to the Y today, so I braved the ocean. Probably not so wise. It was a yellow flag day and very choppy. Plus, I was swimming against the current somewhat. I felt like I was going nowhere. I swam about halfway to the far pier in almost the same time it took to go the whole way last week. No idea how OW swimmers do this all the time ... I'll head back to the Y tomorrow for some sprints.

Mr. Fort had much better luck. He rode part of the B2B course, going 68 miles and averaging 22.3 mph. He's anxious to see how fast he'll be with zipps.

Heading home on Friday. I'll be beached out by then. I've managed to weasel out of a small family reunion that weekend involving travel and young children. I need to get back to my own pool, dammit! And I need to start plotting some good 3-4 day escapes for the rest of the year. I also need to start formulating a training plan like Patricks. Not sure what my meet agenda will be (although I will plan on the Sprint Classic).
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  13. Sunday, Aug. 8

by , August 8th, 2010 at 06:58 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Swim/SCY/Solo:

Travelled to the Wilmington Y again and lined up at the door with the triathletes when it opened at 1:00 pm.

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Set:

16 x 50 drill, 4 of each stroke

8 x 50, done as 25 EZ speed fly + 25 EZ

50 EZ
    (1950)

Speed Set:

3 x (1 x 50 AFAP + 2 x 50 EZ)
    (1 breast, 1 back kick and 1 back -- times were OK, given the shallow pool and wall lane)

6 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ)

Warm down:

3 x 100 free w/paddles

6 x 50, done as 25 dolphin dive + 25 breast drill (1 pull, 3 kicks UW)

50 EZ

Total: 3350

Commentary:

Hit the beach in the morning and then went to the Y. There were mostly tris and perhaps one masters swimmer there. And then, alas, a noodler happened into the lap pool. She came to my lane and asked (albeit sweetly) if it was OK if she noodled around at one end of my lane; she was "sure" this would not effect my workout. WTF?! Seriously inane, as she had seen me (and other real lap swimmers) actually "swimming." I said (likewise sweetly) "no, that wouldn't work at all." For a change, the lifeguard backed me up and told her to noodle in the ramp area.

Had a smoothie and returned to the beach. Getting ready to dine out. I'm trying not to cook much on this vacation.

I looked at the results for Worlds. The times look significantly slower than last year's FINA rankings, that's for sure. The winning time in the 50 back in my age group was 34.1. There's been much speculation about who (men or women) and what type of swimmer will be most effected by the suit change. I have to think it would be more significant in LCM than SCY for masters, despite the suits helping on the walls.

Interesting article in the NYT about experience trumping hedonic adaptation if happiness is your goal. We should attend swim meets instead of buying fancy cars. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/bu...s&st=cse&scp=1.

NYT article on Jessica Hardy: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/sp...ardy&st=Search.

Updated August 9th, 2010 at 09:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  14. Twice Foiled! Sat., Aug. 7

by , August 7th, 2010 at 07:51 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I was foiled twice today in my attempts to swim. But this time it wasn't thunder and lightening. Much more prosaic -- the dreaded kid pooping in the pool mid workout and a red flag day at the beach. I seem to get more aggravated with every increasing kid incident. (And, for the record, my 3 kids never closed down a pool.) And this time, the kids weren't even supposed to be in the lap pool at the Y ... So all I got in was the following warm up, which was supposed to precede some fast 25s and 50s.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Transition Sets:

5 x 50 single arm fly @ :15 RI

5 x 50 breast drill (alternating dolphin kick and breast kick) @ 1:00

3 x:

1 x 50 breast pull w/buoy
    1 x 100 free w/paddles

Total: 1650

Kid turd interruption ... I guess I'm officially "tapering" now ...

I dashed back to the beach to hop in and do a pier to pier swim, but no dice. It was a red flag day and the lifeguards weren't letting swimmers out very deep, certainly not past the surfers. So, another poor swimming day. I plan to attempt to hit the Y again tomorrow, as I suspect it will be another red flag day due to tropical storms at sea. In the meantime, I did finish the Stieg Larsson series and we did manage to rent the Swedish movie of book #1. I wouldn't be surprised if there were ultimately other books written, as he apparently left copious notes upon his death. I read somewhere that Daniel Craig will play Michael Blomkvist. Wrt the trilogy, I basically agree with the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/bo...ewanted=1&_r=1.

And another NYT article about disgusting side effects of gym going: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/he...me&ref=general.

Updated August 7th, 2010 at 11:45 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  15. Return to the Pool, Thursday, Aug. 5

by , August 5th, 2010 at 06:03 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    I reluctantly dragged myself away from the beach today to venture to the Wilmington YMCA.

Swim/Solo/SCY:

Warm up:

600 various

Transition Sets:

8 x (25 shooter + 25 front scull)

8 x 50 breast drill (regular breast pull and alternating dolphin kick and breast kick) @ 1:05

10 x 50 kick-swim w/fins @ :50
    odds = back kick
    evens = back swim

My backstroke felt inexplicably great and very smooth. This seemed odd since I've done so little of it lately.

50 EZ
    (1950)

Speed Work:

6 x through:

1 x 25 easy speed fly
    1 x 25 EZ DAB
    1 x 25 AFAP free
    1 x 50 EZ

5 x 50, done as 25 fast breast pull w/buoy + 25 EZ kick

50 EZ

3 x through:

1 x 50 fast flutter kick w/board
    1 x 100 free w/paddles

100 EZ

Total: 3550

Commentary:

The Y was pretty crowded today, and I made the mistake of overlapping with the lunch Tri Group, so I had to share a lane the entire time. The Tri Group had some pretty decent swimmers. No desire to join in their workout though as the first set was 2 x 800.

It felt fabulous to be in a pool swimming after 4 days of the ocean. I tried to work on my stroke technique after getting jostled around so much in the ocean. My legs, unfortunately, did have some lingering fatigue from 4 days of running (albeit very short distances). I probably need to knock off the running as Zones is only 2+ weeks away.

I hadn't really given any thoughts to tapering. Right now I seem to have some raw speed and some endurance, but not much speed endurance. I guess I'll try to get in some speed work this weekend and next week and then just be lazy when I return from the beach. I've already dropped drylands obviously. I really have no idea what to expect at Zones. I don't feel like I can really compare my times to last year's Indy times b/c my training has been so different. Between that and the suit change, my times could be quite a bit slower. C'est la vie. It'll actually be nice to have a low pressure meet and hang out with friends.

Tom left me a great link to Ryan Lochte's drylands:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3JJuXDyhc"]YouTube- ‪Ryan Lochte Training‬‎[/nomedia]

After that non-rigorous workout, I sat on the beach for several hours. I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, which is a page turner. I like this volume better than the second volume.

Now, it's margarita time!

Updated August 9th, 2010 at 09:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  16. Tues & Wed, Aug 3-4

by , August 4th, 2010 at 11:36 AM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Tuesday:

Did my usual "1.7" mile pier to pier swim followed by a pier to pier run. The water was extremely choppy yesterday. The swim felt almost like a weight workout. After that, I decided to give OW swims a break for a bit. (Of course, this morning the ocean is relatively calm.) At one point, I saw one of the lifeguards dash into the water to get some kids away from a rip tide.

Later in the day, went on a 3 mile walk with the 4 little kids to get ice cream and later attempted to surf with the 4 teenage girls in the house. Epic fail. Felt like a clod.

Wednesday:

Having resolved to skip an OW swim today, I ventured out for a pier to pier to pier run of 3.5129 miles. I wore my running shoes b/c it was not a super low tide. It was way too hot. If I had a brain in my head, I would've run barefoot and in my swimsuit so that I could have taken a dip half way through.

I may go the Y later today, if I feel like it. Mr. Fort and I are going to a tri store later today as well. I'm hoping they have suits. I just killed one of my speedo endurance suits after 2+ years. The elastic just gave out. Mr. Fort has become a complete bike addict. Yesterday, he went 75 miles up to speeds of 28 mph, getting used to his new aero bars. Today, he was doing intervals.

Off to make a smoothie ...

Edit: Didn't make it to the Y; didn't feel like it. Did a short swim in the ocean instead. It was quite rough this afternoon. Tried swimming against the current for the heck of it. No thanks.

Updated August 4th, 2010 at 04:55 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38815_420096306434_603946434_4519249_4457448_n.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	6460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40689_419969646434_603946434_4516274_6169668_n.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	6461  
  17. P2P Redux, Monday, Aug. 2

by , August 2nd, 2010 at 09:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Beach Swim/Run:

It was a gorgeous day here in NC. About 85 degrees and sunny -- perfect beach day. After sleeping in, I headed to the beach. After a good bit of Stieg Larsson reading, I headed out for my "1.7" pier to pier swim and run. This time, I added some of what Jazz calls "burst" freestyle where I'd go fast for 15 meters or so. After all the interval work I do, and long rest interval work at that, being in the ocean and swimming virtually non-stop is quite odd. I still feel no inclination to go to the Y, though, so I'll stick to the ocean for another couple days. Perhaps tomorrow, I'll swim to the pier, take a break, and then swim back. IF the current isn't too bad. Today, it was fairly neutral and it wasn't as choppy.

Looks like the was temps for the race I'm contemplating here in November is 60-low 70s. http://www.beach2battleship.com/course.cfm.

Almost done with "The Girl That Played With Fire," and then off to the next volume.

Cheers!

Updated August 2nd, 2010 at 09:18 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts
  18. P2P Redux, Monday, Aug. 2

by , August 2nd, 2010 at 09:10 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    It was a gorgeous day here in NC. About 85 degrees and sunny -- perfect beach day. After sleeping in, I headed to the beach. After a good bit of Stieg Larsson reading, I headed out for my "1.7" pier to pier swim and run. This time, I added some of what Jazz calls "burst" freestyle where I'd go fast for 15 meters or so. After all the interval work I do, and long rest interval work at that, being in the ocean and swimming virtually non-stop is quite odd. I still feel no inclination to go to the Y, though, so I'll stick to the ocean for another couple days. Perhaps tomorrow, I'll swim to the pier, take a break, and then swim back. IF the current isn't too bad. Today, it was fairly neutral and it wasn't as choppy.

Almost done with "The Girl That Played With Fire," and then off to the next volume.

Cheers!
    Categories
    Swim Workouts
  19. Pier to Pier, Sunday, Aug. 1

by , August 1st, 2010 at 04:34 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Made it to the beach after a hectic day yesterday. It's rather cloudy today, but no matter -- the salt water, the sand, the ocean air ... aaaahhhh.

I did my favorite ocean workout -- swimming from pier to pier and then running back on the beach. Pier to pier is 1.7 miles, and I definitely went more than that as the waves were choppy, the current was strong and, well, I can't swim straight. I used my gold metallic B70 OW goggles, which I love. I swam about 2/3 free and 1/3 breast. I like doing breast in the ocean because I can see where I'm going! To my dismay, Mr. Fort took my MF out of the car (which did only have a dead battery) when he was packing up, so I can't play with it in the ocean.

And I'm done with SL swimming! Our Divisional Champs were yesterday. Mini Fort did surprisingly well. She's been on the Jazz Hands program (swim 1x a week and hit the gym 2-3x per week). She dropped 1.5 seconds off her 50 fly time. More anecdotal proof that actual swim workouts are not necessarily needed for 50 sprints.

NYT Article on Amanda Beard:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/sp...20Beard&st=cse

Was checking on the B2B website. It mentions that swim booties and neoprene caps are allowed. What on earth are "swim booties"?

Updated August 1st, 2010 at 06:02 PM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts , Running
  20. Thursday, July 29

by , July 29th, 2010 at 11:09 PM (The FAF AFAP Digest)
    Drylands:

Zippo! I was foiled in my plan for afternoon drylands by the bizarre rantings of ConnieKat. (The most hilarious were her haughty aspersions on my join date. lol) Probably for the best anyway, as my legs and hammies are still sore.

Swim/Team/LCM:

I made it out to Mason for my last LCM workout before turning into a lazy beach turd. One of our teammates was beginning his 10 day taper for PR, so we had a taperish/sprint workout in his honor. I loved it, though this "200 pace" thingie is all highly theoretical in my case.

Warm up:

2 x (300 swim + 100 kick)

2 x (100 pull w/buoy + 50 scull)

I missed about 200 of this, as usual.

Transition Sets:

4 x 50 free @ 1:15, done as 25 closed fists + 25 regular free

4 x 100 kick @ 2:15, done as 50 choice and 50 fast

I did backstroke kick. I didn't have a fast gear, though, so I went at a fast mod clip.

Main Set:

100 drill in stroke you are doing on following set

8 x 50 @ 1:05 @ 200 pace +2 seconds

200 EZ

6 x 50 @ 1:05 @ 200 pace +1

200 EZ

4 x 50 @ 1:05 @ 200 pace

200 EZ

2 x 50 @ 1:05 @ 200 pace -1

Theoretically, these were supposed to be all the same stroke. I swam with fins. I did the first set back and went 34, 35, 35, 35, 35, 35, 35, 34. I guesstimate that is likely somewhat faster than my 200 pace. I swam the 6 50s breaststroke. (Yes, this may be the first time in my masters career that I've swum fast LCM breast in practice!) I went 35, 36, 37, 37, 37, 37. On the 4 50s, I went back to backstroke and tried for 100 pace. Went 32, 33, 33, 33. On the 2 50s, I swam evil again @ 100 pace and went 34, 35. The set was intended to prep everyone for their LCM 200 races. I just swam hard and liked the set. I'm super tired after that effort again.

200 EZ

Total: 3400

Commentary:

No comment today. I am all commented out on the forum.

Updated July 30th, 2010 at 11:22 AM by The Fortress

Categories
    Swim Workouts